PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever doubt your religion/faith and God?

Jacob1983
08-22-2009, 01:19 AM
Discuss.

jaffies
08-22-2009, 01:41 AM
xfrodobagginsx sucks.

Strike
08-22-2009, 01:45 AM
Well, being agnostic tends to eliminate that whole issue.

Fat Bones
08-22-2009, 02:01 AM
Well, being agnostic tends to eliminate that whole issue.

Hardly.

phyzik
08-22-2009, 02:20 AM
Whoever doesnt question thier religion (or anything in life) is someone I dont want to be associated with. EVER. God didnt create man, Man created God. Its a fact. deal with it. That doesnt mean a supreme being doesnt exist, it just means WE created HIM to suit our needs for order.

If you dont question your faith you are nothing more than blind sheep. If we where truelly created by "God" he would understand our questioning.

Believe it or not, the church has their own agenda, its been proven throughout the ages. The Bible scriptures have been changed time and time again to fit with what the church wants you to believe, and they have even admitted this!

In my belief, organized religion is the cause of all the problems we have in this world. Believers are going to try to debunk me but the fact is religion is created by man. No one can ever give a valid arguement towards that fact. There actually may be a supreme being out their but I extremely doubt that our pre-concieved misconceptions of said being is anything close to whats in our own human created scriptures.

That being said, I doubt there is a "supreme being" judging all life, but if their is, he knows what kind of person I am and I feel comfortable with that relationship.

z0sa
08-22-2009, 04:19 AM
no, i don't doubt.

there's a difference between questioning, and doubting though.

Muser
08-22-2009, 04:22 AM
I'll believe what science has proved to me until "God" proves otherwise.

tlongII
08-22-2009, 04:36 AM
Religion is a bunch of horseshit. Faith and God is something different alltogether.

samikeyp
08-22-2009, 07:58 AM
Religion is a bunch of horseshit. Faith and God is something different alltogether.

I agree with that.

Although recent events over the last few years have caused me to question even that.

IronMexican
08-22-2009, 08:18 AM
Can't question something I don't believe in or care about.

Darrin
08-22-2009, 09:22 AM
I had a crisis of faith at the age of 12. I had homosexual tendencies and romantic feelings for a cousin (who just happened to be one of my abusers). I asked myself why God would do this to me. I went into counseling and my faith re-established.

When I was 15 I became a non-praticing Catholic. When I was 22 I became agnostic, and at 24 I became athiest. So I would say that has been a 'crisis' of faith from a certain point-of-view.

lebomb
08-22-2009, 09:24 AM
I had a crisis of faith at the age of 12. I had homosexual tendencies and romantic feelings for a cousin (who just happened to be one of my abusers). I asked myself why God would do this to me. I went into counseling and my faith re-established.

When I was 15 I became a non-praticing Catholic. When I was 22 I became agnostic, and at 24 I became athiest. So I would say that has been a 'crisis' of faith from a certain point-of-view.

You sound pretty fugged up. :depressed

Darrin
08-22-2009, 09:43 AM
You sound pretty fugged up. :depressed

Yeah, you could say that.

lebomb
08-22-2009, 09:45 AM
Yeah, you could say that.

:lmao ........................... :toast

jman3000
08-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Great another religion thread.

BacktoBasics
08-22-2009, 10:10 AM
Whoever doesnt question thier religion (or anything in life) is someone I dont want to be associated with. EVER. God didnt create man, Man created God. Its a fact. deal with it. That doesnt mean a supreme being doesnt exist, it just means WE created HIM to suit our needs for order.

Pretty much sums up how I feel. I won't discount a so-called supreme being because we haven't got all the facts just yet. If there is one which I doubt he/she/it doesn't even remotely resemble Jesus/God whatever it is you people worship unconditionally. Pure fabrication.

JoeChalupa
08-22-2009, 10:49 AM
God have mercy on the man
Who doubts what he's sure of.

--The Boss

benefactor
08-22-2009, 10:59 AM
I haven't said much about my faith on this forum...mostly because I think people who push their faith on others in the name of "standing up for Jesus" are annoying. TBQH, I don't associate with a lot of mainstream Christians because I think most of them are an irritating bunch of religious wackos that have no idea who Jesus was or what he stood for. They would rather club homosexuals over the head and put anti-abortion signs in the hands of their kids instead of trying to help the oppressed and marginalized.

But in addressing the topic...yes, I do have a hard time understanding some of the things that go on in this world. I wouldn't say that it makes me doubt God's existance, but it does make me wonder why it has to be THIS bad. Working at a mental health facility over the past year and a half has helped fuel a lot of this. Seeing people trapped in their own minds is hard. Some of them did it to themselves(kids, leave the fry/wet alone)...but many of them have been like that since birth because they had parents that were like that and mental illness tends to be hereditary. Seeing the bipolar/schitzophrenic traits in the kids on our childrens ward is tough to stomach sometimes. They don't even get a chance to be right and will probably be in and out of MHMR's their whole life.

Cry Havoc
08-22-2009, 12:05 PM
I question my faith all the time.

I doubt my faith every so often.

Usually, I go back to what Jesus said about how to live life and treat other people.

Xylus
08-22-2009, 01:39 PM
I'm an atheist, and even I question whether a god exists or not. I guess that makes me agnostic, but a very skeptical agnostic.

exstatic
08-22-2009, 01:56 PM
God have mercy on the man
Who doubts what he's sure of.

--The Boss

I think Bruce was talking about a woman, not a Supreme Being of any sort.

spursfan09
08-22-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm not a religious person. I don't really go to church or say my prayers like I should. But I do believe there is a God. I have faith, because I take comfort knowing that after this life is over there is more.

Spursfan092120
08-22-2009, 02:42 PM

If you dont question your faith you are nothing more than blind sheep. If we where truelly created by "God" he would understand our questioning.

Believe it or not, the church has their own agenda, its been proven throughout the ages. The Bible scriptures have been changed time and time again to fit with what the church wants you to believe, and they have even admitted this!

In my belief, organized religion is the cause of all the problems we have in this world. Believers are going to try to debunk me but the fact is religion is created by man. No one can ever give a valid arguement towards that fact. There actually may be a supreme being out their but I extremely doubt that our pre-concieved misconceptions of said being is anything close to whats in our own human created scriptures.

That being said, I doubt there is a "supreme being" judging all life, but if their is, he knows what kind of person I am and I feel comfortable with that relationship.
You don't have to believe anything you don't want to, but don't bash people who do believe...that's ignorant. Personally, I do believe in God...I do have faith. I believe in miracles. My father contracted ALS, a terminal illness, when I was 9 years old. He was given a MAX of 3 years to live. They said "get your affairs in order and say your goodbyes." This was 20 years ago. And about 10 years ago, somehow, unexplainably, his illness just stopped progressing. Nobody can figure it out. The fact that I still have my father and the fact that my mother has survived breast cancer is enough for me. I'm a praying man, and always will be. The funny thing is, I would never call you blind for not believing, so you shouldn't call people blind if they do. I have my reasons. I believe in God, and believe in faith. If you don't, that's fine, but don't bash people because they do.

DoubtingThomas
08-22-2009, 02:54 PM
I'm guilty

thispego
08-22-2009, 03:26 PM
You don't have to believe anything you don't want to, but don't bash people who do believe...that's ignorant. Personally, I do believe in God...I do have faith. I believe in miracles. My father contracted ALS, a terminal illness, when I was 9 years old. He was given a MAX of 3 years to live. They said "get your affairs in order and say your goodbyes." This was 20 years ago. And about 10 years ago, somehow, unexplainably, his illness just stopped progressing. Nobody can figure it out. The fact that I still have my father and the fact that my mother has survived breast cancer is enough for me. I'm a praying man, and always will be. The funny thing is, I would never call you blind for not believing, so you shouldn't call people blind if they do. I have my reasons. I believe in God, and believe in faith. If you don't, that's fine, but don't bash people because they do.

would you feel the same way if your prayers had not been fulfilled?

