PDA

View Full Version : Who is the biggest band....

da_suns_fan
08-18-2009, 06:37 PM
Of this decade?

60s - The Beatles, The Rolling Stones
70s - Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Eagles,
80s - U2, Guns N Roses, Van Halen, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi
90s - Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Oasis, Stone Temple Pilots, Rage against the Machine (can you tell this is when I grew up :P)

2000s - ??????

If you asked me, I would say "none". Kind of pathetic, really. Does anyone want to compare "The Killers", "Kings of Leon", "Fall Out Boy" etc to any of these bands? The only band that I could think of that had any popularity that resembled ANY of these bands is Coldplay.

mookie2001
08-18-2009, 06:40 PM
linkin park sold 100 million this decade

IronMexican
08-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Blink 182

clambake
08-18-2009, 06:53 PM
if you're talking biggest band, i think you have to look at college.

mookie2001
08-18-2009, 06:54 PM
maybe

they didnt debut with 100 million though

its no big deal the only bands i like in the orginal post are zeppelin and ratm, who wasnt the "band of the decade" at all

the rest actually suck

PakiDan
08-18-2009, 06:54 PM
I'd have to agree with Linkin Park, even though I don't like them.

Cry Havoc
08-18-2009, 07:00 PM
Are we talking rock? Or all genres? Are we speaking to the U.S. or Worldwide?

IronMexican
08-18-2009, 07:28 PM
I really can' pick one, though. There haven't been many good bands this decade. When Linkin Park is in the running, something is wrong.

mrsmaalox
08-18-2009, 08:00 PM
Of this decade?

60s - The Beatles, The Rolling Stones
70s - Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Eagles,
80s - U2, Guns N Roses, Van Halen, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi
90s - Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Oasis, Stone Temple Pilots, Rage against the Machine (can you tell this is when I grew up :P)

2000s - ??????

If you asked me, I would say "none". Kind of pathetic, really. Does anyone want to compare "The Killers", "Kings of Leon", "Fall Out Boy" etc to any of these bands? The only band that I could think of that had any popularity that resembled ANY of these bands is Coldplay.

Who came up with the picks from those other decades? Is it just your opinion? By biggest do you mean record sales?

David Bowie
08-18-2009, 08:09 PM
Can't pick any one band. These days, bands don't seem to have any staying power. It seems like the only new starts with staying power are the ones that become famous celebrities for being famous, and not their talent. I blame reality TV.

mardigan
08-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Radiohead

mookie2001
08-18-2009, 08:20 PM
the stones, bob dylan, u2, bon jovi, springsteen, have been raking it in for 50, 50, 30, 30, 30 years and they all suck

if youre talking about making money and selling records dave mathews band, radiohead, pearl jam are probably all going to out-earn all of those chodes combined, adjusted for inflation

and in 30 years chodes will be comparing pearl jam to the "greats"

lil_penny
08-18-2009, 08:23 PM
For this decade the biggest band has got to be linkin park.

mardigan
08-18-2009, 08:27 PM
For some reason I thought this thread said best band.
Sadly the biggest bands of the 2000's will be bands like Creed, Nickelback, Linkin Park, Godsmack and Metallica, and all the boy bands.
That is sad.

dirk4mvp
08-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Backstreet Boys.

CubanSucks
08-18-2009, 08:32 PM
Linkin Park's 2 albums at the biggening of the decade (don't remember their names) were amazing. Recently however, they fell into the Green Day trap and got political and now suck balls.

CubanSucks
08-18-2009, 08:36 PM
Even though they've been around longer than just this decade "Red Hot Chili Peppers" are one of the greatest bands. I can't even count how many of their songs I hear on the radio.

CubanSucks
08-18-2009, 08:40 PM
Seether is also good, and even though I only like 2 of their songs Coldplay is also a big time band.

Ok that's the last post till someone responds

Nbadan
08-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Black-eyed Peas, Nickleback, Green Day, Linkin Park

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Linkin Park is so gay.

Thunder Dan
08-18-2009, 10:02 PM
look how awful music is these days.....look at the bands mentioned before you get to the 2000's

IronMexican
08-18-2009, 10:04 PM
90's was definitely the bestest time for music.

da_suns_fan
08-18-2009, 10:10 PM
Radiohead

For some reason I thought this thread said best band.
Sadly the biggest bands of the 2000's will be bands like Creed, Nickelback, Linkin Park, Godsmack and Metallica, and all the boy bands.
That is sad.

