PDA

View Full Version : ***Official DALLAS COWBOYS 2009 Season Thread***

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

O-Factor
08-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Jones ready to unveil Cowboys' new $1.15 billion showpiece to NFL

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/football/nfl/08/19/cowboys.stadium.ap/jerry.jones.jpg
Jerry Jones shares the view from a luxury

ARLINGTON, Texas (AP) -- Jerry Jones could have just renovated Texas Stadium. Or he could've built the Dallas Cowboys a nice, new place for about $650 million.

Then Jones really thought about it.

With only one chance to do something like this, he didn't want just another stadium.

He wanted one of the biggest and the absolute best, something that would establish a new category of sports venues, like the Astrodome did decades ago and, in his wildest dreams, the way Rome's Colosseum did centuries before.
Nearly $1.2 billion later, Jones believes he might have done it.

"This," he says, "is the real deal."

Cowboys Stadium is a masterpiece of architecture and engineering, a facility that manages to be tricked-out without feeling like an amusement park, overwhelmingly big without making visitors feel swallowed.

The list of features is a roll call of first-this and biggest-that. The most stunning are the video boards, a pair of high-definition screens that run from 20-yard line to 20-yard line and are 25 yards tall, each the equivalent of more than 2,000 52-inch TVs.
Other highlights include a retractable roof and retractable walls on both ends; bars that seem plucked from five-star hotels; museum-caliber artwork; field-level suites with patios pratically bumping into the sidelines; a club players can walk through from the locker room to the field; and mingling areas for tens of thousands of fans who buy a $29 "party pass" instead of a regular ticket.
Since the doors opened two months ago, visitors have walked in expecting the grandest thing they've ever seen. For many, it still exceeds expectations.

"I wanted to be wowed and awed by it, and I'm totally wowed and totally awed by it," longtime Cowboys star Drew Pearson said during his first visit. "It makes me wish I could turn the clock back a little bit, lace up the cleats and strap on the hat."

The ultimate proof of this building's elite status is the list of events it has lured without its namesake tenant even taking the field.
The NBA All-Star game is coming in February, the Super Bowl in 2011 and the Final Four in 2014. All sorts of in-season college football games are scheduled, including a Notre Dame home game in 2013. The Big 12 will hold its next two football championship games here and is considering making it the permanent site. The Cotton Bowl already has moved in --literally, as its headquarters are right behind the broadcast booths -- and organizers hope the new address will help land the New Year's Day game a spot in the BCS.
Futbol is a big part of the stadium's plans, too. A special layer of turf was put in for a soccer pitch and an international tournament had the honor of being the stadium's first sports event. Don't be surprised if this place becomes the centerpiece of a U.S. bid to host the World Cup.
But the stadium isn't merely a ballpark, a point emphasized by the first event being a concert. And not just any concert, it was an unprecedented double-bill for the king and queen of country music, George Strait and Reba McEntire. The Jonas Brothers kicked off their current tour here, Paul McCartney was playing Wednesday night, and U2 is coming next month.

Tony Romo, DeMarcus Ware and the Cowboys will get their turn Friday night in a preseason game against the Tennessee Titans. Fox is broadcasting it nationally, certain to make the building the star of the show.
"I had heard everybody saying it's big and da-da, da-da," receiver Roy Williams. "Then (I) finally saw it with my own eyes and it's the greatest thing on earth."

The Cowboys called the Cotton Bowl home their first 11 1/2 seasons, then moved to Texas Stadium in suburban Irving in 1971. The new building cost $35 million, a whopping sum at the time, and was considered a state-of-the-art marvel. It was packed with luxury suites and a hole in the roof "so God could watch his team," according to lore. Players sure responded to the upgrade, winning their first Super Bowl that season.

Jones took over in '89, knowing all along the lease would expire early in the 21st century. He started thinking about it more seriously as the millennium approached.

Fixing up Texas Stadium was eliminated pretty quickly. He looked into moving back to Dallas, but city leaders never took the idea to voters. He wound up being wooed by the folks in Arlington, already home to the Texas Rangers and Six Flags theme park.

In November 2004, Arlington voters approved a hike in sales tax to raise $325 million, supposedly half of the stadium's price tag, with Jones vowing to cover the rest, no matter how much that was. It didn't take long for the tab to jump to $1 billion, then it kept going. From the groundbreaking in April 2006 to the ribbon-cutting in May, Jones spent the equivalent of about $1 million per day.

"It never started with, `Let's just take a dollar amount and multiply it times 30 percent,"' Jones told The Associated Press during a recent stadium tour. "It basically began with, `What can we do to make this special? And what would it be to make it noteworthy?' And then the decision was, 'Well, is that something we want to expand what we're spending to get?' And, in many cases, it was."

Jones and his family traveled the globe for ideas, hitting Wembley Stadium in London, the Bird's Nest Olympic stadium in Beijing, and facilities in Germany, Japan and France. They kept finding things to add, "changing the scope" of the project, as Jones likes to say.
The airport in Nice, France, was the inspiration for the building being wrapped in glass, one of many signature touches. This one is especially distinct because it's the first thing anyone sees -- and the view is constantly changing. Panels are sloped in a way that reflects the amount of sunlight available; internal lights make it glow at night. With all the angles and shiny facade, there's also a bit of rocket-ship look to it.

The building fills 3 million square feet, triple the size of its predecessor. It is tall enough for the Statue of Liberty to stand inside and about as wide as the Empire State Building is tall. More than 100,000 people are expected for the regular-season opener on Sept. 20, a Sunday night game with the archrival Giants, with around 120,000 likely for the Super Bowl.

The bigger the stadium became, the more the big-screen TVs were needed to make folks feel closer to the action. It helps having them above the center of the field, which is typical for arenas but is a first for an NFL stadium.

The screens are so dominant it's easy to focus on them instead of the live action. To fend off complaints from people who bought tickets but may wind up watching the game on the overhead TVs, the boards will carry images from eight stadium-run cameras, offering views far beyond what the networks are showing.

"We want it to be a great source of entertainment ... that you can't get in a living room somewhere," Jones said. "When you leave, you won't know which way you saw it, all you know is that you had a different experience than any place else."

Another signature touch is both ends of the football-shaped building sliding open like patio doors. There are no permanent seats in front of those spots, just vast areas that are part of the stomping grounds for the "party pass."

Essentially, it's a $29 standing-room-only ticket, just not the cram-in-wherever-you-can kind. There are platforms for fans to hang out, drink and people watch while looking down at the field or up at the video boards. Jones is counting on those people to bring a college football atmosphere to the building.
"The concept here is, `Hey, when you build a stadium, you've got your premium (seats), but then have an area where more people can afford to come watch the Dallas Cowboys play than any stadium in the country,"' Jones said.

There's definitely an emphasis on premium seats.

Seat licenses range from $2,000 to $150,000, and that doesn't even count the tickets themselves, up to $340 each. The prices drew so much backlash that the team ran an ad campaign emphasizing tickets were available for less than people thought. They must have worked because the team says about 95 percent of its club and reserved tickets are sold, and about 280 of the roughly 320 luxury suites were sold.

One thing Jones didn't sell was naming rights.

He either couldn't get as much as he wanted or anyone who could afford it didn't want to be scorned for writing a check that big in the current economy. So, for this season at least, "Cowboys Stadium" it is. But he does have sponsorship deals with Ford, Miller beer, Pepsi, Dr Pepper, Bank of America and American Airlines.

There are still people who prefer names like Jerry World and Jones Mahal. While there's no doubt this will be as much Jones' legacy as the Super Bowl titles won during his tenure, he deflects the credit for the building. He insists this is a tribute to what the Cowboys have been and, he hopes, a reflection of what they will continue to be.
"Yes, we're proud of our building," Jones said. "More importantly, everybody that's got any Cowboys in them at all, have ever had it on them, I want them to walk in here and say, `That's my Dallas Cowboys.' That's what this is about."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/08/19/cowboys.stadium.ap/index.html?eref=si_topstories#ixzz0Oq8Z98HA

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-21-2009, 12:55 PM
lol Cowboys

O-Factor
08-21-2009, 01:30 PM
That stadium is going to awesome. Got tickets to Dallas/Philly on Jan. 3rd.

Hope its not another ass waxing like last year. That would suck.

J.T.
08-21-2009, 01:32 PM

Tony Romo's balls shrink into raisins as soon as the calendar hits December. I wouldn't get your hopes up.

to21
08-21-2009, 01:36 PM
We don't have our hopes up.....

We're Cowboy fans u homos.

O-Factor
08-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Tony Romo's balls shrink into raisins as soon as the calendar hits December. I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Actually the team's collective balls has shrunk past winter. This team hasn't faultered because of one singular person. The whole team decided to blow collectively. I think Wade and Garretts balls actually transform to ovaries.

Besides, new year and I will get my hopes up.

ATRAIN
08-21-2009, 02:05 PM
Actually the team's collective balls has shrunk past winter. This team hasn't faultered because of one singular person. The whole team decided to blow collectively. I think Wade and Garretts balls actually transform to ovaries.

Besides, new year and I will get my hopes up.

Wade is such a bitch, I cant believe he is a head coach.

manufan10
08-21-2009, 02:18 PM

:tu

Lucky bastard!

:lol

Spursfan092120
08-21-2009, 02:27 PM
After last season, we couldn't do much worse...Let's go Boys.

Dr. Gonzo
08-21-2009, 03:14 PM
You should be happy they were actually at 9-7. This season I see them at about 8-8, especially with that ridiculously tough schedule.

kamikazi_player
08-21-2009, 03:42 PM
lol and cue in the haters

kamikazi_player
08-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Prediction: Cowboys go 11-5 and take a wild card berth.

Spursfan092120
08-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Prediction: Cowboys go 11-5 and take a wild card berth.
My opinion? If they go 11-5, they'll have a bye.

Dr. Gonzo
08-21-2009, 04:15 PM
lol and cue in the haters

Why is it when somebody has a realistic and objective opinion they are considered haters?

I guess if someone doesn't predict them to be the greatest team and franchise in NFL history they are considered haters. That's what gets me about this bitch ass fan base.

bostonguy
08-21-2009, 04:23 PM
I see the boys going 8-8 and missing the playoffs. Though I could be wrong. I have been before.

kamikazi_player
08-21-2009, 04:27 PM
Why is it when somebody has a realistic and objective opinion they are considered haters?

I guess if someone doesn't predict them to be the greatest team and franchise in NFL history they are considered haters. That's what gets me about this bitch ass fan base.
lol you and a bunch of cowboys bashers have been bashing their QB, OL, and such the whole entire time. So don't give me that shit.

manufan10
08-21-2009, 04:28 PM

IMO this is what I think he means:

lol Cowboys

I don't mind people being objective, and I accept constructive criticism. To me a hater is someone that just bashes because they hate the team.

IMO, I see the Cowboys going 10-6. 11-5 wouldn't be too far fetched either, but I just think they'll finish 10-6.

manufan10
08-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Looking forward to the first look of the new stadium tonight. :toast

Get ya popcorn ready!

:corn:

benefactor
08-21-2009, 05:20 PM
lol Cowboys
lol

samikeyp
08-21-2009, 05:20 PM

Why is it if someone has a realistic and objective opinion referring to their team they are considered homers?

It works both ways and the logic is equally flawed.

