PDA

View Full Version : Sheehan: Where's the antiwar movement?

DarrinS
08-19-2009, 09:30 AM
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/What-happened-to-the-antiwar-movement--Cindy-Sheehan-responds-53628177.html

After my column, "For the left, war without Bush is not war at all," (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/For-the-Left_-war-without-Bush-is-not-war-at-all-8119694-53506047.html) appeared Tuesday, I got a note from Cindy Sheehan, the anti-war activist who was the subject of so much press coverage when she led a protest against the Iraq war outside then-President George W. Bush's ranch in Texas. This is what the note said:

I read your column about the "anti-war" movement and I can't believe I am saying this, but I mostly agree with you.

The "anti-war" "left" was used by the Democratic Party. I like to call it the "anti-Republican War" movement.

While I agree with you about the hypocrisy of such sites as the DailyKos, I have known for a long time that the Democrats are equally responsible with the Republicans. That's why I left the party in May 2007 and that's why I ran for Congress against Nancy Pelosi in 2008.

I have my own radio show, "Cindy Sheehan's Soapbox," and I was out on a four-month book tour promoting the fact that it's not about Democrats or Republicans, but it's about the system.

Even if I am surrounded by a thousand, or no one, I am still working for peace.

Sincerely,

Cindy Sheehan

After receiving the email, I asked Sheehan to give me a call, so I could verify that the note in fact came from her. She did, and we discussed her plans to protest next week in Martha's Vineyard, where President Obama will be vacationing. "I think people are starting to wake up to the fact that even if they supported Obama, he doesn't represent much change," Sheehan said. "There are people still out here who oppose the war and Obama's policies, but it seems like the big organizations with the big lists aren't here."

I asked Sheehan about the fact that the press seems to have lost interest in her and her cause. "It's strange to me that you mention it," she said. "I haven't stopped working. I've been protesting every time I can, and it's not covered. But the one time I did get a lot of coverage was when I protested in front of George Bush's house in Dallas in June. I don't know what to make of it. Is the press having a honeymoon with Obama? I know the Left is."

After the protests in Massachusetts -- Sheehan told me she has no idea how many people might show up -- Sheehan will be in Washington October 5, for a protest at the White House to mark the eight anniversary of the start of the war in Afghanistan. Not only is the president escalating the war there, she said, but he's not withdrawing U.S. troops from Iraq as quickly as he originally promised. "That's why I was opposed to him," she said.

LnGrrrR
08-19-2009, 09:41 AM
This isn't an easy issue. There's many Democrats who supported war in Afghanistan, but not war in Iraq. Then there's Democrats who supported the war in Iraq, but not the implementation. Then there's Democrats who just hated Bush and everything he did. Then there's Democrats who don't agree with war in Iraq OR Afghanistan.

It's not just one group.

rjv
08-19-2009, 09:49 AM
yes, afghanistan was already a s hole and dubya turned iraq into one.

SonOfAGun
08-19-2009, 11:31 AM
Iraq is nothing like Afghan.

Iraq actually has a future.

Afghan is nothing but a rocky shithole. It will always be a rocky shithole. Americans are putting their lives on the line for a rocky shithole. Angels can go into hell and kill demons, but demons will always be in Hell.

rjv
08-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Iraq is nothing like Afghan.

Iraq actually has a future.

Afghan is nothing but a rocky shithole. It will always be a rocky shithole. Americans are putting their lives on the line for a rocky shithole. Angels can go into hell and kill demons, but demons will always be in Hell.

the absence of a western style government there should not be misconstrued as an absence of governance. the pashtun tribes along the border have a long history of well developed religious, social, and tribal structures, and they have developed their own government and methods of resolving disputes. today’s instability in aghanistan is not the continuation of some ancient condition. it is the direct result of decades of intentional dismantling of those traditional structures, leaving extremist groups to fill the vacuum. reempowering local leaders can help return the border region to an acceptable level of stability.

more importantly, afghanistan is home to the headquarters of al qaeda as well as much of the taliban insurgency. and afghans want the taliban removed. they are not tired of the western presence; they are frustrated with western incompetence.

Gino
08-19-2009, 11:45 AM
I recently read another article about this subject. It basically said that most liberals hated the war because they hated Bush. Once Bush was gone, they could care less.

SonOfAGun
08-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Goat Herders.
Opium Growers.
Terrorists.
Rocks.

