PDA

View Full Version : Next up: Cash for refrigerators...

Twisted_Dawg
08-24-2009, 09:48 AM
...and washing machines and dishwashers and....

The party continues!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/bw/20090824/bs_bw/aug2009db20090821304909

A $300 million cash-for-clunkers-type federal program to boost sales of energy-efficient home appliances provides a glimmer of hope for beleaguered makers of washing machines and dishwashers, but it's probably not enough to lift companies such as Whirlpool (NYSE:WHR - News) and Electrolux out of the worst down cycle in the sector's history.

Beginning late this fall, the program authorizes rebates of $50 to $200 for purchases of high-efficiency household appliances. The money is part of the broader economic stimulus bill passed earlier this year. Program details will vary by state, and the Energy Dept. has set a deadline of Oct. 15 for states to file formal applications. The Energy Dept. expects the bulk of the $300 million to be awarded by the end of November. (Unlike the clunkers auto program, consumers won't have to trade in their old appliances.)

"These rebates will help families make the transition to more efficient appliances, making purchases that will directly stimulate the economy," Energy Secretary Steven Chu said in a statement announcing the plan. Only appliances covered by the Energy Star seal will qualify. In 2008, about 55% of newly produced major household appliances met those standards, which are set by the Energy Dept. and Environmental Protection Agency.

The money can't come soon enough for the home appliance industry, which is mired in an unprecedented sales slump that began when the housing market cooled in 2006. Since then that slump has worsened considerably. Shipments of washers, dryers, refrigerators, and ovens dropped 10% in 2008 and are down 15% through July, according to the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers. "It's brutal," says Raymond James (NYSE:RJF - News) analyst Sam Darkatsh.

boutons_deux
08-24-2009, 10:09 AM
dammit, I just replaced an ancient hot water heater that was leaking, and full of calcium rocks.

When I went to Sears at San Pedro/410, the place was scary deserted.

Bender
08-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Funds For Fridges?

Bender
08-24-2009, 10:12 AM
I'm surprised Sears is still in business.

CubanMustGo
08-24-2009, 10:24 AM
I'm surprised Sears is still in business.

They're probably still getting a fortune for those service contracts they've sold for decades, not to mention that if you make the mistake of calling them out to actually do service they charge an arm, a leg, and your firstborn.

SonOfAGun
08-24-2009, 10:26 AM
They may take my life, but they will nevaaarr take my mini-fridge!!!

ashbeeigh
08-24-2009, 10:32 AM
new car...check....new house...check....new washer and dryer...check....getting my student loans discharged in ten years for working in a non-profit...check. This year couldn't get any better!

CubanMustGo
08-24-2009, 10:54 AM
new car...check....new house...check....new washer and dryer...check....getting my student loans discharged in ten years for working in a non-profit...check. This year couldn't get any better!

Paying 50% marginal tax rate in five years to start paying for all the giveaways ... check

ashbeeigh
08-24-2009, 12:12 PM
Paying 50% marginal tax rate in five years to start paying for all the giveaways ... check

:lol The only one i actually did was the student loan one.

ducks
08-24-2009, 01:33 PM
dammit, I just replaced an ancient hot water heater that was leaking, and full of calcium rocks.

yes the big goverment should pay for it
ofcourse you are upset you expect the gov todo everything for you

cherylsteele
08-25-2009, 01:57 AM
I wonder if my apartment complex will take advantage of this offer?

EricB
08-25-2009, 03:34 AM
Goody, my tax dollars used for such useful applications.

Heaven forbid it go to things like managing roads or other things...

EricB
08-25-2009, 03:34 AM
Goody, my tax dollars used for such useful applications.

gatoloco
08-25-2009, 06:28 AM
Goody, EricB's tax dollars used for such useful applications!

SAGambler
08-28-2009, 08:32 AM
Wait until the Messiah hits you for taxes on all your savings.
Already announced that people that took advantage of "Cash for Clunkers" will now be taxed on the 35 or 45 hundred trade in they received. Sort of forgot to mention that until 700,000 traded their vehicles in.

08-28-2009, 08:54 AM

Or a pointless war.