PDA

View Full Version : Who has the WORST sports radio show? national or local?

redskinfan
08-19-2009, 11:41 AM
The Dan Patrick show has got to be one of the worst, this guy is so full of himself and his sidekicks are pure crap, also the Jonathon Kincaide show on weekends on espn radio blows too, this guy just preaches to the listener on what we should think about his favorite players or teams..locally I dont like STSA with Taylor either...just my thoughts anyone else have any?

samikeyp
08-19-2009, 11:47 AM
The JK show is like a infomercial for the Eagles. :lol Not a fan of Czaben either.

IronMexican
08-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Rome = Best.

DPS is pretty weak.

rjv
08-19-2009, 11:52 AM
rome is good. patrick does suck and all the local ones here are terrible (although i do like the guys on the grind).

mike and mike are pretty good.

Thunder Dan
08-19-2009, 11:53 AM
Jim Rome is unlistenable, he gets lost in his own shtick, kisses everyone's ass when they call in then talks shit when they hang up. He is just lame

Ferrall on Howard101 on Sirius is the best....nobody else is even close.

MoSpur
08-19-2009, 11:55 AM
Rome and Taylor have the worst Nationally and Locally.

The Best is Tony Bruno.

redskinfan
08-19-2009, 11:56 AM
yeah I forgot about Rome and his praising of his interviews..

Thunder Dan
08-19-2009, 11:56 AM
I hate how with Rome you have to call up and act like him in order to get on the air. You have to have a "take" and try to be funny to get on, rather than just calling in and actling like a normal human being who isn't trying to act like and asshole

redskinfan
08-19-2009, 11:58 AM
I also forgot about that dude that used to do pros vs. joes now that guy's voice is crap too.

Cry Havoc
08-19-2009, 11:59 AM
How people can like/watch Jim Rome is something that will forever remain a mystery to me. He's the white chocolate Stephen A. Smith.

Fpoonsie
08-19-2009, 11:59 AM
I actually like Dan Patrick. I know I'm in the minority, though.

I absolutely DESPISE The Micheal Irvin show. Tha guy can catch balls, that's for sure, but he tends to only suck them once he starts monologuing.

Sausage
08-19-2009, 12:00 PM
I love Rome's show. My favorite radio show. You may hate the guy, but he even said himself: If everyone liked him, he's not doing his job.

As far as worst, Collin Cowherd's radio show is unlistenable to me. The guy just doesn't have a radio voice. I like his segment he does on Sportscenter on Sundays, and his show on ESPN2, but the radio gig has got to go.

IronMexican
Rome > you

Thunder Dan
yeah I forgot about Rome and his praising of his interviews..

Him interviewing Al Michales last year around the Super Bowl was enough for me, he basically beat off while taking to Al Michaels. Rome had the biggest boner in the world. He doesn't have a spine to ask questions people want to hear the answers to. He is Jay Leno. He asks questions just to fill an interview but nobody gives a shit about the answer. Nobody cares about what Al Michaels thinks about anything.

Maybe since I listen to Howard Stern every morning I get spoiled. I just it's just nice to hear someone ask LT about him doing coke and banging hookers rather than what he thought about the Super Bowl the Giants just won.

IronMexican
08-19-2009, 12:01 PM
I love Rome's show. My favorite radio show. You may hate the guy, but he even said himself: If everyone liked him, he's not doing his job.

As far as worst, Collin Cowherd's radio show is unlistenable to me. The guy just doesn't have a radio voice. I like his segment he does on Sportscenter on Sundays, and his show on ESPN2, but the radio gig has got to go.

No kidding. I hate the guys voice. It almost bugs me as much as Collinsworth's voice.

IronMexican
08-19-2009, 12:02 PM
How can you guys say he kisses up to everyone?

9HNgqQVHI_8

Thunder Dan
08-19-2009, 12:03 PM
How can you guys say he kisses up to everyone?

9HNgqQVHI_8

listen to anything he has done recently. He did that to get his name out there and now once he has made it he hides away from controversy. He is a pussy with no spine and is no different than those other lame fucks like Jay Leno.

