PDA

View Full Version : TOP 5 PF in the league... Duncan still #1

SinBAD
08-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Top 5 Power Forwards

By: Alex Raskin Last Updated: 8/21/09 6:19 AM ET | 11730 times read

Adjust font size:
Around five years ago, in a basketball-coaching seminar at Alfred University (Alfred, NY), students struggled to explain what exactly a power forward did. They had a firm grasp of what a power forward wasn't, but couldn't conjure any words beyond "post" and "rebound" to describe what it was.

It was easy to offer "Chris Webber" or "Karl Malone" as examples, but the class still fumbled through their turbid thoughts to give any concrete definition.

Before you dismiss the students though (and the ridiculous excuse for a course) remember that the NBA doesn't give itself a firm definition either. Most team sites don't specify between "small" and "power" forwards on their roster pages and the biggest distinction seems to be that a power forward is listed in the box score above the center but below the small forward.

In any case, HOOPSWORLD has assembled a list of the game's Top 5 power forwards. But before revealing it, we should discuss who is and who isn't a power forward.

The positions were largely determined by official NBA box scores. Regardless of where you, the reader, would play these guys, all of the following are considered centers for our discussion: Atlanta's Al Horford, Toronto's Andrea Bargnani, Minnesota's Al Jefferson, New Orleans' Emeka Okafor, Boston's Rasheed Wallace, San Antonio's Matt Bonner (which obviously affects Tim Duncan's status), Golden State's Andris Biedrins and Denver's Nenę.

Philadelphia's Thaddeus Young split time between both small and power forward last year. However, with Elton Brand expected to return, that suggests he is going to stay at small forward. Also, Atlanta's Marvin Williams and Josh Smith were interchangeably listed at power and small forward. It appears that Williams was listed at small forward slightly more, so Smith will be considered instead.

That means the pool we're looking at today includes: Boston's Kevin Garnett, New York's David Lee, Philadelphia's Elton Brand, Toronto's Chris Bosh, Cleveland's Anderson Varejao, Indiana's Troy Murphy, Atlanta's Smith, Charlotte's Boris Diaw, Miami's Michael Beasley, Orlando's Rashard Lewis, Washington's Antawn Jamison, Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki, New Orleans' David West, San Antonio's Duncan and Antonio McDyess, Memphis' Zach Randolph, the Clippers' Blake Griffin, the Lakers' Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom, Phoenix's Amar'e Stoudemire, Denver's Kenyon Martin, Minnesota's Kevin Love, Portland's LaMarcus Aldridge, Utah's Carlos Boozer and Paul Millsap and, finally, Oklahoma City's Jeff Green.

Now that that's out of the way…

1. Tim Duncan, San Antonio: There are power forwards from the field that are better offensively than Duncan. There might be one or two that are better at defense. However, nobody combines the two as lethally as the man from St. Croix.

Duncan still blocks nearly two shots per game, but that doesn't come close to quantifying his defensive presence. Even well into his thirties Duncan is a master at denying the shots of both forwards and centers. He still rebounds nearly 20% of missed shots when he's on the floor and his offensive game is as efficient as ever.

A career 50.7% field goal shooter, Duncan's biggest weakness comes at the free throw line where he's shot 68.5% for his career.

And of course, the San Antonio Spurs don't win four titles without Tim Duncan. But don't let that fool you. The two-time MVP isn't on this list because of his past accomplishments. He's the best power forward because of what he can do on the basketball floor TODAY.

2. Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas: A few people may gripe about his defensive shortcomings, but that issue is overblown. Dallas' strategy has always been to keep Nowitzki off of tougher assignments and have him avoid fouls and conserve energy instead.

Even with that asterisk though, Nowitzki is still among the most impactful players in the game. Who else combines elite passing, ball-handling, shooting and rebounding like Nowitzki?

Not one other player on this list can compete with his ball skills or shooting range, but Nowitzki isn't an incomplete power forward. He ranked ninth overall in the NBA last season in terms of Player Efficiency Rating thanks to his 8.4 rebounds per contest.

If Germany produces a long line of tall point-forwards, we'll know who to thank.

