PDA

View Full Version : Artest: Kobe Is Closest Thing To Jordan

Clutch City 01
08-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Ron Artest believes that the Lakers can be like the Bulls of the late 1990s.

Artest, who signed a free-agent deal with Los Angeles this summer, grew up as a fan of Michael Jordan.

"The opportunity was unbelievable. I get a chance to play with Kobe, Michael Jordan's my favorite player, Kobe's probably the closest person to Michael Jordan, so I get to kind of relive that whole Chicago Bulls thing growing up, that was my favorite team," Artest told 790 The Ticket in Miami.

"So, Phil Jackson, you got Kobe Bryant, you got myself at the three like Scottie Pippen, you have a clutch shooter in Derek Fisher like a Steve Kerr, you have Lamar Odom like a Toni Kukoc, it's just fun, it's a dream. I thank God so much to be in this situation, get a chance to win, playing with the defending champs, and I'm in LA 'cause you know I love the spotlight."

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/61187/20090818/artest_kobe_is_closest_thing_to_jordan/#

xtremesteven33
08-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Kobe has a better supporting cast right now than Jordan has ever had. Kobe has 2 more than capable big men while Jordan had big men like Luc Longley,Dennis Rodman and Bill Wennington.

I admit the Spurs cant beat the Lakers right now and the next 3-4 years are gonna be the Lakers to lose....

Culburn369
08-19-2009, 05:47 PM
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/61187/20090818/artest_kobe_is_closest_thing_to_jordan/#

He needs to get to a higher level: a June, 2010 Finals meeting with the Celtics would suffice. In order for us to triumph in that event Bryant would have to elevate his game to a previously unknown level. Then for the first time when he went, he'd of taken everyone with him.

Then, yes then he'd be able to enter the House of Magic justified. And yes, one could speak of Jordan & Kobe together without sullying each.

z0sa
08-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Kobe will never equal Jordan. Kobe knobslobbers won't ever change that.

mavs>spurs2
08-19-2009, 05:55 PM

+1

MJ >>> Kobe

and

Pippen >> Artest

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-19-2009, 05:57 PM
+1

MJ >>> Kobe

and

Pippen >> Artest

The gap between Pippen and Artest is just as big as MJ and Kobe, if not bigger.

Ron Artest will never lead a 47 win team in points, rebounds, assists, blocks and steals or do anything close to that.

PM5K
08-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Yeah none of those comparisons are near valid. Fisher hit a few lucky shots but % wise he's an average three point shooter, while Kerr was consistently one of the best three point shooters in the league.

Kukoc, Odom? Odom is better statistically but it's apples to potatoes.

KSeal
08-19-2009, 06:06 PM
Lakerstalk.com

What do all you Spurfans post on a Lakers website?

PM5K
08-19-2009, 06:07 PM
The gap between Pippen and Artest is just as big as MJ and Kobe, if not bigger.

Ron Artest will never lead a 47 win team in points, rebounds, assists, blocks and steals or do anything close to that.

I agree, he led them in every major statistical category. I'd venture to say he'd play worse with all of the pressure of being the go to guy on a team.

Kai
08-19-2009, 06:10 PM
So apparently Kobe < Jordan < Roy

JamStone
08-19-2009, 06:13 PM
Using distance as the gauge, Kobe might be 10 million miles from Jordan's level. But, if everyone else is 11 million miles or more away from Jordan's level, then the notion that Kobe is the closest thing to Jordan is still accurate.

Leetonidas
08-19-2009, 06:16 PM
Kobe will NEVER be as good as Jordan. EVER. Jordan is the GOAT. Kobe isn't even top 10 all-time.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-19-2009, 06:18 PM
^He might be top 10 of all time but he sure as hell isn't top 5 of all time yet.

Culburn369
08-19-2009, 06:33 PM

Not true.

It will require a seminal moment. He can't do it simply by attrition & raw numbers. It will require fresh ground on the upper plain, somewhere where he's never been.

