PDA

View Full Version : How about malik hairston startin´????

5´8 308lbs
08-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Hi
I was thinking about Bowen´s departure and how most teams arrange their starting line-ups , would it be a good idea to start Hairston at the 2 spot and use him like Orlando used C. Lee and Denver used D.Jones???
I think that it would give the team a strong perimeter presence from the start of games and would make Richard Jefferson enough rest to play help deffense and another 48min. offensive option. I really think that the best way to make hairston shine with us is givin´him a chance to defend and attack the league´s best perimeter players from the beggining of the season. I think that R Mason is a specialty player and we will make the better of him in short periods.

PG - Tony Parker
SG - Malik Hairston
SF - Richard Jefferson
PF - Tim Duncan
C - Antonio Mc D... Don´t really know how to spell it :lol
Subs

PG - G. Hill
SG - Manu/Mason
SF - M. Finley/Haislip
PF - D. Blair
C - Bonner/ Ratliff

:king

jag
08-24-2009, 11:24 AM
You're a rather portly fellow aren't you?

oh, and No.

angelbelow
08-24-2009, 01:24 PM
Nah, he doesn't have the experience yet. He likely won't have the confidence yet either, which is okay. Maybe somewhere down the line he could potentially start as a defensive guy that can hit the open J but it won't be at the beginning of the season.

cheguevara
08-24-2009, 01:27 PM
TPark changed his login name again?

ducks
08-24-2009, 01:29 PM
how about lets see him in preason games before saying he is starter

jgome21
08-24-2009, 01:30 PM
mason's better, its his contract yr this yr so expect him to put up better numbers than last season

DJB
08-24-2009, 01:31 PM
How about fuck no? I don't see what all the hype about Malik Hairston is on this board... that guy's a D-leaguer and nothing else.

SpurNation
08-24-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm not sure where that logic comes in to play regarding the Spurs.

Hairston hasn't proven to even be a legitiment bench player much less starter.

barbacoataco
08-24-2009, 01:52 PM
I think with Mason being in a contract year, and having one year under his belt, he will be effective in the starting SG spot. Jefferson can penetrate and draw fouls, so Mason won't be called on to do that.

As far as Hairston goes, he has potential but he will have to prove that his jumper is half way consistent.

cheguevara
08-24-2009, 01:55 PM
Jefferson can penetrate

:wow

let's be careful before throwing that word around

ceperez
08-24-2009, 01:58 PM
My take on Hairston:

Can take it strong to the hoop, has good leaping ability and has a decent long range shot.

His problem:

Too short (6'4"), can't dribble and can't pass.

DPG21920
08-24-2009, 02:01 PM
That is not true ^^^^

If you watched him play in the D-League, he can dribble and pass quite well. He is not a point guard, but he can distribute pretty effectively.

HarlemHeat37
08-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Hairston is already a legitimate bench player, he held his own against bench players in his limited NBA time last year, and even held his own against some starters..he had 5 games where he played 20 minutes or more..

In the game vs. Denver, he outplayed JR Smith, Linas Kleiza, and Dahntay Jones when he was on the floor with them..he went 6-8 for 12 points that game..

In the game vs. Cleveland, he held his own against Lebron for 3 straight possessions until Pop subbed him off..he severely outplayed Wally Sczerbiak, which is who he was covering, and also Daniel Gibson for a few possessions..

Against Washington he went 4-5 in 4th quarter, and wasn't outplayed by anybody..

Against the Clippers, he went 4-7 with minutes throughout the game..he was also matched up with Al Thornton for most of his playing time, and he did a great job on him all game..Thornton went 0-3 against Hairston during his first stint at the end of the 1st, and continued to struggle when Malik guarded him at the end of the 2nd, mid 3rd, and end of the 4th..

Against Portland he didn't shoot well, but he was very good defensively..took Outlaw out at the end of the 2nd, and did a great job on Rudy at the end of the 3rd..

He just needs experience, which leads to confidence(which he didn't lack in his NBA time last year anyways)..

He obviously won't be starting, and there's no reason that he should anyways..I'd honestly be surprised if he isn't a rotation bench player by the end of November though..Pop already showed confidence in him by surprisingly giving him time last year, and he's clearly improved significantly from last year's SL to the end of this year's SL..he's gotten better in every aspect that he needed to..he was also called up multiple times, and he finally got a contract..he's clearly getting some love in the organization right now, and there's the recognition that we need to get younger..

he was a "big man" in college, and he's still converting his game..he clearly has talent, and he's already shown he can be a legit bench player..his physical tools alone make him a good bench player in a league that heavily rewards attributes of that type..

he's athletic, a good rebounder for his position, a good defender for his position, tough and fearless, and his shot looked much improved in Summer League(even though it was overplayed anyways)..

he needs to work on his passing and dribbling, but guess what?..so do most swingmen that play the same style as him..he's going to be a defense-first swingmen, obviously not a scorer..that's what we need anyways, a slasher to play off our 4 stars..

ulosturedge
08-24-2009, 02:38 PM
How about no. lol

No need to rush the guy. He will be used where the opportunities present themselves where his strengths will better impact the course of the game. If his confidence is high and he can be that tenacious defender we like to see well then i'd hope Pop would give him more minutes.

And on another note if he happened to show incredible upside then i would hope Pop wouldn't be scared to experiment early on in the season and maybe even start him for a game or two at some point. But you are really reaching and it's way too far off to tell how good he will be or can be.

spurs50_
08-24-2009, 02:42 PM
Gosh, I hope Malik isn't 6'4".

DPG21920
08-24-2009, 02:51 PM
He is not that big, but he plays much bigger.

