PDA

View Full Version : Which newbie will have the easiest transition?

DJB
08-26-2009, 10:01 AM
Which newcomer will have the easiest transition in to Popp's system and schemes?

Discuss.

ginobilized
08-26-2009, 10:19 AM
McDyess

coyotes_geek
08-26-2009, 10:21 AM
Dyess. He's got the best match between what his role on the Spurs will be and what his role on his previous team was.

manufan10
08-26-2009, 10:24 AM
McDyess. He's already been in a similar situation with Detroit, and was coached by Larry Brown for a season or two. I think he'll have a similar role and so he should have the easiest transition.

Interrohater
08-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Dice, he's a pro and he'll be doing much the same things here as he's done in the past. Or Mahinmi since he's been in the system, although he's not technically a newcomer

CGD
08-26-2009, 10:33 AM
Good question. i agree it will be McDyess. Flipping it around, I think the "toughest" transition will be for RJ, who after being the number one offensive option with the Bucks will asked to be option three/four.

eisfeld
08-26-2009, 10:51 AM
Good question. i agree it will be McDyess. Flipping it around, I think the "toughest" transition will be for RJ, who after being the number one offensive option with the Bucks will asked to be option three/four.

RJ was uncomfortable being the first option. He is a better second or third option. Therefore I'd say it won't be hard for him on offense. I can see him struggling on the defensive end due to the Spurs' defensive schemes.

coyotes_geek
08-26-2009, 11:28 AM
RJ was uncomfortable being the first option. He is a better second or third option. Therefore I'd say it won't be hard for him on offense. I can see him struggling on the defensive end due to the Spurs' defensive schemes.

Agreed. I do think RJ has the toughest job, given the magnitude of the role he's going to be asked to fill. But it's mostly on the defensive side of the ball. Offensively all I'm worried about is RJ getting comfortable calling his own number. We've seen too many players come here and just defer to Tim, Tony & Manu all the time. RJ needs to be aggressive offensively.

DJB
08-26-2009, 12:42 PM
Agreed. I do think RJ has the toughest job, given the magnitude of the role he's going to be asked to fill. But it's mostly on the defensive side of the ball. Offensively all I'm worried about is RJ getting comfortable calling his own number. We've seen too many players come here and just defer to Tim, Tony & Manu all the time. RJ needs to be aggressive offensively.

Ditto.

silverblackfan
08-26-2009, 01:14 PM

Agreed. We don't want RJ hesitating and missing shots like Finley and Barry did their first year. Hopefully, he will be ready and aggressive.

VivaPopovich
08-26-2009, 03:31 PM
As far as the rookies go, DeJuan Blair.

He understands that Spurs basketball use to be about grabbing offensive rebounds and that's the way it should always be.

Not this pathetic bullshit of playing Finley at PF or Matt Bonner at C.

portnoy1
08-26-2009, 03:36 PM
AMEN. all mcdyess is, is a Kurt Thomas upgrade. He is younger and has the exact same skills as Kurt. And RJ better learn to be Premier defender quick, cause $14 million is alot of money for a 4th option.