BlackSwordsMan
08-22-2009, 12:21 AM
fucking gross

Vinnie_Johnson
08-22-2009, 12:23 AM
WTF is that shit?

lefty
08-22-2009, 12:24 AM
Poutine (Quebec French pronunciation ˈputsɪn (help·info)) is a dish consisting of French fries topped with fresh cheese curds, covered with brown gravy and sometimes additional ingredients. [1]

Poutine is a diner staple which originated in Quebec and can now be found across Canada. It is sold by both fast food chains (such as New York Fries, Harvey's, Ed's Subs[2]), in small "greasy spoon" type diners (commonly known as "casse-croûtes" in Quebec) and pubs, as well as by roadside chip wagons. International chains like McDonald's,[3] A&W,[4] KFC and Burger King[5] also sell mass-produced poutine. Popular Quebec restaurants that serve poutine include Chez Ashton (Quebec City), La Banquise (Montreal), Louis (Sherbrooke), Lafleur Restaurants, Franx Supreme [6], La Belle Province, Le Petit Québec and Dic Ann's Hamburgers. Along with fries and pizza, poutine is a very common dish sold and eaten in high school cafeterias in various parts of Canada.

Typical Quebec poutine.
The dish originated in rural Quebec, Canada, in the late 1950s. Several Québécois communities claim to be the birthplace of poutine, including Drummondville (by Jean-Paul Roy in 1964),[7] Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, and Victoriaville.[citation needed] One often-cited tale is that of Fernand Lachance, from Warwick, Quebec, which claims that poutine was invented in 1957,[8] when a customer ordered fries while waiting for his cheese curds from the Kingsey cheese factory in Kingsey Falls (now in Warwick and owned by Saputo Incorporated). Lachance is said to have exclaimed ça va faire une maudite poutine ("it will make a damn mess"), hence the name. The sauce was allegedly added later, to keep the fries warm longer.
[edit]Classic Poutine

The French fries are of medium thickness, and fried so that the insides are still soft, with an outer crust. The gravy is a light chicken, veal or turkey gravy, mildly spiced with a hint of pepper. Heavy beef or pork-based brown gravies are typically not used. Fresh cheese curd (not more than a day old) is used.
[edit]Variations

There are many variations of poutine. Italian poutine is a common one which replaces the gravy with spaghetti sauce (a thick tomato and ground beef sauce, roughly analogous to Bolognese sauce), while another variation includes sausage slices.[9] Greek poutine consists of shoestring fries topped with a warm Mediterranean vinaigrette, gravy, and feta cheese. Mexican poutine, also referred to as carne asada fries, consists of fries, carne asada, guacamole, sour cream, cheese, and pico de gallo. It is best served with hot sauce.

Poutine from La Banquise in Montreal.
Some restaurants in Montreal offer poutine with such additions as bacon, or Montreal-style smoked meat, although these are not as common. Poutine Dulton, which is offered in a few places, is made with ground beef, onions, and sausages. Some such restaurants even boast a dozen or more variations of poutine. For instance, more upscale poutine with three-pepper sauce, Merguez sausage, foie gras or even caviar and truffle can be found.[10]
Some named variations may not necessarily be prepared with the same ingredients in different establishments. For example, "poutine Galvaude" adds shredded turkey or chicken and green peas,[11] similar to the typical Québécois "hot chicken" sandwich.

Some variations eliminate the cheese, but most francophone Quebecers would call such a dish a "frites sauce" ("french fries with sauce") rather than poutine. Shawinigan and some other regions have Patate-sauce-choux where shredded raw cabbage replaces cheese.
Poutine can also sometimes be combined with pommes persillade (cubed fried potatoes topped with persillade) to produce a hybrid dish called poutine persillade.
Fast food combination meals in Canada often have the option of getting french fries "poutinized" by adding cheese curds (or shredded cheese) and gravy.
In Atlantic Canada, a variation topped with donair meat is offered as "donair poutine".

