PDA

View Full Version : Question for teachers or people with kids

Summers
08-23-2009, 12:18 PM
What should I get our kid's teacher for Christmas?

Yeah, I know it's still a hundred degrees out, but I like to start looking early.

Last year, I bought the kindergarten teacher a cute mug with some nice quote about teachers changing the world, blah blah, something like that. I know it's really cheesy and she probably has 400 cups and tossed it in the trash. I filled it with those little personal antibacterials from Bath and Body Works because she's a germ freak.

So, we met the first grade teacher Thursday night at the open house. He's male and looks to be 16.

What is a good gift to get a teacher? I don't want to get them something they have dozens of from other kids. I don't know what's appropriate.

PM5K
08-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Madden 10 or a razor....

Or what's better than a little Summers when it's cold out?

Summers
08-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Madden 10 or a razor....

Or what's better than a little Summer when it's cold out?

You mean with a little note that says "When you learn to put the razor to use, come by on your lunch hour some time." ?

PM5K
08-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Something like that, except I should have put:

What's better than a little Summers when it's cold out.

Shit happens...

Seriously though, it's four fucking months away... You'll get a better idea of what type of gift would be good for him as the school year progresses.

BlackSwordsMan
08-23-2009, 12:26 PM
anything but a ps3

PM5K
08-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Man if only there were another sixteen year old teacher here, he'd have the perfect gift idea for Doogie.

CharlieMac
08-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Honestly the best gifts I get from parents are gift cards.

Bbut, I do like little desk knick-knacks. Like a magnetic peperclip holder. Maybe a privacy screen for my compur. Thats all I've gotten but they were awesome.

mookie2001
08-23-2009, 01:06 PM
is this only for people with kids? or school aged kids?

or people that had teachers? or people that have given a gift?

Fillmoe
08-23-2009, 01:08 PM
give him some booty

ploto
08-23-2009, 01:49 PM
I usually give male teachers gift cards. If he is into sports, I go to a place like Academy. I also figure he might like a nice dinner out somewhere or I have gone the Starbucks route if I know he likes coffee. A tie works, too, if he wears one, especially if you can find a "teacher" one or one for something in which he is interested. Since he teaches elementary, a cartoon character tie that the kids might like could work, as well.

Fillmoe
08-23-2009, 02:00 PM
a dildo

Bender
08-23-2009, 03:52 PM
people buy presents for their kids' teachers?

when did this happen?

thispego
08-23-2009, 03:53 PM
re: Question for teachers or people with kids

i guess im not qualified to give advice in this thread :depressed

ManuTP9
08-23-2009, 03:59 PM
a cell phone

Wild Cobra
08-23-2009, 11:31 PM
First, ask the school what the policy is. There is usually a value limit on a gift that a government employee can take, and not later get in trouble.

Nbadan
08-23-2009, 11:34 PM
Usually gift cards are nice, especially to good restaurants in the area...

mrsmaalox
08-23-2009, 11:38 PM
I've never given "personal" type gifts to teachers, rather just a small "token". For both male and female I've usually given a holiday ornament, or candle, or some candy. I always think they must get swamped with silly little things, and a holiday item is easy for them to re-gift if they choose to.

Summers
08-24-2009, 08:50 AM
To all the whiny babies who got their feelings hurt by the exclusivity of the title, my apologies. Please feel free to contribute your ideas! :lol

To everyone who had ideas (except the dirty ones), thanks. :lol

I think he said something about Starbucks, so that sounds like a perfect gift card idea.

WC, I know what you mean, but honestly, if there were a $10 limit, I'd still give him more than that.

BacktoBasics
08-24-2009, 08:54 AM
Why do you feel compelled to give your kids teacher a gift?

Summers
08-24-2009, 09:01 AM

So they continue to put up with his shit with a smile on their faces. :)

Summers
08-24-2009, 09:02 AM
Oh, and because it's the nice, neighborly thing to do.

JudynTX
08-24-2009, 09:02 AM
So they continue to put up with his shit with a smile on their faces. :)

So a bribe? :lol

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)

Summers
08-24-2009, 09:03 AM
So a bribe? :lol

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)

Absolutely! :lol

JudynTX
08-24-2009, 09:04 AM
Absolutely! :lol

:lol Then by all means, a gift card.

ploto
08-24-2009, 09:14 AM
I have always given gifts to my child's teachers along with a hand-written note from my child. Even a first grader can copy Thank you and sign his or her name. As he has gotten older, the notes have become better and usually mean much more to the teacher than the gift does.

