PDA

View Full Version : Braveheart vs. Gladiator

Fpoonsie
08-26-2009, 10:36 AM
In honor of their BluRay release on the 1st, I was curious which one people preferred.

While I've always loved Braveheart, the more people I talk to, the more I get the impression that, at some point, Gladiator leapfrogged it in terms of sheer epic awesomeness in most people's eyes.

http://www.reellifewisdom.com/files/images/braveheart.bmp

v.

http://goneelsewhere.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/gladiator-2.jpg

leemajors
08-26-2009, 10:42 AM
Braveheart, Stephen kinda made the movie.

SonOfAGun
08-26-2009, 10:50 AM
This is a tough one.

I give the nod to Gladiator because of the superior sword fighting. I've always loved ancient greek/roman history so I am very biased though.

Viva Las Espuelas
08-26-2009, 10:51 AM
braveheart, hands down

phyzik
08-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Easily Braveheart, and its not even close IMHO.

PM5K
08-26-2009, 10:54 AM
You can't go wrong with either...

JoeChalupa
08-26-2009, 10:55 AM
This is tough call for me.
But I'll have to go with Braveheart.
And William Wallace gets some.

JoeChalupa
08-26-2009, 10:55 AM
You can't go wrong with either...

That is a correct statement. :tu

manufan10
08-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Freeeeedom!!!!

JudynTX
08-26-2009, 10:57 AM
Gladiator

mrsmaalox
08-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Braveheart definitely. I don't care for Russel Crowe.

ATRAIN
08-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Braveheart FTW!!

Fpoonsie
08-26-2009, 11:03 AM
I think I'm a tad TOO ST-reTAHded to figure out that poll nonsense, so I'll just have to keep a running tally in my head.

To my surprise, Braveheart's pullin away so far. :tu

Cry Havoc
08-26-2009, 11:12 AM
Braveheart by a WIDE margin. One of the greatest movies of all-time, IMO.

mexicanjunior
08-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Gladiator...

CubanMustGo
08-26-2009, 11:25 AM
Braveheart film score >>>> Gladiator film score.

desflood
08-26-2009, 11:26 AM
Braveheart was the better movie, but for sheer ass kickery, Gladiator was it.

DisAsTerBot
08-26-2009, 11:32 AM
wallace!

balli
08-26-2009, 11:42 AM
Easily Braveheart, and its not even close...

tlongII
08-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Tie

clambake
08-26-2009, 12:07 PM
braveheart, hands down

:toast

DPG21920
08-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Gladiator.

Braveheart, while entertaining was full of historical inaccuracies and Mel Gibson's accent was terrible.

Strike
08-26-2009, 12:42 PM
Can't say either/or. I'm a fan of both movies. As a history buff, I dig both. Although historical accuracy tends to take a backseat in both movies, Gladiator is essentially a fictional story tied in to a historical period. Either way, I love both movies. Couldn't pick one as the better.

Strike
08-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Gladiator.

Braveheart, while entertaining was full of historical inaccuracies and Mel Gibson's accent was terrible.

You don't really think that Emporer Commodus was killed in the Colosseum by an ex-legionairre general turned slave turned gladiator, do you?

Strike
08-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Wait, wait, wait, what the fuck was I thinking. There is nothing more classic then watching that King in Braveheart throw his sons lover out the window. Braveheart!!!

Even better was when the son tried to stab the King and ends up gettine bitch slapped and completely owned.

DPG21920
08-26-2009, 12:45 PM
You don't really think that Emporer Commodus was killed in the Colosseum by an ex-legionairre general turned slave turned gladiator, do you?

Nope. I know there are historical inaccuracies in both.

Strike
08-26-2009, 12:47 PM

So you like Gladiator better because of Braveheart's historical inaccuracies?

JoeChalupa
08-26-2009, 01:03 PM
I like the name Marcus Aurelius.

antimvp
08-26-2009, 01:04 PM
BRAVEHEART....that dude dying in the middle of shooting Gladiator screwed up that movie.

