PDA

View Full Version : Do trolls have the right to anonymity?

LnGrrrR
08-19-2009, 10:23 AM
http://www.salon.com/mwt/broadsheet/2009/08/19/skanks_in_nyc/

Listen up, anonymous bloggers: You don't get to call someone a "Horsey Face," "ho," "skank bitch" or "#1 skanky superstar" and remain anonymous. A judge ruled (http://www.nypost.com/seven/08182009/news/regionalnews/ho_no_you_didnt_185152.htm) Tuesday that Google must reveal the name of the creator of "Skanks in NYC," a now defunct Web site that was hosted on its blogging platform and existed for the express purpose of publicly leveling such schoolyard insults at model Liskula Cohen.

I'm against this ruling... if you want to slur insults and libel someone anonymously online, I really don't have a problem with it. Heck, some of our founding fathers published the Federalist Papers pseudonomously to keep their anonymity.

I. Hustle
08-19-2009, 10:35 AM
Who is that chick? What did she do?

DarrinS
08-19-2009, 10:40 AM
I'm against the ruling.

fyatuk
08-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Meh. Not the first time a web service or ISP has been forced to give up the name of an account holder who was defaming someone.

And they should be able to, provided there's a significant liklihood of the defamation/lible case going the way of the complaintant.

Doesn't matter much either way to me, though. I'd rather people be held responsible for their actions, but anyone who takes a blog on the interet seriously enough to get offended probably has other problems...

sam1617
08-19-2009, 10:47 AM
Libel is illegal, isn't it? So if they are breaking the law, then charges should be pressed (if desired by the offended party) and the police should investigate, figure out who the blogger is, and go to trial.

If there are no charges, than the "blogger" should be allowed to remain anonymous.

Of course, I still think that in this case, its in poor taste to behave like this, but as long as they stay within the bounds of the law...

Wild Cobra
08-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Do trolls have the right to anonymity?Difficult question. What I would like is in conflict with what is legal. Now in the instance when someone has the right to sue for slander, I say no. Their identity should be revealed. As for those on this board, I would like to see the owners of the forums to hunt them down, cut them into tiny pieces, and burn them so they cannot regenerate.

coyotes_geek
08-19-2009, 10:53 AM
libel is illegal, isn't it? So if they are breaking the law, then charges should be pressed (if desired by the offended party) and the police should investigate, figure out who the blogger is, and go to trial.

If there are no charges, than the "blogger" should be allowed to remain anonymous.

Of course, i still think that in this case, its in poor taste to behave like this, but as long as they stay within the bounds of the law...

+1

Michael Brown
08-19-2009, 10:53 AM
Hey! trolls have rights, too.

Cane
08-19-2009, 10:56 AM
You'll be surprised how much power law enforcement has nowadays; for example they can easily look up your facebook/myspace/forums/etc.

I've got np with this ruling. Trolls deserve time behind bars.

jack sommerset
08-19-2009, 11:00 AM
Trolls lack the guts to follow through with their original post and /or just want to cut people down without retaliation. They have zero humility because they hide.This is the only complaint I have about this site. They not only allow it, they support it. Trolls are cowards. Plain and simple. With that said I am glad the ruling came down. More sites should put a stop 2 this without a court order.

Wild Cobra
08-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Who is that chick? What did she do?
She's a beautiful model at 40 that puts many younger ones to shame. The troll is probably a jealous model for vengeance of losing a gig to her, in my opinion.

Model Liskula Cohen Sues Google Over “Skanks In NYC” Blog (http://www.inquisitr.com/14423/liskula-cohen-skanks-in-nyc-blog/)

Google sued over Blogger comments (http://www.jashsayani.com/google-sued-over-blogger-comments/)

LnGrrrR
08-19-2009, 11:05 AM
Libel is illegal, isn't it? So if they are breaking the law, then charges should be pressed (if desired by the offended party) and the police should investigate, figure out who the blogger is, and go to trial.

Of course, I still think that in this case, its in poor taste to behave like this, but as long as they stay within the bounds of the law...

I'm not a big fan of "libel/slander" laws as is. But in this case, many of the claims on this website seem to be of an opinionated nature (skank, whore, etc).

The only 'fact' based claim it would seem is that she sleeps around alot... that would be one heck of an interesting court case to prove.

manufan10
08-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Rack the trolls!

Chingo Bling
08-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Trolls lack the guts to follow through with their original post and /or just want to cut people down without retaliation. They have zero humility because they hide.This is the only complaint I have about this site. They not only allow it, they support it. Trolls are cowards. Plain and simple. With that said I am glad the ruling came down. More sites should put a stop 2 this without a court order.

Screw jou puto! Jou can suck my 14 insh pinga joto. MMLV

sabar
08-20-2009, 06:10 AM
If you put yourself in the public, you're free game. A model has to know this. Keep your body to yourself if you don't want people to remark based on it. I'd be a pissed-off New Yorker if my tax dollars went to protecting some rich chick's feelings and prosecuting some random unemployed kid with a big mouth.

Wild Cobra
08-20-2009, 10:35 AM
If you put yourself in the public, you're free game. A model has to know this. Keep your body to yourself if you don't want people to remark based on it. I'd be a pissed-off New Yorker if my tax dollars went to protecting some rich chick's feelings and prosecuting some random unemployed kid with a big mouth.Sound's like you're talking about Chump!

LnGrrrR
08-20-2009, 11:10 AM
If you put yourself in the public, you're free game. A model has to know this. Keep your body to yourself if you don't want people to remark based on it. I'd be a pissed-off New Yorker if my tax dollars went to protecting some rich chick's feelings and prosecuting some random unemployed kid with a big mouth.

Exactly the way I feel about it.

z0sa
08-20-2009, 12:26 PM
This is horrible. Whose to say whether you are a troll or not? Whose to say whether the comments are in jest, even if it is a long running inappropriate joke?

ChumpDumper
08-20-2009, 12:46 PM
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/1998/likulatv8.jpg

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/51/likula7sn5.jpg

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/9881/likula99hl2.jpg

How could anyone call this delicate flower a skank?

angrydude
08-20-2009, 01:33 PM
The law should depend on how intentional the insult is and how much harm it causes. That's probably how it already is though.

hater
08-20-2009, 01:39 PM
annonimity???? in the USA???? hahahahahahaha

sam1617
08-20-2009, 02:23 PM
I'm not a big fan of "libel/slander" laws as is. But in this case, many of the claims on this website seem to be of an opinionated nature (skank, whore, etc).

The only 'fact' based claim it would seem is that she sleeps around alot... that would be one heck of an interesting court case to prove.

It depends. Libel and slander laws have their purpose. If I go around saying that you kill and eat babies, and people believe me, and it hurts your business, you should probably press charges.

But at the same time, if I'm just gossiping about how you only sleep with fat women, thats not something worth pressing charges. :)

And I agree, this situation is just in bad taste to me, not really worth criminal charges.... Just put them both in a boxing ring and let them go at it.

jack sommerset
08-20-2009, 02:41 PM
How could anyone call this delicate flower a skank?

:lol