Thunder Dan
08-19-2009, 12:11 PM
Scott Ferrall has a very annoying voice, but he isn't a pussy, he tells it like it is and he doesn't hide behind a character like Rome. He is a goof and his show is awesome. No pussy interviews with guys nobody gives a shit about. No stupid smack off.

wppxNZgjqgY

IronMexican
08-19-2009, 12:12 PM
listen to anything he has done recently. He did that to get his name out there and now once he has made it he hides away from controversy. He is a pussy with no spine and is no different than those other lame fucks like Jay Leno.

I love his spoof shit. You know that chick Suzyn Waldman from the Yankees game that did the whole, "ROGER CLEMENS IS BACK!" thing? They had one with Vick. I couldn't stop laughing. Here goes the clip to the chick.

Fdtn0Z4o8cM

Evil Angel
08-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Best local has to be The Grind by far as mentioned by rjv. Local ESPN is like a big lovefest/infomercial and Duel (Please take the Ritalin) drives me crazy. When he was on vacation it was tolerable, they talked more sports then. Then the other end of the dial Taylor is like some gang banger wannabe. Has some good takes, but come on man, your 35 or so.
Rome is funny if you take it for what it is.

Fpoonsie
08-19-2009, 12:18 PM
The BEST is a tie between BaD Radio and The Hardline on the ticket here in D/FW...with the Hardline POSSIBLY gettin a slight edge because of Snake.

dirk4mvp
08-19-2009, 12:34 PM
Rome is a beast. Most of the clones that call are pretty damn funny. If you ever listen to a Smackoff you'll be hooked.

I love his spoof shit. You know that chick Suzyn Waldman from the Yankees game that did the whole, "ROGER CLEMENS IS BACK!" thing? They had one with Vick. I couldn't stop laughing. Here goes the clip to the chick.

Fdtn0Z4o8cM

0nAxW-uqG-Q

IronMexican
08-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Charger fan? lol

He is right about more stuff happening on the road, though. My uncle was a couple seats away from a Charger fan who got stabbed by a Raider fan.

Death In June
08-19-2009, 12:41 PM
Rome is a bitch, and his idiot "clones" have a collective IQ just above legally retarded. People don't like him, not because he's controversial, or an asshole - as if he were ever smart enough for that. It's because he's just some boring douche from southern california that tries too hard.

florige
08-19-2009, 12:52 PM
I think I have to agree with the OP and go with Patrick being the worse. Unfortunately his show is on right when my shift starts (1am) and him and his sidekick "Paulie" are really unlistenable. The stuff they rant on and on about thats not even sports related is insane. The longest I listened to that show was last week when they had Lenny Dystra on and I was just amazed on how drunk that guy sound over the air.

Dr. Gonzo
08-19-2009, 12:58 PM
Scott Ferrall has a very annoying voice, but he isn't a pussy, he tells it like it is and he doesn't hide behind a character like Rome. He is a goof and his show is awesome. No pussy interviews with guys nobody gives a shit about. No stupid smack off.

wppxNZgjqgY

No joke. Scotty is the best. Not only does he do great interviews and has a ton of sports knowledge, the metal music in the background and him fucking around so much is extremely entertaining.

RGMCSE
08-19-2009, 01:03 PM
Him interviewing Al Michales last year around the Super Bowl was enough for me, he basically beat off while taking to Al Michaels. Rome had the biggest boner in the world. He doesn't have a spine to ask questions people want to hear the answers to. He is Jay Leno. He asks questions just to fill an interview but nobody gives a shit about the answer. Nobody cares about what Al Michaels thinks about anything.

Maybe since I listen to Howard Stern every morning I get spoiled. I just it's just nice to hear someone ask LT about him doing coke and banging hookers rather than what he thought about the Super Bowl the Giants just won.

Maybe you don't understand how big of a deal it is to interview a legend?? Al Michaels is kind of a big deal. If Rome came off as a bit soft it's because you don't go after Al hard that way. Rome is not for everyone but I've been listening for over 10 years and so have many many others.

Another one of my favorites is Dan Patrick. I guess I enjoy hearing a mix of sports and entertainment other than some lame douche that just wants to talk about topics that have been hammered by everyone else.