Fpoonsie
08-26-2009, 01:07 PM
BRAVEHEART....that dude dying in the middle of shooting Gladiator screwed up that movie.

Wait...what?

Was this, like, some kinda "The Crow" mid-movie death or...?

DPG21920
08-26-2009, 01:13 PM
So you like Gladiator better because of Braveheart's historical inaccuracies?

Nope. I like Gladiator because he did not try and do a piss poor accent like Gibson in Braveheart. I liked both movies. But Braveheart for some reason seemed to try and be historical and failed, while Gladiator seemed to acknowledge it was not going to be historically accurate and just entertain.

Viva Las Espuelas
08-26-2009, 02:20 PM
man. then please, by all means, don't go see inglorious basterds.

Strike
08-26-2009, 02:25 PM
Nope. I like Gladiator because he did not try and do a piss poor accent like Gibson in Braveheart. I liked both movies. But Braveheart for some reason seemed to try and be historical and failed, while Gladiator seemed to acknowledge it was not going to be historically accurate and just entertain.

Fair enough. At least you have a logical and intelligent take.

DPG21920
08-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Fair enough. At least you have a logical and intelligent take.

Are you being facetious?

DPG21920
08-26-2009, 03:49 PM
man. then please, by all means, don't go see inglorious basterds.

I still really liked both movies, and it was tough to choose between the two, but I just gave a reason why I ultimately choose Gladiator over Braveheart.

CubanSucks
08-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Braveheart was the better movie, but for sheer ass kickery, Gladiator was it.

Agree. Braveheart is my all time favorite movie. I think it's miles ahead in the "classic" genre. In fact, I never watch it when it comes on tv cause I don't want it to just become like every other movie I've seen too many times. But if we're just talking about kick assery (which I don't think this thread was made for) then Gladiator gets the nod.

BTW, Braveheart soundtrack is EPIC!!! Greatest ever!!!(though my Scot-Irish heritage makes my a little biased...I love bagpipes) Even got that shit on my ipod.

CubanSucks
08-26-2009, 04:51 PM
You can't mention Braveheart without mentioning the battle scenes. Braveheart was to battle scenes like The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly was to standoffs. It took it to a whole nother level. Before Braveheart, epic battle scenes were all just shot at a wide scale while the battle scenes in Braveheart went inside the battle showing gruesome detail.

Strike
08-26-2009, 06:12 PM
Are you being facetious?

Not at all. You stated your opinion and backed it up logically and coherently.

Strike
08-26-2009, 06:14 PM
You can't mention Braveheart without mentioning the battle scenes. Braveheart was to battle scenes like The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly was to standoffs. It took it to a whole nother level. Before Braveheart, epic battle scenes were all just shot at a wide scale while the battle scenes in Braveheart went inside the battle showing gruesome detail.

The dude getting hit in the head with the big ass mallot, along with the "thunk" sound made me rewind and watch several times. :lol

Epic.

mardigan
08-26-2009, 06:26 PM
I just watched Predator on bluray, and it was sick. Commando is up next.

Then try Total Recall, it looks freaking awesome.

And Gladiator for me. Braveheart is probably a better movie overall, but i just like all the action in Gladiator.

Sense
08-26-2009, 06:36 PM
Gladiator... cuz of the final scene.

JamStone
08-26-2009, 06:40 PM
Braveheart.

But, I don't think it's by a landslide like some. Two great epic, war/soldier movies with good storylines. I think Braveheart wins out because it does tell a better story. But, I think Gladiator wins out in terms of being a better made film. There are mistakes in Braveheart in some of the battle scenes, like in one scene where Wallace is leading his Scots to get ready to fight and they're running and one shot he's carrying his sword or axe and a split second later he doesn't, and there are shots where some of the extras can be seen not in full character while they fight. Just a couple of things the editors should have caught. But, Braveheart still wins out, and it has the better ending for sure.

ShoogarBear
08-26-2009, 07:13 PM
Spartacus >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> both.

Kriz-Maxima
08-26-2009, 07:28 PM
freeeeedom!!!!

