PDA

View Full Version : Comparing Fin & RJ

Hooks
08-25-2009, 08:51 PM
I'm bored as shit so I counted how many times from the Fin and RJ scored at LEAST 15 points last season.

RJ-He scored at least 15+ points in 55 Games

Fin-Scored at least 15+ points in a whopping 12 games last year lmao.

jess :downspin:

I'm gonna go smoke now mmkay.

slick'81
08-25-2009, 08:54 PM
ok

Hooks
08-25-2009, 09:08 PM
ok

You can believe this, you can believe that
And believe I got a baseball bat, and I'm bustin' your head black
You believe I'm comin' strong, you believe I'm all grown
You believe, that nigga, I love to get it on
You half steppin'
I got the weapon
Boom! Boom! I'm blastin' at your mind to get you believe that
I love to kill, I love the thrill
And I love to put a nigga body parts in the field, nigga :downspin:

jay014
08-25-2009, 09:10 PM
ooook

tp2021
08-25-2009, 09:57 PM
In the games where Fin actually delivered in the 4th scorer role, the Spurs played very well. Plugging RJ into Fin's spot will work wonders this year for the Spurs.

z0sa
08-25-2009, 10:02 PM
comparing finley and RJ is pretty much the definition of apples to oranges.

bigfan
08-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Finley is old but can still provide depth and leadership off the bench. He did save our ass a few times last year as well. Im glad hes still around.

weebo
08-25-2009, 10:11 PM
What is there to comapre? One is an aging player who's better times are waaaaaaaaaaay behind him. The other is still has a lot of basketball left.

DPG21920
08-25-2009, 10:13 PM
You half steppin'
I got the weapon

Nvx2Gbco0f8

SCdac
08-25-2009, 10:25 PM
well if were comparing them the biggest thing that stands out to me as a spurs fan is

08-09 stats
Jefferson: 6.3 FT attempts per game (36 MPG)
Finley: 0.8 FT attempts per game (29 MPG)

they are both excellent free throw shooters (both in the 80s) that's about a wash, but the point is it will help to finally have another swingman getting to the line consistently. I don't dislike Finley at all, I'm actually one of his bigger fans, he's hit many clutch shots and clutch free throws for us. As a backup and an expiring contract I don't mind him on the squad at all.

SpurNation
08-25-2009, 10:30 PM
We don't have a choice but to keep Fin because we are thin at that position. But if we were not...I'd keep him anyway. He still has game in limited action.

td4mvp21
08-25-2009, 10:33 PM
My first thought when seeing the thread title was "That's a good way to end the Jefferson hype...".

loveforthegame
08-26-2009, 12:18 AM
What a weak comparison.

If we were talking stats for when Fin was in his prime compared to RJ's then we'd have something to talk about.

bigdog
08-26-2009, 04:02 AM
Is this really a thread?

I mean, seriously?

Muser
08-26-2009, 04:30 AM
Other insightful threads could include "Comparing Parker & Vaughn" and "Comparing Duncan and Bonner"

VivaPopovich
08-26-2009, 06:07 AM
Finley has a better jump shot.

That's it.

Texas_Ranger
08-26-2009, 06:29 AM
Finley is more black!

Fabbs
08-26-2009, 06:43 AM
Is this really a thread?

I mean, seriously?
Oh it sure is. We may well end up having to "compare" RJs playing time with Mrs. PopaFin.

Muser
Other insightful threads could include "Comparing Parker & Vaughn" and "Comparing Duncan and Bonner"
:lol or "Comparing Phil J and Pop". "Comparing 1st round fodder strategies and legit contender strategies."

SCdac

08-09 stats
Jefferson: 6.3 FT attempts per game (36 MPG)
Finley: 0.8 FT attempts per game (29 MPG)

You mean RJ will actually take the ball to the rack? Rain arrives at the desert! :toast

lefty
08-26-2009, 08:59 AM
Comparing FIn and RJ?

Why ??????????

easy7
08-26-2009, 09:05 AM
Comparing those two is like comparing Dirk and Manu to see who will make a better second banana to Duncan. Well not quite as stupid as that but close.