Nickelback and Metallica are 90s hold-overs.

mookie_crew
08-18-2009, 10:14 PM
nothing comes close to all the shitty underground rock we listen to. its cool cause no one else listens to it though

tlongII
08-18-2009, 10:15 PM
Gun's and Roses were 90's, not 80's.

da_suns_fan
08-18-2009, 10:19 PM
Black-eyed Peas, Nickleback, Green Day, Linkin Park

Black-eyed Peas isnt a rock band. Green Day is a 90s holdover (I saw them in 94 and they were already HUGE).

Seems to me the "Consensus" is Linkin Park and I guess Im okay with that.

They have sold 50 million albums according to Wikipedia. My point is that you can name so many HUGE bands from every other decade. Think how many I missed from each one.

70s - Queen. Is Linkin Park as big as Queen was? I mean seriously. Nickelback doesnt even belong in the same sentence. And Queen isnt nearly as big as Pink Floyd and the legendary Led Zeppelin (who is an immortal with the Beatles and the Stones). Honorable mention to KISS (who sucks) and Black Sabbath.

60s - Grateful Dead. No one from this decade even comes close. Dead heads were following these guys around in the 90s up until the day Jerry Garcia died.

70s/90s - Aerosmith - Freaking A. How could I forget Aerosmith? Big one of these two decades and count the number of hits they had. That "Get a Grip" album in the early 90s was HUGE!! Theyre probably my favorite band still together.

da_suns_fan
08-18-2009, 10:21 PM
Gun's and Roses were 90's, not 80's.

I know YOURE not young so Ill just laugh that off:

"Welcome to the Jungle" is a song by American hard rock band Guns N' Roses, featured on their 1987 debut studio album, Appetite for Destruction. It was released as the band's second single on October 3, 1987 and reached number seven on the Billboard Hot 100 chart[1] and number sixty-seven on the UK Singles Chart.[2]

Guns N Roses fizzled out just as Nirvana came around IIRC.

IronMexican
08-18-2009, 10:22 PM
Aerosmith and KISS are just as shitty as Linkin Park.

mookie2001
08-18-2009, 10:23 PM
YDRC

use your illusions were bigger than god, the same time as nirvana

but then again you didnt put metallica in the 80s or 90s so no big deal

da_suns_fan
08-18-2009, 10:25 PM
Even though they've been around longer than just this decade "Red Hot Chili Peppers" are one of the greatest bands. I can't even count how many of their songs I hear on the radio.

Im 28 now. "Give it Away" and "Under the Bridge" are RHCP's signature songs (I know they have had a ton of hits since) but those two came out when I was in the 6th grade. Lets say every band can only belong to one decade and I think the 90s would claim the Red Hot CHili Peppers.

Freakin Awesome band, though.

da_suns_fan
08-18-2009, 10:26 PM
Aerosmith and KISS are just as shitty as Linkin Park.

Kiss, I agree.

But shame on you for blasting Aerosmith. Say ten "Hail Marys" and listen to "Sweet Emotions" five times.

Thunder Dan
08-18-2009, 10:30 PM
Radiohead are still the best band to come out since the Beatles and Stones, so they get my vote even though their 2 best albums were in the 90's- they still released 4 others that were better than anyone elses this past decade

mookie2001
08-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Radiohead are still the best band to come out since the Beatles and Stones, so they get my vote even though their 2 best albums were in the 90's- they still released 4 others that were better than anyone elses this past decade

so youre saying radiohead is a top 3 band in the history of music?

da_suns_fan
08-18-2009, 10:33 PM
YDRC

use your illusions were bigger than god, the same time as nirvana

but then again you didnt put metallica in the 80s or 90s so no big deal

I guess Metallica and GNR would both fall into late 80s/early 90s. I still consider Metallica 90s and GNR 80s for some reason. Maybe because Metallica had more staying power and were still making hits throughout the 90s.

Thunder Dan
08-18-2009, 10:34 PM
so youre saying radiohead is a top 3 band in the history of music?

in the history of Pop music they are a top 3 band. I thought that was common knowledge

da_suns_fan
08-18-2009, 10:35 PM

They gotta be "classified" as a 90s holdover. If people think of radiohead, what "time" will they think of? I'll always remember when "Creep" was big.

Amuseddaysleeper
Radiohead put out one of the best albums of the decade with "Kid A", but really fell off after that.

Animal Collective and Outkast probably deserve band of the decade status, but in regards to "biggest" I'd have to go with Coldplay. They've emerged as this decade's U2 or a band that 20 years from now will still play to packed arenas even if they aren't very good (not saying U2 aren't good, this is more for Coldplay).

