PDA

View Full Version : this country will recover when most of the baby boomers are dead

nkdlunch
08-25-2009, 02:00 PM
So I was thinking. All these baby boomers are now dragging our country into shit. Inflating Social Security, Healthcare, etc like crazy. Not to mention doing crazy decisions just to hold on to their money on the short run.(Real Estate, Stock Market, Wars,etc)

Once these fossils are underground, I think is when this country will start recovering. Sad to say, but it is the damn truth. No offense, even my parents are baby boomers :(

Does anyone agree?

on that note,

http://www.boomerdeathcounter.com/

boutons_deux
08-25-2009, 02:05 PM
baby boomers have spawned their own baby boomers, assholes like you.

Why don't you blame The Greatest Generation that spawned the Baby Boomers.

nkdlunch
08-25-2009, 02:08 PM

The generally accepted birth years of the USA Baby Boomers is 1946-1964

nkdlunch
08-25-2009, 02:11 PM

I am not saying that we should bus the baby boomers to death camps, but don't you think 80 million OLD ppl leaving the world in the next 10-20 years will lighten the burden the country is carrying?

hater
08-25-2009, 02:19 PM
:wow they are starting to drop like flies:

Percentage of USA Baby Boomers who are dead:
8.96490714 %

Total USA Baby Boomers left alive:

Seconds before the next USA Baby Boomer dies:

USA Baby Boomers died in last 24 hours:

Bender
08-25-2009, 03:35 PM
I'm a Boomer, and I resent being called a "fossil"... :lol

InRareForm
08-25-2009, 03:37 PM
ruthless posting

TeyshaBlue
08-25-2009, 04:54 PM
mindless posting.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-25-2009, 05:19 PM
Actually its not even remotely mindless posting. Baby Boomers started to enter the power structure in the late 70s as the oldest entered their 30s and almost immediately we saw this country begin to go to shit.

They are the generation that has seen us pile up the massive debt that is the hallmark of their legacy of passing on responsibilities so they can make a buck today.

They are responsible for this proliferation of this futile drug 'war' that has been pimped since their entrance into the power structure. This is the highest irony because they spawned the hippy culture which makes them one of the biggest collection of hypocrites ever.

The WW2 generation stopped the European takeover of a German totalitarian society bent on eugenics and social control. They also saw the passing of the Civil Rights Act. Those are two of the most significant achievements in US HISTORY.

What have the Baby Boomers done?

They lost Vietnam and then spit on the soldiers coming home.
They ran up HUGE debts from the personal to the national level with no real intention or ability to ever pay back.
Really the only thing they can hang their hat on is running up humongous debts to make a faltering Soviet system go banrupt. WOOHOO!!!

Generation X which I am in the tail end of started entering the power structure about 10 years ago. It is no coincidence that you are seeing the political landscape to change a bit. We are seeing a black president that wannabee arch conservatives want to call a communist as president.

All I have to say is that we will be hard pressed to fuck things up worse than our preceding generation has.

TeyshaBlue
08-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Actually its not even remotely mindless posting. Baby Boomers started to enter the power structure in the late 70s as the oldest entered their 30s and almost immediately we saw this country begin to go to shit.

They are the generation that has seen us pile up the massive debt that is the hallmark of their legacy of passing on responsibilities so they can make a buck today.

They are responsible for this proliferation of this futile drug 'war' that has been pimped since their entrance into the power structure. This is the highest irony because they spawned the hippy culture which makes them one of the biggest collection of hypocrites ever.

The WW2 generation stopped the European takeover of a German totalitarian society bent on eugenics and social control. They also saw the passing of the Civil Rights Act. Those are two of the most significant achievements in US HISTORY.

They ran up HUGE debts from the personal to the national level with no real intention or ability to ever pay back.
Really the only thing they can hang their hat on is running up humongous debts to make a faltering Soviet system go banrupt. WOOHOO!!!

Generation X which I am in the tail end of started entering the power structure about 10 years ago. It is no coincidence that you are seeing the political landscape to change a bit. We are seeing a black president that wannabee arch conservatives want to call a communist as president.

All I have to say is that we will be hard pressed to fuck things up worse than our preceding generation has.

ROFL...dont confuse correlation with causation. You made a bunch of points up there. Back 'em up, cowboy.

Wild Cobra
08-25-2009, 05:28 PM
The problem with Baby Boomers is the generation that bore them. Not the boomers. We are a generation of kids from families with several kids rather than families having fewer kids today. It was expected in the Ponzi Scheme of Social Security, that there would be even more people to pay for our benefits. It's not happening. even when we die, gen X will have the same SS issues.

DarrinS
08-25-2009, 05:30 PM

PC's and the Internet immediately come to mind. But those things probably didn't have much of an influence on our society.

EDIT> Oh, and the THEN 20-somethings that worked at NASA and put a man on the moon.

TeyshaBlue
08-25-2009, 05:32 PM
PC's and the Internet immediately come to mind. But those things probably didn't have much of an influence on our society.

Or that whole NASA thing.....you know. Totally inconsequential.

Doh! You edited!

DarrinS
08-25-2009, 05:37 PM
The problem with Baby Boomers is the generation that bore them. Not the boomers. We are a generation of kids from families with several kids rather than families having fewer kids today. It was expected in the Ponzi Scheme of Social Security, that there would be even more people to pay for our benefits. It's not happening. even when we die, gen X will have the same SS issues.

Actually, this is a damn good point. If a large, aging demographic has fewer kids than their parents' generation, you're right, the Ponzi scheme of SS is not sustainable.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-25-2009, 05:44 PM
ROFL...dont confuse correlation with causation. You made a bunch of points up there. Back 'em up, cowboy.

Causation is impossible to prove. Go read some Hume.

For example prove to me that some fourth dimensional monkey is or is not responsible for gravitation. You can ALWAYS infinitely regress.

The link however is very strong. When the majority of the workforce people in places of authority and the voter base are of a particular generation then you can attribute events to that generation. It tends towards it.

Now prove its not the case.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-25-2009, 05:57 PM

EDIT> Oh, and the THEN 20-somethings that worked at NASA and put a man on the moon.

The Apollo programme was a triumph of management in meeting the enormously difficult systems engineering and technological integration requirements. James E Webb, the Nasa administrator at the height of the programme between 1961 and 1968, always contended that Apollo was much more a management exercise than anything else, and that the technological challenge, while sophisticated and impressive, was always within grasp.

http://kn.theiet.org/magazine/issues/0912/building-the-moon-rocket-0912.cfm

There is no question that the people in charge of the program, project leads etc were not 22 years old.

PCs I will give you to an extent. OTOH, it was created because IBM wanted to pass the costs off onto someone else --where have we heard that before?-- and licensed the OS to Gates and the chips to Intel. If it wasn't for fed intervention in favor of AMD we would have 2 trusts instead of one.

The internet only has proliferated in the last 10 years or so. For example Larry Page was born in 1973. 15 years ago before GenX got involved, you had things like AOL.

Wild Cobra
08-25-2009, 06:21 PM

Yep, Bill Gates created Microsoft;

Al Gore created the internet.

LnGrrrR
08-25-2009, 07:31 PM

That's a good point actually. It was assumed by some that a society with more resources would produce more children; however, advanced societies have tended to DECLINE slightly in new births.

TeyshaBlue
08-25-2009, 07:34 PM
Causation is impossible to prove. Go read some Hume.

For example prove to me that some fourth dimensional monkey is or is not responsible for gravitation. You can ALWAYS infinitely regress.

The link however is very strong. When the majority of the workforce people in places of authority and the voter base are of a particular generation then you can attribute events to that generation. It tends towards it.

Now prove its not the case.

LOL..I've forgotten more Hume than you've probably read.

You probably could infinitely regress on anything as you demonstate a lack of critical thought.
You posit your "position", such that it is, as a zero sum game while stringing together a nebulous collection of "trends". You neglect influences outside of your narrow data set, as if the world, external to the baby boomers, exerts no influence whatsoever. You seem to negate the fact that while boomers did indeed rise to some influence, influence which you've yet to quantify in any meaningful manner, we did so hand in hand with our parents and older brothers and sisters.
You omit obvious accomplishments in civil rights, for instance, while offering up the vietnam conflict? Are you seriously laying the Vietnam conflict at the feet of the baby boomers? That alone is enough to discredit the rest of your absurd collection of wishes and perceptions.

Read some Hume? Indeed.:rolleyes

If I ask you why you believe any particular matter of fact, which you relate, you must tell me some reason; and this reason will be some other fact, connected with it. But as you cannot proceed after this manner, in infinitum, you must at last terminate in some fact, which is present to your memory or senses; or must allow that your belief is entirely without foundation.

If you possessed the wit that you pretend to, you could easily build a better case for your argument by simply examining the change in the roles and modes of media across the baby boomer time frame. The decline of "Life" magazine as "People" and "US" magazines thrive.
Actually, my chihuahua could've developed that line of thought.:rollin

*Edit* Sorry. Just took my blood sugar. It's low. I get fucking pompous when it's low.:depressed

SonOfAGun
08-25-2009, 07:55 PM
Maaaaan, the baby boomers had good timing. I'm jealous.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-25-2009, 07:59 PM
LOL..I've forgotten more Hume than you've probably read.

You probably could infinitely regress on anything as you demonstate a lack of critical thought.
You posit your "position", such that it is, as a zero sum game while stringing together a nebulous collection of "trends". You neglect influences outside of your narrow data set, as if the world, external to the baby boomers, exerts no influence whatsoever. You seem to negate the fact that while boomers did indeed rise to some influence, influence which you've yet to quantify in any meaningful manner, we did so hand in hand with our parents and older brothers and sisters.
You omit obvious accomplishments in civil rights, for instance, while offering up the vietnam conflict? Are you seriously laying the Vietnam conflict at the feet of the baby boomers? That alone is enough to discredit the rest of your absurd collection of wishes and perceptions.

Read some Hume? Indeed.:rolleyes

If I ask you why you believe any particular matter of fact, which you relate, you must tell me some reason; and this reason will be some other fact, connected with it. But as you cannot proceed after this manner, in infinitum, you must at last terminate in some fact, which is present to your memory or senses; or must allow that your belief is entirely without foundation.

If you possessed the wit that you pretend to, you could easily build a better case for your argument by simply examining the change in the roles and modes of media across the baby boomer time frame. The decline of "Life" magazine as "People" and "US" magazines thrive.
Actually, my chihuahua could've developed that line of thought.:rollin

To be a philosophical sceptic is, in a man of letters, the first and most essential step

What you are referring to is what Russell and to a degree Kant would say. Apparently you have forgotten quite a bit of Hume. What do you think the whole point of Critique of Pure Reason was for? You think he did it just on a lark?

All I am doing is attributing events that occur when a particular generation is between the ages of 30 and 50 to try and demonstrate the actions of said generation. Your dog must've come up with the media plan because its pretty damn stupid, I don't see a better idea than mine.

hope4dopes
08-25-2009, 08:22 PM

stupid

nkdlunch
08-25-2009, 09:02 PM

thank you. Eventhough the baby boomer generation made this nation what it is, it is now the biggest thing that is dragging the nation down. They have become spoiled, distracted in pointless bickering(dems vs. reps), lazy and now old so they have to be taken care of, without contributing.

that was the point of my post. there is nothing anybody can do, it's just the way it is. But the sooner we realize it, the better

now they have us distracted with Healthcare bickering, of couse because their old asses are worried about one thing only, extending their final years.

nkdlunch
08-25-2009, 09:05 PM
IMO anybody over 50 needs to STFU and let the young ppl fix this mess

jman3000
08-25-2009, 09:05 PM
They're the goat in the anaconda's body. Once it passes through things will change big time.

Wild Cobra
08-25-2009, 09:06 PM
IMO anybody over 55 needs to STFU and let the young ppl fix this mess
Well, I see my time is short by your clock.

jman3000
On a side note... my mom and dad will live forever.

nkdlunch
They're the goat in the anaconda's body. Once it passes through things will change big time.