+1

jack sommerset
08-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Fucking Braveheart. Freeeeeedoooooooooooooooooooooooooom!!!!!!!!!!

jaffies
08-26-2009, 09:19 PM
Braveheart.

Cry Havoc
08-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Braveheart.

But, I don't think it's by a landslide like some. Two great epic, war/soldier movies with good storylines. I think Braveheart wins out because it does tell a better story. But, I think Gladiator wins out in terms of being a better made film. There are mistakes in Braveheart in some of the battle scenes, like in one scene where Wallace is leading his Scots to get ready to fight and they're running and one shot he's carrying his sword or axe and a split second later he doesn't, and there are shots where some of the extras can be seen not in full character while they fight. Just a couple of things the editors should have caught. But, Braveheart still wins out, and it has the better ending for sure.

Gladiator is an amazing movie, no doubt about it.

But they removed frames from the action scenes to speed it up, and it really bothers me sometimes when I'm watching the movie.

David Bowie
08-26-2009, 10:29 PM
Gladiator. IT was entertaining and the actors were great.

I couldn't wait for Braveheart to end.

CubanSucks
08-26-2009, 10:39 PM
Spartacus >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> both.

:lmao I LOVE pretty much every other movie by Kubrick but Spartacus is just good ol fashioned BORING. Not to mention the final battle scene doesn't make any fucking sense. How were so many slaves able to get rounded up like that right before they all start saying "I'm Spartacus". I mean what was stopping them from just getting up and fighting again? It's not like they were at gunpoint.

Fpoonsie
08-26-2009, 10:42 PM
Gladiator. IT was entertaining and the actors were great.

I couldn't wait for Braveheart to end.

Tha fuck outta here...seriously?!?

I've certainly heard of people not liking it as much as some OTHER movie, but I've NEVER heard of someone thoroughly HATING it.

You blew my mind, DB. You blew my mind.

Stringer_Bell
08-26-2009, 10:48 PM
Braveheart is the better film. When Wallace kills the dude that killed his wife, he does it without saying a word. That's stone cold badassery.

Gladiator is overrated.

Whisky Dog
08-27-2009, 04:00 AM
Braveheart was good but I just don't like watching long ass movies. Plus every white douchebag in my HS at the time thought it was cool to say the fucking lines over and over so I grew to loathe it a bit.

Gladiator was entertaining. And it made my short haircut that i'd been rockin for years cool.

koriwhat
08-27-2009, 04:16 AM
gladiator was an alright 15 minute movie... yep 15 minutes because skipping through the dialogue is a must!

KidCongo
08-27-2009, 04:23 AM
Gladiator

"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius...."

Yew.

antimvp
08-27-2009, 05:55 AM
Tha fuck outta here...seriously?!?

I've certainly heard of people not liking it as much as some OTHER movie, but I've NEVER heard of someone thoroughly HATING it.

You blew my mind, DB. You blew my mind.

whats funny is I didn't want Braveheart to end.

leo_d
08-27-2009, 08:33 AM
Braveheart

King Longshanks >>>> Comodus as a villain. Comodus is so "my dad doesn`t love me, im so sad"

One thing is to fight a punk in the arena and another is to raise an army to fight for freedom and die tortured for it.

One is much more epic than the other, and the fight scenes in braveheart are way much more bloodiest and realistic than in gladiator.

manufan10
08-27-2009, 08:37 AM
Braveheart

King Longshanks >>>> Comodus as a villain. Comodus is so "my dad doesn`t love me, im so sad"

He's the first emo. :lol

SonOfAGun
08-27-2009, 08:39 AM
3Q-ANuhHnps

jman3000
08-27-2009, 08:47 AM
"We'll make sticks as long as men"

"But some sticks are longer than others"

"Ahhh... I hear your mothers been talking about me"

Braveheart's use of a medieval "your mom" joke pushes it over the edge.

DarkReign
08-27-2009, 09:13 AM
I watch both every time they are on.

I call a "no decision". Both excellent, both all-time-movies for me.

