PDA

View Full Version : Time To Ante Up In San Antonio (Pop Says Bowen Probably Won't Return)

duncan228
08-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Spurred into action (http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2009/08/16/spurred_into_action/)
Time to ante up in San Antonio
By Peter May
The Boston Globe

For years, the San Antonio Spurs were the avatars of economy and frugality. They’d somehow find a way to win - or at least compete - and do so while keeping their payroll under control. There may have been one crossover into Luxury Tax Territory a few years back, but it was small and short-lived.

Now, all that is gone. Like Buster Douglas knocking out Mike Tyson and Bob Dylan going electric in 1965, this constitutes a certifiable shocker. The Spurs are spending. They are doing so knowing the consequences and risks. They will be big-time luxury tax payers and, according to coach Gregg Popovich, it simply had to be this way.

“I didn’t think it was going to work any other way,’’ the Spurs’ hoops boss said last week while on the road to his vacation abode in Maine. “We could have waited until next summer and seen if LeBron [James], [Dwyane] Wade, and [Chris] Bosh all decided to come join us. But I had trouble seeing that happening.

“Our time is now. Timmy [Duncan’s] time is now. He has three years left on his contract. Something tells me that you don’t have to be too smart to figure out that the next three years are probably going to be better than the three after that.’’

Toward that end, the Spurs have made some changes, and according to Popovich, “If we can stay healthy, we are back in the championship talk.’’ They added Richard Jefferson via trade, signed Antonio McDyess as a free agent (along with Theo Ratliff), and drafted burly DeJuan Blair in the second round.

The additions of Jefferson and McDyess pushed the Spurs well over the tax limit (almost $9 million, according to one account) and required some arm-twisting of longtime owner Peter Holt.

“We told him that if we were going to compete, we had to go over the [tax threshold]. He did not like that answer,’’ Popovich said. “But he also said, ‘I don’t like it, but I understand it, so go out and do what you need to do.’ ’’

Jefferson is the biggest of the new arrivals, a scorer, a wing player who still has a few hops left. Popovich got to know Jefferson during the 2004 Olympics (as did Duncan, a US teammate) and looks forward to having the ex-Net, ex-Buck on the team.

“He’s a grown-up. He doesn’t have to be developed,’’ Popovich said. “And personality-wise, he fits. He has a great sense of humor. You can coach him and he can respectfully talk back to you. Timmy enjoys him.’’

McDyess is also a grown-up. “He’s Kurt Thomas, but a better scorer,’’ Popovich said.

As for Blair, the rebounding machine from Pitt, Popovich said, “He’s going to play right off the bat for us. He can rebound. I’m not going to teach him how to shoot threes. We know what he can do.’’

But just as crucial is the return to health (and good form) of the Big Three. Duncan, according to Popovich, is in the best shape of his career and eager to win a fifth ring. Manu Ginobili, who has been hurt in each of the last two postseasons, is healthy. Popovich said “my heart sunk’’ when he heard that Tony Parker had hurt an ankle while playing for France.

“It makes me sick,’’ he said. “There’s nothing you can do about it. It’s frustrating. But it’s a minor sprain. From what we read, it could have been a whole lot worse.’’

Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili all were big players in the last three San Antonio championships (2003, 2005, 2007). Another was 38-year-old Bruce Bowen, who went to Milwaukee in the Jefferson trade. The Bucks waived him at the end of July and he is a free agent. Might he be part of another Spurs run, albeit in a subordinate role?

“I’ve given him no such indication,’’ Popovich said. “He might come back with the right team in the right situation, but it’s probably not going to be San Antonio.’’

Popovich still puts the Lakers on top in the West, but the reconfigured Spurs have him energized as he prepares for his 13th full season as the main man in San Antonio.

“I’m really excited,’’ he said. “If we had come to training camp with the same group we had at the end of last year, everyone would have gone into major depression. I would have been saying, ‘follow me,’ and turned around to find nobody there. It was time to change the music and I think we’ve done that.’’

honestfool84
08-15-2009, 10:55 PM
Duncan, according to Popovich, is in the best shape of his career and eager to win a fifth ring.

this is the best thing i have heard all summer.

loveforthegame
08-15-2009, 10:57 PM
As for Blair, the rebounding machine from Pitt, Popovich said, “He’s going to play right off the bat for us. He can rebound. I’m not going to teach him how to shoot threes. We know what he can do.’’

I love hearing this. They obviously expect him to come in and contribute right away. I don't expect he'll see much of the dog house if at all.

Another was 38-year-old Bruce Bowen, who went to Milwaukee in the Jefferson trade. The Bucks waived him at the end of July and he is a free agent. Might he be part of another Spurs run, albeit in a subordinate role?

“I’ve given him no such indication,’’ Popovich said. “He might come back with the right team in the right situation, but it’s probably not going to be San Antonio.’’

