PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Notebook: Good News About Devin

Kori Ellis
04-10-2005, 02:11 AM
Spurs notebook: Duncan will need time to get back in the groove
Web Posted: 04/10/2005 12:00 AM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA041005.9C.BKNspurs.duncan.1c15774b1.html

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

LOS ANGELES — Three weeks after Tim Duncan sprained his right ankle in Detroit, the Spurs know this much about his future: If and when he returns, they don't expect him — or the team — to immediately look like a championship contender.

"When people come back, it doesn't matter how good a player they are, you don't just step back and do the things you used to do," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "It takes a little bit of time. If we can get a couple of games before the playoffs, it would be great.

"I just don't know whether we will or not."

Duncan is running and participating in drills that have him pivoting on his right foot. The Spurs will continue to gradually increase his workload provided he continues to feel OK.

Considering Duncan has sprained the same ankle three times this season, the Spurs know he almost certainly won't be 100 percent healthy when he does return.

"He's going to need the summer to heal, that's for sure," Popovich said.

Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy has had teams in similar positions as the Spurs, where they're trying to work an important player back into the rotation shortly before the playoffs.

"If you can get him back and he plays wells in a couple games, (the player's absence) becomes potentially a positive because other guys have gotten more experience," Dunleavy said. "And, from that sense, he's also got his legs about him."

No shot: Devin Brown's back has shown enough improvement that the team's medical staff has held off giving him a third steroid injection.

Brown, who didn't accompany the team on its trip, has started running in a straight line.

A little rest for the weary: Popovich began Saturday's game planning to give Manu Ginobili his full complement of minutes, then rest him as needed tonight against Golden State.

The Spurs are playing six games in eight days, and Popovich doesn't want to burn out Ginobili before the playoffs. Though Ginobili won't use fatigue as an excuse, his play has suffered recently in the second game of back-to-backs.

In Thursday's loss to Dallas, Ginobili missed 8 of 9 shots and all four of his free throws. Popovich limited his minutes to 17.

"We'll just see how he's feeling," Popovich said.

The Spurs aren't nearly as worried about resting Tony Parker.

"He's a young kid," Popovich said of Parker, who turns 23 next month. "He needs to play as much as he can play and be in great shape. So, when the playoffs come, if we want him to play 40 or 43 minutes, he's able to do it."

Up and coming: Shaun Livingston, the Clippers' 19-year-old rookie point guard, has played in only 25 games, but Dunleavy likes what he's seen.

Livingston, taken with the fourth overall pick out of Peoria Central (Ill.) High, missed 39 games with a dislocated right kneecap. Eight days after he returned, he had to go back on the injured list after tearing cartilage in his right shoulder.

"I saw enough of him that even if he hadn't come back, I still would have thought he has a chance to be special," Dunleavy said.

Kori Ellis
04-10-2005, 02:15 AM
The fact that they felt he didn't need the shot leads me to believe he'll be on the playoff roster.

ggoose25
04-10-2005, 02:17 AM
Brown, who didn't accompany the team on its trip, has started running in a straight line.

Jeez, playing full speed in an NBA game is a lot more diffiicult than running in a straight line on a sore back. Maybe its best for him to rest it and come back strong next season

ggoose25
04-10-2005, 02:18 AM
Just curious, when drob had his back tighten up how long did it take him to play after a steriod shot? I get the feeling like it was only a week or two.

Kori Ellis
04-10-2005, 02:18 AM
It's a good start; at least he's progressing. The playoffs don't begin for another two weeks.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-10-2005, 03:09 AM
I don't like the idea of a hobbling Devin (backs are easy to tweak) taking up a roster spot.

He's good when healthy, but damn - he's what 23, 24 and having back problems :(

Kori Ellis
04-10-2005, 03:30 AM
He's 26 but who's counting. :)

Drachen
04-10-2005, 03:58 AM
Just curious, when drob had his back tighten up how long did it take him to play after a steriod shot? I get the feeling like it was only a week or two.

Different injury, Devin doesnt have part of his spinal cord broken off and floating around in his back.

Think of it this way, you stub your toe, it hurts bad, real bad then goes away. Now think of this you stub your toe on a glass bottle, that you kick into a wall as you stub it, a shard of glass slides right on into said toe. It hurts bad, real bad, then continues to hurt due to the glass.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-10-2005, 04:10 AM
I knew I could count on you to correct my laziness in looking up his DOB Kori :)

Point being, he needs to be resting his back.

Kori Ellis
04-10-2005, 04:12 AM
Point being, he needs to be resting his back.

He's been pain free for over a week. Two weeks from now, he'll probably be totally fine.

MannyIsGod
04-10-2005, 11:45 AM
This is not really an injury you can tweak, if I understand it correctly.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-10-2005, 01:05 PM
Manny, if I recall correctly what got Devin here is him coming down from jumping wrong during a pre-game warmup.