Spursfan092120
08-21-2009, 05:24 PM

saying things like "bitch ass fan base" isn't going to help your "poor me" post. Most of the Cowboys fans in here completely agreed with what you said. One person says one negative thing about your comment, and you say we're all bitches? That's completely ignorant, Steven. Oh, and "lol Cowboys" is not a realistic and objective opinion.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-21-2009, 06:53 PM
lol

Cowboys

manufan10
08-21-2009, 07:09 PM
Damn, I'm in awe of the stadium! :wow

manufan10
08-21-2009, 07:16 PM
Anyone know what happened to Danny Amendola?

Spursfan092120
08-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Anyone know what happened to Danny Amendola?
unfortunately, I think he's on Philly's practice squad.

J.T.
08-21-2009, 07:20 PM

Oh shit now Philly knows your playbook!

samikeyp
08-21-2009, 07:20 PM

He played last night for them.

manufan10
08-21-2009, 07:34 PM

I liked some of the things I saw from last year. Glad he's trying for another team.

He played last night for them.

How did he do?

Spursfan092120
08-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Damn Special teams..wtf...

manufan10
08-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Nice stand by the defense.

Spursfan092120
08-21-2009, 07:43 PM
Nice stand by the defense.
yeah..if our special teams could do halfway decent, it'd still be a shutout right now. :(

leemajors
08-21-2009, 07:54 PM
the titans should have saved the oiler jerseys for this game.

Spursfan092120
08-21-2009, 07:59 PM
Columbo doesn't fuck up and we get a first down..instead we don't get shit.

Spursfan092120
08-21-2009, 08:03 PM
Defense is looking strong.

samikeyp
08-21-2009, 08:06 PM
the titans should have saved the oiler jerseys for this game.

Agreed.

Do they still do the whole "Governor's Cup" thing with the Texans like they do with the Oilers?

manufan10
08-21-2009, 08:07 PM
Agreed.

Do they still do the whole "Governor's Cup" thing with the Texans like they do with the Oilers?

Yeah I think they do.

samikeyp
08-21-2009, 08:08 PM
I liked some of the things I saw from last year. Glad he's trying for another team.

How did he do?

1 catch, 5 yards.

Spursfan092120
08-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Stupid mistakes...we should be up 14-3 with the ball right now

manufan10
08-21-2009, 08:13 PM
Agreed.

Since I'm a wikipedia fan boy: :lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governor%27s_Cup_%28Texas%29#Governor.27s_Cup_resu lts_since_2002

Last year the Cowboys won the Governor's Cup beating the Texans 23-22.

manufan10
08-21-2009, 08:21 PM
Ok another question.. :lol

Does the new stadium have a Ring of Honor?

Spursfan092120
08-21-2009, 08:24 PM
Ok another question.. :lol

Does the new stadium have a Ring of Honor?
I'm pretty sure it does.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
08-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Sooooo....

you spend $1.2 Billion and you can't put the video screen high enough so the ball doesn't hit it on a punt?

Spursfan092120
08-21-2009, 08:33 PM
Sooooo....

you spend $1.2 Billion and you can't put the video screen high enough so the ball doesn't hit it on a punt?
no shit...lol...hopefully they can raise it up or something..it's on wires, I think. Offense looked great on that drive.

mardigan
08-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Same old Cowboy bullshit. Stupid penalties, dropped balls, lack of focus, missed scoring opportunities. This team will continue to underachieve until coaching changes are made. Hell, maybe until ol Jurry is gone.The d looked good at times, and Romo looked really good, but I still just dont trust this team.

Spursfan092120
08-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Same old Cowboy bullshit. Stupid penalties, dropped balls, lack of focus, missed scoring opportunities. This team will continue to underachieve until coaching changes are made. Hell, maybe until ol Jurry is gone.The d looked good at times, and Romo looked really good, but I still just dont trust this team.
I hope the new running philosophy changes this.

manufan10
08-21-2009, 08:53 PM
Even under Parcells the Cowboys made stupid penalties. Not really defending Phillips, I like him as a coordinator but I want Cowher to coach this team. However, the penalties were like this long before Wade was coach.

Spursfan092120
08-21-2009, 08:57 PM
Even under Parcells the Cowboys made stupid penalties. Not really defending Phillips, I like him as a coordinator but I want Cowher to coach this team. However, the penalties were like this long before Wade was coach.
coaches I'd like to be our HC next year...in order

http://nysuperblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/bill-cowher.jpg
or
http://s2nblog.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/coachratfink.jpg
or
http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/Mike Holmgren_0.jpg

manufan10
08-21-2009, 08:57 PM
Sooooo....

They were purposely trying to hit it. During a game, I don't think anyone will try to hit it so I don't think it will be a problem.

Spursfan092120
08-21-2009, 08:58 PM
They were purposely trying to hit it. During a game, I don't think anyone will try to hit it so I don't think it will be a problem.
lol...yeah..Jerry Jones went out there to talk to the Titan's punter..lol...pretty hilarious. And fucking Kitna overthrew Austin..how the hell do you overthrow Austin?

Spursfan092120
08-21-2009, 09:03 PM
punt hit the damn scoreboard..lol

manufan10
08-21-2009, 09:04 PM
:lmao

I guess I cursed it. Well then I guess they need to move it up.. :lol

Spursfan092120
08-21-2009, 09:05 PM
:lmao

I guess I cursed it. Well then I guess they need to move it up.. :lol
yeah...it's on wires I think..they should be able to move it up.

manufan10
08-21-2009, 09:10 PM
"Fall start on everyone but the center." :lmao

Spursfan092120
08-21-2009, 09:10 PM
Kitna fucking sucks.

manufan10
08-21-2009, 09:13 PM
When I went to training camp last week there were some guys sitting behind me saying that Stephen McGee should be the starting QB. :lol

manufan10
08-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Kitna fucking sucks.

Better than Brad "my arm sucks" Johnson. :toast

Spursfan092120
08-21-2009, 09:21 PM
Better than Brad "my arm sucks" Johnson. :toast
Yeah..but right now, I'd rather McGee be in the game than Kitna...I mean..don't get me wrong..I shouldn't say he sucks..he's not bad...but I just want to see McGee...dude has a cannon...

Spursfan092120
08-21-2009, 09:22 PM
Bennett is a manbeast.

Spursfan092120
08-21-2009, 09:25 PM
At least our second unit is looking a LOT better than they did against Oakland...except for Cory Prostrate...that dude pisses me off..

Spursfan092120
08-21-2009, 09:26 PM
Damn...good throw Kitna...my bad, bro..lol

Spursfan092120
08-21-2009, 09:27 PM
Helluva one handed catch by Ogletree...Kitna's already startin to prove me wrong...good. And Ogletree ain't bad for an undrafted free agent. :tu

manufan10
08-21-2009, 09:30 PM
Very nice catch.

Spursfan092120
08-21-2009, 09:30 PM
Very nice catch.
definitely

manufan10
08-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Poor Vince Young. :depressed

Spursfan092120
08-21-2009, 09:33 PM
Poor Vince Young. :depressed
I know...I love the guy...nice guy...got his autograph....I wish he had gotten to play with the first team..

manufan10
08-21-2009, 09:50 PM
:wow

What a catch by 4th and Long winner Jesse Holley.

manufan10
08-21-2009, 09:57 PM
I hope they keep this guy Kareem Lattimore. If not, I hope he makes a team. This kid has some skill. I like what I see out of him.

Spursfan092120
08-21-2009, 10:04 PM
I hope they keep this guy Kareem Lattimore. If not, I hope he makes a team. This kid has some skill. I like what I see out of him.
He'll be on the practice squad...that's Ray Lewis' brother.

Spursfan092120
08-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Dallas looked really good tonight...too many penalties...but overall, not bad.

manufan10
08-21-2009, 10:13 PM
I wonder why Isaiah Stanback didn't see very much action...

O-Factor
08-22-2009, 12:45 AM
When I went to training camp last week there were some guys sitting behind me saying that Stephen McGee should be the starting QB. :lol

A&M fans are funny that way.

manufan10
08-22-2009, 02:33 AM
A&M fans are funny that way.

I'm an A&M fan, but no way should McGee start. Romo is the QB of this team, and he's a damn good QB.

samikeyp
08-22-2009, 07:53 AM

Oh so they were selling beer at training camp. :)

samikeyp
08-22-2009, 07:55 AM
Overall I liked the effort but its preseason so I won't get too excited.

Jerryworld rocks though. :tu

Spursfan092120
08-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Overall I liked the effort but its preseason so I won't get too excited.

Jerryworld rocks though. :tu
Agreed...but it was obvious this game meant a little more to both teams than just a basic preseason game. Dallas wanted to win to open the stadium and Tennessee wanted to be the team to beat them in their stadium opener...both teams played their starters through the first half..

samikeyp
08-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Agreed...but it was obvious this game meant a little more to both teams than just a basic preseason game. Dallas wanted to win to open the stadium and Tennessee wanted to be the team to beat them in their stadium opener...both teams played their starters through the first half..

I disagree. Its possible but I doubt it. Staying healthy and getting ready for the season are first and foremost.

Spursfan092120
08-22-2009, 04:39 PM
I disagree. Its possible but I doubt it. Staying healthy and getting ready for the season are first and foremost.
I definitely agree that staying healthy and getting ready is most important. But going by what all the players and coaches were saying, this game was very important to both teams. Tennessee because they wanted to knock Dallas off in the new stadium, and Dallas because they wanted a victory in the first game.

samikeyp
08-22-2009, 04:44 PM
I definitely agree that staying healthy and getting ready is most important. But going by what all the players and coaches were saying, this game was very important to both teams. Tennessee because they wanted to knock Dallas off in the new stadium, and Dallas because they wanted a victory in the first game.

If it were a regular season game, then that would make sense. I imagine the Giants will be thinking that in Game 2 this season.

Spursfan092120
08-22-2009, 04:45 PM
If it were a regular season game, then that would make sense. I imagine the Giants will be thinking that in Game 2 this season.
I'm sure they will...and I hope we get the same outcome. :D

Death In June
08-22-2009, 04:47 PM
I wonder why Isaiah Stanback didn't see very much action...Because he can't run, catch, or return kicks very well?

manufan10
08-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Because he can't run, catch, or return kicks very well?

Possibly. I wonder if the Cowboys are going to keep Ogletree and let Stanback go.

Spursfan092120
08-22-2009, 04:53 PM
Possibly. I wonder if the Cowboys are going to keep Ogletree and let Stanback go.
I don't know. Things aren't looking well for Stanback right now..he really needed to step up last night, and they didn't even give him much of a chance to. And I know they love Ogletree...I could see that happening.

manufan10
08-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Ogletree's one handed touchdown grab will help his case.

Spursfan092120
08-22-2009, 05:32 PM
definitely

O-Factor
08-22-2009, 10:20 PM
I'm an A&M fan, but no way should McGee start. Romo is the QB of this team, and he's a damn good QB.

I know, just ribbing a bit :toast

O-Factor
08-22-2009, 10:22 PM

Scandrick has to be cut. Ogletree has completely outplayed him

Spursfan092120
08-22-2009, 10:28 PM
Scandrick has to be cut. Ogletree has completely outplayed him
Scandrick?? They're at different positions...and Orlando's played beautifully. what are you talking about? Do you mean Stanback?

manufan10
08-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Scandrick?? They're at different positions...and Orlando's played beautifully. what are you talking about? Do you mean Stanback?

