PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy's Scoreboard Fail

DMX7
08-21-2009, 09:05 PM
Does anything else think that a lot of stadium designers and Jerry Jones are saying "oh shit" now that they realized that their huge fucking scoreboard blocks the path of a lot of kickers?

manufan10
08-21-2009, 09:07 PM
I don't think they care in all honesty. They just have to replay the down, just like with the NFL cameras floating around in the air. No big deal, at least to me.

Spursfan092120
08-21-2009, 09:07 PM
Nah...It's not that big of a deal. I'm pretty sure it's on wires, where they can just move it up.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
08-21-2009, 09:08 PM
Until someone hits the a few of those light bulbs...

Spursfan092120
08-21-2009, 09:09 PM

Nah...It's not that big of a deal. I'm pretty sure it's on wires, where they can just move it up.

manufan10
08-21-2009, 09:09 PM

:lol

I won't say it's impossible, but it's highly unlikely. *crosses fingers* :lol

DMX7
08-21-2009, 09:10 PM
I don't think they care in all honesty. They just have to replay the down, just like with the NFL cameras floating around in the air. No big deal, at least to me.

I've never seen a camera block a punt but this thing seems to get in the way of a lot of them. Maybe they can just raise it and tilt those monsters down (although I doubt they're on hinges).

manufan10
08-21-2009, 09:11 PM
I've never seen a camera block a punt but this thing seems to get in the way of a lot of them. Maybe they can just raise it and tilt those monsters down (although I doubt they're on hinges).

I haven't either, but Troy and Buck talked about it earlier in the game. I think they'll be able to move it up a little higher, but I'm not 100% positive.

08-21-2009, 09:16 PM

Really?

Spursfan092120
08-21-2009, 09:18 PM

Really?

Really

08-21-2009, 09:21 PM
And I don't like the scoreboard at all. Huge distraction.

Spursfan092120
08-21-2009, 09:23 PM
It's good for people in the cheap seats. And it won't be a major distraction once people get used to it. People hated all modern stadiums at first...even this stadium will be outdated eventually.

Borosai
08-21-2009, 10:04 PM
$40 million eyesore.

CubanSucks
08-21-2009, 10:38 PM
It reminded me of the rehabilitation scene from the movie Idiocracy. They built one of the monster trucks so big that it couldn't even fit through the hole. I'm not saying the screens completely fucked the game up but over time I'm sure everyone is gonna get REAL sick of it. That is unless they can just raise it up no big deal.

PM5K
08-21-2009, 10:38 PM
I was never quite sure if the punter was trying to kick it or was simply punting and kicking it on accident.

Nathan Explosion
08-21-2009, 10:39 PM
The people in the cheap seats have a good view of the game. The people in the expensive seats have a good view of the game. The fact of the matter is, if you're at the game, you'll be able to see the game no matter what. In the end, everyone will be happy.

And if the ball hits the board, just replay the down. How hard is that?

Spursfan092120
08-21-2009, 10:41 PM
The people in the cheap seats have a good view of the game. The people in the expensive seats have a good view of the game. The fact of the matter is, if you're at the game, you'll be able to see the game no matter what. In the end, everyone will be happy.

:tu

manufan10
08-21-2009, 10:49 PM
I heard Troy and Buck saying that the scoreboard is able to be lifted higher. No big deal.

BUMP
08-21-2009, 11:44 PM
k I just got back from the game. And here is my experience.

Going to a stadium is a once in a lifetime experience. I went with some friends from college. We parked a mile and a half away at a restaurant because parking in the lot is $75. As I'm walking up there, I started to feel like I was in a movie scene from Independence Day or District 9. The sun created an orange tint on the horizon as it was setting behind the stadium, helicopters were all over the place (they were doing a story since it was the 1st game).

As I walked into the stadium, it felt like I walked into a different world. I can't compare it to another stadium.

Instead I compare it to A Bugs Life or the movie Antz. You walk in and there are many layers and thousands of people moving around as far as the eye can see.

Idk if it will make any difference this year, but its a great recruiting tool because i'm not sure any player would want to turn down 8 home games playing in this environment.

It will hold 100,000 + every game

Spursfan092120
08-21-2009, 11:56 PM
k I just got back from the game. And here is my experience.

Going to a stadium is a once in a lifetime experience. I went with some friends from college. We parked a mile and a half away at a restaurant because parking in the lot is $75. As I'm walking up there, I started to feel like I was in a movie scene from Independence Day or District 9. The sun created an orange tint on the horizon as it was setting behind the stadium, helicopters were all over the place (they were doing a story since it was the 1st game).

As I walked into the stadium, it felt like I walked into a different world. I can't compare it to another stadium.

Instead I compare it to A Bugs Life or the movie Antz. You walk in and there are many layers and thousands of people moving around as far as the eye can see.

Idk if it will make any difference this year, but its a great recruiting tool because i'm not sure any player would want to turn down 8 home games playing in this environment.

It will hold 100,000 + every game
Very good description Bumpy..you should be a writer..wish I could have been there.

KSeal
08-22-2009, 12:34 AM
Scoreboard is douche bag.

O-Factor
08-22-2009, 12:40 AM

Good thing you are not a fan, so nothing for you to worry about. Being a disgruntled lions fan, I'd venture to say you have bigger worries to deal with.

The league minimum height is 85 feet. The awesome cowboys HD screens are at 90 feet. Stephen Jones said they can be raised if need.

No worries for this Cowboys fan. The stadium looks freakin amazing.

Whisky Dog
08-22-2009, 12:44 AM
Some scoreboard envy going on here.

Whisky Dog
08-22-2009, 12:46 AM
I was more impressed with the offense picking apart the Titans starting defense on several possessions. They just can't afford penalties and stupid mistakes but if they can be consistent and healthy there are a lot of good weapons to spread it around to.

Kermit
08-22-2009, 08:11 AM
I'm not a Cowboys defender, but it seemed to me that the Mullet and his fourth string kicker were trying to hit the scoreboard. Perhaps they were doing so in an effort to disguise the fact that the Titans starting D spread its legs and got lit up by Mandingo. That team looked awful.

johnsmith
08-22-2009, 08:22 AM
Funny how Cowboys fans think it's just fine while the rest of America is laughing at Jerruh.