3. Kevin Garnett, Celtics: It's tough to gauge his position on this list without first considering the repercussions from his knee injury. He and the Celtics do seem quite pleased at how the joint has responded, but nobody can be certain.

What is certain is Garnett's level of intensity. If his knee lets him step on the court next year, he won't be at half-speed. Garnett only plays at full-tilt which is a major reason he brought Boston its 17th title.

You could refer to Garnett's stats to see why he's on this list (20.2 ppg and 11.1 rpg for his career) but it's a myriad of intangibles that separates Garnett from the rest of the league.

Exhibit A: Boston's defense.

Garnett frequently covers opponents' weakest scorers so that he may focus on help-defense. So, instead of trying to defend every option in the playbook, Boston's guards simply funnel their assignments towards Garnett who then either forces a turnover or denies the shot.

Ray Allen wasn't a great defender before arriving in Boston. But when he's asked to defend someone in only one direction, Allen can conjure images of Michael Cooper,

4. Pau Gasol, Lakers: The post-Shaq era in Los Angeles was starting to look like Kobe Bryant and a whole lot of question marks. Then Pau Gasol arrived.

What Phil Jackson immediately discovered was that it didn't matter if Gasol played power forward or center. The 7-foot Spaniard simply produced.

Never noted for his defense, Gasol transformed himself into an interior obstacle and even developed a mean streak similar to that of Garnett's. Still only 29 (hey, that's young for this list), Gasol shoots over 50% from the field and nearly 80% from the line. He also picks up over three assists per game and is always a threat to put the ball on the floor.

His game has been called "ugly" but that's not something that hurts the credibility of a power forward.

5. Chris Bosh, Toronto: Only the second power forward on this list that was born in the continental United States (and it just figures he would play professionally in Canada), Bosh is an NBA junky's dream.

At 6-10 and only 230 pounds, Bosh can challenge big and small opponents on both ends of the floor with his quickness and cunning. His ball-handling skills aren't as appreciated as they should be and only a few outside Ontario recognize that he's one of the premiere free throw shooters among post players (81.7% from the line last year).

His defense has been questioned, but some of that has to do with Toronto's pace (the Raptors averaged 94.2 possessions per game last year).

Even without elite defense though, Bosh has proven to be among the most calculating forwards in the NBA. The Dallas native has always been a smart player, but GM Bryan Colangelo seems to be molding him into much more of a thinker on the court. His shot selection has visibly improved each season.

Honorable Mentions: David Lee, Rashard Lewis, Lamar Odom, Amar'e Stoudemire, and LaMarcus Aldridge.

The "Honorable Mentions" were even more difficult to choose than the list itself. Elton Brand isn't being punished for his shoulder issue last season. Rather, he is the victim of his PER's downward spiral. From the '05-'06 season, Brand's rating has gone from 26.67 o 14.65. The same can be said for another Blue Devil, Carlos Boozer (from 24.11 to 17.28 over the last three years). Obviously Garnett's PER dropped last year as well, but he doesn't have the same overall trend that Brand and Boozer have. Garnett also provides much better defense.

New York's David Lee had a great stat line last year, but also played 35 mpg for a team void of any interior scoring and rebounding. Had Lee been surrounded by better teammates, his line might not be 16 ppg and 11.7 rpg. However, he does wear-out opponents and that isn't represented in the box score. Lee is a very underrated athlete with energy to spare.

Suspension aside, Rashard Lewis has been worth the big contract Orlando gave him two seasons ago. He's a power forward in name only, but his shooting helps spread the floor to give Dwight Howard room to operate.

Lamar Odom is capable of technical perfection on the basketball court. While he sometimes plays small forward, his best work comes in the post. Odom has footwork that perhaps no other power forward can match. Of course, it's that same finesse that makes him an unusual fit at power forward. Odom's game could benefit from some more assertiveness near the basket.

Amar'e Stoudemire didn't fall from the Top 5 simply because he had eye surgery. Stoudemire's offensive game is nearly flawless, but his defense is inconsistent at best and toxic at worst. He still battles on the boards and is among the most exciting players in the game, but he can still grow.

Finally, LaMarcus Aldridge is right on the cusp of something special. The jump shot, the athleticism, the 7-0 frame—it's almost too much to defend. When he puts it together, he will be a terror.