Leetonidas
08-22-2009, 03:37 PM
God doesn't exist. Adults with imaginary friends make me LOL.

ploto
08-22-2009, 03:52 PM
In my view, if you are a mature adult, you should have raised some questions at some time. It is faith, however, that sustains you when you can not figure out the answers. Jesus felt abandoned; Peter denied; and Thomas doubted.

clambake
08-22-2009, 04:12 PM
well.....if we were created in god's image.......then a significant portion of god is gay.

Strike
08-22-2009, 05:02 PM
well.....if we were created in god's image.......then a significant portion of god is gay.

Epic Win :lmao

Spursfan092120
08-22-2009, 06:07 PM
would you feel the same way if your prayers had not been fulfilled?
That doesn't matter...they were. I believe..period

exstatic
08-22-2009, 06:09 PM
I'm not a religious person. I don't really go to church or say my prayers like I should. But I do believe there is a God. I have faith, because I take comfort knowing that after this life is over there is more.

If the only people there are 'saved' Christians, I'll pass. They're boring, arrogant, and sanctimonious enough in THIS life. Who wants to spend eternity with THAT?

Spursfan092120
08-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Do you study your scripture? Throughout your entire scripture it talks about people being blind, deaf and dumb. Sheepish, hard head, stiff necked people. There is is not a church on the planet that does not teach the condemnation of those who don't accept their religion and God.

Christians who believe that those who don't believe in their make-believe God do more bashing than any religion there is. Condemning someone to burn in hell for eternity is about as bad as it gets. I agree with the OP. Religion has caused more blood shed than anything, and no religion can claim they have brought peace to any part of this world.

Yes, I have doubts about religion, just as God has doubts about the things he put his faith in.
Not sure why you quoted me on this. I didn't damn anyone. I just said that I do believe, and he had no right to bash people who did, and then I explained why I do believe. Whatever anyone else believes or doesn't believe is their prerogative.

J.T.
08-22-2009, 07:09 PM
The only prayer of mine god ever answered was when the Colts were losing 21-3 to the Patriots in a playoff game and I prayed for a comeback win.

tlongII
08-22-2009, 10:06 PM
The Christian concept of God is basically Santa Claus for adults.

exstatic
08-22-2009, 11:51 PM
The Christian concept of God is basically Santa Claus for adults.
Nuh uh. Santa delivers tangible, visible, concrete results, even if it's only one day per year.

WildcardManu
08-22-2009, 11:59 PM
Follow the leader. Apparently nobody in this thread believes in anything. :lol

Insert agreeing comment: __________________.

Spursfan092120
08-23-2009, 12:00 AM
When did it become cool to not believe in God? And when did it become so uncool to believe that no one speaks out about their faith? If none of you believe, that's fine..to each their own. But if some of you do believe, but aren't saying it, because you don't want people to make fun of you, shame on you.

Spursfan092120
08-23-2009, 12:01 AM
Follow the leader. Apparently nobody in this thread believes in anything. :lol
Exactly what I was just saying....lol...look at the post below yours.

WildcardManu
08-23-2009, 12:01 AM
When did it become cool to not believe in God? And when did it become so uncool to believe that no one speaks out about their faith? If none of you believe, that's fine..to each their own. But if some of you do believe, but aren't saying it, because you don't want people to make fun of you, shame on you.

Amen to that.

WildcardManu
08-23-2009, 12:02 AM
I'm assuming if Phyzik jumps off a cliff the sheep will follow.

Spursfan092120
08-23-2009, 12:04 AM
ooh....it's the big bad believer in God...let's laugh at him and tell him he's a blind idiot...

Spursfan092120
08-23-2009, 12:05 AM
The very sad part of it is, the OP never said anything else..just started the thread...probably wanted to be the guy who stirred things up.

WildcardManu
eh, i think we scared them off.

Spursfan092120
http://thebsreport.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/sheep_off_cliff.jpg

WildcardManu
08-23-2009, 12:06 AM
:lmao:lmao
http://thebsreport.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/sheep_off_cliff.jpg

Spursfan092120
08-23-2009, 12:06 AM
eh, i think we scared them off.
I'm sure they're just not around. They'd have something to say if they were, I'm sure...they'd bash us and make fun of us. Oh well...doesn't bother me a bit. Insults won't change my beliefs.

WildcardManu
08-23-2009, 12:09 AM
I'm sure they're just not around. They'd have something to say if they were, I'm sure...they'd bash us and make fun of us. Oh well...doesn't bother me a bit. Insults won't change my beliefs.

Yep, it's called free will, and you can choose to believe or not to, to do or not to do.

Spursfan092120
08-23-2009, 12:12 AM
Yep, it's called free will, and you can choose to believe or not to, to do or not to do.
agreed. That's what I find so funny about this thread. They turned it into Christians, or anyone who believes in a God shoves God down people's throats, while, at the same time, they're bashing people for believing. So we're supposed to give them the will to not believe (which I could care less if they do or don't), but yet anyone who does believe is blind, and stupid. Sounds kinda hypocritical to me.

Cry Havoc
08-23-2009, 12:57 AM
Do you study your scripture? Throughout your entire scripture it talks about people being blind, deaf and dumb. Sheepish, hard head, stiff necked people. There is is not a church on the planet that does not teach the condemnation of those who don't accept their religion and God.

Jesus stated to love thy neighbor AND thy enemy. He never said anything about only finding other people of faith to be nice to.

Christians who believe that those who don't believe in their make-believe God do more bashing than any religion there is.

Source on this? That's a pretty grandiose statement to make.

Condemning someone to burn in hell for eternity is about as bad as it gets. I agree with the OP. Religion has caused more blood shed than anything, and no religion can claim they have brought peace to any part of this world.

Yes. You're completely right. It was religion that caused so much bloodshed, not humanity's innate greed and desire for power. If you took religion out of the complex, then it would be just a bunch of kings sitting around playing RISK with each other and lots of ass kissing. No plays for power, no death at all. Religion caused the holocaust, the starvation of the people of the Soviet Russia, the genocide in Rwanda. The crusades? ALL about religion. Nothing had to do with power hungry people attempting to gain land or money or influence.

Yes, I have doubts about religion, just as God has doubts about the things he put his faith in.

You just stated that people of faith bash non-believers more than anyone else, and in the same post decried religion and blamed it for basically every major war ever fought. Nicely done.

Jacob1983
08-23-2009, 01:41 AM
I think a person's age has a lot to do with whether or not they believe in God or a higher being. As I've gotten older, I've started to doubt Christianity, Jesus, and God a lot. When I see things like 9/11, The Holocaust, the Sri Lanka tsunami, and hurricane Katrina, it makes me wonder. I'm sure there were many people involved in those events that prayed to God to help them and to save their lives but a lot of their prayers were not answered and they died in those tragedies. If God doesn't answer the prayers of the people on United 93 then how do I know he will answer mine? It just makes me wonder.

MaNuMaNiAc
08-23-2009, 04:22 AM
Organized religion has a fucked up track record. I still don't get how people can fall for their bullshit time and time again. God on the other hand is a whole different matter. Someone, something started this whole thing and I'm not going to sit here and pretend I know who or what it is. Doubt is the name of the game people! and if you don't have it you're not playing it right.

holcs50
08-23-2009, 05:13 AM

HAHA-man I feel ya. I mean all my friends now and even throughout my college years a couple years ago really have taken on the "how BS is religion, religion is the reason for all problems, so we should blame anyone associated with a belief or religion stupid". 1st, yes religion differences have caused a lot of problems, but the people causing these problems are morons and you can't generalize everyone who believes in something as a person who starts these problems. Its power hungry/money hungry individuals who use it as a crutch. 2nd, me and my friends talk sometimes about it and most disagree with me, but that's fine, most people ive met who are christian or another faith don't try to push upon beliefs at all....it's just become the "cool" thing to say, that all people who believe in god or whoever are this exact type of person....how dumb are you guys actually being? Maybe take a look in the mirror? There's people out there that believe in something and take it to an extreme, there's people who don't and take it to another extreme...that doesn't mean you categorize everyone into those extremes.

