PDA

View Full Version : Presidents who didn't keep campaign promises

George Gervin's Afro
08-19-2009, 03:16 PM
In studying party platforms in presidential elections from 1944 to 1976, Pomper found that presidents converted about 70 percent of their party's promises into policy. He said that track record is "pretty good," considering that about half of U.S. marriages end in divorce--a broken vow.

Jeff Fishel, a professor emeritus of government at American University, reached a similar conclusion in his study of presidential performance, published in the 1985 book Presidents & Promises. Fishel tracked campaign pledges from John F. Kennedy through Ronald Reagan and determined that presidents followed through about 66 percent of the time. He gave credit for effort, even when it didn't translate into signed legislation, as well as for actual achievements. Both Fishel and Pomper distinguish between specific proposals and rhetorical promises, such as "I will uphold American values," which can't be judged objectively.

But,but,but Obama didn't keep his promises..you losers are a joke..:lmao

Wild Cobra
08-19-2009, 03:20 PM
The losers are those who thought his promises were achievable.

Wild Cobra
08-19-2009, 03:25 PM
Why are you afraid to post your source?

COVER STORY
Promises to Keep
If history is any guide, the next president will attempt to follow through on the vast majority of pledges made on the campaign trail.

by Ashley Johnson

Sat. Jul 19, 2008
(http://www.nationaljournal.com/njmagazine/cs_20080719_4480.php)

rjv
08-19-2009, 03:25 PM
what i still can not understand is all the people who really believe that the platforms of the presidents over the past 45 years or so have really been that varied from president to president. differences in marginal issues hardly constitute a politics of dichotomy.

coyotes_geek
08-19-2009, 03:26 PM
what i still can not understand is all the people who really believe that the platforms of the presidents over the past 45 years or so have really been that varied from president to president. differences in marginal issues hardly constitute a politics of dichotomy.

Exactly. I'm pretty sure we can already figure out what the campaign promises are going to be in 2012.

George Gervin's Afro
08-19-2009, 03:33 PM
Why are you afraid to post your source?

COVER STORY
Promises to Keep
If history is any guide, the next president will attempt to follow through on the vast majority of pledges made on the campaign trail.

by Ashley Johnson

Sat. Jul 19, 2008
(http://www.nationaljournal.com/njmagazine/cs_20080719_4480.php)

Scared? Not even close. I wanted to prove AGAIN what hypocrites you guys are. It's very easy to do..

johnsmith
08-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Why is it that I constantly read liberals touting that "since your guy did it, then our guy should too"?

It's very symbolic of how fucking stupid the two party system is as well as how hypocritical all these fuckers are.

Wild Cobra
08-19-2009, 03:37 PM
Scared? Not even close. I wanted to prove AGAIN what hypocrites you guys are. It's very easy to do..
There's no hypocrisy on my part. How many times have I stated the president has no power to fulfill such promises? He has to get congress to act on nearly everything he wants before he can sign it into law. The more promises a candidate makes, the more he sets himself up for being known by his failures. President Obama will fall very hard!

OK maybe not scared, why are you too lazy to link your source?

I know. You didn't search for the originating source, but used one of the several blogs I found looking for the source.

George Gervin's Afro
08-19-2009, 03:39 PM
There's no hypocrisy on my part. How many times have I stated the president has no power to fulfill such promises? He has to get congress to act on nearly everything he wants before he can sign it into law. The more promises a candidate makes, the more he sets himself up for being known by his failures. President Obama will fall very hard!

OK maybe not scared, why are you too lazy to link your source?

I know. You didn't search for the originating source, but used one of the several blogs I found looking for the source.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/njmagazine/cs_20080719_4480.php

I don't need blogs..

jack sommerset
08-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Dumbass, there is a difference between a campaign promise and a lie. Look it up loser.