IronMexican
08-22-2009, 09:22 AM
What's gonna happen Thanksgiving day when the best Punter of all time goes there? I don't expect the Raiders to punt that game anyways.

Spursfan092120
08-22-2009, 10:21 AM
What's gonna happen Thanksgiving day when the best Punter of all time goes there? I don't expect the Raiders to punt that game anyways.
yeah...surely Oakland will turn the ball over on every possession before they get the opportunity to punt.

Spursfan092120
08-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Funny how Cowboys fans think it's just fine while the rest of America is laughing at Jerruh.

I'm not a Cowboys defender, but it seemed to me that the Mullet and his fourth string kicker were trying to hit the scoreboard. Perhaps they were doing so in an effort to disguise the fact that the Titans starting D spread its legs and got lit up by Mandingo. That team looked awful.
Funny...Kermit's not a Cowboys fan...doesn't seem like he's laughing at Dallas...looks like he's laughing at Tennessee. And I don't think the rest of America is in this thread. No one's laughing at Dallas except the haters. They made a mistake..things happen. They can raise the television..it's no big deal.

08-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Good thing you are not a fan, so nothing for you to worry about.

Not worried at all. In fact, I don't care.

Being a disgruntled lions fan, I'd venture to say you have bigger worries to deal with.

You pulled the shitty team smack when talking about a videoboard and I'm the guy that's worried? About a team that can't possibly do any worse, no less.

jack sommerset
08-22-2009, 11:20 AM
The scoreboard is a problem especially for the Cowboys because they have one of the best punters in the league. Most punts are about hang time. It gives your coverage team plenty of time to get down there so the returner can not return the ball. In some cases you will have to line drive the punt when you NEVER would anywhere else and that gives the return team the advantage. Cowboys special teams already suck, that scoreboard made it worse.

08-22-2009, 11:28 AM
I read something about hang time and trajectory. The reason 85 ft was used as the minimum is because a punt with a 4.6 second hang time(NFL average) has a height just under 85 ft. A punt with a 4.7ish hang time gets up around 90 feet.

JudynTX
08-22-2009, 11:47 AM

:rolleyes Quote from JJ -

Jerry Jones wasn't happy with the kick, not so much because he felt that somebody on his engineering team screwed up by placing the video boards too low, but because he seems to think that Trapasso was trying to hit the board on purpose. When asked whether he thought the scoreboard should be raised higher, Jones snapped:

"That's not the point. How high is high if somebody just wants to sit there and kick straight up?

"If you look at how you punt the football, unless you're trying to hit the scoreboard, you punt the ball to get downfield. You certainly want to get some hangtime, but you punt the ball to get downfield, and you sure don't punt the ball down the middle. You punt it off to the side."

I didn't know JJ used to be a punter.

Slydragon
08-22-2009, 11:58 AM
fjx6vsR71sg

Kermit
08-22-2009, 11:59 AM
I hate Jerry's guts but I'm on his side with this one.

1. The NFL approved it and Jerry even went above the mandated height.

2. The punter looked like he was doing it on purpose.

Punters should get used to it and avoid it because it's probably not getting moved.

Taco
08-22-2009, 12:02 PM

I saw this happen two years ago I asked a the question to a former NFL official

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-071212askjerrymarkbreit,0,1508908.story

During the Cowboys-Lions game, Tony Romo threw a pass which was deflected and hit the floating camera. Is this a live ball for an interception? --

Whenever a live ball strikes or is deflected by something not a part of the field, the down is replayed. If a ball hits the floating camera, the down is replayed. This rule came into effect years ago when Oakland Raider punter Ray Guy hit the gondola on the roof of the New Orleans Superdome. The down was replayed and the officials refer to this situation as "the gondola rule."

08-22-2009, 12:08 PM
I don't think it's just the height. That monstrosity's ass end has to cover at least 6,000 square feet.

Can you imagine if that thing ever came down like the one in the HSBC Arena did?

Kermit
08-22-2009, 12:11 PM
I don't think it's just the height. That monstrosity's ass end has to cover at least 6,000 square feet.

Can you imagine if that thing ever came down like the one in the HSBC Arena did?

I'm sure as a Lions fan, having the Cowboys scoreboard come down on your team wouldn't be such a bad idea.

08-22-2009, 12:12 PM
I'm sure as a Lions fan, having the Cowboys scoreboard come down on your team wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Nah, just Millen and Ford Sr.

Kermit
08-22-2009, 12:16 PM
Nah, just Millen and Ford Sr.

As long as it misses Cal. I need him this season.

jack sommerset
08-22-2009, 12:57 PM
I hate Jerry's guts but I'm on his side with this one.

1. The NFL approved it and Jerry even went above the mandated height.

2. The punter looked like he was doing it on purpose.

Punters should get used to it and avoid it because it's probably not getting moved.

I agree it is not Jerry's fault but disagree that the punter tried to hit the video durning the game. Punters will have ZERO choice but to use to it. Reminds me of that giant green wall in Boston.

PeterBurns
08-22-2009, 01:46 PM
The are moving it this morning as we speak. $200K to do so.
Came down from Goodell this morning.

Spursfan092120
08-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the info Peter...can always count on you to keep us informed.

BSofA04
08-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Goodell with the smackdown on JJ. lol.

Spursfan092120
08-22-2009, 02:19 PM
Goodell with the smackdown on JJ. lol.
Doubtful..I'm sure JJ wanted it up. Our special teams sucks as it is..the last thing we need is less hang time on punts to make it worse.

Spursfan092120
08-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the info Peter...can always count on you to keep us informed.

samikeyp
08-22-2009, 03:12 PM

Ray Guy is coming back? :)

samikeyp
08-22-2009, 03:14 PM

What's funny is people who give a rat's ass about a scoreboard.

kidd_91
08-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Seems to me the only one making a big deal about the board was Fisher, and since he is co-chair of the competition committee the league is looking into it. Fisher should worry more about the ass handing they received and less about a scoreboard in a stadium he won't be playing in all year long.

gaKNOW!blee
08-22-2009, 03:47 PM
What's funny is people who give a rat's ass about a scoreboard.