I think he means Stanback. I agree too, although I think that I wouldn't make a decision until after the final preseason game. Give both of them some extra snaps and see what they can do.

O-Factor
08-24-2009, 05:24 PM

Lol. Shit. Horrible mistake on my part. I ment STANback.

I love Scandrick. I think he should start over Jenkins IMHO.

Spursfan092120
08-24-2009, 05:52 PM
Lol. Shit. Horrible mistake on my part. I ment STANback.

I love Scandrick. I think he should start over Jenkins IMHO.
It's going to be a battle.

manufan10
08-26-2009, 10:01 PM
I know this is why many posters on here hate the Cowboys, but I thought it was funny when I saw it:

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n246/MissDinaDee/Dallas%20Cowboys/DallasCowboys1.jpg

Spursfan092120
08-26-2009, 10:32 PM
I know this is why many posters on here hate the Cowboys, but I thought it was funny when I saw it:

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n246/MissDinaDee/Dallas%20Cowboys/DallasCowboys1.jpg
:lmao:lmao
lol...yeah..definitely funny...and now everyone will hate us more...

O-Factor
08-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Its sucks Roy is out for the rest of pre-season, but Im loving what Im loving the physical play Im seeing and hearing from Scandrick!

Spursfan092120
08-29-2009, 07:12 PM
Kevin Ogletree looking strong...seems to be Romo's favorite target tonight...that bodes well for him in the season.

Spursfan092120
08-29-2009, 09:59 PM
Courtney Brown...damn...what a doofus...probably took this game away from us tonight...

Death In June
08-29-2009, 10:02 PM
Brown messed up my numbers, lost me $500. Asshole. Also, Stanback sucks at everything.

Whisky Dog
08-29-2009, 10:05 PM
Courtney Brown won't be around next cuts.

The guys who won't make the Cowboys suck a lot more than the guys who won't make the 49ers.

Romo turned back into chuck and heave int. machine for a couple of throws but then corrected on the next drive. Hopefully that Romo stays underground this season.

1st team defense looked good for 2nd straight game against a subpar to mediocre offense. The 1st team offense needs to be more consistent finishing good drives.

Fillmoe
08-29-2009, 10:10 PM
http://www.giftsandfreeadvice.com/free_advice/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/sanfran.jpg

Spursfan092120
08-29-2009, 10:15 PM
http://www.giftsandfreeadvice.com/free_advice/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/sanfran.jpg
lol preseason

Fillmoe
08-29-2009, 10:21 PM
lol no shit capt obvious....

Obstructed_View
08-30-2009, 02:04 PM
I would consider the immediate release of Stanback and Curvin Richards, I mean Courtney Brown, a good sign.

Spursfan092120
08-30-2009, 07:52 PM
I would consider the immediate release of Stanback and Curvin Richards, I mean Courtney Brown, a good sign.
I'd love to see them shove a boot up Cory Procter's ass too..

TMSKILZ
08-30-2009, 11:02 PM
Go Cowboys Go!

mardigan
08-30-2009, 11:03 PM
I'd love to see them shove a boot up Cory Procter's ass too..

Bro, they cant break up the band.

Spursfan092120
08-31-2009, 12:29 AM
Bro, they cant break up the band.
Fuck that..Procter can't put the ball in the hands of our QB...too many fumbles.

Obstructed_View
08-31-2009, 09:52 AM
Center/QB exchanges are tough. Preseason's a time to work on that shit. Falling asleep in a critical stretch at the end of a game and being out of position when a guy throws a desperation pass out of the end zone is just unforgivable, as is being a mutton headed failure as both a return man as well as a receiver for three years.

manufan10
08-31-2009, 10:00 AM
Center/QB exchanges are tough. Preseason's a time to work on that shit. Falling asleep in a critical stretch at the end of a game and being out of position when a guy throws a desperation pass out of the end zone is just unforgivable, as is being a mutton headed failure as both a return man as well as a receiver for three years.

I'll cut Courtney Brown some slack, since he just converted to CB. I'll take that as a failed experiment. Stanback, on the other hand, has failed all together. He hasn't shown anything, except for one semi-good return, to prove he belongs on this team. I'd rather go with 5 WR's with Ogletree as #5, then try to go with 6 and leave the team shorthanded somewhere else.

Whisky Dog
08-31-2009, 10:06 AM
Remember a few seasons ago when Mickey Spagnola was all wet over this phenom named Stanback? Great call there Mick, the guy flat out blows.

manufan10
08-31-2009, 10:17 AM
He must be a great practice guy or something. I don't know what made them keep the guy around. I guess they saw "potential" in him, but I haven't seen anything special.

Obstructed_View
08-31-2009, 07:28 PM
Remember a few seasons ago when Mickey Spagnola was all wet over this phenom named Stanback? Great call there Mick, the guy flat out blows.

Everybody's been so enamored with his talent that they've completely failed to see that he can't actually play. It's not just Spagnola, since the kid's been making teams he shouldn't have for a few years now.

SpuronyourFace
09-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Felix Jones won't return punts (http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/09/felix-jones-wont-return-punts.html)

http://dmn.beloblog.com/mt-static/support/uploads/dmoore.jpg (http://www.cowboys-forum.com/authors.html#David Moore/Reporter) 10:53 AM Wed, Sep 02, 2009 | Permalink (http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/09/felix-jones-wont-return-punts.html) | Buzz up! (http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzz?publisherurn=&guid=)Yahoo! Buzz (http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzz?publisherurn=dallas_morning&guid=http%3A%2F%2Fcowboysblog.dallasnews.com%2Farc hives%2F2009%2F09%2Ffelix-jones-wont-return-punts.html%3Fnpc)
David Moore/Reporter http://www.dallasnews.com/blogs/images/bio-icon.jpg Bio (http://www.cowboys-forum.com/authors.html#David Moore/Reporter) | http://www.dallasnews.com/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail ([email protected]) | http://www.dallasnews.com/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

The Cowboys experimented with Felix Jones returning punts this off-season.
That experiment has been put on hold.

Special teams coach Joe DeCamillis said that Patrick Crayton and Terence Newman will return punts when the Cowboys open the regular season in Tampa Bay. Jones will continue to field some punts in practice but won't be part of the game rotation.

"We've kind of ditched that a little bit because he's not comfortable catching them back there,'' DeCamillis said. "But as the season goes on, if he becomes more comfortable, we will. We're still going to work him there.''

Jones will be used to return kickoffs along with Miles Austin.

SpuronyourFace
09-02-2009, 01:23 PM
I like Felix strictly returning kickoffs only

manufan10
09-02-2009, 02:15 PM
I don't know, if he gets comfortable returning punts, then I'd like to see him there too. The more you can get the playmakers the ball, the better the outcome. I think he'd be a lightning bolt on punt returns.

If he gets more involved in special teams that would give some more opportunity to Choice in running the ball.

Obstructed_View
09-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Nice to see that Terrence Newman will be earning his keep, but having a china doll returning punts doesn't seem wise. Of course, not having more depth at the corner position doesn't seem terribly wise either.

manufan10
09-04-2009, 09:45 AM
We begin today's column with a simple question: What in the world has happened to the Dallas Cowboys (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=dal)?

In one offseason, they've gone from being the most compelling locker room in professional sports to the most mundane. After watching a couple episodes of "Hard Knocks," I've even looked at real estate in the greater Cincinnati area. Last season, more than 50 reporters would show up at Valley Ranch on days when quarterback Tony Romo (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5209) and Terrell Owens (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1056) held dueling news conferences. On Wednesday, I walked into the locker room and noticed a dozen reporters milling around looking for scraps.

With the Cowboys' version of the Rat Pack -- T.O., Pacman and Tank -- gone, the locker room has taken on an entirely different vibe. Romo remains the headliner, but he has disappointed the editors of US Weekly and People with at least one recent decision. Before the Cowboys' quarterback made his weekly appearance Wednesday, reporters flocked to hear what former fifth-round cornerback Orlando Scandrick (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11366) had to say. Just think what it will be like if Scandrick becomes a starter.

Meanwhile, the rest of the division is in turmoil. In the Meadowlands, Pro Bowl defensive end Osi Umenyiora (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4514) vanished without a trace after new defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan reportedly had the audacity to criticize him during a film session Monday. In an embarrassing scene, the ultimate disciplinarian, Tom Coughlin, could only tell reporters that his missing defensive end had been found via text. Umenyiora quickly returned to the property and apologized, but it was still an episode that would've fit better at Valley Ranch in '08.

In Philly, the Eagles continue to deliver the "nothing to see here" message as Michael Vick (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=2549) prepares to be the backup to the most insecure star quarterback in the league. Donovan McNabb (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1753) was complaining Monday that Vick's six snaps interrupted the offense's rhythm in a preseason game against the Jaguars. And in my opinion, that's simply a precursor to Vick interrupting McNabb's hold on the starting job at some point this season. People who think that Vick will be satisfied with a handful of Wildcat plays (and there are plenty in the national media) haven't followed the man's career. He's one of the game's most fierce competitors and he hasn't been shy about stating his goal to become a starter again.

And it's not as if everything was going smoothly in Eagles camp before Vick arrived. The death of defensive coordinator Jim Johnson certainly took an emotional toll on the team, but the impact could also show up on the field. By all accounts, 35-year-old Sean McDermott is a worthy successor to Johnson, but so far the results haven't been there in the preseason.

For their part, the Redskins have spent the past month attempting to restore faith in starting quarterback Jason Campbell (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8440). Judging by the actions of owner Dan Snyder and his trusty sidekick Vinny Cerrato, I think it's fair to say that coach Jim Zorn's and Campbell's jobs are both on the line this season. It's playoffs or bust for these two, which is a dicey proposition in what is arguably the most competitive division in the league. Right now, the Redskins are dealing with another adversary: The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/02/AR2009090203887.html). A story in Thursday's newspaper provides details of how the club has sued more than 100 season-ticket holders who asked to be released from multiyear contracts over the past five years. The Redskins fired off a preemptive press release attacking the story's credibility Wednesday evening.

So what's going on in Dallas? Other than punters aiming for Jerry Jones' gigantic big screen, everything's pretty quiet. Jones thinks the biggest motivating factor in '09 will be his new $1.2 billion stadium. In his annual state-of-the-team address on the opening day of training camp, Jones said he thought his team would "play to the level of the stadium."

And after last year's drama that included allegations of Romo and road-trip roomie Jason Witten (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4527) having pillow talk behind T.O.' s back, this appears to be the most stable locker room in the division. When I broached that subject with wide receiver Miles Austin (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10147) on Wednesday, he started laughing.

"It's sort of nice not to have our names in the papers for all that stuff right now," Austin said. "I don't know about all the other locker rooms because I'm only in this one. But this locker room has a much different feel right now. I think guys are all about football, and that's a good thing."

We all remember how the '08 season ended for Romo. He tried to lend some perspective to a loss (to the Eagles) that didn't deserve any, and he's still paying for those comments. But he looked like a different quarterback during training camp in San Antonio. He still played with the same carefree spirit that energized the club in '06, but he also was willing to hold his teammates accountable. Players such as Austin and Patrick Crayton (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5741) were a little taken aback when Romo got in their face, but they know it's a positive sign. And like Austin, Romo's relishing the fact the Cowboys are flying under the radar -- by their standards.

