PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Bowen and wife involved in confrontation at local spa

SpursZone
08-25-2009, 06:05 PM
Reported by: Jacqueline Ortiz (http://www.woai.com/content/bios/story.aspx?content_id=c52ac164-652b-4623-b2ca-56bbb9931af4)
Email: [email protected] ([email protected])
Last Update: 5:42 pm

SAN ANTONIO -- Former San Antonio Spur Bruce Bowen and his wife were involved in a confrontation at a local spa Tuesday.

The incident happened around 11:00 a.m. at the Oasis Salon and Spa at the corner of Loop 1604 and Huebner on the Far North Side. Sources say Bruce Bowen and his wife showed up at the salon and confronted two former employees over a client list the Bowens claim was stolen from their spa, Yardley's Salon & Spa. The two employees quit Yardley's and then leased space at the Oasis.

A customer, who was an eyewitness but didn't want to be identified, told News 4 WOAI once the Bowens were inside the salon, Bruce was cussing, and his wife was making threats, saying she was going to harass clients every day.

Bruce Bowen didn't mention all of that when he Tweeted about the incident Tuesday.

Bowen wrote:

"Breaking Newshttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2.gif (http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/Bruce-Bowen-and-wife-involved-in-confrontation-at/-QctW0x1CU63CuKdxN4siw.cspx#)! I saw my former employees today...and no they weren't excited to see me and the Mrs. they didn't want to talk...WHY?"

Bowen's wife told police the former workers took their client list. Bruce Bowen made the same accusations on Twitterhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2.gif (http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/Bruce-Bowen-and-wife-involved-in-confrontation-at/-QctW0x1CU63CuKdxN4siw.cspx#), writing,

"Former employees are recruiting clients from Yardley's to Oasis. They STOLE the list from our spa!

Bowen also wrote,

"I have no problem with people bettering themselves. They came to our Spa with ZERO CLIENTS! and this is how they treat us?"

No charges have been filed in the case. However, police reports state Yardley Bowen intends to contact her attorney.

ashbeeigh
08-25-2009, 06:21 PM
:wow I was reading the tweets and thought those girls were bitches, but seriously you went to their salon? Way to be a pro dude.

exstatic
08-25-2009, 06:33 PM
:wow I was reading the tweets and thought those girls were bitches, but seriously you went to their salon? Way to be a pro dude.

I'd confront someone who stole from me, too. House? Out of bounds. Business? Fair game.

PaulGreco
08-25-2009, 06:40 PM
WOW...this is an interesting story. Would love to hear what Bruce has to say in front of a mic.

--PG

SA210
08-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Just bring him back!

:pop::pctoss

PM5K
08-25-2009, 06:48 PM
You thought The Rash would just let it go?

I totally agree with whatever he did, threats included. You can't just steal other people's money and get away with it and customers are money.

Stringer_Bell
08-25-2009, 06:54 PM
I love Bruce, but what exactly is the goal of confronting someone that stole your contact list? He could have contacted a lawyer or contacted his customers to let them know that their contact list was stolen by former employees. I can't imagine any good that can come out of making a scene at the former employee's new work place.

That said, stealing is stealing and those chicks are just upset they are getting called out for it.

Cry Havoc
08-25-2009, 06:58 PM
I love Bruce, but what exactly is the goal of confronting someone that stole your contact list? He could have contacted a lawyer or contacted his customers to let them know that their contact list was stolen by former employees. I can't imagine any good that can come out of making a scene at the former employee's new work place.

That said, stealing is stealing and those chicks are just upset they are getting called out for it.

Perhaps Bowen and his wife just wanted to talk to them first and it quickly spiraled out of control?

You've got a point though. Yelling at them solves nothing.

PM5K
08-25-2009, 07:06 PM
Yelling at them solves nothing.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there buddy, while they might not have anticipated this, the story is now on the local news and being talked about by a lot of people, do you think any of those clients won't know about what happened now?

InRareForm
08-25-2009, 07:13 PM
in this economy, you gotta protect your assets. Bowen has the green light for this for sure.

Pistons < Spurs
08-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Pretty messed up they stole their clients. Doesn't sound like Bruce and the little lady chose a very good way of dealing with it though.

PM5K
08-25-2009, 08:06 PM
contacted his customers

They stole the list bitch, how the fuck is he supposed to contact them?

Drachen
08-25-2009, 08:09 PM
He is just trying to DEFEND his client list. Those girls may have gotten a steal on him, but he is just going to harass the hell out of them, get all up in their jerseys, until he achieves success.

SpursZone
08-25-2009, 08:16 PM
More on Twitter.

http://twitter.com/#search?q=bowen12

DPG21920
08-25-2009, 08:19 PM
How the hell can they steal his clients? It is not like these clients forgot where the damn spa was. Also, do they not back up their client list if they are so vital? Damn.

phyzik
08-25-2009, 09:13 PM
How the hell can they steal his clients? It is not like these clients forgot where the damn spa was. Also, do they not back up their client list if they are so vital? Damn.