Chieflion
08-26-2009, 09:13 AM
This is not as bad as comparing Michael Beasley to Shawn Kemp to Michael Ray Richardson to Len Bias to Josh Howard.

Interrohater
08-26-2009, 10:22 AM
You half steppin'
I got the weapon

wow, weak lyrics.
First of all, why wouldn't I believe that you have a baseball bat? That's a pretty common object to have around the household, take it to the park with a couple of gloves for you and your son.
Then change "bustin your head black" to "bustin your black head" and then we can see that you're a very hygenic person, who despises any sort of facial acne.
And with lyrics like these, nobody believes that you're grown. or strong.
half steppin is a mighty slow walk.
Does your baseball bat sound like boom boom?
you must be awesome at Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare!
you do realize that using the word "nigga" only furthers the stereotype and doesn't demand the respect that we all want for minorities. not only that, but since you're talking about dismembering "niggas", I can't take you seriously, as I highly doubt you've ever left body parts of a human being in a field. old beat up computer, right next to a bloody baseball bat/shotgun hybrid thing, collocated to a Big Chief notepad and a fat pencil and half a page of words that rhyme scrawled in barely legible english.
:downspin:

sananspursfan21
08-26-2009, 11:17 AM
they have a similar game. they're both great shooters, good overall offense, decent perimeter defenders. i'd say that rj now is like fin when he was 28 or 29. i'd take finley when he was 28 or 29.

DPG21920
08-26-2009, 12:01 PM
wow, weak lyrics.
First of all, why wouldn't I believe that you have a baseball bat? That's a pretty common object to have around the household, take it to the park with a couple of gloves for you and your son.
Then change "bustin your head black" to "bustin your black head" and then we can see that you're a very hygenic person, who despises any sort of facial acne.
And with lyrics like these, nobody believes that you're grown. or strong.
half steppin is a mighty slow walk.
Does your baseball bat sound like boom boom?
you must be awesome at Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare!
you do realize that using the word "nigga" only furthers the stereotype and doesn't demand the respect that we all want for minorities. not only that, but since you're talking about dismembering "niggas", I can't take you seriously, as I highly doubt you've ever left body parts of a human being in a field. old beat up computer, right next to a bloody baseball bat/shotgun hybrid thing, collocated to a Big Chief notepad and a fat pencil and half a page of words that rhyme scrawled in barely legible english.
:downspin:

The lyrics were from an actual song. See my post above.

hater
08-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Comparing FIn and RJ?

Why ??????????

to feel good. RJ is replacing Fin :king

I would also like to compar Dice to Bonner, and Blair to Oberto

Baseline
08-26-2009, 01:41 PM
Finley should not be considered a player on our team this year. He should be considered nothing more than an expiring contract.

Last year was a very forgettable year for the Spurs, and Finley was a big reason for that. We got close to zero production from his spot last year. So it's absolutely tremendous that we won't have to see him on the floor this year.

I felt like he was good for one decent year when he joined the Spurs, and that's what we've gottn from him. Every year past Year 1 was a bust.

lefty
08-26-2009, 03:15 PM
to feel good. RJ is replacing Fin :king

I would also like to compar Dice to Bonner, and Blair to Oberto

:lol I really does feel good

portnoy1
08-26-2009, 03:33 PM
they have a similar game. they're both great shooters, good overall offense, decent perimeter defenders. i'd say that rj now is like fin when he was 28 or 29. i'd take finley when he was 28 or 29.Now think about that, when we got Finley he was 31 and the year before with dallas he could shoot/post/drive/dunk and had a decent amount of facials for the year just like RJ. Once we got Finley in the offense he became nothing more than a spot up shooter with the other skills (post/drive/dunk) being tapped into very rarely (almost never). RJ is 29 and can Shoot/post/drive/dunk and can certainly serve up facials. In his last 2 years with Dallas Finley averaged 17.1pts in 37min per game as a 3rd option. In his 4yrs with the spurs in their system including the frequent injuries to Manu, he has averaged 9.7pts in 26min per game, may I add that he only missed 6gms in the last 4yrs w/ spurs. RJ avg 19.6 in 36min per game last year with the bucks as the 1st option. as the 3rd option in New jersey he averaged 19.8pts in 39min from the 03-04 season to 07-08 season. RJ is a little better defender/slasher and is more athletic. Finley however is a much better shooter across the board. Finley should've thrived in the spurs system. He didn't. RJ has a similiar role as when finley came here, their both 4th options. If Finley couldn't thrive as a shooter, then How much better is RJ gonna do, especially considering he is more like Manu (taking away the intangibles)? Sure, he's athletic. But in the spurs system the 4th option will be taking jumpshots and 3's.

