PDA

View Full Version : Those Nutty Texas Conservatives...

Nbadan
08-22-2009, 01:51 AM
The same 'conservative' board that brought bible-study back to TX high schools ups the stupid-ante yet again..

The Texas State Board of Education review committee is preparing to vote on a draft of proposed standards for history textbooks. Noting that the draft has “nothing about liberals,” the Houston Chronicle reported:

The first draft for proposed standards in United States History Studies Since Reconstruction says students should be expected “to identify significant conservative advocacy organizations and individuals, such as Newt Gingrich, Phyllis Schlafly and the Moral Majority.” <...> Others have proposed adding talk show host Rush Limbaugh and the National Rifle Association.

The 15-member committee, stacked with 10 Republicans, is expected to vote along party lines. Earlier this year, a panel of right-wing “experts” produced a report urging the committee to remove biographies of George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Stephen F. Austin, and César Chávez, and instead add history about the “motivational role the Bible and the Christian faith played in the settling of the original colonies.

Think Progress (http://thinkprogress.org/2009/08/21/texas-history-gingrich/)

boutons_deux
08-22-2009, 07:46 AM
I read they want shit like Newt Gingrich and Focus on the Family in the American history book.

These "Christian" supremacists are insane, evil sons of bitches.

DarrinS
08-22-2009, 07:52 AM
Maybe they should teach 911 trutherism as an alterative theory, right Dan? Those nutty mofos.

johnsmith
08-22-2009, 08:25 AM
^^^Exactly what I was thinking.

Yeah, these people are indeed insane jackasses........and they are EXACTLY THE SAME AS 9/11 TRUTHERS!

boutons_deux
08-22-2009, 08:30 AM
Typical wrongie defense, the conservatives/Repugs are no worse than everybody else.

There is NO equivalence between conspiracy theories, which have no consequences, and fucking up textbooks with "Christian" supremacist/Repug bullshit-as-history and bullshit-as-science.

George Gervin's Afro
08-22-2009, 09:01 AM
can it get any more embarassing for us texans?

DarrinS
08-22-2009, 09:16 AM

Yes. Google "Sheila Jackson Lee".

TheProfessor
08-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Stop dodging the issue. This is fucking pathetic, and I'd feel the same way if it was all about the wonders of dailykos and James Carville.

DarrinS
08-22-2009, 10:22 AM
Stop dodging the issue. This is fucking pathetic, and I'd feel the same way if it was all about the wonders of dailykos and James Carville.

I don't agree with the premise in the OP. I also don't think this will amount to shit. The education system is not run by conservatives.

doobs
08-22-2009, 11:09 AM
I'm all for removing the bio of Cesar Chavez. Dude is HIGHLY overrated.

The rest of that is garbage, though.

boutons_deux
08-22-2009, 11:39 AM
"I also don't think this will amount to shit"

The "Christian" supremacists are hammering in their wedges.

TX

P U B L I C

schools are now forced to teach about the Bible.

http://www.kltv.com/global/story.asp?S=10933571

... which is fine with me, if they were also forced to teach about the Koran, the Torah, and other major religious texts as historical documents.

The TX "Christian" supremacists would murder, right in the legislature with one of those legal sidearms, any lawmaker who proposed that. Only slightly exagerrating.

We know damn well that many of the low-quality school teachers TX taxpayers "afford" are completely brain-washed by their local "Christian" huckster pastors. Fair and Balanced will be respected.

DMX7
08-22-2009, 12:39 PM
The Express-News and Houston Chron are both conservative publications but they're both starting to call out some of the conservative nutjobs in Texas. The Chron was all over Gov. Perry's "succession" bullshit so good for them.

ChumpDumper
08-22-2009, 01:43 PM
The education system is not run by conservatives.:lol

clambake
08-22-2009, 02:33 PM
it's funny how darrins has no problem with this. lol

SouthernFried
08-22-2009, 02:50 PM
Conservatives, and the conservative movement are a part of our history. Therefore, they should be taught...and that includes Rush Limbaugh, and any religious group involvment. Ignoring them would upset me much more than including them. It's about learning.