Locally, I can't stand the morning show with burns and everette. Andy sounds like a robot. The afternoon show on the zone suck ass too. The grind is my favorite local show. It took me a while to get used to them, but they actually make a lot sense. They mix up sports topics locally and nationally as well. Props to the Grind!

johnsmith
08-19-2009, 01:08 PM
I like Rome and Czabe.

And for all the Rome haters, I'm pretty sure he has set records for most viewers on an AM sports talk show............by a lot...........so you are in the minority.

lebomb
08-19-2009, 01:12 PM
The Dan Patrick show has got to be one of the worst, this guy is so full of himself and his sidekicks are pure crap, also the Jonathon Kincaide show on weekends on espn radio blows too, this guy just preaches to the listener on what we should think about his favorite players or teams..locally I dont like STSA with Taylor either...just my thoughts anyone else have any?

I agree with everything you just said. :toast

Purdo............Holmes.............just sayin..........purdo............purdo.........Holm es, holmes..........just sayin. :bang

Cry Havoc
08-19-2009, 01:19 PM
I like Rome and Czabe.

And for all the Rome haters, I'm pretty sure he has set records for most viewers on an AM sports talk show............by a lot...........so you are in the minority.

Ah, the old, "It's popular so it must be good" argument.

Britney Spears is cheering somewhere about being one of the best singers of all time.

samikeyp
08-19-2009, 01:30 PM
I have listened to Rome for more than 10 years now. I like him...his interviewing skills suck (I don't think taking everything the guest says and repeating it as your next question is that good) but I like him. Cowherd can be ok but he tends to whine and talks down to people if they don't see things the exact way he does.

redskinfan
08-19-2009, 01:30 PM
throw in Longhorn pipeline...yawn..

samikeyp
08-19-2009, 01:31 PM
longhorn pipeline?

redskinfan
08-19-2009, 01:38 PM
Paul Alexander and Wane McGarity have their own texas longhorn weekly show on espn radio san antonio..

samikeyp
08-19-2009, 01:42 PM
Paul Alexander and Wane McGarity have their own texas longhorn weekly show on espn radio san antonio..

Ahh...and I am guessing you are not a Longhorn fan. :)

manufan10
08-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Mike and Mike is one of my favorites. Dan Patrick annoys me to no end. I hate when he starts talking politics, stick to sports buddy. If we wanted to listen to a guy talk about politics we wouldn't be listening to a sports show. I agree with whoever said Colin Cowheard sounds whiny. I hate it when he talks down to some of his listeners.

TheGodfather
08-19-2009, 01:58 PM
- The Sports Grind is the single worst sports talk show I've ever heard in my life. It's almost painful how bad that show is.

- Mike Greenberg sucks. We get it, you're a Jewish metrosexual who likes the Jets.

- The Morning Drive would be better if not for Andy Everett's insufferable Tiger ballwashing.

- I miss the Czabe, but not Scott Linn interrupting him every five seconds.

- The old Mike and The Mad Dog on WFAN in New York was the gold standard.

EricB
08-19-2009, 02:25 PM
Cowherd and Mike and Mike are two of the biggest pieces of drek I've ever heard.

Thunder Dan
08-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Maybe you don't understand how big of a deal it is to interview a legend?? Al Michaels is kind of a big deal. If Rome came off as a bit soft it's because you don't go after Al hard that way. Rome is not for everyone but I've been listening for over 10 years and so have many many others.

Another one of my favorites is Dan Patrick. I guess I enjoy hearing a mix of sports and entertainment other than some lame douche that just wants to talk about topics that have been hammered by everyone else.

Locally, I can't stand the morning show with burns and everette. Andy sounds like a robot. The afternoon show on the zone suck ass too. The grind is my favorite local show. It took me a while to get used to them, but they actually make a lot sense. They mix up sports topics locally and nationally as well. Props to the Grind!

Al Michaels a legend? please.