:tu :tu

just like the Civil Rights happened after the previous generation was dead or senile

Extra Stout
08-25-2009, 09:53 PM
Whence comes this assumption that Gen X is somehow this paragon of virtue compared to the Baby Boomers?

SnakeBoy
08-25-2009, 10:33 PM

Yep. We need a pyramid to make it work and those days are gone. The ever increasing lifespan is also the primary driver of increased healthcare costs. A fact no politician wants to talk about.

http://images.nationmaster.com/images/pyramids/us-1950.png
http://images.nationmaster.com/images/pyramids/us-2010.png
http://images.nationmaster.com/images/pyramids/us-2020.png
http://images.nationmaster.com/images/pyramids/us-2050.png

SnakeBoy
08-25-2009, 10:37 PM

All you can do to make things better is to start makin babies. The more the better.

LnGrrrR
08-26-2009, 08:50 AM
All you can do to make things better is to start makin babies. The more the better.

I'm working on that patriotic duty right now! 2 more months to go! :tu

nkdlunch
08-26-2009, 09:15 AM
Whence comes this assumption that Gen X is somehow this paragon of virtue compared to the Baby Boomers?

Gen X is the main product of Baby Boomers. SO if they turned out like crap, guess who's main fault that is??

boutons_deux
08-26-2009, 09:20 AM
If Baby Boomers raised the shitty Gen X, then did "The Greatest Generation" fuck up raising Baby Boomers?

Actually, just play the Nazi card, and blame Baby Boomers on Hitler.

nkdlunch
08-26-2009, 09:23 AM
If Baby Boomers raised the shitty Gen X, then die "The Greatest Generation" fuck up raising Baby Boomers?

Actually, just play the Nazi card, and blame Baby Boomers on Hitler.

Again, I am not saying Baby Boomers were a failure. On the contrary. They were a success for the most part, compared to their previous gen.

What I am saying is that for better or worse, baby boomers are a drag to this country now.

A. the sooner all realize this, the better
B. Baby Boomers need to let the younger gen take charge now

since B is not gonna happen, hence the title of my thread

TeyshaBlue
08-26-2009, 09:44 AM
We get it. Old people are a drag on society.

Ok. You're in charge. Get busy.:rollin

coyotes_geek
08-26-2009, 09:51 AM
Let's just go Logan's Run on society.

TeyshaBlue
08-26-2009, 09:54 AM

I know. I was just waiting for someone to post a carousel moment.

Viva Las Espuelas
08-26-2009, 09:57 AM
IMO anybody over 50 needs to STFU and let the young ppl fix this mess
you know. i think you're right. obama is 47. 50 in 2012. :tu

:wakeup

LnGrrrR
08-26-2009, 10:06 AM

I've got that movie sitting on my table at home. Go Netflix!

SnakeBoy
08-26-2009, 11:48 AM
What I am saying is that for better or worse, baby boomers are a drag to this country now.

Here ya go...

_IQSbJUj7u8

coyotes_geek
08-26-2009, 11:50 AM
I've got that movie sitting on my table at home. Go Netflix!

Love netflix. Whoever thought that idea up is a freaking genius.

DarrinS
08-26-2009, 12:25 PM

+1

And I'm not a baby boomer.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-26-2009, 12:33 PM

No none is saying that. What is beig said is that the baby boomers suck and Gen X can only improve from there.

The only reason why its now a 'ponzi scheme' is because the SS surplus that was built up over 50 years was raped. Its akin to pulling money out of your IRA constantly starting at 30 and then wondering why you dont have shit at 65.

The fund was designed to garner interest while payouts were low ie before the baby boomers started to age to have the money available later. Its why they set up a separate fund from the general fund.

Well those fuckers have been taking money out of their IRA the whole time.

TeyshaBlue
08-26-2009, 01:16 PM
No none is saying that. What is beig said is that the baby boomers suck and Gen X can only improve from there.

That arguement has already been destroyed once, yet you cling to it like a life vest.

TeyshaBlue
08-26-2009, 01:21 PM
That arguement has already been destroyed once, yet you cling to it like a life vest.

Here, let me do it again.

All I am doing is attributing events that occur when a particular generation is between the ages of 30 and 50 to try and demonstrate the actions of said generation. Your dog must've come up with the media plan because its pretty damn stupid, I don't see a better idea than mine.

What you are doing is attributing events to a particular generation to try (and fail) to demonstrate the actions of said generation.

For sure, my dog ain't the brightest. But, he can debate better than this.

AP Wire 8-26-09

Scientists at Texas A&M Make Unique Discovery

Leading entolomogists at Texas A&M recently revealed the startling results of a year long study of grasshoppers. "What we discovered, much to our amazement, is that grasshoppers hear with their legs.", Dr. Richard Loggert summarized.
"We studied the effects of loud noises on grasshoppers. When we placed them in a cage and then dropped a board on the ground next to them, they would jump..virtually every time. We then removed the rear legs from the grasshoppers and repeated the experiments. To our astonishment, they didn't jump when the board hit! We repeated the experiment several hundreds of times. Each revealed that, without their legs, they were apparently unable to hear the board hitting the ground."

Wild Cobra
08-26-2009, 01:32 PM
Sounds good to me. You have two years of consecutive nonproductive status before we will terminate you.

Fix the social spending, wont it!

coyotes_geek
08-26-2009, 01:36 PM
The only reason why its now a 'ponzi scheme' is because the SS surplus that was built up over 50 years was raped. Its akin to pulling money out of your IRA constantly starting at 30 and then wondering why you dont have shit at 65.

The fund was designed to garner interest while payouts were low ie before the baby boomers started to age to have the money available later. Its why they set up a separate fund from the general fund.

No doubt congress' looting of the ss trust fund is a big part of the problem, but it's not all of it. SS is something like $9 trillion in the red and the congressional lootings only account for $5 trillion. Congress has sped up the process, but the system is still fundamentally flawed.

Wild Cobra
08-26-2009, 01:41 PM
No doubt congress' looting of the ss trust fund is a big part of the problem, but it's not all of it. SS is something like $9 trillion in the red and the congressional lootings only account for $5 trillion. Congress has sped up the process, but the system is still fundamentally flawed.
How is it in the red? My research tells me the system is owed tons of money that was spent in the general budget. However, interest isn't paid on it. Now maybe there is $5 trillion borrowed and $9 Trillion owed with interest. Thing is, social security isn't expected to pay out more than it takes in for a couple decades still, but that depends on who's numbers you look at.

TeyshaBlue
08-26-2009, 01:49 PM

I cant argue with the state of SS today. Can you show me the data that demonstrates it was the subset "baby boomers" who raided the trust fund?

Wild Cobra
08-26-2009, 01:53 PM
I cant argue with the state of SS today. Can you show me the data that demonstrates it was the subset "baby boomers" who raided the trust fund?
I'd like to see that too. From the conception, the government just made up any losses or spent any gains in the system. There never was a "lock box" or separate account.

coyotes_geek
08-26-2009, 01:56 PM
How is it in the red? My research tells me the system is owed tons of money that was spent in the general budget. However, interest isn't paid on it. Now maybe there is $5 trillion borrowed and $9 Trillion owed with interest. Thing is, social security isn't expected to pay out more than it takes in for a couple decades still, but that depends on who's numbers you look at.

As I understand it if you take the net present value of the expected tax revenues and the expected benefit payouts you end up with a $9 trillion dollar shortfall, present value. So I guess it's a question of whether or not that gap would exist had Congress not been "borrowing" $5 trillion from the fund over the years. My finger in the wind analysis says no, but I could be wrong.

TeyshaBlue
08-26-2009, 02:05 PM
Sounds good to me. You have two years of consecutive nonproductive status before we will terminate you.

Shit. I should've been dead 20 years ago.:depressed

Wild Cobra
08-26-2009, 02:05 PM
As I understand it if you take the net present value of the expected tax revenues and the expected benefit payouts you end up with a $9 trillion dollar shortfall, present value. So I guess it's a question of whether or not that gap would exist had Congress not been "borrowing" $5 trillion from the fund over the years. My finger in the wind analysis says no, but I could be wrong.
Right, but that's future unfunded amounts. That's not present day. I see where you're coming from. I don't know the dollar amounts, but I agree.

The future of SS is in the red. Not today.

Wild Cobra
08-26-2009, 02:07 PM
I know Dr. Loggert. Kind of an odd guy. Really leaves a lot of things unsaid. I guess being around insects does that.
And he had how many $thousands for that government grant?

TeyshaBlue
08-26-2009, 02:09 PM
And he had how many $thousands for that government grant?

Grasshoppers dont grow on trees!:ihit

'cept in my backyard.:depressed

Wild Cobra
08-26-2009, 02:12 PM
Shit. I should've been dead 20 years ago.:depressed
LOL... What can I say.

I meant that to be only 2 years as a burden to society. Are you a burden? I wanted to make the people who can be productive, but live on government programs think. I'm tired of our welfare systems as they exist. Too many people work hard at scamming them. Some are so good at it, they might have the makings of becoming millionaires if they put as much energy at real work as they do scamming the system.

You know, not far in the future, we will not be able to pay for everything. Social programs are the single largest category of the federal budget. How will our progeny tackle this problem?

LnGrrrR
08-26-2009, 02:22 PM
Love netflix. Whoever thought that idea up is a freaking genius.

The RedBox idea is pretty intelligent too. It's only really feasible nowadays, when nearly everyone has a credit/debit card.

TeyshaBlue
08-26-2009, 02:26 PM
The RedBox idea is pretty intelligent too. It's only really feasible nowadays, when nearly everyone has a credit/debit card.

Sidebar: Mark Cuban's blog was recently discussing the merits of Redbox vs. Netflix. He's solidly on the RedBox team.

LnGrrrR
08-26-2009, 02:28 PM
Sidebar: Mark Cuban's blog was recently discussing the merits of Redbox vs. Netflix. He's solidly on the RedBox team.

Hmm... any link for that? I'm curious to see what the general public thinks about it.

To be sure, RedBox is probably cheaper, unless you watch 8 or more movies per month. But it would have to be somewhere within your nearby area, that you wouldn't mind driving by. The Redboxes here are slightly out of my way.

TeyshaBlue
08-26-2009, 02:32 PM
Hmm... any link for that? I'm curious to see what the general public thinks about it.

To be sure, RedBox is probably cheaper, unless you watch 8 or more movies per month. But it would have to be somewhere within your nearby area, that you wouldn't mind driving by. The Redboxes here are slightly out of my way.

Here ya go.

http://blogmaverick.com/2009/08/22/the-irony-of-the-video-business/

coyotes_geek
08-26-2009, 02:34 PM

Red Box is good too, but the wife and I use netflix since the redbox we tried was at the grocery store, and we only hit the grocery store once a week. So we'd get a movie and then have to decide whether or not to make a special trip back to the grocery store or to just get dinged a buck a day until it was time for our weekly grocery run.

Strike
08-26-2009, 02:34 PM

I'm hoping to die childless. In my 50's.

Strike
08-26-2009, 02:37 PM
Red Box is good too, but the wife and I use netflix since the redbox we tried was at the grocery store, and we only hit the grocery store once a week. So we'd get a movie and then have to decide whether or not to make a special trip back to the grocery store or to just get dinged a buck a day until it was time for our weekly grocery run.

I'm all about Netflix. I mail a dvd out nearly every day. at $16 a month, I'm getting my money's worth.

LnGrrrR
08-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Here ya go.

http://blogmaverick.com/2009/08/22/the-irony-of-the-video-business/

Thanks! :toast

FuzzyLumpkins
08-26-2009, 09:37 PM
Here, let me do it again.

What you are doing is attributing events to a particular generation to try (and fail) to demonstrate the actions of said generation.

For sure, my dog ain't the brightest. But, he can debate better than this.

AP Wire 8-26-09

Scientists at Texas A&M Make Unique Discovery

Leading entolomogists at Texas A&M recently revealed the startling results of a year long study of grasshoppers. "What we discovered, much to our amazement, is that grasshoppers hear with their legs.", Dr. Richard Loggert summarized.
"We studied the effects of loud noises on grasshoppers. When we placed them in a cage and then dropped a board on the ground next to them, they would jump..virtually every time. We then removed the rear legs from the grasshoppers and repeated the experiments. To our astonishment, they didn't jump when the board hit! We repeated the experiment several hundreds of times. Each revealed that, without their legs, they were apparently unable to hear the board hitting the ground."