If I'm a punter and I kill the ball at a crucial point in the game and it hits the scoreboard...then i have to re-kick and i shank it or just hit it average, i'm gonna be fucking pissed.

It's actually a bigger deal than people are admitting.

redskinfan
08-22-2009, 04:21 PM
lol Dallas Cowboys Stadium

Spursfan092120
08-22-2009, 04:37 PM
lol people who are still talking about it being a problem in the season. Burnsy already said this earlier...pay attention....it's already taken care of..

Spursfan092120
08-22-2009, 04:37 PM
lol Redskins

samikeyp
08-22-2009, 04:46 PM
If I'm a punter and I kill the ball at a crucial point in the game and it hits the scoreboard...then i have to re-kick and i shank it or just hit it average, i'm gonna be fucking pissed.

It's actually a bigger deal than people are admitting.

Not really since the problem can and will be fixed.

If the problem could not be fixed, then it would be a big deal. Preseason is about working out the kinks and that is what they are doing.

Some just look for reasons to drop hate. Its cool though, that is part of being fans and rivals.

jack sommerset
08-22-2009, 04:52 PM
Not really since the problem can and will be fixed.

If the problem could not be fixed, then it would be a big deal. Preseason is about working out the kinks and that is what they are doing.

Some just look for reasons to drop hate. Its cool though, that is part of being fans and rivals.

If they don't move the screen out of reach the problem can't be fixed. In some cases the punter with have to kick differently. Again it is the NFL leagues fault this has happened.

Spursfan092120
08-22-2009, 05:00 PM
This is straight from ESPN....guess it's not handled quite yet...

Jones was adamant that the video screen was built to "league specifications and he had no intentions of raising it to a higher level, but a source indicated that a preliminary discussion already has occurred as to the logistics and costs of such a change. The source said any correction would cost at least $2 million.
The discussion was specific enough, the source said, that if it is safe and feasible to make an alteration to the screen, the Cowboys have a window of opportunity after their Sept. 28 "Monday Night Football" home game against Carolina because they do not return to Cowboys Stadium until Oct. 25 vs. Atlanta. Jones reportedly planned to temporarily raise the board by 25 feet to accommodate sightlines for a scheduled U2 concert in October.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4416217

I hope they just raise it. If they can do it for a sorry ass band like U2, they can do it for football.

redskinfan
08-22-2009, 06:16 PM
lol people who are still talking about it being a problem in the season. Burnsy already said this earlier...pay attention....it's already taken care of..

Burnsy? you know how I know your GAY?

bresilhac
08-22-2009, 06:29 PM
If they don't move the screen out of reach the problem can't be fixed. In some cases the punter with have to kick differently. Again it is the NFL leagues fault this has happened.

How is it the leagues fault for this stupid mistake? Looks like to me that it was inept design engineers that failed on this one. And how can a punter punt differently? That's just plain stupid. A punter should be able to punt the ball regardless of any design flaws in the building he is punting in.

jack sommerset
08-22-2009, 07:10 PM
How is it the leagues fault for this stupid mistake? Looks like to me that it was inept design engineers that failed on this one. And how can a punter punt differently? That's just plain stupid. A punter should be able to punt the ball regardless of any design flaws in the building he is punting in.

:lol Are you kidding? Hopefully you are but if not the league told them how high or I should say low the screen can go.lol at the engineers fault. I feel silly answering this post. "How can a punter punt differently?" Common sense should tell you the punter better not punt it high or it could hit the screen DOH.

FYI you can punt a spiral,pooch,spin,long drive,high,over etc....

Kermit
08-22-2009, 07:16 PM
The competition commitee is going to review it. Goodell hasn't said shit. I don't know where Burns is getting his info. If he has a link, he should post it.

Spursfan092120
08-22-2009, 07:51 PM
The competition commitee is going to review it. Goodell hasn't said shit. I don't know where Burns is getting his info. If he has a link, he should post it.
Burns is a radio guy...I would normally just agree with what he says..but ESPN says different.

Betsy
08-22-2009, 08:57 PM
First of all that IDIOT owner had the new stadium built like shit.
Then he takes away them being the Dallas cowboys.
So what are they the Arlington cowboys now?
He is an asshole for sure :p:

jack sommerset
08-22-2009, 09:07 PM

I hate that prick. He is indeed a asshole.

Spursfan092120
08-22-2009, 09:28 PM
They're still the Dallas Cowboys...a lot of people have their stadiums in different cities than what they're named..The New York Giants play in New Jersey, as do the Jets. The Los Angeles Angels play in Anaheim. It's a very common trend. The new stadium was completely built to specifications...nothing wrong at all with it. Because a punter hits the television with the ball isn't Jerry's fault. McBriar didn't have a problem with it, and said he wouldn't have a problem with it. He punted great. That "asshole" has given the Cowboys 3 Super Bowls. I, for one, as a fan, am grateful.

BUMP
08-22-2009, 09:34 PM

the lol game kind of loses its purpose when you lol one of the biggest wins in athletic stadium history.

Even funnier coming from the NFC Easts laughing stock

Spursfan092120
08-22-2009, 09:36 PM
the lol game kind of loses its purpose when you lol one of the biggest wins in athletic stadium history.

Even funnier coming from the NFC Easts laughing stock
exactly what I was thinking. We seem to get along when it comes to the Cowboys. It's going to be hard for me to tell you to fuck off come basketball season..lol

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-22-2009, 10:17 PM
No big deal, at least to me.

We'll see about that when Nick Folk kicks a perfect field goal that gets knocked down by a score board, replays the down, and shanks it.

Spursfan092120
08-22-2009, 10:20 PM
We'll see about that when Nick Folk kicks a perfect field goal that gets knocked down by a score board, replays the down, and shanks it.
where the tv is, it will not affect field goals...it's not possible....unless Nick Folk is lining up for about a 70+ yard field goal..and I don't think he'll get that distance. It's way too high for field goals.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-22-2009, 10:25 PM
where the tv is, it will not affect field goals...it's not possible....unless Nick Folk is lining up for about a 70+ yard field goal..and I don't think he'll get that distance. It's way too high for field goals.

