PDA

View Full Version : Hey Camera guys. I know I hate these threads too.

BacktoBasics
08-24-2009, 02:39 PM
So anyway I'm going to get the wife a camera. Yeah thats right I'm actually going to do something nice for someone. My budget is 600-700. I'm thinking this is a good deal.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/532254-REG/Nikon_9420_D40_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

this place seems to be quite a bit cheaper than Best Buy. I figured a good camera was in order. She takes about 500 pictures a month.

If you got any better ideas let me know...and let me know why. I don't know shit about Cameras.

BacktoBasics
08-24-2009, 02:42 PM
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/542180-REG/Canon_2756B003_EOS_Rebel_XSi_a_k_a_.html

This looks decent too

boutons_deux
08-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Abe's of Maine has some of the best prices.

paparazzi
08-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Those are both good cameras. :tu

PM5K
08-24-2009, 02:45 PM
500 pics a month, what the fuck? Is she an amateur photographer? If so she might have a better idea of what she'd like than you do.

Shit I forgot you don't live in SA do you?

I was going to point you to a guy on Craigslist selling a D40 for 375.00

paparazzi
08-24-2009, 02:48 PM
This could help you too if you know something about what type of pictures she likes to take.

http://www.digital-slr-guide.com/best-digital-slr-camera.html

jman3000
08-24-2009, 02:53 PM
From the front page, I thought it read "I'm going to get the wife ON camera".

Let down. Boo.

BacktoBasics
08-24-2009, 02:55 PM
500 pics a month, what the fuck? Is she an amateur photographer? If so she might have a better idea of what she'd like than you do.

Shit I forgot you don't live in SA do you?

I was going to point you to a guy on Craigslist selling a D40 for 375.00
She doesn't know anything about cameras. She just likes to take a lot of pictures. Kids and stuff.

Chingo Bling
08-24-2009, 02:55 PM
I found some
http://images.teamsugar.com/files/users/1/15111/10_2007/360%20degree%20camera.jpg

http://www.funny-potato.com/images/camera/smallest-camera.jpg

or just a really cool camera phone
http://images.paraorkut.com/img/funnypics/images/c/camera_phone-13209.bmp

BacktoBasics
08-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Abe's of Maine has some of the best prices.Have you ever ordered from there? They always seemed like some kind of cheesy hairy chested dudes selling out of the trunk of cars.

PM5K
08-24-2009, 03:06 PM
Eh, I don't know that I'd buy her something so complicated if she doesn't know anything about taking pictures. Sure these all have automatic modes, but the whole point is for someone that wants to learn and be able to take advantage of the manual modes, and if she doesn't even have a camera in her head that she wants, she probably wouldn't be interested in a digital SLR.

Does she have a digital photo frame? Or since she takes a lot of pictures, more batteries and memory cards.

PayPal me 475.00 and I'll send you a D40 ;-)

DPG21920
08-24-2009, 03:07 PM
Whatever you do, do not tell the salesman you are going to pay in cash. Negotiate the best deal first, then at the end drop the cash payment on them.

PM5K
08-24-2009, 03:11 PM
whatever you do, do not tell the salesman you are going to pay in cash. Negotiate the best deal first, then at the end drop the cash payment on them.

rotflmao.....

clambake
08-24-2009, 03:12 PM
buy her a flip video camera.

BacktoBasics
08-24-2009, 03:13 PM
Abe's of Maine has some of the best prices.
http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item=NKD402LK1 not bad for 70 bucks more than B&H. Bag and bigger card.

BacktoBasics
08-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Eh, I don't know that I'd buy her something so complicated if she doesn't know anything about taking pictures. Sure these all have automatic modes, but the whole point is for someone that wants to learn and be able to take advantage of the manual modes, and if she doesn't even have a camera in her head that she wants, she probably wouldn't be interested in a digital SLR.

Does she have a digital photo frame? Or since she takes a lot of pictures, more batteries and memory cards.

PayPal me 475.00 and I'll send you a D40 ;-)She'll figure it out. I'm not worried about it being out of her league.