"In the last few years, this is probably the first time that we feel, not that we're being overlooked, but some of you guys have decided to take other teams in the division or in the conference and things of that nature," Romo said recently. "That's a different role, playing that kind of role -- not that that serves you good or bad. It's just a little different in that regard."

After what the Cowboys went through last season, I think the peace and quiet in the locker room could serve them very well.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/2721/are-the-cowboys-the-most-stable-team-in-the-beast

manufan10
09-04-2009, 09:47 AM
The Bucs have fired their O-Coordinator, and they are the Cowboys first game of the season.

manufan10
09-04-2009, 09:51 AM
According to a Thursday evening report by CBS 11-TV in Dallas, the Cowboys have reached a solution in the battle for their starting right cornerback job.

Second-year corners Mike Jenkins and Orlando Scandrick will alternate as starters until one player gets hot or distances himself. The plan was explained to the two contenders Thursday during a sitdown with coaches.

"[T]hey wanted to keep the battle going apparently," Jenkins told the station.

Jenkins will start the season-opener at Tampa Bay, and Scandrick will run with the first team at home in Week 2 against New York. No matter who the starter is, both players will see extended playing time on nickel packages. Scandrick will cover the opposing slot receiver, a role he will keep even if he starts.

Wade Phillips was asked Wednesday about the possibility of platooning the players in a different fashion, alternating them during the game.

"There's different ways to do it certainly," Phillips said. "We'll work it out."

http://www.truebluefanclub.com/blogs/josh_ellis.cfm?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&userid=8ad9a5ae-68fd-47d1-a7d7-e4c8fcb84090&plckPostId=Blog%3a8ad9a5ae-68fd-47d1-a7d7-e4c8fcb84090Post%3a710fafed-e3a1-490e-96aa-373828c56915&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

SpuronyourFace
09-04-2009, 01:07 PM
^I kind of like this, but only a matter of time before Scandrick beats out Jenkins. Im glad we have them both though.

Whisky Dog
09-04-2009, 08:41 PM
The Cowboys Scrubs SUCK. Stanback - SUCK. McQuistan - SUCK. Doug Free - SUCK. Kitna - SUCK. The only players on that field that don't suck tonight are Bennett and Choice. And Ogletree.

samikeyp
09-04-2009, 09:13 PM
The Cowboys Scrubs SUCK. Stanback - SUCK. McQuistan - SUCK. Doug Free - SUCK. Kitna - SUCK. The only players on that field that don't suck tonight are Bennett and Choice. And Ogletree.

Watkins has played well.

manufan10
09-04-2009, 09:23 PM

I'll take Kitna over Johnson. Some of the throws Kitna made, I don't think Johnson could have made. Watkins has played a hell of a game as well.

samikeyp
09-04-2009, 09:24 PM
I'll take Kitna over Johnson. Some of the throws Kitna made, I don't think Johnson could have made. Watkins has played a hell of a game as well.

true...Kitna is a big upgrade.

Anyone know why McGee isn't playing?

manufan10
09-04-2009, 09:30 PM
true...Kitna is a big upgrade.

Anyone know why McGee isn't playing?

He has a sprained MCL. Hurt it against the Titans, so they've kept him out the rest of preseason.

Spursfan092120
09-04-2009, 09:31 PM
It's not like Kitna is throwing to great receivers tonight.

samikeyp
09-04-2009, 09:32 PM
He has a sprained MCL. Hurt it against the Titans, so they've kept him out the rest of preseason.

Ahh...so not just because he's an Aggie. :)

samikeyp
09-04-2009, 09:36 PM
I am watching the game on the NFL Network and they are using the Vikings feed. If I have to hear the color guy say once more that he was a 10th round pick who was cut I am going to stab someone in the neck. :)

manufan10
09-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Ahh...so not just because he's an Aggie. :)

Spursfan092120
09-04-2009, 09:39 PM
I am watching the game on the NFL Network and they are using the Vikings feed. If I have to hear the color guy say once more that he was a 10th round pick who was cut I am going to stab someone in the neck. :)
This is why I love My 35....Cowboys Feed in High Def. :)

manufan10
09-04-2009, 10:04 PM
Jesse Holley returning a punt for a TD.. that was a great/weird play.

samikeyp
09-04-2009, 10:14 PM

That was good stuff though.

manufan10
09-04-2009, 10:15 PM
That was good stuff though.

Yeah it was.

Spursfan092120
09-04-2009, 10:24 PM
I really like Jesse...I lost my freaking mind on that play..lol

Spursfan092120
09-04-2009, 11:46 PM
how did rudy johnson look? stats are good

rita929 made me turn off the game halfway through
Do you mean Carpenter? He looked good. Had a touchdown drive, with 3 third down conversions. He won't make this team, but I'm sure he'll get a shot somewhere else.

Spursfan092120
09-05-2009, 12:34 AM
how is that not better than anything mcgee will ever do
half of those yards came on a hail mary thrown in the middle of a crowd that Phillips got lucky and grabbed. McGee is a better QB than Carpenter. He does not throw the ball hard and would be completely dissected by 1st team defenses. He also throws to the flats too much. Doesn't seem to have a lot of confidence. McGee throws harder and with more confidence...

manufan10
09-05-2009, 02:10 AM
SmBmpdcnnUU

Obstructed_View
09-05-2009, 01:10 PM
A few thoughts from last night's game.

Bye Stanback. Hopefully you ride Brown out of town.

The Scandrick/Jenkins competition is a carrot for Jenkins. He's got talent but he doesn't really work all that hard and doesn't seem to care. Scandrick isn't going to stop competing until you kill him. This is as close as the team can come to splicing the two guys together to make a really good corner.

The difference between Dave Campo winning five games and Bill Parcells winning ten games was the difference between a disorganized sloppy stupid team and a disciplined team that makes good decisions. Seeing Dave Campo standing at Wade's right hand isn't the only thing that reminds me of those five win teams.

The Cowboys defense has a lot of talent, but they have just as little heart as they've always had. The offense needs to figure out a way to score 21 points in the first quarter and then go on eight minute drives for the rest of the game if they want to win.

The director of the Cowboys broadcast just needs to jerk off to his picture of Bobby Carpenter before the games from now on. Seeing a close up of BC after every play, whether he was involved or not, got really annoying.

I'm not worried about the WR rotation in the least, and don't particularly care if Roy Williams comes back or not.

BlackSwordsMan
09-05-2009, 02:25 PM
SmBmpdcnnUU

was about to ask who won the dallas thing on spike
answered my question

mardigan
09-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Stanback Among Saturday's Cuts
Posted by nickeatman at 9/5/2009 4:41 PM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

The Cowboys have turned in their roster cuts to the NFL, and among the big names include wide receivers Isaiah Stanback and Jesse Holley, who scored the winning touchdown Friday night in Minnesota, and late-round draft picks DeAngelo Smith and Mike Mickens, a pair of defensive backs from the University of Cincinnati.

In all, the Cowboys released 22 players and put another on injured reserve. That actually puts the roster at 52 players. It’s likely the Cowboys will claim another player on Sunday.

Stanback, a fourth-round pick in 2007, has struggled to stay healthy and transition himself as a receiver from a quarterback in college. He has just two reception in two injury-plagued seasons.

Not on this list is rookie wide receiver Kevin Ogletree, the only undrafted player to make the team. Ogletree scored two touchdowns in the preseason, including the first of five scores by the Cowboys in Friday’s 35-31 preseason win over the Vikings.

Other so-called “bubble” guys that have made it for now include guards Cory Procter and Montrae Holland and nose tackle Junior Siavii, who hasn’t played an NFL game since 2006.

The Cowboys decided to move rookie linebacker Stephen Hodge to injured reserve. The sixth-round pick from TCU never fully recovered from a knee injury that required surgery in July. Hodge joins Robert Brewster and Brandon Williams among draft picks that will be lost for the 2009 season.

Here’s a list of the cuts and roster moves made on Saturday:

Injured Reserve:
Stephen Hodge

Waived:
Travis Bright
Courtney Brown
Rudy Carpenter
Scott Chandler
Julius Crosslin
Marcus Dixon
Tearrius George
Ryan Gibbons
Jeremy Haynes
Jesse Holley
Mike Jefferson
Manuel Johnson
Keon Lattimore (waived/injured)
Mike Mickens
Willie Reid
Derreck Robinson
Asaph Schwapp
Jonas Seawright
DeAngelo Smith
Isaiah Stanback
Matt Stewart
DeAngelo Willingham

http://www.truebluefanclub.com/blogs/writers_block.cfm?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&userid=6f720d98-095f-4c2b-9bbb-88639ea813cb&plckPostId=Blog%3a6f720d98-095f-4c2b-9bbb-88639ea813cbPost%3adcf74226-84ef-4e0c-af04-13333e0c9a65&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

manufan10
09-05-2009, 09:09 PM
I thought the release of Mickens/Deangelo Smith was surprising. The others didn't really have a chance. Hopefully they'll sneak some of these guys onto the practice squad. They have one roster spot open, so I wonder if they'll pick up a veteran guy.

badfish22
09-06-2009, 01:48 AM
It pains my heart to know that spur fans, the same fans that say things like "Hey, I bet the dUllas Mavericks are gonna suk tHiS year lolz!!!1", are fans of the DALLAS Cowboys.

Spursfan092120
09-06-2009, 01:54 AM
It pains my heart to know that spur fans, the same fans that say things like "Hey, I bet the dUllas Mavericks are gonna suk tHiS year lolz!!!1, are fans of the DALLAS Cowboys.
The Mavs are a local team. The Cowboys are international.

Spursfan092120
09-06-2009, 12:09 PM
Just wanted to post this because I thought it was ridiculous...

http://nooffseason.com/player-news/cowboys-cut-four-receivers.html
Cowboys cut four receivers

September 5, 2009 at 8:41 pm | Article by Rototimes | http://nooffseason.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-print/images/print.gif (http://nooffseason.com/player-news/cowboys-cut-four-receivers.html/print/) Print This Page (http://nooffseason.com/player-news/cowboys-cut-four-receivers.html/print/) |

The News
Isaiah Stanback has been cut by the Cowboys, according to Adam Schefter's twitter page (http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter). The club also released fellow receivers Willie Reid, Mike Jefferson and Jesse Holley.

Our View
Stanback is a great athlete and fared very well in training camp, but the Cowboys were undecided if he fits as a receiver or at another position. The other three receivers were not expected to make the team.
-----------
What the hell training camp were THEY watching?

samikeyp
09-06-2009, 05:12 PM
It pains my heart to know that spur fans, the same fans that say things like "Hey, I bet the dUllas Mavericks are gonna suk tHiS year lolz!!!1, are fans of the DALLAS Cowboys.

Its not a city thing, its a team thing.

Spursfan092120
09-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Its not a city thing, its a team thing.
:tu

badfish22
09-06-2009, 05:22 PM
The Mavs are a local team. The Cowboys are international.

There both dallas teams......

I get that SA doesn't have a FB team, so its cool if Spur fans are Cowboys fans (as much as I hate it).