Nick Folk is a stud. He could kick a 100 yard field goal.

Spursfan092120
08-22-2009, 10:26 PM
Nick Folk is a stud. He could kick a 100 yard field goal.
:lmao:lmao He kicks like 54 yards..and is pretty damn accurate...

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-22-2009, 10:28 PM
:lmao:lmao He kicks like 54 yards..and is pretty damn accurate...

He went to UA, a 54 yard FG is like a chip shot to him.

EricB
08-22-2009, 10:28 PM

lol Daniel Snyder
lol jim zorn

Spursfan092120
08-22-2009, 10:29 PM
He went to UA, a 54 yard FG is like a chip shot to him.
lol...ah I gotcha...so, does this mean you like Sean Elliott and Steve Kerr too? :D

Spursfan092120
08-22-2009, 10:29 PM
lol Daniel Snyder
lol jim zorn
lol Jason Campbell

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-22-2009, 10:31 PM
lol...ah I gotcha...so, does this mean you like Sean Elliott and Steve Kerr too? :D

And Richard Jefferson.

But Kerr sucks.

Spursfan092120
08-22-2009, 10:32 PM
And Richard Jefferson.

But Kerr sucks.
lol..I knew it. So...you are like one or two players away from officially being a Spurs fan...lol

Go For Tree
08-24-2009, 03:18 PM
Good thing you are not a fan, so nothing for you to worry about. Being a disgruntled lions fan, I'd venture to say you have bigger worries to deal with.

The league minimum height is 85 feet. The awesome cowboys HD screens are at 90 feet. Stephen Jones said they can be raised if need.

No worries for this Cowboys fan. The stadium looks freakin amazing.

Boom.

Its pretty simple and not a big deal to begin with. You pretty much have to try and hit them with a kick consistently and it seemed the backup punter for the titans was trying to. Will it happen every so often? Sure, but its not a big deal unless a punter does it repeadedly on 4th down to run off more time from the game clock. The NFL rule states you must replay the down but they do not add time back on the gameclock.

Spursfan092120
08-24-2009, 03:24 PM
Boom.

Its pretty simple and not a big deal to begin with. You pretty much have to try and hit them with a kick consistently and it seemed the backup punter for the titans was trying to. Will it happen every so often? Sure, but its not a big deal unless a punter does it repeadedly on 4th down to run off more time from the game clock. The NFL rule states you must replay the down but they do not add time back on the gameclock.
They're actually discussing putting time back on the clock too for these instances, if they don't get him to raise it.

Bigzax
08-24-2009, 03:36 PM
awesome scoreboard. :tu

44-6 would have looked awesome to see up on that thing.

Betsy
08-24-2009, 06:19 PM
They're actually discussing putting time back on the clock too for these instances, if they don't get him to raise it.

Then tell the asshole Jones to raise the fuking thing so their is no thing like take time off or put time back on.
Actually it makes me :lmao

Spursfan092120
08-24-2009, 06:22 PM
Then tell the asshole Jones to raise the fuking thing so their is no thing like take time off or put time back on.
Actually it makes me :lmao
Would it make you laugh if you made sure you followed every specification of the NFL, even making sure it was 5 ft higher than the specifications, and they're trying to get you to spend $2 million to raise the board even though they told you it was ok?

IceColdBrewski
08-24-2009, 07:58 PM
$2 million to raise the board

That's a lotta Botox.

Spursfan092120
08-24-2009, 08:03 PM
That's a lotta Botox.
shit...he couldn't get any more botox.

IceColdBrewski
08-24-2009, 08:24 PM
From profootballtalk.com:

Source: "Do over" not a realistic solution in Dallas

Posted by Mike Florio on August 22, 2009 4:35 PM ET

Regardless of the precise procedure that will apply to the handling of the oversized video board hanging from the rafters of the brand-new Cowboys Stadium, a league source tells us that something will need to be done.

Per the source, the "do over" option doesn't represent a viable long-term for dealing with punts that bounce off the structure.

The approach isn't nearly as simple as it might sound. As Tom Curran pointed out earlier today, the "gunners" on the punt coverage team will be gassed after the first try.

Other potential problems include properly resetting the clock for the "do over," along with the possibility that some of the penalties occurring during a play that didn't count can't be ignored, such as personal fouls.

As the source explained it, the league office and/or the Competition Committee will make a list of all potential consequences of the "do over" option, and then make a list of all potential alternatives.

The biggest problem? Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, a key player in the coming labor showdown, already has made it clear that he won't be happy with anything other than the "do over" scenario. Also, Jones will point out that the league approved the stadium design, and that the league knew all along the 240-foot board would be hanging 90 feet over the playing surface.

As the source explained it, the league meticulously reviews the plans for each proposed stadium, and ensures that there will be no problems. So Jones (perhaps justifiably) will be more than a little miffed if told that he needs to find a way to pull the video screens higher or, if that can't be done, take the thing down.

Still, there's a certain irony to the fact that the mammoth, four-sided movie-screen structure has created what could turn out to be a huge mess. As legend has it, Texas Stadium was built with a hole in the roof so that God could watch his favorite team play. Though Jones was wise to replicate the feature in the new Cowboys Stadium, he never should have blocked the Alpha and the Omega Fan's

possessed
08-24-2009, 08:46 PM
"do-over"... LMAO. As if people dying during the construction isn't enough. Jerruh's billion dollar tomb is so high-tech that street football rules may be applied when the games are played. This isn't any different than when you kicked a ball into a tree when you played with the neighborhood kids way back when. Brilliant!

Spursfan092120
08-24-2009, 08:55 PM
people dying during the construction
link? proof? wtf are you talking about?

possessed
08-24-2009, 09:05 PM
link? proof? wtf are you talking about?

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/cowboysstadium/stories/DN-stadiumaccident_15met.ART.West.Edition1.4e0e45a.ht ml

Typical Cowboys fan, casually following what goes on. I'm sure you'll get a new hat if they make the Superbowl.

