PDA

View Full Version : Rodman was a winner, but is Artest?

Sdayi135
08-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Rodman was a winner, but is Artest? (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/9934370/Rodman-was-a-winner,-but-is-Artest?)

Since Ron Artest signed with the Lakers, there has been a lot of media commentary comparing him with Dennis Rodman. Many journalists have commented that if Phil Jackson could handle a "locker room maelstrom" like Rodman, he'd have similar success with Artest. Was Rodman as difficult to coach as the media claims? And how do you think Artest will react to playing under Jackson? — Jake Huneycutt, Fairfax, VA

Once the game lights were turned on Rodman was relatively easy to coach. He knew his role, didn't demand the ball, played with great intelligence, and was rarely out of position at either end of the court. However, getting him to games, practices and team flights on time was frequently difficult — primarily because of his party-hearty tendencies. Sometimes, just waking him up in the morning was a problem.

Rodman was also prone to question the will to win of his teammates-of-the-moment. With the Spurs (1993-95), he felt that chief among others David Robinson wasn't prepared to go the extra mile required to win championships, and this is what ultimately shortened — by mutual consent — his stay in San Antonio. When Rodman truly respected his teammates — as he did in Detroit and Chicago — he was always a well-liked and positive presence in the locker room.

Overall, virtually all of Rodman's difficulties resulted from his inclination to fervidly pursue the satisfaction of every impulse that came over him. When he was with the Bulls, the team tried to find a way for Rodman to short-circuit his impulse to rail at any referee who made what he believed to be an unjust call. So they had him place a thick rubber band tightly around his left wrist with orders to sharply snap the band whenever he felt like yapping at a ref. The idea being that the flash of pain would derail his latest impulse. The tactic worked for a while, then to the staff's amazement Rodman took to continually snapping the rubber band even when he had no immediate beef with the refs.

What was that all about?

"It felt good," said Rodman.
In other words, Rodman's personality contained elements of childish self-indulgence, shameless exhibitionism (his wedding dress!), a touch of masochism, along with a high degree of natural intelligence.

Artest is another story altogether. He's more of a bully than was Rodman and always insists on being the center of attention — as when he announced that one of his priorities with the Rockets would be to teach Yao Ming what America was really all about. Which is also the basic reason why Artest wants an inordinate number of touches on offense, takes so many ill-advised shots, and tries to intimidate the players he's guarding with often spurious boasts.

Artest, then, is much more of an egomaniac than Rodman.

A member of the coaching staff on one of the teams Artest played for also says that there are only two guys who could possibly control Ron-Ron — Pat Riley and Phil Jackson.

"Forget about Artest taking orders from a coach who never played in the league," says this particular source. "Not even Gregg Popovich could possibly get him to behave. And forget about Artest respecting a coach who had played in the NBA but who hadn't won a championship as a player. That's why Rick Adelman couldn't really connect with Artest. So I think that Phil has the best chance of any other active coach to keep Artest relatively sane."

Moreover, after playing for four teams during his nine-year NBA career without advancing into a championship series, Artest is by all reports intent on winning a ring. And it's certainly reasonable to believe that even Ron-Ron understands that Kobe Bryant is necessarily the Lakers' most dominant player and personality.

But being rational has never been a part of Artest's game plan.
Will he, then, buy into the ball-sharing, shot-sacrificing attitude that characterizes the triangle offense? He can if Jackson makes one critical adjustment: Posting up Artest as much as possible. That's because Artest is a monster in the low post, where he can score points by the dozen, draw fouls, make alert passes, and bask in the spotlight. In fact, Artest is unquestionably the most unstoppable low-post force on his new team. Better in the pivot than Lamar Odom, Pau Gasol, and even Kobe.
Still, Artest has often routinely exhibited such bizarre behavior as to leave onlookers speechless. Smashing expensive TV cameras. Diving into the stands to assault a fan.

And so on and on.

Here's the latest example:

Last spring, the Rockets were preparing to face the Lakers in the seventh and deciding game of the Western Conference semifinals. The most critical game of Houston's season.

Traditionally, players are required to show up in the locker room 90 minutes before game time or else face a fine, a suspension, or both. Since the Rockets were away from home, bus transportation was provided from the hotel to the Staples Arena.

The first bus was timed to arrive at Staples two hours before tip-off. Expected on board were the rookies, who always had to come early to get taped; any veterans who wanted to get some extra shooting practice; the public relations staff; as well as the assistant coach who was responsible for transcribing the scouting report on the grease board mounted in the locker room.