But don't go making fun of our city in March and April, then root foot for the Dallas Cowboys in the fall.

samikeyp
09-06-2009, 05:26 PM

I get that SA doesn't have a FB team, so its cool if Spur fans are Cowboys fans (as much as I hate it).

But don't go making fun of our city in March and April, then root foot for the Dallas Cowboys in the fall.

City smack runs from both sides. IMO, its a bitch move no matter who does it.

Spursfan092120
09-06-2009, 05:32 PM

Now first off, I don't make fun of the city of Dallas..never have. I make fun of the Mavs..that's it...I think it's stupid to make fun of the city of a rival. You can tell your buddy Mark Cuban I said that. It's usually Dallas fans making fun of the Riverwalk, not Spurs fans making fun of Dallas.

manufan10
09-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Holley and Carpenter made the practice squad.

Spursfan092120
09-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Holley and Carpenter made the practice squad.
Nice...I was hoping they would. Both of them have potential.

manufan10
09-07-2009, 11:32 AM
The Cowboys knew they would be adding someone to the roster when they trimmed down to 52, one spot below the NFL minimum.
That player became Marvin White, a safety released by the Bengals on Saturday. White, a two-year veteran who started 13 games in the last two seasons, had 58 tackles and an interception last year in Cincinnati.
White, a former TCU standout, is expected to add some depth at safety. Behind starters Ken Hamlin and Gerald Sensabaugh, only Pat Watkins would be ready for Sunday’s game in Tamp Bay. Fifth-round pick Mike Hamlin made the team but is out for another 2-4 weeks with a broken wrist.
The Cowboys decide against keeping fifth-round pick DeAngelo Smith, who played both safety and corner. But Smith wasn’t particularly great at either spot and was cut on Saturday. The Cowboys had interest in signing him to the practice squad but Smith was claimed off waivers by the Browns.

http://www.truebluefanclub.com/blogs/nick_eatman.cfm?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&userid=1990bfd1-c6a9-4728-af3f-a229e85b981c&plckPostId=Blog%3a1990bfd1-c6a9-4728-af3f-a229e85b981cPost%3a56ae960c-4896-45ae-91be-3950f5dc91e3&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

Whisky Dog
09-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Good safety pick up, I was expecting them to find O line help off cuts and get rid of Proctor or maybe McQuistan.

O-Factor
09-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Good safety pick up, I was expecting them to find O line help off cuts and get rid of Proctor or maybe McQuistan.

Wow, Im absolutly suprised Proctor is still on the team. Guess. Columbo and Davis(bandmates) spoke up for him, lol.

manufan10
09-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Stanback got signed to New England's practice squad. They signed him on to be a QB. Good luck to him.

http://www.truebluefanclub.com/blogs/josh_ellis.cfm?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&userid=8ad9a5ae-68fd-47d1-a7d7-e4c8fcb84090&plckPostId=Blog%3a8ad9a5ae-68fd-47d1-a7d7-e4c8fcb84090Post%3abe7aff60-8fd1-4696-9814-2bc836e8383e&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

Obstructed_View
09-08-2009, 11:56 AM
People can root for the Cowboys and say whatever the fuck they want about Dallas. City smack is the kind of thing that Maverick fans do, which is exactly why people say what they do about Dallas. One would think fans from Dallas would be more sensitive to that since we're the ones who killed Kennedy.

SpuronyourFace
09-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Dallas Cowboys greats Staubach, White, Aikman know what Romo is going through

06:11 AM CDT on Wednesday, September 9, 2009

By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected] ([email protected])

More than anyone else, Danny White knows what life is like for Tony Romo.
In 1980, White replaced Roger Staubach as the Cowboys' starting quarterback and every move was analyzed. Every throw was met with a "What would Roger have done?" thought. Every interception was met with a "Roger wouldn't have thrown that."
The Cowboys went 12-4 but finished second in the NFC East to Philadelphia on a tiebreaker (fewer net points in division games). White threw a franchise-record 28 touchdown passes and led the Cowboys to the NFC Championship Game.
They made it to the next two conference title games, too, but never made it to a Super Bowl in White's tenure as the quarterback.
In other cities, he would have been revered. Not in Dallas.
"All that gets magnified in any city in the NFL," White said. "You're under a microscope as a quarterback. For the quarterback in Dallas, Texas, it's an electron microscope. That's the biggest difference. It's just a bigger deal to the people in Dallas than anyplace else."
As Romo enters his third full season as the Cowboys' starting quarterback, he is no longer viewed by some as worthy of sitting at the same table as Staubach and Troy Aikman, but rather as another Danny White.
"If you look at what Danny accomplished, it was significant," said Staubach, who first informed his wife of his retirement plans following the 1979 season and then called White. "I told him, 'I think you're ready.' I wouldn't have retired if Danny White wasn't there to take over because we still had a very good team at that time."

Cowboys royalty

The Cowboys quarterbacking legacy casts an intimidating shadow that would make it difficult for anyone to succeed. Busts of Staubach and Aikman reside in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Their names grace the Cowboys Ring of Honor.
They have a regal presence. Staubach, Captain Comeback, Roger the Dodger, winner of two Super Bowls and a Heisman Trophy. Aikman, assassin-like in his precision, winner of three Super Bowls, the No. 1 pick of the 1989 draft.
But even their ascensions took time. Staubach did not become a full-time starter until 1971. Aikman lost his first 11 starts as a rookie as the Cowboys finished 1-15.
"The glory years of Roger Staubach were much further removed from the glory years of when I played and when Tony took over," Aikman said. "It doesn't seem like it's that much of a separation, and I think that probably unfairly a lot of people still look at some of the success that teams I was a part of had and hold the team in recent years to those standards. That wasn't the case when I played early on because they had been bad for a little while."
But this is what Romo has to deal with.
He is compared to greatness each week, each quarter, each series, each throw, just as White was back in 1980.
"When I took over, that's all they wanted to talk about, all they wanted to write about – Danny White trying to fill Roger Staubach's shoes," White said. "What are you talking about? That was the furthest thing from my mind. I wasn't out there to be Roger. Finally I got to the point where my response was, 'If you want to compare me to Roger Staubach, so be it. There's not anybody else in the game I'd rather be compared to, so that's pretty fast company.' I tried to turn it into a positive."
This off-season, Aikman caused a stir with comments he made on ESPN-FM's Michael Irvin Show. He said Romo "hasn't fully grasped what being the Cowboys' quarterback is all about."
It was an confirmation to some that Romo was more concerned with life off the field than behind center. Aikman said his comment was misconstrued. He wanted to call Romo right away but waited a few weeks.
"Finally I said, 'You know, I don't think it's fair as a former quarterback for the Cowboys that something like that's said in that forum and misconstrued,' so I got in touch with him," Aikman said.
Soon Aikman and Romo were playing golf together.

Quarterback ties

For White, Staubach was a "constant in terms of reinforcement after I took over." Staubach would call after a bad game to encourage White for the next game. He was there when things went well, too.
Staubach knew the enormous expectations and appreciated the kind words from Eddie LeBaron and Don Meredith when he struggled.
"I can tell you this, if it had any long-term affects on my lifestyle, if it cost me a marriage or a family like it has a lot of people, I would've said it wasn't worth it," White said. "It's not worth that price. Fortunately, I survived, and it was all a benefit for me. Yeah, it was tough at times in a lot of ways but nothing that I can regret."
Staubach, Aikman and White agreed there is a bond that marries the different generations of Cowboys quarterbacks, even if they don't talk regularly. By the nature of his NFL broadcasting job with Fox, Aikman sees Romo regularly. Staubach spoke with Romo once last year and sent an e-mail to him when he returned from his fractured pinky. White knows only what he sees on television.
"Statistically he's been a heck of a player," Staubach said. "It really comes down to getting a playoff win and doing well in the playoffs. Dallas is now capable of being a championship team. You've just got to do it. You've got to make it happen."
One of Romo's favorite movies is The Natural. It's why he wears No. 9. He even has a Wonderboy T-shirt, an homage to Roy Hobbs' famed bat.
In the movie, Hobbs' home run sends the New York Knights to the World Series. But in Bernard Malamud's book on which the movie is based there is no Hollywood ending. Hobbs strikes out and the Knights lose.
Entering only his third season as the full-time starter, Romo is not in such a win-or-else position. Fans, however, not only want the Hollywood ending but they also expect it.
"Let's be honest, the reason the expectations have been so high over the last three, four years have been because of Tony Romo," Aikman said. "That's why he's a victim of the expectations that he brought. Prior to him taking over as quarterback, the expectations were not what they are now. And he was the last piece to the puzzle that allows them to say, 'OK, we have these parts, and now we've got this franchise quarterback.' "Winning ways
How Tony Romo compares to the legendary Cowboys quarterbacks who preceded him:

Regular season Playoff Passing statistics Quarterback W-L-T Pct. wins Att. Year Comp pct. Year Yards Year TDs Year Rating Year Don Meredith 48-33-4 .588 1 344 1966 55.3 1968 2,805 1966 24 1968 88.4 1968 Roger Staubach 85-29 .746 10 461 1979 62.6 1974 3,586 1979 27 1979 104.8 1971 Danny White 62-30 .674 5 533 1983 63.2 1982 3,980 1983 29 1983 91.1 1982 Troy Aikman 94-71 .570 11 518 1997 69.1 1993 3,445 1992 23 1992 99.0 1993 Tony Romo 27-12 .692 0 520 2007 65.3 2006 4,211 2007 36 2007 97.4 2007

Roger Staubach

He was nicknamed Captain Comeback for his impeccable work late in games. He was MVP of Super Bowl VI and was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1985.

on Romo

He really has the physical skills, and he senses things pretty well. The actual ideal of controlling the football or tucking it back in there, those are things he might improve on, but when you have the basic tools he has then you just get smarter as a quarterback. There was a lot of talk in the papers about how he's got to control his running. But that's his DNA. Even my last year Coach Landry would say to me, "Roger, you're going to learn," and I said, "Coach, I'm getting ready to retire." It's part of your makeup, but you've got to use it wisely. Tony has all the skills, these instincts, but he can't worry about mistakes.

Danny White

In 1980 he took over for Staubach and led the Cowboys to three straight NFC title games, setting franchise records in touchdown passes (29) and yards (3,980) before Tony Romo broke them in 2007.

on Romo

The thing you've got to love with Tony is his demeanor. He doesn't take anything too seriously. If anything, sometimes he might be too casual, but nothing seems to bother him. He doesn't get uptight. He could be ahead, be behind and you'd never know it with him. I don't know Tony well enough to know a lot about him as a student of the game, but I do know just from watching him he's got a lot of physical talent. As he gets a little older and further into his career the mental side of the game will kick in. It's going to have to because you're going to slow up a little bit.

Troy Aikman

He helped resurrect the franchise in the 1990s with three Super Bowl wins, including an MVP award for his work in Super Bowl XXVII.

on Romo

I think the thing I probably respect the most about Tony is his love for competition. I remember the first time watching the guy live, competing and there's a lot more guys that don't really enjoy that than those that do. The irony is that it is primarily why he gets criticized so much. There have been disappointing losses in games, but those things occur. You try to put yourself in position where you have a chance to win some of those games, and he's able to do that. I believe Tony is going to still win a lot of playoff games and do great things, because he has something you can't coach in this league.

manufan10
09-09-2009, 10:05 AM
^ Great read.