Spursfan092120
08-24-2009, 09:20 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/cowboysstadium/stories/DN-stadiumaccident_15met.ART.West.Edition1.4e0e45a.ht ml

Typical Cowboys fan, casually following what goes on. I'm sure you'll get a new hat if they make the Superbowl.
wow..I didn't know that. And I'm sorry if I don't feel the need to keep an eye every day on the development of a stadium. I have been a Cowboys fan since the early '80s. As soon as I knew what football was, I was a Cowboy fan. Shut your hole.

samikeyp
08-24-2009, 09:44 PM

I guess that makes me atypical because I knew about this. :tu

:)

samikeyp
08-24-2009, 09:45 PM
The screens are supposed to be raised for the upcoming U2 concert anyway. I can see them raised and "oh well, we decided to leave them there" :lol

Spursfan092120
08-24-2009, 09:49 PM
The screens are supposed to be raised for the upcoming U2 concert anyway. I can see them raised and "oh well, we decided to leave them there" :lol
I don't know....
http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/08/cowboys-comment-on-digital-board.html

SpurNation
08-24-2009, 09:59 PM

Not hard. But on that one possession the oposing teams could see something that they would not be able to correct at the time. Having a re-kick allows them to correct any alignment that they would view to their disadvantage.

A game shouldn't be played that way.

possessed
08-24-2009, 10:23 PM
I guess that makes me atypical because I knew about this. :tu

:)

You're one in a million.

Spursfan092120
08-24-2009, 10:39 PM
You're one in a million.
as are you

thank God

possessed
08-24-2009, 11:29 PM
thank God

Not quite.

SpuronyourFace
08-25-2009, 12:18 AM
NFL's fault really. They told Jerry it had to be at least 85 feet high. Jerry had it at 90 feet high. If they want the Cowboys to raise it, Im sure Jerry will make them pay the 2 million to do it.

But fuck all that, it'll get resolved. The stadium is awesome and head above all others.

lol @ the fool who even brought Fed-Ex field up.

rjv
08-25-2009, 09:13 AM
i'm a cowboys fan who hates jerry jones immensely. if not for the fact that they were my dad's team i would have defected by now. jones is the definition of hubris and that scoreboard is symbolic of who he is.

manufan10
08-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Not hard. But on that one possession the oposing teams could see something that they would not be able to correct at the time. Having a re-kick allows them to correct any alignment that they would view to their disadvantage.

A game shouldn't be played that way.

I don't buy that. There won't be enough time for them to correct the alignment, unless they call a timeout. It's not that big of a deal. Just line up and do it over. It's better than keeping the ball fair, and teams having to play it. That would help the return team more than anyone else.

I don't have a problem with it, and to me it's not that big of a deal. It's something that will interfere with both teams, so it's not like the Cowboys have some kind of advantage.

manufan10
08-25-2009, 10:31 AM
DEAN MARTELLI - AUSTIN, TX: I sent this mailbag question a year ago. Isn't the video board going to be hit by punts? Embarrassing, and now this is all people are going to talk about instead of the grandness of the stadium. How could this happen and what should be done?
Nick: For starters, the NFL should probably change its own regulation that video boards must hang 85 feet. Since this one is 90 feet and one punter hit it in a preseason game, then maybe that's the first thing that needs to be done. As for this stadium, they're going to see what happens for now. The Cowboys are convinced you won't hit the board unless you just go for it. And it's not in the punting team's best interest to try and kick two or three in a row like that. That's when you'll give up a huge return. I say for now, see what happens. But if there was anyone at the game who came away from the night talking about the punt hitting the board, I feel sorry for them.
Josh: For 20 minutes we watched Mat McBriar and Sam Paulescu trying to hit the board at the Alamodome in 2007, trying to kick it as high as they could so the club could measure how high the thing needed to be hoisted. They settled on 90 feet, five higher than the NFL rule. Though there's talk it could be raised, I think Jerry likes it at that level, so unless the NFL makes him change it by changing its own rule (which I doubt it would in the middle of the season like we are now) it may stay this way for a while. It's really just not that big a deal.
Rob: Can't imagine raising the board is a simple, inexpensive process. All I know is the league approved the height of the board, so it meets NFL standards at this point. Can punters hit it if they're trying for major hang time? Sure, most of them probably can. A.J. Trapasso has a very strong leg. Not sure what will change, if anything, but this shouldn't take away from a special opening night.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/news.cfm?id=4D7ECE32-0242-F6E7-31581D5D4A9DB9F4&contentType=5

CubanSucks
08-25-2009, 04:45 PM
i'm a cowboys fan who hates jerry jones immensely. if not for the fact that they were my dad's team i would have defected by now. jones is the definition of hubris and that scoreboard is symbolic of who he is.

:lol True. It's amazing how naive some people can be in hear about how big of a deal this really is. Or at least how big of a deal it will become over the next few games when this happens at least once a game. And I KNOW, it is the NFL's fault, but that's irrelevant to what I'm saying

Spursfan092120
08-25-2009, 06:50 PM
:lol True. It's amazing how naive some people can be in hear about how big of a deal this really is. Or at least how big of a deal it will become over the next few games when this happens at least once a game. And I KNOW, it is the NFL's fault, but that's irrelevant to what I'm saying
So what exactly are you saying? That Jerry Jones should just fork over the $2 million even though the NFL perused over every inch of that plan for over a week and found nothing wrong with it? Even though he went 5 feet above the specifications? Would you like to pay the $2 million for it?

CubanSucks
08-25-2009, 07:18 PM
So what exactly are you saying? That Jerry Jones should just fork over the $2 million even though the NFL perused over every inch of that plan for over a week and found nothing wrong with it? Even though he went 5 feet above the specifications? Would you like to pay the $2 million for it?

I believe the NFL should pay for it. But the main point I'm trying to make is that it's definately not something that can just be ignored. If ANYTHING disrupts any gameplay it has to be fixed. And yes, the NFL should pay for it and then change their specifications.

Spursfan092120
08-25-2009, 09:19 PM
I believe the NFL should pay for it. But the main point I'm trying to make is that it's definately not something that can just be ignored. If ANYTHING disrupts any gameplay it has to be fixed. And yes, the NFL should pay for it and then change their specifications.
soooo...when Tony Romo had a pass thrown that hit one of the wire cameras in the middle of the field, that wasn't changed...and when Romo said something needed to be done, everybody acted like he was a prima donna. I guess it's a double standard for the Cowboys? The NFL will not pay for it..that's the problem. If the NFL was going to pay for it, Jerry might do it...but they expect him to do it.