I'll probably buy new not used.

PM5K
08-24-2009, 03:17 PM
She'll figure it out. I'm not worried about it being out of her league.

I'll probably buy new not used.

It's just not worth it man I'm telling you. If she wanted this type of camera she'd be the one asking for a D40.

I have a much less complicated camera and I hardly ever use any of the manual controls. You're also trading off MP's for the ability to use manual controls that she'll never use, you'd be better off spending a lot less and getting a higher mega pixel camera. Also, it's a lot bigger and she'll want to take it with her a lot less than something that can fit in her back pocket.

I guess used doesn't matter since you don't live in San Antonio.

EDIT: You live in Corpus right? I'd consider Wolf Camera. I'd consider them more if they had a store in Corpus but it's still better to get it from a reputable place like Wolf even if you have to get it online.

clambake
08-24-2009, 03:22 PM
It's just not worth it man I'm telling you. If she wanted this type of camera she'd be the one asking for a D40.

I have a much less complicated camera and I hardly ever use any of the manual controls. You're also trading off MP's for the ability to use manual controls that she'll never use, you'd be better off spending a lot less and getting a higher mega pixel camera.

Also, if you do get it I'd go with WolfCamera, especially if you have one locally.

i think what he's saying is that his wife is quite capable of using a high-end camera....or anything else she puts her mind to.

BacktoBasics
08-24-2009, 03:23 PM

I have a much less complicated camera and I hardly ever use any of the manual controls. You're also trading off MP's for the ability to use manual controls that she'll never use, you'd be better off spending a lot less and getting a higher mega pixel camera.

Also, if you do get it I'd go with WolfCamera, especially if you have one locally.She's been asking for a nice SLR camera for nearly two years she's just not one to seek out high tech shit and drop the coin. I am. I personally would like something nicer than a typical pocket camera. It'll be for her but I'll get some use out of it too. She'll have no problem figuring it out and demanding new and expensive lenses. She just needs to get jump started.

No Wolf camera here. I remember them being pricey. Good service but pricey.

PM5K
08-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Here is what they have at Wolf:

449.00:

- Nikon D40 DSLR Camera Body
- 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor lens
- EN-EL9 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery
- MH-23 Quick Charger
- UC-E4 USB Cable
- PictureProject
- DK-16 Rubber Eyecup
- Camera Strap
- BF-1A Body Cap
- LC-52 Snap-on Front Lens Cap
- DK-5 Eyepiece Cap
- BS-1 Accessory Shoe Cap.

549.00:

- MH-23 Quick Charger
- UC-E4 USB Cable
- PictureProject
- DK-16 Rubber Eyecup
- Camera Strap
- BF-1A Body Cap
- DK-5 Eyepiece Cap
- AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED
- LF-1 Rear Lens Cap
- HB-34 Lens Hood
- CL-0815 Soft Lens Case
- Nikon School Presents: Understanding Digital Photography- Release Your Digital SLR's Potential (DVD)
- Nikon School Presents: Fast, Fun and Easy Great Digital Pictures (DVD)

Nikon D40 DSLR Camera Body
- MH-23 Quick Charger
- UC-E4 USB Cable
- PictureProject
- DK-16 Rubber Eyecup
- Camera Strap
- BF-1A Body Cap
- DK-5 Eyepiece Cap
- Nikon 55-200 mm F/4 5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor Lens w/ Vibration Reduction
- LC-52 52mm snap-on front lens cap, LF-1 rear lens cap, HB-37 bayonet hood, CL-0918 flexible lens pouch.
- Nikon School Presents: Understanding Digital Photography- Release Your Digital SLR's Potential (DVD)

PM5K
08-24-2009, 03:26 PM
She's been asking for a nice SLR camera for nearly two years she's just not one to seek out high tech shit and drop the coin. I am. I personally would like something nicer than a typical pocket camera. It'll be for her but I'll get some use out of it too. She'll have no problem figuring it out and demanding new and expensive lenses. She just needs to get jump started.