Summers
08-24-2009, 09:19 AM
I have always given gifts to my child's teachers along with a hand-written note from my child. Even a first grader can copy Thank you and sign his or her name. As he has gotten older, the notes have become better and usually mean much more to the teacher than the gift does.

Yep, I did that last year. I didn't tell him what to write and he wrote something like "You are the best teacher I love you" (because, you know, he was in kindergarten, and knew she was the best :lol... and, oh, yeah, my kid's an excellent writer [/brag])

PM5K
08-24-2009, 09:35 AM
To everyone who had ideas (except the dirty ones), thanks.

Whatever, I just wanted to make you laugh, sue me....

Summers
08-24-2009, 09:39 AM
Whatever, I just wanted to make you laugh, sue me....

And you did. :)

PM5K
08-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Do you also make new neighbors a pie?

Summers
08-24-2009, 02:47 PM
Do you also make new neighbors a pie?

:lol I do occasionally take my neighbors or friends homemade banana bread or cookies. Before we moved I used to take our upstairs neighbors something special (a whole tres leches cake once that took me all day to make) because my children are monsters and I used to feel sorry for the noise they had to wake up to every morning.

PM5K
08-24-2009, 03:12 PM
:lol I do occasionally take my neighbors or friends homemade banana bread or cookies. Before we moved I used to take our upstairs neighbors something special (a whole tres leches cake once that took me all day to make) because my children are monsters and I used to feel sorry for the noise they had to wake up to every morning.

Can I get some banana bread for having to read this shit?

mexicanjunior
08-24-2009, 04:03 PM
I've never heard of giving Christmas gifts to teachers. Do you do the same for your kid's doctor? Dentist? Etc...

Oompa Loompa
08-24-2009, 04:11 PM
http://www.diamond-jim.com/news/pics/wonka-bar.jpg

marini martini
08-24-2009, 04:19 PM
What should I get our kid's teacher for Christmas?

Yeah, I know it's still a hundred degrees out, but I like to start looking early.

Last year, I bought the kindergarten teacher a cute mug with some nice quote about teachers changing the world, blah blah, something like that. I know it's really cheesy and she probably has 400 cups and tossed it in the trash. I filled it with those little personal antibacterials from Bath and Body Works because she's a germ freak.

So, we met the first grade teacher Thursday night at the open house. He's male and looks to be 16.

What is a good gift to get a teacher? I don't want to get them something they have dozens of from other kids. I don't know what's appropriate.

Good God Summers...........................don't by him junk like mugs!!! A young male teacher, make him some cookies or shit. :toast

ploto
08-24-2009, 05:15 PM
I've never heard of giving Christmas gifts to teachers. Do you do the same for your kid's doctor? Dentist? Etc...

I know a physician who gets tons of Christmas gifts and I always wonder why- he has a lot more money than his patients do, and they pay him alot of money to see him.

Summers
08-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Can I get some banana bread for having to read this shit?

Fuck off, wanker. Nobody's making you read it.

I know a physician who gets tons of Christmas gifts and I always wonder why- he has a lot more money than his patients do, and they pay him alot of money to see him.

I send Christmas cards to the pediatricians. (shrug)

PM5K
08-24-2009, 06:44 PM
I send Christmas cards to the pediatricians. (shrug)

Could you be a bigger ass kisser?

manufan10
08-24-2009, 07:12 PM
:lol

I once got a mini Christmas tree; it's been one of the best gifts. Or the big ole tub of popcorn! :toast

Summers
08-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Could you be a bigger ass kisser?

I don't get why you think it's weird to send someone you know a Christmas card. The doctors in this practice will meet us on the weekend if it's urgent and can always see a sick kid same day. Isn't it common courtesy to let people know they're appreciated? Does that rule not apply if they're richer than me?

Destro
08-24-2009, 07:59 PM

You tip a fucking waiter for a bringing you food or a bartender for pouring a beer but you won't tip a teacher that works with your child for 9 months??? Teachers make crap for what they deserve and a little holiday tip is well deserved. You don't have to , but on the human level level, acknowledging them as a person with a small gift card is the appropriate thing to do.

angel_luv
08-25-2009, 12:29 PM
Giftcard- a visa or mastercard one so that can use it wherever they want. A lot of people come to my booth at work to buy gift cards for their kids' teachers.