He was on Howard Stern a couple years ago and was a good interview- Rome had him on and sounded like a tool asking a bunch of lame BS questions you could get anywhere. Thats the difference between a good interviewer and a guy like Rome; a good one will ask questions you can only get with him, a guy like Leno or Rome ask the same questions everyone else does. Why even ask him what it will be like to call the Super Bowl? do you think he is going to tell you that it really sucks and he would rather be drinking Jack Daniels after banging his wife? no. You already know what he is going to say- stop wasting everyones time by even having him on your shit show if you are going to bore everyone to death

Thunder Dan
08-19-2009, 03:02 PM
No joke. Scotty is the best. Not only does he do great interviews and has a ton of sports knowledge, the metal music in the background and him fucking around so much is extremely entertaining.

That's my name on PS3 if you didn't notice already

but anyway, Scott's show is the best on radio and most people have never heard it because it's on Sirius. But it's a great format

coyotes_geek
08-19-2009, 03:19 PM
I like Rome, but I could do without "the jungle". The clones were amusing for the first year or two I listened, but after a while it just gets old because you've heard it all. It's all the same. Loser A from City A calling in to call Loser B from City B a loser just isn't good radio to me.

In austin, the worst local sports talk show is all of them.

Jimcs50
08-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Hate Jim Rome, the man loves to hear the sound of his own voice.

Love Dan Patrick

johnsmith
08-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Ah, the old, "It's popular so it must be good" argument.

Britney Spears is cheering somewhere about being one of the best singers of all time.

Ah, the old "if it doesn't jibe with my personal opinion then it must be wrong" argument.

How very spurstalk politcal forum of you.

JoeChalupa
08-19-2009, 03:47 PM
I like Mike & Mike in the morning and still listen to Rome on occasion. Don't like Dan Patrick show so that gets my vote.
The others are all okay with their ups and downs.

howardcopy
08-19-2009, 06:20 PM
- The Sports Grind is the single worst sports talk show I've ever heard in my life. It's almost painful how bad that show is.

Man you are 100% about that. It's like the Billy Madison line goes...

"Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it."

That is how I fell every time I hear that show. The TICKET must be really hurting because they allow those fools to pay to be on the air.

Hey Ticket 760...get some class, get these guys off the air and get some real TALENT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZyuP43nMYM

objective
08-19-2009, 07:04 PM
There isn't a local show worth a damn. And I give them plenty of chances, but I can't make it through a segment with any of them. If there's a worst I'd guess it would be Taylor, but I'm not listening to the radio during all the timeslots enough to be sure. All of the hosts are completely lacking any factual knoweledge. All they have are takes or attitude, or more often bad attempts at humor. When the hosts have to come on sites like ST to ask basic questions about the Spurs why even listen? If I want info or educated opinions on the Spurs I visit Spurstalk.

I've posted before about getting sportstalk radio from other markets. I've even tried to buy downloads or pay for streaming setups with a station that's ignored me because they hate making money. Basically I've told them I'd pay much more than a subscription for Rome or Coast-to-Coast or any other subscribable show just to get the show I want, but I guess the radio business is so awesome in this economy they can turn me down. That's how bad local radio is, I've been reduced to offering up to $1000 just for a station to put up streams/single-downloads of a 3 hour show. If Taylor/JimBob/Duel/Thompsons/CoachAlexander/Burns whoever were even marginally informative/entertaining then I wouldn't be throwing money at some out of state station.

Rome has gone way downhill over the years but is still tolerable, just not that good anymore. The interviews are terrible, he asks and answers every generic question. Every single interview is like this:

Rome : "You had a big season last year. How big was that for your confidence going into this year?"

A: "Very big Jim."

Rome : "That was a big touchdown by X. How huge was that?"

A: "That was huge for us Jim."

Over and over.

Ever since the show went from 4 hours to 3 it's been rough. When it was 4 hours, he'd have maybe 1 or 2 boring interviews a show, 30 minutes of a show tops. Now that it's only 3 hours, the interviews have doubled at the minimum, fully 1/3rd of the shows are now his awful interviews. "How big was that?" "Your mother/father/uncle was a big part of your success weren't they?" "How huge was that?" "That was a big win for you wasn't it?" etc etc

And worse the time that's not interviews is just him repeating himself take after take. Back when the show was longer and he took calls, he could at least react to what the caller said. Usually it was just for comedy because if you listen to Rome you can tell he doesn't really watch sports, he just watches sportscenter and highlights. He's too busy with being a multi-millionaire to watch sports, and he'll filibuster about the horses he owns or the land he owns or his vacations or his resteraunts or meeting celebrities. But at least when he takes calls he can respond and it keeps him from repeating his takes ad nauseum. Such as it is now, the highlights of the show everyday are the emailers, they at least keep things listenable.