No Wolf camera here. I remember them being pricey. Good service but pricey.

Well when you add that info it makes more sense.

BacktoBasics
08-24-2009, 03:31 PM
Here is what they have at Wolf:

449.00:

- MH-23 Quick Charger
- UC-E4 USB Cable
- PictureProject
- DK-16 Rubber Eyecup
- Camera Strap
- BF-1A Body Cap
- DK-5 Eyepiece Cap

549.00:

- MH-23 Quick Charger
- UC-E4 USB Cable
- PictureProject
- DK-16 Rubber Eyecup
- Camera Strap
- BF-1A Body Cap
- DK-5 Eyepiece Cap
- AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED
- LF-1 Rear Lens Cap
- HB-34 Lens Hood
- CL-0815 Soft Lens Case

Nikon D40 DSLR Camera Body
- MH-23 Quick Charger
- UC-E4 USB Cable
- PictureProject
- DK-16 Rubber Eyecup
- Camera Strap
- BF-1A Body Cap
- DK-5 Eyepiece Cap
- Nikon 55-200 mm F/4 5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor Lens w/ Vibration Reduction
- LC-52 52mm snap-on front lens cap, LF-1 rear lens cap, HB-37 bayonet hood, CL-0918 flexible lens pouch.

That doesn't seem out of whack. Where are they located. I'd rather drive to SA than have something shipped.

So what kind of lens do I need to take those super awesome unbelievably upclose shots of bugs and shit?

BacktoBasics
08-24-2009, 03:32 PM
Damn I would have to pay tax though.

PM5K
08-24-2009, 03:33 PM
They have a few locations in San Antonio, I'd be sure to call them and make sure they have what you want in stock.

Just stand fucking close to the bug. You mean what lens do you need to take pics of your kid playing soccer while you sit on the bleachers, you'd need the zoom lens (55-200 mm) which would be either the second or third option.

EDIT: Yeah for whatever reason (as far as I know) they don't charge tax online but do charge tax in-store.

Chingo Bling
08-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Yust find a guy with a bigger pinga than jours and it will make her happier. What day is it on? I might be abailable.

PM5K
08-24-2009, 03:42 PM
That Abes Of Main is probably the better deal, just make sure they are legit, have good reviews, and you use a credit card.

Although the cheap tripod they include, and third party battery don't make it that much of a better deal to me, at least they include a memory card. I'd probably go with the 549.00 Wolf deal and buy whatever else I want with the remaining cash, but that's just me. (Actually I'd probably buy the one for 375.00 on Craigslist but I'm cheap like that)

Bender
08-24-2009, 03:47 PM
a while back I was all hot for a new digital slr, so I bought this at B&H for $900+

Rebel XSi (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/598190-REG/Canon__EOS_Rebel_XSi_a_k_a_.html)

Just took a few pics with it, and since then it's been just sitting in a drawer unused...

I buy things on spur of the moment decisions, then a couple weeks later I'm all interested in a completely different hobby...

BacktoBasics
08-24-2009, 03:57 PM
a while back I was all hot for a new digital slr, so I bought this at B&H for $900+

Rebel XSi (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/598190-REG/Canon__EOS_Rebel_XSi_a_k_a_.html)

Just took a few pics with it, and since then it's been just sitting in a drawer unused...

I buy things on spur of the moment decisions, then a couple weeks later I'm all interested in a completely different hobby...I'll take it off your hands for 200.

Bender
08-24-2009, 04:03 PM
:lol thanks, but no...

I bet I'll be all interested in digital photography again sometime...

Wild Cobra
08-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Well, definately shop around. The D40 is only 6 megapixil and has a MSRP of $449.99. The added lens has a MSRP of $170, total, $620. $599.90 is not a good deal for mail order. You can probably walk into a camera shop and pay $500. Buy from a local camera shop, and even if you pay full MSRP, you have service available. I've had a "Best Buy" horror story, and heard several others. I suggest never buying any electronics from them you may want or need to return. They make it almost impossible.

I didn't check the second camera.