The next departure from the hotel was designed to get the rest of the players and the rest of the coaching staff to the arena before the 90-minute cutoff. Since the coaching staff always commences their pre-game scouting report 45 minutes before the game begins, the players on this bus would have 45 minutes to dress, get taped, and do some extra shooting on their own.

The third bus contained team officials, guests, wives, girlfriends and assorted hangers-on, and would arrive at Staples 30 minutes before tip-off. Time to grab something to eat in the media room and get comfortably settled in their assigned seats.

Artest missed the first bus, and missed the second bus. He did board the third bus, but was dressed only in his underwear!!!
There's only one thing left to say: Good luck, Phil. You'll need it.

BeeGee
08-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Stay.
Tuned.

Culburn369
08-16-2009, 03:26 PM
No. Rodman was a loser...in a winner's circle. That happens sometimes. Adrian Dantley does the reverse= He's a winner...in a loser's circle.

Then there is the purity= Barkley was a loser in a loser's circle. Duncan is a winner in a winner's circle.

Christ, I shudder to think what'd a happened if I hadn't come along to this Forum. I'm like a sage.

spursfaninla
08-16-2009, 04:15 PM
you would have ended up speaking your eloquent speeches to your poodle and your potted fern?

iggypop123
08-16-2009, 04:29 PM
yes he is

http://lakers.freedomblogging.com/files/2009/08/ron-artest-in-hangzhou-by-getty-0806091.jpg

spursfan1000
08-16-2009, 05:42 PM
Ron Artest will never get a championship, lets just put it at that.

BeeGee
08-16-2009, 06:03 PM

Spurs fans making predictions on who will and won't win a championship...:lmao

TheManFromAcme
08-17-2009, 12:07 PM

sp1000,

Don't you think that's a tad bit premature?
Put your hatred aside and see it as a purist all allegiances aside.
I think Jefferson will add some definite firepower to the Spurs.

Elaborate...

j-money24
08-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Spurs will not win another Championship for another 20 years.

2Cleva
08-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Gotta love Twitter. Ron Artest responded to that article

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO THE COMMENTS BY THE Charley Rosen
TYPE MEDIA. THEY HAVE NO CREATIVITY. THE SAME STORY. THE
BRAWL ,DOG FIGHTING CONT.

JOHN GREEN STARTED THE FIRE. RON ARTEST WENT HEAD FIRST IN
THE FIRE. AND MR. STERN RATHERED THE FIREMAN TO PUT OUT THE
FIRE CONT......

THEN WRITERS LIKE HIM BRING UP DOG FIGHT AND WANT TO COMPARE
ME TO GUYS LIKE MY GOOD FRIEND MICHEAL VICK CONT.....

I GOT IN TROUBLE BECAUSE I WAS CARELESS WITH MY DOGS. I
STILL LOVE MIKE VICK . I MENTIONED HIS NAME BECAUSE THE
STORY WAS NOT CREATIVE.CONT.

THEN THEY SAY I WENT TO GAME 7 IN MY UNDERWEAR. THEIR WERE
ONLY SEVEN PEOPLE ON THE BUS AND A COUPLE CONCIERGE OUTSIDE.
THAT STORY AS A LIE

I HAD ON POLO SHORTS THAT WERE SEXY FOR A WOMANS EYE BUT NOT
UNDERWEAR. CONTINUING

THEN GUYS LIKE HIM COMPARE ME TO DENNIS RODMAN. I LOVE
DENNIS RODMAN. DOESNT MEAN I ACCOMPLISHED WHAT HE DID. I AM
THE ONLY GUY .CONT....

I AM ONE OF THE FEW GUYS NOT AFRAID TO BACK UP DENNIS
PUBLICLY. AND HE IS MY FAVORITE PLAYER EVER. AND MJ OF
COURSE. CONT.....

I CAN EASILY PLAY FOR ANY COACH NOW. THE STORIES THES GUYS
COME UP WITH IS OLD NEWS. I WAS THE ANCHOR OF A TEAM
WITHOUT.CONT..........

I HELPED A TEAM WITHOUT DEKE,YAO AT TIMES AND NO T MAC WIN.
I PLAYED OFF YAO AND PLAYED OFF SCOLA AND A BROOKS AT
TIMES.CONT......

I ALSO MADE MY TEAM BETTER. SO HOW CAN'T I MAKE THIS GREAT
LAKER TEAM BETTER. MY STORY WILL CONTINUE WITH SOMEONE IN
THE NATIONAL MEDIA.CONT