PDA

View Full Version : 'Shaq Vs.' Starts Tonight On ABC

duncan228
08-18-2009, 12:29 PM
* Check your local listings if you're going to watch. The times listed are for the local audiences of the articles. *

Shaq VS. Everyone (http://www.abc2news.com/news/local/story/Shaq-VS-Everyone/aR2JG8EI4E-3ummvFlJRTQ.cspx)
By Dave Clark

Shaquille O'Neal wants to prove himself, one-on-one, against athletes from various sports.

So, for tonights premiere of his new series called "Shaq Vs.," he'll test the arm of NFL quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in a footbal throwing contest.

The 7-2, 325-pound NBA star will take on stars from other sports, including Baltimore's own olympic swimming champion, Michael Phelps.

"We haven't really decided on anything final yet — how far, how long, how big a head start I will have to give him,"' Phelps said.

"To be able to swim with a 7-foot-2, 300-pound man will be absolutely awesome. When I was asked to do it, I quickly said, 'Yes.'"

Phelps' coach Bob Bowman said he'll coach Shaq a little bit. "We're sewing together three suits and wrapping him up in it."

Shaq tries to stand tall 'VS' flock of superjocks (http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/television/1720696,CST-FTR-shaq18.article)
By R.B. Fallstrom
Chicago Sun Times

Shaquille O'Neal swears he was once a T-ball All-Star and a high school first baseman with the "world's biggest strike zone."

The 7-1, 325-pound NBA star is taking on other sports stars in the new ABC series "Shaq VS," a battle of athletic prowess airing at 8 p.m. Tuesdays on WLS-Channel 7.

At a news conference for the show last week in St. Louis, he was joined by Cardinals slugger Albert Pujols to discuss their upcoming home run derby.

Pujols may lead the majors in home runs, but Shaq is clearly king of the one-liners.

Baseball nickname? "When I was little, I was known as Shaqqie Robinson." When he pitched: "I was the big black unit."

O'Neal promised there would be no head games with Pujols, noting, "Usually I try to get into the mind of my opponent, but I don't think it's wise to talk smack to a man who always has a bat in his hands."

Pujols offered a few pointers, noting that O'Neal didn't have to overpower the ball to hit a home run. O'Neal responded: "I don't want your tips, Albert. I'm going to beat you fair and square."

Pujols was a point guard on the basketball team in high school and said he used to be able to dunk. No more, not since he's bulked up to 245 pounds.

"I think if I tried I'd probably blow out my hamstrings," Pujols said. "That's why I chose baseball" for the challenge.

Pat Tomasulo of WGN-Channel 9 co-hosts "Shaq VS" with Ultimate Fighting Championship's Mike Goldberg.

Tonight's first episode tests O'Neal's football-throwing prowess against Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. The Pujols episode will air Sept. 1.

Maybe a Cleveland Cavalier can beat a Pittsburgh Steeler: "Shaq Vs." Big Ben tonight at 9 on ABC (http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/index.ssf/2009/08/maybe_a_cleveland_cavalier_can.html)
by Starting Blocks, The Plain Dealer
Cleveland.com

The much-anticipated "Shaq Vs." television reality series premieres tonight, when Cleveland Cavaliers' fun-loving center Shaquille O'Neal faces Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in a football skills contest on ABC (WEWS/Ch. 5) at 9 Cleveland time.

The weekly one-hour show features O'Neal challenging other stars in that opponents' sport. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch, tracking Shaq's adventures expecially after he filmed a series episode last week against Cardinals' baseball superstar Albert Pujols, includes tonight's show among its "TV picks (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/entertainment/stories.nsf/tvradio/story/0859516380EEC68C8625761200744442?OpenDocument)" (note that St. Louis time is CDT, thus the 8 p.m. start there).

Writes Gail Pennington for the Post-Dispatch:

NBA superstar Shaquille O'Neal takes on other top athletes in their own sports. First up: Ben Roethlisberger, quarterback of the Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers. Olympic beach volleyball gold medalists Kerri Walsh and Misty May-Treanor follow next week, with the Cardinals' Albert Pujols up in Episode 3. The format has Shaq negotiating a handicap with his opponents and training in advance of each challenge.

The trend: The Los Angeles Times, quite familiar with O'Neal after his lengthy tenure with the Lakers, notes that Shaq's show is the latest that offers an inside look (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-shaq-reality-tv18-2009aug18,0,2775601.story)at sports stars.

Diane Pucin writes for the Times:

Dan Durbin, a professor at USC's Annenberg School of Communications who specializes in pop culture and sports media, isn't surprised at the proliferation of such sports-star shows scattered across network and cable television.

"Reality shows are relatively inexpensive to produce," he said. "And athletes provide television pop."

The sports-star craze began in earnest with the summer 2005 launch of "Dancing With the Stars," a ratings -- and revenue -- powerhouse for ABC from the get-go.

The show began with one athlete, boxer Evander Holyfield, who lost. But athletes have won five of the last six.

Dr Cox
08-18-2009, 01:27 PM
not a huge shaq fan...but i think this will be extremly funny

jack sommerset
08-18-2009, 01:28 PM
This has emmy written all over it

tlongII
08-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Shaq is a funny dude. I'll watch this.

urunobili
08-18-2009, 01:53 PM
This has emmy written all over it

BlackSwordsMan
08-18-2009, 01:54 PM
lol shaq in mma

SonOfAGun
08-18-2009, 02:24 PM
What can I say. Shaq is Shaq and demands attention.

I will for sure watch this :lmao

I wonder if the competition will be really watered down and nothing more than fluffy television entertainment seeing as how he cannot risk injury...

Culburn369
08-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Shaq, gettin' his buffoon on.

duncan228
08-18-2009, 03:15 PM
Some Shaq quotes.