Personally, I haven't bought an expensive digital yet. I'm waiting for the price to come down on the 12 mexapixil+. Until then, I'll stick with my cheap 8 megapixil Pentex Optio, and my 80's vintage Minolta X-700 35mm film camera.

CuckingFunt
08-24-2009, 04:24 PM
So anyway I'm going to get the wife a camera. Yeah thats right I'm actually going to do something nice for someone. My budget is 600-700. I'm thinking this is a good deal.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/532254-REG/Nikon_9420_D40_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

this place seems to be quite a bit cheaper than Best Buy. I figured a good camera was in order. She takes about 500 pictures a month.

If you got any better ideas let me know...and let me know why. I don't know shit about Cameras.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/542180-REG/Canon_2756B003_EOS_Rebel_XSi_a_k_a_.html

This looks decent too

I hate digital in general, but these are both nice cameras. I have a slight bias toward the Canon because my 35mm SLR is a Canon and I'm used to it, but it's hard to go wrong with either of them.

Depending on her interests and use, you might want to make the decision by pricing accessories that she may one day want to pick up. Get lens sizes and start looking at lens, flash, cable release options, etc. A lot of that may be standard to both cameras, especially external flashes, but I know for a fact that Canon and Nikon use different lenses.

CuckingFunt
08-24-2009, 04:29 PM

I have a much less complicated camera and I hardly ever use any of the manual controls. You're also trading off MP's for the ability to use manual controls that she'll never use, you'd be better off spending a lot less and getting a higher mega pixel camera. Also, it's a lot bigger and she'll want to take it with her a lot less than something that can fit in her back pocket.

This is true. My aunt bought the Nikon because it was pretty and someone told her it was a good camera, but she's got no clue how (nor inclination to learn how) to use all the features and there's really no reason for her to own something so big and complicated.

Having an SLR camera makes a big difference when you're shooting with film because you get more accurate framing options than a camera with a viewfinder, but with digital there's really no advantage to having an SLR other than the extra features and manual options. The SLR mechanism doesn't have any impact on framing or image quality when shooting digital.

CuckingFunt
08-24-2009, 04:31 PM
So what kind of lens do I need to take those super awesome unbelievably upclose shots of bugs and shit?

Telephoto (200mm or higher, preferably) with a macro option.

BacktoBasics
08-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Telephoto (200mm or higher, preferably) with a macro option.yeah I just learned that macro is code for expensive. Those types of shots are fucking awesome though.

Wild Cobra
08-24-2009, 04:52 PM
yeah I just learned that macro is code for expensive. Those types of shots are fucking awesome though.
Macro isn't much of a cost add on, if any.

BacktoBasics
08-24-2009, 04:59 PM
Macro isn't much of a cost add on, if any.I think I found the winner for 821.

http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item=CNEOSRDXSIBK1

Item #: CNEOSRDXSIBK1
Manufacturer Part #:

Canon EOS Rebel XSI Black Digital Camera w/ 18-55mm IS Lens & Sigma 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DG AF Lens

Items included in the kit:
EOS Rebel XSI Digital Camera w/ 18-55mm IS Lens Kit - Black (QTY 1)
Deluxe 3 Piece Lens and Camera Cleaning Kit (QTY 1)
Ultra High Speed Secure Digital Card Reader (QTY 1)
58-mm Multi-Coated UV Filter (QTY 2)
70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro AF Lens for Canon (QTY 1)
LP-E5 Extended Life Lithium Ion Battery for Rebel XSi/ XS (QTY 1)
8GB HC Secure Digital Memory Card (QTY 1)
CR325 SLR Digital Camera & Camcorder Bag (QTY 1)

CuckingFunt
08-24-2009, 05:00 PM
yeah I just learned that macro is code for expensive.

Not really. It just so happens that macro is often a feature of lenses that would already be expensive.

PM5K
08-24-2009, 05:02 PM
This is true.

Thanks.