Dr. Gonzo
09-09-2009, 10:46 AM
lol Danny White

Spursfan092120
09-09-2009, 11:51 AM
lol Danny White
yeah..because a guy with over 21,000 career yards and a career QB rating of 81.7 and leading a team to 3 consecutive NFC Championship games is something to laugh at.

Dr. Gonzo
09-09-2009, 11:55 AM
yeah..because a guy with over 21,000 career yards and a career QB rating of 81.7 and leading a team to 3 consecutive NFC Championship games is something to laugh at.

lol spurfan90210

to21
09-09-2009, 01:23 PM
lol....thin skinned cowboy fans.

Spursfan092120
09-09-2009, 01:50 PM
lol spurfan90210
lol Texans

Dr. Gonzo
09-09-2009, 02:00 PM
lol Texans

lol matt schaub

manufan10
09-09-2009, 02:11 PM

Whisky Dog
09-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Danny White was the 1st version of Donovan McNabb. Lot of success never the big one. Always scrutinized.

Texas Chili Dog
09-09-2009, 06:59 PM
http://www.examiner.com/x-14770-Dallas-Sports-Examiner~y2009m9d9-Cowboys-2009-draft-class-vanishing-in-front-of-our-eyes

:(

Dr. Gonzo
09-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Jerry Jones is a great GM and a fantastic judge of talent.

Spursfan092120
09-09-2009, 10:34 PM
Jerry Jones is a great GM and a fantastic judge of talent.
I disagree 100%...but thanks for the vote of support...Go Cowboys.

Chris
09-10-2009, 12:05 AM
Injury Report

WR Miles Austin - hamstring (9/3) - The wide receiver missed last week's preseason finale and Monday's practice, bothered again by the same hamstring injury that he sustained in the OTA practices. But he practiced Wednesday and barring a setback, should be ready for Sunday's opener in Tampa Bay, Phillips said.

LB Curtis Johnson - hamstring (9/2) - The second-year linebacker, just picked up last week, has been slowed by a hamstring injury. He didn't practice Monday or Wednesday and his availability for Sunday's game in Tampa is highly questionable.

WR Kevin Ogletree - eye (9/4) - The rookie receiver has practiced this week and says he has no problems after suffering an eye contusion in the second quarter of last Friday's preseason finale. Ogletree, who caught the first touchdown of the game, never returned after sustaining the injury while trying to cover a punt.

S Michael Hamlin - arm (8/29) - The rookie safety suffered a broken arm in the second half of the 49ers game. Although he made the 53-man roster, he is expected to miss 3-5 weeks.

CB Alan Ball - concussion (8/29) - The Cowboys' fourth cornerback has returned to practice after missing all last week and the preseason finale with a concussion.

LB Jason Williams - ankle (8/29) - The Cowboys' top draft pick suffered a high ankle sprain that will keep him out for another 3-5 weeks.

WR Roy Williams - shoulder (8/27): The team's No. 1 receiver doesn't seem to have any lingering effects from a shoulder contusion suffered on Aug. 27 in a practice collision with Orlando Scandrick. Williams practiced all last week and has returned to the field on Monday and Wednesday.

WR Sam Hurd - quad (8/25): The receiver has returned to practice this week after battling a nagging quad injury that originated before camp. The Cowboys have been cautious with Hurd, and he is expected to be ready for Sunday's game.

FB Deon Anderson - knee (8/13): Anderson has returned to the practice field for the first time in about a month since undergoing a knee scope back in camp. The Cowboys are counting on Anderson, the only fullback on the roster, for his blocking and special teams.

QB Stephen McGee - knee (8/21): McGee suffered an MCL sprain that should keep him out for another couple of weeks. But the rookie quarterback did throw some in the early portion of Monday's practice. However, the club likely kept rookie Rudy Carpenter on the practice squad to at least run the scout team until McGee is healthy.

Injured Reserve:
LB Brandon Williams (torn ACL)
LB Stephen Hodge (knee)

Non-Active PUP:
OL Robert Brewster (torn pectoral muscle)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

courtesy of DallasCowboys.com

Obstructed_View
09-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Danny White was a really good player that couldn't stay away from the costly turnover in the big game. Romo's going to need to break out of that mold pretty quick.

badfish22
09-10-2009, 11:09 PM
People can root for the Cowboys and say whatever the fuck they want about Dallas. City smack is the kind of thing that Maverick fans do, which is exactly why people say what they do about Dallas. One would think fans from Dallas would be more sensitive to that since we're the ones who killed Kennedy.

Classy.

SpuronyourFace
09-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Romo vows Dallas Cowboys' commitment is to team

07:48 PM CDT on Thursday, September 10, 2009

By DAVID MOORE and RICHARD DURRETT / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – Tony Romo can't promise that the approach the Cowboys have taken to this season will produce more victories.
But the quarterback can give this assurance: It gives them the best chance.
"It doesn't mean that we're going to win games," Romo said. "Just because we've done things that might be perceived as a little different or whether we've done things different doesn't mean we're going to win games.

"But I promise you this. We're working hard and putting the commitment to this team first. Going out there, trying to execute and everyone trying to be on the same page, it doesn't promise you wins. But I guarantee you it gives you the best chance to win. That's all our approach has been.
"We're going to put ourselves in the best position to possibly win games. It's time to go out there and do it."
Romo said it will be fun to open the regular season in Tampa Bay this weekend and get the first indication of whether the Cowboys have improved. And what about Emmitt Smith, who earlier this week questioned Romo's leadership ability – again – and predicted a 7-9 season for the Cowboys?
"People outside this locker room don't affect this football team," Romo said. "We've really narrowed our focus. We don't have time to discuss what different people might be saying or talking about our team.
"It's about the game. It's about beating the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Hopefully, we can do that and improve and get better.
"All we can do is that. Whatever people may say or may not say, that's for those people to talk about. All we think about is the game and getting better today."

SpuronyourFace
09-11-2009, 10:38 AM
^Yeah, Im excited about the lack of media attention and distractions, and watching this team play like a team.

Spursfan092120
09-11-2009, 04:55 PM
^Yeah, Im excited about the lack of media attention and distractions, and watching this team play like a team.
I love the fact that most people don't even think our team will make the playoffs. Keep us under the radar...I love it.

kamikazi_player
09-12-2009, 11:47 PM
I love the fact that most people don't even think our team will make the playoffs. Keep us under the radar...I love it.
Can't wait till tomorrow. Tampa Bay isn't a team that we should sleep on, but we should be able to win our first game.

BlackSwordsMan
09-12-2009, 11:48 PM
0-1 cowboys

kamikazi_player
09-12-2009, 11:55 PM
0-1 cowboys
texans fan i suppose?

kamikazi_player
09-12-2009, 11:55 PM
lol texans

slick'81
09-13-2009, 11:40 AM
not getting my hopes up this season for the cowboys.Affter last years meltdown im hoping for the best but expecting the worst ,Lets see how the cowboys bring it on the road vs the bucs

Dr. Gonzo
09-13-2009, 11:42 AM
There is no way they lose to the Yucs. I see a 2 TD win and all the Cowboy fans predicting a SB win after destroying the lowly Yucs.

Obstructed_View
09-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Not a good start since the fucking offensive players don't even know where to be and they can't seem to get the ball snapped in a timely fashion. Expect a lot of false starts in the second half as guys get winded.

smrattler
09-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Demarcus went down... hope he gets back out there soon, Leftwitch looks too comfortable.

Death In June
09-13-2009, 12:26 PM
The defense looks pretty shitty. Can't stop the pass or the run. Nice special teams so far though.

slick'81
09-13-2009, 12:29 PM
huge block!!!

Death In June
09-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Who's replacing Canty again? Seems like they're running right to his side every play.

Dr. Gonzo
09-13-2009, 12:40 PM
What's wrong with Ware? Anything serious or his he back in the game?

Death In June
09-13-2009, 12:43 PM
They didnt say, he is back in the game though.

slick'81
09-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Williams is tearing us up 7-6 BUCS

Libri
09-13-2009, 12:48 PM
Cowboys are getting punished by the TB run.

slick'81
09-13-2009, 12:52 PM
8 carries for 77 yards for the cadillac :wow

Death In June
09-13-2009, 12:56 PM
Where are the cowboy WRs?

slick'81
09-13-2009, 12:57 PM
well crayton just got raped by ronde barber

slick'81
09-13-2009, 12:59 PM
defense is getting owned

slick'81
09-13-2009, 01:06 PM
settle down mathis 1st down cowboys

romo2witten all day

dammit flozell

Vinnie_Johnson
09-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Romo is average to a bad QB if it wasn't for Owens we would not still be starting.

slick'81
09-13-2009, 01:14 PM
romo is just off.Maybe he wished he had TO to throw to today :bang

Obstructed_View
09-13-2009, 01:15 PM
Where are the cowboy WRs?

Roy Longhorn has made some really nice catches. Looks way better than I ever expected. Hard for WRs to catch when the QB is having such a rotten day. Romo's missed two pretty easy touchdown passes so far, and can't seem to place the ball worth a crap. The Cowboys still have a chance if he can manage not to turn it over. The defense is already missing the guys they lost.

slick'81
09-13-2009, 01:19 PM
roy williams has looked good

now if the cowboys can get one more fg this half

bostonguy
09-13-2009, 01:20 PM
The boys run D looks awful. Romo and the O looks awful.

bostonguy
09-13-2009, 01:20 PM
They also still commit those stupid penalties.

Vinnie_Johnson
09-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Miles Austin Nice!

slick'81
09-13-2009, 01:21 PM
fck a fg td cowboys!!! miles fckn Austin baby
!!
13-7 dallas :ihit

slick'81
09-13-2009, 01:25 PM
great job defense way to lose the momentum

13- 7 dallas /half...

mike jenkins is lost :wow

missed fg lol@bucs special teams today

oh the rain is coming!!

Vinnie_Johnson
09-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Cowboy where is the Defense? Wade where is the pressure on the QB?

Obstructed_View
09-13-2009, 01:32 PM
Interesting new defensive philosophy by the Cowboys: To avoid exposing your turrible turrible secondary, simply give up giant chunks of yardage on the ground. The secret's out now. Expect cookie-head and Newman to get torched to death in the second half.

That was a GREAT juke by Miles Austin on the TD.

Obstructed_View
09-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Cowboy where is the Defense? Wade where is the pressure on the QB?

Part of it's in New York, and another part of it's in Oakland.

slick'81
09-13-2009, 01:52 PM
roy williams in the house td baby!! 20-7 dallas

bostonguy
09-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Nice td but the Boys D looks very suspect. Tampa is beating themselves on O.

Libri
09-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Touchdown!!

slick'81
09-13-2009, 01:58 PM
god damn newman almost got killed there

this isnt soccer crayton

slick'81
09-13-2009, 02:09 PM
finally with a lead defense can start to settle down

Death In June
09-13-2009, 02:25 PM
If there's one thing that's remained consistent from last year, is that Jason Garett is a dick for brains when it comes to offensive play calling.

Obstructed_View
09-13-2009, 02:27 PM
god damn newman almost got killed there

this isnt soccer crayton

Newman almost got killed because he sucks so bad. Crayton made a smart play. If only Terrence had a brain in his head, unfortunately he got equal helpings of heart.

slick'81
09-13-2009, 02:37 PM
and we have a ball game folks 20-14 dallas

bostonguy
09-13-2009, 02:37 PM
The Cowboys run d continues to suck.

