PDA

View Full Version : Who is making the cut in the Frontcourt?

JustinJDW
08-25-2009, 02:19 AM
I am kind of confused on who will be on the Roster when the Season starts. I am just wondering, who will make the cut in the Frontcourt? This is kind of how I see things so far, and if I have something wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me.

C: Tim Duncan/Theo Ratliff
PF: Antonio McDyess/Dejuan Blair

We have three other guys right? Matt Bonner, Marcus Haislip and Ian Mahinmi. So which two are making it? Are we even taking two, or are we just adding one more? Or have the Spurs Management have not really figured that out yet? I'm just wondering what the deal is here. Thanks for the help.

kbrury
08-25-2009, 02:24 AM
Training camp and preseason.

They could keep them all if they wanted.

JustinJDW
08-25-2009, 02:25 AM
Damn, I hope we trade Bonner. That would seriously make my year. Maybe Haislip can play the 3?

kbrury
08-25-2009, 02:30 AM
As much as I want Bonner traded hes pretty good coming off the bench now that we have Dice.

Ive never seen Haislip play but from what I hear he can't play the three.

JustinJDW
08-25-2009, 02:32 AM
As much as I want Bonner traded hes pretty good coming off the bench now that we have Dice.True. I guess what I am most scared of is the development of Blair and Mahinmi being slowed down due to guys like Bonner and Haislip.

Manufan909
08-25-2009, 03:06 AM
I am kind of confused on who will be on the Roster when the Season starts. I am just wondering, who will make the cut in the Frontcourt? This is kind of how I see things so far, and if I have something wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me.

We have three other guys right? Matt Bonner, Marcus Haislip and Ian Mahinmi. So which two are making it? Are we even taking two, or are we just adding one more? Or have the Spurs Management have not really figured that out yet? I'm just wondering what the deal is here. Thanks for the help.

I personally believe both Haislip and Ian will end up averaging more minutes at the end of the seasn than Theo, and I think Ian will play more than Theo from the start.

08-25-2009, 03:21 AM
i believe mahinmi should get heavy minutes during the regular season, that way he can actually be useful next year. mcdyess will probably get 25 minutes, ratliff 10-15 minutes, blair 15-20 minutes, and bonner + haislip competing for the rest.

spurs really need to develop either haislip or mahinmi because they are cheap options for the future. mcdyess might not have a second year left in him, ratliff will be gone for sure, blair might be a defensive liability against much taller PF/Cs, and bonner cannot step into the role of being duncan's right hand man.

ceperez
08-25-2009, 06:16 AM
spurs really need to develop either haislip or mahinmi because they are cheap options for the future. mcdyess might not have a second year left in him, ratliff will be gone for sure, blair might be a defensive liability against much taller PF/Cs, and bonner cannot step into the role of being duncan's right hand man.

Agree 100%!

If there was anything that this year's finalist showed, it is that, tall and nimble players rule the playoffs. Orlando had Turkulu and Rashard Lewis roaming the perimeter. The Cavs with the best regularly season record were simply crushed! Mo Williams, Delonte West and Gibson were simply disappeared. That's why I'm thrilled that Ariza was no resigned.

I'm not sure if Haislip has a lot of moves, but on the other hand Rashard Lewis despite being paid over $20m a year, is pretty one dimensional also. Mahinmi doesn't seem to have a very good anchor...

coyotes_geek
08-25-2009, 10:24 AM

All 7 of those guys have guaranteed contracts so they're all making the cut.

TD 21
08-25-2009, 04:09 PM

What's the word on Haislip's contractual status? Are both years guaranteed, are one of the years guaranteed, or is neither year guaranteed? Originally when he signed it was reported that it was a fully guaranteed contract, then according to Shamsports neither year was guaranteed ($50 000 guarantee the first year).

Pop didn't mention Haislip when talking about players who will have to make the team in camp (Williams, Hairston, Gist, McClinton).

dbestpro
08-25-2009, 04:24 PM
Pop will be all about match ups. Of course TD and McD to start.

Haislip is going to get some run at the SF, as well. His task is to guard the long 3s like Prince and Lewis, while giving RJ some rest.

Blair will get minutes when the other teams crash the boards,
Ratliff will go when the other team goes to the hoop.
Bonner will go at PF or C when you want to stretch the D. Haislip could take this spot as well.
Mahinmi will play energy minutes along with Blair when the team seems tired.
All will be on the 15 man roster, not all will suit every night on the 12 man roster.

lurker23
08-25-2009, 05:04 PM
What's the word on Haislip's contractual status? Are both years guaranteed, are one of the years guaranteed, or is neither year guaranteed? Originally when he signed it was reported that it was a fully guaranteed contract, then according to Shamsports neither year was guaranteed ($50 000 guarantee the first year).

Pop didn't mention Haislip when talking about players who will have to make the team in camp (Williams, Hairston, Gist, McClinton).

Shamsports later corrected this to say that it was Hairston who only has the $50,000 guaranteed, not Haislip.

Haislip has the first year fully guaranteed ($855,189), then the second year fully non-guaranteed ($915,852, becoming fully guaranteed if Haislip is not waived on or before July 1st 2010).

TD 21
08-25-2009, 05:13 PM
Shamsports later corrected this to say that it was Hairston who only has the $50,000 guaranteed, not Haislip.

Haislip has the first year fully guaranteed ($855,189), then the second year fully non-guaranteed ($915,852, becoming fully guaranteed if Haislip is not waived on or before July 1st 2010).

Thanks for clearing that up. So essentially he has a year to show the Spurs he's worth more of their time/money, and if not he'll probably be waived before July 1st 2010. Also, he's an affordable contract to throw into a potential trade if the Spurs see fit at some point within' the next ten months.

DPG21920
08-25-2009, 05:17 PM
He seems to be in the same boat as Ian then.

JonNOKC
08-25-2009, 07:00 PM

That makes it pretty simple - the other thing to note is that there is a realistic chance that Timmy,McDyess will not play both games on back to back

Mel_13
08-25-2009, 07:22 PM
He seems to be in the same boat as Ian then.

Not quite. The Spurs must decide by Oct 31st, 2009 whether or not to pick up their option on Ian for the 2010-2011 season. If they do not pick up his option by then, he will be an unrestricted FA next summer.

DPG21920
08-25-2009, 07:32 PM
That's right. I forgot how soon the option was for Ian. He must have a very good preseason. I wonder how seriously they might consider not picking up his option if he has a rough camp and preseason?