As I said you can always infinitely regress. You can always say that I have had not done enough to prove causation because at its root nothing can be proven causative.

You are the one that alluded to Russell's point --even though you incorrectly attributed it to Hume-- that at a certain point you have to go with an instinctive belief as to what is actually true.

My argument is really simple. People from 30-50 make the preponderance of positions of power. The baby boomers have been in that position from about 1976 until just about nowadays. There is no question that they have certainly been the largest segment of the voting block for the same time period.

Given that when it comes to wholistic analysis it bears to reason that they were the single largest driving force during that time period. For example the WW2 generation was given credit for WW2 precisely for this reason.

During the baby boomers watch we have seen personal debt at historic highs and personal savings at historic lows. Dividend ratios have been above 25:1 for years now which quite frankly is a fucking joke. It is also very uncanny that during the Carter administration that we saw the national debt begin to skyrocket, followed by Reagan blowing the roof of the motherfucker.

We have seen two major banking scandals under the baby boomers. The S&L of the 1980's and the current mortgage backed securities bullshit due to the erosion of Glass-Steagall over the last decade by politicians voted in by a voting block thoroughly dominated by baby boomers.

BTW, Clinton and Gramm who were the champions for repealing Glass Steagall were born in the 1940s.

You want the baby boomers personified?

http://cdlanderson.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/gekko-11.jpg

You grant that there is a clearly defined correlation. I even have provided a mechanism for causation repeatedly. You just continue with this incredulity bullshit without even addressing that. Provide a refutation of something or just shut up.

mookie2001
08-26-2009, 09:41 PM
whats a baby boomer?

SpurNation
08-26-2009, 10:33 PM
The biggest problem is people wanting to put their parents out to pasture as if it's automatic we loose any rights of human dignity after the age of 60.

My grandparents are in their 90's. Probably don't have many years left. The respect, knowledge, and love they gave me growing up keeps me helping them all I can as well as other members of the family pitching in.

Is this something lost in the X generation and younger...the ability to be respectful of things other than themselves?

I ask this because no one in my family would ever dream of doing what is asked in this post.

SpurNation
08-26-2009, 10:51 PM
If I may add...by the time all the baby boomers are dead and buried...there's a chance this country won't exist anymore in the frame work that we live in today.

Whether it will be better, worse, or non existant at all I couldn't predict that. But, from what I see today...most of the younger generation don't have the concept of saving for the future and thus will have no future of their own once their gravy train of spending mom and dad's money runs out. I sincerely hope that would never happen but I see too many indicators it will.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-26-2009, 11:09 PM
If I may add...by the time all the baby boomers are dead and buried...there's a chance this country won't exist anymore in the frame work that we live in today.

Whether it will be better, worse, or non existant at all I couldn't predict that. But, from what I see today...most of the younger generation don't have the concept of saving for the future and thus will have no future of their own once their gravy train of spending mom and dad's money runs out. I sincerely hope that would never happen but I see too many indicators it will.

Oh give me a break. If you want to talk about spending all of mom and dad's money look no farther than yourself. Perhaps you have such a great view of your parents generation precisely because they were a great generation and actually left something for you.

My entire life I have heard crap about how GenX is lazy or how we won't accomplish jack.

Well what have you left for us? Jack shit. That money that 'mom and dad' left us is all spent up. Taken a look at the national debt or the debt of the average american? The value of the dollar?

All I see is a country thats really really fucked up atm as you guys walk out into the sunset leaving us with the bill.

SpurNation
08-26-2009, 11:36 PM
Oh give me a break. If you want to talk about spending all of mom and dad's money look no farther than yourself. Perhaps you have such a great view of your parents generation precisely because they were a great generation and actually left something for you.

My entire life I have heard crap about how GenX is lazy or how we won't accomplish jack.

Well what have you left for us? Jack shit. That money that 'mom and dad' left us is all spent up. Taken a look at the national debt or the debt of the average american? The value of the dollar?

All I see is a country thats really really fucked up atm as you guys walk out into the sunset leaving us with the bill.

Your response to my post only proves that my post was right.

If you could only hear yourself type what's highlighted in bold.

I don't have any responsibility to leave anything to anyone except to my own kin. You are not my kin so i don't owe you SHIT.

My grandparents and parents taught me that I need to plan for my own future and not count on the SS program. They knew it would never be enough to provide for a decent living once I reached the age of retirement.

You on the other hand only prove what I posted...you either were never taught this...if so you have never applied it....and/or spend beyond your income never realising or caring it's up to you to be reponsible for your own future and will look to blame any and all for your inability to be repsonsible or respectful.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-27-2009, 12:07 AM
Your response to my post only proves that my post was right.

If you could only hear yourself type what's highlighted in bold.

I don't have any responsibility to leave anything to anyone except to my own kin. You are not my kin so i don't owe you SHIT.

My grandparents and parents taught me that I need to plan for my own future and not count on the SS program. They knew it would never be enough to provide for a decent living once I reached the age of retirement.

You on the other hand only prove what I posted...you either were never taught this...if so you have never applied it....and/or spend beyond your income never realising or caring it's up to you to be reponsible for your own future and will look to blame any and all for your inability to be repsonsible or respectful.

Well thats wonderful you don't think of anyone else but yourself. Bravo.

Gordon Gekko is the baby boomer generation to his core. You have zero issue of taking from the previous generation just as you have zero issue with leaving nothing behind.

I was taught to care for my family and I certainly do. OTOH I was also taught that greatness is also measured in the culture and civilization I live in. I am not so pigheaded or stupid to believe that all I have to do is worry about myself and everything will be just peachy. What the people around me do impacts me and I them.

If you want to live by some hypocritical ethic of Rand then go ahead. Or you can take the higher road and go live in a cave.

SpurNation
08-27-2009, 12:33 AM
Well thats wonderful you don't think of anyone else but yourself. Bravo.

Gordon Gekko is the baby boomer generation to his core. You have zero issue of taking from the previous generation just as you have zero issue with leaving nothing behind.

I was taught to care for my family and I certainly do. OTOH I was also taught that greatness is also measured in the culture and civilization I live in. I am not so pigheaded or stupid to believe that all I have to do is worry about myself and everything will be just peachy. What the people around me do impacts me and I them.

If you want to live by some hypocritical ethic of Rand then go ahead. Or you can take the higher road and go live in a cave.

Your spouting intelect that you have accepted to be true to your values. Where did I say I only care about myself? I clearly stated my first concern is for my kin. You know...Grandparents, parents, Wife, children, grandchildren, etc.

If I have enough to care for others...I certainly do. I can give you a list of all the people I've helped in life. Contributions I've made to charitable causes I believe in.

You believe it should be a mandated agenda that we give fiscally to provide for that which we might not believe in giving to. You beleive we should be zombies at the beckon call of providing for those who won't provide for themselves. You believe it's somebody elses fault that people can't or won't think for themselves and so we need to take care of them.

If I am forced to give to that which I do not have enough to give...my family (kin) suffers from my inability to "CHOOSE" what I deam as appropriate in the cause of their future and charity.

Apparently your against the freedom to "choose" what one wants to leave for their family.

z0sa
08-27-2009, 12:36 AM
the baby boomers were all fun loving hippies how can you hate them?

FuzzyLumpkins
08-27-2009, 12:43 AM
Your spouting intelect that you have accepted to be true to your values. Where did I say I only care about myself? I clearly stated my first concern is for my kin. You know...Grandparents, parents, Wife, children, grandchildren, etc.

If I have enough to care for others...I certainly do. I can give you a list of all the people I've helped in life. Contributions I've made to charitable causes I believe in.

You believe it should be a mandated agenda that we give fiscally to provide for that which we might not believe in giving to. You beleive we should be zombies at the beckon call of providing for those who won't provide for themselves. You believe it's somebody elses fault that people can't or won't think for themselves and so we need to take care of them.

If I am forced to give to that which I do not have enough to give...my family (kin) suffers from my inability to "CHOOSE" what I deam as appropriate in the cause of their future and charity.

Apparently your against the freedom to "choose" what one wants to leave for their family.

Don't deign to tell me me what I think. You're already failing pretty hard at it.

I think people are quite stupid and generally are easy to be led around but in no way shape or form have I ever said that that behavior should take place.

Me saying that your generation fucked things up for us is no different than saying its fucked up to have someone come to a restaurant only to be left with the bill of the people already there as they walk out the door.

Passing off your debts to someone else is the exact opposite of taking personal responsibility.

Your babbling GOP 'charity choosing' dogma isn't even cogent to the point.

SpurNation
08-27-2009, 01:10 AM
Don't deign to tell me me what I think. You're already failing pretty hard at it.

I think people are quite stupid and generally are easy to be led around but in no way shape or form have I ever said that that behavior should take place.

Me saying that your generation fucked things up for us is no different than saying its fucked up to have someone come to a restaurant only to be left with the bill of the people already there as they walk out the door.

Passing off your debts to someone else is the exact opposite of taking personal responsibility.

Your babbling GOP 'charity choosing' dogma isn't even cogent to the point.

Hey man...I feel for ya. I don't think that once I denied the system of SS is screwed up. I just don't like it when people lump an entire generation for the faults that happened in the past. Not everybody in the baby boomer generation agreed to the system...they just happened to be caught in it like you will be too.

And your post earlier made reference that the entire baby boomer generation was at fault for you not being able to have yours in the future.

I was just giving example that one should be responsible for their own future and have seen that many in your generation don't take owness for their future knowing what lies ahead.

It was no way intended to say you individually conduct yourself that way...but your response was typicall from what I hear from many in your generation.

LnGrrrR
08-27-2009, 07:46 AM

It wasn't the younger generation that were running the banks and financial industries, whose ridiculously stupid policies led to collapse. Stupidity isn't endemic to one generation.

DarrinS
08-27-2009, 07:51 AM
This thread is quite sad and makes me embarrassed of my fellow gen-X'ers.

How will many of you feel when your tattoos are wilting, your face piercings are sagging, and your stretched earlobes are hanging down to your birkenstocks? Will you feel like a drain on society?

You are bitching about a generation that ushered in the civil rights act and gave us the technological revoluton that allows you to live in comfort and post bullshit on message boards all day.

LOL, when you are an old douchebag, you'll have to rely on Generation-Y and Generation-Next to take care of your sorry asses. All those dildos know how to do is text message and consume mass quantities of super-caffeinated drinks, in between their X-box binges.

Hope you planned well for your retirement.

TeyshaBlue
08-27-2009, 08:49 AM
Provide a refutation of something or just shut up.

I believe I already have...by piercing that bubble of causation when you laid the Vietnam war at the feet of the baby boomers whilst simultaneously ignoring gains in civil rights.
This is where critical thinking comes into play...not only examining conclusions from data sets, but the relations of conclusions to each other.
I'm an analyst by trade, and a musician by hobby. I swim in alot of ponds. On the back of my office door is a sign that reads "You don't know what you don't know." The analysts that report to me are sick of hearing it, but it serves us well.
You don't know jack. You just think that you do because it "seems" that some things are related. Until you can demonstrate that you can quantify these "influences" that the boomer are responsible for, then you are left with your opinion. Try stating it as that and you'll get a whole lot less guff and be a bit more intellectually honest to boot.
Alot of things happen for fuck-all reasons. Examine all of them before you spout off.

TeyshaBlue
08-27-2009, 08:54 AM
It wasn't the younger generation that were running the banks and financial industries, whose ridiculously stupid policies led to collapse. Stupidity isn't endemic to one generation.

But since we boomers where in place when stupidity was only recently discovered, we're fuckin Lewis & Clark.:bang

DarrinS
08-27-2009, 09:33 AM
The baby boomers are a very industrious and entrepreneurial generation. One of their major flaws was probably raising a generation of spoiled, lazy, and obviously ungrateful "adult children" with a sense of entitlement.

Maybe it's just my conservative mind, but instead of pointing fingers for all the world's ills, why not do something (like they did), to change things for the better?