Whisky Dog
09-13-2009, 02:38 PM
WTF is Felix Jones? Running a wheel route w/ Barber? Garrett is trying to be too cute.

slick'81
09-13-2009, 02:39 PM
fck off tampa td baby PC

bostonguy
09-13-2009, 02:42 PM
Nice bomb.

Whisky Dog
09-13-2009, 02:43 PM
But... Without TO who's gonna make the big play?

Tampa is a good running team and have been for some time. I'm not surprised they could run, just pissed Dallas' coverage has sucked so much. I don't see shit from Jenkins, Scandrick needs to be the starting corner every game.

Special teams has been awesome.

Death In June
09-13-2009, 02:54 PM
Bobby Carpenter, useless and dirty. On the plus side, the offense has looked good during the second half. A lot of yards have come off of Tampa mistakes, mistakes a good team won't make. But, it's something.

slick'81
09-13-2009, 02:57 PM
mb3 and its ovaaaaaaaa 34-13

Obstructed_View
09-13-2009, 03:18 PM
But... Without TO who's gonna make the big play?

Tampa is a good running team and have been for some time. I'm not surprised they could run, just pissed Dallas' coverage has sucked so much. I don't see shit from Jenkins, Scandrick needs to be the starting corner every game.

Special teams has been awesome.

Bolded for truth. Jenkins still looks disinterested and stupid. The Cowboys already have one of those on the other side. At least Scandrick's giving his all.

Bobby Carpenter, useless and dirty.

That good open field tackle on one of the game's more critical third downs seems pretty useful.

Whisky Dog
09-13-2009, 03:26 PM
The one good thing I can say about Jenkins is that he didn't run away from Ward. Still wiffed on the tackle but sadly wiffing is a huge improvement.

How I wish the Bucs would have grabbed Jenkins and let Talib fall to the Cowboys. Talib's from Dallas, Jenkins from Florida... It would only be right to send them home.

Obstructed_View
09-13-2009, 03:38 PM
The one good thing I can say about Jenkins is that he didn't run away from Ward. Still wiffed on the tackle but sadly wiffing is a huge improvement.

:lol That's true. He's going to have to sell out for a long time to live that down in my eyes though. Remember how Deion was when he had to tackle someone? Well Jenkins is that way all the time. Hopefully the coaches see that and give Scandrick some more snaps next game.

And since you're a UT fan, let me mention once again how happy I am to be wrong about Roy Williams. He did everything very well today and looked like the kind of pro Detroit always wanted him to be.

LOL texans
09-13-2009, 03:47 PM
Got roy williams in a late round as my third WR and he out performed the two I drafted ahead of him. lol.

Spursfan092120
09-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Got roy williams in a late round as my third WR and he out performed the two I drafted ahead of him. lol.
how many teams are in your league?

LOL texans
09-13-2009, 03:57 PM
how many teams are in your league?

10, got him in the 7th I think

Whisky Dog
09-13-2009, 03:59 PM
:lol That's true. He's going to have to sell out for a long time to live that down in my eyes though. Remember how Deion was when he had to tackle someone? Well Jenkins is that way all the time. Hopefully the coaches see that and give Scandrick some more snaps next game.

And since you're a UT fan, let me mention once again how happy I am to be wrong about Roy Williams. He did everything very well today and looked like the kind of pro Detroit always wanted him to be.

Yeah I'm glad Roy is really starting to show signs of the ass busting offseason I kept hearing he was having. The trick with Roy going back all the way to his first snap in Austin has always been consistency and coming up in big games. He's been inconsistent and always disappeared against OU. Hopefully the weapons Dallas has will help him fix those two things.

Spursfan092120
09-13-2009, 04:08 PM
10, got him in the 7th I think
damn..I'm in a 12 teamer and he went earlier than that.

Obstructed_View
09-14-2009, 07:56 AM
One other thing I'm happy to be wrong about is the penalties. I seem to remember two penalties and one of them was a terrible call. I Flozell is going to go all day with no false starts I'll let him have one personal foul per game.

manufan10
09-14-2009, 09:03 AM
There's some things to work on, but it is the first game of the season, so it's expected. If they're missing tackles and getting run on like this in the middle or late in the season it will be a concern. People considered this to be a "trap" game for the Cowboys, so it's good to see them pull out the victory.

I like how Romo set up a career high in passing yards without TO. I'm still pissed that they got rid of him, but if they can spread the ball around and still produce, I will probably forget about TO.

I don't know if Romo was nervous or just had an off first half, but his accuracy was off a little bit in the first half. Glad to see him come out in the second half and be more accurate with the ball.

Scandrick will probably take over the starting job after the game with the Giants. Jenkins seemed a little lost at times or didn't know the correct coverage.

manufan10
09-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Giants are having health issues in the secondary and their number one receiver will miss the next 2-3 weeks:

http://www.truebluefanclub.com/blogs/rob_phillips.cfm?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&userid=e062d34a-fb8f-4a56-ba5a-fb802447d7f5&plckPostId=Blog%3ae062d34a-fb8f-4a56-ba5a-fb802447d7f5Post%3acf8f8590-b3d5-424d-a872-427ca707eb80&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

SpuronyourFace
09-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Dallas Cowboys scouting report: New York Giants

08:28 PM CDT on Tuesday, September 15, 2009

By RICK GOSSELIN / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected] ([email protected])

Column by RICK GOSSELIN / The Dallas Morning News | [email protected]
http://www.dallasnews.com/images/pixel.gif
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/sports/columnists/mugs/mug_rgosselin.jpg (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/rgosselinvitindex.html)

Cowboys offensive linemen Flozell Adams, Marc Colombo, Leonard Davis, Andre Gurode and Kyle Kosier will lace up their football cleats as usual Sunday night.
Except that on this particular Sunday night, they may be better off wearing track spikes.
The defending NFC East champion New York Giants have the deepest, most talented defensive line in the NFC, headlined by Pro Bowlers Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiora.

The Giants suited up eight defensive linemen in the opener against Washington and used them all, limiting the Redskins to 85 yards rushing while collecting three sacks. Six defensive linemen registered tackles, and Tuck and Umenyiora managed sacks.
Most NFL offenses do not rotate offensive linemen, so New York's goal is to throw wave after wave of fresh bodies and fresh legs at blockers, wearing them down during the course of the game. The Giants try to run offensive linemen ragged with different players and different looks.
Tuck lines up at strongside end but will move inside to tackle in pass-rush situations. Chris Canty, who played end for the Cowboys in 2008 but has been converted to a tackle in New York's 4-3 scheme this season, also hits the field on passing downs. So does Mathias Kiwanuka, who collected eight sacks in 2008 as a starter in place of the injured Umenyiora.
In his first game back after missing the 2008 season with a knee injury, Umenyiora scored his second career touchdown on a sack, forced fumble, fumble recovery and 37-yard jaunt to the end zone against the Redskins.
Starting tackles Barry Cofield and Fred Robbins are the heart of the run defense, giving the Giants a combined 614 pounds at the point of attack. Of the 85 yards rushing the Redskins managed against the Giants, 16 came on a quarterback scramble by Jason Campbell and eight more on a fake field goal. So pounding away at Cofield and Robbins, the Redskins managed only 61 yards on the ground.
To beat the Giants, you have to block the Giants. All of them.

SpuronyourFace
09-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Great challenge for the O-line. Giants secondary is nothing to worry about, but we need Romo to get the ball quickly.

Spursfan092120
09-16-2009, 07:06 PM
The good news is that Tampa's WRs are better than NY's wide receivers. The bad news is NY's QB is MUCH better than Tampa's.

slick'81
09-16-2009, 10:51 PM
bust out the measuring stick lets c how the boys run defense fairs against jacobs&bradshaw

Spursfan092120
09-16-2009, 10:56 PM
bust out the measuring stick lets c how the boys run defense fairs against jacobs&bradshaw
That's what I'm worried about. Their secondary is hurting, their receivers are hurting...we're going to have to stop the run.

Whisky Dog
09-17-2009, 02:25 AM
I don't see the defense keeping the giants under 20 pts - Romo friendly offense is gonna have to use the weapons and score points.

Texas Chili Dog
09-17-2009, 07:50 AM
http://www.examiner.com/x-14770-Dallas-Sports-Examiner~y2009m9d17-One-last-look-at-the-2009-Cowboys-season-debut

Just wanted to get an article up wrapping up week 1 before I preview week 2. Just mentioned the good and bad from the Bucs game. I know y'all will have some differing views on the play of the game, so of course it is just my opinion! :toast

DBryant88
09-17-2009, 08:30 AM
when ware has hurt spencer did NOT step up and now im serioulsy doubting his ability

manufan10
09-17-2009, 12:50 PM
I'm looking forward to the match-up. I think the Cowboys should use a little of a hurry up offense to keep the Giants off balance. They like to substitute their line early and often, so if the Cowboys can keep them off guard with a hurry up offense, I think it would help them. It would also help wearing out their defense, because they won't get as much time off in between plays, and the defensive linemen would be in for more plays at a time than usual.

mardigan
09-17-2009, 04:27 PM
http://www.dallascowboys.com/multimedia/multimedia_center.cfm?id=C85A5155-9372-453C-3360975046CB996F

Romo mic'd up from the Bucs game.
I know, lol Romo.

mardigan
09-17-2009, 04:30 PM
The Giants game is going to be tough man. I know the Boys can put up enough points to win the game, but the Boys defense scares me. If they can't stop the run this game could get ugly.

bostonguy
09-17-2009, 04:45 PM
The good thing the boys have going for them is they tend to play very well on Sunday Night Football. They also tend to match up pretty well with the Giants.

manufan10
09-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Injury Report:

New York Giants
LB Michael Boley (hip - limited participation)
DT Chris Canty (calf - did not participate)
CB Kevin Dockery (hamstring - limited participation)
S Michael Johnson (shoulder - did not participate)
OL Adam Koets (ankle - did not participate)
WR Hakeem Nicks (foot - did not participate)
S Kenny Phillips (knee - limited participation)
CB Aaron Ross (hamstring - did not participate)
LB Clint Sintim (groin - limited participation)
Dallas Cowboys
S Gerald Sensabaugh - bruised ribs (9/13) - After a big hit in the third quarter against Tampa Bay, the safety suffered bruised ribs and was eventually taken to the locker room for X-rays, although the results were negative. Sensabaugh practiced fully Wednesday and Thursday, and barring a setback, he should be available Sunday against the Giants.
QB Tony Romo - ankle (9/13) - The Cowboys quarterback has a sprained right ankle that he suffered in the third quarter against the Bucs. He finished the game, practiced fully on Wednesday and Thursday and should be ready Sunday night.
RB Felix Jones - quad (9/13) - Although he continued to play, Jones was limited after suffering a quad injury during a big tackle in the first quarter. The Cowboys held him out of some third-down plays and replaced him in the second half with Miles Austin on one kickoff return. Jones practiced fully on Wednesday and Thursday and wasn't listed on the official injury report - an indication that he'll be ready Sunday.
LB Curtis Johnson - hamstring (9/2) - The second-year linebacker, recently claimed off waivers, has been slowed by a hamstring injury but practiced fully with the team for the first time Wednesday and Thursday. Head coach Wade Phillips said he wasn't sure if Johnson would be ready for Sunday's game, though.
QB Stephen McGee - knee (8/21): McGee was in uniform Sunday in Tampa as the inactive third quarterback. The rookie from Texas A&M suffered an MCL sprain in the preseason and said last week he wasn't at 100 percent yet. But he has returned to practice and seems healthy enough to be in uniform for an emergency situation.
S Michael Hamlin - arm (8/29) - The rookie safety suffered a broken arm in the second half of the 49ers preseason game. Although he made the 53-man roster, he is expected to miss another 2-4 weeks.
LB Jason Williams - ankle (8/29) - The Cowboys' top draft pick suffered a high ankle sprain that will keep him out of action for another 2-4 weeks, but he did have his protective walking boot removed Monday.
Injured Reserve:
LB Brandon Williams (torn ACL)
LB Stephen Hodge (knee)
Non-Active PUP:
OL Robert Brewster (torn pectoral muscle)

manufan10
09-18-2009, 08:54 AM
http://www.dallascowboys.com/multimedia/multimedia_center.cfm?id=C85A5155-9372-453C-3360975046CB996F

Romo mic'd up from the Bucs game.
I know, lol Romo.