Shaq Takes on Big Ben (http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local-beat/Shaq-Gives-Quarterbacking-a-Shot-53562852.html)

Years after declaring himself as professional basketball's most dominant center ever, Shaquille O'Neal takes on dominant athletes in other sports in a competition series premiering Tuesday night.

In the premiere of "Shaq VS," the 7-foot-1-inch NBA star, who has never played organized football, will quarterback a team in a seven-on-seven game, with two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback Ben Roethlisberger quarterbacking the other team.

O'Neal prepared for tonight's episode by training for a week under the tutelage of Charlie Batch, Roethlisberger's backup quarterback with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Later episodes will have O'Neal play against the Olympic gold medal- winning beach volleyball team of Kerri Walsh and Misty May-Treanor; box 10-time world champion Oscar De La Hoya; swim against 14-time Olympic gold medalist Michael Phelps; play tennis against 11-time grand slam singles champion Serena Williams; and compete against St. Louis Cardinals slugger Albert Pujols in a home run hitting contest.

O'Neal will be given an advantage in several of the events in an attempt to increase their competitiveness.

O'Neal said he is doing the series because "I represent the male bravado couch potato.''

"I don't really consider myself one of those salad-eater, elite athletes," O'Neal said in an interview during ABC's portion of the recent Television Critics Association summer press tour. "I'm just a regular guy with a lot of heart and determination that thinks he can do anything."

O'Neal said if he does win a challenge, it will probably be "because it was handicapped anyway."

"I'm not doing this to show anybody up," said O'Neal, who was acquired by the Cleveland Cavaliers in a trade from the Phoenix Suns this summer and said he may retire if the team wins this season's NBA championship.

O'Neal said he has no fear of injury participating in the series.

"Most of the time, I'm just training, so I don't see how I can be hurt training," O'Neal said.

Cleveland general manager Danny Ferry said late last month that he was "looking forward to seeing him do all this stuff."

"We talked through things to make sure no one would get hurt," Ferry said. "It's all in good fun. It's good for the NBA. He enjoys doing this stuff."

When he boxes De La Hoya, who stands 5 feet 10, O'Neal said he will wear headgear and is "not going to go all out."

"I may give it to him once or twice. I know he may give it to me once or twice, but it's not going to be an all-out heavyweight brawl," said O'Neal, whose listed weight of 325 pounds is more than double De La Hoya's final 145- pound fighting weight.

Culburn369
08-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Some Shaq quotes.
said he may retire if the team wins this season's NBA championship.

Neither event has a snow ball's chance in Hell of happening.

Summers
08-18-2009, 06:49 PM
I'm watching this. It's going to be entertaining.

Hooks
08-18-2009, 10:03 PM
How was it, was it any good?

spursfan1000
08-18-2009, 10:09 PM
Damn I guess I missed it, ill probably watch it next week.

lefty
08-18-2009, 10:25 PM
How was it, was it any good?

According to Shaq, Phelps tasted like marijuana.

RIP Mike Phelps

Dunc n Dave
08-18-2009, 11:24 PM
Funny stuff. The loser had to to let the winner wear one of his championship rings for a week. Shaq wasn't that bad of a QB for a 7 foot, 350 lb guy, although his first TD pass looked like they blatantly left the guy wide open in the endzone just for ratings.

eyeh8u
08-19-2009, 01:09 AM
* Check your local listings if you're going to watch. The times listed are for the local audiences of the articles. *

Shaq VS. Everyone (http://www.abc2news.com/news/local/story/Shaq-VS-Everyone/aR2JG8EI4E-3ummvFlJRTQ.cspx)

The 7-2, 325-pound NBA star will take on stars from other sports, including Baltimore's own olympic swimming champion, Michael Phelps.

Shaq tries to stand tall 'VS' flock of superjocks (http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/television/1720696,CST-FTR-shaq18.article)
By R.B. Fallstrom
Chicago Sun Times

The 7-1, 325-pound NBA star is taking on other sports stars in the new ABC series "Shaq VS," a battle of athletic prowess airing at 8 p.m. Tuesdays on WLS-Channel 7.

Shaq is shrinking

eyeh8u
08-19-2009, 01:12 AM
O'Neal said he is doing the series because "I represent the male bravado couch potato.''i hate how people think he is so clever, he just says oxymorons or steals quotes from a polish newspaper

vicphoenix13
08-19-2009, 03:37 AM
I noticed in the final credits of Shaq Vs. that Steve Nash is a executive producer on the show. Nash's cousin, Ezra Holland also produced the show. That leads me to believe that Nash never wanted Shaq traded and it was a media fabrication. Why would Nash's production company be producing a show for Shaq if he hated him so much?

jb4g
08-19-2009, 08:59 AM
thought the show was pretty lame, but then again it was touch football with a bunch of high school kids. Next week is volleyball with the 2 hotties from the olympics, that should be a lil more interesting.

Summers
08-19-2009, 09:02 AM
thought the show was pretty lame, but then again it was touch football with a bunch of high school kids. Next week is volleyball with the 2 hotties from the olympics, that should be a lil more interesting.

They were college kids, but I guess it doesn't matter.

I thought it was pretty darn funny. The trash talking was classic.

Summers
08-19-2009, 09:03 AM
I noticed in the final credits of Shaq Vs. that Steve Nash is a executive producer on the show. Nash's cousin, Ezra Holland also produced the show. That leads me to believe that Nash never wanted Shaq traded and it was a media fabrication. Why would Nash's production company be producing a show for Shaq if he hated him so much?

I noticed that and thought that was interesting.

I. Hustle
08-19-2009, 10:30 AM
I thought the best part was at the end when Ben one and he said.

"Hey Shaq! Tell me how my ass tastes!"