Outside Canada, poutine is found in northern border regions of the United States such as New England and the Upper Midwest. In Maine and northwestern New Brunswick, poutine may be called "mixed fries", "mix fry", or simply "mix",[citation needed] although the term "poutine" has been gaining in popularity in recent years, especially in Aroostook County.[citation needed] Residents sometimes pronounce the word "poo-tine", but most pronounce it "poot-tsien".[citation needed]. The most common pronunciation with anglophones in the Maritime provinces of Canada is usually "poo-tin" or "poo-teen".
These regions offer further variations of the basic dish. Cheeses other than fresh curds are commonly used (most commonly mozzarella cheese), along with beef, brown or turkey gravy. In the county culture especially, a mixed fry can also come with cooked ground beef on top and is referred to as a hamburger mix, though this is less popular than a regular mix.
A variation called "chips, cheese, and gravy", and in recent years nicknamed 'Cheegs', is served as a hang-over food or drunken snack in Australia and the United Kingdom.[citation needed]

In some parts of eastern Canada, the term poutine is not commonly used. In Baie Sainte-Anne, New Brunswick for example the word patachou is used to describe this dish. The term mozza-fries is also used in some parts of Cape Breton, Nova Scotia.
[edit]Etymology

The word poutine has a bewildering variety of meanings in French. The online version of the Dictionnaire historique du français québécois lists 15 different meanings of poutine in Quebec and Acadian French, most of which are for kinds of food.
The Dictionnaire historique dates the word poutine in the meaning "fries with cheese and gravy" to 1978. Other senses of the word have been in use at least since 1810.
While the provenance of the word poutine is uncertain, some of its meanings undoubtedly result at least in part from the influence of the English word pudding. Among its various culinary senses, that of "a dessert made from flour or bread crumbs" most clearly shows this influence; the word pouding, borrowed from the English pudding, is in fact a synonym in this sense. The pejorative meaning "fat person" of poutine (used especially in speaking of a woman) is believed to derive from the English pudding "a person or thing resembling a pudding" or "stout thick-set person".[12]
In other meanings of poutine, the existence of a relation to the English word pudding is uncertain. One of these additional meanings — the one from which the name of the dish with fries is thought to derive — is "unappetizing mixture of various foods, usually leftovers." (This sense may also have given rise to the meaning "complicated business, complex organization; set of operations whose management is difficult or problematic.")

The Dictionnaire historique mentions the possibility that the form poutine is simply a francization of the word pudding. However, it considers it more likely that it was inherited from dialects spoken in France, and that some of its meanings resulted from the later influence of the similar-sounding English word pudding. It cites the Provençal forms poutingo "bad stew" and poutitè "hodgepodge" or "crushed fruit or foods"; poutringo "mixture of various things" in Languedocien; and poutringue, potringa "bad stew" in Franche-Comté as possibly related to poutine. The meaning "fries with cheese and gravy" of poutine is among those held as probably unrelated to pudding provided the latter view is correct.

BlackSwordsMan
08-22-2009, 12:26 AM
looks like someone put popcorn and fries in a bowl and then shit on it

Vinnie_Johnson
08-22-2009, 12:28 AM
So it's fries lard and gravy yummy.

lefty
08-22-2009, 12:30 AM
So it's fries lard and gravy yummy.

Lard (or any meat for that matter) is optional.

Basic poutine is Fries, gravy and cheese curd

Darrin
08-22-2009, 09:23 AM
Subway footlong with chips and swiss rolls last night. And a coke to drink.

Destro
08-22-2009, 12:15 PM
steamed chicken and veggies with ginger, garlic, and scallions. hells yeah

mrcoon29
08-22-2009, 02:02 PM
a bowl of Life cereal last night, 3 string cheeses and a big cup Resse's cup. hahhaha Mexican tonight but don't know exactly what..so many choices!
And that poutanwhatchathingy doesn't sound appealing to me..certainly sounds messy, though.

Summers
08-22-2009, 02:31 PM
Poutine (Quebec French pronunciation ˈputsɪn (help·info)) is a dish consisting of French fries topped with fresh cheese curds, covered with brown gravy and sometimes additional ingredients. [1]

Poutine is a diner staple which originated in Quebec and can now be found across Canada. It is sold by both fast food chains (such as New York Fries, Harvey's, Ed's Subs[2]), in small "greasy spoon" type diners (commonly known as "casse-croûtes" in Quebec) and pubs, as well as by roadside chip wagons. International chains like McDonald's,[3] A&W,[4] KFC and Burger King[5] also sell mass-produced poutine. Popular Quebec restaurants that serve poutine include Chez Ashton (Quebec City), La Banquise (Montreal), Louis (Sherbrooke), Lafleur Restaurants, Franx Supreme [6], La Belle Province, Le Petit Québec and Dic Ann's Hamburgers. Along with fries and pizza, poutine is a very common dish sold and eaten in high school cafeterias in various parts of Canada.