Spur|n|Austin
08-24-2009, 02:59 PM
Since when has adding four ? marks to a question become so common.

Bartleby
08-24-2009, 03:03 PM

At least there is a "?" at the end of the question.

DPG21920
08-24-2009, 03:06 PM
lol classic ^

dbestpro
08-24-2009, 03:09 PM
I'd rather see Ian start, at least on the road. That way the refs have someone to through all of the phantom fouls on instead of Timmy or McD. Just give him the first 2 minutes and then set him the rest of the game.

dbestpro
08-24-2009, 03:22 PM
In fact I believe Marcus Williams will get more PT than Hairston this year.

NBDL stats are off the chart 23 ppg, 7 rpg, 5.3 apg
Hairston 22.9 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 3.7 apg

Both can score but Williams gives you the height and ball control to play all 3 perimeter positions.

Grundle
08-24-2009, 03:23 PM

Since when did ending a question with a "." become so common?

Back on topic though, I think this is a very bad idea. Not enough experience. In fact, I'm not convinced the guys is NBA quality. I hope he is, but I think I need a full year to judge.

Spursfan092120
08-24-2009, 03:26 PM
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r314/250_Essex/Misc/forehead-slap.jpg

timaios
08-24-2009, 04:14 PM
His problem:

Too short (6'4"), can't dribble and can't pass.

Malik Hairston is 6'6".

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/malik_hairston/index.html

ivanfromwestwood
08-24-2009, 04:30 PM
i wouldnt mind pop starting him in the preseason just to get him good minutes and to try different rotations but not during the reular season. lets not forget last year we pleyed G HILL and MASON as starters and niether one knew the system unlike HAIRSTON. both G HILL and MASON were good role players last season due to the early playing time. also im sure his confidence is already up there considering how much time and money the spurs have put into him since the day he was drafted.

bigfan
08-24-2009, 04:46 PM
I doubt he makes the team myself.

Darkwaters
08-24-2009, 05:17 PM
In fact I believe Marcus Williams will get more PT than Hairston this year.

NBDL stats are off the chart 23 ppg, 7 rpg, 5.3 apg
Hairston 22.9 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 3.7 apg

Both can score but Williams gives you the height and ball control to play all 3 perimeter positions.

Williams lacks quickness in every sense of the word and has had range issues in the past. He can beat up in the D-League but his record in the big league is pretty sub-par.

As far as Hairston goes:
Hes clearly not ready to start. Thats just asinine. But I wouldn't mind seeing him getting about 8-10 mins a game to see how he does. With Jefferson eating up probably 35 mins, Ginobili about 28, Mason 20+ and Hill stealing minutes at the 2 as well (and thats to say nothing of Finley or even Haislip maybe playing some 3) it'll be hard to get him more without an injury. But I get a good vibe on him. We'll just have to see.

ohmwrecker
08-24-2009, 07:20 PM
The idiocy 'round here never ceases to amaze me. You've got Hairston starting now? Haislip guarding Odom in the WCF? Has Marcus Williams even been signed yet? We should trade Duncan to make room for James Gist!

Here's the Spurtalk All-time dumbass starting 5:

PG-George Hill (He's ready . . . trade Tony)
SG-Malik Hairston (He's an average player on a D-League team, but he looks like a quick learner)
SF-James Gist (Oh, if only he could play every position on the floor! He's so awesome.)
PF-Marcus Haislip (He's like Lebron V2.0!)
C-Tiago Javtokas (or some other injury prone, flimsy foreigner no one knows shit about)

Championship #5, here we come!

exstatic
08-24-2009, 07:38 PM
We really need that 100 post rule.

slick'81
08-24-2009, 08:18 PM
sure and why were at it why not bench tp for hill and start ian :nope

ceperez
08-24-2009, 08:53 PM
Malik Hairston is 6'6".

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/malik_hairston/index.html

Malik is 6' 4.25"

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Malik-Hairston-214/

George Hill is 6' 1.25"

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/George-Hill-5067/

and listed at 6' 2" on NBA.com http://www.nba.com/playerfile/george_hill/index.html

ceperez
08-24-2009, 08:55 PM
Williams lacks quickness in every sense of the word and has had range issues in the past. He can beat up in the D-League but his record in the big league is pretty sub-par.

Did you see his stats for the last 3 games in the D-league???!

Darkwaters
08-24-2009, 11:50 PM
The idiocy 'round here never ceases to amaze me. You've got Hairston starting now? Haislip guarding Odom in the WCF? Has Marcus Williams even been signed yet? We should trade Duncan to make room for James Gist!

Here's the Spurtalk All-time dumbass starting 5:

PG-George Hill (He's ready . . . trade Tony)
SG-Malik Hairston (He's an average player on a D-League team, but he looks like a quick learner)
SF-James Gist (Oh, if only he could play every position on the floor! He's so awesome.)
PF-Marcus Haislip (He's like Lebron V2.0!)
C-Tiago Javtokas (or some other injury prone, flimsy foreigner no one knows shit about)

Championship #5, here we come!

You clearly missed the whole James White! phase that this board went through.

Mr. Body
08-24-2009, 11:58 PM
Summer sux for basketball.

Ditty
08-25-2009, 12:37 AM
i really like hairston and hes going to be a good player hes just a year or 2 to be nba ready but when hes ready he'll be a force and probably a coming up defensive stopper

ohmwrecker
08-25-2009, 10:08 AM
You clearly missed the whole James White! phase that this board went through.

No, I remember that, but he is in Houston (He is still in Houston, right?) and they have all of our best players.