That is what American soldiers are dieing for.

clambake
08-19-2009, 01:53 PM
how long have you had this opinion?

rjv
08-19-2009, 02:08 PM
it will not be the death or capture of every last enemy fighter that wins this war, but creating a position of strength from which to negotiate a lasting political solution to a cycle of conflict that has persisted in afghanistan for decades.

boutons_deux
08-19-2009, 03:10 PM
"negotiate a lasting political solution"

:lol

negotiate with Taliban?

negotiate with totally corrupt official governments?

rjv
08-19-2009, 03:14 PM
"negotiate a lasting political solution"

:lol

negotiate with Taliban?

negotiate with totally corrupt official governments?

where in my post did you see the phrase "negotiate with the taliban"-are you confusing pashtun tribes with the taliban?

manufan10
08-19-2009, 03:38 PM
I recently read another article about this subject. It basically said that most liberals hated the war because they hated Bush. Once Bush was gone, they could care less.

I read the same article.

angrydude
08-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Democrats have never been anti war. They're anti-republican.

Nice to know that Sheehan is actually sincere.

johnsmith
08-19-2009, 03:41 PM
It's almost as if they are ANTI-EVERYTHING.

angrydude
08-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Its not the politicians I care about. They're just doing what politicians do.

Its the hypocrites on the left (and the right) who stop caring once their party wins that bother me.

George Gervin's Afro
08-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Its not the politicians I care about. They're just doing what politicians do.

Its the hypocrites on the left (and the right) who stop caring once their party wins that bother me.

I support necessary wars. It's the wars of choice that I have a problem with.

ChumpDumper
08-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Most people wanted a withdrawal from Iraq. We're getting that.

What's left to protest?

InRareForm
08-19-2009, 04:53 PM
http://rethinkafghanistan.com/troop_full.php

DMX7
08-19-2009, 06:31 PM
This isn't an easy issue. There's many Democrats who supported war in Afghanistan, but not war in Iraq.

Bingo! Sad that conservatives can't understand it. Besides we're they the ones crying when Obama pull troops out of some Iraq cities. Fact is Obama is trying to get us out of Iraq because it was a mistake but Afghanistan is an actual problem (not self made like Iraq).

Yonivore
08-19-2009, 07:49 PM
...Democrats who just hated Bush and everything he did...
Actually, there's the bingo.

Nice of someone to finally notice it was never about the war.

George Gervin's Afro
08-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Actually, there's the bingo.

Nice of someone to finally notice it was never about the war.

Seriously Yoni it's about the war.

Yonivore
08-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Seriously Yoni it's about the war.
So, where have all the protesters gone? Obama is continuing the previous administration's policy in Iraq and Afghanistan -- with the same SecDef, I hasten to add. So, where are they?

Why isn't the media covering Sheehan at Martha's Vineyard like they did at Crawford? What about her "absolute moral authority?"

George Gervin's Afro
08-19-2009, 08:52 PM
So, where have all the protesters gone? Obama is continuing the previous administration's policy in Iraq and Afghanistan -- with the same SecDef, I hasten to add. So, where are they?

Why isn't the media covering Sheehan at Martha's Vineyard like they did at Crawford? What about her "absolute moral authority?"

We own Iraq yoni. Are you going to acknowledge that? Not many folks, myself included, never had an issue with going after the guy who was primarily responsible for 9/11.

Yonivore
08-19-2009, 08:54 PM
We own Iraq yoni. Are you going to acknowledge that? Not many folks, myself included, never had an issue with going after the guy who was primarily responsible for 9/11.
So, what has happened to the protests?

George Gervin's Afro
08-19-2009, 08:58 PM
So, what has happened to the protests?

Haven't you heard? We've been withdrawing from Iraq for a while. Are you against bringing our troops home? What is there to protest?

Yonivore
08-19-2009, 09:07 PM
Haven't you heard? We've been withdrawing from Iraq for a while. Are you against bringing our troops home? What is there to protest?
On Bush's time table and we're still going to be there, in case you haven't heard.

George Gervin's Afro
08-19-2009, 09:19 PM
On Bush's time table and we're still going to be there, in case you haven't heard.

We have no choice but to stick around yoni. i can't figure out if your happy or upset about iraq. you were gung ho for iraq prior to 1/20/09..

Yonivore
08-19-2009, 09:24 PM
We have no choice but to stick around yoni. i can't figure out if your happy or upset about iraq. you were gung ho for iraq prior to 1/20/09..
I'm just trying to figure out where the protesters went. Did we "have no choice but to sick around," on January 20th? When did we reach that stage?

