PDA

View Full Version : UFC 106: Lesnar vs Carwin

LEONARD
08-20-2009, 01:09 PM
UFC 106: NOVEMBER 21, 2009
venue: Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada

-Brock Lesnar vs Shane Carwin
-Tito Ortiz vs. Mark Coleman

Carwin vs Cain at 104 has been scrapped...

I like Carwin's chances more than anybody else that's in the UFC right now.

He has the punching power to test Lesnar’s chin.

He’s not much smaller or less powerful (maybe 20 lbs less and the same height).

He’s a great athlete, like Lesnar, and has a solid wrestling base.

He’s a mechanical engineer…woot.

ATRAIN
08-20-2009, 01:13 PM
UFC 106: NOVEMBER 21, 2009
venue: Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada

-Brock Lesnar vs Shane Carwin
-Tito Ortiz vs. Mark Coleman

Carwin vs Cain at 104 has been scrapped...

I like Carwin's chances more than anybody else that's in the UFC right now.

He has the punching power to test Lesnar’s chin.

He’s not much smaller or less powerful (maybe 20 lbs less and the same height).

He’s a great athlete, like Lesnar, and has a solid wrestling base.

He’s a mechanical engineer…woot.

This the "official" return of Tito?

angelbelow
08-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Ive actually never seen Carwin fight.. gonna have to check him out.

lebomb
08-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Yep, Shane Carwin matches Brock in size, that is for sure. I actually think Shane has a good chance.

polandprzem
08-20-2009, 02:41 PM
I just wanted to post it here, you beat me to it

Nice. UFC had nobody to face Lesnar in shorter period of time.
This fight is too early for Carwin.

polandprzem
08-20-2009, 02:42 PM
http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=2949

lebomb
08-20-2009, 02:49 PM
This fight is too early for Carwin.

Hugh? Carwin has 11 or 12 MMA fights and Lesnar has 5.

LEONARD
08-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Carwin has more experience than Lesnar...11-0 and fighting for 4 yrs.

Ive actually never seen Carwin fight.. gonna have to check him out.

Wellisch
http://i25.tinypic.com/2wgda8j.gif

Neil Wein
http://i44.tinypic.com/vr98bd.gif

Gonzaga
http://i44.tinypic.com/a3h5xz.gif
http://i43.tinypic.com/16i2yu.gif

Older fights
mAlAneaYjqU

dbreiden83080
08-20-2009, 03:34 PM
His only chance is to catch Brock with a KO shot. I was not blown away by him in the Gonzaga fight, he was losing every second of that fight until Gonzaga like an idiot stood up and traded with him. Gonzaga got him down, Brock will easily.. Brock is so far away the toughest guy he's fought it's not even close. 11-0 but fought a who's who of cans.. The only legit guy is Gonzaga who is talented but incredibly inconsistant. Gonzaga's toughest test was Randy and he got his ass kicked.. He's big, Brock is bigger, he's strong, Brock is stronger, Great Wrestling background, Brocks is better. I like Brock to finish this on the ground. I'm not convinced Carwin is any more dangerous than Mir Or Randy was.

Interesting that Shane/Cain got scrapped, guess the fans were not into it. And if Brock gets bye Carwin without much trouble, he will blast Cain something awful..

dbreiden83080
08-20-2009, 03:38 PM

I say he does not because he has fought nobody but Gonzaga.

Brock has fought, Randy, Mir Twice and Herring. I give him the edge in experience.. He's fought more great fighters..

dbreiden83080
08-20-2009, 03:41 PM
Hugh? Carwin has 11 or 12 MMA fights and Lesnar has 5.

4 of Brock's 5 are against A level fighters..

dbreiden83080
08-20-2009, 03:46 PM
Long way off but i guess this is our official UFC 106 thread.. :lol

lebomb
08-20-2009, 03:53 PM
4 of Brock's 5 are against A level fighters..

yeah, I guess I can see that.............

LEONARD
08-20-2009, 04:26 PM
His only chance is to catch Brock with a KO shot. I was not blown away by him in the Gonzaga fight, he was losing every second of that fight until Gonzaga like an idiot stood up and traded with him. Gonzaga got him down, Brock will easily.. Brock is so far away the toughest guy he's fought it's not even close. 11-0 but fought a who's who of cans.. The only legit guy is Gonzaga who is talented but incredibly inconsistant. Gonzaga's toughest test was Randy and he got his ass kicked.. He's big, Brock is bigger, he's strong, Brock is stronger, Great Wrestling background, Brocks is better. I like Brock to finish this on the ground. I'm not convinced Carwin is any more dangerous than Mir Or Randy was.

Interesting that Shane/Cain got scrapped, guess the fans were not into it. And if Brock gets bye Carwin without much trouble, he will blast Cain something awful..