Linkin Park won't do crap many years from now, and their bigger album sales were early on the decade. They've fallen off a bit now.

mookie2001
no its not because almost every single band you can think of came after the stones and the beatles

da_suns_fan
08-18-2009, 10:36 PM
in the history of Pop music they are a top 3 band. I thought that was common knowledge

Radiohead is such an anomaly. I dont think theres ever been a band so universally praised and loved that got such little radio play.

SA210
08-18-2009, 10:38 PM
U2 is my all-time favorite band, Guns N Roses close 2nd. Michael Jackson my favorite solo artist of all-time.

da_suns_fan
08-18-2009, 10:38 PM
Radiohead put out one of the best albums of the decade with "Kid A", but really fell off after that.

Animal Collective and Outkast probably deserve band of the decade status, but in regards to "biggest" I'd have to go with Coldplay. They've emerged as this decade's U2 or a band that 20 years from now will still play to packed arenas even if they aren't very good (not saying U2 aren't good, this is more for Coldplay).

Linkin Park won't do crap many years from now, and their bigger album sales were early on the decade. They've fallen off a bit now.

I agree. This decade had its own U2 in Coldplay and plenty of great R&B groups and rap. But is Cold Play a "rock band"? Could you play their hits on Guitar hero?

Thunder Dan
08-18-2009, 10:39 PM
Radiohead is such an anomaly. I dont think theres ever been a band so universally praised and loved that got such little radio play.

yeah they are like the most overrated underrated band in the world, and are very polarizing. You rarely hear anyone say that they just think Radiohead is alright- people either hate them or love them.

da_suns_fan
08-18-2009, 10:39 PM
U2 is my all-time favorite band, Guns N Roses close 2nd. Michael Jackson my favorite solo artist of all-time.

The Mount Rushmore of popular music would inlude Elvis, The Beatles, Michael Jackson and someone else.

Thunder Dan
08-18-2009, 10:42 PM
They gotta be "classified" as a 90s holdover. If people think of radiohead, what "time" will they think of? I'll always remember when "Creep" was big.

Pablo Honey is their worst selling album though. So that can't be the height of their fame. That was the only song played on mainstream radio, but it wasn't Radiohead. Radiohead transformed from a British Invasion Rock band into one of the biggest innovators in the history of rock music. Kid A is where they changed the most, and that was in 2000.

dirk4mvp
lol tlong.

A 90's band that formed around 85? Cool.

Amuseddaysleeper
I agree. This decade had its own U2 in Coldplay and plenty of great R&B groups and rap. But is Cold Play a "rock band"? Could you play their hits on Guitar hero?

Maybe not, but then again I think "Yellow" was in either Guitar Hero or Rock Band. They're still considered a rock band, even though the definition of rock has really changed over the years.

Radiohead isn't a top 3 band of all time, they are simply a band that put out back to back classics in OK Computer and Kid A, and then have a back catalogue filled with some very solid albums, but let's not go overboard with them.

They do put on a great live show, however.

da_suns_fan
08-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Pablo Honey is their worst selling album though. So that can't be the height of their fame. That was the only song played on mainstream radio, but it wasn't Radiohead. Radiohead transformed from a British Invasion Rock band into one of the biggest innovators in the history of rock music. Kid A is where they changed the most, and that was in 2000.

You make a very persuasive case. Are they number one or number two (Linkin Park would be the other)?

Amuseddaysleeper
08-18-2009, 10:46 PM
If Linkin Park are the biggest band of the decade (they aren't) then this has to be the most pathetic decade in the history of music.

Thunder Dan
08-18-2009, 10:46 PM
You make a very persuasive case. Are they number one or number two (Linkin Park would be the other).
I mean Linkin Park wins hands down because of album sales. But that would mean the 80's belongs to Bon Jovi- but are they really the biggest band of the 80s?

Amuseddaysleeper
08-18-2009, 10:47 PM

Radiohead's peak was the Bends-OKC era.

Kid A was their best work by far, but a lot of people that's where they lost their mainstream appeal.

I know that's an odd argument considering I picked Animal Collective as one of the best groups of the decade (whom I'm gonna assume aren't very well known on this board), but Radiohead will always be remembered much as a 90's band than a 2000's one. Even if they started the decade off with one hell of a statement.

mookie2001
08-18-2009, 10:48 PM
ac/dc sold has sold more than bon jovi its not even close

Thunder Dan
08-18-2009, 10:48 PM
If Linkin Park are the biggest band of the decade (they aren't) then this has to be the most pathetic decade in the history of music.

could be worse. these guys could have stayed together

9RZXaoaK8NI

da_suns_fan
08-18-2009, 10:49 PM
I mean Linkin Park wins hands down because of album sales. But that would mean the 80's belongs to Bon Jovi- but are they really the biggest band of the 80s?