There's no reason to be in CIA mode anymore. If they wanted him back he'd be here already imo. Sounds like he'll retire unless the perfect situation comes up. The writing is all but on the wall that it won't be in SA.

kbrury
08-15-2009, 10:57 PM
Good article Thanks for posting. The boston globe is more of an insider to the spurs community then the express lol.

honestfool84
08-15-2009, 10:59 PM
duncan228, can you PM me the larger version of this picture, please?
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/83/picture2oky.png

Chieflion
08-15-2009, 11:05 PM
At least Popovich did not say something like

"We love our boys in silver and black."

or

"Silence does not mean inactivity."

duncan228
08-15-2009, 11:06 PM
Check your PMs honestfool84. :)

lurker23
08-15-2009, 11:17 PM
There's no reason to be in CIA mode anymore. If they wanted him back he'd be here already imo. Sounds like he'll retire unless the perfect situation comes up. The writing is all but on the wall that it won't be in SA.

I agree, it certainly seems that way. Disappointing for those of us who wanted him back, but it's good to have a little less speculation, I suppose.

While I realize that the Spurs will likely take more of a team-approach to try to shut down big scorers, rather than the Bowen-on-Kobe approach of yesteryear, I still think the absence of Bowen puts a lot of pressure on Jefferson, Ginobili, and perhaps Hairston to step up their individual defensive games, so that double teams can be fewer and further between.

Slippy
08-15-2009, 11:31 PM
The Bucks waived him at the end of July and he is a free agent. Might he be part of another Spurs run, albeit in a subordinate role?

“I’ve given him no such indication,’’ Popovich said. “He might come back with the right team in the right situation, but it’s probably not going to be San Antonio

Thats good to know. It's pops way of doing things and Bowen deserves nothing but the honest truth.

Spurs Brazil
08-15-2009, 11:41 PM
Great article
Very good news about TD but Pop killed any hope to see Bruce back :(

HarlemHeat37
08-15-2009, 11:50 PM
LOL @ a Boston source having so much informative quotes from the Spurs..

duncan228
08-15-2009, 11:52 PM
I think Peter May covered the NBA as well as the Celtics. He may have wider resources than just a beat writer.

DMX7
08-16-2009, 12:38 AM
Are any teams actually courting Bruce? I'm not sure anybody wants him at this stage in his career.

greyforest
08-16-2009, 01:27 AM

McDyess is also a grown-up. “He’s Kurt Thomas, but a better scorer,’’ Popovich said.

really?

Riverwalkman
08-16-2009, 02:00 AM
-Bowen won't back, we'll miss him.
-Jefferson and Blair will play significant roles in the coming season.
-Duncan is in the best condition.

Everything seems right but I still have a bad feeling. Maybe that's just because we are too close to another Championship.

spursfaninla
08-16-2009, 02:14 AM
great article, especially considering the source....

a choice pop quote...putting to bed the bowen hopes.

Thank god. Look, pop has had enough trouble with over-playing vets...now that he is finally showing he is quitting that habit, we should encourage him.

I am hopeful this season goes better than last, that everyone is healthy, and we give the lakers our best shot.

ClingingMars
08-16-2009, 02:36 AM
Thats good to know. It's pops way of doing things and Bowen deserves nothing but the honest truth.

Completely agree, it's really sad to see but it's good that they're laying it on the line. I really want him back still.

ClingingMars
08-16-2009, 02:40 AM
I think Pops attitude towards San Antonio Media is Master to servant. He, by his actions and attitude, is telling the local Spurs fans that what they think, do or say( if its not buying tickets or cheering for his team) is un important. The local media is representative of the Local fans. Pop is and elitist. Military Academy Graduate Sommelier and Former Spook
SNOB

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s279/JMarts_Bucket/facepalm/facepalm-1.jpg

Mister Sinister
08-16-2009, 03:18 AM
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s279/JMarts_Bucket/facepalm/facepalm-1.jpg
:lol Been looking for this for a while. Fukken saved.

SA210
08-16-2009, 03:55 AM
:pop::pctoss

kace
08-16-2009, 05:31 AM
many of us, including me, hope that Bowen will be back because of what he represents for this franchise.

but even bball wise, i just don't see any defender on this team better than him. i think it's a mistake not to take him for the vet min (if it's possible considering the rules).

Our best wing defender could be RJ, but it's still a bet considering he wasn't very concerned and focused on defense the last seasons. If RJ doesn't work very well at our best wing defender, it will be manu or mason. and i think that's not good. Bruce is a sure thing on defense.

Summers
08-16-2009, 07:21 AM
Dude...Pop seems to have scape goated Bruce... maybe in pops mind Bruce the the embodiment of the "old team" and this is a new direction. Also they must have had a profound falling out. What Spurred it must have been some insubordination towards Pop from Bruce either actual or Perceived. I keep thinking about that shouting match between he and Pop ....I think this attitude is rather bitchy on Pops part...

What Mars said, plus Pop isn't scape-goating Bruce. How in the world do you get that out of what he said? It was a business decision and was handled professionally by everyone involved.

xmas1997
08-16-2009, 07:59 AM
Bruce will hopefully retire and come back and work in the booth with Sean. That would be a funny pair.

fleggy2k2
08-16-2009, 08:43 AM
Bruce will hopefully retire and come back and work in the booth with Sean. That would be a funny pair.

i would love that. they'd be throwing towels at each other all day

benefactor
08-16-2009, 09:19 AM
Very nice read.