You really should only buy a camera like that if you plan to learn photography, which takes time and effort, otherwise you'd be better off with a Coolpix S640 which is less than an inch thick and shoots 12 MP images, or at the most a P90 which is a zoom camera.

EDIT: As long as I can say I told you so in a month WGAF.....

Slomo
08-24-2009, 05:20 PM
Having an SLR camera makes a big difference when you're shooting with film because you get more accurate framing options than a camera with a viewfinder, but with digital there's really no advantage to having an SLR other than the extra features and manual options. The SLR mechanism doesn't have any impact on framing or image quality when shooting digital.

I disagree. The compact digital photo camera has closed the gap to the SLRs somewhat mainly because of software improvement (something that wasn't really available to 35mm compacts). But when you speak about framing, speed, depth of field - in short all the things that make the difference between a good and a great picture, you need an SLR (whether digital or film).

Telephoto (200mm or higher, preferably) with a macro option.

100mm macro or even 70mm macro. 200mm macro with a decent f number are rare and crazy expensive. 100mm macro are often 1:1 lenses which is the best feature for macro photography.

When buying lenses I like starting with a reasonably priced "universal" lens (28-75mm, 28-150mm with an f number around 3,5) these are cheap and a good learning lenses. When you figure out what type of photography you like you then invest in good lenses with decent (low) f numbers. Bare in mind that a good lens will survive many camera bodies (also cost more) so when buying a camera you have to go with a brand that will keep it's standards for many future generations.
So far only Nikon has never changed it's bayonet mount, and Canon has only done it once (with the move to autofocus). These are the two brands that also offer the easiest path from amateur to serious to pro, if you want to go that way. There's a couple of other brands I like and respect, but there are personal preferences so not something for a thread like this.

CuckingFunt
08-24-2009, 09:04 PM
I disagree. The compact digital photo camera has closed the gap to the SLRs somewhat mainly because of software improvement (something that wasn't really available to 35mm compacts). But when you speak about framing, speed, depth of field - in short all the things that make the difference between a good and a great picture, you need an SLR (whether digital or film).

Speed and depth of field probably does make a difference, but I didn't even think of that. My anti-digital bias is strong enough that I've come to take it for granted that those are both impossible when not shooting with film.

200mm macro with a decent f number are rare and crazy expensive.

I have a 70-300mm macro zoom lens, f4-22, that I got brand new a few years ago for $80. It's my baby. It would fit the Canon body.

jaffies
08-24-2009, 09:39 PM
I think I found the winner for 821.

http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item=CNEOSRDXSIBK1

Don't tell me you bought from Abes of New Jersey.
I'm not saying they're gonna fuckitup, but they do have a great track record of bullshit.
Order something tonight, then tomorrow morning they're calling your ass for extended warranties and extra carrying bags and special lens caps. And they won't ship your item without this phone call.
Don't expect it to arrive on time, cause they don't have it in stock. And when it does arrive, there's a higher than normal chance that the product is damaged, at which time AOFM will give you shit about it, then finally send another one weeks later, which has a higher than normal chance it's damaged, lather, rinse, repeat.

edit: I've never bought a camera or glass from them, so LMMV. I was referring to HDTVs mostly. But then again, everything could go smoothly.

BacktoBasics
08-25-2009, 08:04 AM
Don't tell me you bought from Abes of New Jersey.
I'm not saying they're gonna fuckitup, but they do have a great track record of bullshit.
Order something tonight, then tomorrow morning they're calling your ass for extended warranties and extra carrying bags and special lens caps. And they won't ship your item without this phone call.
Don't expect it to arrive on time, cause they don't have it in stock. And when it does arrive, there's a higher than normal chance that the product is damaged, at which time AOFM will give you shit about it, then finally send another one weeks later, which has a higher than normal chance it's damaged, lather, rinse, repeat.

edit: I've never bought a camera or glass from them, so LMMV. I was referring to HDTVs mostly. But then again, everything could go smoothly.I'm 10 minutes away from pulling the trigger. Maybe I'll hold off. I know B&H is solid but I couldn't seem to get as good of a package deal from them as I could get from Abe's of Maine.