Typical Quebec poutine.
The dish originated in rural Quebec, Canada, in the late 1950s. Several Québécois communities claim to be the birthplace of poutine, including Drummondville (by Jean-Paul Roy in 1964),[7] Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, and Victoriaville.[citation needed] One often-cited tale is that of Fernand Lachance, from Warwick, Quebec, which claims that poutine was invented in 1957,[8] when a customer ordered fries while waiting for his cheese curds from the Kingsey cheese factory in Kingsey Falls (now in Warwick and owned by Saputo Incorporated). Lachance is said to have exclaimed ça va faire une maudite poutine ("it will make a damn mess"), hence the name. The sauce was allegedly added later, to keep the fries warm longer.
[edit]Classic Poutine

The French fries are of medium thickness, and fried so that the insides are still soft, with an outer crust. The gravy is a light chicken, veal or turkey gravy, mildly spiced with a hint of pepper. Heavy beef or pork-based brown gravies are typically not used. Fresh cheese curd (not more than a day old) is used.
[edit]Variations

There are many variations of poutine. Italian poutine is a common one which replaces the gravy with spaghetti sauce (a thick tomato and ground beef sauce, roughly analogous to Bolognese sauce), while another variation includes sausage slices.[9] Greek poutine consists of shoestring fries topped with a warm Mediterranean vinaigrette, gravy, and feta cheese. Mexican poutine, also referred to as carne asada fries, consists of fries, carne asada, guacamole, sour cream, cheese, and pico de gallo. It is best served with hot sauce.

Poutine from La Banquise in Montreal.
Some restaurants in Montreal offer poutine with such additions as bacon, or Montreal-style smoked meat, although these are not as common. Poutine Dulton, which is offered in a few places, is made with ground beef, onions, and sausages. Some such restaurants even boast a dozen or more variations of poutine. For instance, more upscale poutine with three-pepper sauce, Merguez sausage, foie gras or even caviar and truffle can be found.[10]
Some named variations may not necessarily be prepared with the same ingredients in different establishments. For example, "poutine Galvaude" adds shredded turkey or chicken and green peas,[11] similar to the typical Québécois "hot chicken" sandwich.

Some variations eliminate the cheese, but most francophone Quebecers would call such a dish a "frites sauce" ("french fries with sauce") rather than poutine. Shawinigan and some other regions have Patate-sauce-choux where shredded raw cabbage replaces cheese.
Poutine can also sometimes be combined with pommes persillade (cubed fried potatoes topped with persillade) to produce a hybrid dish called poutine persillade.
Fast food combination meals in Canada often have the option of getting french fries "poutinized" by adding cheese curds (or shredded cheese) and gravy.
In Atlantic Canada, a variation topped with donair meat is offered as "donair poutine".

Outside Canada, poutine is found in northern border regions of the United States such as New England and the Upper Midwest. In Maine and northwestern New Brunswick, poutine may be called "mixed fries", "mix fry", or simply "mix",[citation needed] although the term "poutine" has been gaining in popularity in recent years, especially in Aroostook County.[citation needed] Residents sometimes pronounce the word "poo-tine", but most pronounce it "poot-tsien".[citation needed]. The most common pronunciation with anglophones in the Maritime provinces of Canada is usually "poo-tin" or "poo-teen".
These regions offer further variations of the basic dish. Cheeses other than fresh curds are commonly used (most commonly mozzarella cheese), along with beef, brown or turkey gravy. In the county culture especially, a mixed fry can also come with cooked ground beef on top and is referred to as a hamburger mix, though this is less popular than a regular mix.
A variation called "chips, cheese, and gravy", and in recent years nicknamed 'Cheegs', is served as a hang-over food or drunken snack in Australia and the United Kingdom.[citation needed]

In some parts of eastern Canada, the term poutine is not commonly used. In Baie Sainte-Anne, New Brunswick for example the word patachou is used to describe this dish. The term mozza-fries is also used in some parts of Cape Breton, Nova Scotia.
[edit]Etymology

The word poutine has a bewildering variety of meanings in French. The online version of the Dictionnaire historique du français québécois lists 15 different meanings of poutine in Quebec and Acadian French, most of which are for kinds of food.
The Dictionnaire historique dates the word poutine in the meaning "fries with cheese and gravy" to 1978. Other senses of the word have been in use at least since 1810.
While the provenance of the word poutine is uncertain, some of its meanings undoubtedly result at least in part from the influence of the English word pudding. Among its various culinary senses, that of "a dessert made from flour or bread crumbs" most clearly shows this influence; the word pouding, borrowed from the English pudding, is in fact a synonym in this sense. The pejorative meaning "fat person" of poutine (used especially in speaking of a woman) is believed to derive from the English pudding "a person or thing resembling a pudding" or "stout thick-set person".[12]
In other meanings of poutine, the existence of a relation to the English word pudding is uncertain. One of these additional meanings — the one from which the name of the dish with fries is thought to derive — is "unappetizing mixture of various foods, usually leftovers." (This sense may also have given rise to the meaning "complicated business, complex organization; set of operations whose management is difficult or problematic.")