IronMexican
08-19-2009, 07:07 PM
:lol I agree about the whole interview thing with Rome. He's still a lot better than anyone out there, at least in my opinion.

mouse
08-19-2009, 07:12 PM
Paul Gecko and MickeyP end of story.................

jack sommerset
08-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Anything local from SA

kisses everyone's ass when they call in then talks shit when they hang up.

What is up with Rome ass kissing? It comes off so disingenuous. Over the top on how great the interview was after it is over. I would give the Show itself a "A" but because of that bullshit I give it a "B-"

redskinfan
08-19-2009, 08:34 PM
The Chris and Jason show is ok but hearing Jason talk reminds me of Frank Caliendo doing a John Madden impersonation..

SpursSecurity
08-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Paul Gecko and MickeyP end of story.................

Look at mouse jumping on the bandwagon.

I hate the sports grind, I think it sucks! Taylor is ok, but forces me to turn the channel to much...Duel and Minnix are ok.

But how about a show with more calls and interactive takes, why not focus on the community. make it more local and less mainstream.

B-Hath
08-19-2009, 11:18 PM
The BEST is a tie between BaD Radio and The Hardline on the ticket here in D/FW...with the Hardline POSSIBLY gettin a slight edge because of Snake.

I'm never up early enough to listen to Dunham & Miller. I do think the Hardline has the edge over BaD Radio, but I preferred BaD radio before Donovan replaced Jimmy Christopher. Jimmy barely had any on-air presence, but I liked Bob and Dan having the show center on them.

monosylab1k
08-19-2009, 11:19 PM
The Ticket in Dallas is by far the best sports talk station in America. The fact that they're the original "The Ticket" and seemingly hundreds of other stations around the US have copied their name, their logo, and tons of their segments & bits says something.

Conversely, a new sports station in Dallas called The Fan is probably the worst sports radio station in America.

monosylab1k
08-19-2009, 11:21 PM

:tu I like the Musers the best, but basically every weekday show on The Ticket is great. I thought The Hardline sucked for a while during their Greggo-less transition time, but they've gotten better here lately.

jack sommerset
08-20-2009, 12:06 AM
The ticket in Big D is the best. Only negative thing I have to say is Dan. But he has grown on me a bit the past couple of years.

holcs50
08-20-2009, 05:53 AM
I actually like the guy who fills in sometimes for mike and mike-erik kuselias. Hes funnier than greeny and I just like his takes more...greeny bugs the hell out of me sometimes...should be kuselias and golic. I don't like van pelt, he just thinks he's too badass sometimes with some of his rants.

txallstar
08-20-2009, 06:03 PM
rome is ok but the clone shit is getting old, d-bags sitting at home all day writing thier takes down on paper and creating stupid ass songs, some times funny but getting old really fast.

petros and money....thats money. chris and jason by far brutal, at least taylor has bits and takes

Pablo Escobar
08-20-2009, 06:45 PM
The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz I dont listen to it live just get the podcast cause its based out of miami but its the best sports radio out there

Taco
08-20-2009, 06:50 PM

wppxNZgjqgY

I remember Scotty!!
Remember John Renshaw?
How about Papa Joe?

Dro210
08-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Cowherd is just absolutely horrible, the guy is an idiot and a douche.

Dan Patrick's show is way too boring, also a douche.

Mike and Mike are good, I watch the show, but they're too soft for me.

I love SVP on Sportscenter, but I don't listen to his radio show. When I have, I just found his co-host too be too shitty. Havn't really given it much of a chance.

I love Rome. Hope he has a show til the day he dies.

I don't even listen to the local shit, cause it's unfortunately been horrible for years.

