View Full Version : Rasho expected to be out at least until playoffs start

Kori Ellis
04-10-2005, 02:14 AM
:(

Spurs capture thriller in 2 OTs
Web Posted: 04/10/2005 01:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA041005.1C.BKNspurs.clippers.gamer.1c1f359c3.ht ml

LOS ANGELES – With one more ankle having given way and their season poised to take another turn for the worse as Sunday morning closed hard on Saturday night, the Spurs put the ball in the hands of Manu Ginobili and let him go to work.

When that wasn’t enough, they turned to Big Shot Bob.

And Big Block Bob.

Robert Horry, whose late-game heroics have made him a favorite of the locals here, buried a 3-pointer with 22.2 seconds left then stuffed Mikki Moore at the rim just before the final buzzer as the Spurs outlasted the Los Angeles Clippers 125-124 in double overtime at Staples Center.

“We all know he can hit those kind of shots, but the defensive play he made was unbelievable,” Ginobili said. “He gave us the win.”

Horry had help. Ginobili scored 40 points in a thrilling performance that brought back memories of his 48-point effort against Phoenix on Jan. 21. Twenty-five of his points came after the third quarter, including a remarkable turn-and-shoot 3-pointer he banked in at the shot-clock buzzer late in regulation.

Tony Parker added 27 points and nine assists. Tony Massenburg scored 14 points in 32 minutes in relief of Rasho Nesterovic, who left near the end of the third quarter with a sprained left ankle.

The victory moved the Spurs within a game of the Suns and the Western Conference’s top playoff seed. The Spurs need any combination of two victories or two losses by Dallas to secure the Southwest Division title and the No. 2 seed.

If the Spurs can pull themselves out of bed in time for tonight’s game against Golden State, it will be a wonder. Parker and Ginobili played 53 and 50 minutes, respectively, both career highs.

The Spurs trailed by 16 points in the first half, rallied to tie the game, fell behind by nine early in the fourth quarter then rallied again.

Still, it all would have been for naught had Horry not stepped into one more 3-pointer. Trailing 124-122, Parker drove into the lane only to have his layup attempt roll off the rim. Massenburg’s tip also bounced off and the rebound came out to Brent Barry, who turned and flipped the ball to Horry.

Without a moment hesitation, Horry caught the pass and drilled the 3-pointer – a shot that was similar to the game-winner he buried for the Lakers to beat Sacramento in Game 4 of the 2002 Western Conference finals.

“Unlike the shot against Sacramento, this ball didn’t just bounce out to me,” Horry said. “This time Brent had the chance to give me a pass and it felt good. All I had to do was set my feet and shoot it.”

Moore had a point-blank chance to win the game with three seconds left, but Horry snuffed out his shot.

Said Ginobili: “He came out of nowhere.”

Tim Duncan missed his 10th consecutive game, though he might get company on the sidelines tonight. Nesterovic sprained his left ankle late in third quarter while trying to track down a loose ball. He limped to the locker room and didn’t return.

Nesterovic sprained the same ankle in January and spent six games on the injured list. His latest sprain is expected to sideline him at least until the playoffs.

Ginobili gave the Spurs an opportunity to win in regulation when he drove for a three-point play with 15.3 seconds left. But Chris Kaman tied the game on a layup with seven seconds left and Parker and Horry missed shortly before the buzzer to force overtime.

Ginobili also gave the Spurs a 116-114 lead with 30.5 seconds left in overtime after Clippers rookie point guard Shaun Livingston fouled him in the right corner on a 3-point attempt. After Livingston tied the game on a drive, Ginobili missed just before the buzzer and both teams went back to work for another five minutes.

Kaman tossed in a 15-foot hook at the shot-clock buzzer to give the Clippers a 122-119 lead, but Massenburg tied the game on a three-point play. Livingston drove for a layup to give the Clippers a 124-122 lead with 32.4 seconds left.

The Spurs trailed by as many as 16 points in the first half before Parker led them back. He scored 16 points in the second quarter, while missing only one of his seven shots.

Ginobili cut through the lane and tossed in a finger roll at the halftime buzzer to narrow the Clippers’ lead to 53-46. The Spurs’ surge continued into the second half. Ginobili made a 3-pointer to put them up 61-59 then clinched his fists and screamed.

