PDA

View Full Version : Who longs for the days of the NBA on NBC?

DMX7
08-15-2009, 02:24 PM
After watching this video from somebody's sig, it brought back the memories.

But seriously, ESPN and ABC suck for NBA coverage. FSN & TNT have managed to get record braking ratings while ESPN & ABC (which are related and took NBC's contract) continue to fall apart.

They are getting slightly better though. I know getting rid of Stephen A. Smith was smart because that brought them at least one more Nielsen Household, mine!

V_h7Lm7C9Nk

Unholy Turkey
08-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Yeah, even though I have that video I can barely remember when I was a kid and I would be watching NBA games on the NBC. I remember how classic it was and how it had that 90's ring to it. It was awesome.

djohn2oo8
08-15-2009, 02:33 PM
yeah, that was the best theme music......someone turned it into a motivational sports song

BlackBellamy
08-15-2009, 03:34 PM
John Tesh is a theme song genius! The full song might be the most epic track ever. :lol

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-15-2009, 03:39 PM
I can still remember that from when I was a kid watching Jazz vs. Bulls

Bob Lanier
08-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Nobody does. ABC/ESPN's presentation is so much better that the idea is inconceivable.

Unholy Turkey
08-15-2009, 06:17 PM
Really? I think most people long for the nostalgic feel of it. When my cousins and I watched some Rockets games with each other during the season, our parents would always come and rave about the NBA on NBC.
I watched some clips of the Bulls vs Jazz and then when I watched the 08 Finals I saw how much the NBC version brought that tense feeling to it. No way does ABC or ESPN have anything in comparison to NBC.

jacobdrj
08-15-2009, 07:34 PM
I miss NBA on NBC. I felt cheated that my Pistons didn't get to win their championship on NBC. Made it seem a little less valid.

Darthkiller
08-15-2009, 07:37 PM
nba on nbc rocked. tripple header ftw. abc doesnt even show any games.

braeden0613
08-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Nobody does. ABC/ESPN's presentation is so much better that the idea is inconceivable.
Huh? I guess their graphics and scoreboards look better but it is 7+ years since the last NBC broadcast. I remember sitting around the house as a kid and hearing the music...good times. The triple and quadruple headers were awesome. TNT is basically the new NBA on NBC to me.

bostonguy
08-15-2009, 07:56 PM
The fact that NBC did triple headers was badass. ABC barley has double headers and they end early in the day. ESPN does the Sunday evening games now but their coverage sucks ass.

Later in the conference finals, NBC would be doing all the prime time games which was fucking awesome. TNT is cool but they dont hold NBC's jockstrap when it comes to primetime NBA games. The coverage, the intensity, the theme music all of it made your adrenaline rise.

TheManFromAcme
08-15-2009, 08:46 PM
NBC? ABC?.........:lol

CBS was the best. End of story.

Bob Lanier
08-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Brent Musberger was a steaming pile of shit.

JoeTait75
08-15-2009, 11:13 PM
Great track. But waaaaay too much Heat-Knicks on the Peacock Network back in the day. '90s NBA ball was garbage compared to what came before and what came after.

blink
08-15-2009, 11:26 PM
i dont know anyone that likes ABC, everyone wants NBA on NBC again. double triple headers galore

Trainwreck2100
08-16-2009, 02:17 AM
also nbc flexed their schedules around the dates of the playoffs, not like ABC who has a set date for the start of the finals. Also NBC had one theme song the whole time ABC has a new one every other week

cherylsteele
08-16-2009, 12:47 PM
NBC? ABC?.........:lol

CBS was the best. End of story.
FGfQJWJlcPU

Culburn369
08-16-2009, 01:02 PM
FGfQJWJlcPU

Acme & Cheryl deliverin' the goods/of a Sunday mornin'.

TheManFromAcme
08-16-2009, 01:16 PM
Acme & Cheryl deliverin' the goods/of a Sunday mornin'.

:tu :toast

NBC was good due largely in part because of Costas but ABC has really stunk it up. I liked Dick Stockton, Tommy Hienson (sp?) and non-caca smell Brent Musberger.

It was obvious that Brent and Dick were Laker fans and you could hear it in Tommy Hienson's voice his anger and frustrations when Showtime beat up on Bean Town. :lol

CBS has yet to be touched. Sorry NBC/ABC fans.:nope

cherylsteele
08-16-2009, 01:16 PM
I prefered the CBS broadcast as well. The only thing I did not like about them was they tended to have a lot of tape delay programming.

angelbelow
08-16-2009, 01:22 PM
I always thought Bob Costas was a pretty good basketball announcer.

TheManFromAcme
08-16-2009, 01:26 PM
I prefered the CBS broadcast as well. The only thing I did not like about them was they tended to have a lot of tape delay programming.

Your right Cheryl, I forgot about that. That stunk! :bang

Culburn369
08-16-2009, 01:27 PM
I liked the CBS coverage as well. Even back to the mid-70s it was exceptional. The intro would use freeze frame of the action with dramactic voice overs. Just outstanding.

The tape delay was a bit off putting. I lived on the East Coast, so it was over before it started, but, I only had the three networks, no cable yet and only the 11 O'Clock news/5 mins of sports toward the end to even tempt me, which I always gave in to the temptation:wow

The 1980 Title: they were rolling the credits, Musburger talking as fast as he could as the Lakers were leaving the court in triumph.

TheManFromAcme
08-16-2009, 01:28 PM
I always thought Bob Costas was a pretty good basketball announcer.

Same here.

His ability to just conjure up stats and quick sports factoids all this during play by play is incredible. Not all of them do it as good as him. I like Bob Costas.

TheManFromAcme
08-16-2009, 01:30 PM
I liked the CBS coverage as well. Even back to the mid-70s it was exceptional. The intro would use freeze frame of the action with dramactic voice overs. Just outstanding.

The tape delay was a bit off putting. I lived on the East Coast, so it was over before it started, but, I only had the three networks, no cable yet and only the 11 O'Clock news/5 mins of sports toward the end to even tempt me, which I always gave in to the temptation:wow

The 1980 Title: they were rolling the credits, Musburger talking as fast as he could as the Lakers were leaving the court in triumph.

:lol

I remember that. Come to think of it, that was funny.

Culburn369
08-16-2009, 01:38 PM
:lol

I remember that. Come to think of it, that was funny.

& if you were by yourself, 30 second after the clock expired you were back to local programming of Three Stooges episodes, wondering if they really won with no way to confirm. Then the next morning you'd get the paper and in the bottom right hand corner of the Sports page would be a small article: "Lakers defeat Sixers."

TheManFromAcme
08-16-2009, 01:53 PM
& if you were by yourself, 30 second after the clock expired you were back to local programming of Three Stooges episodes, wondering if they really won with no way to confirm. Then the next morning you'd get the paper and in the bottom right hand corner of the Sports page would be a small article: "Lakers defeat Sixers."

Dear Lord, talk about a walk down memory lane.........:lol

Amazing right? We had to "read" (what a concept) our Sports.