Is it in Bryant? Methinks not. His empiricals argue strongly against it. He has been crushed by Finals opponent of merit, while feeding on the very bottom of Final's opponents for his sustenance.

Magic had done likewise until his seminal moment came against the Celtics in '84. He was transcended by his tragedy, caused mostly by his own hand & deeds. Johnson met his demons at the point of reality and vanquished them sealing his legacy forever.

Leetonidas
08-19-2009, 06:38 PM
:wtf

Showtime24 LAKERS
08-19-2009, 06:38 PM
He's just wants to win. Hopefully we see a motivated Artest, who puts all of his passion and anger towards the good of the team, on the court, when he rebounds, defends, and finishes.

TheMACHINE
08-19-2009, 06:43 PM
Not true.

It will require a seminal moment. He can't do it simply by attrition & raw numbers. It will require fresh ground on the upper plain, somewhere where he's never been.

Is it in Bryant? Methinks not. His empiricals argue strongly against it. He has been crushed by Finals opponent of merit, while feeding on the very bottom of Final's opponents for his sustenance.

Magic had done likewise until his seminal moment came against the Celtics in '84. He was transcended by his tragedy, caused mostly by his own hand & deeds. Johnson met his demons at the point of reality and vanquished them sealing his legacy forever.

i was bout to post this but you said it first.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Here's why Kobe is nowhere near Jordan:

MVPs:

Kobe 1
Jordan 5

Finals MVPs:

Kobe 1
Jordan 6

Culburn369
08-19-2009, 06:57 PM
i was bout to post this but you said it first.

Magic was most fortunate of how his destiny played out. Without '84, nothing for him or us goes the way it has, Daddy & Kobe included. Magic is our Father, our patriarch, our goodness. He is our purest Laker. He never looked away when tragedy struck. It only steeled him and clarified his goal. He risked all, held nothing back, as countless Lakers had afore him and delivered us our gleaming future.

monosylab1k
08-19-2009, 06:57 PM
Kobe is absolutely the closest thing to Jordan we've seen. But he's still nowhere near as great as Jordan and never will be.

Culburn369
08-19-2009, 07:01 PM
Here's why Kobe is nowhere near Jordan:

MVPs:

Kobe 1
Jordan 5

Finals MVPs:

Kobe 1
Jordan 6

Door stops, pretties, paper weights, even that LOB is comedy personified. It's just two things, it's never been anything else, nor ever will it be anything else:

1. Make the playoffs

2. Win the last game you play

Even (1.) is nothing more than a required means to the end.

Ghazi
08-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Artest is right!

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Door stops, pretties, paper weights, even that LOB is comedy personified. It's just two things, it's never been anything else, nor ever will it be anything else:

1. Make the playoffs

2. Win the last game you play

Even (1.) is nothing more than a required means to the end.

So by this logic Horry > Jordan > Kobe

redzero
08-19-2009, 07:12 PM
Not true.

Kobe's been in the league for 13 years. We've already seen the best he's had to offer.

Chillen
08-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Artest compares Kobe to Jordan (LOL)

The Lakers to the 2nd Bulls 3peat team (LOL)

Kukoc to Odom (LOL)

That 2nd Bulls 3peat team did not want to lose period. Went 72-10. They were incredibly smart, played with a high basketball IQ, played incredible defense and they did not have the depth the Lakers have now. A true model franchise.

Rodman had the hustle, pride and determination that he had out there was a sight to behold. He would risk injury just to grab a lose ball, he was a beast. Kukoc played with a high basketball IQ, was an excellent passer, set the triangle up to perfection and a real team leader. He also hit lots of big 3's at the right time in the game, truly a huge part of that 3peat team. No comparison to Odom, none.

Pippen and Jordan are probably the greatest duo in NBA history.

As for that Jordan guy, he's good, real good, the greatest.

Now if the Lakers go on to 3peat than we can compare, but for right now STFU Artest.

xtremesteven33
08-19-2009, 07:14 PM
So by this logic Horry > Jordan > Kobe

Gosh not this again....

Kobe is just as good as Jordan when it comes to his game....Its not that hard to understand...