I dont know. I have a buddy at work who was/is a HUGE 80s "hair band" guy (think of Frank the Tank from "Old School" but a smart engineer) and he said Bon Jovi when I asked him who was the "biggest" band of that decade.

Amuseddaysleeper
08-18-2009, 10:50 PM
could be worse. these guys could have stayed together

9RZXaoaK8NI

:lol :lol :lol

well played

da_suns_fan
08-18-2009, 10:50 PM

Nice. What decade claims AC/DC, though? 80s?

holcs50
08-18-2009, 10:53 PM
Lasting bands like RHCP, aerosmith, u2 are hard to put into a specific decade because people have different tastes and they will say that the band belongs to a certain decade depending on how much they like the given albums in that decade. Debates could go on and on.

For RHCP there style has changed so radically over the years. 80s they had 4 albums and the vibe was more funky, kiedis was rapping more compared to more singing now days. I wouldn't put them in this decade, as I like the vibe and singing in 90s and 00s better

90s saw blood sugar sex magic where they kind of bridged their old funk to a newer style-still had give it away, suck my kiss which showed kiedis rappin thru most, and then had songs that switched the vibe like breaking the girl and under the bridge. This album was their defining album Then one hot minutes aka the navarro experiment which was pretty garbage besides one or two songs. Then the full transformation really came forward in californication-arguably their best album.

00s saw By the Way, an album that continued on where californication left off combining some great riffs, with kiedis still crazy lyrics. This id say is their most underrated album as I think it's an album that can almost be listened thru first to last without a skip. Then Stadium Arcadium which was just a massive double cd that threw a ton of great songs out there BUT also had some filler. Overall amazing also.

They are currently getting back together to work on a new album which would drop next year so this decade is pretty much closed unless u count 2010 as the end of the decade.

I'd say you could make cases for 90s or 00s. 90s had their two most known albums in
BSSM, and Californication, but also had one hot minute which was a Fail. 00 had really
3 cds in the double stadium and by the way and all 3 were very good. If they hadn't taken a long break after stadium and made another cd this decade that was legit i would definitely say 00s. But can't deny the 90s and in general I'd say that RHCP belongs to the 90s because of the two groundbreaking albums. To me, i like more of their songs in the 00 cds than i did in the 90s cds and would say for me they'd be 00, but as far as how history will put them I'd say 90s.

im not even getting into the others-that went on way too long.

Thunder Dan
08-18-2009, 10:57 PM

70's hold over

David Bowie
08-18-2009, 11:01 PM
I dont know. I have a buddy at work who was/is a HUGE 80s "hair band" guy (think of Frank the Tank from "Old School" but a smart engineer) and he said Bon Jovi when I asked him who was the "biggest" band of that decade.

I'm not sure that AC/DC qualifies as a hairband. Anyhow, Bon JOvi has stayed togetehr for nearly three decades. I saw them a few years ago and they were great. Definatly one of the only 80's bands that survived post 80's .

iggypop123
08-18-2009, 11:16 PM
stop listing bands that arent 2000. it looks like any attempts to find a band are not working. just reflects the times but all i can think of are the mars volta, the strokes(people were really hyping them) . system of a down, although they debuted in 98 but their breakthrough was in 2000.

Sense
08-18-2009, 11:42 PM
Definately Radiohead,Coldplay, Arcade Fire?

Linkin Park?

Seriously?

da_suns_fan
08-18-2009, 11:45 PM
Definately Radiohead,Coldplay, Arcade Fire?

Linkin Park?

Seriously?

Who?

Sense
08-18-2009, 11:49 PM
Who?

Ehh I like em...

It's kinda hard for the 00's...

But Coldplay is a duh.

I'd like Radiohead to be there but idk... I'm always gonna say radiohead... since it's my favorite band.

phyzik
08-18-2009, 11:50 PM
I dont like Metallica that much but you cant argue against their record sales, concert ticket sales and staying power. They are easily the band of the decade, if not the past 2 or 3 decades, if you go by those 3 non-opinionated criterias.

Anyone listen to Blind Guardian? Still have mixed feelings about them but I like some of their music. The singer has an epic 80's rock voice. My favorite song from them was actually the reward for finishing a quest in the game Sacred 2: Fallen Angel.

I think it has something to do with actual battle axes strung like guitars, a magical staff for a Microphone, battle shields for the drum cymbols and a bunch of demons and monsters rocking out.... total rock overload :lol

De0wub-vVjE

z0sa
08-18-2009, 11:50 PM
RHCP IMO. if you want to throw the book out and include 1999's Californication, I'd say its pretty indisputable.