DarrinS
08-27-2009, 09:36 AM

A large chunk of Gen-X'ers bought homes that they couldn't afford, and, in general, have lived beyond their means. It's the younger generation that want's what their parents have and they want it NOW.

You do realize that this massive downturn in the economy has had negative consequences for baby boomers, probably more than any other group, because they are so close to retirement, don't you? Did they purposely fuck themselves over?

TeyshaBlue
08-27-2009, 09:44 AM
The baby boomers are a very industrious and entrepreneurial generation. One of their major flaws was probably raising a generation of spoiled, lazy, and obviously ungrateful "adult children" with a sense of entitlement.

Maybe it's just my conservative mind, but instead of pointing fingers for all the world's ills, why not do something (like they did), to change things for the better?

Now you're partaking of the same fount of stupidity (as recently discovered by baby boomers!) that fuzzylumpkins has apparently bathed in.

My kids, and I've got 4 from age 29 to 15, are some hard working fools. I ain't goin on some proud Dad-rant, but they certainly know how to work and ain't afraid of it.
There has been an accelerating curve of entitlement in place for the last century...that happens when a society becomes prosperous...when those things that a previous generation strived for become easily obtained in a subsequent generation. You just can't judge an entire generation on influences external to them.

DarrinS
08-27-2009, 10:02 AM
Now you're partaking of the same fount of stupidity (as recently discovered by baby boomers!) that fuzzylumpkins has apparently bathed in.

Someone caught on. :toast

My kids, and I've got 4 from age 29 to 15, are some hard working fools. I ain't goin on some proud Dad-rant, but they certainly know how to work and ain't afraid of it.

Then you are raising them well.

There has been an accelerating curve of entitlement in place for the last century...that happens when a society becomes prosperous...when those things that a previous generation strived for become easily obtained in a subsequent generation. You just can't judge an entire generation on influences external to them.

Very true.

mookie2001
08-27-2009, 10:04 AM
a lot of people who think theyre gen Xers arent actually gen Xers if you go by the loose defintions that mean nothing

whats a baby boomer? 1942-68, 1945-65?

hater
08-27-2009, 10:06 AM
I agree, the Baby Boom generation were terrible parents overall. Let their kids go to the drain pretty much. (with few exceptions such as me)

shame on the old farts

TeyshaBlue
08-27-2009, 10:19 AM
I agree, the Baby Boom generation were terrible parents overall. Let their kids go to the drain pretty much. (with few exceptions such as me)

shame on the old farts

ROFL....:lol

Hey, who dat in your avatar?

Extra Stout
08-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Where the ethos of the Baby Boomers has a flaw, it is in its narcissism to the point of self-obsession, and of its triumphalist assertion that it alone has true enlightenment and everything that came before it is suspect. However, those flaws come alongside a good many accomplishments.

The WWII generation hoped to spare its children the hardships it had to go through. Unfortunately, an unintended consequence is that the Boomers never learned the tough life lessons the WWII generation did. Prosperity without effort makes one soft.

But Gen X is far worse. Gen X is the "Me Generation." Gen X takes all the flaws of the Boomers and builds on them, with fewer of the accomplishments. Gen X took the narcissism of the Boomers and mixed it with radical individualism to build a systemic social dysfunction where 1) they believe they are entitled to everything they want, and 2) they don't care about anybody but themselves. They take responsibility for nothing -- all problems are somebody else's fault. They are always the victim. This very thread -- blaming the Baby Boomers for all America's problems -- epitomizes what Gen X is about.

Gen-Yers are even worse. And don't get me started on the millenials.

hater
08-27-2009, 10:49 AM
ROFL....:lol

Hey, who dat in your avatar?

It's pop in a gnome hat!

TeyshaBlue
08-27-2009, 10:54 AM
It's pop in a gnome hat!

Nice!:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:

DarrinS
08-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Where the ethos of the Baby Boomers has a flaw, it is in its narcissism to the point of self-obsession, and of its triumphalist assertion that it alone has true enlightenment and everything that came before it is suspect. However, those flaws come alongside a good many accomplishments.

The WWII generation hoped to spare its children the hardships it had to go through. Unfortunately, an unintended consequence is that the Boomers never learned the tough life lessons the WWII generation did. Prosperity without effort makes one soft.

But Gen X is far worse. Gen X is the "Me Generation." Gen X takes all the flaws of the Boomers and builds on them, with fewer of the accomplishments. Gen X took the narcissism of the Boomers and mixed it with radical individualism to build a systemic social dysfunction where 1) they believe they are entitled to everything they want, and 2) they don't care about anybody but themselves. They take responsibility for nothing -- all problems are somebody else's fault. They are always the victim. This very thread -- blaming the Baby Boomers for all America's problems -- epitomizes what Gen X is about.

Damn, ES. I tend to agree with your assessment, but there are exceptions, as there are to any generalization.

From just my own personal experiences with those who are now late-teens to late-20's, we are in a heap of trouble.

Extra Stout
08-27-2009, 11:43 AM
Damn, ES. I tend to agree with your assessment, but there are exceptions, as there are to any generalization.

From just my own personal experiences with those who are now late-teens to late-20's, we are in a heap of trouble.
There are always exceptions. Every generation has some exceptional people, and some total failures. But I maintain that each generation is yielding a lesser percentage of functional adults than the one preceding it. I say the typical Gen-Yer doesn't reach the emotional maturity of an adult until his thirties, if ever, whereas the Baby Boomers got there in their twenties.

I believe that the Gen-Xers are the last generation under whose leadership the United States will maintain at least a minimum level of social order. When they are out of picture, we will descend into chaos and death.

DarrinS
08-27-2009, 12:16 PM
I believe that the Gen-Xers are the last generation under whose leadership the United States will maintain at least a minimum level of social order. When they are out of picture, we will descend into chaos and death.

I guess I'll have to move to "flyover country" when I get to retirement age.

LnGrrrR
08-27-2009, 12:57 PM
A large chunk of Gen-X'ers bought homes that they couldn't afford, and, in general, have lived beyond their means. It's the younger generation that want's what their parents have and they want it NOW.

You do realize that this massive downturn in the economy has had negative consequences for baby boomers, probably more than any other group, because they are so close to retirement, don't you? Did they purposely fuck themselves over?

Yes, and the people handing out the loans were probably baby boomers. As I said in the post you're responding to, stupidity is found in all generations, in relatively equal parts.

And the majority of baby boomers didn't screw themselves over... just a few key baby boomers (and various other generations I'm sure) in some key positions.

RobinsontoDuncan
08-27-2009, 01:13 PM
The millennial generation gives me quite a bit of hope

http://www.newpolitics.net/node/360?full_report=1

The millennial generation is highly engaged in civic life, and has a broader conception of communal responsibility and teamwork than any generation since the great depression. Volunteerism is at an all time high among millennial generation members, and it is a generation that is known to have a very healthy respect for institutional structures and parental/familial guidance.

The millennial generation is known for its tolerance, respect for diversity, and progressive politics.

What's so wrong with that?

FuzzyLumpkins
08-27-2009, 01:23 PM
I believe I already have...by piercing that bubble of causation when you laid the Vietnam war at the feet of the baby boomers whilst simultaneously ignoring gains in civil rights.
This is where critical thinking comes into play...not only examining conclusions from data sets, but the relations of conclusions to each other.
I'm an analyst by trade, and a musician by hobby. I swim in alot of ponds. On the back of my office door is a sign that reads "You don't know what you don't know." The analysts that report to me are sick of hearing it, but it serves us well.
You don't know jack. You just think that you do because it "seems" that some things are related. Until you can demonstrate that you can quantify these "influences" that the boomer are responsible for, then you are left with your opinion. Try stating it as that and you'll get a whole lot less guff and be a bit more intellectually honest to boot.
Alot of things happen for fuck-all reasons. Examine all of them before you spout off.

All you've proven is that certain segments that are on the blurred lines between generations. The civil rights act was passed in 1965. That was when the oldest of the baby boomers were in their very early twenties and the youngest were only two years old.

Despite this you have no issue with trying to take credit for it out of one side of your mouth and then claim it discredits the central point of my argument. You may be some sort of an analyst but you are very poor in argumentation. When you make two mutually exclusive arguments you discredit both.

Fast forward ten years to the waning years of Vietnam and there is no question what generation it was that was spitting on our soldiers as they were coming home.

Now some credit can be given for helping end the war but even that is a double edged sword. It was Nixon, Ford and the oh so wonderful Kissinger that got us out of the war. All of these were men that the BB tried their hardest in 1972 to oust in the form of McGovern. It didn't work

Furthermore, you tout being an analyst as being some source of authority on the subject and then claim I know nothing but I will bet $5 to a doughnut that you are a market analyst or of that ilk and that would give you no authority on this subject whatsoever.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-27-2009, 01:29 PM

Generation X is just getting its feet wet. How history will judge has yet to be determined despite our predecessors need to denigrate us from the very beginning.

That is why I have so much venom towards the baby boomers. I got very sick of hearing me and my brethren insulted as being lazy failures only to look around me and see a goddamn mess all the time.

I refuse to take part in the denigration of GenY. They have their own life to live and their own row to hoe. I will let history judge them and not count those chickens before they hatch.

LnGrrrR
08-27-2009, 01:44 PM
The millennial generation gives me quite a bit of hope

http://www.newpolitics.net/node/360?full_report=1

The millennial generation is highly engaged in civic life, and has a broader conception of communal responsibility and teamwork than any generation since the great depression. Volunteerism is at an all time high among millennial generation members, and it is a generation that is known to have a very healthy respect for institutional structures and parental/familial guidance.

The millennial generation is known for its tolerance, respect for diversity, and progressive politics.

What's so wrong with that?

Neat link on the Millenials, of which I am one, I guess. That or Gen Y. It's not like these are easily defined until much later.

I'm guessing that the majority of Millenials will stress civil liberties, and social tolerance/equality.

The two major factors that I think will set the millenials apart from other generations are being raised with the Internet, and of course, 9/11 and the fallout from that.

TeyshaBlue
08-27-2009, 02:35 PM
Despite this you have no issue with trying to take credit for it out of one side of your mouth and then claim it discredits the central point of my argument. You may be some sort of an analyst but you are very poor in argumentation. When you make two mutually exclusive arguments you discredit both.

Fast forward ten years to the waning years of Vietnam and there is no question what generation it was that was spitting on our soldiers as they were coming home.
OMG...and you think I have poor argumentation skills? Who do you think the soldiers were?
Can't have it both ways, junior.:lmao:lmao

Furthermore, you tout being an analyst as being some source of authority on the subject and then claim I know nothing but I will bet $5 to a doughnut that you are a market analyst or of that ilk and that would give you no authority on this subject whatsoever.

You would be wrong, yet again. I love doughnuts tho...so feel free to serve a few. :lol I ain't an authority on much of anything...never really said I was. Your blind hatred of boomers seems to be filling in some blanks for you. It doesn't take a room temperature IQ to discredit your conclusions. Hell, your byzantine construct of contradictions does that all by itself.:downspin:

TeyshaBlue
08-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Generation X is just getting its feet wet. How history will judge has yet to be determined despite our predecessors need to denigrate us from the very beginning.

That is why I have so much venom towards the baby boomers. I got very sick of hearing me and my brethren insulted as being lazy failures only to look around me and see a goddamn mess all the time.

I refuse to take part in the denigration of GenY. They have their own life to live and their own row to hoe. I will let history judge them and not count those chickens before they hatch.

ROFL @ you and your "brethren".:lmao:lmao:lmao

mookie2001
08-27-2009, 02:38 PM
i'm badass because of the year i was born in!

TeyshaBlue
08-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Neat link on the Millenials, of which I am one, I guess. That or Gen Y. It's not like these are easily defined until much later.

I'm guessing that the majority of Millenials will stress civil liberties, and social tolerance/equality.

The two major factors that I think will set the millenials apart from other generations are being raised with the Internet, and of course, 9/11 and the fallout from that.

I think the millenials will be, by far, the most progressive generation to date. I for one am looking forward to their accomplishments.:king

TeyshaBlue
08-27-2009, 02:40 PM
i'm badass because of the year i was born in!