George Gervin's Afro
08-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Dumbass, there is a difference between a campaign promise and a lie. Look it up loser.

oh it's 'obama's the biggest liar in my 37 yrs sommerset'.... so now your ok with obama not living up to campaign promises. still waiting for all of those 'lies' jack..

johnsmith
08-19-2009, 03:52 PM
So what you're saying is that you're cool with broken campaign promises because other Presidents did it too?

johnsmith
08-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Obama failed on his promise to deliver his birth certificate. We had to go to Kenya to get it. White power.

You're racist.

George Gervin's Afro
08-19-2009, 03:55 PM
So what you're saying is that you're cool with broken campaign promises because other Presidents did it too?

I know that politicians stretch the truth. I don't criticize one side for doing it and remain silent when the other side does it as well. I know john, you actually believe everything that comes out of someone's mouth during a campaign..

Wild Cobra
08-19-2009, 03:56 PM
http://www.nationaljournal.com/njmagazine/cs_20080719_4480.php

I don't need blogs..
No, you just copied my link. Otherwise, why did you stop with the 1944 to 1976 data when the article continued on to more recent times?

Which blog did you use?

johnsmith
08-19-2009, 03:57 PM
I know that politicians stretch the truth. I don't criticize one side for doing it and remain silent when the other side does it as well. I know john, you actually believe everything that comes out of someone's mouth during a campaign..

I'm not claiming to believe or not believe anything, I'm just pointing out how often you specifically point out that since one side did it, then your side should too.

You are a good example of what's wrong with our government in general.

George Gervin's Afro
08-19-2009, 04:00 PM
No, you just copied my link. Otherwise, why did you stop with the 1944 to 1976 data when the article continued on to more recent times?

Which blog did you use?

I don't need blogs. try googling the subject you may be surprised it's there.. I know it's a shocking coincedence!

SonOfAGun
08-19-2009, 04:02 PM

lol good try, but it was Obama and his supporters who told the rest of us he was a different politician.

He ran on "not of Washington".

He failed.

Actually, he didn't fail. Barack Obama. The politician just went politician. It was those who believed he was anything special that failed.

George Gervin's Afro
08-19-2009, 04:05 PM
I'm not claiming to believe or not believe anything, I'm just pointing out how often you specifically point out that since one side did it, then your side should too.

You are a good example of what's wrong with our government in general.

Thanks kettle

sincerely

black

George Gervin's Afro
08-19-2009, 04:06 PM
lol good try, but it was Obama and his supporters who told the rest of us he was a different politician.

He ran on "not of Washington".

He failed.

3 1/2 more years. you fail..:lmao

jack sommerset
08-19-2009, 04:12 PM
oh it's 'obama's the biggest liar in my 37 yrs sommerset'.... so now your ok with obama not living up to campaign promises. still waiting for all of those 'lies' jack..

I'll give you yet another one. Concentrate this time. Count the times he says "on CSPAN". Try your best. Before you hit play go clean out ur ears. Ask yourself after watching is this a campaign promise or a lie. Keep in mind he has been president 7 months.Campaign is over.

h3JKDTBOYKg

johnsmith
08-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Thanks kettle

sincerely

black

By all means, please point to a time on this site where I've bashed a democrats idea just for being a democrat. Or better yet, please point to a time where I've claimed that republicans should be dishonest because their counterparts did the same thing.

I'll save you the time, you can't, because I haven't.

YOU SPECIFICALLY, GGA, YOU ARE A WONDERFUL EXAMPLE OF THE PROBLEMS IN AMERICAN POLITICS.

Face it, you have no solutions, just a home team and you'll back them no matter what. Have a hypocritical day :)

Wild Cobra
08-19-2009, 04:14 PM
I don't need blogs. try googling the subject you may be surprised it's there.. I know it's a shocking coincedence!I did google a phrase and found the original link, posted that link in post #3. You copied the same link I already posted. I'm accusing you of just lifting those two paragraphs from a blog, forum, etc. Otherwise, for our discussion here, why those two paragraphs only?

Next time, post the link for your source please.