The Dictionnaire historique mentions the possibility that the form poutine is simply a francization of the word pudding. However, it considers it more likely that it was inherited from dialects spoken in France, and that some of its meanings resulted from the later influence of the similar-sounding English word pudding. It cites the Provençal forms poutingo "bad stew" and poutitè "hodgepodge" or "crushed fruit or foods"; poutringo "mixture of various things" in Languedocien; and poutringue, potringa "bad stew" in Franche-Comté as possibly related to poutine. The meaning "fries with cheese and gravy" of poutine is among those held as probably unrelated to pudding provided the latter view is correct.

Couldn't you have just said fries with gravy and cheese? :lol

I think I'm making shake-n-bake chicken tonight with some Zatarain's red beans and rice and a salad.

ChumpDumper
08-22-2009, 02:40 PM
lol French Canadians.

I had a bagel.

ManuTP9
08-22-2009, 02:53 PM
had a quick check sub last night

David Bowie
08-22-2009, 07:19 PM
poutine is a prostitute in French. Non?

Spursfan092120
08-23-2009, 12:16 AM

I think I'm making shake-n-bake chicken tonight with some Zatarain's red beans and rice and a salad.
Sounds a HELL of a lot better than my Salisbury Steak, corn, and mashed potatoes TV dinner..lol

ManuTP9
08-23-2009, 12:39 AM
Sounds a HELL of a lot better than my Salisbury Steak, corn, and mashed potatoes TV dinner..lol

thats a classic right there :lol

Supreme_Being
08-23-2009, 11:12 AM
Peanuts and Oettinger original wheat beer. :downspin:

Summers
08-23-2009, 11:59 AM
Benihana's.

You know, I've only eaten there once and I have to say, I wasn't impressed. The show is fun, but the steak wasn't very good. The miso soup, however, was delicious.

Darrin
08-23-2009, 01:48 PM
Almond boneless chicken from Golden Dragon in Oxford, MI.

lefty
08-24-2009, 10:11 AM
a bowl of Life cereal last night, 3 string cheeses and a big cup Resse's cup. hahhaha Mexican tonight but don't know exactly what..so many choices!
And that poutanwhatchathingy doesn't sound appealing to me..certainly sounds messy, though.

Oh, it's good :tu

:lol

poutine is a prostitute in French. Non?

No, that would be " pute "

ManuTP9
08-24-2009, 11:12 AM
had a hot dog salad last night

I. Hustle
08-24-2009, 11:26 AM
I had pizza from Sam's.

Oompa Loompa
08-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Snozz Berries and Razzle juice

Hornets1
08-24-2009, 12:19 PM
A jambalaya omelette from lil dizzy's in Nola's CBD. Don't judge unless you've had it; one of the greatest things I have ever eaten.

lefty
08-24-2009, 12:21 PM
Juicy steak with Bleu Cheese Sauce, with brown rice and asparagus

:tu

Summers
08-24-2009, 02:44 PM
I know, I've heard that from a lot of people but I have never been there. My gf wants to go there to celebrate getting her masters and finding a job.

For steak, Ruth's Chris is worth the sticker shock. Do y'all have McClusky's in SA? I don't know if it's just in Austin, but it's also good.

Chingo Bling
08-24-2009, 03:16 PM
I am going to have cabrito en salsa with maybe some borracho beans y arroz. Of course I will be tomando cervezas.

mexicanjunior
08-24-2009, 04:11 PM
So, what did you have/are having for dinner ? :hungry:

I'll start this: I had a poutine.

Ostie de Tabarnak !!!

http://www.homersteinweiss.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/poutine.jpg

I had that when I was in Nova Scotia several years ago...it wasn't bad.

Last night I had carne guisada tacos..good times.

lefty
08-25-2009, 10:50 AM
I had that when I was in Nova Scotia several years ago...it wasn't bad.