Im still very conflicted though on the youth thing because it is the cool thing to do to not really associate with a religion or belief-i mean you are in the minority if you do at age 20-30 right now (speaking for socal, and tucson only). And again that's completely fine, its just the people who are so anti-religion have made themselves out to be just exactly like the radical religion people. Its ridiculous on both sides. Eh, im rambling, but you know most of my best friends are "agnostic", and i dont care, i still love them, and i still believe, and all of us can discuss-have great times-etc. because we don't let that divide us and no one is trying to push...respect one another.

sabar
08-23-2009, 06:14 AM
I think a person's age has a lot to do with whether or not they believe in God or a higher being. As I've gotten older, I've started to doubt Christianity, Jesus, and God a lot. When I see things like 9/11, The Holocaust, the Sri Lanka tsunami, and hurricane Katrina, it makes me wonder. I'm sure there were many people involved in those events that prayed to God to help them and to save their lives but a lot of their prayers were not answered and they died in those tragedies. If God doesn't answer the prayers of the people on United 93 then how do I know he will answer mine? It just makes me wonder.

I don't think it's any god's agenda to answer prayers on earth. Evil exists as a prerequisite to free will and the supposed reward for going through the evils of life is eternal bliss. If earth were a utopia there wouldn't be such a big deal about an afterlife, and no reason to have faith in anything, making the whole idea of worship and religion pointless.

Genesis clearly states god's will imo in which it is demonstrated that a perfect world with free will leads to evil actions. God didn't create some mindless zombie utopia where you lay down and just feel constant pleasure. How can we make choices without evil? Especially since there are degrees of evil that are tolerated amongst people.

I never bought onto the whole "if god exists, why is there evil?" routine; there are many other reasons to doubt faith/god.

exstatic
08-23-2009, 08:11 AM
I'm assuming if Phyzik jumps off a cliff the sheep will follow.

We're not the flock, you are.

ManuTP9
08-23-2009, 08:14 AM
i rarley go to church but half of my family does every sunday. i still believe in God though.

holcs50
08-23-2009, 08:25 AM

haha can u say the word hy-po-crit-e-cal

JoeChalupa
08-23-2009, 09:37 AM
I think Bruce was talking about a woman, not a Supreme Being of any sort.

But the meaning is the same. There have been so many religion threads it is ridiculous. I've said my peace so carry on. My faith is as solid as ever and nothing I read in here is ever going to change that.
I really have no desire to know what someone's religious beliefs are and have no desire to question them either.
I believe and let believe.
I don't push my religion on anyone either. 0
A person's religion has no bearing on whether I want to associate with that person at all. That is ridiculous.

samikeyp
08-23-2009, 10:23 AM
I believe in God but I have a problem with organized religion. I don't like people telling me how to worship or what my relationship with God has to be and IMO, that is basically what religion does. That being said, while I believe in God, that belief is hanging on by a thread.

exstatic
08-23-2009, 10:33 AM
But the meaning is the same. There have been so many religion threads it is ridiculous. I've said my peace so carry on. My faith is as solid as ever and nothing I read in here is ever going to change that.
I really have no desire to know what someone's religious beliefs are and have no desire to question them either.
I believe and let believe.
I don't push my religion on anyone either. 0
A person's religion has no bearing on whether I want to associate with that person at all. That is ridiculous.

So, you're better than Jesus? Because that's what it sounds like you're saying. Even He doubted and despaired.

Shastafarian
08-23-2009, 10:48 AM
That doesn't matter...they were. I believe..period

What I *think* he was trying to get as was what about Bob Smith over there who also has a father with ALS and a mother with Breast Cancer. Only both his parents died. Why does God only care about saving your parents? It gets back to the whole "why do good people die young?"

Supreme_Being
08-23-2009, 11:11 AM
That doesnt mean a supreme being doesnt exist, it just means WE created HIM to suit our needs for order.

Amen, I say to you, I exist. :lol

Spursfan092120
08-23-2009, 12:17 PM
What I *think* he was trying to get as was what about Bob Smith over there who also has a father with ALS and a mother with Breast Cancer. Only both his parents died. Why does God only care about saving your parents? It gets back to the whole "why do good people die young?"
And I'm saying I don't know. I'm not God..and I'm not a doctor. I just know that I believe, and just because other people don't isn't going to change my opinion, or my right to say that I do believe.

Spursfan092120
08-23-2009, 12:20 PM
If you truly believe you are not a flock as well, then you need to wake up. Not believing has somehow become the "cool" thing to do. If you don't believe, that's fine...but when everyone gets on and bashes people who do believe, it's just as bad as what you're saying the religious freaks are. I am Lutheran. Unfortunately, I haven't been to church in a long time, as I work Sunday mornings. I am not a religious freak, or a bible thumper, but I pray every day, and I believe that God is listening. If you don't, like I said before, that's your prerogative, and I won't insult you for it...just don't insult me for mine.

Shastafarian
08-23-2009, 12:50 PM
And I'm saying I don't know. I'm not God..and I'm not a doctor. I just know that I believe, and just because other people don't isn't going to change my opinion, or my right to say that I do believe.

So you just believe that God helped your parents but not ______'s parents for some godly reason?

Jacob1983
08-23-2009, 01:06 PM
You won't really know for sure if there is a God or higher being until you die or have a near death experience.

Shastafarian
08-23-2009, 01:07 PM
You won't really know for sure if there is a God or higher being until you die.

fify

Darrin
08-23-2009, 01:47 PM
You won't really know for sure if there is a God or higher being until you die or have a near death experience.

To die, to sleep,
To sleep perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,

Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 1.

exstatic
08-23-2009, 01:53 PM
If you truly believe you are not a flock as well, then you need to wake up. Not believing has somehow become the "cool" thing to do. If you don't believe, that's fine...but when everyone gets on and bashes people who do believe, it's just as bad as what you're saying the religious freaks are. I am Lutheran. Unfortunately, I haven't been to church in a long time, as I work Sunday mornings. I am not a religious freak, or a bible thumper, but I pray every day, and I believe that God is listening. If you don't, like I said before, that's your prerogative, and I won't insult you for it...just don't insult me for mine.
Posting a picture of us "sheep" going over the cliff isn't insulting?

ploto
08-23-2009, 01:56 PM
I don't ask God to change my life or the world, but instead to help me work to change me.

Supreme_Being
08-23-2009, 02:02 PM
All of you! I command you! Stop this useless banter and get laid! :downspin:

Spursfan092120
08-23-2009, 03:15 PM
So you just believe that God helped your parents but not ______'s parents for some godly reason?
I don't ask questions....I believe. I've had what I would consider miracles happen to me in my life...it's a miracle that I'm alive, that my father is alive, and that my mother is alive. That's enough for me.

Spursfan092120
08-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Posting a picture of us "sheep" going over the cliff isn't insulting?
just portraying a statement...calling someone a blind sheep is the same thing...eye for an eye...it's in the bible. :)

exstatic
08-23-2009, 03:22 PM
just portraying a statement...calling someone a blind sheep is the same thing...eye for an eye...it's in the bible. :)

Actually, I just said I wasn't part of the flock, but that you were. I was quoting someone who said he was your shepherd. Ironic that you called US sheep, isn't it?