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-19-2009, 07:15 PM
Gosh not this again....

I'm just using the logic people like you seem to love.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-19-2009, 07:16 PM
If were going off you're standards, then Jordan is not the greatest.

Who would be better?

Culburn369
08-19-2009, 07:17 PM
"Kukoc to Odom (LOL)"

Kukoc was a such a winner. Reminds me of Manu. Both so mentally accomplished.

xtremesteven33
08-19-2009, 07:18 PM
Who would be better?

The most decorated player in the history of the NBA is bar none Bill Russell.

The most dominant player of all time is bar none Michael Jordan.

Take your pick on what makes someone the greatest of all time...

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Take your pick on what makes someone the greatest of all time...

Not one particular thing, just saying the huge gap and finals MVPs and MVPs makes it pretty hard to argue Kobe is as good as MJ.

Chillen
08-19-2009, 07:22 PM
He didn't compare himself to Rodman you jackass. Read the fucking article first, then reply.

Thanks for the heads up, my bad, you are right. Artest is wise to not go there. Rodman was a monster.

redzero
08-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Russell played with the best players in the league. It's kind of disingenuous to put all the success on him.

xtremesteven33
08-19-2009, 07:24 PM
Kobe's game is close to Jordans but if its accomplishments we're taking about than yea hes got a LONG way to go....

Bandwagon Spurs Fan
08-19-2009, 07:24 PM
artest is a bitch. he sounds like your average bandwagoning lakerfan.

Chillen
08-19-2009, 07:25 PM
"Kukoc to Odom (LOL)"

Kukoc was a such a winner. Reminds me of Manu. Both so mentally accomplished.

Yeah, Manu is better, but for a near 7 footer he was pretty impressive and skilled, he knew how to win games for his team.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-19-2009, 07:26 PM
If we're going off of you're standards alone, then Russell is the GOAT. I don't use titles when it comes to comparing the best players. Stockton was better than Parker, but Parker has the titles. Skill set alone is enough for me, and I don't know of any players that have a better skill set than Jordan or Kobe. Now, I'd draft Magic over Kobe and Jordan, but then we're talking about a whole different topic.

Unlike most people, I think as far as a similar skillset to Jordan goes, Wade is the most similar, but Kobe's skillset is still better all around than Wade's, his jumper is better than Jordan's ever was. My point is, I don't think MJ and Kobe have the extremely similar skill set most people think they do.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-19-2009, 07:33 PM
Wade? I would agree with a healthy TMAC, but not Wade. Wade doesn't have the flair to his game like Jordan did. Kobe and TMAC are close. Jordan is his own brand. Its going to be hard for someone to come with the complete package that he had.

I never said Wade had the game Jordan had, I simply said Wade's skillset is more comparable to MJ than Kobe's is. Doesn't mean Wade > Kobe

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-19-2009, 07:33 PM
Wade doesn't have the flair to his game like Jordan did.

No one does.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-19-2009, 07:37 PM
The guy can't even shoot the 3.

Um, I agree MJ >>> Kobe, but using Kobe's 3 point shooting to argue that is beyond retarded. The one offensive skill most people would agree Kobe is better than MJ at is three point shooting.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-19-2009, 07:40 PM
I still don't see it. Wade mainly works off pick and rolls, where Jordan and Kobe work off of iso's, and post up.

There's really no way to prove this but from the Miami games I watch Wade rarely uses pick and rolls, that could be cause he doesn't need a pick to drive by Jason Richardson :lol

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-19-2009, 07:43 PM
I wasn't comparing MJ and Kobe's 3 point shooting. I was using it to debunk the notion that he has the best skillset in the NBA, which he doesn't. Kobe uses the midrange game because he can't finish at the rim anymore with any consistency. He isn't a good passer. He doesn't defend. He relies on great teammates or he's out in the first round. Or not making the playoffs at all. He is nothing more than a glorified Tracy McGrady, albeit with better health.