It's still too early to say whether or not Bowen will be back. Anyone that asks about him will probably get the same answer every time. Because of the trade, I doubt that anyone in the Spurs organization is going to give any sort of indication toward bringing back Bowen until he comes out of our locker room in a uniform.

I think that there is still a good chance that he could be brought in after the season starts if our backup SF situation starts looking questionable.

howbouthemspurs
08-16-2009, 10:04 AM
Duncan in the best shape of his career?.. that just gave me goose bumps! Oh shit I cant wait!

td4mvp3
08-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Dude...Pop seems to have scape goated Bruce... maybe in pops mind Bruce the the embodiment of the "old team" and this is a new direction. Also they must have had a profound falling out. What Spurred it must have been some insubordination towards Pop from Bruce either actual or Perceived. I keep thinking about that shouting match between he and Pop ....I think this attitude is rather bitchy on Pops part...

baloney. the dude said the guy wasn't coming back, how is that in any way a slight?

2Cleva
08-16-2009, 10:57 AM
Spurred into action
Time to ante up in San Antonio

By Peter May | August 16, 2009

For years, the San Antonio Spurs were the avatars of economy and frugality. They’d somehow find a way to win - or at least compete - and do so while keeping their payroll under control. There may have been one crossover into Luxury Tax Territory a few years back, but it was small and short-lived.

Now, all that is gone. Like Buster Douglas knocking out Mike Tyson and Bob Dylan going electric in 1965, this constitutes a certifiable shocker. The Spurs are spending. They are doing so knowing the consequences and risks. They will be big-time luxury tax payers and, according to coach Gregg Popovich, it simply had to be this way.

“I didn’t think it was going to work any other way,’’ the Spurs’ hoops boss said last week while on the road to his vacation abode in Maine. “We could have waited until next summer and seen if LeBron [James], [Dwyane] Wade, and [Chris] Bosh all decided to come join us. But I had trouble seeing that happening.

“Our time is now. Timmy [Duncan’s] time is now. He has three years left on his contract. Something tells me that you don’t have to be too smart to figure out that the next three years are probably going to be better than the three after that.’’

Toward that end, the Spurs have made some changes, and according to Popovich, “If we can stay healthy, we are back in the championship talk.’’ They added Richard Jefferson via trade, signed Antonio McDyess as a free agent (along with Theo Ratliff), and drafted burly DeJuan Blair in the second round.

The additions of Jefferson and McDyess pushed the Spurs well over the tax limit (almost $9 million, according to one account) and required some arm-twisting of longtime owner Peter Holt.

“We told him that if we were going to compete, we had to go over the [tax threshold]. He did not like that answer,’’ Popovich said. “But he also said, ‘I don’t like it, but I understand it, so go out and do what you need to do.’ ’’

Jefferson is the biggest of the new arrivals, a scorer, a wing player who still has a few hops left. Popovich got to know Jefferson during the 2004 Olympics (as did Duncan, a US teammate) and looks forward to having the ex-Net, ex-Buck on the team.

“He’s a grown-up. He doesn’t have to be developed,’’ Popovich said. “And personality-wise, he fits. He has a great sense of humor. You can coach him and he can respectfully talk back to you. Timmy enjoys him.’’

But just as crucial is the return to health (and good form) of the Big Three. Duncan, according to Popovich, is in the best shape of his career and eager to win a fifth ring. Manu Ginobili, who has been hurt in each of the last two postseasons, is healthy. Popovich said “my heart sunk’’ when he heard that Tony Parker had hurt an ankle while playing for France.

“It makes me sick,’’ he said. “There’s nothing you can do about it. It’s frustrating. But it’s a minor sprain. From what we read, it could have been a whole lot worse.’’

Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili all were big players in the last three San Antonio championships (2003, 2005, 2007). Another was 38-year-old Bruce Bowen, who went to Milwaukee in the Jefferson trade. The Bucks waived him at the end of July and he is a free agent. Might he be part of another Spurs run, albeit in a subordinate role?

Popovich still puts the Lakers on top in the West, but the reconfigured Spurs have him energized as he prepares for his 13th full season as the main man in San Antonio.

“I’m really excited,’’ he said. “If we had come to training camp with the same group we had at the end of last year, everyone would have gone into major depression. I would have been saying, ‘follow me,’ and turned around to find nobody there. It was time to change the music and I think we’ve done that.’’

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2009/08/16/spurred_into_action?mode=PF

mytespurs
08-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Too bad-I miss Bruce. :(

Wonder if he'll go to Boston, Cleveland as rumored or retire? He has had a good career and 3 championship rings.

Bruno
08-16-2009, 11:13 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133385

Bruno
08-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Nice article. When the most inside about Spurs comes from yahoo and Boston's newspaper, there must have something wrong with SA local press.

SA210
08-16-2009, 12:48 PM

SA210
08-16-2009, 12:51 PM

SA210
08-16-2009, 12:51 PM

Blackjack
08-16-2009, 12:58 PM

Damn..

It makes perfect sense that the time would be now to win, with Tim still relatively near the top of his game, but Pop really makes it seem that Duncan's retirement is a forgone conclusion at the end of his current contract.:(

Very nice read.