We'll see. I think Carwin is the best matchup in the UFC for him right now. I'm glad they killed the Cain fight...it was pointless. Brock would be sitting for way too long.

My bold prediction is that Brock's chin isn't what people think it is...Carwin can test it.

I say he does not because he has fought nobody but Gonzaga.

Brock has fought, Randy, Mir Twice and Herring. I give him the edge in experience.. He's fought more great fighters..

True, but Carwin has still been around for a while...

dbreiden83080
08-20-2009, 04:37 PM
My bold prediction is that Brock's chin isn't what people think it is...Carwin can test it.

We'll see everyone gets caught now and then. Brock took the knee Mir threw just fine. But anything can happen with 2 huge guys that hit like trucks..

angelbelow
08-20-2009, 09:28 PM

Wellisch
http://i25.tinypic.com/2wgda8j.gif

Neil Wein
http://i44.tinypic.com/vr98bd.gif

Gonzaga
http://i44.tinypic.com/a3h5xz.gif
http://i43.tinypic.com/16i2yu.gif

Older fights
mAlAneaYjqU

thanks bro

The TroutBum
08-21-2009, 12:08 AM
Half my kingdom to watch Brock lose to ANYONE. I hate that sack of rotting otter foreskins.

LEONARD
08-21-2009, 09:30 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AkMceDmmTwLYFTxM_RVMztw9Eo14?slug=dm-lesnarcar082009&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar’s second title defense will be Nov. 21 in Las Vegas against fellow powerhouse wrestler Shane Carwin.

Carwin, 11-0, has beaten everyone put in front of him, six by knockout or TKO and five by submission. His longest fight is 2 minutes and 11 seconds.

At 6-foot-2 and 260 pounds, with a stellar collegiate wrestling background, he would pose the toughest power and style challenge of Lesnar’s short mixed martial arts career.

Carwin was scheduled to face Cain Velasquez (6-0) on Oct. 24 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles in what UFC president Dana White had billed as a match to determine Lesnar’s next challenger. Instead, Lesnar vs. Carwin will headline a show that would include the return of Tito Ortiz, facing UFC Hall of Famer Mark Coleman.

“Brock is ready to go now and wants to fight,” said White. “Carwin makes the most sense. He’s 11-0, and he’s been kicking the [expletive] out of everybody. [Gabriel] Gonzaga destroyed [Mirko] Cro Cop and he [Carwin] totally destroyed Gonzaga. Plus, he hates Brock Lesnar.”
More From Dave Meltzer

Sources outside the UFC confirmed Velasquez was told on Thursday that the fight was off because Carwin was being moved to face Lesnar. Velasquez was told he would be given a new opponent for Oct. 24.

Carwin has been the most vocal of the UFC heavyweight contenders in criticizing Lesnar (4-1). After retaining his title over Frank Mir in the biggest MMA event in U.S. history at UFC 100 on July 11, Lesnar got in Mir’s face, causing officials to jump between them. He then flipped off the audience that booed him heavily the entire fight, insulted UFC’s main sponsor, Bud Light, and did a pro wrestling-style interview.

“The flipping off of the fans that just lined your pocket with millions of dollars is just lame,” Carwin said in the week after UFC 100. “He may be a champion, but he has a long ways to go before he earns the respect of a champion. The fans are why we do this, Brock. This sport is not about fat paychecks and drama. It is about hard work and sacrifice for a shot to do what you did [that] night. It doesn’t matter how much money you make if you can’t earn your peers’ respect and the respect and love of the greatest sporting fans in the world.”

Carwin also played the pro wrestling card – the profession Lesnar garnered celebrity status in between 2002-2004 – which seemed to get under Lesnar’s skin when played in prior matches by Heath Herring and Mir.

“We have no scripts in this sport, no predetermined earning amount and no predetermined outcomes,” Carwin wrote. “It doesn’t matter if you win or lose, it matters how you win or lose.”

“He hates Brock Lesnar,” said White. “It’s going to be two huge guys going at it. He’s got the power to knock anybody out and he’s got great wrestling too. He’s one of the guys that has the size to match up with Brock, too. This is one of those fights that could be wild. Someone’s going to get their head knocked off.”

Carwin, 34, is probably the closest athletic equivalent to Lesnar in MMA.

Both are huge men with strong backgrounds in wrestling as well as heavy powerlifting. Lesnar was Division I national wrestling champion at the University of Minnesota in 2000. Carwin competed at the Division II level for Western State College in Gunnison, Colo., where he was 1999 national champion, and was twice a Division II All-America linebacker in football.

Simply through his background, Carwin would pose the toughest style threat to Lesnar to date. If his wrestling is good enough to stop Lesnar from taking him down, Carwin would appear to have an advantage and pack the harder punch, even though neither are great technical strikers. More likely in a standing battle with guys of that power, it would come down to who landed first.