Even if I were insulting you (and I wasn't), don't you have another cheek you should be turning?

Shastafarian
08-23-2009, 03:27 PM
I don't ask questionsWhy not?

....I believe. I've had what I would consider miracles happen to me in my life...it's a miracle that I'm alive, that my father is alive, and that my mother is alive. That's enough for me.
What happened to you that you're lucky to be alive?

Muser
08-23-2009, 04:07 PM
I haven't read the bible or anything, never paid attention in Religion classes, but I was thinking;

If God truly did create everything, did he also create hell and Satan?

spursfan09
08-23-2009, 04:23 PM
I haven't read the bible or anything, never paid attention in Religion classes, but I was thinking;

Lucifer = fallen angel

exstatic
08-23-2009, 04:46 PM
there are only 2 things true in life
1. God is a Republican white man. Photos show it is true.
2. White people (a phrase created just a few centuries ago) are the supreme beings.

Everyone else needs to stfu.

fify

Leetonidas
08-23-2009, 04:51 PM
:lmao @ people thinking we're the sheep because we don't believe in God. How ironic.

I don't believe in God, and not because it's the cool thing to do, because it's really not and everytime this topic comes up a bunch of religious faggotry ensues.

Like I said, adults with imaginary friends make me LOL.

benefactor
08-23-2009, 05:09 PM
:lmao @ people thinking we're the sheep because we don't believe in God. How ironic.

I don't believe in God, and not because it's the cool thing to do, because it's really not and everytime this topic comes up a bunch of religious faggotry ensues.

Like I said, adults with imaginary friends make me LOL.
Really? So you would laugh at the alcoholic that has used his faith to help him cure his destructive addiction?

Leetonidas
08-23-2009, 05:24 PM
If he has to use that as a crutch because he doesn't have the strength within himself to do it, then yes. Not that there's anything wrong with being religious. I don't hate Christians or anything. I just don't like people who shove their beliefs down my throat, which is what most of them do.

Darrin
08-23-2009, 05:30 PM

He created free will and that is how heaven and hell were created, according to doctrine.

Leetonidas
08-23-2009, 05:31 PM
Full drone mode.

Seriously. So you think because your lives were spared in some way that there's a God? What about all those wicked people who get saved the same way then end up murdering and torturing people? I seem to recall this one guy, named Hitler...

Darrin
08-23-2009, 05:41 PM
Really? So you would laugh at the alcoholic that has used his faith to help him cure his destructive addiction?

There is power within all of us to control our actions. Christians call this free will. I call it the unique power of human beings to overcome themselves. Too much credit is given to god when someone doesn't believe they are strong enough to put down the bottle. To be promised riches in the next world invites one to give up riches in this life. Therefore, it can make you less susceptible to backsliding.

Religion, by all accounts, is a human institution. It responds to the laws put down by man. And its sole purpose is to change mankind for the better. It is a tremendous amount of power because it creates a master and a servant in a life. Eternally. If one is willing to step in for the deity in that regard then the power-hungry can abuse the institution. This has happened many times throughout our history.

So the truth is that it is laughable, but this athiest believes there recovery is more important than being right.

benefactor
08-23-2009, 05:41 PM
Yes!!! I would most certainly laugh at the fool who would reject every sign his body and his doctor has given him to not abuse alcohol, but then says his faith in some invisible God gave him the courage to stop.
You are naive. Physical and psychological addiction is much more powerful than you are giving it credit for. Some people can't just stop at the word of a doctor.

benefactor
08-23-2009, 05:43 PM
There is power within all of us to control our actions. Christians call this free will. I call it the unique power of human beings to overcome themselves. Too much credit is given to god when someone doesn't believe they are strong enough to put down the bottle. To be promised riches in the next world invites one to give up riches in this life. Therefore, it can make you less susceptible to backsliding.

Religion, by all accounts, is a human institution. It responds to the laws put down by man. And its sole purpose is to change mankind for the better. It is a tremendous amount of power because it creates a master and a servant in a life. Eternally. If one is willing to step in for the deity in that regard then the power-hungry can abuse the institution. This has happened many times throughout our history.

So the truth is that it is laughable, but this athiest believes there recovery is more important than being right.
Again...from the mouth of someone that has never been addicted to anything or understands the addicted mind.

Darrin
08-23-2009, 05:48 PM
What doctrine are you reading? What scripture teaches you that heaven was created because of free will?

Heaven does not exist until hell is created. Heaven was existence. God created a different existence out of Lucifer's iniquity (Ezekiel 28).

Darrin
08-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Again...from the mouth of someone that has never been addicted to anything or understands the addicted mind.

I smoke. I eat. I do both in excess. What arrogance you have displayed.

benefactor
08-23-2009, 05:53 PM
I smoke. I eat. I do both in excess.
You are not seriously comparing these things to alcoholism, are you?

Darrin
08-23-2009, 06:05 PM

Yes. Addiction is addiction.

Shastafarian
08-23-2009, 06:11 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtqBHu2P0_E

Spursfan092120
08-23-2009, 10:26 PM
What happened to you that you're lucky to be alive?
Very serious car accident when I was 16 years old...flipped my truck several times through a barbed wire fence, and a telephone pole fell and went right through my windshield. Went right past my head. I walked away without a scratch.

Spursfan092120
08-23-2009, 10:29 PM
Full drone mode.
People like you are worse than religious fanatics. You insult people for their beliefs. Say what you will, but nothing you can say will change what I believe.

Spursfan092120
08-23-2009, 10:34 PM
If he has to use that as a crutch because he doesn't have the strength within himself to do it, then yes. Not that there's anything wrong with being religious. I don't hate Christians or anything. I just don't like people who shove their beliefs down my throat, which is what most of them do.
First off, I like you, so I want to make sure you know this is no offense...My faith is not a crutch. I believe in God because I've had a lot of things happen in my life that I consider miracles, and I believe he is the one who brought them to me. And for you to say that most Christians shove their beliefs down people's throat, that's crap. I live in the south, where Christians are everywhere..and we don't shove anything down anyone's throat. Maybe where you live they do, but maybe that's because you shove the fact that you DON'T believe down people's throats. Maybe not, but that's just as bad as when Laker fans say all Spurs fans hate Kobe Bryant. Completely untrue...maybe some do, but most just live their lives.

MagnusKrauss
08-23-2009, 11:15 PM
faith x= religion

Leetonidas
08-23-2009, 11:19 PM
First off, I like you, so I want to make sure you know this is no offense...My faith is not a crutch. I believe in God because I've had a lot of things happen in my life that I consider miracles, and I believe he is the one who brought them to me. And for you to say that most Christians shove their beliefs down people's throat, that's crap. I live in the south, where Christians are everywhere..and we don't shove anything down anyone's throat. Maybe where you live they do, but maybe that's because you shove the fact that you DON'T believe down people's throats. Maybe not, but that's just as bad as when Laker fans say all Spurs fans hate Kobe Bryant. Completely untrue...maybe some do, but most just live their lives.

Don't take what I said as a personal attack on you or something, because I was speaking generally. If you feel that God is the motivation behind you being able to give up drinking, that's fine. Good for you, more power to you for giving it up. I just believe that within every person is something called willpower, and there are those who would choose to believe that things aren't left in our own hands to decide and think God is the decider of all, which is bullshit. I make my own choices and choose my own path, not some make believe deity. I don't use God as a crutch, whether that is using his "love" as my motivation to do something or whether that be feeling sorry for myself or not doing anything to better my position because it's just God's will and he'll get me through it.