Last night I had carne guisada tacos..good times.

See, people? it's not that bad :lol

lefty
08-25-2009, 10:50 AM
Fried rice with chicken

SpursWoman
08-25-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm really afraid to ask what a hotdog salad is.

Viva Las Espuelas
08-25-2009, 11:17 AM
does a hotdog salad require any tossing?

I. Hustle
08-25-2009, 11:46 AM

I'll show you.

rjv
08-25-2009, 11:52 AM
grilled pork chops and asparagus with a tossed salad.

ManuTP9
08-25-2009, 04:03 PM

Lol it was a quick fix, heat 2 frankfurters in the microwave and slice them up, mix it with salad . your choice of dressing :toast it was very good.

Summers
08-26-2009, 11:17 AM
Lol it was a quick fix, heat 2 frankfurters in the microwave and slice them up, mix it with salad . your choice of dressing :toast it was very good.

I guess we'll have to take your word for it. :) Have y'all ever seen redneck calamari?

http://www.soulclapproductions.com/1myspace/calamari.jpg

Viva Las Espuelas
08-26-2009, 11:21 AM
I guess we'll have to take your word for it. :) Have y'all ever seen redneck calamari?

http://www.soulclapproductions.com/1myspace/calamari.jpg
now that's redneck.

lefty
09-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Weird dinner:

- fat-free plain yogourt

- sliced almonds

- Blueberries

Mix in bowl and enjoy :tu

ManuTP9
09-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Ceaser salad with texas toast tonite:hungry:

baseline bum
09-21-2009, 03:50 PM
chili relleno

JudynTX
09-21-2009, 03:58 PM
chili relleno

You making it?

Good 'N Plenty
09-21-2009, 04:21 PM
Chicken Parmesan with salad.

Viva Las Espuelas
09-21-2009, 04:49 PM
i think it's going to be a sushi night.

Dark Gable
09-21-2009, 05:05 PM
Pork chops, mashed taters, grilled corn

baseline bum
09-21-2009, 08:21 PM
You making it?

No, just eating it. :downspin:

angel_luv
09-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Last night, I had the peppered filet cooked medium from the 410 Diner on Broadway with fries and a salad with ranch dressing.

It was absolutely delicious!

Bo had fried catfish, which he said was excellent as well.

anakha
09-22-2009, 07:38 PM
Shell pasta with pesto, diced chicken breasts, artichoke hearts, and chopped tomato.

David Bowie
09-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Shell pasta with pesto, diced chicken breasts, artichoke hearts, and chopped tomato.

I want that.

TDMVPDPOY
09-22-2009, 07:50 PM
10 nuggets and milk tea for breakfast atm

anakha
09-22-2009, 08:21 PM
I want that.

Turned out pretty nicely. Thank God for $5 hardbound cookbooks in discount bookstores.

Ginofan
09-22-2009, 08:30 PM
We had tortilla soup that was absolutely delicious!

lefty
10-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Teriyaky Chicken :hungry:

AmericanWoman
10-01-2009, 03:27 PM
meatloaf

lefty
10-01-2009, 03:28 PM
meatloaf
http://dummidumbwit.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/meat-loaf-1.jpg

JoeChalupa
10-14-2009, 05:49 PM
Pork loin

David Bowie
10-14-2009, 08:34 PM
I'm going to try to make french onion soup from scratch tommorow .

Mark in Austin
10-14-2009, 10:43 PM
Veggie Burger from P. Terry's Burger Stand.
Wheat bun. Locally created veggie patty. Extra lettuce, onions, pickle, tomato, special sauce.
Iced Tea (not sweet)
Oatmeal chocolate chip cookie.

Clandestino
10-14-2009, 10:51 PM
Veggie Burger from P. Terry's Burger Stand.
Wheat bun. Locally created veggie patty. Extra lettuce, onions, pickle, tomato, special sauce.
Iced Tea (not sweet)
Oatmeal chocolate chip cookie.

And I'm sure some fresh cum on that cookie for dessert... That is so gay!

JoeChalupa
10-19-2009, 04:20 PM
Sauteed pork cutlets.

Sonia_TX
10-19-2009, 05:00 PM
I think I am making whole wheat spaghetti tonight or turkey burgers. haven't decided. I would rather be sleeping!

Summers
10-19-2009, 09:17 PM
I'm going to try to make french onion soup from scratch tommorow .