I love Bowen but thats what Im wondering myself.

boutons_deux
08-25-2009, 09:43 PM
"do they not back up their client list if they are so vital"

maybe they took a copy? :lol

exstatic
08-25-2009, 09:50 PM
You're all missing the point: of course Bruce and Yardley probably have a copy. The other bitches shouldn't have the list. It's proprietary information theft.

Twisted_Dawg
08-25-2009, 09:52 PM
What is so new about employees quitting a business and starting an identical business and calling on the previous customers? That has been done a million times before.

ploto
08-25-2009, 09:53 PM
I am surprised that Bruce did not know any better. You never, ever show up at their business which is private property and harrass them. If they violated their contract with you by contacting clients after they left, then you go after them legally. If they broke the law, you file a police report, but you do not confront them and threaten them.

I would assume that these are women who worked at Yardley's spa and left to open their own spa. Then, they contacted clients from there to tell them they had left Yardley's and were at their own spot. I assume by stealing the list, they must mean using the phone numbers from the client list at Yardley's. It is not like the list is gone and they can not contact them. I have no idea of the legality, but it happens all the time. A worker leaves and opens his own business and approaches the customers of the previous establishment. Some workers have legal contracts that forbid this, but others do not, so I have no clue. I wonder, though, if they actually have proof they stole a copy of the list because sometimes the employee simply tells the customers before they leave what they are planning and asks them for their number. If they have a listed number, they can look it up. Or they can mail something to them if their number is unlisted because if they own a home, it is easy to find their address.

When you own a business, employees leave and sometimes they take what they learn at your place and open their own.

ploto
08-25-2009, 09:57 PM
The other bitches shouldn't have the list. It's proprietary information theft.

Do we know they actually stole a copy of the list or did they compile one themselves? It would be pretty easy to compile a list of your best clients- like my hairdresser did when he left the place I first went to him at.

Stringer_Bell
08-25-2009, 10:00 PM
They stole the list bitch, how the fuck is he supposed to contact them?

You must really doubt Bruce's intelligence to assume he didn't have a back-up list. I assumed the problem was NOT theft of a master client list, but the active poaching of Yardley's customer base. If it was the theft of a master list, obviously there are legal implications involved and Bruce seems like a smart enough guy to notify the proper authorities before creating a PR mess that gets aired out over Twitter and local media.

Do you understand why there were probably better alternatives than getting his character trashed in public, son?

ploto
08-25-2009, 10:17 PM
Those girls may have gotten a steal on him, but he is just going to harass the hell out of them, get all up in their jerseys, until he achieves success.

Or gets arrested.

I really can not believe he is continuing this on Twitter. If you have proof, you press charges, but you do not go to their place and harrass them. Creating a written public record is dumb.

EricB
08-25-2009, 10:20 PM
Shocker, ploto hates on the black man.

Who saw THAT coming!

Pistons < Spurs
08-25-2009, 10:21 PM
The clients probably have more loyalty to the employees that worked on them during their visits than the owners of the establishment.

exstatic
08-25-2009, 10:24 PM
I know it's customary to take a few customers with you. Stealing the whole list is UNCOOL, unacceptable, and on par with stealing Coke's secret formula. I'm believing Bruce when he said they stole the list of customers. My guess is that they cold called ALL of the customers, and someone that didn't want to leave Yardley's tattled on them.

ploto
08-25-2009, 10:24 PM
The clients probably have more loyalty to the employees that worked on them during their visits than the owners of the establishment.

Bingo! And they will follow them to their new place. Maybe Yardley did not realize this when she opened a spa, but it happens all the time with spas, nail places, hair salons...

exstatic
08-25-2009, 10:26 PM

Some do, some don't. I'm sure Bruce and Yardley would be willing to put up with some attrition through relationships built. Stealing the whole list is an entirely different thing.

exstatic
08-25-2009, 10:29 PM
I'm sure they've learned one thing: their security needs an upgrade. Customer list kept in the locked office, no access except Bruce and Yardley, no exceptions.

ploto
08-25-2009, 10:33 PM
I am sure anyone who makes appointments can get at client information on the system. It's not like it's a printed list anymore.

DPG21920
08-25-2009, 10:45 PM
. Stealing the whole list is UNCOOL, unacceptable, and on par with stealing Coke's secret formula.

I agree it is taboo to steal anything in business. But as owners, you have to understand the industry. It is a service industry. People are buying the person, not the business for the most part.

It is nothing at all like stealing Coke's formula. Unless you want to get really generic and say "stealing is stealing".

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-25-2009, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the laughs, everybody... this thread obviously delivered when it comes to bomb-like slams against one another.

kromediablo
08-26-2009, 12:29 AM
This sounds like the perfect time to drop

Ohhh helllll nawwww!!!!
Ohhh no you di'int!!!

Bruce, way to be a real class act, consumate professional, and model citizen....smh this is damage...i'm guessing he will be boooed the next time on the court!