After suffering their most lopsided loss in almost four years, a 104-68 setback in Dallas, Parker said he was eager to see how the team would react.

They reacted, just not quickly enough for coach Gregg Popovich.

Less than two minutes into the game, Popovich called a 20-second timeout and summoned the entire team onto the floor. He chewed on the players then shooed them on their way.

Nesterovic was so inspired he dunked -- perhaps, for the first time this season.

The Clippers proved equally spirited and even more accurate. They scored 15 unanswered points in the first quarter. With 9:12 remaining in the opening half, Los Angeles’ lead had grown to 38-22.

The Spurs, however, had plenty of time to come back. And then come back again. And again.

“We put all our heart into this one,” Ginobili said. “It was great to see.”

T Park
04-10-2005, 02:15 AM
fan fucking tastic.

ChumpDumper
04-10-2005, 02:16 AM
Just when he hit a baseline jumper....

timvp
04-10-2005, 02:16 AM
Damn, hopefully Rasho can get back before the playoffs. It looked bad, but not Tim Duncan bad.

:depressed

T Park
04-10-2005, 02:17 AM
Nesterovic was so inspired he dunked -- perhaps, for the first time this season

ha ha ha ha.

Keep to writing facts about the game instead of your childish opinions you four eyed dumbass.

T Park
04-10-2005, 02:17 AM
if they say out till the playoffs, its prob then.

Too bad, Rasho has been playing great lately.

especially on the offensive end tonight, very agressive, and loved the way his shot looked.

timvp
04-10-2005, 02:19 AM
The Spurs really need to find a new way to tape ankles are something. How many sprains can one team have?

Jimcs50
Rasho needed the rest after having to play so much w/o TD

He is not one that needs to play a lot to get his game ready for the playoffs

He will be fine

It is good that we get to see Nazr and Marks more now and Pop can evaluate which one can help the most come playoffs.

Mass and Horry will have to play like they did tonight.

timvp
Time to start Nazr.

Let's see what he got.

Kori Ellis
04-10-2005, 02:20 AM
The Spurs really need to find a new way to tape ankles are something. How many sprains can one team have?

They should take lessons from Nazr. He tapes his ankles so much it's almost like a thin cast.

T Park
04-10-2005, 02:20 AM
horry prob wont play at all tonight.

Itll all be Nazr and Marks.

T Park
04-10-2005, 02:21 AM
duncan's ankles better rsemble mummy's ankles after this time.

If he doesnt want it, then id threaten not to play him.

Not wanting different shoes is one thing, not wanting tape is stupid.

baseline bum
04-10-2005, 02:22 AM
Not having Rasho and facing Houston in the first round would suck.

T Park
04-10-2005, 02:24 AM
Wow, guess everyone realized Rasho was a good center after all.

Exactly Bum, not having him for Houston would be killer, BUT, thats two weeks.

It looked like a grade 1 to 2.

Who knows, but 2 weeks should be more than enough for him.

Whats great, hes like Bowen and in there for his defense.

His offense isnt greatly needed.

But, his jump shot has looked good lately and hes been playing great.

Typical, same thing back in January against Phoenix.

Jimcs50
04-10-2005, 02:24 AM
the problem with making the ankles so stiff with tape is, it can lead to knee damage because the knee will twist more when the ankle can not.

Jimcs50
04-10-2005, 02:25 AM
we are not going to play Houston in rd 1

We will play Sacto

TheWriter
04-10-2005, 02:29 AM
ha ha ha ha.

Keep to writing facts about the game instead of your childish opinions you four eyed dumbass.

You go 2nd grade on Ludden scolding him about his childish remark?

:lol

timvp
04-10-2005, 02:31 AM
Wow, guess everyone realized Rasho was a good center after all.

Rasho has been playing well since the All-Star break. Hopefully he'll be back before the playoffs.

Believe.

Kori Ellis
04-10-2005, 02:33 AM
It's two full weeks before Round 1 starts. I believe he'll be ready to go. This one didn't as bad as when he did it earlier in the season.

Das Texan
04-10-2005, 02:41 AM
damn.

better to get all the injuries out of the way now.