That was great. It showed some of the leadership that had a lot of people worried. He was talking to his teammates and letting them know what he wanted out of them. :tu

manufan10
09-18-2009, 12:22 PM
NFC East games are for the big stage, so it's fitting that the Giants and Cowboys will open up Jerry Jones' new Cowboys Stadium.
Including standing-room-only purchasers, Jones wants more than 100,000 Cowboys fans to attend Sunday night's game against the Giants. Talk about home-field advantage. The crowd will be loud and massive. The setting should be amazing. And then there is the scoreboard.
No punter is affected by the low-hanging scoreboard more than the Giants' Jeff Feagles (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=26). He's a directional punter who needs high punts and long hang time to get his coverage units to make tackles. Feagles might have to change some of his punting angles on certain areas of the field.
The Cowboys got off to a great start by blowing out the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=tam) 34-21 in Week 1, but the Bucs are expected to be one of the worst teams in the NFC. The Giants are a potential Super Bowl contender. They opened with a 23-17 victory over the Washington Redskins.
The key to this game will be the play of Dallas QB Tony Romo (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5209), who threw for 353 yards against the Bucs and hit long pass after long pass. Roy Williams (http://espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5532) played like a No. 1 receiver, catching three passes for 86 yards. Patrick Crayton (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5741) caught four passes for 135 yards, and Miles Austin (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10147) had a 42-yard touchdown catch.
The Cowboys are catching the Giants at a good time. Cornerback Aaron Ross (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10464) might have to miss his second consecutive game with a hamstring injury. Safeties Michael Johnson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10667) (shoulder) and Kenny Phillips (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11265) (knee) are banged up and so is backup cornerback Kevin Dockery (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9926) (hamstring).
With the Eagles struggling with injuries on offense, the Giants-Cowboys winner will be viewed by many as the early leader of the NFC East race, which should be fascinating. Only two of the 12 NFC East showdowns this season are set for 1 p.m. ET starts . The rest are featured either at 4 p.m. or in prime time.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&page=1stand10/09week2

manufan10
09-18-2009, 12:35 PM
Chris Canty's return to Dallas will have to wait.
http://www.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/headshot/C/A/N/CAN796581.jpg Chris Canty (http://www.nfl.com/players/chriscanty/profile?id=CAN796581), DL
New York Giants (http://www.nfl.com/teams/newyorkgiants/profile?team=NYG)

Career Statistics
Games/Starts: 65/50
Tackles: 150
Sacks: 10

The New York Giants defensive lineman missed practice Thursday with a calf injury, and a league source told NFL Network's Jason La Canfora that Canty will not play in Sunday night's game against the Cowboys (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009092014/2009/REG2/giants@cowboys).
Canty, who left the Cowboys to sign with the Giants as a free agent this offseason, was hurt in practice Wednesday and will miss a game for the first time in his five-year NFL career. He received treatment Thursday while the Giants practiced.
Giants starting safety Kenny Phillips (http://www.nfl.com/players/kennyphillips/profile?id=PHI403361) (knee) returned to practice on a limited basis Thursday and had a couple of interceptions. Michael Johnson (http://www.nfl.com/players/michaeljohnson/profile?id=JOH504824), the other starting safety, missed his second practice with a shoulder injury, but coach Tom Coughlin believes the third-year pro has a chance to play. Linebacker Michael Boley (http://www.nfl.com/players/michaelboley/profile?id=BOL343936) (hip) showed improvement and has a shot at playing, according to Coughlin.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d812b2412&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

manufan10
09-18-2009, 03:01 PM
The Week 1 deliverance of harmony and precision -- in a Tony Romo (http://www.nfl.com/players/tonyromo/profile?id=ROM787981)-friendly offensive scheme -- has the Dallas Cowboys (http://www.nfl.com/teams/dallascowboys/profile?team=DAL), their fans, and those who witnessed them defeat the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/tampabaybuccaneers/profile?team=TB) seemingly convinced life is exponentially better without T.O.
Six receivers caught passes in Romo's 353-yard, three-touchdown carving of Tampa Bay's secondary last Sunday. Nobody sulked because they didn't get more touches. The focus was on the sum of the parts, not a part for just some. And look, Terrell Owens (http://www.nfl.com/players/terrellowens/profile?id=OWE755129) only caught two passes in a Monday night loss with his new team, Buffalo, and he's already drawing attention to himself for, of all things, not talking.
Kumbaya in Big D.
Upon further examination, the Cowboys were singing the same song after last season's opening victory over Cleveland, when seven receivers caught passes. Romo threw for 320 yards and a touchdown and the strong running game set up the play-action pass. Sound familiar?

About the only difference is that Owens caught Romo's only touchdown throw and had five receptions for 87 yards against Cleveland. As is the case now, Dallas was 1-0.
The real test of how much -- or how little -- things have changed, could come as early as Sunday, when the Giants, a much better opponent than Tampa Bay, show up to christen the regular-season Grand Opening of Cowboys Stadium. The Giants' focus will be on stopping the running game and putting pressure on Romo. New York, with Osi Umenyiora (http://www.nfl.com/players/osiumenyiora/profile?id=UME444955), Mathias Kiwanuka (http://www.nfl.com/players/mathiaskiwanuka/profile?id=KIW059326) and Justin Tuck (http://www.nfl.com/players/justintuck/profile?id=TUC056287), among others, has the defensive horses to make things difficult for Dallas.
Now is when we'll see how effective the new-look Cowboys offense really is. Based on what Dallas showed in Week 1, there's no reason to think there will be a major dropoff. A key reason is because Romo and/or offensive coordinator Jason Garrett won't feel the need to get any specific player involved.
There were times when it was clear Dallas was trying to force the ball to Owens last season; one of those occasions coming in a loss to the visiting Redskins. The intent seemed to take away from the flow of Dallas' potent running game and the overall rhythm of the offense. And say what you want about Romo, when he's feeling it, he's just about as good as any quarterback in the NFL. Forcing the ball to a certain player is a problem the Cowboys hope has been corrected.
Now, at least after one game, there's no single player other than Romo who has to have his hands on the ball. Maybe if Roy Williams, Patrick Crayton (http://www.nfl.com/players/patrickcrayton/profile?id=CRA820452) or Miles Austin (http://www.nfl.com/players/milesaustin/profile?id=AUS467198) string together five or six breakout games - or if they hit their plateau against the Bucs and become unreliable -- that thinking will change.
As it stands, they've got options. Everything starts at running back, where Marion Barber, Felix Jones (http://www.nfl.com/players/felixjones/profile?id=JON313929) and Tashard Choice (http://www.nfl.com/players/tashardchoice/profile?id=CHO431469) butter the bread. If Dallas can make waves running the ball, it will continue to do so until a safety or linebacker gets a little too aggressive attacking the line of scrimmage. Then the Cowboys have a variety of plays and players who can exploit the vacated area and make big plays.
Big game in Big D
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/b_jacobs_090913_IL.jpg Dallas gets a prime-time unveiling for its new stadium. But Sunday night's opopnent is looking to spoil the party. Go inside the Giants-Cowboys matchup. More ... (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009092014/2009/REG2/giants@cowboys#tab:watch)

Williams has already shown he's got some big-play ability. If he's consistent with it, then that makes Dallas that much better. The real area where the Cowboys can keep teams off guard, even if the running game isn't working, is with tight ends Jason Witten (http://www.nfl.com/players/jasonwitten/profile?id=WIT559021) and Martellus Bennett (http://www.nfl.com/players/martellusbennett/profile?id=BEN379259).
Both are excellent pass receivers who can play on the line, flexed in the slot, split wide or as H-backs. The ability to shift both tight ends around gives Dallas an edge between the 20s, but also in the red zone and in short-yardage.
It can show run formations it used one week and the next game release one tight end, if not both, on passing routes. The ability to confuse by alignment is a dangerous weapon. As important, most teams don't have defenders who can match up on both tight ends when they're in the game at the same time.
The Giants will be in better standing than a lot of teams because they have versatile weak-side linebacker Michael Boley (http://www.nfl.com/players/michaelboley/profile?id=BOL343936) in the mix. Boley, who was signed in free agency, is expected to start after he served a Week 1 suspension for a domestic incident last year. Boley is gifted enough to cover either player one-on-one. He's also a threat on the pass rush from the edge, where his length and speed are tough to manage.
However, the Giants don't have another player like him on the other side should Dallas scheme with both tight ends. The ability to run a variety of schemes with two tight ends, one tight end, no tight ends and five wide receivers is a luxury the Cowboys have week to week. But it was there before, too -- with a high-maintenance receiver who caught 38 touchdowns in three seasons. In fact, Owens would draw double-teams to free up other players.
Execution, not schemes and a fair and balanced set of skill players, will determine whether life is better without Owens. Sure, the locker room will be a better place, as long as Dallas is winning. Let things go south for three or four straight games and check back on that locker room harmony. That's not just Dallas' locker room, either. Things tend to come unglued when success is hard to come by.
Since Owens was jettisoned, the typically circus-style atmosphere that has been part of Cowboys' culture for years has been very businesslike. The change in persona was driven more by a new approach from the top than T.O.'s departure.
The directive seems to be working, as the Vikings, Patriots, Broncos, Eagles and Jets have driven news cycles and made the Cowboys something of an afterthought.
These days in Dallas, it's about spreading the wealth.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d812b5b82&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Texas Chili Dog
09-20-2009, 12:32 AM
ok yeah I know there are plenty of previews for the game tomorrow, but I said at the end of my Bucs recap that I would have a preview posted for the Giants game. Well I was running out of time, so here it is. lol

http://www.examiner.com/x-14770-Dallas-Sports-Examiner~y2009m9d20-Giant-home-opener-for-Cowboys

offensive balance = good
offensive one-dimensionality = bad

(unless you are on defense ;))

http://www.cowboys-forum.com/images/cowboys_smilies/sux_jints.gif http://www.cowboys-forum.com/images/cowboys_smilies/bash_jints.gif

mardigan
09-20-2009, 12:46 PM
31-28 Boys