Ooh, if it works out, can you share the recipe? I've never made it.

Summers
10-19-2009, 09:18 PM
I think I am making whole wheat spaghetti tonight or turkey burgers. haven't decided. I would rather be sleeping!

I haven't seen you in ages!

TDMVPDPOY
10-19-2009, 09:25 PM
ham + cheese croissant ,,,,, and some energy drink for brunch

xellos88330
10-19-2009, 11:53 PM
Tuna Casserole

David Bowie
10-20-2009, 06:40 PM
Ooh, if it works out, can you share the recipe? I've never made it.

Ok, the French Onion Soup turned out really well. Here is the recipe I used:

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/french_onion_soup/

French Onion Soup

Ingredients

* 6 large red or yellow onions, peeled and thinly sliced.
* Olive oil
* 1/4 teaspoon of sugar
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 8 cups of beef stock, chicken stock, or a combination of the two (traditionally the soup is made with beef stock)
* 1/2 cup of dry vermouth or dry white wine
* 1 bay leaf
* 1/4 teaspoon of dry thyme
* Salt and pepper
* 8 slices of toasted French bread
* 1 1/2 cups of grated Swiss Gruyere with a little grated Parmesan cheese

Method

1 In a large saucepan, sauté the onions in the olive oil on medium high heat until well browned, but not burned, about 30-40 minutes (or longer). Add the sugar about 10 minutes into the process to help with the carmelization.

2 Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the stock, vermouth or wine, bay leaf, and thyme. Cover partially and simmer until the flavors are well blended, about 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Discard the bay leaf.

3 To serve you can either use individual oven-proof soup bowls or one large casserole dish. Ladle the soup into the bowls or casserole dish. Cover with the toast and sprinkle with cheese. Put into the broiler for 10 minutes at 350 degrees F, or until the cheese bubbles and is slightly browned. Serve immediately.

Serves 4-6.

tlongII
10-20-2009, 06:43 PM
spaghetti with italian sausage tonight for me.

phyzik
10-20-2009, 06:47 PM
Beer with chips and salsa.

JoeChalupa
10-21-2009, 07:24 AM
Lasagna rolls.

lefty
11-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Beef
Potaotes
Veggies

In wine sauce :tu

koriwhat
11-10-2009, 11:55 AM
either a huge ham sandwhich i make myself or a turkey melt from jason's deli after i get done working out later. one or the other.... probably more food later on too. i eat all day long.

Summers
11-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Ok, the French Onion Soup turned out really well. Here is the recipe I used:

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/french_onion_soup/

French Onion Soup

Ingredients

* 6 large red or yellow onions, peeled and thinly sliced.
* Olive oil
* 1/4 teaspoon of sugar
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 8 cups of beef stock, chicken stock, or a combination of the two (traditionally the soup is made with beef stock)
* 1/2 cup of dry vermouth or dry white wine
* 1 bay leaf
* 1/4 teaspoon of dry thyme
* Salt and pepper
* 8 slices of toasted French bread
* 1 1/2 cups of grated Swiss Gruyere with a little grated Parmesan cheese

Method

1 In a large saucepan, sauté the onions in the olive oil on medium high heat until well browned, but not burned, about 30-40 minutes (or longer). Add the sugar about 10 minutes into the process to help with the carmelization.

2 Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the stock, vermouth or wine, bay leaf, and thyme. Cover partially and simmer until the flavors are well blended, about 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Discard the bay leaf.

3 To serve you can either use individual oven-proof soup bowls or one large casserole dish. Ladle the soup into the bowls or casserole dish. Cover with the toast and sprinkle with cheese. Put into the broiler for 10 minutes at 350 degrees F, or until the cheese bubbles and is slightly browned. Serve immediately.

Serves 4-6.

Ddin't see this before. Thank you, thank you! I'm going to make this maybe this weekend! :)

mrsmaalox
11-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Sliced brisket sandwiches and macaroni salad.

I. Hustle
11-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Beer with chips and salsa.

Sounds good.

desflood
11-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Last night I made crockpot enchiladas. Tonight it's lasagna with garlic cheese toast.

lefty
11-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Last night I made crockpot enchiladas. Tonight it's lasagna with garlic cheese toast.
Looks yummy !

mrsmaalox
11-10-2009, 02:35 PM

Crockpot enchiladas? Sounds intriguing, please elaborate :)

desflood
11-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Crockpot enchiladas? Sounds intriguing, please elaborate :)
Easiest enchiladas you'll ever make. Brown the meat, shred the cheese, etc, like usual, but instead of rolling everything up you layer it in the crockpot instead (make sure there's a layer of meat on the bottom - red tortillas burn, even on low) and cook it on low for 1-2 hours, just long enough for the cheese to melt and all the flavors to mesh. I can go into more detail if you like, but those are the basics.

florige
11-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Sliced brisket sandwiches and macaroni salad.