And, to be clear, I still believe Iraq was -- and continued to be -- a legitimate and justified war.

Apparently, a good portion of the opponents believe that too, now that Obama is President.

Jacob1983
08-20-2009, 12:10 AM
I thought this woman's 15 minutes of fame expired a long time ago.

ChumpDumper
08-20-2009, 03:00 AM
On Bush's time table and we're still going to be there, in case you haven't heard.No combat troops, and if the Iraqis decide so, everyone will leave sooner than originally planned.

I'm just trying to figure out where the protesters went. Did we "have no choice but to sick around," on January 20th? When did we reach that stage?

And, to be clear, I still believe Iraq was -- and continued to be -- a legitimate and justified war.It was a stupid turd of a war and only idiot neocons who think they are still translating the documents believe it was legitimate and justified. It has been mitigated since Bush stopped listening to Rumsfeld and Cheney and implemented a strategy that actually reflected the reality of the conflict and not what God told him or whatever the hell he was thinking at the time. Dude fucked up. Everyone knows he did -- everyone except you.

Apparently, a good portion of the opponents believe that too, now that Obama is President.Combat troops are leaving Iraq. That's what most of the opponents of the war wanted. It's happening, so again: what exactly is there left to protest?

DarrinS
08-20-2009, 03:17 PM
ABC's Charlie Gibson to Cindy Sheehan: "Enough already"

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/ABCs-Charles-Gibson-to-Cindy-Sheehan-Thanks-for-your-sacrifice-Now-get-lost-53803917.html

In an appearance August 18 on WLS radio in Chicago, ABC News anchor Charles Gibson was asked about anti-war protester Cindy Sheehan's plans to travel to Martha's Vineyard next week, where she will protest the Iraq and Afghanistan wars while President Obama is vacationing there. Gibson, whose newscast and network featured Sheehan when she led anti-war protests outside President Bush's Texas ranch in 2005, answered, "Enough already."

That's a remarkably different stance from the one Gibson took four years ago. On August 9, 2005, the ABC anchor conducted an extensive on-air interview with Sheehan. "Cindy Sheehan is her name," Gibson began. "She says she's not moving until the president meets with her, and I had a chance to speak with her a few minutes ago. Cindy Sheehan, bottom line, what do you hope to accomplish with all this?" During the next week, Gibson and ABC continued to cover Sheehan. On August 17, 2005, when Sheehan left Crawford, Gibson reported, "We're going to turn next to the standoff that is playing out near President Bush's ranch in Crawford, Texas. Cindy Sheehan, you know, the mother who lost a son in Iraq, is now on the move, but she's still standing her ground. ABC's Geoff Morrell is in Crawford with the details…" The next day, Gibson reported, "All across the country last night, people held candlelight vigils in support of Cindy Sheehan…" Sheehan was mentioned in several other ABC newscasts, as well.

This week, after the Washington Examiner reported that Sheehan will be protesting on Martha's Vineyard (see here and here), WLS radio host Don Wade, noting all the coverage that Sheehan received in 2005, asked Gibson "whether we're going to see some coverage of Cindy Sheehan…do you suppose Cindy is going to make the news again?"

Gibson's answer was sympathetic but clear: No. "I gather she's going back to Martha's Vineyard," Gibson began.

It's such a sad story. Martha Raddatz [of ABC News] wrote a terrific book about one battle that took place in Iraq, and it was the battle in which Cindy's son was killed. And you look at somebody like that and you think here's somebody who's just trying to find some meaning in her son's death. And you have to be sympathetic to her. Anybody who has given a son to this country has made an enormous sacrifice, and you have to be sympathetic. But enough already.

You can listen to the entire interview here.

This week a number of observers have wondered whether the press will cover Sheehan now that she is protesting a war run by Barack Obama as opposed to George W. Bush. Gibson's interview strongly suggests it won't happen.

Jacob1983
08-21-2009, 02:55 AM
Gibson was doing what ABC wanted. They wanted Sheehan to be propped up as an icon or lead of the antiwar movement during the war in Iraq and Bush years. Bush is not president and Sheehan's 15 minutes of fame are up so Gibson has seen the light and is saying what most people would say. Time to move on. I mean it sucks that her son died in a questionable and probably unnecessary war but dragging on about it and not letting go is not good for her. She needs to move on and let her son rest in peace.