PDA

View Full Version : Who is your team on the side?

MarHill
08-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Unfortunately, adultery has been in the media a lot lately with athletes and politicians. While, I don't condone adultery....period.

I thought I would take that concept to sports teams. Are you monogamous with your team? Or do you have another team on the side?

For me.....even though I'm a huge Spurs fan. I became a fan of the Golden State Warriors during the 2006-2007 season. They became my team on the side.

They were polar opposite of the Spurs and I knew they were not going to win a championship with the style of play. But they were fun to watch and their arena felt like a college basketball arena instead of a pro sports arena.

I must admit I was glued to the TV when they played the Mavericks in that first round series.

They were my team on the side.

I would have to say that Orlando Magic has become my team on the side since I born and raised in St. Petersburg/Tampa.

How about you? Who is your team on the side?

:flag:

fyatuk
08-21-2009, 01:04 PM
I have to admit, I do cheer for Orlando to come out of the east most years. Of course, I want them to lose to the Spurs in the Finals every year...

Blackjack
08-21-2009, 01:08 PM
48MoH's Take:

My 2nd Favorite Team (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/08/21/my-2nd-favorite-team/)

Mine was Boston until KG and Allen arrived...

eisfeld
08-21-2009, 01:22 PM
I root for the Thunder as my 2nd favorite team... always liked the Sonics and when they became the Thunder I just moved on.

DesignatedT
08-21-2009, 01:30 PM
After the Spurs id have to say the Toros.

Mel_13
08-21-2009, 01:31 PM
I grew up in New York watching the championship-era Knick teams. Zeke almost killed any affinity I had left for them, but I still check the standings and the boxscores. The Duncan-era Spurs are more like that long ago Knicks team than any other team the NBA has seen since then. Old school coach, unassuming bigman, flashy backcourt combo, defense first, share the ball, share the credit, etc.

foodie2
08-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Detroit when they still had Billups.

urunobili
08-21-2009, 01:35 PM
Thunder... i love KD...

ajballer4
08-21-2009, 01:51 PM
Wizards...i love arenas (when he plays)

Texas_Ranger
08-21-2009, 02:35 PM
Detroit basketball!!

dbestpro
08-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Cincinnati Royals or Ketucky Colonels, so its Spurs or bust.

jb4g
08-21-2009, 03:02 PM
there will be much lol at this

the....Kings

Used to live in Northern Cali, went to a few games during the Mitch Richmond era...Arco was one loud place in those days

Findog
08-21-2009, 03:04 PM
It was the Seattle SuperSonics. They don't exist anymore, and I wish nothing but bad things on The Team That Shall Not Be Named, Zombie Sonics, Bennett City Hijackers, whatever you want to call them besides their official legal moniker.

Strike
08-21-2009, 03:05 PM
Blazers or Lakers. Blazers are the hometown team and, well, despite his douchebaggery off the court, I like watching Kobe Bryant on the court when he's not playing San Antonio or Portland.

ffadicted
08-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Bulls, Magic

Muser
08-21-2009, 03:23 PM
I don't "support" any team other than the Spurs, but I like to watch Golden State, they suck ass at D but are such a fun team to watch.

SpurNation
08-21-2009, 03:32 PM
Harlem Globetrotters

phyzik
08-21-2009, 04:03 PM
I only watch Spurs games. Cant get into the other teams that much. Hypothetically though, if for some reason the Spurs didnt play at all for an entire season and I had to pick another team to root for it would probably be The Hawks.

z0sa
08-21-2009, 04:06 PM
I only watch Spurs games. Cant get into the other teams that much. Hypothetically though, if for some reason the Spurs didnt play at all for an entire season and I had to pick another team to root for it would probably be The Hawks.

I feel the same way, so using this logic it'd probably be Orlando or Memphis.

Brazil
08-21-2009, 04:17 PM
Detroit and Bobcats

Sisk
08-21-2009, 04:17 PM
After the Spurs id have to say the Toros.

hi

bostonguy
08-21-2009, 04:25 PM
Anyone who beats the Cavs.

The Lakers are up there as well.

bdictjames
08-21-2009, 04:42 PM
Charlotte Bobcats! Its sad Okafor left. They're a bunch of great-chemistry guys. I like how Diaw plays so gracefully, and Gerald Wallace is a beast at times. Hope they get to the playoffs this year.

bresilhac
08-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Washington Generals

Brazil
08-21-2009, 04:58 PM
I forgot also anyone who beats the lakers

stéphane
08-21-2009, 05:02 PM
I would have to go with Detroit.