Fpoonsie
08-27-2009, 09:39 AM
"We'll make sticks as long as men"

"But some sticks are longer than others"

"Ahhh... I hear your mothers been talking about me"

Braveheart's use of a medieval "your mom" joke pushes it over the edge.

:lol Classic.

Stephen's dialogue w/ "the Almighty" also greatly helped its cause.

"Yes, Father. The Almighty says, 'Don't change the subject. Just answer the fookin question!'"

hater
08-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Gladiator is a comic book. Braveheart is an illustrated tale.

ShoogarBear
08-27-2009, 12:10 PM
:lmao I LOVE pretty much every other movie by Kubrick but Spartacus is just good ol fashioned BORING.

Meaning, not enough cartoon action?

Yeah, you actually had to listen to dialogue.

Not to mention the final battle scene doesn't make any fucking sense. How were so many slaves able to get rounded up like that right before they all start saying "I'm Spartacus". I mean what was stopping them from just getting up and fighting again? It's not like they were at gunpoint.

Uh, the fact that they were exhausted, relieved of weapons, and surronded by the Roman fricking Army?

What do you think happened at the end of battles of those apparently way-more-realistic battles in the other movies? Or did just everybody fight until the other side was completely CGI-killed?

Destro
08-27-2009, 12:20 PM
IMHO
1. Braveheart has a better storyline

2. The cinematography is better in Gladiator

3. The battles are better in Braveheart because they are so massive

4. The camera cuts are to fast for me in Gladiator during the fights

5. The backdrop of Rome is awesome and beautiful

6. I cared about Braveheart's fight for freedom in the movie more so than the Spaniard's revenge and i was upset when braveheart got betrayed during the movie.

7. The ending of Braveheart was great, Gibson gets tortured and the people rally to win their freedom. Ending of gladiator was cheesy, Spaniard gets revenge and toys get buried in the sand.

8. I'll watch Gladiator when its on because the sets are done so well it really is prettier to watch. Bravehear ton the other hand i'll flip through with the remote cause its so dark and dreary.

winner Braveheart, but not by much, love both movies

mrose31
08-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Braveheart was better. In fact I had to watch Gladiator a 2nd time because I did not think it was that good. I did like it much more the 2nd time I watched it. Of course I would not think very highly of my opinion because I liked Troy and 300 better than these 2 movies. :wow

Whisky Dog
08-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Gladiator has the edge of having Oliver Reed (Proximo) die in glorious fashion near the end of filming. Dude hated Russell Crowe and challenged him to a fight on set then died in this fashion:

"He (Reed) died of a heart attack in a bar after downing three bottles of Captain Morgan's Jamaica rum, eight bottles of German beer, numerous doubles of Famous Grouse whiskey, and beating five much younger Royal Navy sailors at arm-wrestling. His bar bill for that final lunch time totaled 270 Maltese lira, almost £450."

Fpoonsie
08-27-2009, 02:08 PM
Gladiator has the edge of having Oliver Reed (Proximo) die in glorious fashion near the end of filming. Dude hated Russell Crowe and challenged him to a fight on set then died in this fashion:

"He (Reed) died of a heart attack in a bar after downing three bottles of Captain Morgan's Jamaica rum, eight bottles of German beer, numerous doubles of Famous Grouse whiskey, and beating five much younger Royal Navy sailors at arm-wrestling. His bar bill for that final lunch time totaled 270 Maltese lira, almost £450."

:wow

:lol

What a way to go...

According to (possibly) the same website, they changed the name of the bar he collapsed in from "The Pub" to "Ollie's Last Pub". Nothing like cashing in on someone else's crippling addiction.

David Bowie
08-27-2009, 02:19 PM
That's the thing. Braveheart was just too long and I couldn't connect with any of the characters. I just couldn't care for them for some reason, and the movie just wouldn't end. I can't really give much more detail, since I watched Braveheart such a long time ago. Oh, and I dislike like Mel Gibson (even pre-rant) more then I dislike Russle Crowe.