It's still too early to say whether or not Bowen will be back. Anyone that asks about him will probably get the same answer every time. Because of the trade, I doubt that anyone in the Spurs organization is going to give any sort of indication toward bringing back Bowen until he comes out of our locker room in a uniform.

I think that there is still a good chance that he could be brought in after the season starts if our backup SF situation starts looking questionable.

Given Pop's quote, I tend to agree.

I don't see the prevailing wisdom that Pop has dismissed Bowen with these comments. In fact, the way he made sure to state that there was no prearranged agreement that Bowen would be back, almost seems like someone making sure to say the right things; in terms of the league office.

Pop says he probably won't be back and it might even be likely, but it's not something I view as definite.

Pop's hoping he can get by without Bowen and that Jefferson can be everything they need him to be defensively. But, with Hairston potentially being the only other defensive-wing to throw at the elite scorers, I don't see him closing any doors.

Pop will give his team, as currently constructed, the opportunity to prove they don't need Bowen or someone of his ilk, but he'll definitely look to make a trade or sign Bowen mid-season if the team's proved incapable.

Nice article. When the most inside about Spurs comes from yahoo and Boston's newspaper, there must have something wrong with SA local press.

It's not like the paper hired a beat writer that was new to the profession and lacked any ties or in-depth knowledge of the local team..:hat

Spursfan092120
08-16-2009, 01:01 PM
:lol Been looking for this for a while. Fukken saved.
yeah...:lol I found that a while back and posted it on here..I wanted to find a massive facepalm..this is what came up..lol...a fuckin collage..beautiful.

duncan228
08-16-2009, 01:08 PM

:lol There are lots of 'Bring back Bruce' folks, but you were the first one I thought of when I read it. I knew you wouldn't be pleased.

Mister Sinister
08-16-2009, 01:10 PM
I think :pctoss should be wordfiltered to :SA210

SA210
08-16-2009, 01:52 PM
:lol There are lots of 'Bring back Bruce' folks, but you were the first one I thought of when I read it. I knew you wouldn't be pleased.

:lol

I love my Spurs man. I watch every single damn game, but Bruce being gone bothers me so damn much, I believe it's a huge mistake that people for some reason can't see right now.

Muser
08-16-2009, 01:54 PM
I don't see how trading 38 year old bruce for 29 year old Jefferson is a huge mistake.

SA210
08-16-2009, 02:05 PM
^^^ Losing Bruce is the mistake, Not bringing him back is the mistake. Not playing him last year is the mistake. Possibly ending his career when it shouldn't have was the mistake. Us getting our ass handed to us by Kobe and others when RJ and Manu can't stop them is the mistake.

If we lose to the Lakers or any other team cuz we couldn't gaurd Kobe or whomever else, then would it really have been a great trade? Did the trade matter in the end if we lose anyway?

Spurs Brazil
08-16-2009, 03:05 PM

:tu

And there are people who still defend McDonald...

lefty
08-16-2009, 03:10 PM
I think Peter May covered the NBA as well as the Celtics. He may have wider resources than just a beat writer.
Peter May has a great reputation amongst sport writers

FromWayDowntown
08-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Assuming the Spurs brought Bowen back for next season, who would you propose sits during crunch time: Parker? Ginobili? Jefferson? Duncan?

If none of those guys, then if the Spurs bring back Bowen to be a meaningful part of this team, are you proposing that the Spurs go small in crunch time?

lefty
08-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Damn, Peter Holt is really a cheap bastard

It took Pop to convince him to spend some $$$

#2!
08-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Assuming the Spurs brought Bowen back for next season, who would you propose sits during crunch time: Parker? Ginobili? Jefferson? Duncan?

If none of those guys, then if the Spurs bring back Bowen to be a meaningful part of this team, are you proposing that the Spurs go small in crunch time?

agreed.

People forget that although he was no weapon, bruce used to be able to hold his own on the offensive end of the court. Not just a corner threes either, he could run on fastbreaks, as well as dunk. His defense is still good but he's just a void on offense and thats not going to cut it when you're going up against teams like LA and Boston.

Muser
08-16-2009, 05:34 PM
^^^ Losing Bruce is the mistake, Not bringing him back is the mistake. Not playing him last year is the mistake. Possibly ending his career when it shouldn't have was the mistake. Us getting our ass handed to us by Kobe and others when RJ and Manu can't stop them is the mistake.

If we lose to the Lakers or any other team cuz we couldn't gaurd Kobe or whomever else, then would it really have been a great trade? Did the trade matter in the end if we lose anyway?

We lost with Bowen playing minutes in 08, why the hell would it be different with him being 2 years older?

spursfan1000
08-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Gregg Popovich believes that Bruce Bowen could fit in with the right team, but it probably won't be the Spurs.
The Bucks waived Bowen at the end of July and the forward is now a free agent.
"He might come back with the right team in the right situation, but it's probably not going to be San Antonio," Popovich said, according to the Boston Globe RealGm

ChumpDumper
08-16-2009, 05:49 PM
The offseason: where one Spurs story becomes every thread on the front page.

