PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Leaner Mason Aims To Keep Key Role

duncan228
08-14-2009, 11:35 PM
Leaner Mason aims to keep key role (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Leaner_Mason_aims_to_keep_key_role.html)
Mike Monroe

When talks aimed at securing a new collective bargaining agreement linking the NBA and its players' union began last week in New York, no team was represented, on both sides, quite like the Spurs.

National Basketball Players Association vice-president Roger Mason Jr., the Spurs shooting guard, took a moment to welcome his fellow NBPA vice-president, Theo Ratliff, the recently signed Spurs center, to his new team.

So, too, did Peter Holt, the Spurs CEO who was elected chairman of the NBA owners' negotiating committee.

Mason's message to his newest teammate when they met in New York: “You're going to love being a Spur.”

“That was the first time I'd seen Theo since the last Players Association meeting,” Mason said of a negotiating session he called strictly informational and cordial. “I welcomed him to the team, but he's such a vet he probably knows more about the Spurs than I do.”

Mason was back in San Antonio last week, visiting friends and speaking to youngsters at the Eastside Boys and Girls Club. He said he has watched the Spurs front office recast the roster this summer with an appreciative eye and a determined spirit.

Mason has heard — too often, he says — that the addition of swingman Richard Jefferson and the return of a healthy Manu Ginobili will affect his role this season. Determined to follow his best season — career highs in games and minutes played, 3-point percentage and scoring average — he expects to continue as a key contributor.

“I've been getting that question a lot,” he said of inquiries about his post-makeover role. “I know I'm not where I want to be, as far as my game's progression. The main thing is, I want to know I'm going to continue to progress, especially on this team.

“Last year I had a good year. This year, I want to have an even better one.”

To that end, Mason was back in the gym just days after the Spurs' first-round playoff ouster in April, focused on getting lean. He says he has reduced his body fat by four percentage points.

“This is the first summer I've been able to focus on my legs and my body,” he said. “I'm trying to be way more active. That's my biggest thing this year.”

Mason is sensitive to criticism of his postseason play. His scoring average in five playoff games against the Mavericks dipped by nearly five points from the regular season. He made only 1 of 6 3-point attempts in the final three games. By Game 5, his playing time was nearly gone.

“I would say this: The first couple of games I played well,” he said. “The first game I had 13 points and played solid defense, and I thought I brought the energy. The second game I had double figures, shot 50 percent.

“The last three games, I didn't play as well. That's fine. Did I think I could have done better? Sure.”

Postseason disappointment manifested in motivation.

“As soon as the season ended, I really went to work,” he said. “I worked on my quickness and my core and getting my legs back. I feel like I've made some pretty good improvement.”

Mason says the team's offseason changes have re-energized everyone.

“Everybody is excited about what we've done. There's a buzz in the air. We're all looking forward to being in training camp soon.

“I know we're going to work harder and we're going to try to improve from last year. That's the only thing I'd ever promise. But the effort is going to be there, that's for sure.”

ducks
08-14-2009, 11:36 PM
so duncan and him lost wait
holt spent more tax money this year

spurs want to win it all

ducks
08-14-2009, 11:37 PM
To that end, Mason was back in the gym just days after the Spurs' first-round playoff ouster in April, focused on getting lean. He says he has reduced his body fat by four percentage points.

spursfaninla
08-15-2009, 12:00 AM
he will be the starter probably, and will get 20+ minutes a night IF Hill does not steal minutes from him.

Keeping Manu under 30 MPG is very important, so mason can get 20 minutes easily.

Galileo
08-15-2009, 12:12 AM
so duncan and him lost wait
holt spent more tax money this year

spurs want to win it all

Duncan lost weight? Where did you hear that? Is it confirmed?

duncan228
08-15-2009, 12:14 AM
Duncan lost weight? Where did you hear that? Is it confirmed?

He lost 15 pounds, he's 240.