TDfan2007
04-10-2005, 02:55 AM
If God is a Spurs fan he sure has a funny way of showing it. This is starting to get rediculous.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-10-2005, 03:18 AM
It's time for the team to embrace Nazr, and see what he can do.

This sucks, Rasho's been playing steady for a good two months now.

grjr
04-10-2005, 03:50 AM
It's two full weeks before Round 1 starts. I believe he'll be ready to go. This one didn't as bad as when he did it earlier in the season.

That was a freaky way to twist an ankle. At least he wasn't coming down from a jump so it shouldn't be as bad.

SLOVENIAN 8
04-10-2005, 04:25 AM
That sux!!! :pctoss

i must get this game :depressed

RobinsontoDuncan
04-10-2005, 07:32 AM
Hopefully with Duncan coming back soon, we will only be without both Rasho and Duncan for a few games?

BronxCowboy
04-10-2005, 07:42 AM
Parker and Ginobili played 53 and 50 minutes, respectively, both career highs.

:wow Tonight is going to be killer for those guys.

cherylsteele
04-10-2005, 08:13 AM
I don't expect to win tonight, I think Pop might try something off the deep end. I would.....I would start game like this.

Start Big Dog GRob.....get him into our team concept and comfortable with his teammates.....play him pretty big minutes tonight so he can get as much rust off as possible.....if he can get even somewhat close to where he was last year he could be a huge player in the playoffs.....now is the time to wrok him into the rotation.

Start Nazr.....he has not played as well as people hoped give him some extra playing time and try to boost his game and self-esteem.

Start Beno with Wilks behind him....Beno has been struggling lately help get back his shot and rhythm.

Limit Horry's minutes as much as possible...save his energy for the playoffs.

Limit Manu time as well.......play Barry starter's minutes.

Activate LJ3 let's see what he can do.

LakerGod
04-10-2005, 12:58 PM

Swept in the first round by Denver...

LMAO! :lol

SLOVENIAN 8
04-10-2005, 01:04 PM
Go eats your LA http://www.lalatimes.com/Mock%20Ads/ad-niagra.jpg and STFU!! :lol

cherylsteele
04-10-2005, 01:04 PM

You remind me of a poster named "Bear" on the old WOAI FBZ.....who happened to turn out to be a moderator.....and was always wrong.

angel_luv
04-10-2005, 01:08 PM
Oh poor Rasho! I think I need to be more diligent about preventive prayer. This is getting ridiculous.

Rah's sprain look like it hurt but I have faith he'll be better than new in no time.
( Please God!)

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-10-2005, 01:10 PM

Kori, can you please use the ban stick? Just this once...

angel_luv
04-10-2005, 01:38 PM
[QUOTE=Kori Ellis]:(

Less than two minutes into the game, Popovich called a 20-second timeout and summoned the entire team onto the floor. He chewed on the players then shooed them on their way.

Nesterovic was so inspired he dunked -- perhaps, for the first time this season.
QUOTE]

Hehehehe! That's awesome! Classic even!

ALVAREZ6
04-10-2005, 01:40 PM

Oh wait, what place are the purple and piss in???

angel_luv
04-10-2005, 01:43 PM
Hi Alvie! Good L.A. Loser point! I had the same thought but would never have thought to put it so " eloquently" =)

Experiment2100
04-10-2005, 01:50 PM
Im the article Ludden has in the Express News, he does not have that line of Rasho expected to be out for the rest of the season.

goliath
04-10-2005, 03:23 PM

LMAO!

Lakers swept in the first round by......
Who are the Lakers playing in the first round again?

Dont worry LakerGod..Ill be sure to think of you at half time of the Spurs Western Conference Finals game when they televise the lottery at half time.

spurster
04-10-2005, 03:30 PM
That sucks. The Spurs are going to have a combo of overworked and rusty players to start the playoffs.

ggoose25
04-10-2005, 03:31 PM
Im the article Ludden has in the Express News, he does not have that line of Rasho expected to be out for the rest of the season.

Nesterovic sprained the same ankle in January and spent six games on the injured list. His latest sprain is expected to sideline him at least until the playoffs.

Just the rest of the regular season, not the WHOLE season including playoffs

Gtown
04-10-2005, 03:41 PM
my dvr ran out of space, not time, i always extend for the chance of ot, but it ended with 30 seconds left in regulation. weak