Nah...like Chuck Norris, your birthyear is badass because you were born in it.:lol

SpurNation
08-27-2009, 02:42 PM

I don't know you or how you were raised...but I do know from experience that if you continue to place blame on a general group of people instead of taking owness for yourself regarding what you want to achieve...you live life focusing on things that will keep you from achieving your goals.

Every generation is going to have achievers, idiots, rich, poor, disfunctional and every adjective description for the people in that generation.

Baby Boomers, or any generation for that matter, is not going to ruin your life unless you allow it to happen. As I pointed out before...maybe my grandfather was a very wise person...he never believed (bought into) that Social Security was meant to be a means of retiring comfortably so he made investments and did other things during his life to secure his future for when he got old. But the wisest thing he EVER did was not live beyond his means and NEVER committed to a loan he could not pay.

Those decisions are serving him well now. He and my granmother don't have to live out the rest of their lives in a retirement home that sucks every last penny out of their hard earned savings. They still have the freedom to make their own decisions.

Extra Stout
08-27-2009, 03:32 PM
I did read a funny little vignette mocking the boomers.

Think about the dominant portrayal of the last six decades:

The 1950's were an era of cozy domesticity.
The 1960's were when sex was invented.
The 1970's were when everybody had chest hair, did lots of drugs, and had lots of sex.
The 1980's were when career development was important.
The 1990's were about the stock market, business in the tech revolution, and raising families.
The 2000's have been all about 401(k)'s, home equity, and the high cost of college.

Conclusion: The 2010's will be all about how wise and valuable the elderly are and how we should ensure they are cared for.

SnakeBoy
08-27-2009, 03:36 PM
he never believed (bought into) that Social Security was meant to be a means of retiring comfortably so he made investments and did other things during his life to secure his future for when he got old.

That the problem with alot of people. SS is just a safety net meant to keep people from dying in the streets when they're too old to work. It's amazing that our politicians are trying to get people to start spending again for short term gain when they should be encouraging everyone to start saving.

Extra Stout
08-27-2009, 04:44 PM
P.S. Re: "The millennial generation is so wonderful" narrative in the media.

The millenials are the children of the baby boomers.

"The millennial generation is so wonderful" = "Look at what a wonderful job we baby boomers did as parents!"

LnGrrrR
08-27-2009, 05:28 PM
P.S. Re: "The millennial generation is so wonderful" narrative in the media.

The millenials are the children of the baby boomers.

"The millennial generation is so wonderful" = "Look at what a wonderful job we baby boomers did as parents!"

I'm not sure if you referring to the Pew report, but it doesn't list millenials as 'wonderful' or anything. Just lists outcomes from polls and whatnot, and Pew seems pretty reliable to me.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-27-2009, 10:50 PM
I don't know you or how you were raised...but I do know from experience that if you continue to place blame on a general group of people instead of taking owness for yourself regarding what you want to achieve...you live life focusing on things that will keep you from achieving your goals.

Every generation is going to have achievers, idiots, rich, poor, disfunctional and every adjective description for the people in that generation.

Baby Boomers, or any generation for that matter, is not going to ruin your life unless you allow it to happen. As I pointed out before...maybe my grandfather was a very wise person...he never believed (bought into) that Social Security was meant to be a means of retiring comfortably so he made investments and did other things during his life to secure his future for when he got old. But the wisest thing he EVER did was not live beyond his means and NEVER committed to a loan he could not pay.

Those decisions are serving him well now. He and my granmother don't have to live out the rest of their lives in a retirement home that sucks every last penny out of their hard earned savings. They still have the freedom to make their own decisions.

Again you miss the point. I am not complaining about my situation or that of my family. I have no desire to get into specifics but unless there is a mass revolution or the US is conquered by another state I will be just fine.

All you ever keep talking about is your own little egocentric situation. I am glad that you and you're family are in a good position.

I am not pointing any one particular individual out. I am judging an entire demographic. When I say that we will all be better off when the baby boomers as a whole are out of positions of power and out of the voting block I am not talking about you or any other individual in question.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-27-2009, 10:57 PM
I am confused. maybe millennials and GenY are the same thing but generations are 20 year intervals. IOW

1944-1963 BB ages 46-65
1964-1983 GX ages 26-45
1984-2003 GY/M??? 6-25
2004-2023 ??? unborn-5

Now obviously things blur but that is the general guide line

SpurNation
08-28-2009, 08:26 AM
Again you miss the point. I am not complaining about my situation or that of my family. I have no desire to get into specifics but unless there is a mass revolution or the US is conquered by another state I will be just fine.

All you ever keep talking about is your own little egocentric situation. I am glad that you and you're family are in a good position.

I am not pointing any one particular individual out. I am judging an entire demographic. When I say that we will all be better off when the baby boomers as a whole are out of positions of power and out of the voting block I am not talking about you or any other individual in question.

I understand the point you are making. And I can agree with the generalization of your points nor am I dismissing the validity of them.

All I was doing in using my grandfather as an example is that we don't have to conform to a general demographic and we can survive beyond that which a general demographic might fall under.

I admire your passion for the obvious need for reform though our differences on how to achieve that goal are far apart. I am not for more government intervention in our lives as though we are a herd of cattle being forced to feed at the trough...injected with medicines that might have adverse effects to our lives...forcably made to contribute to federal programs that might not have anything to do with my or my families life.

I'm a huge proponent of state's rights and the tenth amendment. Sure...if law requires that we abide in a certain way then we as a people of this country must abide by those laws. But too often since the 1930's federal politics and intervention has been causing our problems to increase...not any one gender of people. And our politics are governed by a very small group compared to the mass populas.

If you or I believe in any obtainable goal I believe our freedom as individuals can uphold and make true those goals more so than having our freedom taken away in forcing any political agenda down our throats. From what I've seen over the past 40 years...we are a contry that is becoming farther and farther divided. Federal intervention is causing that divide and the founding principles of this nation warned of such controll and what it would eventually do to a nation.

I'll be long gone by the time the GenY's and Miliniums eventually take control of this country's future...I just fear for those generations if this nation stays the course of expanding government controll which will not allow us as individuals to have the options my grandfather once had while living his life.

rascal
08-28-2009, 08:35 AM
I am not saying that we should bus the baby boomers to death camps, but don't you think 80 million OLD ppl leaving the world in the next 10-20 years will lighten the burden the country is carrying?

No, because there will be even more people replacing them.

rascal
08-28-2009, 08:38 AM
:wow they are starting to drop like flies:

Percentage of USA Baby Boomers who are dead:
8.96490714 %

Total USA Baby Boomers left alive:
Seconds before the next USA Baby Boomer dies:

USA Baby Boomers died in last 24 hours:

Who is the .56 person. :lol

rascal
08-28-2009, 08:44 AM
the baby boomers were all fun loving hippies how can you hate them?

Not true. Most baby boomers were not hippies, that is an over blown fallacy.

coyotes_geek
08-28-2009, 09:17 AM

Joe Biden. He's technically alive, but isn't functioning at anything close to the mental capacity of a normal human being.

Wild Cobra
08-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Probably the fetus in the process of being killed.

Ooops... wrong years...

DarkReign
08-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Who gives a fuck? Generational interpretation is a field left for unemployed staticians with oodles of time and a lot less reason.

Here's a thought; it never mattered who was in the majority.

Woooo-hoooo!

Big thought, I know. The trick is, making people believe they have any control whatsoever. The course of this country has FAR more influences on it then the predominant voting bloc. You can make some interesting observations about each generation, this is true. But only observations, no conclusions. To observe implies "it already happened for me to see". Meaning, much too fucking late to do anything about.

Humans are fickle. Just because the country bought the gravy train on the backs of its unborn progeny, doesnt mean our dumbasses wont do the same damn thing if not worse (healthcare, stimulus packages, bailouts, etc).

Looking for someone or something else to blame is not exclusive to ANYONE. The world fucking over, humanity looks for scapegoats. This fact of the human condition is personified in every facet of human construction, whole countries to individual citizens. Japan hated (hates?) the Chinese, vice versa. USSR blames US, US blames USSR. Jews blame Arabs, Arabs blame Jews. Dems hate Repub, Repub hate Dems. Blame him, he blames you!

This isnt unique or more prounounced in some quasi-generational divide. Its being fucking human and the laws of an assembled crowd still apply.

Every generation since the beginning of time has been manipulated in some way or another, to differing degrees by different powers. Our country is one based on the aquisition of wealth, not birth-right or noble station like it used to be (and still is in other places). With a new national focus, new (and old) manipulative techniques and power structures spring to life in the name of the same causes with the same answers.

"Its not my fault, but this is how we fix it."

Whottt's right (pain to admit that)...the world needs to be depopulated. Until that day, we are stuck trying to figure out who fucked up and when. Even when it doesnt matter, even in a world in a competition with itself for limited resource.

Unless of course some brainiac perfects cold fusion or somehow derives limitless energy from water.

If that happens, depopulation isnt necessary.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Not true. Most baby boomers were not hippies, that is an over blown fallacy.

OTOH, the revers is true most hippies were BB.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Who gives a fuck? Generational interpretation is a field left for unemployed staticians with oodles of time and a lot less reason.

Here's a thought; it never mattered who was in the majority.

Woooo-hoooo!

Big thought, I know. The trick is, making people believe they have any control whatsoever. The course of this country has FAR more influences on it then the predominant voting bloc. You can make some interesting observations about each generation, this is true. But only observations, no conclusions. To observe implies "it already happened for me to see". Meaning, much too fucking late to do anything about.

Humans are fickle. Just because the country bought the gravy train on the backs of its unborn progeny, doesnt mean our dumbasses wont do the same damn thing if not worse (healthcare, stimulus packages, bailouts, etc).

Looking for someone or something else to blame is not exclusive to ANYONE. The world fucking over, humanity looks for scapegoats. This fact of the human condition is personified in every facet of human construction, whole countries to individual citizens. Japan hated (hates?) the Chinese, vice versa. USSR blames US, US blames USSR. Jews blame Arabs, Arabs blame Jews. Dems hate Repub, Repub hate Dems. Blame him, he blames you!

This isnt unique or more prounounced in some quasi-generational divide. Its being fucking human and the laws of an assembled crowd still apply.

Every generation since the beginning of time has been manipulated in some way or another, to differing degrees by different powers. Our country is one based on the aquisition of wealth, not birth-right or noble station like it used to be (and still is in other places). With a new national focus, new (and old) manipulative techniques and power structures spring to life in the name of the same causes with the same answers.

"Its not my fault, but this is how we fix it."

Whottt's right (pain to admit that)...the world needs to be depopulated. Until that day, we are stuck trying to figure out who fucked up and when. Even when it doesnt matter, even in a world in a competition with itself for limited resource.

Unless of course some brainiac perfects cold fusion or somehow derives limitless energy from water.

If that happens, depopulation isnt necessary.

If you are making policy decisions that subsume large demographics you are forced to take them into 'general interpretation. This of course is a big justification for decentralization but it is what it is.

Kori Ellis
08-28-2009, 05:19 PM
I am confused. maybe millennials and GenY are the same thing but generations are 20 year intervals. IOW

1944-1963 BB ages 46-65
1964-1983 GX ages 26-45
1984-2003 GY/M??? 6-25
2004-2023 ??? unborn-5

Yeah, Millennials and Gen Y are the same thing. But most people don't consider Gen X to be 20 years, closer to 15.

Something like:

1945-1964 - Baby Boomers
1965-1979 - Gen X
1980-2000 - Gen Y

LnGrrrR
08-28-2009, 07:33 PM

1944-1963 BB ages 46-65
1964-1983 GX ages 26-45
1984-2003 GY/M??? 6-25
2004-2023 ??? unborn-5

I think they've changed Gen X's numbers downward, to late 70's. Gen Y seems to be the same thing as "millenials".

Edit: Blah! Kori, you beat me to it.

mookie2001
08-28-2009, 07:37 PM
come on yall just looked that up on wiki, why would anyone know when gen x starts and gen y begins?