If T-Mac stayed healthy his entire career he'd probably rank right up there with Kobe.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-19-2009, 07:46 PM
And if Kobe didn't have Shaquille O'Neal or Pau Gasol, he would rank right up there with Allen Iverson as most overrated players of their generation.

Maybe with Shaq, but criticizing Kobe for needing Pau Gasol would be like criticizing Tim Duncan for needing Manu Ginobili.

IronMexican
08-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Kobe is absolutely the closest thing to Jordan we've seen. But he's still nowhere near as great as Jordan and never will be.

:tu

djohn2oo8
08-19-2009, 07:53 PM
compare how many times Kobe quit on his team compared to Jordan, and you'll have your answer

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-19-2009, 07:54 PM
Not even close. Manu is not comparable to Pau Gasol. Pau Gasol is twice the player Manu is. Manu had one amazing stretch in 2005 and has never reached that level again. Gasol has had sustained excellence of around 20 and 10 for his career.

Why is it Spurs fans never post anything like this when Manu is being compared to someone else?

Culburn369
08-19-2009, 07:56 PM
And if Kobe didn't have Shaquille O'Neal or Pau Gasol, he would rank right up there with Allen Iverson as most overrated players of their generation.

Basically what I said a week ago and everybody called me everything but a white man.

Culburn369
08-19-2009, 07:58 PM
compare how many times Kobe quit on his team compared to Jordan, and you'll have your answer

He quit on them that one season, at the directive of Stern, but, nonetheless thru his actions, Jordan ostensibly quit.

lefty
08-19-2009, 07:59 PM
The 2nd amendment should be waived only for Artest

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-19-2009, 08:00 PM
Because I notice a lot of people on this site are either extremely loyal to the Spurs, or they don't watch very much basketball outside of the Spurs.

True, but my overall point is, needing a good side kick like Gasol shouldn't be held against you.

Culburn369
08-19-2009, 08:00 PM
Maybe with Shaq, but criticizing Kobe for needing Pau Gasol would be like criticizing Tim Duncan for needing Manu Ginobili.

Let me tell you something, youngster:::you was in dire need of a quality post. And you hit that cocknocker dead solid perfect.

Culburn369
08-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Because I notice a lot of people on this site are either extremely loyal to the Spurs, or they don't watch very much basketball outside of the Spurs.

Damus, attaining sublime sobriety. How the fuck does it feel, you gd magnificent bastard, you?

lefty
08-19-2009, 08:08 PM
And The 2nd amendment should be waived only for Artest

Culburn369
08-19-2009, 08:09 PM
Only this year have the Spurs really made a concerted effort to put a quality supporting cast around Duncan.

Oh, shitskie, manitski, Damus is back in the sauce.

My Fault
08-19-2009, 11:29 PM
Kobe is great and will go down as one of the greatest to play the game but he is far from Jordan. IMO Lebron is better than Kobe and he is still getting better. He is closer to MJ with the greatness of his all around game.

Ditty
08-19-2009, 11:34 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wAvZv-X0HLg/R9UNbCLpfxI/AAAAAAAABpA/ZrR8T0ZQgh0/s400/mot_suck.jpg

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-19-2009, 11:38 PM
My overall point is Kobe has had elite help to win or he hasn't won anything.

Michael Jordan had elite help too.....I agree Tim Duncan has had some weak supporting casts, one reason why I think Duncan > Kobe, all I'm saying is Pau Gasol was one of a handful of big men who Kobe needed as a sufficient side kick.

The way I see it, Gasol is just as much Kobe's sidekick as Kobe was Shaq's sidekick from 2000-2002. Shaq was the guy who took defensive attention off Kobe and made him better then, Kobe is the guy who takes attention off Gasol and makes him better now. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

Medvedenko
08-20-2009, 12:07 AM

Actually, you're probably too young to remember....but those baseball seasons were awesome for the bulls...especially after a 3 peat.

23LeBronJames23
08-20-2009, 12:23 AM
...MAYBE...

But when Kobes and LeBrons career will be over i think it will be LeBron the closest thing to Jordan

Medvedenko
08-20-2009, 12:25 AM
...MAYBE...