Slomo
08-25-2009, 09:16 AM
Speed and depth of field probably does make a difference, but I didn't even think of that. My anti-digital bias is strong enough that I've come to take it for granted that those are both impossible when not shooting with film.

Well I must say the last few generations of digital SLRs are doing a good job and with the increased resolution and lack of compression those things are just as present on digital pictures as they were on film (and I'm a big fan of good old film, specially slides).
There's actually a digital back for the Hasselblad camera that is so good that it has almost totally replaced film for studio shooting - and that's something many swore would never happen.

BTW for anybody using Digital SLRs: memory cards are so cheap now that please do not shoot in any format that has compression (jpeg, jpg...) but ONLY use the camera's raw format.

I have a 70-300mm macro zoom lens, f4-22, that I got brand new a few years ago for $80. It's my baby. It would fit the Canon body.
But that's a zoom and it's probably only a real macro lens when in the 70mm position. If you like the macro picture you taking with that lens, believe me you would love the results if you used a "real" 100mm non-zoom macro lens (you probably wouldn't like the price though - I know I don't)

BH is super solid, I've bought from them for my private use and professionally and have no complaint in the 10+ years I've used their services.

BacktoBasics
08-25-2009, 09:53 AM
On the Nikon

Viewfinder: Eye-level penta-Dach mirror single-lens reflex viewfinder

So these cameras don't use an LCD viewfinder? The LCD is only to see the picture already taken? Am I getting that right?

PM5K
08-25-2009, 10:17 AM
On the Nikon

So these cameras don't use an LCD viewfinder? The LCD is only to see the picture already taken? Am I getting that right?

LOL.

I fucking told you man.....

You wouldn't want an LCD viewfinder on a DSLR, but they do make them.

BacktoBasics
08-25-2009, 10:25 AM
LOL.

I fucking told you man.....

You wouldn't want an LCD viewfinder on a DSLR, but they do make them.Who makes them? Someone has to make one where you can go back and forth depending on the situation.

PM5K
08-25-2009, 10:28 AM
Who makes them? Someone has to make one where you can go back and forth depending on the situation.

Yeah but you wouldn't want one, the whole point of a DSLR is being able to see the image exactly as it is through the viewfinder so you can determine depth of field, focus, etc.

Can you imagine trying to focus the lens while holding the camera away from your body to see the image on the LCD?

Man I need a good analogy right now..........

BacktoBasics
08-25-2009, 10:31 AM
Yeah but you wouldn't want one, the whole point of a DSLR is being able to see the image exactly as it is through the viewfinder so you can determine depth of field, focus, etc.

Can you imagine trying to focus the lens while holding the camera away from your body to see the image on the LCD?

Man I need a good analogy right now..........Don't get me wrong I get your point. I get what an SLR is all about. The visual physics behind an actual looking glass...

There are situation though where an LCD image frame would be helpful.

I just started reading a little but it looks like the Canons have a LCD viewfinder option.

PM5K
08-25-2009, 10:33 AM
it looks like the Canons have a LCD viewfinder option.

Yeah, people make them, but it's like putting mud tires on a Ferrari.

If you want to see a "live" image through an LCD don't buy a DSLR.

BacktoBasics
08-25-2009, 10:40 AM
Yeah, people make them, but it's like putting mud tires on a Ferrari.

If you want to see a "live" image through an LCD don't buy a DSLR.

EDIT: Which Canon has an LCD viewfinder?But what if I want to take my Ferrari mudding?

BacktoBasics
08-25-2009, 10:41 AM
EDIT: Which Canon has an LCD viewfinder?
Since I got off of Abe's of Maine I was looking at this at B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/598184-REG/Canon__EOS_Rebel_XSi_a_k_a_.html

PM5K
08-25-2009, 10:45 AM
But what if I want to take my Ferrari mudding?

You'll never get the mud of of your flux capacitor...

It's a nice camera and I've never heard anything bad about B&H.....

My mom doesn't like Canon but she doesn't use digital.