Sniper
08-16-2009, 05:58 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133385

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133394

spursfaninla
08-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Even I begin to tire of this...although there are those who will continue to predict the downfall of the spurs because they don't have an antique Bowen in the deep freezer...

cleannfresh4life
08-16-2009, 06:04 PM
bowen is going to be needed in the playoffs! i guess we will learn the hard way..

hater
08-16-2009, 06:28 PM
did Bowen bang Pop's daugher or something? damn.

DMX7
08-16-2009, 06:58 PM
did Bowen bang Pop's daugher or something? damn.

No, why can't people here except that's his career is over (at least here).

Spurs Brazil
08-16-2009, 07:14 PM

I'd sit Bruce. I'm afraid when RJ get in foul trouble.

Finley and Mason are terrible on D. I'd like Bruce to help RJ do the dirty work

DPG21920
08-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Duncan, according to Popovich, is in the best shape of his career and eager to win a fifth ring.

So what happened to starting off the season out of shape?

DPG21920
08-16-2009, 07:17 PM
:tu

And there are people who still defend McDonald...

What inside info from Yahoo!? Some people say there was no real inside info from the now current Yahoo! writers and that it was all a puppet act with the Spurs FO as the puppet master :lol

timtonymanu
08-16-2009, 07:27 PM
- Good to know Timmy is in shape.
- Finley should be in Bruce's place right now and I dont think we're completely done with Bowen.
- Let's get number 5.

PeterBurns
08-16-2009, 07:49 PM
Anyone really surprised here?
Unless there are major injuries with the Spurs. Bowen will not be a part of the team, nor any team for that manner.

99% Retired from basketball. I'm sure his name will float around later in the season, but just don't see it happening.

spursfan1000
08-16-2009, 08:28 PM
Well damn I just posted the article to let the fans know bowen for sure isnt coming back, im sure there was still some people who thought he would come back.

Mel_13
08-16-2009, 08:35 PM
Well damn I just posted the article to let the fans know bowen for sure isnt coming back, im sure there was still some people who thought he would come back.

The reaction is because:

1. This is the third thread today based on the Boston Globe article.

2. Your post and the thread title state that Bowen 'for sure isn't coming back". Pop's quote says "probably not".

duncan228
08-16-2009, 08:47 PM
Just an FYI about RealGM. Their wiretap stuff is a piece of an article from another source, in this case the Boston Globe. If you follow the 'via Boston Globe' link it will bring up the original piece. You can then see the headline and tell if it's already been posted here. Sometimes their headline is looking for attention, like 'Popovich: Bowen won't return to Spurs' when the original headline is less inflammatory 'Spurred into action'. :)

rayray2k8
08-16-2009, 09:00 PM
Time to move on then.

duncan228
08-16-2009, 10:13 PM
So what happened to starting off the season out of shape?

He didn't say he was. I guess Pop won't be meeting that goal. :lol

“My goal,” Popovich said, “is for him to start the season out of shape.”

spursfan1000
08-16-2009, 10:47 PM
I guess this is the thread that I didnt see before I posted the other Bowen thread..

DPG21920
08-16-2009, 10:50 PM
He didn't say he was. I guess Pop won't be meeting that goal. :lol

That was what I was saying :lol

Tim, get out of shape..."No, in fact, I will get in the best shape of my life".

I bet you it was the Wii Fit.

Blackjack
08-16-2009, 11:49 PM

228, help me out...

Would this be the third or second straight year Pop's made that statement in referrence to Tim?

And, yeah, Pop wants Timmy out of game-shape entering camp, little to no road work, but Timmy's still got to hit the gym and watch the diet; which Tim's really made a priority of in his last couple of years.

duncan228
08-16-2009, 11:56 PM
228, help me out...

Would this be the third or second straight year Pop's made that statement in referrence to Tim?

It's at least the second. He said it last year after Duncan's tractor tire throwing came out in the press. And he said it the beginning of the '07-'08 season, going into the attempt at a repeat.

He may have also said it at the beginning of the '06-'07 season, after the plantar fasciitis in '05-'06. :lol

SA210
08-17-2009, 12:10 AM
bowen is going to be needed in the playoffs! i guess we will learn the hard way..

Blackjack
08-17-2009, 12:22 AM
It's at least the second. He said it last year after Duncan's tractor tire throwing came out in the press. And he said it the beginning of the '07-'08 season, going into the attempt at a repeat.

He may have also said it at the beginning of the '06-'07 season, after the plantar fasciitis in '05-'06. :lol

Yeah, I know he said it last year and I'm pretty sure he did it the year before as well; Pop almost raved about his body in a way that some would assume only be reserved for Finley.:hat

DrHouse
08-17-2009, 12:56 AM
Bruce Bowen is IMHO almost as important to the Spurs as Parker, Ginobili, and Duncan are.

Spur fans really don't understand how much of a luxury it is to have a guy on their team that can literally take out the opposing team's best player and frustrate him all night.

mystargtr34
08-17-2009, 02:19 AM
Bruce Bowen is IMHO almost as important to the Spurs as Parker, Ginobili, and Duncan are.

Spur fans really don't understand how much of a luxury it is to have a guy on their team that can literally take out the opposing team's best player and frustrate him all night.

:lol but he was washed up all last season and couldnt stand a chance against Kobe?