Last Comic Standing
08-29-2009, 04:03 PM
whats a baby boomer?

http://assets.babycenter.com/ims/2007/08aug/20070813/Baby_Massage1.jpghttp://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/richard_deitsch/08/29/boomer.qa/p1_esiason.jpg

nkdlunch
07-29-2011, 11:25 AM
http://www.boomerdeathcounter.com/

we are now at 10% fellas!!! :toast

CosmicCowboy
07-30-2011, 09:56 AM
LMAO at the ignorance of the OP.

Those hated working baby boomers are the ones currently paying a significant amount of the taxes.

All the generation Xers and later that are having babies like rabbits are in the 50% that don't pay taxes.

Just WAIT till THEY turn 18 and start voting.

All of you aging Generation Xers will have your liberal ideology crammed right up your ass.

Trainwreck2100
07-30-2011, 10:01 AM
LMAO at the ignorance of the OP.

Those hated working baby boomers are the ones currently paying a significant amount of the taxes.

All the generation Xers and later that are having babies like rabbits are in the 50% that don't pay taxes.

Just WAIT till THEY turn 18 and start voting.

All of you aging Generation Xers will have your liberal ideology crammed right up your ass.

you mean the ones bitching about not wanting to pay taxes

CosmicCowboy
07-30-2011, 10:06 AM
you mean the ones bitching about not wanting to pay taxes

The discussion has never been on whether to pay taxes or not. Everyone knows some taxes are required. It has been about what is a reasonable percentage of personal income for government to suck up, and what should be done when government starts spending irresponsibly.

boutons_deux
07-30-2011, 10:33 AM
"spending irresponsibly"

list the spending

CosmicCowboy
07-30-2011, 10:39 AM
I've already wasted two posts responding to you Bouton. I've reached my limit for the day.

boutons_deux
07-30-2011, 11:25 AM
typical chickenshit.

DarrinS
07-30-2011, 11:25 AM
It could create a lot of new jobs in the medical field, but I'm not sure how obamacare will affect that.

Winehole23
07-30-2011, 11:29 AM
obamneycare

scott
07-30-2011, 01:52 PM
I recommend the novel "Boomsday" by Christopher Buckley (author of "Thank You For Smoking" among others) for an entertaining look at the topic.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-30-2011, 03:30 PM
About 80% of the current Congress are Baby Boomers. But we cannot prove cause....

Need to look up the demographics of the Fortune 500 CEOs but I will bet its just as skewed.

Our leadership is a bunch of Baby Boomers and they are terrible. Worst generation since the one at the born at the end of the 19th and early 20th. Could end up much worse.

DarrinS
07-30-2011, 04:35 PM
About 80% of the current Congress are Baby Boomers. But we cannot prove cause....

Need to look up the demographics of the Fortune 500 CEOs but I will bet its just as skewed.

Our leadership is a bunch of Baby Boomers and they are terrible. Worst generation since the one at the born at the end of the 19th and early 20th. Could end up much worse.

The problem is they are a very large block of people leaving the work force and entering retirement -- NOT that they are some group of inherently evil people.

boutons_deux
07-30-2011, 04:35 PM
"Our leadership is a bunch of Baby Boomers and they are terrible"

As George Carlin said, paraphrasing "maybe something else besides politicians is fucked up around here. Maybe it's the voters who elected them"

That side steps the problem of UCA and capitalists only financing/buying the candidates they vet. 90% of the time, the candidate who spends the most wins.

And if baby boomers are so fucked up, then their parents of The Greatest Generation were shitty parents.

boutons_deux
07-30-2011, 04:37 PM
"The problem is they are a very large block of people leaving the work force and entering retirement"

Demographics plays a role but not a fatal one. Anybody who looks for it will find that Repugs doubled and tripled the deficit under St Ronnie and dubya, well before the Boomers started retiring.

DarrinS
07-30-2011, 04:50 PM
"The problem is they are a very large block of people leaving the work force and entering retirement"

Demographics plays a role but not a fatal one. Anybody who looks for it will find that Repugs doubled and tripled the deficit under St Ronnie and dubya, well before the Boomers started retiring.

P5yxFtTwDcc

boutons_deux
07-30-2011, 05:24 PM
The little youtube is typcially for right winger a total lie, but bubbas are so stupid they are easily lied to and duped.

The ballooning debt, the commitments to spending (2 botched Repug wars, Medicare Advantage, Part D, Repug TARP and bailout, etc) to spending, the Banksters' Great Depression were inherited from dubya, not caused by Barry.

When I asked what new debt Barry caused, I get silence.

DarrinS
07-30-2011, 05:33 PM
The little youtube is typcially for right winger a total lie

Data are unbiased

boutons_deux
07-30-2011, 06:01 PM
bullshit.

Yes, there is data the deficit went up in the Barry's first two years, but what policies did Barry INITIATE that caused the deficit to go up at all, and what policies did dubya enact that handed Barry a huge pile of stinkin shit?

DarrinS
07-30-2011, 06:31 PM
bullshit.

Yes, there is data the deficit went up in the Barry's first two years, but what policies did Barry INITIATE that caused the deficit to go up at all, and what policies did dubya enact that handed Barry a huge pile of stinkin shit?

:lol

boutons_deux
07-30-2011, 06:44 PM
I figured you'd chicken out, like CC

DarrinS
07-30-2011, 10:06 PM
I figured you'd chicken out, like CC

No chicken necessary. :lol

FuzzyLumpkins
07-31-2011, 12:53 AM
"Our leadership is a bunch of Baby Boomers and they are terrible"

As George Carlin said, paraphrasing "maybe something else besides politicians is fucked up around here. Maybe it's the voters who elected them"

That side steps the problem of UCA and capitalists only financing/buying the candidates they vet. 90% of the time, the candidate who spends the most wins.

And if baby boomers are so fucked up, then their parents of The Greatest Generation were shitty parents.

You could say the WW2 generations biggest failure was their children. I won't argue that. At the same time their handling of american policy overcoming the great depression, winning ww2 and ushering in a era of prosperity is undeniable.

The baby boomers have taken that legacy and systematically shit all over it.

As for the voters argument. they comprise about a third of voting block and upwards of half of those that actually vote. they vote in themselves and subsequently suck ass at policy leadership.

All those interest groups and major corporate conglomerates that finance those elections are run by baby boomers they pervade American society and make it shitty for the rest of us.

They cannot die off soon enough.

DarrinS
07-31-2011, 03:06 AM
You could say the WW2 generations biggest failure was their children. I won't argue that. At the same time their handling of american policy overcoming the great depression, winning ww2 and ushering in a era of prosperity is undeniable.

The baby boomers have taken that legacy and systematically shit all over it.

As for the voters argument. they comprise about a third of voting block and upwards of half of those that actually vote. they vote in themselves and subsequently suck ass at policy leadership.

All those interest groups and major corporate conglomerates that finance those elections are run by baby boomers they pervade American society and make it shitty for the rest of us.

Maybe we should make them wear stars on their clothing.

ChumpDumper
07-31-2011, 04:20 AM
Maybe we should make them wear stars on their clothing.Why?

FuzzyLumpkins
07-31-2011, 06:22 AM
Maybe we should make them wear stars on their clothing.

Chump brings up a good point. If you think the logical conclusion from my points it that you should kill off an entire demographic then you are one seriously fucked up individual.

boutons_deux
07-31-2011, 06:41 AM
"they pervade American society and make it shitty for the rest of us."

and do you really think the BBs' children, "the rest of us" which I guess includes your own superior self, will be any different? how different? and why would they be superior than their parents?

FuzzyLumpkins
07-31-2011, 07:03 AM
"they pervade American society and make it shitty for the rest of us."

and do you really think the BBs' children, "the rest of us" which I guess includes your own superior self, will be any different? how different? and why would they be superior than their parents?

They could hardly be any worse. There is no guarantee in anything but different holds better odds than shitty.

boutons_deux
07-31-2011, 07:13 AM
aka, cop out

then randomly different could just a well mean more shitty. There's no guarantee that the "rest of us" would do any better, or any ANY impact at all

What specifically would "the rest of us" simply luck out and do less shittily compared to the shitty BBs?

FuzzyLumpkins
07-31-2011, 07:33 AM
aka, cop out

then randomly different could just a well mean more shitty. There's no guarantee that the "rest of us" would do any better, or any ANY impact at all

What specifically would "the rest of us" simply luck out and do less shittily compared to the shitty BBs?

Thats not a copout. you need to learn what the meaning of a copout is. I directly addressed your question.

The performance of our leadership over the past 30 years has been as bad or worse than the performance during the period of 1900 to 1930. The 1990s reek of the 1920s.

Whats funny is that you more than likely fully supported the DNC's notion of change in the 2008 election and here and now you reject the same idea but under a different paradigm.

You think that the DNC who you constantly fellate like a good minion is somehow different than their counterpart. What i see is a consistent policy as a particular generation entered the power structure over the same period.

You see it across industries and government.

Looking over the course of history, its people aged 40 to 60 that dominate the leadership positions. The baby boomers are a very distinct generation and over the last 30 years, they fit that description.

I am not saying that we should target them for excision but what i am saying is that as the oldest of that generation enter their 70s and leave the power structure that things are going to get better.

the incoming generation are noted for their altruism and more importantly a disillusionment with the entire political process and party identification. They were the ones that flocked to the idea of change precisely because of it.

The generation of failure is leaving the power structure and that is a good thing.

boutons_deux
07-31-2011, 08:07 AM
"change in the 2008 election"

.. for me it was just ANYTHING BUT MORE CRIMINAL, IGNORANT, BAD-FAITH DESTRUCTIVE REPUGS

I never believed a guy at the top of his class at Harvard fucking Law and editor of the HLS paper was a radical, a socialist, Muslim terrorist. All he was for me was not a Repug.

"generation of failure is leaving the power structure and that is a good thing."

The power structure, Repug or Dem, is nothing but a proxy for the real (financial) power UCA and capitalists. Without the UCA/financial funds and support, the majority of candidates are dead in the water. UCA/financial don't have to own everybody in Congress and the Exec, just enough to kill legislation and regulations, just enough majority to pass what they want. The Power of No gives extraordinary power to minorities, like one senator secretly putting a hold on any item, or 20 tea bagger assholes holding all the power in the House to keep the Repugs from dreaded "compromise".

The post-Boomer generation in power will be just as corrupt and paralyzed as the Boomers because that what the UCA/capitalists pay for.

EVAY
07-31-2011, 09:41 AM
Thats not a copout. you need to learn what the meaning of a copout is. I directly addressed your question.

The performance of our leadership over the past 30 years has been as bad or worse than the performance during the period of 1900 to 1930. The 1990s reek of the 1920s.

Whats funny is that you more than likely fully supported the DNC's notion of change in the 2008 election and here and now you reject the same idea but under a different paradigm.

You think that the DNC who you constantly fellate like a good minion is somehow different than their counterpart. What i see is a consistent policy as a particular generation entered the power structure over the same period.

You see it across industries and government.

Looking over the course of history, its people aged 40 to 60 that dominate the leadership positions. The baby boomers are a very distinct generation and over the last 30 years, they fit that description.

I am not saying that we should target them for excision but what i am saying is that as the oldest of that generation enter their 70s and leave the power structure that things are going to get better.

the incoming generation are noted for their altruism and more importantly a disillusionment with the entire political process and party identification. They were the ones that flocked to the idea of change precisely because of it.

The generation of failure is leaving the power structure and that is a good thing.

Fuzzy, Reading this last post of yours and reading the OP leave one with dramatically different interpretations of your position. The thread title references the death of baby boomers as the solution to the nation's ills.

After several pages of challenges, your position has changed to say that this BB generation is similar to that of the 1900-1930's, and that as soon as they retire from positions of power and influence, things will improve in the nation. That is wholly different than the earlier suggestion that it is the requirement that the young pay all the SS and medicare bills for a generation of greedy dead-beats that has us in a financial crisis now.