They play on both side of the court. They can be labelled as dirty in the same way we do (meaning playing physical defense).
The 05' finals were really one of my best bball souvenir.

SpurNation
08-21-2009, 05:03 PM
Washington Generals

:lol The losingest team in history.

Taladro
08-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Lakers

manustarting2gd
08-21-2009, 05:12 PM
Bulls (MJ) and Warriors (BEATIN ALLAS). My wife is from the bay area and like the others seeing them beat Dallas in the playoffs was unreal.

JamStone
08-21-2009, 05:37 PM
The Lakers are my little dirty Mexican whore I go to when my wife isn't handling her shit right. The Hornets are my Creole hooker on the corner who gives me blowjobs once a month when the wife is on her period and the Mexican whore gets deported.

I lived in New Orleans for three years but before the Hornets were there, but I am also a Chris Paul fan, so I follow them a little bit. But, not hardcore.

I lived in SoCal for about two years and during the Shaq-Kobe years. Started following them then and always kind of was a fan of Kobe. The Lakers are genuinely my second favorite NBA team, but I just hate most Laker slappies so it's hard to reconcile the two sometimes.

manufan10
08-21-2009, 05:43 PM
The Rockets and any team A.I. is on.

crc21209
08-21-2009, 05:51 PM
Any team spanking the Lakers. :tu FTL!

dougp
08-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Was the Pistons, but now the Nuggets and Trailblazers here in the Western conference.

Out of the East, loved the Celtics until they got Allen and Garnett - but the Magic are fun as hell to watch, and so are the Hawks.

DesignatedT
08-21-2009, 05:59 PM
hi

who are you?

braeden0613
08-21-2009, 06:31 PM
Ever since Malone and Stockton left I've liked the Jazz for some reason.

symple19
08-21-2009, 06:42 PM
They're not really a 2nd fave team(I only have room for the Spurs), but I do follow the Warriors since I live in the Bay area. I go to a few games a year and I must say that Oracle is a great place to see a game. All they lack is a good team and a competent front-office. Other than that, they're Golden! LOL

big daddy russ
08-21-2009, 07:06 PM
I'm a huge closet fan of the Rockets. I don't let anyone know, but I'll check up on them when the Spurs aren't playing.

I've also always liked the Magic and the Celtics, but don't actively follow them.

tempest186
08-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Raptors and Warriors - from the Run TMC days

loveforthegame
08-21-2009, 08:36 PM
Warriors. The arena is always loud and the fans are decent for the most part.

Kings. Not a popular choice but hopefully this is the year they start to turn it around.

Simple Jack
08-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Dallas mavericks are number one

pawe
08-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Being from Phx, I know a lot about the Suns and what's going on with the team so I guess My second team is the Suns. But, if the Cardinals and Suns play at the same time, my TV will be fixed on the Cards game.

duncan228
08-22-2009, 05:28 PM
If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with (http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2009/08/los-angeles-lakers-kobe-bryant.html)
LA Times Lakers Blog

Henry Abbott over at the ol' ESPN True Hoop recently polled his fellow True Hoop scribes about the NBA squad they enjoy watching the most when their favorite team wasn't playing (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-43-69/Your-Second-Favorite-Team.html)(in Abbott's case, the Portland Trail Blazers). For most of the T.H. family, the Golden State Warriors took the prize, which isn't terribly surprising.

As BK once described Nellie's bunch- with their "jacking up any and all shots/don't bother defending anybody because that drains energy better focused on jacking up any and all shots" style- they're the ultimate NBA Live team (http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2008/10/know-thy-enem-1.html). And if you're able to treat the Warriors with the same emotional attachment as one typically affords a video game squad, they fit a very specific bill.

For Abbott, the poor man's "Seven Seconds or Less" Phoenix Suns didn't quite cut it, so he chose the original. I think I gotta agree with him.

Yes, I realize they were the "enemy," and whenever they played the Lakers, I regarded them as such. My loyalties never waned. But if you're willing to put aside misgivings towards specific Phoenicians (I never really had any, but for the sake of argument) objectively speaking, the Suns were one exceptionally fantastic team for an objective of being purely entertained with some high quality basketball. Hella points racked at a breakneck pace. Perpetual motion crafted by Steve Nash's creativity. Defense treated as a decided second priority, but better than typically credited. Matrix. Amare. Diaw. Barbosa. Q and Joe Johnson (for a whle). Even Raja Bell. Phoenix's success reducing the Lakers to second class Pacific Division citizens was admittedly annoying, but not so awful that I couldn't still appreciate them for who they were and how they played.

Other recent favorites include...