It would be interesting to see ur take on Bowen if he signs with the Spurs in a months time. I can garuantee it wont be the same as it is now.

SA210
08-17-2009, 03:30 AM

nadie
08-17-2009, 04:25 AM

I'm sorry if I'm clueless. What shouting match?

mountainballer
08-17-2009, 05:45 AM

the argument should be:
a superior perimeter defender is almost as important to the Spurs as Parker, Ginobili and Duncan are.
Spurs AND other team's fans need to learn that Bruce no longer is that player. it was impressive enough, that he was able to keep his all defense first team level of play till 36, which is 2 or 3 years longer than most comparable players were able to achieve.
I also don't accept the always repeated argument: let's keep him on the bench and just use for some special moments. that's nonsense and doesn't work. the game is played by a rotation, usually 10 deep in the RS and 8 deep in the PO. stockpiling veteran "specialists" for few minutes doesn't make a team as much deeper and better as some think.
I hope Bruce retires and in the best case he comes back as part of the coaching staff.

BWS-1994
08-17-2009, 06:19 AM

Bruce will be definitely be missed, but sadly, even some good things must come to an end... :(

mountainballer
08-17-2009, 08:19 AM

if it was a typical Spurs decision (guess we can assume it was), then the personality of RJ and his relation to Pop and Tim from the 2004 summer might have been the crucial point to acquire him (instead of VC or maybe some trade scenarios we never heard about).
this will also make Pop confident, that he can turn RJ exactly into the kind of player this Spurs roster needs and that RJ will accept this new role. and this will be much more of a defensive role than RJ played in the last years. IMO he will look good when defending players like Melo, Odom, maybe even Dirk. (but for guards like Kobe he's not quick enough any more.)

TJastal
08-17-2009, 09:19 AM
Bruce Bowen should retire. He's 38 freakin years old.

Even Popovich has concluded Bruce's days are over. His defense isn't nearly what it used to be to justify his minutes on the court. His decline was especially noticeable last year. He increasingly relied on grabbing/bumping/holding because he couldn't move his feet to stay in front of his man. The officials were onto this and zero'ing in on him, and he was getting a ton of foul calls.

Other reasons he's not needed anymore

Spurs now have Jefferson who is a solid wing defender, and also a rook (Hairston) who needs minutes to develop.

Spurs also have another older wing player who elected to pick up his option, Michael Finley. If Finley had retired, then maybe .. you think about signing Bowen as a defensive specialist and hope he can find the fountain of youth. If nothing else his length would be valuable against Kobe's jumpshot. But not with Finley on board. One 35+ small forward is more than enough.

As it is I think Popovich made the right decision. They will be just fine with Jefferson / Finley / Hairston as the small forwards.

hater
08-17-2009, 10:35 AM

Trevor Ariza IMHO is almost as important to Lakers as Kobe, Gasol and Odom

Oscar DeLa
08-17-2009, 10:39 AM
i dont know what it is but when Bowen was on the floor in the playoffs during crunch time, he tended to play good D and nail his corner threes!

Fabbs
08-17-2009, 10:52 AM
Bruces D has lost a step? Okay.

Compare to Finleys D. :rollin

Summers
08-17-2009, 11:33 AM

And in his defense, Duncan was in great shape early last year. He looked and played amazing until the knee started to hurt.

spursfaninla
08-17-2009, 02:34 PM
Bruce Bowen should retire. He's 38 freakin years old.

Even Popovich has concluded Bruce's days are over. His defense isn't nearly what it used to be to justify his minutes on the court. His decline was especially noticeable last year. He increasingly relied on grabbing/bumping/holding because he couldn't move his feet to stay in front of his man. The officials were onto this and zero'ing in on him, and he was getting a ton of foul calls.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-17-2009, 04:00 PM
I would have liked Bruce to have a farewell tour, but I suppose that would have used a roster spot that someone younger could have.

I guess I'll just wait for the jersey retirement ceremony to celebrate his tremendous contributions to the team.

HarlemHeat37
08-17-2009, 05:11 PM
+1 to Summers..

Duncan pre-Tendonisis was playing the best basketball we've seen from him in years, and he carried us with a horrible supporting cast while TP and Manu were out..

Fabbs
08-17-2009, 05:18 PM
I would have liked Bruce to have a farewell tour, but I suppose that would have used a roster spot that someone younger could have.

I guess I'll just wait for the jersey retirement ceremony to celebrate his tremendous contributions to the team.
Okay for Finley to hog up a roster spot, not okay for Bruce to.

Not saying this is what you intended Ed Jones but that's the reality.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-17-2009, 05:48 PM
Okay for Finley to hog up a roster spot, not okay for Bruce to.

Not saying this is what you intended Ed Jones but that's the reality.

I kind of forgot Finley was still on the roster. You make a good point.

Flux451
08-17-2009, 09:59 PM

Bowen can't stop Kobe anymore. 2003 he did the best of his career. Now Kobe is too quick or Bowen is too slow. Bowen can definitely guard him well but no one is stopping that guy. I think Hairston or Hill are the guys to look to when the time comes.

SA210
08-17-2009, 10:48 PM
i dont know what it is but when Bowen was on the floor in the playoffs during crunch time, he tended to play good D and nail his corner threes!

