PDA

View Full Version : Gasol is a quality import for Lakers

Showtime24 LAKERS
08-19-2009, 04:04 AM
The Los Angeles Laker whose first name appears to be missing a letter is anything but AWOL in the NBA Finals.

Pau Gasol, the Los Angeles Lakers' towering, mobile Spaniard, is averaging 21 points, 7 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 1.7 blocks in three games. Gasol, 28, is shooting higher percentages than for his career (62.2% from the floor, 89.5% from the free throw line).

The Lakers might have to start getting him the ball even more, as they did at crunchtime in the playoffs against the Houston Rockets and Denver Nuggets.

"It just has to be a conscious effort that, 'This works; let's make it work a little more often,' " Gasol said Wednesday after practice.

What makes Gasol's offensive output more laudable is the 7-footer must expend a lot of energy defending muscular Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard on the inside, and slippery forward Rashard Lewis on the outside.

In the Lakers' Game 3 loss, Howard and Lewis totaled 42 points and 19 rebounds as Gasol shared defensive duties with Andrew Bynum and Lamar Odom.

"With me, there are always questions and doubts," Gasol said. "European players always seem to have a label on our backs, right? 'Finesse, softer player than the American player.' That's the global visual of European players. I think I've done my part (to lessen the stereotypes).

"We're not as athletic or physically gifted, but we bring skills that many players here don't."

Gasol is the near-perfect post player for Phil Jackson's triangle offense. Because the Lakers don't regularly dump the ball inside for isolation plays, Gasol's value as a pinpoint passer in motion sets can't be underestimated. His game is as graceful as it is deadly. And his hoops IQ is undeniable.

Gasol was a well-schooled star in Barcelona before being drafted third overall by the Atlanta Hawks in the 2001. His draft rights were traded to the Memphis Grizzlies, where he played 6½ seasons before joining the Lakers in early 2008.

"Coming here, he no longer had to be The Guy," Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said. "In his own way, he is as gifted as Kobe (Bryant) is. If you look at his skill set, size and length, he doesn't have Kobe's (pure) physical gifts, but he is as incredible an athlete as Kobe in a lot of ways."

With the Lakers, Gasol has continued to refine his formidable post game. His polished back-to-the-basket moves are nearly unstoppable. He handles the ball with either hand and finishes with an array of shots, including a nearly indefensible baby hook.

"I had a guy say to me the other day, 'Hey, that Gasol guy is pretty good.' I mean, c'mon, where has this guy been?" joked ESPN Radio analyst Hubie Brown, who coached Gasol in Memphis.

With the Lakers, Gasol has been re-energized and motivated to work harder. Over the years, his biggest difficulty has been dealing with stronger power forwards such as Kevin Garnett and Karl Malone, plus strong centers such as Shaquille O'Neal and Yao Ming.

For the first time in his career, Gasol has worked on building strength during the season, and Jackson's faith in him has grown.

"Phil gave me a lot of confidence," Gasol said. "He understands what I bring to the table, what kind of competitor I am. It's helped me drive through the (negative) to bring out the best."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2009-06-10-lakers-gasol_N.htm

all_heart
08-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Lakers can't consider this guy an import, they got him from Memphis. :)

Dex
08-19-2009, 11:56 AM
This just in: Gasol quality player.

Also in the news today...water: still wet!

hater
08-19-2009, 11:56 AM
the Gasol "trade" is the reason Lakers won last year. oh, that plus the injuries to Celtics and Spurs

Culburn369
08-19-2009, 12:10 PM
the Gasol "trade" is the reason Lakers won last year. oh, that plus the injuries to Celtics and Spurs

I'd take that exact trifecta each & every year.

Def Rowe
08-19-2009, 12:16 PM
It's got to be annoying when sports reporters constantly ask you Hey, are you soft?

Muser
08-19-2009, 12:18 PM
It took the writer 2 seasons to figure he is a good fit with the Lakers?

Zee Laker
08-19-2009, 01:35 PM
This just in: Gasol quality player.

Also in the news today...water: still wet!

It is the off-season. They have nothing to talk about.

KSeal
08-19-2009, 01:36 PM

You could say that for the Celtics sure, who knows who would have won the rematch had Garnett not gone down but the Spurs were not beating the Lakers last year. Pop even said so himself. Nice troll work though, you got a response which I know you were looking for.

TheSullyMonster
08-19-2009, 01:41 PM

Not accepting gifts and not taking advantage years with injured contenders would make you pretty goddamned stupid.

Culburn369
08-19-2009, 02:01 PM
Not accepting gifts and not taking advantage years with injured contenders would make you pretty goddamned stupid.

There is a goodly portion of your brethren/pretty goddamned stupid sector who claim they'd accept nothing less than purity in their ringage.

Culburn369
08-19-2009, 02:02 PM
the Spurs were not beating the Lakers last year. Pop even said so himself.

Yes, and we enmass took Pop to the woodshed and just beat the living daylights out of him for raising a white flag like that.

"Now say goodnight."

Jello
08-20-2009, 04:09 AM

Aw. The Watcher of the Gate.

Chubby, you know that Gasol is a weak player he is the Oliver Miller of the Flakers. tee hee. Can not be denied!

Culburn369
08-20-2009, 05:17 AM
Aw. The Watcher of the Gate.

Chubby, you know that Gasol is a weak player he is the Oliver Miller of the Flakers. tee hee. Can not be denied!

LOL. Old Watcher of the Gate. I was pretty proud of that most august post. Of course I was begrudged the designation by AZ Central rank & file. I think Ethan bestowed it upon me in a most solemn ceremony in a parking lot of a Circle K.

I remember when the Republic turned a pic of Ollie on it's side in order to maginify how he was taller in width than heighth.

I also remember when Colangelo made fun of Ollie when he was with Toronto? by having the Gorilla dress up in Ollie's uniform and be a slob. Then Jerry had to eat shit over it and give Ollie a Million Dollar contract. Then Ollie ate the team scales and Colangelo ran him off for good.

Memories, misty watered colored memories of the way we were.

mystargtr34
08-20-2009, 06:47 AM
Have to agree here, Pau Gasol is very good at basketball.