From a credentials standpoint, Division I wrestling is a level above Division II, but that is also a decade ago. In their UFC 96 match in March, Gonzaga took Carwin down, and Lesnar is bigger, stronger and a better wrestler than Gonzaga. Carwin is untested on his back and also completely untested in terms of conditioning for a long match.

Nate Marquardt, who has trained with Carwin, noted the Carwin trains in high altitude in Colorado, and doesn’t think cardio would be an issue. Lesnar’s cardio for a long fight is also untested for someone who is near his size and has wrestling ability, although he did go the full 15 minutes in a 2008 win over Heath Hering.

Carwin’s wrestling ability is such that even if he is taken down, he wouldn’t likely be controlled and dominated without being able to get up through sheer power, like Lesnar was able to do in his fights with Herring and the second fight with Mir.

Carwin is most dangerous for a strong right hand, which felled Gonzaga, Christian Wellisch and Neil Wain in his three UFC outings. His record for quick wins is impressive, but it also has included only one top level heavyweight, Gonzaga. He showed both good and bad signs in that fight. He was taken down immediately, and had his nose broken from a punch, which required surgery that kept him out of action for several months. But seconds later, when he connected on Gonzaga standing, the match was over in just 1:09.

Lesnar (4-1), the sport’s ultimate villain, has replaced the retired Oscar De La Hoya as the biggest pay-per-view draw in combat sports, putting up big numbers in all four of his UFC fights.

From a business standpoint, the match makes sense on several levels. Had the Carwin vs. Velasquez winner gotten the next shot, as White had talked about, Lesnar wouldn’t be available to fight until Super Bowl weekend at the earliest. Carwin vs. Velasquez would also eliminate the loser from possible contention.

The heavyweight division, in terms of depth, is the strongest in the history of the company, even after the failure to sign standout Fedor Emelianenko.

Besides Velasquez, in the wings as title contenders in early 2010 would include winners of the Aug. 29 fight in Portland, Ore., with former champions Randy Couture and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, as well as the winner of a Sept. 19 fight in Dallas between Cro Cop and Junior Dos Santos.

robbie380
08-21-2009, 10:08 AM
i can't see carwin winning this fight. lesnar is just too big and has defeated much better competition but it will be interesting.

lebomb
08-21-2009, 10:34 AM
i can't see carwin winning this fight. lesnar is just too big and has defeated much better competition but it will be interesting.

Yep..........much bigger 6-3, 265 vs 6-2, 260 :(

robbie380
08-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Yep..........much bigger 6-3, 265 vs 6-2, 260 :(

brock doesn't walk in the ring at 265

LEONARD
08-21-2009, 10:47 AM
They both cut weight to make 265...I think Lesnar cuts a little more and is naturally (walk around weight) a little bigger.

War Carwin... :fro

robbie380
08-21-2009, 11:34 AM
They both cut weight to make 265...I think Lesnar cuts a little more and is naturally (walk around weight) a little bigger.

War Carwin... :fro

wow...didn't know that. i always thought carwin was under 265.

edit...is it me or does carwin look bigger in those older fights?

dbreiden83080
08-21-2009, 11:49 AM
brock doesn't walk in the ring at 265

Brock is probably about 15 pds bigger than Carwin, come fight time..

LEONARD
08-21-2009, 01:18 PM
wow...didn't know that. i always thought carwin was under 265.

edit...is it me or does carwin look bigger in those older fights?

His first fight in the UFC he was 252. He's been 260 and 264 for his last 2 fight.

He doesn't have to cut as much as Lesnar...and he's not usually having to cut water weight at the last minute like Lesnar does. He just has to trim some weight leading up to a fight. Fighting weight difference will probably be 15 lbs or so I would guess.

Found this in an interview...

Do you have to cut weight to get down to the heavyweight limit of 265?

Usually I walk around at about 275 to 280, but about three months out I clean up my diet and eat healthy, and I tend to get down pretty lean. Usually by fight time I shouldn't have to cut weight.

polandprzem
08-22-2009, 01:55 AM
Saying that this fight is too early for carwin I meant that he had not so much great opponents. His overall skill level is not that great and he hasn't been in many MMA situations - he is untested on so many levels (like was posted in the art).
he needed that fight against Cain before going to fight for a championship.

But UFC had nobody for Brock. Maybe they thought they will get Fedor so Lesnar would not wait that long. a probable next matchup would be Nog if he will win with randy next Saturday.
But from the fans standpoint this bout is great. Both fighters are big and have similar background skills. But I thing Brock is a better MMArtist even when his skillset is not that great eaither (but it's all about being efficient).
So the matchup is great for the fans.