Ludden.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132942

Galileo
08-15-2009, 12:17 AM
OK, thanks, I missed that. But didn't Duncan just "add weight" in the weightroom last year, now he loses weight? Is he not back where he started, or is he leaner with more muscle?

duncan228
08-15-2009, 12:22 AM
Is he not back where he started, or is he leaner with more muscle?

He hasn't been listed as less than 255 in years. He looks lean. Recent pic.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3622338&postcount=73

completely deck
08-15-2009, 12:29 AM
Can. Not. Wait.

BlackBellamy
08-15-2009, 12:35 AM
he certainly looks back to PF shape, good news for Dunc's knees I'm sure. Maybe Mason can create his own shot this year or run a fast break, he was exposed as a one trick pony in the Mavs series and I'm sure he's trained to recover in the O.S. So f'n' :hungry:!

WildcardManu
08-15-2009, 12:35 AM
Just missing the flux capacitor and my time machine will be done and i can jump to the end of october and watch the spurs. Will be back with news of how they are doing. :downspin::downspin:

lurker23
08-15-2009, 12:40 AM
I really do hope Mason retains his role as starting SG. I think that's where he fits best on this team, and it's the best place to get him enough minutes to be effective.

silverblackfan
08-15-2009, 01:07 AM
God this looks like a hungry Spurs team! I am so stoked to see the motivation and thought by the players and Holt to get ready for this season. I can't remember a year that I was anticipating as much as this one.
Bring it.

z0sa
08-15-2009, 01:08 AM
mason was one of the biggest surprises of the season til Pop started playing him at backup PG half the time.

lefty
08-15-2009, 01:36 AM
Mason is fucking clutch

He has ice in his blood, that guy is not fucking normal

timtonymanu
08-15-2009, 02:27 AM
Good read about Mason! Happy the guy is working his ass off.

I hope he keeps the starting SG job.

lurker23
08-15-2009, 02:38 AM
This article reminded me of a quote from last year. It came at the end of a Michael Wilbon column on Roger Mason Jr.:

"Mason was a little taken aback during his appearance on All-Star Saturday (in the three-point shootout) that Kobe Bryant and LeBron James, among others, were coming up to him to congratulate him on having a great season.

The conversation turned to having, at long last, made it, and Mason was having none of it. "This is just my second year getting real playing time . . . I've got a lot of room for improvement, I flew my trainer [Joe Connelly, brother of Wizards Director of Player Personnel Tim Connelly] out to All-Star Weekend. And I told him: 'I'm really going to get to work this summer. I will be a better player next year.' " "

Full story can be found here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/21/AR2009022101820.html

So far, sounds like Mason has been true to his word.

HarlemHeat37
08-15-2009, 03:17 AM
Just keep him at the 2, and Roger will be fine..good to see that he's working hard on his game though..

boutons_deux
08-15-2009, 03:19 AM
"guy is not fucking normal"

... until mid-April

lefty
08-15-2009, 03:21 AM
"guy is not fucking normal"

... until mid-April
Which coincided with Pop playing him as a PG

angelbelow
08-15-2009, 03:23 AM
Keep up the great work Mase!

Baseline
08-15-2009, 04:32 AM
If Pop doesn't force-feed him intot he Pg slot, MAson willbe fine.

I blame last year's Mason fizzle on Pop, who didn't trust George at backup when he should have. That moronic move cost both Hill and Mason valuable growth time.

Spur|n|Austin
08-15-2009, 05:21 AM
This article reminded me of a quote from last year. It came at the end of a Michael Wilbon column on Roger Mason Jr.:

"Mason was a little taken aback during his appearance on All-Star Saturday (in the three-point shootout) that Kobe Bryant and LeBron James, among others, were coming up to him to congratulate him on having a great season.