BacktoBasics
08-25-2009, 10:50 AM
Since I got off of Abe's of Maine I was looking at this at B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/598184-REG/Canon__EOS_Rebel_XSi_a_k_a_.htmlIf I get this I should probably get another lens to go with it? Are there any decent lenes under 200 bucks or am I better off waiting and getting something in the 400-500 range.

PM5K
08-25-2009, 10:53 AM
Just get one of these and get it over with:

http://www.wolfcamera.com/product/541533402.htm

EDIT: Maybe you can convince your boss to let you keep that guys 7K deposit.

BacktoBasics
08-25-2009, 11:00 AM
Just get one of these and get it over with:

http://www.wolfcamera.com/product/541533402.htm

EDIT: Maybe you can convince your boss to let you keep that guys 7K deposit.God damn for that kind of money it better suck my dick after taking the picture.

PM5K
08-25-2009, 11:04 AM
Hey, can I get dibs on this camera when you sell it a month from now? I'll give you 40% of what you paid for it.

Read this about Live View:

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=1766

PM5K
08-25-2009, 11:05 AM
God damn for that kind of money it better suck my dick after taking the picture.

If you spend that kind of money maybe your wife will, or she'll ask you what the fuck were you thinking?

scott
08-25-2009, 11:06 AM
If you haven't bought yet - I suggest also checking out J&R for Pricing. http://www.jr.com/

I just got a nice entry-level Canon EOS Rebel XS kit (18-55mm lens) as a gift that only costs $500 from them. I've bought with great success from them before as well.

scott
08-25-2009, 11:06 AM
double post.

Cry Havoc
08-25-2009, 11:13 AM
http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/home.aspx

This is a good site.

B2B, some of my thoughts.

Even cheap glass on a DSLR is going to beat the hell out of a point and shoot. I have a $105 Nikkor lens for my Nikon D50 and it's a very quality piece of work. For non-professionals, it does everything you want and more.

Personally I would recommend the Nikon D90. For around $1000 you get a fantastic camera, a decent lens, and as a bonus it shoots video as well.

Cheaper than that, the D40/D50 are excellent cameras in a very affordable price range.

Also look to Amazon, they generally have detailed reviews on additional lenses. I'm guessing your wife will want an 18 or 28 to 80 mm lens, something along those lines, unless she likes to zoom way in on the subject.

You really do want to invest all you can in the camera to start, because that's the one thing you can't upgrade later.

The 18 to 55mm lens is going to be fine for most photography, but if she's going to shoot close ups at a sporting event or zoom in on wildlife, you want at minimum a 200mm lens.

I have a 28-80, and a 55-200. I think they are perfect compliments to each other, and I use my wide angle (the former) FAR more. It's a $70 Tamron and it takes excellent photographs. I'm by no means a pro, but DSLRs will do a phenomenal job with even basic lenses unless you're looking for National Geographic quality of detail. There is no beating a $2000 lens with a really quick focus, but there is definitely a point of diminishing returns. A $200 lens should be more than adequate for most photography.

BacktoBasics
08-25-2009, 11:29 AM
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/598184-REG/Canon__EOS_Rebel_XSi_a_k_a_.html

I pulled the trigger. Got an extra battery. Just at 750 bucks. I'll get another lens once I know more about this stuff.

BacktoBasics
08-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Hey, can I get dibs on this camera when you sell it a month from now? I'll give you 40% of what you paid for it.

Read this about Live View:

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=1766Thanks. Thats actually a good little read.

If you haven't bought yet - I suggest also checking out J&R for Pricing. http://www.jr.com/

I'll probably get some stuff from there. Pricing seems good.

Wild Cobra
08-25-2009, 11:40 AM

I pulled the trigger. Got an extra battery. Just at 750 bucks. I'll get another lens once I know more about this stuff.
By looking at the specs, that was probably your best choice for price vs. quality. 12.6 mexapixils, raw format, interchangeable lenses...

Meets my criteria!

PM5K
08-25-2009, 11:41 AM
I prefer Nikon but Canon is ok...