Secondly, I don't shove anything down anyone's throats, so please don't throw wild accusations and assumptions around. I generally keep my religious thoughts to myself, because if ever I speak my mind on the subject it becomes this huge debacle about faith and God and shit. And you say people don't shove it down your throats in the south, which is funny because I live in SA which I'm sure is pretty south. But seriously, that's a load of horse shit. Because I'm sure any other atheist here will tell you that if you're talking to a religious person and you tell them you're an atheist, all they will try to do is tell you how God is present everywhere blah blah, and then they'll go off on some long tirade about how God saved their life or some crazy miracle happened to them so that proves he's real. And it's just extremely tiring to here people who won't listen to reason or any scientific evidence, HARD EVIDENCE, and just blindly follow like a sheep because they're so afraid that if they don't they'll go to hell.

That's all religion is. Made by man to make himself feel more secure in his meaningless existence by adding grand delusions of some Utopian afterlife if we all adhere to what some perverted old faggots at the Vatican tell us to our lives so we feel more important, like we're apart of something bigger when in reality we're not that important and our existence on this planet is a statistical anomaly.

Well, I ain't buyin' that shit.

SonOfAGun
08-23-2009, 11:26 PM
I've offered an open invitation to the first one who would have a meeting with me to discuss a deal. God & Devil.

Neither one showed up. I don't think they exist.

Jacob1983
08-23-2009, 11:27 PM
I've always wondered about Lucifer. I thought angels were not like humans in the sense that they don't have free will yet Lucifer fell from Heaven and became Satan. It doesn't make sense in my opinion. And I've never understood the concept of loving God. How can you love someone that you've never met, seen, touched, or heard? I know that faith is believing in the absence of proof but it's kinda hard for me to understand how you can love someone that you believe exists because of a leap of faith.

Leetonidas
08-23-2009, 11:36 PM
I guess you and I are not so different, Laker fan.

:lol

holcs50
08-24-2009, 01:06 AM
i see this conversation has gotten far. Oh wow, wait, whats that? religion talks never go anywhere? oh yea that's what I thought. I wonder how many threads have come up about religion and gotten no where-no ones changing anyones minds, pretty much a waste of time-and yes i realize i put in my thoughts but it is pretty much pointless, ultimately questions will be asked, flaws pointed out, etc. You either are religious or your not. Doesn't make you a better person or not, just a choice. I'm going to say a prayer for you all.......i keed i keed

Cry Havoc
08-24-2009, 01:13 AM

Scientific studies have shown there is substantial evidence that individuals who live through life with a belief in a deity or incorporate a spiritual component to their lives live longer and healthier than those who do not.

If you've paid attention to the Bible, it states that the number of true Christians in the world are very few. If an atheist walks up to me and punches me in the face, may I hold all atheists responsible for such an act? If not, please refrain from generalizing so drastically.

Cry Havoc
08-24-2009, 01:14 AM
:lol

You know they use to sell tickets to heaven, right? I saw some fool on tv selling holy crackers. One clown was selling holy water from Russia. And what about those lame ass crosses depicting how disgraceful their all powerful being got murdered, and yet he's suppose to come back and save them.:rolleyes

Stalin was an atheist.

Therefore, all atheists are murderers.

See? We can play that game all day.

Strike
08-24-2009, 01:16 AM
That's just it, they wont attribute all this evil to God, even though he made man in his image, and his likeness. God was so disgusted in his creation of man, that he tried to flood the whole earth, so they say. But some guy built a boat, and took the animals, and you all know the rest. You see, they have an easy out when you corner them with simple logic. They just blame it on some other make believe character, instead of the person that they claim created it all. Its like chasing a snake, with the way they twist and turn their truth.

Damn you! You just had to be open minded about religion and religious nutjobs, didn't you? Just had to have the balls to call a spade a spade! Just so a Spurs fan like myself with the same opinions would just have to agree with a Laker fan like yourself, right? Damn you Laker fans!!!

Kidding. My (soon to be) ex sister-in-law is exactly the person you're describing. Every logical question is answered with biblical rhetoric. Not that I have a problem with ALL religious people. Just the blind faith sheep that don't think for themselves.

And if any of you are offended by the term "blind faith sheep", then you just might be one. I'm just sayin'...

Spursfan092120
08-24-2009, 01:49 AM
Don't take what I said as a personal attack on you or something, because I was speaking generally. If you feel that God is the motivation behind you being able to give up drinking, that's fine. Good for you, more power to you for giving it up. I just believe that within every person is something called willpower, and there are those who would choose to believe that things aren't left in our own hands to decide and think God is the decider of all, which is bullshit. I make my own choices and choose my own path, not some make believe deity. I don't use God as a crutch, whether that is using his "love" as my motivation to do something or whether that be feeling sorry for myself or not doing anything to better my position because it's just God's will and he'll get me through it.

Secondly, I don't shove anything down anyone's throats, so please don't throw wild accusations and assumptions around. I generally keep my religious thoughts to myself, because if ever I speak my mind on the subject it becomes this huge debacle about faith and God and shit. And you say people don't shove it down your throats in the south, which is funny because I live in SA which I'm sure is pretty south. But seriously, that's a load of horse shit. Because I'm sure any other atheist here will tell you that if you're talking to a religious person and you tell them you're an atheist, all they will try to do is tell you how God is present everywhere blah blah, and then they'll go off on some long tirade about how God saved their life or some crazy miracle happened to them so that proves he's real. And it's just extremely tiring to here people who won't listen to reason or any scientific evidence, HARD EVIDENCE, and just blindly follow like a sheep because they're so afraid that if they don't they'll go to hell.

That's all religion is. Made by man to make himself feel more secure in his meaningless existence by adding grand delusions of some Utopian afterlife if we all adhere to what some perverted old faggots at the Vatican tell us to our lives so we feel more important, like we're apart of something bigger when in reality we're not that important and our existence on this planet is a statistical anomaly.

Well, I ain't buyin' that shit.
Now, firstly, I never said God helped me give up drinking. I think you were confusing me with someone else. My faith in God comes from the fact that myself, as well as my mother and father are still alive today, even though the odds say we shouldn't be. I have also dealt with a lot of money problems in the past, and with prayer, I felt the strength I needed to climb out of the hole and put myself in a different position. If you feel what you're saying is what religion is, that's fine, but that's just it. That's what you feel. Just like I believe in God. You have every right to believe what you believe just as I do. But while I respect you, don't think for a second that I'll sit back and believe when you try to tell me that what you believe is fact, when the truth is, there are no facts to support either claim that there is a God, or that there isn't. I choose to believe there is, and will continue to do so, despite the bashing.

Spursfan092120
08-24-2009, 01:50 AM
i see this conversation has gotten far. Oh wow, wait, whats that? Religion talks never go anywhere? Oh yea that's what i thought. I wonder how many threads have come up about religion and gotten no where-no ones changing anyones minds, pretty much a waste of time-and yes i realize i put in my thoughts but it is pretty much pointless, ultimately questions will be asked, flaws pointed out, etc. You either are religious or your not. Doesn't make you a better person or not, just a choice. I'm going to say a prayer for you all.......i keed i keed
+1000000000000000000000000

xellos88330
08-24-2009, 02:00 AM
I have never doubted my faith or God. I see things happening for a reason, and alot of it doesn't seem like coincidence to me at all. It has been my experience that with all the bad in the world, it just makes the good feel that much better. Those who had struggles seem to appreciate their success alot more than those who had minimal obstacles to hurdle. It is the way of the world.

benefactor
08-24-2009, 09:04 AM
No sir, I am keenly aware of how powerful psychological addiction can be. In fact, it simply blows my mind. Its true, that some people cant stop at the word of a doctor, or the sense of their own body But as the good Jesus once pondered; how can you hate your bother, that you do know, and yet love him, that you don't know. I ponder similar questions. How can you ignore and have no faith in yourself, or a doctor that you may know, but have full faith in a God that you know not. You don't have to answer this, I'm just thinking out loud.
It's difficult to understand indeed. My hospital is a revolving door of many of the same people that continue to come back to drugs and alcohol...even though it costs them their families, jobs and health.