I bet LeBatard has a real entertaining radio show, I need to check that out

PeterBurns
08-20-2009, 08:56 PM
Was never a huge Czaban fan back in the day, but I listen to him in route to studio, and he's growing on me. Bruno is back at 9pm and he's good. Not quite there yet where he was with Siciliano.

Trying to listen to more of the Ticket in Dallas stuff. Listened to Musers while they were in town for training camp.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
08-20-2009, 10:32 PM
worst is Petros and Money for me

best is JT and Looney

KSeal
08-20-2009, 10:54 PM
The Herd is by far the worst for me.

redskinfan
08-20-2009, 10:54 PM
Petros and Money show is a joke, as far as Czaben he is a Redskins fan as well so I am partial to his show plus he is not afraid to be critical of his team.

SpursSecurity
08-20-2009, 11:27 PM
Was never a huge Czaban fan back in the day, but I listen to him in route to studio, and he's growing on me. Bruno is back at 9pm and he's good. Not quite there yet where he was with Siciliano.

Trying to listen to more of the Ticket in Dallas stuff. Listened to Musers while they were in town for training camp.

Hey Peter, seriously, when are you guys going to bring Greco to the Ticket. The guy hit a homerun when you were on vacation. He kept up with the golf talk, that seems to take over the show each week, and you know as well as I do the guy knows his baseball, football, and basketball.

I've sent e-mails to Bolger but that guy never e-mails back. You all have the Sports Grind which SUCKS, and yes I know they pay for their time, but come on man. Make a stand, you've seen here, ESPN is starting to take over the local market, lets get with the program.

just my 2 cents though.

good to see you checking in.

Fpoonsie
08-21-2009, 03:02 AM
:tu I like the Musers the best, but basically every weekday show on The Ticket is great. I thought The Hardline sucked for a while during their Greggo-less transition time, but they've gotten better here lately.

Like B-Hath, I'm simply never up early enough to listen to the Musers. I've heard a few of their bits on the Top 10 (or occasionally when I have a dentist appt), and have laughed my ass off each time. The segment where they discussed which races their sexually attracted to had me ROLLING.

howardcopy
08-21-2009, 07:19 AM
Hey Peter, seriously, when are you guys going to bring Greco to the Ticket. The guy hit a homerun when you were on vacation. He kept up with the golf talk, that seems to take over the show each week, and you know as well as I do the guy knows his baseball, football, and basketball.

I've sent e-mails to Bolger but that guy never e-mails back. You all have the Sports Grind which SUCKS, and yes I know they pay for their time, but come on man. Make a stand, you've seen here, ESPN is starting to take over the local market, lets get with the program.

just my 2 cents though.

+1 :ihit

LnGrrrR
08-21-2009, 08:14 AM
Jim Rome is unlistenable, he gets lost in his own shtick, kisses everyone's ass when they call in then talks shit when they hang up. He is just lame

Ferrall on Howard101 on Sirius is the best....nobody else is even close.

I like Rome, but I hate his interviews, and his belief in his own awesome interviewing ability. I don't think I've ever heard him ask a challenging question.

LnGrrrR
08-21-2009, 08:21 AM
The Herd would be much better if Colin ever admitted when he was wrong.

Soul_Patch
08-21-2009, 08:57 AM
Rome is terrible. It was good for about the first week i ever heard it, but the fact is its the same shit over and over and over and over...terrible interviews, repetitive BS schtick, terrible interviews...The only thing that keeps that remotely interesting is the emailers, which rarely get any time anymore.

I actually dont mind Burns and Everett in the morning, although i definately get bored with the Tiger adoration, and the hours of golf talk...no one really cares about your "lunch bets" guys, at least cut it back about 3/4 and it would be tolerable.

Dan Patrick is ok, just bland i guess...

i suppose i dont really have a favorite, but i enjoy STSA with Taylor, i guess im the only one? their 'good ol boy' schtick is entertaining.

objective
08-21-2009, 02:49 PM
I thought I'd give Bruno a try. My memory of his morning show with Siciliano was that it was a weaker Rome knock-off with only the emailers/faxers being funny and a lot of uninteresting blather between the two.