The conversation turned to having, at long last, made it, and Mason was having none of it. "This is just my second year getting real playing time . . . I've got a lot of room for improvement, I flew my trainer [Joe Connelly, brother of Wizards Director of Player Personnel Tim Connelly] out to All-Star Weekend. And I told him: 'I'm really going to get to work this summer. I will be a better player next year.' " "

Full story can be found here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/21/AR2009022101820.html

So far, sounds like Mason has been true to his word.

Bruno
08-15-2009, 05:24 AM
“As soon as the season ended, I really went to work,” he said. “I worked on my quickness and my core and getting my legs back. I feel like I've made some pretty good improvement.”

Mason will need to play better defense this year. Being quicker will surely help him to do that.

08-15-2009, 05:25 AM
what concerns me is that mason has semi disappeared in the playoffs for two straight years now. spurs need depth at the shooting guard position during the playoffs for sure so mason will be key. hopefully he becomes a better defender too.

pawe
08-15-2009, 10:52 AM
What concerns me is the dreaded 2nd year slump with being a Spur. Hope he doesn't lose his shooting groove this year when Pop finally relieves him of PG duties and concentrate on spot up elbow and corner 3s.
I see 21mpg, 9ppg, .440 3p% this season for my favorite Spur.

silverblackfan
08-15-2009, 12:52 PM
He will be fine. He now know the system and what is expected in the playoffs. This guy is learning from his mistakes and motivated to improve. If he stays at the starting 2, we are going to very dangerous for kick outs from tony or RJ on second pass.

loveforthegame
08-15-2009, 12:56 PM
Good to hear. Sounds like everyone is hungry for the new season. :tu

rayray2k8
08-15-2009, 01:07 PM
The hell? I expect him to be the spurs starting SG. What the hell is he so worried about? If anybody should be
worried, it's Finley.

dbestpro
08-15-2009, 01:28 PM
I like Mason, but I don't like his self assessment of the playoffs. Playing average for 2 games is not good enough. It's playoff time. You got to bring it to get the ring.

ClingingMars
08-15-2009, 03:37 PM
Not surprised to see a UVa man VP of the NBAPA ;)

but good to hear he's workin' hard, wouldn't expect anything else

wildbill2u
08-16-2009, 01:31 PM
Want to see a leaner meaner quicker version of the Spurs this year. And it looks like the players do as well.

The season always looks great from the viewpoint of the Summer doldrums, but I swear I can hardly wait for camp to open

DPG21920
08-16-2009, 07:24 PM
Mason will need to play better defense this year. Being quicker will surely help him to do that.

That is exactly what I thought when I read this. Very smart by him to make improvements that will help him the most on the court as a basketball player. Not just as a numbers guy.

Chieflion
08-16-2009, 07:44 PM
The guys are all trying to lose weight now.

Off-topic: Yesterday, my country had a national day rally speech by the Prime Minister. He said being obese is a problem and he used USA as an example stating that 3 out of 4 guys are overweight, causing a laugh from his ministers.

mountainballer
08-17-2009, 07:18 AM
I'm pretty sure the Spurs coaching staff prescribed a special stamina program to Mason.
he ran out of gas in the middle of last season (IMO it was this fact that caused Pop to try to play him at backup PG, it was a try to reduce the workload).
he never played as many minutes as last season and he has never been an outstanding athlete to begin with. the mix of reduced weight, better shape and minutes in the 20-25 MPG area should (hopefully) help him to survive the regular season and be effective in the PO.
the question will be, who can defend the strong SGs. (even a heavier Mason wasn't able to do this well last year). this is one of the remaining holes of this roster. RJ will be needed to guard the athletic SFs. maybe Hairston helps in this department, but I don't think he is ready yet.