DMX7
08-18-2009, 11:53 PM
u2

Ditto.

U2 isn't in its prime but it's the biggest band out there.

phyzik
08-19-2009, 12:12 AM
Tenacious D is the band of the decade. No Doubt. When you can make a guys head explode from just the sound of your voice with no microphone after you wrote the song just 5 minutes before going on stage, you are the shit.

80DtQD5BQ_A

holcs50
08-19-2009, 01:53 AM
Most probably don't know much of AFI, started in 90s but definitely an 00 band. black sails in the sunset, art of drowning, Sing the sorrow, and december underground. The last two were pretty mainstream and both great albums-personally they'd be up there for me, and yea I agree there really isn't many bands that broke thru or started in the 00s that are very good. I can't think of many bands that have put together two or three good to great albums the last ten years or so. Killers first two were pretty good, but I mean I feel bad even listing them...i guess you could put korn in, but all their good stuff stopped in about 03, and the last 3 or so albums suck...

wow it is bad, im surprised i have to rack my brain this much. Well here's to 2010-20 or so being a hell of a lot better than 00-10.

JudynTX
08-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Since 1999.....

Disturbed

Disturbed is a Grammy Award-nominated American rock band from Chicago, Illinois, formed in 1996 when musicians Dan Donegan, Steve "Fuzz" Kmak, and Mike Wengren hired singer David Draiman. Since the band's formation, they have sold over 11 million albums worldwide and released three consecutive number-one studio albums[1], making them one of the most successful rock bands in recent years.[2] Only four other rock bands have had three consecutive studio albums reach number one in their first week of release: Van Halen, Staind, Metallica, and System of a Down (not counting Steal This Album!).

:D

JoeChalupa
08-19-2009, 09:41 AM
In this decade I wouldn't have a clue.

mookie_crew
08-24-2009, 04:23 PM
creed

Strike
08-24-2009, 06:13 PM
I don't know about biggest, but my 5 favorite bands to makes names for themselves in this decade are HIM, The 69 Eyes, Alkaline Trio, Rise Against and Avenged Sevenfold (1st two albums anyway).

The 69 Eyes and HIM had strong followings in Europe pre-2000 but were relatively unknown in the states until early to mid 2000's.
Alkaline Trio's 1st album (Goddammit)was a '98 release but since the 2000 release of Maybe I'll Catch Fire, they've built a fairly dedicated fanbase.
Rise Against released The Unraveling in 2001 and all 5 of their albums to date are damn good.
Avenged Sevenfold's 1st two albums (Sounding The Seventh Trumpet, Waking The Fallen) are two unbelievable albums in my opinion but from City Of Evil on, they've become whores to MTV.

And even though it would be considered a 80's or 90's holdover, Nine Inch Nails has been big in this decade as well.

Big Empty
08-24-2009, 07:05 PM
Nickelback, linkin park, and staind are probably the biggest rock bands of this decade.

chungoman
08-24-2009, 10:16 PM
radiohead
the mars volta
queens of the stone age
obviously those are just personal favorites and in terms of sales or whatever they wouldn't even be top 10
also we'd have to at least mention some indie rock bands like the strokes, the white stripes, arctic monkeys, franz ferdinand etc,
maybe they are not that big in the USA but in europe and latin america they were huge a couple years ago.

Spurminator
08-25-2009, 12:09 AM
I'm leaning towards Radiohead. I think they had a huge influence on music, mainstream and otherwise, this decade. Green Day would be another mainstream choice, but they had a lot of off time between albums.

Wilco would be a good indie choice, but they have no hits to speak of. If we open it up to artists instead of bands I might say someone like Alicia Keys or (ugh) Kanye West. Or maybe Jack White for his multiple efforts.

I don't know, kind of depressing to think about the lack of great bands this decade. Probably why I quit listening to new music around 2003 or so.

Jacob1983
08-25-2009, 12:25 AM
I would say Linkin Park is the biggest band of this decade. Coldplay would be 2nd and Nickelback would be a close 3rd. I'm pretty sure Linkin Park has sold the most albums of any band or singer that debuted this decade.
http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart_watch/39906/chart-watch-extra-the-top-20-new-acts-of-the-2000s/

Fat Bones
08-25-2009, 03:48 AM
Probably why I quit listening to new music around 2003 or so.

You are missing out, my friend.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=59838498

The reason all those crappy bands are so big, is because they cater to the WalMart audience, which fits the Clear Channel formula. Very profitable, that.

I'd say Radiohead, as well.