So to try the current Bruno show, I downloaded the mp3s of his site. I decided to try a real news day, June 23rd, the day Jefferson was traded to the Spurs. Now I wasn't expecting any great Spurs-Bucks talk, but some kind of sports insight or at least the unthinking man's response : a 'take'.

The RJ story barely had any mention. It was briefly brought up in the first hour as a one sentence news story, and Bruno asked one of the many people working on his show what he thought about it, and the other guy had a generic response of liking it. Then Bruno had a sentence about the Bucks dropping salary.

In the second hour it only came up when Bruno was talking to a drunk, supposedly female regular caller from Wisconson and asked her what she thought about it, and she didn't even know who RJ was.

That was it. A reasonably large sports news story. And Bruno himself didn't have anything to say.

He did have plenty of thoughts and devoted time to Octomoms and the Jon and Kate + 8, and a pinball hall of fame, and 10 minutes devoted to a contest on his site, plus ruminations on name brand televisions, transformers, public school teachers, a variety of other reality tv shows, and pretend teasing of an intern. Oh, and ancient sounddrops. At least Rome will create new ones from time to time. But the sound effect of an opening beer bottle and pouring it into a glass, with Tony making "oh yeah!" noises and his callers telling him that he's "so crazy!". Holy crap!

I did try to listen to some of the June 24th show, a pre-draft show, but didn't really get to far into it after Bruno said that he didn't even know who any of the players were when trying to discuss even the lottery picks.

Guess I have to try even harder now to find good sports talk from around the country because i still can't get it locally, either produced locally or syndicated from national shows.

Strike
08-21-2009, 02:53 PM
The Herd is by far the worst for me.

He was much much better when he was in Portland. Now he's a giant douche.

Anyone care to photoshop this with Herd's head and a microphone?
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x234/ctbob/douche.jpg

SpursSecurity
08-22-2009, 09:59 AM

just my 2 cents though.

This is what I'm talking about, NO answers from the guys. That is why most here have been converting to ESPN. It just seems like the Ticket doesn't listen to those that are listening to that station. Oh well

Is it me?

PeterBurns
08-22-2009, 01:24 PM
I know our PD has been sidelined with some health issues lately, so he's getting up back up to speed. You've got to realize that Bolger gets a ton of emails each day, and tons of tapes/auditions...etc.

I doubt heavily that people are converting to ESPN because they feel like Bolger isn't responding. If they do, its because they like a show better. Radio ratings will be more accurate when the new measurement period starts next month.

Because SA isn't a huge sports town, you are ever going to have a ratings monster like you see in other major cities. You could bring the Ticket guys from Dallas, or whomever you thought was the top hosts here to SA and the ratings wouldn't jump that much.

Greco is great, that's why I try to get him included as much as possible. If it was up to me I would have a lot more local shows and have them all 2 hours long. That way they never have to "fill" time, they could come in with hot sports opinions.

I don't envy C&D having to a 4 hour show everyday. Taylor as well for 3 hours.

I'm doing some stuff to get more people involved. Priest Holmes hosted with me a few times and he's good, as is Bruce Bowen.

Priest may be doing Friday's show during football season with me.
I'm talking with Bruce on doing a few shows next week as well.

Greco and I have talked about an idea and it's in the works.

Always good feedback here. Constructive criticism is always good. I know that all the hosts read this board, although few admit it.

Hosts are always looking to improve their show. When you see a comment of "This guy is a douche, and my ear bleed when he ****....etc" We laugh. It makes the commenter look like a internet troll tough guy.

What's better is when people say, I don't prefer (SHOW X) because they tend to bring up too much ???, and they do too many interviews, or calls...etc. That's the best way to shape the shows.

“bright and shiny”
08-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Why would Priest Holmes or Bruce Bowen want to do local San Antonio radio?
unless they are just trying to get as mic time as possible so they can some day get a real radio gig in a larger market? And if that is the case then we will never get to hear their honest opinions,after all they will only say what they think they need to say to look good, that way they can get that other better paying job they are auditioning for in the fist place.