CubanSucks
08-25-2009, 10:13 PM
soooo...when Tony Romo had a pass thrown that hit one of the wire cameras in the middle of the field, that wasn't changed...and when Romo said something needed to be done, everybody acted like he was a prima donna. I guess it's a double standard for the Cowboys? The NFL will not pay for it..that's the problem. If the NFL was going to pay for it, Jerry might do it...but they expect him to do it.

Never heard anything about that but if I had I would have been just as pissed as Romo. BTW I don't have a favorite NFL team so, not really an NFL fan in general, so I have nothing against the Cowboys.

Spursfan092120
08-26-2009, 01:35 AM
Never heard anything about that but if I had I would have been just as pissed as Romo. BTW I don't have a favorite NFL team so, not really an NFL fan in general, so I have nothing against the Cowboys.
I didn't think you did have anything against Dallas, but a lot of people do..and I was addressing them.

DMX7
08-26-2009, 01:57 AM
That's a lotta Botox.

Jerry doesn't do Botox. He does surgery as often.

Spurtacus
08-26-2009, 02:11 AM
Love the stadium. Hate the scoreboard. Just screams season ending injury on an unnecessary repunt.

Obstructed_View
08-26-2009, 06:48 PM
And just to clarify: There are no "cheap seats".

DPG21920
08-26-2009, 07:00 PM
I see what you did there Mr. $29 section!

Spursfan092120
08-26-2009, 08:38 PM
New Cowboys Scoreboard Should Stay at Current Height (http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2009/08/26/new-cowboys-scoreboard-should-stay-at-current-height/)

Posted by David Quinn under Dallas Cowboys (http://www.nflgridirongab.com/category/nfl/dallas-cowboys/)

http://www.cowboysgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/stadium-scoreboard.jpg
The NFL Competition Committee met earlier this week to discuss the scoreboard in the Cowboys new stadium based on one punt striking it during the preseason opener against the Titans. Now the decision, if any, is in the hands of commissioner Roger Goodell who is expected to make some type of ruling prior to the Saturday night game at the stadium when the Cowboys host the 49?ers.
Let’s review the facts of this a little and I think it should be clear to everyone that there is really no issue at all. First, Jerry Jones researched, requested and got approval from the league prior to building the stadium with the scoreboard set at its present height of 90?, which is actually 5? above the league minimum of 85? for any stadium structure in the NFL. Second, the Titans’ punters were intentionally trying to hit the scoreboard in pre-game warmups as kind of a joke/bet thing with both Jones and Wade Phillips. Later, it appears that the back-up punter, Trapasso, did hit the scoreboard again during the game. This is quite possibly because it was the third quarter of a preseason game in which his team was way behind which begs the question of would he, or any punter, have done so in a true game situation.
I don’t believe he, or anyone, would since all it would do is require a re-kick and makes his team go through the entire punt coverage and kick scenario again. This would not be a wise decision since it is common knowledge that kicking the football at anytime is one of the most precarious aspects of the game. Many things can go wrong on a kick-off, field goal try or punt which is why the NFL has actually changed many rules regarding these during the past several years.
For instance, now, when a kick-off goes out of bounds, the ball is placed on the 40-yard line (actually 30-yards from the spot of the kick or at the out-of-bounds spot) and possession automatically goes to the receiving team. I’m sure most of us remember when this was only a 5-yard Delay-of-game penalty and the ball was re-kicked. This was not a good scenario and most team owners actually lobbied to have it changed. Nowadays, most of the time there is a penalty on a kicking situation, the team with the choice to re-kick or take the spot of the foul, will accept the spot of the foul as opposed to re-kicking.
Everyone seems to want to blame Jerry Jones for not moving the scoreboard voluntarily or for putting it there in the first place. These people are simply out-of-touch with reality. As noted before, the scoreboard is well above league minimums, it is one of the highlights of a stadium that Mr. Jones put a lot of time, money and attention into and it is a great assistance to the fans watching the game who actually paid to be there. It’s his stadium, it’s within the rules, so enough is enough. Let the scoreboard stay where it is!

Bold part is interesting....
http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2009/08/26/new-cowboys-scoreboard-should-stay-at-current-height/

Obstructed_View
08-26-2009, 10:43 PM
I see what you did there Mr. $29 section!

I wish I'd meant it that way.

From what I've seen of that section, they're on the ends so you can't see the big scoreboard, and since it's flat, only the first row or two will be able to actually see the football field. It'll be like the "seats are an afterthought level" in the AA center where people go to games to mingle and be seen rather than to watch the game. That happens a lot in Dallas.

Spursfan092120
08-26-2009, 10:50 PM

I wish I'd meant it that way.

From what I've seen of that section, they're on the ends so you can't see the big scoreboard, and since it's flat, only the first row or two will be able to actually see the football field. It'll be like the "seats are an afterthought level" in the AA center where people go to games to mingle and be seen rather than to watch the game. That happens a lot in Dallas.
Seats from the party pass deck...I'd do it...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff122/mrformaldehyde/preseason2.jpg

Dex
08-27-2009, 02:45 PM
Seats from the party pass deck...I'd do it...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff122/mrformaldehyde/preseason2.jpg

I'd be down for the party pass deck as long as they don't oversell it. You won't be able to see the game very well if you have a wall of people 6 thick standing in front of the rails.

Spursfan092120
08-27-2009, 02:56 PM
I'd be down for the party pass deck as long as they don't oversell it. You won't be able to see the game very well if you have a wall of people 6 thick standing in front of the rails.
This is true...I'm pretty sure they have a limit..not sure what it is though.

manufan10
08-27-2009, 03:20 PM
I'm down for the party boat.... er I mean deck.

Spursfan092120
08-27-2009, 03:56 PM
I'm down for the party boat.... er I mean deck.
lol Minnesota Vikings

manufan10
08-28-2009, 09:44 AM
Basically, it's a do-over.
The NFL has ruled on what happens if footballs hit the massive video display board that hangs over the field at Cowboys Stadium.