So, either you want us all dead ( manifestly implied in your OP), at which point Darrin's point about having us wear a star on our clothes makes some sense, or you just want us no longer making policy decisions for the nation in favor of a generation that you are convinced is already showing itself to be superior to the BB generation. I must also point out, as have others, that we raised your generation.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-31-2011, 05:28 PM
"change in the 2008 election"

.. for me it was just ANYTHING BUT MORE CRIMINAL, IGNORANT, BAD-FAITH DESTRUCTIVE REPUGS

I never believed a guy at the top of his class at Harvard fucking Law and editor of the HLS paper was a radical, a socialist, Muslim terrorist. All he was for me was not a Repug.

"generation of failure is leaving the power structure and that is a good thing."

The power structure, Repug or Dem, is nothing but a proxy for the real (financial) power UCA and capitalists. Without the UCA/financial funds and support, the majority of candidates are dead in the water. UCA/financial don't have to own everybody in Congress and the Exec, just enough to kill legislation and regulations, just enough majority to pass what they want. The Power of No gives extraordinary power to minorities, like one senator secretly putting a hold on any item, or 20 tea bagger assholes holding all the power in the House to keep the Repugs from dreaded "compromise".

The post-Boomer generation in power will be just as corrupt and paralyzed as the Boomers because that what the UCA/capitalists pay for.

I get so tired of listening to your spouting of DNC rhetoric. You are such a mindless partisan minion.

There is one consistent in the leadership of all those groups you mentioned. Also, as I have mentioned there is one consistent demographic across all of them.

boutons_deux
07-31-2011, 06:23 PM
so you won't answer why, how the BBs' children will "CHANGE" or maybe even, gasp!, fixt the govt and society so totally dominated by the UCA and capitalists. OK, fuck off, tired one.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-31-2011, 06:24 PM
Fuzzy, Reading this last post of yours and reading the OP leave one with dramatically different interpretations of your position. The thread title references the death of baby boomers as the solution to the nation's ills.

I didnt write the OP. The two positions are not mutually exclusive. The notion that the baby boomers disproportionately sap our nations resources and that they use their majority and seniority to consolidate power resulting in the worst policy decisions within the last 100 years are not mutually exclusive.

After several pages of challenges, your position has changed to say that this BB generation is similar to that of the 1900-1930's, and that as soon as they retire from positions of power and influence, things will improve in the nation. That is wholly different than the earlier suggestion that it is the requirement that the young pay all the SS and medicare bills for a generation of greedy dead-beats that has us in a financial crisis now.

Again, i did not write the OP. The arguments that you think i changed to were actually developed in a response to a litany of articles all by baby boomers who have taken everything from social awkwardness manifesting in a preference to texting to trends like piercing to label subsequent generations as unfit and undesirable.

My point in response to that has been to evaluate the actual policy and legacy of the generation from which all of these criticisms have derived. The proof in the pudding so to speak.

What do you think of the direction of this country since the 1980s?

That that policy is going to further serve to fuck those that come behind in clearly outlined economic manner only serves to reinforce that point.

So, either you want us all dead ( manifestly implied in your OP), at which point Darrin's point about having us wear a star on our clothes makes some sense, or you just want us no longer making policy decisions for the nation in favor of a generation that you are convinced is already showing itself to be superior to the BB generation. I must also point out, as have others, that we raised your generation.

While I will certainly agree with the notion that once the baby boom generation has died off that the country will be in better shape, I do not agree that killing millions of people is the solution.

It is not surprising to me that one of your generation would find the logical conclusion of seeing a better end to be to force the realization of said end no matter the cost. Its the same trian of thought that has led our culture into the 'I will gladly pay you tuesday for a hamburger today' mentality that we have todya.

Quite frankly, quit being a bitch. No one is saying that you need to die. If someone were to start advocating killing off any demographic i would put my life on the line to stop it. I respect your life as an individual. At the same time that does not mitigate the fact that the collective from whence you came has and will continue to be a drag on this country.

Furthermore, you guys keep on bringing up the entire parenting issue. I have heard blame trying to be passed onto the WW2 generation for raising you as well as citing you 'raising us.' Take responsibility for your own fucking actions. The WW2 generation did not cause that anymore than you cause those who follow you into action.

On a final note, want to point out something that i find quite humorous. To all of you that complain that you were fired and replaced by a younger person, I can only laugh. You could take less money but you are not willing to do that. Merit should not have to be based on seniority. Yet, a system of such expectations personified by labor action from groups once again headed by baby boomers over the last 30 years has formalized such expectations. You are only a victim of your own institutions.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-31-2011, 06:36 PM
so you won't answer why, how the BBs' children will "CHANGE" or maybe even, gasp!, fixt the govt and society so totally dominated by the UCA and capitalists. OK, fuck off, tired one.

Let me give you an evidence of social change as subsequent generations enter the power structure has been the evolution of drug laws. Now that you see weakening of drug laws and attempts at legalization. The current establishment is trying to cling to it but as they die off things will change.

Quite frankly, if you cannot understand how the overturn of 1/3 of the population will result in dramatic social change then you're an idiot. Considering you supposed ideology, that you use fear of the unknown to attempt to justify the status quo only serves to reinforce the notion that you are just a mindlessly partisan minion.

Have fun continuing to support your one-half of failure.

DarrinS
07-31-2011, 07:11 PM
Baby boomers: Apple, Microsoft, Oracle

GenX: Google

GenY: Facebook :lmao

FuzzyLumpkins
07-31-2011, 07:36 PM
Baby boomers: Apple, Microsoft, Oracle

GenX: Google

GenY: Facebook :lmao

Are you really trying to espouse Apple and Microsoft as examples of good business practices?

Now they may very well have done it because of market insecurity but IBM an institution that I find superior to all of them and most definitely did not come from baby boomers, licensed out the chip dev, OS and output of PC's to intel, MS and epson respectively. That literally created a diverse competitive industry.

The baby boomers in the form of MS took that and tried to monopolize it all for themselves which is yet again another realization of the ethic they live by. MS after all that was forced to give out source code which spurred industry through no intent of their own.

boutons_deux
07-31-2011, 07:39 PM
"current establishment is trying to cling to it"

bullshit. Congressmen won't touch medicial marijuana, never mind legalization. That's the centuries old Puritanism and intimidation by the minority of "Christian" Taleban. And the PIC is also in there paying against legalization since so many 10s of 1000s in the mj business get arrested (police quota) and locked up($20K+ month). Do you really think 25 - 30 year old cops of today are gonna change that? Are post-Boomer Congressmen, ENOUGH of them, will legalize medical or all mj?

"1/3 of the population will result in dramatic social change then you're an idiot"

It has to be enough post-Boomers a) give a shit about politics to and b) vote in the progressive direction AND get enough legislators elected. iow, a LONG WAY from 1/3 total number will actually vote at all and vote to overturn BB laws.

UCA + capitalists run this country now. Bankers have since the Fed was created. UCA ascendancy in the past 35 years is due to VRWC objectives to get in their with the banker to vampire-squid suck the wealth of the country. Post-Boomers ain't gonna change that. In fact, their best and brightest are getting vacuumed up the the financial sector to that criminal enterprise going.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-31-2011, 07:47 PM
"current establishment is trying to cling to it"

bullshit. Congressmen won't touch medicial marijuana, never mind legalization. That's the centuries old Puritanism and intimidation by the minority of "Christian" Taleban. And the PIC is also in there paying against legalization since so many 10s of 1000s in the mj business get arrested (police quota) and locked up($20K+ month). Do you really think 25 - 30 year old cops of today are gonna change that? Are post-Boomer Congressmen, ENOUGH of them, will legalize medical or all mj?

Social change is on all levels but more to the point what have i been saying of the composition of the congresspeople that you keep saying won't touch it?

"1/3 of the population will result in dramatic social change then you're an idiot"

It has to be enough post-Boomers a) give a shit about politics to and b) vote in the progressive direction AND get enough legislators elected. iow, a LONG WAY from 1/3 total number will actually vote at all and vote to overturn BB laws.

UCA + capitalists run this country now. Bankers have since the Fed was created. UCA ascendancy in the past 35 years is due to VRWC objectives to get in their with the banker to vampire-squid suck the wealth of the country. Post-Boomers ain't gonna change that. In fact, their best and brightest are getting vacuumed up the the financial sector to that criminal enterprise going.

You really have no conception of anything other than dualism in a political framework. Thats whats great about those that are going to have to clean up your mess. they are not limited to such paradigms.

you also seem to mistake lack of party identification with disinterest in policy.

You are well programmed.

Winehole23
07-31-2011, 08:33 PM
xSnLU9nyFSA
Renewal!

ElNono
07-31-2011, 08:35 PM
I agree we need more Albert Einsteins rather than marketing and businessmen people like Steve Jobs, Bill Gates and Larry Ellison.

Winehole23
07-31-2011, 08:37 PM
XsoqKkI9yds

Winehole23
07-31-2011, 08:42 PM
I doubt things will magically get better when more boomers kick off.

Winehole23
07-31-2011, 08:52 PM
I also tend to doubt one's identity is significantly derived from his birthdate. This particular feature of FL's jeremiad against boomers strikes me as being akin to astrology in it's vaporous relationship to the subject matter.

Winehole23
07-31-2011, 09:07 PM
Sounds exactly like the 2nd and 3rd rate sociology and anthropology that were au courant 10 and 15 years ago. The glib determinism of generation sounds little better now then it does then.

(Or if it does, we all got stupider in the meantime...)

Winehole23
07-31-2011, 09:14 PM
Sociology and anthropology are no more sciences than economics and psychology in my conceited opinion.

ElNono
07-31-2011, 09:22 PM
I also tend to doubt one's identity is significantly derived from his birthdate.

True, you're always an asshole... :lol

DarrinS
07-31-2011, 09:38 PM
I also tend to doubt one's identity is significantly derived from his birthdate. This particular feature of FL's jeremiad against boomers strikes me as being akin to astrology in it's vaporous relationship to the subject matter.

WH, you may be shocked by this, but I agree w you 100%.

Lumping an entire generation of people together and labeling them a cancer on our society is the height of ignorance. There are too many examples of people who are just the opposite. By the way, Reagan and Bush Sr. Are not BB and Clinton and GWB are on the fringe of not being BB.

ElNono
07-31-2011, 09:45 PM
I just don't think it's a generational thing... so in that point I agree with WH and DS... I frankly have a hard time thinking that's what's coming from the political arena is much different than the current version...

Winehole23
07-31-2011, 09:45 PM
True, you're always an asshole... :lolReliability should count for something, but it's a tough crowd.:toast

Winehole23
07-31-2011, 11:52 PM

Lumping an entire generation of people together and labeling them a cancer on our society is the height of ignorance.Everybody's got an asshole and a birthday.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-01-2011, 04:48 AM

Do you doubt that one's identities were not at least in part derived by the experiences that they grew up in. If two people experience many of the same things growing up in the same environment would it not make sense that they share similar interests. Even in things as basic as curiosity about the kennedy assassination or Ed Sullivan?

Capt Bringdown
08-01-2011, 04:52 AM
Making character/value judgments based on the calendar = Making character/value judgments based on race, religion, gender, hair color, etc.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-01-2011, 04:53 AM

Lumping an entire generation of people together and labeling them a cancer on our society is the height of ignorance. There are too many examples of people who are just the opposite. By the way, Reagan and Bush Sr. Are not BB and Clinton and GWB are on the fringe of not being BB.

I didn't lump them all together. Its called finding trends within a demographic. Advertisers and political pollsters do it all the time with great success.

There is a difference between saying that there are a of people aged 45 who smoke and saying you smoke because you are 45. Of course its not a homogenous group, dipshit.

The only ignorance here is your lack of ability to differentiate between holistic and reductionist analysis.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-01-2011, 05:10 AM
Making character/value judgments based on the calendar = Making character/value judgments based on race, religion, gender, hair color, etc.

Its called ageism.

So you cannot say that black americans are likely to vote democratic?
or that christian is likely to be married?

Despite all my vitriol, what i am saying is that baby boomer americans are likely to pass certain types of policies and lead in certain ways.

the issue here is that I have not fleshed it out enough and people like boutons and darrin and annoy the piss out of me so I go off.