SinBAD
08-23-2009, 12:17 PM
For those idiotic Dallas fans who say Dirk is better, lets see what real critics think....

duncan228
08-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Hoopsworld link.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=13636

mookie2001
08-23-2009, 01:13 PM
come on 228

youre becoming a parody of yourself

Muser
08-23-2009, 01:49 PM
If Germany produces a long line of tall point-forwards, we'll know who to thank.

Thank Dirk or his Jailbird?

Simple Jack
08-23-2009, 01:54 PM
Tell me why Dirk isnt better now? I belive he made the all nba first team while Duncan didnt. Dirk is better now. I'll take 26 and 9 over 20 and 10 and declining any day

eisfeld
08-23-2009, 02:38 PM
Tell me why Dirk isnt better now? I belive he made the all nba first team while Duncan didnt. Dirk is better now. I'll take 26 and 9 over 20 and 10 and declining any day

Do you really think Dirk would average 26 and 9 on a team like the Spurs? Do you even think Dirk will average the same numbers this year with the addition of Marion? Basketball is not only about the stats, it's about the impact a player has on the court when not filling the stat-sheet. I mean, Zach Randolph is a 20 and 10 player and you don't see him mentioned anywhere near the top 10 PF's.

mookie2001
08-23-2009, 02:39 PM
i'll take a post who plays in the post, over a puss who fades away 20 times a game and is afraid of the paint

TDMVPDPOY
08-23-2009, 02:45 PM
wtf is better than duncan at pf defensively? is he talkn about garnett? the only thing garnett has on tim is versatile to defend any position, but whats the most important defense to a PF is fkn defending down low on the blocks, PFs have no business running around on the perimeter anyway....

DPG21920
08-23-2009, 02:55 PM
Pretty solid list actually. I am glad he put Bosh 5th.

ohmwrecker
08-23-2009, 02:56 PM
This is kind of a "no shit" article.

TDMVPDPOY
08-23-2009, 03:04 PM
Pretty solid list actually. I am glad he put Bosh 5th.

rapul is fkn shit and overrated...tired with the excuses from raptorfans

My Fault
08-23-2009, 03:05 PM
Must not have even read the article and its pretty obvious you have no knowledge of the game if you think scoring and rebounding is all that matters...

TimDunkem
08-23-2009, 03:09 PM
This is kind of a "no shit" article.

Really...How many of these redunant "top 5" lists are we going to see? I know the NBA is quiet right right now, but everyone keeps talking about the same shit.

TD 21
08-23-2009, 05:00 PM
Obviously Duncan is still the class of power forwards. We'll have to see how he bounces back from knee surgery, but I'd still lean towards a healthy Garnett over Nowitzki. It is closer than it was in the past, though. After that, I'd say Gasol edges Bosh and Stoudemire, who are neck and neck for fifth. I think Stoudemire is slightly more talented, but far more flawed. After those six, there's a drop off to West, Boozer, Brand, Aldridge, etc.

It's funny how quickly things change in the NBA today. Going into the '08 playoffs I remember some pundits subtly hinting that they thought Stoudemire had, or was on the verge of surpassing Duncan as the best big man in the game (of course none had the audacity to flat out say it for fear of being proven wrong; which they were). Just 16 months later, he's not even a consensus top five power forward.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Hoopsworld link.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=13636

you beat me to it, i was going to post that link first but you did it first instead

HarlemHeat37
08-23-2009, 06:16 PM
I actually agree with the list..

Duncan pre-injury was pretty clearly better than Dirk..

smrattler
08-23-2009, 10:30 PM
I don't mind if someone wants to rank Dirk #2, but in part because of his elite passing and ball-handling?

I think those are his two biggest weaknesses actually, not strengths.

DPG21920
08-23-2009, 11:02 PM
Dirk is a very solid passer, but his ball handling is just ok. Duncan is a better ball handler, so is Pau. There are a few other bigs ahead of Dirk in that department.

mystargtr34
08-23-2009, 11:22 PM
I think that list is pretty much spot on. Good explanations and reasoning. One could probably argue that Dirk tops the list, given Duncan wasnt healthy for the most part of last season. If he proves hes 100% next season, then I think its still the general consensus that hes the most impactful PF in the league.

