PDA

View Full Version : No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bus driver
08-26-2009, 07:59 AM
damn the man!

Brace yourself: Beer prices are going up
Brewers say rising commodity costs and lower volumes are forcing them to raise its price tags.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Beer drinkers beware: The cost of a cold one is going up.

Brewers across the globe are hiking prices to compensate for lower volumes and higher commodity costs in the recession.

Anheuser-Busch InBev, the world's largest brewer and maker of Budweiser, announced plans to raise prices Tuesday.

"We plan on taking price increases on a majority of volume and in a majority of markets this fall," Anheuser-Busch InBev said in a statement. "The increase helps cover some input costs."

The U.S.-Belgian brewer said prices will go up "across different price tiers" including its high and low-end brands.

The price hikes are part of a broader industry trend.

Heineken, best known for its Heineken and Amstel brands, said Tuesday that its global price increases have helped it turn profits despite sagging volumes.

Anheuser-Busch InBev (ABI) was formed in November 2008 when InBev, which brews Beck's and Stella Artois, bought St. Louis-based Anheuser-Busch for $52 billion.

The looming price hike comes as sales volumes in the brewing industry have declined. Anheuser-Busch InBev said earlier this month that total beer volumes were down 1.5% in the second quarter versus the same period last year.

Heineken, based in Amsterdam, said Tuesday that price increases helped the company offset the pull back in consumption. Heineken makes and brews 170 international beers and ciders, but is best known for its brands Heineken and Amstel.

"The economic and trading conditions remain difficult, and there will be continued pressure on volumes in the second half of 2009," CEO Jean-François van Boxmeer said in a statement.

First Published: August 25, 2009: 5:41 PM ET

By Ben Rooney and Catherine Clifford, CNNMoney.com staff writers
Last Updated: August 26, 2009: 8:07 AM ET

http://money.cnn.com/2009/08/25/news/companies/anheuser_busch/index.htm

Dr. Gonzo
08-26-2009, 08:45 AM
They should tax alcohol the way they tax cigs.

fraga
08-26-2009, 08:48 AM
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking...

Evil Angel
08-26-2009, 10:05 AM
Why? Can to elaborate on this fucked up thought?

Viva Las Espuelas
08-26-2009, 10:08 AM
that's a tax i'd go along with, but not as taxed as cigs are.

Dr. Gonzo
08-26-2009, 10:10 AM

I don't see why they focus strictly on cigs to tax when alcohol is worse to people's health. That's the argument they use against cigs and I think it should work that way against alcohol as well.

coyotes_geek
08-26-2009, 10:35 AM

Because government knows what's better for you better than you do. Drinking is bad for your health and your unhealthy activities must be purified through taxation.

phyzik
08-26-2009, 10:57 AM
Guess I'll just buy a brewing kit and make my own shit then.

Evil Angel
08-26-2009, 12:34 PM
I don't see why they focus strictly on cigs to tax when alcohol is worse to people's health. That's the argument they use against cigs and I think it should work that way against alcohol as well.
Alcohol is not worse than smokes, with the exception of driving while intoxicated. There are studies that show alcohol in moderation is good for you. Find that with cigs!
I'm with phyzik, time to home brew if this gets out of hand, but I'm sure the sin tax fuckers will get that too somehow...

dimsah
08-26-2009, 01:25 PM
FUCK! Right before football season.

I literally just started brewing my own this past Sunday as a hobby.
I'm going to need to brew several batches at a time now.

I hope my first batch doesn't suck too bad.

eyeh8u
08-26-2009, 01:52 PM
Alcohol is not worse than smokes, with the exception of driving while intoxicated. There are studies that show alcohol in moderation is good for you. Find that with cigs!
I'm with phyzik, time to home brew if this gets out of hand, but I'm sure the sin tax fuckers will get that too somehow...

most legitimate studies show that alcohol in moderation is "not bad" for you , that doesn't means its good for you. Alcohol is a toxin that goes into your system, while its there your body spends most of its resources to get rid of it, you heal slower, and your immune system is comprised while the alcohol is in your system.

There is no health benefits in any alcohol that cant be gotten from somewhere else without having to put toxins in your body, for example the polyphenols in wine, that have antioxidant properties, can be replaced by eating an orange, or a pomegranate, or taking a good multivitamin.

mexicanjunior
08-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Meh...I don't drink beer anyway. No biggie...

leemajors
08-26-2009, 03:28 PM
Macro sales are down, no surprises here. i think the only macro who is making any gains is Coors Light. I just hope this doesn't force craft brews up too, but it probably will.

PuttPutt
08-26-2009, 09:30 PM
Prices still may increase not due to just economic issues. A small portion of the hops grown here in WA State were damaged by the record & near record triple digit weather we had here. 75% of the hops grown in the US are grown on the Yakima Valley, where I live. Although, the farmer may just be the one to lose out.

phyzik
08-26-2009, 10:11 PM
I never took economics so correct me if Im wrong... If your not selling enough in a hurting economy, how does RAISING prices help things? Aren't more people going to stop buying your brand because of the price?

I would think you would lower the price a bit to encourage sales.

z0sa
08-26-2009, 10:19 PM
are you telling me I can't get my 40s for a buck 69 anymore?!?

Darrin
08-26-2009, 11:08 PM
are you telling me I can't get my 40s for a buck 69 anymore?!?

I'm moving to San Antonio! We have to pay at least $2.60 around these parts.

exstatic
08-26-2009, 11:43 PM
So, crappy mass produced beer is going up in price? BFD. This could be looked on as a public service in that it may encourage people to try good beer, since the prices will now be closer.

I spent 3 teenage years in Germany during the 70s when there was no drinking age. Germans consider American beer to be former beer (piss). When I got back to the States, I found out what they meant. My cousins would be getting all drunk on 3.2 Miller beer, and I couldn't stand it. I didn't really drink beer until my 30s, during the time in the 90s when regionals and micro breweries were coming into their own. Nothing else brewed in the U.S. is worth drinking.

EricB
08-27-2009, 02:13 AM
Because government knows what's better for you better than you do. Drinking is bad for your health and your unhealthy activities must be purified through taxation.

I like this guy's sarcasm... :)

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-27-2009, 11:35 AM
My local grocery store was charging $13 for a 12-pack of Bud the other day. WTF???

I guess I'll stick to MadDog.