PDA

View Full Version : Will SA Be In The Running For A MLB Team?

davi78239
08-15-2009, 11:27 PM
Just heard and I don't know if it's been posted somewhere already, that the MLB wants to expand to 4 more teams. Supposedly, Las Vegas is being considered for sure. I've heard rumblings of Portland and Salt Lake City being mentioned before too and was wondering if SA would even be mentioned as well. Who else would they award expansion to other than San Antonio besides the other cities mentioned above? I've always said that we'd get an MLB team way before an NFL team in this town. Just wanted to see if anyone else has heard of this too and what you guys think.

Spursfan092120
08-15-2009, 11:44 PM
San Antonio may be a possibility. Recently, we almost got the Florida Marlins to relocate here. We had the place for the field and everything, if I'm not mistaken. I'd love to see a team here...and it could work. I'd go.

traitoravery
08-16-2009, 12:11 AM
I would definitely go...

kbrury
08-16-2009, 12:38 AM
Not really a baseball fan but I would go just to support SA.

Laker-fan-in-SanAnto
08-16-2009, 09:52 AM
I would go too, but I hope they're in the NL so I only would go see them play against my Dodgers.

djohn2oo8
08-16-2009, 10:33 AM
We'll send you guys that minor league team called the astros

bresilhac
08-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Not really a baseball fan but I would go just to support SA.

Same here. I am not a huge MLB fan but I would go just to be apart of the experience.

Trainwreck2100
08-16-2009, 12:16 PM
i really doubt that mlb expands to 4 teams the talents diluted enough as it is

pkbpkb81
08-16-2009, 12:55 PM
i would go

but if the team is in the al west it would be hard for me to cheer for them

j-6
08-16-2009, 01:16 PM
i really doubt that mlb expands to 4 teams the talents diluted enough as it is

Contraction - like Selig was talking about five years ago - needs to happen before expansion.

v2freak
08-16-2009, 04:06 PM
We'll send you guys that minor league team called the astros

:rollin I bet Oswalt disagrees

Texas Chili Dog
08-17-2009, 01:12 AM
The only way San Antonio can get a team is if another city gets a team and joins MLB in the same year, or if they get a relocated team.

Chris
08-17-2009, 03:27 AM
We already got the Missions for AA ball so I doubt it.

Extra Stout
08-17-2009, 06:52 AM
So... we're in a recession, MLB attendance is down across the board, and cities are strapped for cash. Does anybody really believe the MLB would be looking to expand in such an environment? I know the OP "heard" it from somebody, but sometimes people just make things up to have something to talk about, or because they find wishful thinking entertaining.

PaulGreco
08-17-2009, 10:15 AM
OK, so I was talking to a person this morning from the MLB headquarters in NY about a different topic, when I stumbled up on this. When I asked the question on this "RUMOR" he, well laughed. He said that MLB has not considered expansion, and if the possibility was to come up, you're looking at least 7-10 years down the road. He told me they learned a lesson from their last expansion with the league being watered down and because of the uncertainty of the economy the league and its owners would be too scared to bring in any other teams.

He did say however, that if a team was looking to relocate, the leagues #1 desired place would be Las Vegas. When I asked him about San Antonio, he said it would be tough to get the buy in of the other owners.

--PG
Baseballdigest.com

exstatic
08-29-2009, 02:29 PM
San Antonio may be a possibility. Recently, we almost got the Florida Marlins to relocate here. We had the place for the field and everything, if I'm not mistaken. I'd love to see a team here...and it could work. I'd go.
We weren't even CLOSE to getting the Marlins. Nelson Wolfe started to suspect they were just shining SA on, and gave them a deadline. He literally NEVER HEARD BACK from them. The Marlins never wanted to move, they just wanted a new stadium in Florida. I'm happy to say that Wolfe's finally getting a clue denied them that. The deadline kicked the chair out from under their negotiating position with the Florida folks.

Don't confuse dating a cock tease with almost getting laid.

scott
08-29-2009, 02:43 PM
don't confuse dating a cock tease with almost getting laid.

+1

DMX7
08-29-2009, 04:13 PM
We weren't even CLOSE to getting the Marlins. Nelson Wolfe started to suspect they were just shining SA on, and gave them a deadline. He literally NEVER HEARD BACK from them. The Marlins never wanted to move, they just wanted a new stadium in Florida. I'm happy to say that Wolfe's finally getting a clue denied them that. The deadline kicked the chair out from under their negotiating position with the Florida folks.

the deadline was smart.

Betsy
08-29-2009, 07:22 PM
I would go if they were AL and playing the Yankees but I doubt it would ever happen here in SA. :bang
SA is SPURS. :flag:

Libri
08-29-2009, 09:05 PM
The Marlins never wanted to move, they just wanted a new stadium in Florida.
Yeah, that's what I read about the Marlins intentions.

EricB
08-29-2009, 09:15 PM

Don't confuse dating a cock tease with almost getting laid.

Except they did get their stadium...