Then you could argue a healthy Garnett is as good or better than Dirk when healthy, because of his superior defense, but i think Dirk has been better since about 2005.

I just hate it when writers over emphasise weaknesses in one players game and under sell another players weakness to try and convince people that another player is better - such as Pau being soft or Dirk not playing defense.

But right now, i think thats the correct list.

Nathan Explosion
08-23-2009, 11:31 PM
I think I'm going to go against the grain in saying that while Duncan is #1 Gasol is #2. I've was very impressed with the way he stepped up his game in the playoffs this year and actually developed a bit of toughness down low.

He can shoot, finish at the rim, alter shots, grab rebounds and is a great passer.

tomtom
08-24-2009, 12:08 AM
I think that list is pretty accurate though I'll say I think Pau is just barely above Garnett. I hate the guy but can't deny he's pretty skilled. I have high hopes for Aldridge, his jumpshot is great but he needs to work on his low post game.

Ghazi
08-24-2009, 12:19 AM
Nope Dirk is #1. Duncan has slowed down on the defensive end and while healthy in the playoffs, was subpar, played straight up by Dampier, and his FT shooting cost the Spurs Game 4 and thus, the series. His numbers are still steady and look good, but his impact on the court is diminishing.

31 YO Dirk > 33 YO Duncan

Demo Dick Marcinko
08-24-2009, 12:57 AM
Nope Dirk is #1. Duncan has slowed down on the defensive end and while healthy in the playoffs, was subpar, played straight up by Dampier, and his FT shooting cost the Spurs Game 4 and thus, the series. His numbers are still steady and look good, but his impact on the court is diminishing.

31 YO Dirk > 33 YO Duncan

Selective amnesia. Did you really post that Duncan was healthy in the playoffs? Let me remind that from mid way through the season on, Tim was diagnosed with chronic knee tendinosis. By the end of the season and by the time the playoffs started, Tim at that time was just a caricature of himself. Mark this, that will be the only time that Dampier will play Timmy straight up.

31 yo Dirk > 33 yo Timmy only in an alternate universe called bizarro world. BTW Dirk isn't even in the conversation if he can't even guard someone's grandma. Guys a pud and a wuss. No heart and soft.

Healthy, you Dallas fans must be on drugs.

Ghazi
08-24-2009, 01:08 AM
2006 fuckin champs!

polysylab1k
08-24-2009, 01:12 AM
Selective amnesia. Did you really post that Duncan was healthy in the playoffs? Let me remind that from mid way through the season on, Tim was diagnosed with chronic knee tendinosis. By the end of the season and by the time the playoffs started, Tim at that time was just a caricature of himself. Mark this, that will be the only time that Dampier will play Timmy straight up.

31 yo Dirk > 33 yo Timmy only in an alternate universe called bizarro world. BTW Dirk isn't even in the conversation if he can't even guard someone's grandma. Guys a pud and a wuss. No heart and soft.

Healthy, you Dallas fans must be on drugs.
It's homer comments when someone says Dirk isn't as good as Duncan, just like the bullcrap claims about Manu being superior to Dirk. Even though Duncan used to be a great player and gobbled 4 rings, Dirk is obviously the better player at present in terms of their individually abilities. Maybe the Spurms are still slightly better than the Mavs as a team, but it doesn't need arguement to ensure that Dirk is the better player than Tim Duncan.

angelbelow
08-24-2009, 01:42 AM
Not surprising. It's like saying Kobe is still the best SG.

FkLA
08-24-2009, 02:01 AM
Mavs fans lol

Dirk is a more explosive offensive player no doubt, but Duncan can hold his own in that department as well...meanwhile on defense Duncan is still one of the best shot-blockers and man-to-man defenders. Dirk is, below average in this department to put it nicely. Basketball is is played on two sides of the ball and there's no doubt that Duncan creates a bigger impact overall on the game than Dirk.

DPG21920
08-24-2009, 02:40 AM
Duncan is not that great of a man-to-man defender. He is above average, but not great at all in that department.

eisfeld
08-24-2009, 07:49 AM
2006 fuckin champs!

classic :lmao