I guess I am passionate about it because it is close to home for me. My faith helped me come out of a destructive lifestyle that was hurting myself and those around me. It made a better father, son and husband. Can people be good at these things without faith? Absolutely. But with my predisposition to addictive behaviors, I needed something extra to help me overcome. I don't openly push my faith, but if I am put in a situation where I see someone with similar struggles and the opportunity arises, I will share my story with them. It has nothing to do with selling them fire insurance or coaxing them to my church. It's more about them finding the same thing I found...which is peace within themselves and the power to overcome the same types of struggles that I dealt with.

ploto
08-24-2009, 09:30 AM
It is a shame that so many people base their view of religion on some TV evangelists or the most annoying religious people they have ever met. Those people annoy me, too. I would guess, though, that there are plenty of people you like and respect who find their peace through their faith and you simply do not know it.

I think that people have it backwards. Religion is not what contaminates people; it is people who contaminate religion. I think that for many who use religion for money, power, prestige, and as a weapon, they would simply use some other device to accomplish the same result if religion were not an option. Someone will be narcissistic and manipulative in everything he does. Religion and its practices may be for show, but so are his work, his relationships, and all his other dealings.

BacktoBasics
08-24-2009, 09:40 AM
One of the things that has always annoyed me is the thumpers ability to compartmentalize randoms acts in one place. Then pedestal up other significant acts in perfect order because its all pre-determined by the big man in sky.

Ant bites you. Random happening in life.

Your sister dies in a car accident at the age of 17. Gods Plan.

You dropped your dinner on the ground while making your way to the table. Random Accident.

Your 28 year old uncle falls to his death at a construction site. Gods devine working.

Find a heads up penny. Random luck.

Win the lotto. God chose me.

-----------------------------------------------

Or worse the total thumper loon.

Ant bites me. God sent the ant to bite me so I would scratch my wound and notice that my finger nails were too long. God sent that ant to let me know I needed my nails trimmed.

Soul_Patch
08-24-2009, 09:43 AM
One of the things that has always annoyed me is the thumpers ability to compartmentalize randoms acts in one place. Then pedestal up other significant acts in perfect order because its all pre-determined by the big man in sky.

Ant bites you. Random happening in life.

Your sister dies in a car accident at the age of 17. Gods Plan.

You dropped your dinner on the ground while making your way to the table. Random Accident.

Your 28 year old uncle falls to his death at a construction site. Gods devine working.

Find a heads up penny. Random luck.

Win the lotto. God chose me.

-----------------------------------------------

Or worse the total thumper loon.

Ant bites me. God sent the ant to bite me so I would scratch my wound and notice that my finger nails were too long. God sent that ant to let me know I needed my nails trimmed.

:lmao :toast

boutons_deux
08-24-2009, 09:47 AM
George Carlin has a great routine about how his praying to the sun (or was it Joe Pesci :lol), something he could actually see and knew existed, had about the same results as praying to God (he was raised in a Catholic home).

About 50% of the time praying to the sun worked, about 50% of the time, it didn't. About same results as praying to God.

SonOfAGun
08-24-2009, 10:30 AM
Still, if you believe in something greater after all of this, it can help you live a better life.

We still don't know much about the human brain. I bet this spirituality/religion ability humans have somehow unlocks something extra sub consciously that makes those people strong. I know some religious people (keep it to themselves) that are 100% unbreakable and are able to just ram through all the shit life throws at them.

Didn't Carlin turn to drugs or booze? That's fucking weak.

benefactor
08-24-2009, 11:28 AM
It is a shame that so many people base their view of religion on some TV evangelists or the most annoying religious people they have ever met. Those people annoy me, too. I would guess, though, that there are plenty of people you like and respect who find their peace through their faith and you simply do not know it.

I think that people have it backwards. Religion is not what contaminates people; it is people who contaminate religion. I think that for many who use religion for money, power, prestige, and as a weapon, they would simply use some other device to accomplish the same result if religion were not an option. Someone will be narcissistic and manipulative in everything he does. Religion and its practices may be for show, but so are his work, his relationships, and all his other dealings.
Exactly. There are very few churches that actually represent who Jesus was and what he stood for. It's funny how most Christian people today look more like the Pharisees that Jesus called "whitewashed tombs." Oh how far we have fallen from the church that is described in Acts 2.

"44 And all the believers met together in one place and shared everything they had. 45 They sold their property and possessions and shared the money with those in need. 46 They worshiped together at the Temple each day, met in homes for the Lord’s Supper, and shared their meals with great joy and generosity"
:depressed

Darrin
08-24-2009, 01:27 PM

It is not without merit. For the record I am an athiest. While I needed simple needs like medication, food, and shelter I was forced to attend one-hour-long prayer sessions in the mornings, and three three-hour-long sermons while stayed in a homeless shelter. Without those appearances, I would not be allowed to stay there or eat there. I was homeless.

It does happen, and just because it is not your experience doesn't mean that it's a total fabrication.

Darrin
08-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Scientific studies have shown there is substantial evidence that individuals who live through life with a belief in a deity or incorporate a spiritual component to their lives live longer and healthier than those who do not.

I think that has to do with surrendering your problems and stress when you cannot change the circumstances. If athiests took that attitude, I think we'd be a healthier bunch. But for the record, I am insulin-resistent, overweight, and a smoker.

If you've paid attention to the Bible, it states that the number of true Christians in the world are very few. If an atheist walks up to me and punches me in the face, may I hold all atheists responsible for such an act? If not, please refrain from generalizing so drastically.

That is a good point. However, when an athiest punches you for being a Christian, feel free to make the persecution argument. There are crimes committed in the name of god. For instance, the Spanish Inquisition.

ploto
08-24-2009, 01:58 PM
...I was forced to attend one-hour-long prayer sessions in the mornings, and three three-hour-long sermons while stayed in a homeless shelter. Without those appearances, I would not be allowed to stay there or eat there. I was homeless.

I would guess that this shelter was run by a religious organization and that you went to them for help. That is not the same thing at all as claiming people cram their beliefs down your throat. Was there no atheist-run charity offering you assistance? Then, you want to gripe about the people whose faith motivated them to assist you in your need?

BacktoBasics
08-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Dude goes in for charity and cries about the stipulations that come with "free". I hate fucking people.

MaNuMaNiAc
08-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Dude goes in for charity and cries about the stipulations that come with "free". I hate fucking people.

:lmao

Darrin
08-24-2009, 04:20 PM
I would guess that this shelter was run by a religious organization and that you went to them for help. That is not the same thing at all as claiming people cram their beliefs down your throat. Was there no atheist-run charity offering you assistance? Then, you want to gripe about the people whose faith motivated them to assist you in your need?

Do a search on your computer for shelters in Oakland County, MI. It's Grace Centers for Hope in Pontiac, MI or some shelter in Royal Oak. These are government-funded institutions. It wasn't like I went to all the charities in the area, I went to the shelters in my community.

The simple answer is no. There was nowhere else to go. I help without faith. I have had a homeless man stay in my house to keep him out of Grace Centers. If they are chasing some version of heaven, then damn them and their faith. This is about a sense of community, and yes, you pissed me off with your post.

Darrin
08-24-2009, 04:21 PM
dude goes in for charity and cries about the stipulations that come with "free". I hate fucking people.

this is the only shelter in my area! Would you rather me on the street! Fuck you!

pkbpkb81
08-24-2009, 04:28 PM
I believe

But yes some days are harder than others and I fell GOD understands when we have

Doubts

ploto
08-24-2009, 05:01 PM
Do a search on your computer for shelters in Oakland County, MI. It's Grace Centers for Hope in Pontiac, MI or some shelter in Royal Oak. These are government-funded institutions.