Same goes for teaching about the liberals and the leftist movement. Also about the history of christianity in this country. We weren't founded on the Koran after all. It is important knowledge to know, whether you consider it bad or good.

As long as both conservative and leftist principles and histories are included...I see no problem here.

And as for removing biographies of presidents...there are biographies, and there are biographies. I would gather certain biographies are slanted, and this might be a correction to slant them the other way. Dunno. I would very much doubt they are removing the teaching of our presidents.

Of course, the topics will be slanted by the bias of the instructors, as this article and this post are slanted by the bias of the authors...

...but, so is everything else.

SIG

johnsmith
08-22-2009, 03:49 PM

That's what I'm saying. 95% of the time someone does something fucking retarded in America, it's in Texas.

Makes it hard to convince friends out of state that this place isn't all that bad.

Yonivore
08-22-2009, 04:21 PM
That's what I'm saying. 95% of the time someone does something fucking retarded in America, it's in Texas.

Makes it hard to convince friends out of state that this place isn't all that bad.
I would argue with your statistic but, this is a big state with a lot of people. Bound to be some nutters.

SpurNation
08-22-2009, 06:10 PM
Conservatives, and the conservative movement are a part of our history. Therefore, they should be taught...and that includes Rush Limbaugh, and any religious group involvment. Ignoring them would upset me much more than including them. It's about learning.

Same goes for teaching about the liberals and the leftist movement. Also about the history of christianity in this country. We weren't founded on the Koran after all. It is important knowledge to know, whether you consider it bad or good.

As long as both conservative and leftist principles and histories are included...I see no problem here.

And as for removing biographies of presidents...there are biographies, and there are biographies. I would gather certain biographies are slanted, and this might be a correction to slant them the other way. Dunno. I would very much doubt they are removing the teaching of our presidents.

Of course, the topics will be slanted by the bias of the instructors, as this article and this post are slanted by the bias of the authors...

...but, so is everything else.

SIG

:toast

polysylab1k
08-22-2009, 06:56 PM
The history books can never be justified until the government gives editors privileges to touch the nerves of the former presidents and their administrations. Seriously Nixon is a moron even worse that Bush 43, which should be written into the books if they're unbiased. But the truth is no one wants to pull down their pants, even though no one doesn't know what is folded behind.

boutons_deux
08-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Conservative-financed, Repug-exploited hate media has been going on for 20 years. I'm all for talking about it in current affairs, and calling it hate-media, demagoguery, rabble-rousing, but it's too young to forced into history books.

doobs
08-22-2009, 07:33 PM
Conservative-financed, Repug-exploited hate media has been going on for 20 years. I'm all for talking about it in current affairs, and calling it hate-media, demagoguery, rabble-rousing, but it's too young to forced into history books.

Another winning post.

How long does it take you to formulate your winning arguments?

hope4dopes
08-22-2009, 07:47 PM
I'm all for removing the bio of Cesar Chavez. Dude is HIGHLY overrated.

The rest of that is garbage, though.

Oh I don't know...Cesar Chavez was against illegal immigration and even went so far as to offer workers in the UFW offices as volunters to watch the border, He led demonstrations with ralph Abernathy to stop the flow of illegals. Of course that's one of those little over looked details La Raza, and Sotomayor fail to point out.

Marcus Bryant
08-22-2009, 11:21 PM

Exactly. Oh, wait, I'm off the PC script.

ploto
08-23-2009, 02:15 PM
History books in schools already overstate the concept that all these early settlers were about religious freedom. Many wanted to practice their faith but had no tolerance for the faith or beliefs of others.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-23-2009, 02:26 PM
i'd still nail palin

Bender
08-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Texas would vastly improve if you move somewhere else.

George Gervin's Afro
08-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Texas would vastly improve if you move somewhere else.

It'd smell better if you did.