Interrohater
08-26-2009, 04:28 PM
The lyrics were from an actual song. See my post above.
no, i got that, i was being funny. or not.

fotan2
08-26-2009, 06:39 PM
Finley was the next MJ in his prime.

lurker23
08-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Finley should not be considered a player on our team this year. He should be considered nothing more than an expiring contract.

Last year was a very forgettable year for the Spurs, and Finley was a big reason for that. We got close to zero production from his spot last year. So it's absolutely tremendous that we won't have to see him on the floor this year.

I felt like he was good for one decent year when he joined the Spurs, and that's what we've gottn from him. Every year past Year 1 was a bust.

Spurs fans are spoiled. Finley is actually pretty good as a role player, and will continue to be this year. Yes, his defense leaves a lot to be desired, and many wish Pop would play him 15-20 mpg instead of 25-30 mpg. However, many teams would love to have a veteran role player who can put up numbers like Finley did last year:

9.7 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 3.0 apg, 0.75 TO/g, 43.7% FG, 41.1% 3-pointers, on 28.8 mpg.

If he can keep up that pace per minute while playing a slightly smaller role, particularly if he can keep up those percentages, I'll be very happy with him.

DPG21920
08-26-2009, 06:55 PM
Exactly, some people just do not get it. People tend to focus on the negative and not the positive. It is not Finley's fault Pop asked him to guard Lebron.

In his role, Finley is a damn good 4th option on a team.

peskypesky
08-27-2009, 01:59 AM
I think the OP just made my week with that stat!

I'm stoked for this season.

lennyalderette
08-27-2009, 04:11 PM
he hit some big shots for us, but seriously with all the new guys im really glad finley is now a a back up, and a solid one at that, i think he can play with a hell of alot more energy coming off. i cant believe he was still starting! its going to be a great year guys

Hooks
08-27-2009, 05:17 PM
The thread was supposed to make us feel good :)

I was basically showing how much of an upgrade (Upgrade? No shit...) we're getting at the SF position by showing you guys a random stat :P but some of you took it the wrong way.

exstatic
08-27-2009, 05:29 PM
What a weak comparison.

If we were talking stats for when Fin was in his prime compared to RJ's then we'd have something to talk about.

Fin never went to the line in any season as much as RJ did last year. Fin's most FTA was 416 in 82 games.

exstatic
08-27-2009, 05:34 PM
Now think about that, when we got Finley he was 31 and the year before with dallas he could shoot/post/drive/dunk and had a decent amount of facials for the year just like RJ. Once we got Finley in the offense he became nothing more than a spot up shooter with the other skills (post/drive/dunk) being tapped into very rarely (almost never). RJ is 29 and can Shoot/post/drive/dunk and can certainly serve up facials. In his last 2 years with Dallas Finley averaged 17.1pts in 37min per game as a 3rd option. In his 4yrs with the spurs in their system including the frequent injuries to Manu, he has averaged 9.7pts in 26min per game, may I add that he only missed 6gms in the last 4yrs w/ spurs. RJ avg 19.6 in 36min per game last year with the bucks as the 1st option. as the 3rd option in New jersey he averaged 19.8pts in 39min from the 03-04 season to 07-08 season. RJ is a little better defender/slasher and is more athletic. Finley however is a much better shooter across the board. Finley should've thrived in the spurs system. He didn't. RJ has a similiar role as when finley came here, their both 4th options. If Finley couldn't thrive as a shooter, then How much better is RJ gonna do, especially considering he is more like Manu (taking away the intangibles)? Sure, he's athletic. But in the spurs system the 4th option will be taking jumpshots and 3's.

RJ has already played a lesser role in his career. Finley never had until he got here. That's the difference.