But when Kobes and LeBrons career will be over i think it will be LeBron the closest thing to Jordan

Maybe you're right, and by that time you'd be a senior in high school and probably have kissed a girl by then.

spursfan1000
08-20-2009, 12:27 AM
Kobe has a better supporting cast right now than Jordan has ever had. Kobe has 2 more than capable big men while Jordan had big men like Luc Longley,Dennis Rodman and Bill Wennington.

I admit the Spurs cant beat the Lakers right now and the next 3-4 years are gonna be the Lakers to lose....

Can't? You are crazy if you think we can't beat them.

Culburn369
08-20-2009, 05:07 AM
Actually, you're probably too young to remember....but those baseball seasons were awesome for the bulls...especially after a 3 peat.

Well, when Stern tells you to "quit"...Jordan quit.

redzero
08-20-2009, 05:12 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wAvZv-X0HLg/R9UNbCLpfxI/AAAAAAAABpA/ZrR8T0ZQgh0/s400/mot_suck.jpg

I know that Biedrins is in that picture somewhere.

Muser
08-20-2009, 05:14 AM
Roy?

ambchang
08-20-2009, 09:31 AM
There is nothing wrong with saying Kobe is the closest to Jordan. Kobe modelled his whole career after Jordan (except playing for the Bulls part), he wanted to be like Mike like nobody else.

Other than Kobe having much better teammates than Jordan at the beginning of their respective careers, Kobe has been dying to be like Mike, and he was successful at it.

LeBron James on the other hand, is nowhere near what Jordan was. Their playing styles are different, their mode of attack is different. James' game was much closer to a Pippen on steriods mode, where he can do everything extremely well, but none at the level of best of all time.

Just want to make it clear though, I am not saying Kobe > James, in fact, I think James > Kobe, but in terms of playing like Jordan, nobody could come close to Kobe.

TDMVPDPOY
08-20-2009, 09:35 AM
this thread

http://i29.tinypic.com/2d0x9bk.jpg

Culburn369
08-20-2009, 09:44 AM
There is nothing wrong with saying Kobe is the closest to Jordan. Kobe modelled his whole career after Jordan (except playing for the Bulls part), he wanted to be like Mike like nobody else.

Other than Kobe having much better teammates than Jordan at the beginning of their respective careers, Kobe has been dying to be like Mike, and he was successful at it.

LeBron James on the other hand, is nowhere near what Jordan was. Their playing styles are different, their mode of attack is different. James' game was much closer to a Pippen on steriods mode, where he can do everything extremely well, but none at the level of best of all time.

Just want to make it clear though, I am not saying Kobe > James, in fact, I think James > Kobe, but in terms of playing like Jordan, nobody could come close to Kobe.

Matzel, Matzel, good things!

JamStone
08-20-2009, 09:51 AM

Jordan quit on the Bulls twice. The first time because his gambling addiction became a big problem and he needed to take some heat off of it. The second time when the Bulls refused to bring back Scottie and Phil after #6. Jordan has said many times that he would have come back if they brought Phil and Scottie back. Since they didn't, he decided to "quit."

Culburn369
08-20-2009, 10:05 AM
Jordan quit on the Bulls twice. The first time because his gambling addiction became a big problem and he needed to take some heat off of it. The second time when the Bulls refused to bring back Scottie and Phil after #6. Jordan has said many times that he would have come back if they brought Phil and Scottie back. Since they didn't, he decided to "quit."

Jam/goods/Thursday morn/Matzel, Matzel.

samikeyp
08-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Kobe may be close but he is not MJ nor will there be another MJ.

However.....that's not a bad thing. Kobe is Kobe. Why not just let him be the "first Kobe" instead of the next Jordan?

He brings his own unique talents to the game and when he is done, there will be those who come close but never be another as well.

ambchang
08-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Come to think of it, is Artest going to break Kobe's ribs like he did to Jordan?

crc21209
08-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Sooo first Artest wanted to knock Kobe's lights out, and now he's sucking his dick saying Kobe is the closest thing to Jordan? WTF!?!