That sounds like a winner Maalox.

mrsmaalox
11-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Easiest enchiladas you'll ever make. Brown the meat, shred the cheese, etc, like usual, but instead of rolling everything up you layer it in the crockpot instead (make sure there's a layer of meat on the bottom - red tortillas burn, even on low) and cook it on low for 1-2 hours, just long enough for the cheese to melt and all the flavors to mesh. I can go into more detail if you like, but those are the basics..

I'm gonna try that one; I have some tortillas that need to get used up in the next couple of days. Thank you ma'am :tu

That sounds like a winner Maalox.

I'll save you some ;)

desflood
11-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Mrs. m, the tough part is getting the right amount of sauce - too much or too little can really screw it up. Through trial and error I've found that 1 1/2 to 1 2/3 cans of sauce works well.

CosmicCowboy
11-10-2009, 03:10 PM
hmmm tonight? We will probably slum on leftovers. baby back ribs, olive/feta stuffed pork loin, spicy pinto beans, creamed corn, and a wedge salad.

SpursBabe99
11-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Hmm I think i'm kickin it classic w/ some wings and beer! Good times! :toast

SpursWoman
11-10-2009, 03:22 PM
I'm making Mexican Spaghetti and a salad

ManuTP9
11-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Popeyes!

IronMexican
11-10-2009, 05:42 PM
I'm making Mexican Spaghetti and a salad

What's Mexican spaghetti? I've never even heard of that.

I had Carne Asada. Probably just warm some more up tonight,

SpursWoman
11-10-2009, 05:50 PM
What's Mexican spaghetti? I've never even heard of that.

ground beef, onions, chili powder, cumin ... diced tomatoes, chicken broth ...and..........fideo.

Good, cheap & easy. :king

mrsmaalox
11-10-2009, 05:55 PM
ground beef, onions, chili powder, cumin ... diced tomatoes, chicken broth ...and..........fideo.

Do you cook everything together and then throw the fideo in at the end to finish cooking?

Sounds yummy, I love anything with cumin in it

IronMexican
11-10-2009, 05:56 PM

I don't like fideo. I hate when I bite an onion cause that shit tastes nasty.

SpursWoman
11-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Do you cook everything together and then throw the fideo in at the end to finish cooking?

Sounds yummy, I love anything with cumin in it

Brown the ground beef & onions ... take out of the pan & brown the fideo in the leftover fat ... then add the tomatoes, then the broth & spices, and then put the meat back in.

My grandmother was puro south side ... she used to make it all of the time when I was little. I love that mess. :lol

SpursWoman
11-10-2009, 06:41 PM
I hate when I bite an onion cause that shit tastes nasty.

You sound like my kids .. only without the *shit* part. Because that gets them soft soap on the lengua in my house. :)

CuckingFunt
11-10-2009, 07:13 PM
I'm sick, so I'm eating Ramen for dinner.

And fuck you all.

Ginofan
11-10-2009, 07:18 PM
onions are nasty as hell when you crunch down on one...yuck!

Tonight we are headed to Pam's patio kitchen, I'm gonna try out the Chicken Tinga Tacos....

Grilled corn tortillas filled with our hand-pulled seasoned chicken with cilantro cabbage slaw, cotija cheese, avocado slices, crema, and salsa carmen.

SpursWoman
11-10-2009, 07:32 PM
:lol @ y'all and onions ... Chris doesn't really like them either, so if I put them in anything, I always saute them pretty much down to nothing before I add anything else ... so they aren't crunchy. Most of the time they don't even know they are in there. :fro

The Reckoning
11-10-2009, 07:35 PM
meatloaf.

Kori Ellis
11-10-2009, 09:04 PM
timvp made chicken fajitas.

Kori Ellis
11-10-2009, 09:41 PM
DAMN you people eat a shit load of mexican food. Unhealthy as shit too.

I had Steak, grilled tomatoes, asparagus, and mushrooms to go with some lemon rice and mashed potatoes.

Finished it off with some Strawberries, Blueberries, raspberries, bananas, and grapes mixed with some yogurt and granola.