Yup! :tu

Bruces D has lost a step? Okay.

Compare to Finleys D. :rollin

Yea, who do you put in instead of Manu or Parker on Kobe FWD? Finley?

Bowen can't stop Kobe anymore. 2003 he did the best of his career. Now Kobe is too quick or Bowen is too slow. Bowen can definitely guard him well but no one is stopping that guy. I think Hairston or Hill are the guys to look to when the time comes.

Bowen is still the best in the NBA to gaurd him and would give us the best chance at winning against them.

FromWayDowntown
08-17-2009, 11:06 PM
So, are you saying that Bowen would be on the floor in crunch time instead of

Parker?
Ginobili?
Jefferson?
Duncan?

That they'll just go small?

Or are you thinking that if the Spurs re-sign Bowen, they might be able to play 6 on 5?

jay014
08-17-2009, 11:23 PM
Bowen is still the best in the NBA to gaurd him and would give us the best chance at winning against them.

It didn't help in 2008 WCF when Kobe raped the Spurs. Bowen time is over.
Jefferson gives us the best chance to beat L.A. now not remembering what a defender Bowen was.

EricB
08-18-2009, 02:03 AM

crickets.

EricB
08-18-2009, 02:05 AM

Parker?
Ginobili?
Jefferson?
Duncan?

Or are you thinking that if the Spurs re-sign Bowen, they might be able to play 6 on 5?

But but but but finley is on the team!!!

Don't you know they should've turned down the trade for Richard Jefferson because Bowen was involved and SA210 holds a giant disgusting mancrush on Bowen?!?!?

DAMN YOU!!!

FireDavidStern
08-18-2009, 07:40 AM
Yup! :tu

Yea, who do you put in instead of Manu or Parker on Kobe FWD? Finley?

How? Bowen is 38 years old. He lost the step that we all knew he was going to eventually lose. Finely has nothing to do with this. STOP MENTIONING HIM! What should the Spurs have done? Bend the space-time continuum and change the past so Finely had the non-guaranteed contract and Bowen had the player option? The Spurs (if healthy) are equal with the Lakers because of trading Bowen and all you do is complain? To quote Pop; Get over yourself.

mountainballer
08-18-2009, 07:56 AM

the Bowen question aside, but yes I can see the Spurs go small with Tony-Manu-Mason-RJ and Tim in crunch time. especially when they are some points down.

duncan228
08-18-2009, 09:33 AM
Could deeper Spurs be best in the West? (http://probasketballnews.com/story/?storyid=699)
By Sam Amico
Pro Basketball News

A few San Antonio thoughts:

* Spurs coach Gregg Popovich had some interesting things to say to Peter May of the Boston Globe, discussing everything from Bruce Bowen's possible retirement to the team's offseason moves.

* Popovich on Bowen, the longtime Spurs forward traded to Milwaukee in the Richard Jefferson deal (the Bucks then waived him): "He might come back with the right team in the right situation, but it's probably not going to be San Antonio."

* That makes sense, as Bowen is 38 and while he's still a potential contributor, he wouldn't get many minutes with Jefferson, Roger Mason, Michael Finley and, of course, Manu Ginobili in front of him.

* There have been reports Boston was interested in Bowen, but he did not feel the same. Washington is said to be another possibility, as is Atlanta.

* Popovich on new addition Antonio McDyess: "He's Kurt Thomas, but a better scorer."

* Seriously, is there a more perfect veteran find for this team than McDyess? With his professionalism and team-first attitude, he makes the ultimate Spur.

* The Spurs' starting lineup will look something like this: C Tim Duncan; PF McDyess; SF Jefferson; SG Mason; PG Tony Parker.

* Off the bench will be Ginobili at shooting guard, Finley at small forward, Matt Bonner at power forward, George Hill at point guard and veteran Theo Ratliff at center.

* Popovich is also high on rookie power forward DeJuan Blair. "He's going to play right off the bat for us," Popovich told May. "He can rebound. I'm not going to teach him how to shoot threes. We know what he can do."

* Popovich also called Jefferson "a grown up" who is a great fit personality-wise. "He has a great sense of humor. You can coach him and he can respectfully talk back to you. Timmy enjoys him."

* Finally, Popovich indicated he thinks the Lakers are still the West's best team, but he likes what the Spurs have done. "If we had come to training camp with the same group we had at the end of last year, everyone would have gone into major depression," he told May. "I would have been saying, ‘follow me,' and turned around to find nobody there. It was time to change the music and I think we've done that."

* Personally, I think the Spurs and the Lakers are neck-in-neck, with neither clearly superior to the other. If I absolutely, positively had to give anyone an edge, it would be the Spurs. But I reserve the right change my mind on a daily basis.

Fabbs
08-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Could deeper Spurs be best in the West? (http://probasketballnews.com/story/?storyid=699)
By Sam Amico

* Off the bench will be...Finley at small forward, Matt Bonner at power forward...
That should strike fear in West Conf playoff opponents. :rollin

Fabbs
08-18-2009, 10:10 AM

* Finally, Popovich indicated he thinks the Lakers are still the West's best team, but he likes what the Spurs have done. "If we had come to training camp with the same group we had at the end of last year, everyone would have gone into major depression," he told May. "I would have been saying, ‘follow me,' and turned around to find nobody there. It was time to change the music and I think we've done that."
Summer 2007 was the time....