This decade's San Antonio Spurs: A far cry from of D'Antoni ball, but despite popular and uninformed opinion, never a "boring" team. Between Tony Parker's speed, Manu Ginobli's herky-jerky unpredictability, Bruce Bowen's defensive prowess, David Robinson's class, a touch of Robert Horry, and Tim Duncan's steady ability to do everything that didn't involve a free throw, sooooo much to enjoy. In particular, it never ceased to amaze and impress me how eerily methodical the Spurs remained under any circumstances. Up 20. Down 20. All squared. San Antonio played their game with ice water flowing through their veins and waited for the opposition to make a mistake first. Typically, that patience paid off.

The current incarnation of the Portland Trail Blazers: Again, I'm perfectly aware this crew will likely become the Lakers' chief rival over the next decade, but it doesn't change the fact that I dig these guys. A lot. In particular, I've got a big-time man crush on Brandon Roy. Extremely versatile, great in the clutch, good dude. In fact, the whole team is pretty likable, in addition to collectively impressive talent. As much fun as it was watching the Jail Blazers perpetually melt down- often at the expense of the Lakers- I hated seeing a historically great franchise in the gutter. The city, their fans and the league deserved better. Now they have it.

The Detroit Pistons, 2004-2006: By now, you've probably figured out that I have the capacity to forgive teams engaged in bitter battles against the Lakers. I seethed while these guys took out the Kobe-Shaq-Malone-GP Lakers in the 2004 Finals and took boatloads of grief from a Day-Twah buddy, but that sting can't change the fact that Chauncey-Rip-Tay-Sheed-Big Ben were an absolute joy to watch. One of the best starting fives in recent memory, these guys executed so well on both sides of the ball. In his prime, Ben Wallace was one of my favorite players in the Association and I loved how dangerous Hamilton became playing off the ball.

The early decade Sixers: A one-man team, but that one man (Allen Iverson) was a thrill to watch and the team (Aaron McKie, Dikembe Mutombo, Eric Snow, Theo Ratliff, etc.) was smartly assembled to compliment A.I. doing his thing.

I'm sure I could find more examples if I thought longer about it. Or, I could just stop yapping and let the blogosphere throw out some suggestions. Who ya got? And before anyone gets their "patriotic" bluster on, enjoying how another team- even a purple and gold rival- goes about their business doesn't make you any less of a Laker fan. It just means you appreciate basketball and I'd like to think the Lakers Blog readership does.

SpurNation
08-22-2009, 06:14 PM
This decade's San Antonio Spurs: A far cry from of D'Antoni ball, but despite popular and uninformed opinion, never a "boring" team. Between Tony Parker's speed, Manu Ginobli's herky-jerky unpredictability, Bruce Bowen's defensive prowess, David Robinson's class, a touch of Robert Horry, and Tim Duncan's steady ability to do everything that didn't involve a free throw, sooooo much to enjoy. In particular, it never ceased to amaze and impress me how eerily methodical the Spurs remained under any circumstances. Up 20. Down 20. All squared. San Antonio played their game with ice water flowing through their veins and waited for the opposition to make a mistake first. Typically, that patience paid off.

:toast

CaptainLate
08-23-2009, 12:42 PM
Thunder... i love KD...

Too bad KD's contract isn't up next year. Get him to come back to Texas and team up with TD for a few championships.

arial
08-23-2009, 02:54 PM
I grew up on the Spurs so I don't have any team on the side. I do however usually go for the underdog unless they're the Lakers, Mavs or Suns :)

ohmwrecker
08-23-2009, 02:59 PM
I won't support any other team in the west. I hate the Celtics and the Cavs, so I guess . . . Wizards, Bobcats and Magic.

Grundle
08-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Detroit is my secret mistress.
I kind of like Golden State as well. (Mainly for embarassing the Mavs.)
Oh, and now that karl Malone doesn't play there anymore... I like Utah's work ethic.

BWS-1994
08-25-2009, 06:06 AM
I would have to go with Detroit.

They play on both side of the court. They can be labelled as dirty in the same way we do (meaning playing physical defense).
The 05' finals were really one of my best bball souvenir.

:toast The new look Pistons still look interesting.

I've always liked Hakeem Olajuwon, that's why I sometimes root for the Houston Rockets. Though one of their championships came at the expense of David Robinson...

johnnyblues
08-25-2009, 08:54 AM
Olympiakos

rjv
08-25-2009, 08:59 AM
i'm a one team man

wijayas
08-25-2009, 09:03 AM
After the Spurs, I am with Orlando simply because Superman Dwight is there. He has a million dollar smile and genuinely enjoys the game.