Chicken with onions and peppers isn't really unhealthy. Depends on what you eat it with, I guess.

Duff McCartney
11-10-2009, 09:45 PM
Chicken with onions and peppers isn't really unhealthy. Depends on what you eat it with, I guess.

Around these parts I say the most unhealthy thing that gets put on chicken fajitas is sour cream. And that's not even really unhealthy.

Nothing better than chicken fajita, onions and bell peppers, sour cream, avocado, some home made salsa and wrapped in a flour tortilla...now that's good eatin!

lefty
11-10-2009, 10:13 PM
What the Boss says

SpursWoman
11-10-2009, 10:18 PM
DAMN you people eat a shit load of mexican food. Unhealthy as shit too.

I had Steak, grilled tomatoes, asparagus, and mushrooms to go with some lemon rice and mashed potatoes.

Finished it off with some Strawberries, Blueberries, raspberries, bananas, and grapes mixed with some yogurt and granola.

91% lean ground beef cooked in a tablespoon of olive oil, diced tomatoes (no salt added), an onion .. and fat free, low sodium chicken broth .. yeah, the fideo isn't that great, but mexican food doesn't all have to be completely unhealthy crap. It's not all cooked in a gallon of manteca. :lol

ididnotnothat
11-13-2009, 02:46 PM
I'll be fixing up some bad ass fish tacos tonight.

lefty
11-13-2009, 04:00 PM
BBQ Chicken sandwich yesterday.

And tonight: Beef with potatoes and veggies in wine sauce

I. Hustle
11-13-2009, 04:09 PM
To all you POS's that are making shit in wine sauce or stuff with bechamel's and shit FU I am going to pick up a pizza!

lefty
11-13-2009, 04:32 PM
To all you POS's that are making shit in wine sauce or stuff with bechamel's and shit FU I am going to pick up a pizza!
Pizza with wine sauce and bechamel?

I. Hustle
11-13-2009, 04:45 PM
Pizza with wine sauce and bechamel?

Just pizza. That FU went to the folks that are making bad ass stuff. I am just going to pick up the phone and call Papa John's

lefty
11-13-2009, 04:48 PM
Just pizza. That FU went to the folks that are making bad ass stuff. I am just going to pick up the phone and call Papa John's
I know I was JK

Now I want a pizza :hat

I. Hustle
11-13-2009, 04:52 PM
I'm surprised I wasn't called out for knowing what a bechamel is.

SpursBabe99
11-13-2009, 05:15 PM
BBQ & Boose! Yeah! lol

florige
11-14-2009, 12:05 AM
I'll be fixing up some bad ass fish tacos tonight.

I've been wanting to try those.

JoeChalupa
11-19-2009, 06:17 PM
pork chops

Heath Ledger
11-19-2009, 06:38 PM
I got me some red wings tonight.

lefty
11-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Soup :hat

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
11-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Last night I had passatelli and rabbit.

Chingo Bling
11-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Arroz con pollo and borracho beans

anakha
11-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Made several servings' worth of food over the weekend, because I didn't feel like cooking again until Thanksgiving Day. Paprika beef on egg noodles (think a tomato-based version of beef stroganoff) and oven-fried chicken.

Good thing I don't get tired of eating the same thing easily. :p:

anakha
11-24-2009, 08:36 PM
double-post

SpursNextRomanEmpire
11-24-2009, 09:57 PM
I had that A1 thick and hearty burger, shit sucked

lefty
12-17-2009, 12:55 PM
Chicken and lean in beef in a homemeade sauce:

- tomato sauce with onion and garlic
- some Lite Coconut Milk
- a little curry
- a lil' olive oil
- mango chunks

Serve on rice.

:tu :tu :tu :tu :tu

JoeChalupa
12-17-2009, 01:57 PM
I made some goulash for dinner last night that rocked.

anakha
12-17-2009, 09:28 PM
Did some baking for my meals over the next few days...

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/8744/dscn0059j.jpg (http://img130.imageshack.us/i/dscn0059j.jpg/)

Oven-fried chicken, before going into the oven

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/3940/dscn0062e.jpg (http://img130.imageshack.us/i/dscn0062e.jpg/)

Quiche, after pulling from the oven

benefactor
12-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Posados...a local Tex-Mex place. It was outstanding, as usual(I eat there once a week).

JoeChalupa
03-22-2013, 05:04 PM
Cheese enchiladas con arroz y frijoles.