760Spursfan
08-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Two great movies but I would have to say Gladiator

CubanSucks
08-27-2009, 08:35 PM
I don't think everyone complaining about the length of Braveheart realizes that Gladiator is only like 20 min. shorter. And the extended version is like the same exact length. If you don't like Braveheart then just say it but the lengths are practically identical.

CubanSucks
08-27-2009, 08:37 PM
:lol Classic.

Stephen's dialogue w/ "the Almighty" also greatly helped its cause.

"Yes, Father. The Almighty says, 'Don't change the subject. Just answer the fookin question!'"

"The Lord tells me he can get me out of this mess. But he's pretty sure...you're fooked"

SonOfAGun
08-27-2009, 08:53 PM
I thought it was kind of lame how much The Patriot was like Braveheart.

I liked both movies though :lol

CubanSucks
08-27-2009, 08:53 PM
Meaning, not enough cartoon action?

Yeah, you actually had to listen to dialogue.

That's exactly what I didn't want you to think. If I was that type (the Michael Bay, Bruckheimer loving type) would I love any other Kubrick film? It's just that I have my threshold and I see Spartacus as 3 hours of them walking and talking to eventually lose a battle that we don't really even see.

Uh, the fact that they were exhausted, relieved of weapons, and surronded by the Roman fricking Army?

What do you think happened at the end of battles of those apparently way-more-realistic battles in the other movies? Or did just everybody fight until the other side was completely CGI-killed?

But wait, so all those slaves that "would rather die than be slaves again" suddenly cared about getting killed in battle? Not to mention there was still a ton of them left, and what the hell do you mean they were surrounded? They were all on a hill with a few Romans on horses walking around, I wouldn't call that being surrounded by the whole army.

Fpoonsie
08-27-2009, 09:17 PM
"The Lord tells me he can get me out of this mess. But he's pretty sure...you're fooked"

:lol The fact that I can quote each one of Stephen's lines in the movie verbatim (complete w/ shitty attempt at an Irish accent) ISN'T necessarily something I'm proud of, but...

:hat

Darrin
08-27-2009, 09:27 PM
I am William Wallace. And I see a whole army of my countrymen here in the defiance of tyranny. You have come to fight as free men, and free men you are. What will you do without freedom?!?

Will you fight?

Ay, fight and you may die; Run, and you'll live... at least awhile. And dying in your beds many years from now would you be willing to trade all the days from this one to that for one chance--just one chance--to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom!

I don't know which movie is better, I haven't seen them in a long time. But as an American, that just gives me chills.

BWS-1994
08-28-2009, 08:47 AM
"Are you not entertained?!"

Fpoonsie
09-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Anybody picked either one of these up on BluRay yet?

They're fucking phenomenal. They even offer you $10 back if you already owned them on DVD, which is pretty sweet.

DarrinS
09-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Buy both

Soul_Patch
09-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Not even a contest...Braveheart by a long shot. That movie is so epic.

Both are good, but Braveheart is in another league.

Cry Havoc
09-10-2009, 10:39 AM
My Lord tells me He can get me out of this mess... but he's pretty sure... you're fucked!

Nahahyaiyaiyaiyai!

balli
09-10-2009, 10:49 AM
A foolish choice in art direction casts a pall over Ridley Scott's "Gladiator" that no swordplay can cut through. The film looks muddy, fuzzy and indistinct...

a lack of detail in the long shots helps obscure shabby special effects (the Colosseum in Rome looks like a model from a computer game), and the characters bring no cheer: They're bitter, vengeful, depressed...

This same story could have been rousing entertainment; I have just revisited the wonderful "Raiders of the Lost Ark," which is just as dimwitted but 12 times more fun. But "Gladiator" lacks joy. It employs depression as a substitute for personality, and believes that if the characters are bitter and morose enough, we won't notice how dull they are...

The battle sequences are a pale shadow of the lucidly choreographed swordplay in "Rob Roy" (1995); instead of moves we can follow and strategy we can appreciate, Scott goes for muddled closeups of fearsome but indistinct events. The crowd cheers, although those in the cheaper seats are impossible to see because of the murky special effects...
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20000505/REVIEWS/5050301/1023