The down will be replayed and the clock will be reset.
The replay official will have the power to institute a booth review without a coach's challenge to determine if a ball has hit the video board.
Coaches, however, can also throw a red flag to challenge on close plays.
Commissioner Roger Goodell said that the Cowboys have been very cooperative and that the league and the team will continue to work on a long-term solution to the issue.
Chris Mortensen is a senior NFL analyst for ESPN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4428556

Kermit
08-28-2009, 10:20 AM
So much for them raising it.

manufan10
08-28-2009, 10:57 AM
So much for them raising it.

In order for them to raise it the league would have to change their rule of setting the scoreboard 85 feet in the air. They followed the rule, and even have it raised 5 feet higher than what was mandated. I don't think it's going to be that big of a deal throughout the season.

jb4g
08-28-2009, 02:14 PM

they are going to oversell it, they said they can accomodate 32k fans with party passes each game. They showed some video of the areas during the titans game, and i dont think you could see shit unless you were right in front, atleast the 2 large sections i saw, maybe there are others that arent so bad. Id think id pay a bit more for an actual seat to put my butt in

jack sommerset
08-28-2009, 03:39 PM
:lmao at NFL for letting this shit go on. I heard Crayton say on the radio yesterday that the ball goes through rails without touching the screen all the time. Jerry is doing his best to sell the ideal this is good for them. They have the edge. Cowboys have one of the worst special teams in the NFL and this won't help matters. This will back fire on the boys.

This is a circus attraction that will effect football games.

LakerHater
08-28-2009, 03:56 PM
So, wouldnt this just delay the game a great deal!!

Ya know, say a punter wants to pin'em inside the 10 with great hang time and a chance for his teammates to down it but, it keeps hitting the "JerrahTron"!

jack sommerset
08-28-2009, 04:42 PM
I have doubts about Jones. Somebody had to say "Jerry, a punter will be able to hit this thing" In his freaked out brain he was thinking this could only help his team. Billion dollar stadium, the talk of the sports world and he has this huge fucking flaw. No way! He is fucked up in the brain. How pathetic. U2 is having a concert there and they being U2 are paying for it to be raised for the concert because they have a 97 foot high stage and the screen is 90 feet high. They say it will cost about a million to do it.

Spursfan092120
08-28-2009, 11:23 PM
I have doubts about Jones. Somebody had to say "Jerry, a punter will be able to hit this thing" In his freaked out brain he was thinking this could only help his team. Billion dollar stadium, the talk of the sports world and he has this huge fucking flaw. No way! He is fucked up in the brain. How pathetic. U2 is having a concert there and they being U2 are paying for it to be raised for the concert because they have a 97 foot high stage and the screen is 90 feet high. They say it will cost about a million to do it.
Actually, it's about 2 million...the fact is, the board is in a good spot for the fans to view it. It's 5 feet above regulations, and the Tennessee punter actually bet Jerry he could hit it. Matt McBriar, one of the best punters in the league, said he would not have a problem with the board when he punted. Besides..the NFL has only stated they will allow them to keep it up this season...they'll probably make them change it in the offseason, since the Superbowl will be there next year. They'll probably just change the rule of where the board can hang.

jack sommerset
08-29-2009, 08:09 AM
Actually, it's about 2 million...the fact is, the board is in a good spot for the fans to view it. It's 5 feet above regulations, and the Tennessee punter actually bet Jerry he could hit it. Matt McBriar, one of the best punters in the league, said he would not have a problem with the board when he punted. Besides..the NFL has only stated they will allow them to keep it up this season...they'll probably make them change it in the offseason, since the Superbowl will be there next year. They'll probably just change the rule of where the board can hang.

Did you see they party pass tickets? 30 bucks. Honestly if they were not selling so many they would be perfect. If you get there early enough you will have a great place to watch the game.

I'm not sure about this but I thought I heard the specs for how high something had to be was from 50 years ago. The colts built there new stadium and had the common sense to have there punter go out and punt some balls before they decided how high to hang. I really think Jones is a freak. No internet bullshit with that statement. I don't see the point of all this trouble.I don't understand why anyone would want to effect the game by doing something like this.

I live in Big D so you get alot of local coverage. Jones said he did not bet the punter.They also said in the contract with U2 it would cost about a million but who cares when you are talking about 1.1 billion to build the whole thing. The league should pay what ever the cost is because they should have updated their specs. Thats not to say Jones should have used common sense (all the people building this thing) and have punters actually go out there before they built this thing.They say to raise the screen for the U2 concert is a quick fix. In order to do it right would cost ALOT more and take a long time. Thats why I think the league is not doing it now.I honestly don't know if we will find out anytime soon as to why they did this stupid thing. Do it on purpose so his team has the advantage (stupid) or they never thought anyone would hit the screen (stupid)

Spursfan092120
08-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Did you see they party pass tickets? 30 bucks. Honestly if they were not selling so many they would be perfect. If you get there early enough you will have a great place to watch the game.

I'm not sure about this but I thought I heard the specs for how high something had to be was from 50 years ago. The colts built there new stadium and had the common sense to have there punter go out and punt some balls before they decided how high to hang. I really think Jones is a freak. No internet bullshit with that statement. I don't see the point of all this trouble.I don't understand why anyone would want to effect the game by doing something like this.