Trainwreck2100
08-26-2009, 12:53 AM

Pray tell how would they contact their customers without their contact list?`

kromediablo
08-26-2009, 01:14 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it seem kind of timely that Pop grants an intervew stating the Spurs are healthy on the same day Bruce and Yardly harasses their former employees?....This is damage control by the Spurs organization!

TDMVPDPOY
08-26-2009, 01:41 AM
stealing contacts under being fired, lol bowen shouldve known better to have it on a written contract so he can used it against them they are not to operate in certain km area of his business.....

Stringer_Bell
08-26-2009, 03:37 AM
Pray tell how would they contact their customers without their contact list?`

See this post: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3653318&postcount=23

I, perhaps naively, assumed there wasn't just ONE copy of the contact list, but rather those former employees made a copy which they used to notify Yardley's customers (not just ex-clients) that they had moved locations and were renting out a new space in an attempt to steal customers that would otherwise go to Yardley's. If there was just ONE copy of the contact list, law enforcement would be the SMART option to pursue instead of starting a wild rumpus in public. But I can understand Bruce wanting to give them a good ol' fashioned Christian lecture about poaching clients (from a COPY of the client list), can't we all?

boutons_deux
08-26-2009, 05:20 AM
"Christian lecture"

"There's No Christianing In Business Ball"

Whisky Dog
08-26-2009, 07:44 AM
Can't handle business in a ghetto back yard bar b q style. Gather evidence and contact your lawyer. Surely Bruce is well familiar with lawyers after being in the NBA for so long.

BacktoBasics
08-26-2009, 08:14 AM
Black people involved in a public confrontation.

Never happened before.

Lackluster
08-26-2009, 08:48 AM
It's proprietary information theft.

in my industry you can only take what's in your head. nothing on paper or electronic format. of course this can be problematic as it's difficult to prove one way or the other.

sometimes there's even a buffer of a few months or so on when you can call on previous clients.

it all depends on whatever contractual stipulations were in place.

CosmicCowboy
08-26-2009, 08:49 AM
Dang, that was stupid. This happens all the time in the salon business. No one "owns" the customers. They are free to follow the stylists wherever they move...going ghetto on the stylists was DUMB.

mrsmaalox
08-26-2009, 08:55 AM
I'll bet many of those clients followed their stylists to Yardley's salon in the first place.

JudynTX
08-26-2009, 08:56 AM
What is so new about employees quitting a business and starting an identical business and calling on the previous customers? That has been done a million times before.

It sure has.

lebomb
08-26-2009, 08:58 AM
Black people involved in a public confrontation.

Never happened before.

Oh and white folk havent either? :rolleyes

I guess you have never seen COPS

ploto
08-26-2009, 10:29 AM
While it remains to be seen for sure how they got the contact information, the spa does not own the customers and therefore they can't be stolen from them.

We also know that in this industry, word of mouth really matters. Someone shows up at Yardley's looking for their regular person who is no longer there. They ask around, and someone tells them where she went. Some of these people probably called the spa and not the other way around.

On a related topic, it often causes problems when these rich guys spend money to open some "fun" business for their wife. It used to be travel agencies or boutiques, and now it is salons.

CosmicCowboy
08-26-2009, 10:33 AM
On a related topic, it often causes problems when these rich guys spend money to open some "fun" business for their wife. It used to be travel agencies or boutiques, and now it is salons.

That's what I thought when I read that. If Bruce hadn't twittered about it I would have assumed that his wife told him he wasn't getting any pussy unless he went along as "backup" when she confronted the bitches...

leemajors
08-26-2009, 10:43 AM
it all depends on whatever contractual stipulations were in place.

this.

angel_luv
08-26-2009, 10:47 AM
I would follow my hair stylist to another salon if she left where she is now.

Actually, my hair stylist is so gifted I would consider following her to another state should she ever opt to move. Fingers crossed she doesn't. :)

I like Bruce Bowen. I hope everything works out well for him. I am sure he did what he honestly felt was best, although I probably would have handled the situation differently.

CosmicCowboy
08-26-2009, 11:04 AM
Virtually all stylists are "self employed" and lease their station from the salon. The salon has no "right" to their customers. They are idiots for going out of their way to publicly create a scene with their former tenants...why would a good stylist want to rent from dummies like that?

manufan10
08-26-2009, 11:09 AM
I don't think it has anything to do with them "stealing" clients. However, if it's true that the stylists stole client information from Yadley's salon, then there is something to be upset over. I think this is what the confrontation is about. Of course we all have to wait and see if anything legal is done. If they have evidence that these stylists took the client's information from the salon then there should be charges brought up.

SequSpur
08-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Bruce Bowen has no business going on someone elses property and telling them off. sorry.

xtremesteven33
08-26-2009, 06:24 PM
Bruce Bowen has no business going on someone elses property and telling them off. sorry.

Bowen is a badass....he can do whatever he wants....hell if Bowen yelled at me that would be cool....:hat

DPG21920
08-26-2009, 06:40 PM
This would be Bruce to Sequ:

8wvJqiutwdo

tlongII
08-26-2009, 07:00 PM
Bowen's a hack. He'll probably trip those girls when they walk out of their new spa.