What I need to do is categorize the various legislation over the last 30 years and track voting records to analyze on the basis of generation. As a control I could look at other time periods and analyze the same relative by age.

I actually would be surprised if that had not already been done. I need to look.

boutons_deux
08-01-2011, 05:42 AM
"boutons .... annoy the piss out of me"

great, then my message is getting through, but obviously you distort it and conclude horribly wrongly my positions.

tension between the generations is ancient. Most people tend to become more conservative as they age, as they find out the idealism and principles of their youth run up against the inertia and immovability of society. They realize they have to make a living, pay the bills, and get bought off and compromised.

There's nothing unique about the boomer generation. I expect had the Boomers lived through the Depression and WWII they'd be no different from their parents, and same with their parents had they grown up in the 1950s - 70s.

Anyway, that UCA and capitalists now have unprecedented power to own and direct govt and USA. It's an old story, going back the FFs, and not only in USA.

The post-Boomers can't and won't do a fucking thing about takng that power back and reducing the destructive, impoverishing, dispiriting wealth inequality.

The kleptocratic plutocracy, intelligent, aggressive, sophisticated, hidden behind proxies, enabled by fat, igorant, diseased, disengaged, duped Human-Americans, has its jackboot on the lower 95%'s necks, and it won't let up. The plutocrats are celebrating how they've totally totally won every point with this shitty debt deal, costing them not a penny, while continuing to crush everybody else.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-01-2011, 05:52 AM
"boutons .... annoy the piss out of me"

great, then my message is getting through, but obviously you distort it and conclude horribly wrongly my positions.

tension between the generations is ancient. Moste people tend to become more conservative as they age, as they find out the idealism and principles of their youth runs up against the inertia and immovability of society. They realize they have to make a living, pay the bills, and get bought off and compromised.

So thats the excuse for your generations abandonment of ideals? You were bought off?

Well it certainly seems the purchasing price was big and open ended.

boutons_deux
08-01-2011, 06:32 AM
Excuse? no, explanation (which is not mine), yes. Everybody's got a price.

People who stand up to power, you get crushed in nearly every case, and I'm not talking about physical violence. eg, whisteblowers, women raped by KBR or DSK, Daniel Ellsberg, etc, etc.

You don't have to commit a crime (unless you really want to get to the top), you just have to keep your head down, STFU, and let the others commit their crimes.

boutons_deux
08-01-2011, 07:39 AM
8 Reasons Young Americans Don't Fight Back: How the US Crushed Youth Resistance

1. Student-Loan Debt.

2. Psychopathologizing and Medicating Noncompliance.

3. Schools That Educate for Compliance and Not for Democracy.

4. “No Child Left Behind” and “Race to the Top.”

5. Shaming Young People Who Take Education—But Not Their Schooling—Seriously.

6. The Normalization of Surveillance.

7. Television.

8. Fundamentalist Religion and Fundamentalist Consumerism

http://www.alternet.org/module/printversion/151850

Winehole23
08-01-2011, 08:52 AM
I didn't lump them all together. Its called finding trends within a demographic. I love how you manage to be grandiose and trite at the same time. Have you been taking lessons from Darrin?

Winehole23
08-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Also, calling your crass quasi-sociological generalizations holism, courts hilarity.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-01-2011, 11:42 AM
I love how you manage to be grandiose and trite at the same time. Have you been taking lessons from Darrin?

Also, calling your crass quasi-sociological generalizations holism, courts hilarity.

Trite on what basis? Trite to people that read polling data? Guess you got me.

If you disagree then fine but this smarmy sarcasm routine that fails to actually address much less contest a thing is pretty lame.

Whats really awesome is that you try to demean my diction and you have been bringing up anthropology and now making up ship like quasi-sociological which in and of itself a generalization.

What else am I supposed to call it when I look at the actions of a voting block or an entire generation? Reductionism and holism is just an approach and nothing more. Holism gets all this mumbo jumbo spiritualism attached to it all the time. Thats not me.

Are you really going to disagree that baby boomers especially the white male ones are a voting block that tends to vote as a block on many issues? I mean you see them being appealed to in advertising and political campaigns everywhere?

But wait you don't want to have a discussion you want to take the weak little yippy dog routine barking shrilly from the sideline.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Excuse? no, explanation (which is not mine), yes. Everybody's got a price.

People who stand up to power, you get crushed in nearly every case, and I'm not talking about physical violence. eg, whisteblowers, women raped by KBR or DSK, Daniel Ellsberg, etc, etc.

You don't have to commit a crime (unless you really want to get to the top), you just have to keep your head down, STFU, and let the others commit their crimes.

No just you have a price. Now you could force me to do something through pain or threat of pain but I just would not do anything for money.

If you do not believe me then fine but I found the actions of particular Japanese citizens in the face of disaster to be heartening to the possibilities of the human spirit.

I actually have always disliked this idea that getting rid of your ideals is just a right of passage to adulthood. It just sounds like a copout.

Winehole23
08-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Are you really going to disagree that baby boomers especially the white male ones are a voting block that tends to vote as a block on many issues?who's trapped in political dualism now? :rollin

DarrinS
08-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Are you really going to disagree that baby boomers especially the white male ones are a voting block that tends to vote as a block on many issues? I mean you see them being appealed to in advertising and political campaigns everywhere?

See, now you are onto something. It's not just the boomers, but the white, male boomers that are truly evil.

Alrightythen.

Winehole23
08-01-2011, 12:04 PM
I know how you really love the deep talks around here, Fuzzy. I'm not sorry to have left you deprived on that count. TeyshaBlue pretty much demolished you upstream.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-01-2011, 12:44 PM
who's trapped in political dualism now? :rollin

How is that dualism. they can vote however they want. Where is the one or-the-other dynamic here.

Winehole23
08-01-2011, 12:45 PM
I thought you were trying to tease out significant trends. My bad.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-01-2011, 12:48 PM
I know how you really love the deep talks around here, Fuzzy. I'm not sorry to have left you deprived on that count. TeyshaBlue pretty much demolished you upstream.

Now the, 'I support the previous argument and have none of my own' argument. What was the demolition and please be specific.?

And this routine is old. Taking pop shots like 'quasi-sociology' and then not at least standing by them is intellectual cowardice.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-01-2011, 12:50 PM
See, now you are onto something. It's not just the boomers, but the white, male boomers that are truly evil.

Alrightythen.

I never said they were evil. Id di say that as a whole they dominate the political and economic landscape and their lawmaking and administration as a whole is counterproductive.

Go enter some code for your boss.

Winehole23
08-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Call it whatever you like, but do please continue ranting. I stand by my PFA comments.

Winehole23
08-01-2011, 12:51 PM
(yawn)

FuzzyLumpkins
08-01-2011, 12:52 PM
I thought you were trying to tease out significant trends. My bad.

I never used the term tease. Now you are just building strawman mischaracterizations to try and speak sarcastically about them.

Its not even argument. Its you being butthurt and having now way to come up with an intelligent replay to what i am saying.

EVAY
08-01-2011, 12:53 PM
You could say the WW2 generations biggest failure was their children.

We're getting there, Fuzzy, we're getting there. After I posted yesterday my husband collapsed and I took him to the little hospital up here...he will probably be okay for now. But both of us have made out living wills and medical directives that insist on no heroic measures being taken in case of extreme difficulty. Neither of us wants to prolong death under the ruse of prolonging life.

So, while we are not getting out of the way as fast as some would like, we are getting there...just give it a little time until the post-BB utopia envelopes America.

And the best of luck to all of you.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Call it whatever you like, but do please continue ranting. I stand by my PFA comments.

I am not ranting. i ranted last night. Now I am asking you to qualify your responses and you won't. You are just trying to make a tit for tat pissing match rather than actually discuss what my rants actually said.

Its do like that I have several board baby boomers with their panties firmly up their ass crack.

Winehole23
08-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Now you are just building strawman mischaracterizations to try and speak sarcastically about them.The connection of what you have been saying to sociology and demography and so forth, is transparently bogus. Hence quasi-...

Winehole23
08-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Its do like that I have several board baby boomers with their panties firmly up their ass crack.My what a salty imagination you have.

(I'm not a boomer btw. By your phony baloney approximation of sociology, I count as a GenerationX-er.)

FuzzyLumpkins
08-01-2011, 01:04 PM
We're getting there, Fuzzy, we're getting there. After I posted yesterday my husband collapsed and I took him to the little hospital up here...he will probably be okay for now. But both of us have made out living wills and medical directives that insist on no heroic measures being taken in case of extreme difficulty. Neither of us wants to prolong death under the ruse of prolonging life.

So, while we are not getting out of the way as fast as some would like, we are getting there...just give it a little time until the post-BB utopia envelopes America.

And the best of luck to all of you.

Sorry to hear that bout your husband. Really am. My father, a baby boomer himself, died a couple of years ago. I hope your husband is okay.

I know the pain of personal loss and because of the inflammatory nature of my response it probably hit quite home. I am sorry for that.

At the same time there is a reality to the composition of the US population and electorate. I really do need to dampen the rhetoric. I really am sorry especially if you are going through shit like that.

I sat there and watched for 3 days my father die after a brain aneurysm last year. not fun.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-01-2011, 01:05 PM
My what a salty imagination you have.

(I'm not a boomer btw. By your phony baloney approximation of sociology, I count as a GenerationX-er.)

Did I ever characterize it as sociology? Keep building those strawmen, chachi.

You are doing quite well on the derail I will give you that.

Winehole23
08-01-2011, 01:07 PM
What got derailed? Your petty points of etiquette, while you defend shitting on baby boomers indiscriminately?

FuzzyLumpkins
08-01-2011, 01:09 PM
The connection of what you have been saying to sociology and demography and so forth, is transparently bogus. Hence quasi-...

I said demographic.

What you are doing is taking something like me saying 'water being wet is a physical property.' And then you characterize it as me claiming something on the basis of physics.

You are trying to pigeonhole me and failing at your strawman.

Try again.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-01-2011, 01:10 PM
What got derailed? Your petty points of etiquette, while you defend shitting on baby boomers indiscriminately?

I can't hear you over all the crying. Can you speak up?

Winehole23
08-01-2011, 01:13 PM
I said demographic.Don't strain anything patting yourself on the back. :lol

FuzzyLumpkins
08-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Don't strain anything patting yourself on the back. :lol

More intellectual cowardice. I can go back and forth with you all day long. Well at least for the next 5 minutes. :)

Winehole23
08-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Anyway, your smug and disdainful version of the uber-hackneyed "demography is destiny" harangue, did not satisfy. Going by your posts in this thread mostly it is a threadbare polemic with a sincere hand waving relationship to its own evidence.

Winehole23
08-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Was there any evidence, or did Fuzzy spin it out of his own head?

FuzzyLumpkins
08-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Anyway, your preening and half-literate version of the hoary old "demography is destiny" harangue did not satisfy. Going by your posts in this thread mostly it is a threadbare polemic with a sincere hand waving relationship to its own evidence.

More pigeonholing. "Demograpgy is destiny" is your polemic that you are trying to apply to this discussion. Its not cogent.

I heave repeatedly stated that being a baby boomer does not necessitate that an individual who is a baby boomer will exhibit those traits. If you want to say that every individual is a snowflake and that holisitc analysis of a group does not reveal any truths that is fine.

Be a staunch reductionist.

But you do not even have the intellectual courage to do that. You just make overarching judgements that cite no particulars just general whining.

Try again.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Was there any evidence, or did Fuzzy spin it out of his own head?

Talk to me in the third person, now that nice.

As i sated before the composition of the US congress has been at least 80% baby boomer for the last 20 years.

I was going to start going through the CEO's of the DOW and S&P firms as well as various state legislatures and governorships and municipality posts.

Its still a hypothesis but my hypothesis is that the vast majority of those positions. Concurrently I will look at the voting records of those individuals.

As I said from there look for trends.

I certainly have not prevent the hypothesis but at the same token your little grandstanding serving as judgement has done nothing to discredit the notion either.

Winehole23
08-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Talk to me in the third person, now that nice.You mistake me. There are other posters here. It's not all about you.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-01-2011, 01:45 PM
You mistake me. There are other posters here. It's not all about you.