Grace Centers of Hope is considered one of the leading faith-based organizations in Southeastern Michigan daily confronting issues of homelessness, addiction, poverty and spiritual emptiness.

Our $3 million dollar budget is supported exclusively through private support; we receive no government dollars.

So again, I ask about your being angry that a faith-based organization includes spiritual guidance in its efforts. That is a part of its mission.

Darrin
08-24-2009, 05:03 PM
So again, I ask about your being angry that a faith-based organization includes spiritual guidance in its efforts. That is a part of its mission.

Pride goeth before the fall. And yes. Since it was the only organization I could go to in Oakland County. I would've lost my health-care provider if I stayed in Macomb.

ploto
08-24-2009, 05:12 PM
And yes. Since it was the only organization I could go to in Oakland County.

So you are angry that a faith-based organization that gets all its money from private donors who support those specific faith-based efforts includes in its mission issues of a spiritual nature? Are they not welcome to conduct their mission as they see fit?

Should you not rather be angry that no one else in the area offered an alternative?

Homeland Security
08-24-2009, 05:31 PM
this is the only shelter in my area! Would you rather me on the street! Fuck you!
I love it. Not only do you demand a handout, you demand to stipulate the manner in which it is handed out. Fuck you, you animal.

It goes to show why those charities are idiotic and worthless -- they prevent excess population like you from dying the slow, lonely deaths they deserve.

Homeland Security
08-24-2009, 05:33 PM
Religion is either a tool for people to assuage their guilt as they go along their merry way stepping on others toward wealth and power, or a means of coping for those getting stepped on.

I don't believe in guilt.

Darrin
08-24-2009, 05:37 PM
So you are angry that a faith-based organization that gets all its money from private donors who support those specific faith-based efforts includes in its mission issues of a spiritual nature? Are they not welcome to conduct their mission as they see fit?

Should you not rather be angry that no one else in the area offered an alternative?

No, because it wasn't the only shelter I stayed at. I stayed in the building of a church and was less offended (MCREST) and just as much an athiest. They provided us with entertainment (Christian Music) but they did not mandate that we sit and listen to the preacherman for three hours. They invited us to go to church, yet we were were not forced to get up at 6AM and pray for one hour.

I would've scrubbed toilets, gone on job training, jumped through any hoop except that one. I left after one week because I was mugged and that, in combination with the shelter, made me prefer the street.

You are asking me to violate my personal beliefs and spend my time surrounded by the very institution I rejected. Christianity.

As for that void, it just proves that too often the burden and responsiblity of charity falls to the religious. I want to change that one day in this county. That is my dream.

Darrin
08-24-2009, 05:48 PM
I love it. Not only do you demand a handout, you demand to stipulate the manner in which it is handed out. Fuck you, you animal.

It goes to show why those charities are idiotic and worthless -- they prevent excess population like you from dying the slow, lonely deaths they deserve.

Good for you. As a matter of fact, I left after being mugged outside of their institution. I didn't demand a handout, I asked for help. I called 1-800-A-Shelter and asked if they had any shelters available.

So fuck you, too; For your lack of compassion. You're the animal demanding that your fellow man is not worth their grain and should die a slow death because they don't believe in Christ.

Jacob1983
08-24-2009, 06:17 PM
Personally, I think you shouldn't bash or make fun of someone because they're religious or believe in God. I'm a doubting Christian but I don't go up to Jews, Muslims, atheists, etc... and make fun of them for what they believe. People should be entitled to their religious beliefs. You may think they're stupid or wrong but you should at least respect their free will to believe in whatever they want.

ploto
08-24-2009, 06:30 PM
You are asking me to violate my personal beliefs and spend my time surrounded by the very institution I rejected. Christianity.

Did you not then violate your own beliefs by seeking assistance from the very institution you so strongly rejected? I am just trying to understand your anger at them. They do not seem to hide who they are.

Darrin
08-24-2009, 06:39 PM
Did you not then violate your own beliefs by seeking assistance from the very institution you so strongly rejected? I am just trying to understand your anger at them. They do not seem to hide who they are.

They don't. But all I did was try and stay in touch with my health-care provider and I didn't google them. It was recommended to me by an out-patient clinic to go to that shelter because they would lose jurisdiction over me if I didn't stay in Oakland. You act as if they do this WITHOUT the knowledge they are one of two shelters in the entire county. Simply because they can, doesn't mean they should do it. This is something that GOD DEMANDED OF MAN, to clothe, feed, and shelter the least among us. It's not just wrong, it's against their religion.

Darrin
08-24-2009, 06:42 PM
Personally, I think you shouldn't bash or make fun of someone because they're religious or believe in God. I'm a doubting Christian but I don't go up to Jews, Muslims, atheists, etc... and make fun of them for what they believe. People should be entitled to their religious beliefs. You may think they're stupid or wrong but you should at least respect their free will to believe in whatever they want.

If all Christians took your attitude there would be no reason to preach. The presumption of preaching to the lost is that they do not know about God and his ways. In short, their religion.

Kamnik
08-24-2009, 07:57 PM
RNy6ziOyxoA

His philosophy on several topics is really funny/eye opening... I love/ed this guy. RIP

p.s.

to any of his fans.... watch his 3,5 hour interview from a couple of years back; great stuff

tlongII
08-24-2009, 11:21 PM

A faith-based organization that forces you to attend prayer sessions in order to receive aid? That's BS in my opinion. It's also a prime example of religious nuts shoving their agenda down your throat.

Darrin
08-25-2009, 07:56 PM
A faith-based organization that forces you to attend prayer sessions in order to receive aid? That's BS in my opinion. It's also a prime example of religious nuts shoving their agenda down your throat.

I couldn't agree more.

lil_penny
08-25-2009, 08:50 PM
I went to a catholic school from k-8th church 2 times and week and religion shoved down my throat everyday... my grandparents both were big believers and big in the community so I tolerated it for them, however my parents could care less.
I don't have anything bad to say about people who are big into religion, whatever helps them with their life is fine with me... however some people are just plane nuts when it comes to it, and scientologists are the top of that category lol...

Catholic school did nothing more than cause myself and some friends to "rebel" even harder than most people I knew who were in private schools haha.

benefactor
08-25-2009, 08:52 PM
And yet the logic on this board is to bash the guy in need, who didn't want to pray to make believe characters, and sing stupid songs about make believe dead people. Just another prime example of the greatest scam of all time, which is Religion.
What this place is doing represents everything wrong with Christianity. I they want to offer the services, fine. If people don't want to go, that is fine too. You love without stipulations or strings.

benefactor
08-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Not too long ago I helped organize a team to go out to a local skate park in my town on a Saturday afternoon. We knew that a lot of kids went there and skated all day long with no food or drinks...so we bought a bunch of pizzas and water and took it out to them. When they asked us why we did it we simply told them, "You are out here all day with no food or drinks. We just don't want you to be hungry or thirsty." There was no sermon or or fire insurance pitch...just pizza and drinks for hungry and thirsty kids.

Just tonight I get a phone call about a girl that is about to have a baby and has nothing for it and no family in the area. I don't know this girl any better than I know the hundreds of people that might walk past me every day, but on my next day off my wife and I will be purchasing her a crib and most of the preliminary amenities she will need for her baby. I won't ask her to come to my church...and I sure as hell won't ask her if she thinks she will spend eternity in hell. If she ask why I am doing it, I will simply tell her that her baby needs these things and I am more than glad to give them too her.

Why is it so hard to just love people?

Darrin
08-25-2009, 09:07 PM
What this place is doing represents everything wrong with Christianity. I they want to offer the services, fine. If people don't want to go, that is fine too. You love without stipulations or strings.

