PDA

View Full Version : What happened to boxing?

PM5K
08-19-2009, 04:31 PM
Damn, what's happened to boxing when we have an MMA forum but not a boxing one?

Sad, sad day...

BacktoBasics
08-19-2009, 04:51 PM
As much as I love boxing its a fucking mess. No clear system to define who really is the best fighter. The belts are worthless. Its a system governed and controlled by the promoters so its all about the money not what the fans want.

mexicanjunior
08-19-2009, 04:53 PM
MMA is all the rage right now, so it was expected. I'm not a big MMA fan but I am glad it has gotten popular because it is forcing boxing to make consistently good fights instead of maybe 1 or 2 good ones a year. Boxing promoters know fans aren't gonna fork over PPV money to see great fighters beat up on tomato cans anymore with so many people interested in MMA.

If not for MMA, I doubt we would see so many great matchups coming up this year like:

Marquez - Mayweather
Cotto - Pacqouia
Arreola - Klitschko
Williams - Pavlik
Bute - Andrade 2
Dawson - Johnson 2
The middleweight tournament with Ward, Kessler, Taylor, Dirrell, Froch and Abraham

That's not to mention the great fights we have already had this year, especially since most were not on PPV. I think MMA might have been the best thing to happen to boxing from a fans standpoint in a long time.

PM5K
08-19-2009, 05:08 PM
MMA is all the rage right now, so it was expected. I'm not a big MMA fan but I am glad it has gotten popular because it is forcing boxing to make consistently good fights instead of maybe 1 or 2 good ones a year. Boxing promoters know fans aren't gonna fork over PPV money to see great fighters beat up on tomato cans anymore with so many people interested in MMA.

If not for MMA, I doubt we would so many great matchups coming up this year like:

Marquez - Mayweather
Cotto - Pacqouia
Arreola - Klitschko
Williams - Pavlik
Bute - Andrade 2
Dawson - Johnson 2
The middleweight tournament with Ward, Kessler, Taylor, Dirrell, Froch and Abraham

That's not to mention the great fights we have already had this year, especially since most were not on PPV. I think MMA might have been the best thing to happen to boxing from a fans standpoint in a long time.

Good take! You very well could be right.

Evan
08-19-2009, 05:15 PM
I agree with what has been said so far.

While I am a massive MMA fan I still want boxing to make it back. Boxing was the first sport I got into.

hater
08-20-2009, 07:57 PM
geeks preffer MMA

dbreiden83080
08-20-2009, 09:34 PM
Corrupt Promoters, too many weight classes and not enough big fights is what happened. There are like 8 million versions of the heavyweight title alone. I am a big Wlad Klitschko fan but nobody knows who he is in the US and he fights always in Germany. Worshipped Tyson as a kid, my favorite fighter ever is Marvelous Marvin Hagler.. Boxing at it's best is still a great sport but the Main reason, i think boxing will have a tough time getting back is, I think more and more of the top potential boxing prospects are starting to go towards MMA now. The young kids that when it comes time to choose what to do, just box or learn the other tools in MMA will now be going towards MMA. The spotlight and money is getting bigger and bigger in MMA, the UFC especially..