I live in Big D so you get alot of local coverage. Jones said he did not bet the punter.They also said in the contract with U2 it would cost about a million but who cares when you are talking about 1.1 billion to build the whole thing. The league should pay what ever the cost is because they should have updated their specs. Thats not to say Jones should have used common sense (all the people building this thing) and have punters actually go out there before they built this thing.They say to raise the screen for the U2 concert is a quick fix. In order to do it right would cost ALOT more and take a long time. Thats why I think the league is not doing it now.I honestly don't know if we will find out anytime soon as to why they did this stupid thing. Do it on purpose so his team has the advantage (stupid) or they never thought anyone would hit the screen (stupid)
Yeah..the Cowboys did that too. They had McBriar go out there and do it too...but they had him punt straight up. In a game, you're not going to just punt straight up...you're going to punt towards the sidelines or forward. I agree that the league should pay, and if they were going to pay, Jones probably would have done it. But the way I see it is this..the guy just forked over 1.2 billion dollars for this stadium, with the complete and total approval of the NFL. Then they tried to tell him that he was going to have to pay $2 million to raise it. Rich people don't get rich by forking over $2 million on something they were told they'd never have to do. Now, next year will probably be different. With the SB being played in Dallas, the NFL has some leverage, and it probably will be moved. Of course, the NFL could just completely change the rule of how high video boards have to be during the offseason, and force him to do it anyway. That's what I expect.

jack sommerset
08-29-2009, 08:24 PM
Yeah..the Cowboys did that too. They had McBriar go out there and do it too...but they had him punt straight up. In a game, you're not going to just punt straight up...you're going to punt towards the sidelines or forward. I agree that the league should pay, and if they were going to pay, Jones probably would have done it. But the way I see it is this..the guy just forked over 1.2 billion dollars for this stadium, with the complete and total approval of the NFL. Then they tried to tell him that he was going to have to pay $2 million to raise it. Rich people don't get rich by forking over $2 million on something they were told they'd never have to do. Now, next year will probably be different. With the SB being played in Dallas, the NFL has some leverage, and it probably will be moved. Of course, the NFL could just completely change the rule of how high video boards have to be during the offseason, and force him to do it anyway. That's what I expect.

Good point

Obstructed_View
08-30-2009, 01:58 PM
*RING*
RG: Hi, Jerry. It's Roger.
JJ: Staubach? Do you have a cold? You sound like shit.
RG: Um, no. Roger Goodell. The Commissioner.
JJ: Oh, that Roger. What's up?
RG: Well we just got together and had a talk, and we've decided that we're gonna need you to raise that scoreboard.
JJ: No problem. I can have it done for less than three million. Who should I send the bill to?
RG: Excuse me?
JJ: Well, you see Roger, the stadium is finished. When we were still building the stadium I asked for specifications on everything, including the video screens. I have the letter signed by your office telling us how high above the field it needed to be.
RG: But Jerry, this is becoming a public relations embarrassment.
JJ: For you maybe, but not for the Dallas Cowboahs. Every time they talk about it on ESPN, my merchandising share goes up. If you'd like to pay for moving the video screen, let me know. If you're worried about bad press, you should probably be talking to Jeff Fisher and his dumbass punter, not me. Thanks, and have a nice day.
*Click*
RG: Jerry? Jerry? Shit...Elaine, Get Chad Johnson on the phone, I need to suspend someone.

samikeyp
08-30-2009, 02:42 PM
*RING*
RG: Well we just got together and had a talk, and we've decided that we're gonna need you to raise that scoreboard.
JJ: No problem. I can have it done for less than three million. Who should I send the bill to?
JJ: Well, you see Roger, the stadium is finished. When we were still building the stadium I asked for specifications on everything, including the video screens. I have the letter signed by your office telling us how high above the field it needed to be.
JJ: For you maybe, but not for the Dallas Cowboahs. Every time they talk about it on ESPN, my merchandising share goes up. If you'd like to pay for moving the video screen, let me know. If you're worried about bad press, you should probably be talking to Jeff Fisher and his dumbass punter, not me. Thanks, and have a nice day.
*Click*
RG: Jerry? Jerry? Shit...Elaine, Get Chad Johnson on the phone, I need to suspend someone.

:rollin

Spursfan092120
08-30-2009, 07:55 PM
*RING*
*Click*
That is absolutely phenomenal....:lmao:lmao

Spursfan092120
09-04-2009, 01:31 AM
Goodell: Cowboys' video board not a significant problem

Sep. 3, 2009
CBSSports.com wire reports

NEW YORK -- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell says the video boards in the new Cowboys Stadium won't present a significant problem for punters.
After Titans punter A.J. Trapasso hit the video board at the $1.3 billion facility in Arlington, Texas, on Aug. 21, the league altered its playing rules. The boards hang at 90 feet, which is 5 feet higher than NFL guidelines.
When asked how concerned he was about punters consistently hitting the bottom of the video screens, Goodell responded: "One kick in a preseason game?"
"What's become clear from research is that up to 85 feet , and that's our guideline," he said. "Above that is not supported by our research."
[I]
Copyright 2009 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of STATS LLC and The Associated Press is strictly prohibited.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/12154019/rss

manufan10
09-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Weird how during the 49ers/Cowboys game, no punts hit the scoreboard.

Spursfan092120
09-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Weird how during the 49ers/Cowboys game, no punts hit the scoreboard.
yeah...I think the Titans punter was full of shit...just trying to mess with people.

Obstructed_View
09-05-2009, 01:01 PM
McBriar hit one last night in Minnesota that might have hit the scoreboard in Dallas. It seems odd that the Cowboys wouldn't have taken into account that their punter is about the best weapon the team has, and they potentially just hamstrung themselves.

manufan10
09-05-2009, 09:07 PM
McBriar hit one last night in Minnesota that might have hit the scoreboard in Dallas. It seems odd that the Cowboys wouldn't have taken into account that their punter is about the best weapon the team has, and they potentially just hamstrung themselves.

McBriar has already stated that the scoreboard doesn't affect him or how he punts. He says it won't be a problem for him. I'll go with his word over anyone who says it's a problem.

Obstructed_View
09-05-2009, 09:09 PM
McBriar has already stated that the scoreboard doesn't affect him or how he punts. He says it won't be a problem for him. I'll go with his word over anyone who says it's a problem.

And so will I until he hits it. I'm simply stating that I think that boomer he hit last night would have.

manufan10
09-05-2009, 09:11 PM
:tu

jack sommerset
11-22-2009, 01:11 PM
Appears this was all about nothing.

leemajors
11-22-2009, 03:24 PM
These are the two worst offensive performances I have ever seen by a "professional" team - players and ESP Garrett. He needs to be fired, he is the most predictable playcaller I have ever seen.

Go For Tree
01-05-2010, 11:58 AM
So we had to wait until the end of the regular season, but not a single punt ever hit the video board.....

Anyone still think that the rule of 90 feet will for sure be changed??

Oh yeah I almost forgot.....

http://i.tsn.com/i/photos/20081215/104457.jpg