Don't I have a duty not to waste their time? Wouldn't it be selfish to take the help and sit in the church uninterested and thinking this is bogus the entire time?

benefactor
08-25-2009, 09:10 PM
Don't I have a duty not to waste their time? Wouldn't it be selfish to take the help and sit in the church uninterested and thinking this is bogus the entire time?
That is up to you. If you want to think it is bogus that you are entitled to that. I just don't want you to be without a roof or food.

marini martini
08-25-2009, 09:16 PM
Not too long ago I helped organize a team to go out to a local skate park in my town on a Saturday afternoon. We knew that a lot of kids went there and skated all day long with no food or drinks...so we bought a bunch of pizzas and water and took it out to them. When they asked us why we did it we simply told them, "You are out here all day with no food or drinks. We just don't want you to be hungry or thirsty." There was no sermon or or fire insurance pitch...just pizza and drinks for hungry and thirsty kids.

Just tonight I get a phone call about a girl that is about to have a baby and has nothing for it and no family in the area. I don't know this girl any better than I know the hundreds of people that might walk past me every day, but on my next day off my wife and I will be purchasing her a crib and most of the preliminary amenities she will need for her baby. I won't ask her to come to my church...and I sure as hell won't ask her if she thinks she will spend eternity in hell. If she ask why I am doing it, I will simply tell her that her baby needs these things and I am more than glad to give them too her.

If you live in or around S.A., I have a crib, sheets, & changing table I'll let you have for cheap!:)

Blake
08-25-2009, 09:17 PM

reminds me of the time I sat through a time share presentation in order to get a $50 Salt Grass gift card. Horrible three hours.

Homeland Security
08-25-2009, 09:27 PM

Don't dislocate your shoulder patting yourself on the back there.

Homeland Security
08-25-2009, 09:31 PM
Good for you. As a matter of fact, I left after being mugged outside of their institution. I didn't demand a handout, I asked for help. I called 1-800-A-Shelter and asked if they had any shelters available.

So fuck you, too; For your lack of compassion. You're the animal demanding that your fellow man is not worth their grain and should die a slow death because they don't believe in Christ.
I don't give a shit whether or not you believe in Jesus or the Tooth Fairy or the Native American spirit realm or nothing. I care that you are a leech and a drag upon people who actually do something for a living. I have a pretty strong hunch which people group you're a part of.

Blake
08-25-2009, 09:45 PM

we all know how tough a whole day of skateboarding in the hot sun can be. Jesus did say to go forth unto all the gentiles and skaters.

it's a sales pitch whether you think it is or not.

z0sa
08-25-2009, 09:50 PM

man i had to do a shitload of walking today during college, that'll be two large supremes and a two liter of coke, thanks

Darrin
08-25-2009, 09:59 PM
Don't dislocate your shoulder patting yourself on the back there.

Shut up! How can you be against those two stories he just told?

Darrin
08-25-2009, 10:02 PM

On this we agree. You're doing real good and that can't be overlooked. Good for you. I've met a lot of people of faith with your attitude along my journey. When I was Catholic, I spoke openly about my faith and made people feel terrible. Now, I regret that.

The moral of the story is that we cannot take our personal motivations into account when we do good works. The help is there to help another individual, not for self-gratification.

Cry Havoc
08-25-2009, 10:20 PM
Shut up! How can you be against those two stories he just told?

Just FYI, HS is a troll, and a bad one at that. This is par for the course for him. You'd be better to pretend like he never posted in this thread.

Jacob1983
08-26-2009, 12:31 AM
A big criticism that I have about Christianity is the whole prosperity theology. Joel Osteen and other tv preachers are guilty of that. They preach this bullshit that if you believe in Jesus and God and worship them that you will have a prosperous life. Being a Christian is not going to help you financially. If you read the Bible, you will find that a lot of Christians in the New Testament suffered greatly because of their faith. It gets on my nerves how these tv preachers are telling lies and brainwashing people into believing this crap.

benefactor
08-26-2009, 05:20 AM
it's a sales pitch whether you think it is or not.
Actually, we gave away the pizza and water for free. :toast

Darrin
08-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Actually, we gave away the pizza and water for free. :toast

What do you think motivated you to do that? Was it love of fellow man or were you performing God's service? I realize the answer can be both, but what was your more important motivation for providing the water and pizza?

I lead with my heart. I empathize with others, use my experience, and act where my heart tells me I need to. My philosophy is that we must be in service to one another because where we do not fill needs, often people go without. If we do our part, maybe we can get them through a night, a month, a year with help. We'll look around us for people who need it, complete strangers. We can do our best never to drop the ball and be there for them then we have served a higher purpose.

Each act of help is a celebration of humanity. Mammals are on this planet to nurture--it is what makes us different from all others. It leads to compassion and emulation and learning. Bats will rub each other's bellies when they have too much blood so they will share. Birds must call out to their flock that they have found food or they risk the flock turning on them. This is a part of who we are.

And I do not over-tax myself while doing this. I realize I am one person and I do what I can. I am satisfied with that. I realize people have come before me and have had the same feelings. I use the system as much as I can until I prove that it no longer works. For instace, I am trying to volunteer at a local homeless shelter right now. This will put me around people of faith, but I don't care. I am committed to man.

When I was Catholic, I felt that these acts made me closer to God. I was motivated by sticking it to the devil because he failed to rule a moment of my life. And what the people I helped did with their life was none of my business--it was between God and them.

Because I am hyper-sensitive to potential acts of vanity, I tend to question my motives often. I don't want to do it for a pat on the back. The pat is that I have fulfilled nature's intention and I am a productive member of my society. I have much to pay back and I will use that as motivation until I die. The only way to ruin hunger is to get your hands dirty and make them a meal. The only way to ruin poverty is to make sure that the impoverished have an opportunity to get out of their situation and get a job.

And if we all pitch in, we'll find out what the human race can do.

Part of me is curious why you fed the kids in the park. Part of me wants to prove that there are people who love humanity and humans on this board. And part of me just wanted to express my views in this forum because the tone and tenor of the conversation before this post has been very negative. I have added to that tone, and I'm sorry.

fotan2
08-26-2009, 08:10 PM
i'm an atheist.

spirits will dissapear after their lives. bones are the only thing left, unless they had an enlargement surgery.

The Franchise
08-26-2009, 08:12 PM
Everyday.

Spursfan092120
08-26-2009, 08:17 PM
i'm an atheist.

I believe spirits will dissapear after their lives. I believe bones are the only thing left, unless they had an enlargement surgery.
fify

Blake
08-26-2009, 09:02 PM
A big criticism that I have about Christianity is the whole prosperity theology. Joel Osteen and other tv preachers are guilty of that. They preach this bullshit that if you believe in Jesus and God and worship them that you will have a prosperous life. Being a Christian is not going to help you financially. If you read the Bible, you will find that a lot of Christians in the New Testament suffered greatly because of their faith. It gets on my nerves how these tv preachers are telling lies and brainwashing people into believing this crap.

I dunno....high profile Christian preachers like Olsteen, John Hagee and Max Lucado are living pretty darn prosperous lives...

all own million dollar homes.........lead by example.

WildcardManu
08-27-2009, 12:48 AM
I dunno....high profile Christian preachers like Olsteen, John Hagee and Max Lucado are living pretty darn prosperous lives...

all own million dollar homes.........lead by example.

Fake christians who turn a profit from selling something that is free.

Spursfan092120
08-27-2009, 02:36 AM
Fake christians who turn a profit from selling something that is free.
:tu

Jacob1983
08-27-2009, 02:51 PM
The men mentioned above are only living the good life because of what they do. They swindle and brainwash people for their money.

Extra Stout
08-27-2009, 03:48 PM
I go through periods when God seems as obvious as my hand in front of my face, and periods where I doubt.