It will be intresting what would Lesnar do, what will be his gameplan?
He can't get into exchange because I thing that Carwin got better stiking power. But he (brock) can outbox him.
Another thing - take Carwin down. he never was on his back during the fights, so we don't know his defense on the ground and Lesnar can control guys on the ground just fine.

btw. they scratched Ben Rothwell from the Velasquez fight?

lebomb
08-22-2009, 08:29 AM
I guess I just dont see that big of an advantage for Lesnar. Yeah he beat up a couple of guys because he was sooooo much larger and stronger than they were. I see Carwin as about the same in size and skill level. Should be close IMHO.

Rip-Hamilton32
08-22-2009, 01:50 PM
Carwin is a bad man I think its gonna be a good fight but I think Lesnar is gonna control it on the ground and win by TKO

angelbelow
08-22-2009, 05:18 PM
Wow, hes definitey got the size, should be a really good fight!

dbreiden83080
08-23-2009, 11:10 AM
I guess I just dont see that big of an advantage for Lesnar. Yeah he beat up a couple of guys because he was sooooo much larger and stronger than they were.

Another mistake i think people are making with Brock is doubting his skill level. He just was on the mat for 5 plus min with Mir, one of the best heavyweight submission fighters in the game and was not close to getting submitted.. Pummeled his butt badly and finished him.. His skill is better than people give him credit for..

dallaskd
08-23-2009, 03:28 PM
I'm just glad to see Lesnar's chin finally tested. I think Carwin's wrestling is good enough and he is strong enough to stuff takedowns.

cornbread
08-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Another mistake i think people are making with Brock is doubting his skill level. He just was on the mat for 5 plus min with Mir, one of the best heavyweight submission fighters in the game and was not close to getting submitted.. Pummeled his butt badly and finished him.. His skill is better than people give him credit for..

Not mention the fact that he introduced a way to demolish half-guard which nobody's seen before. For all the shit that Mir talked about Brock's lack of technique, Brock was actually able to bring a completely new and effective technique to the table. Whether it's him or his trainers who came up with it up, I don't know, but the fact he's evolving so quickly demands respect.

dbreiden83080
08-23-2009, 04:59 PM
I'm just glad to see Lesnar's chin finally tested. I think Carwin's wrestling is good enough and he is strong enough to stuff takedowns.

He didn't stuff the Gonzaga Takedown, he won't stuff Brocks. On the mat Brock will smash Carwin. Look what he did to Mir, then factor in Carwin having no JJ..The Brock that looked uncertain in great positions with Herring is no more..

dallaskd
08-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Unless Carwin knocks him out first..

dbreiden83080
08-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Unless Carwin knocks him out first..

That's really his only chance. When it hits the mat, Game over..

dallaskd
08-23-2009, 05:20 PM
We'll see. Carwin is a lot tougher than Mir. And i wouldnt count him out on the mat. I mean.. Tito almost sub'd Machida..

LEONARD
09-01-2009, 12:45 PM
GLPgjdSbAjg

dbreiden83080
09-01-2009, 02:17 PM
Carwin is still working full time, shit the UFC is paying him chicken feed. Brock is gonna wax this guy..

LEONARD
09-01-2009, 02:54 PM
DO IT FOR ALL THE MECHANICAL ENGINEERS, SHANE!! :fro

dallaskd
09-01-2009, 05:30 PM
Seems like a really cool guy.

Stringer_Bell
09-02-2009, 12:26 AM
I could see Carwin making this the longest fight of Brock's career, but whether that means Brock will be beating his head into the ground for 4 rounds I really can't say. Good luck to him though, I think he'll stick to his game plan and not get too ahead of himself.

desflood
09-02-2009, 08:54 AM
According to Inside Fights, sources close to both camps have revealed that Ultimate Fighter season 7 winner Amir Sadollah (1-1) will square off against "The New York Badass" Phil Baroni (13-11) at UFC 106 in Las Vegas on November 21st.

LEONARD
09-02-2009, 09:39 AM
According to Inside Fights, sources close to both camps have revealed that Ultimate Fighter season 7 winner Amir Sadollah (1-1) will square off against "The New York Badass" Phil Baroni (13-11) at UFC 106 in Las Vegas on November 21st.

I don't know why, but I really love that matchup...

Phil entertains...and hearing Coleman yell at him from his corner is great...but not as great as Phil yelling at Coleman when he's fighting. Best cornerman ever...

angelbelow
09-02-2009, 12:12 PM
yea phil is fun to watch

Stringer_Bell
09-03-2009, 12:42 AM
Not confirmed, but I'd definitely like to see this match up...

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15986/lightweight-contenders-kenny-florian-and-clay-guida-to-clash-at-ufc-106.mma

I think "Florini" and Guida would make an interesting fight, both guys coming off of tough loses. Any thoughts?