TJastal
08-17-2009, 09:46 AM
I'm pretty sure the Spurs coaching staff prescribed a special stamina program to Mason.
he ran out of gas in the middle of last season (IMO it was this fact that caused Pop to try to play him at backup PG, it was a try to reduce the workload).
he never played as many minutes as last season and he has never been an outstanding athlete to begin with. the mix of reduced weight, better shape and minutes in the 20-25 MPG area should (hopefully) help him to survive the regular season and be effective in the PO.
the question will be, who can defend the strong SGs. (even a heavier Mason wasn't able to do this well last year). this is one of the remaining holes of this roster. RJ will be needed to guard the athletic SFs. maybe Hairston helps in this department, but I don't think he is ready yet.

I think if Mason loses a few pounds it should help his defense, so that should help out. I think Manu can also fill this void if he focuses on defense instead of offense (spurs shouldn't need his offense as badly his year w/ Jefferson).

The young guns: George Hill will also be used against the smaller, quicker SG's. Hairston is there for the bigger ones that are adept at posting up. I expect both of these guys to get PT this year.

I think as a whole the spurs philosophy this year will remain defense first, but they defenitely have the offensive firepower now to not have to rely on shutting teams down completely in order to win.

mountainballer
08-17-2009, 10:24 AM
I think if Mason loses a few pounds it should help his defense, so that should help out. I think Manu can also fill this void if he focuses on defense instead of offense (spurs shouldn't need his offense as badly his year w/ Jefferson).

The young guns: George Hill will also be used against the smaller, quicker SG's. Hairston is there for the bigger ones that are adept at posting up. I expect both of these guys to get PT this year.

I think as a whole the spurs philosophy this year will remain defense first, but they defenitely have the offensive firepower now to not have to rely on shutting teams down completely in order to win.

all true. I would still feel better if I knew who will defend Kobe, JR Smith, Josh Howard, Roy etc. and I don't think it's a good idea to increase Manu's workload on defense. we will still need his creativity and explosiveness on offense much more than what RJ adds. a defensive workhorse for the wing will be needed.
(to replace Fin, he will be the weakest spot of our wing rotation)

Blackjack
08-17-2009, 11:48 PM
Leaner, Quicker, Stronger (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/08/17/leaner-quicker-stronger/)
by Timothy Varner

Mike Monroe reports that Roger Mason Jr. dropped his body fat percentage this summer in an effort to become “more active.” (I know, I’m late to the Monroe article.)

Johnny Ludden tells us that Tim Duncan is down to 240.

The arrival of skinny Timmy and a slim Mase raises my curiosity, but in a way you might not expect. I’m not thinking about either of them zipping to the hoop on a back cut.

The Spurs offseason transformation produced a more athletic roster, albeit one full of ambitious outsiders such as Marcus Haislip, Marcus Williams, Ian Mahinmi and Malik Hairston–guys who still must prove they belong in the NBA. But all things considered, team speed is on the come up. Even the Spurs’ newest late career reclamation project, Antonio McDyess, is capable of getting up and down the floor with a reasonably swift foot.

Offseason acquisitions Richard Jefferson and Antonio McDyess improve team scoring. In terms of career averages, they bring 30 points a night. We know, however, that the Spurs won’t average 127 points per game. Nevertheless, the Spurs hope to edge their per game average up from 97. But they’re not going to touch the Lakers gaudy 106.9 points per game. I’ll be happy if they creep into triple digits.

Their task is to keep the Lakers from scoring 107 on them. Enter the Spurs’ new gazelles.

This takes us back to leaner, quicker, stronger. The stronger in this case is a stronger defense. The players are leaner and quicker.

The prospect of Parker pushing an honest three man break (as opposed to his one man whirling dervish routine) is exciting to me, but not as much as the possibility of the team’s defense returning to form. A lighter Duncan, a quicker Mason Jr., athletic options in Richard Jefferson, George Hill, and Marcus Haislip, could signal a livelier, pestering team defense. Quintessentially disciplined, but swarmingly so.

The Spurs were one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA at the start of last season. Uncharacteristically dreadful. They crawled back to respectability by season’s end, but never to a place of dominance. Let’s hope the new personnel helps the Spurs return to their familiar spot atop the defensive efficiency rankings.