Death In June
08-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Always good feedback here. Constructive criticism is always good. I know that all the hosts read this board, although few admit it.

Hosts are always looking to improve their show. When you see a comment of "This guy is a douche, and my ear bleed when he ****....etc" We laugh. It makes the commenter look like a internet troll tough guy.

What's better is when people say, I don't prefer (SHOW X) because they tend to bring up too much ???, and they do too many interviews, or calls...etc. That's the best way to shape the shows.Sometimes douche is the most accurate descriptor. Most of these shows are personality driven, and there's not a whole lot of constructive criticism for an irritating personality. Placating a vocal minority makes them seem disingenuous, so it's a lose-lose for the show. They either like you or they don't.

samikeyp
08-22-2009, 03:25 PM
I know our PD has been sidelined with some health issues lately, so he's getting up back up to speed. You've got to realize that Bolger gets a ton of emails each day, and tons of tapes/auditions...etc.

I doubt heavily that people are converting to ESPN because they feel like Bolger isn't responding. If they do, its because they like a show better. Radio ratings will be more accurate when the new measurement period starts next month.

Because SA isn't a huge sports town, you are ever going to have a ratings monster like you see in other major cities. You could bring the Ticket guys from Dallas, or whomever you thought was the top hosts here to SA and the ratings wouldn't jump that much.

Greco is great, that's why I try to get him included as much as possible. If it was up to me I would have a lot more local shows and have them all 2 hours long. That way they never have to "fill" time, they could come in with hot sports opinions.

I don't envy C&D having to a 4 hour show everyday. Taylor as well for 3 hours.

I'm doing some stuff to get more people involved. Priest Holmes hosted with me a few times and he's good, as is Bruce Bowen.

Priest may be doing Friday's show during football season with me.
I'm talking with Bruce on doing a few shows next week as well.

What's better is when people say, I don't prefer (SHOW X) because they tend to bring up too much ???, and they do too many interviews, or calls...etc. That's the best way to shape the shows.

I think you could kick ass on a 4 hour show. When I did mine, the two hours went by wayy too fast. :)

Oh PB, what we talked about...should be up and running this week. With the layoff and apartment hunt, I have been crazy busy but now I have time.

and Tracy still owes me my tape. :)

08-22-2009, 03:40 PM
we will never get to hear their honest opinions,after all they will only say what they think they need to say to look good,

Like MikeyP did?

Alex Jones
08-22-2009, 03:44 PM
samikeyp (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=75) That link at the bottom of your sig sends me to a place with many sound clips which one is yours?

SpursSecurity
08-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Peter,

Appreciate you stepping in here and clearing that up. I'm a firm believer that honest opinions is the way to go.

It's good to see the Ticket going after people that are good for San Antonio. Priest and Bruce would be great, getting Greco in would rock, and now you start to put together a great lineup. To be honest I wish the morning show was 3-hours.

But, I think I speak for most in here, only because they've posted it to, can we get off the GOLF talk every day. We all know you two love it, but most people listening don't.

Just my 2 cents

samikeyp
08-22-2009, 04:50 PM
samikeyp (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=75) That link at the bottom of your sig sends me to a place with many sound clips which one is yours?

the ones marked "Peter for a Day winner".

Alex Jones
08-22-2009, 05:30 PM
But almost all those links have Peter Burns on the show where is the one of just you and Andy?

howardcopy
08-22-2009, 06:14 PM

Hey Peter can you fill us in on this man? What are you guys talking about. I think you two would gel great together. Both have great takes, know your stuff, and from what i've heard on the radio you two seem to work pretty well together.

XTRA -- we want the scoop NOW man.

PaulGreco
08-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Hey Howard,

Appreciate the comments man. I'm currently in Baltimore and hopefully once I get back in town later next week I can sit down with Peter so we can get a plan in place.

Thanks to all who have left great comments, really do appreciate it.

--PG

SpursSecurity
08-24-2009, 01:24 AM
Hey that is great news Paul. Hopefully you and Burns can bring some respectability to the Ticket. Can't wait till you guys release the name, any ideas what you guys are going to do?

Is it something you can share?

Anyway, glad to see the Ticket getting some new talent.