Popped trying to sound glib and wise again :rolleyes

loveforthegame
08-18-2009, 10:18 AM
* The Spurs' starting lineup will look something like this: C Tim Duncan; PF McDyess; SF Jefferson; SG Mason; PG Tony Parker.

* Off the bench will be Ginobili at shooting guard, Finley at small forward, Matt Bonner at power forward, George Hill at point guard and veteran Theo Ratliff at center.

That's a pretty sweet starting lineup. Mason being the only weak link. Not bad at all.

Ginobli and Hill are the only sure bets in the 2nd unit. If Blair is going to get the minutes that Pop and RC keep talking about then I think he's plugged in there instead of Bonner. Finley and Ratliff wouldn't surprise me until Hairston and Mahinmi/Haislip prove otherwise.

CubanMustGo
08-18-2009, 10:27 AM
Fabbs trying to sound glib and wise again :rolleyes

Fabbs
08-18-2009, 10:40 AM
5 6 7 maybe 8 titles if Fabbs is at the helm in the Dunkan era. :toast

Summers
08-18-2009, 10:43 AM

Okay, let's try this again: Duncan is only playing 3 more years.

Fabbs
08-18-2009, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by FromWayDowntown View Post

crickets.
fify
Assuming the Spurs brought Finley back for next season, who would you propose sits during crunch time: Parker? Ginobili? Jefferson? Duncan?

If none of those guys, then if the Spurs bring back Finley to be a meaningful part of this team, are you proposing that the Spurs go small in crunch time?

crickets.
or rather you having a mouthful of Fins per usual.
Either way silence, and that's good. :lol

Fabbs
08-18-2009, 10:46 AM
Okay, let's try this again: Duncan is only playing 3 more years.
Real slowly:
Duncan has been on the Spurs 12 years.
This will be his 13th.

Summers
08-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Real slowly:
Duncan has been on the Spurs 12 years.
This will be his 13th.

Sorry, how do you figure he'll get 8 titles?

Fabbs
08-18-2009, 10:55 AM
Sorry, how do you figure he'll get 8 titles?
total up to date.
Not 4 more, altho we agree that would be sweet! :toast

Mel_13
08-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Summer 2007 was the time....

He says with benefit of 20/20 hindsight

fify
Assuming the Spurs brought Finley back for next season, who would you propose sits during crunch time: Parker? Ginobili? Jefferson? Duncan?

If none of those guys, then if the Spurs bring back Finley to be a meaningful part of this team, are you proposing that the Spurs go small in crunch time?

Continues with the false dichotomy that the Spurs chose Finley over Bowen

The delusions reach truly grandiose proportions.:lol

SA210
08-18-2009, 11:49 AM

Parker?
Ginobili?
Jefferson?
Duncan?

I'm suggesting that when there is someone on the other team that is torching us, (like I'm already predicting there will be) and noone on our team can stop them, then we should have Bruce to call on to go in and calm them down.

Btw, Bruce has closed out games for us for years, I don't see how this is a new concept.

And FWD, don't insult my intelligence, do you honestly believe that I think we could go 6 on 5? Do you think that I think that? I figured you'd bring a better arguement than that. Nice attempt to make people laugh, but that's it.

crickets.

There's only crickets because I have a life and have things to do other than checking in on here as much as you do. You still have no idea what the hell your talking about, it's amazing, cuz you never have.

FromWayDowntown
08-18-2009, 12:13 PM
fify

actually, I'm saying that neither Finley nor Bowen would play. And that's my basic point. I think the Spurs are better with Jefferson and I think the carping about Bowen's fate is largely irrelevant because Jefferson will be playing late-game minutes with the Big 3, making either Finley or Bowen mostly a spare part. I would have had no problem with the Spurs trading Finley in the deal for Jefferson, but given the realities of contracts, that wasn't possible. Given that the Spurs absolutely had to improve their wing scoring and athleticism, it was worth what it took to make that deal. You can ignore all of those realities and pretend that the Spurs made a choice between Bowen and Finley in making the Jefferson deal, but I don't see that as having been remotely true.

And I was clamoring for Bowen to play more last season, so don't try to paint me as some Bowen hater.

rayray2k8
08-18-2009, 12:24 PM
still crying about bowen being gone? get over it already.

benefactor
08-18-2009, 12:30 PM
lol Fabbs. I don't know that I have ever seen anyone bring blind Pop hate like he brings it...and with the frequency he brings it.

loveforthegame
08-18-2009, 08:25 PM
If our only chances of winning a title rest on a 38 year Bowen then we're in trouble.

I wish he was coming back but it doesn't sound like it's happening. The Spurs are moving forward and Bowen is the first casualty.

SA210
08-18-2009, 10:33 PM
If our only chances of winning a title rest on a 38 year Bowen then we're in trouble.

I wish he was coming back but it doesn't sound like it's happening. The Spurs are moving forward and Bowen is the first casualty.

Not quite how you put it. Bruce would just be that missing piece to a larger puzzle.