PDA

View Full Version : UK NHS: 4000 pregnant women w/out rooms

DarrinS
08-26-2009, 12:32 PM
The babies born in hospital corridors: Bed shortage forces 4,000 mothers to give birth in lifts, offices and hospital toilets (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1209034/The-babies-born-hospital-corridors-Bed-shortage-forces-4-000-mothers-birth-lifts-offices-hospital-toilets.html)

Thousands of women are having to give birth outside maternity wards because of a lack of midwives and hospital beds.

The lives of mothers and babies are being put at risk as births in locations ranging from lifts to toilets - even a caravan - went up 15 per cent last year to almost 4,000.

Health chiefs admit a lack of maternity beds is partly to blame for the crisis, with hundreds of women in labour being turned away from hospitals because they are full.

Latest figures show that over the past two years there were at least:

63 births in ambulances and 608 in transit to hospitals;

117 births in A&E departments, four in minor injury units and two in medical assessment areas;

115 births on other hospital wards and 36 in other unspecified areas including corridors;

399 in parts of maternity units other than labour beds, including postnatal and antenatal wards and reception areas.

Additionally, overstretched maternity units shut their doors to any more women in labour on 553 occasions last year.

Babies were born in offices, lifts, toilets and a caravan, according to the Freedom of Information data for 2007 and 2008 from 117 out of 147 trusts which provide maternity services.

One woman gave birth in a lift while being transferred to a labour ward from A&E while another gave birth in a corridor, said East Cheshire NHS Trust.

Others said women had to give birth on the wards - rather than in their own maternity room - because the delivery suites were full.

Tory health spokesman Andrew Lansley, who obtained the figures, said Labour had cut maternity beds by 2,340, or 22 per cent, since 1997. At the same time birth rates have been rising sharply - up 20 per cent in some areas.

Mr Lansley said: 'New mothers should not be being put through the trauma of having to give birth in such inappropriate places

George Gervin's Afro
08-26-2009, 12:51 PM
The babies born in hospital corridors: Bed shortage forces 4,000 mothers to give birth in lifts, offices and hospital toilets (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1209034/The-babies-born-hospital-corridors-Bed-shortage-forces-4-000-mothers-birth-lifts-offices-hospital-toilets.html)

Obama's not proposing a UK system so why is this an issue? Oh wait it's one o those "I'm trying to scare people' dealys.. never mind

Wild Cobra
08-26-2009, 12:52 PM
Obama's not proposing a UK system so why is this an issue? Oh wait it's one o those "I'm trying to scare people' dealys.. never mind
Because a government run ration conscience system is what we will end up with.

George Gervin's Afro
08-26-2009, 12:53 PM
Because a government run ration conscience system is what we will end up with.

In your opinion.

George Gervin's Afro
08-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Personally, I think it's insulting to compare our health system on any level to theirs. If we have the best healthcare in the world this should be a non-issue.

They are just making stuff up as usual. Par for the course..

antimvp
08-26-2009, 01:01 PM
http://limalimamikefoxtrot.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/terror_alert_level.jpg

TeyshaBlue
08-26-2009, 01:33 PM
And yet our birth mortality rate is higher....

24,000+ are born outside of hospitals in the US each year.

There's lots of grounds for honest debate in the ongoing healthcare reform movement. Clouding the discussion with non-sequiturs is not helping.

Wild Cobra
08-26-2009, 01:37 PM
And yet our birth mortality rate is higher....

24,000+ are born outside of hospitals in the US each year.

There's lots of grounds for honest debate in the ongoing healthcare reform movement. Clouding the discussion with non-sequiturs is not helping.
Well, I'm pretty certain our mortality rate is higher because of the way pregnant women treat themselves. Smoking, drinking, drugs, etc. while pregnant. Those are the easy ones! Diet and exercise are factors too. Then we have too many underweight babies born also. They should be more than 8 pounds.

angrydude
08-26-2009, 01:41 PM

This is why its relevant.

t7WNxrySFQA

But you already knew that.

ploto
08-26-2009, 01:43 PM
I'm guessing you were never in the Old Jefferson Davis hospital in Houston.

TeyshaBlue
08-26-2009, 01:46 PM
Well, I'm pretty certain our mortality rate is higher because of the way pregnant women treat themselves. Smoking, drinking, drugs, etc. while pregnant. Those are the easy ones! Diet and exercise are factors too. Then we have too many underweight babies born also. They should be more than 8 pounds.

That could very well be the case and certainly isn't unique to America, however. Regular healthcare also plays a role in this.
I'm not stating that infant mortality rates are the yardstick of effective healthcare. Indeed, the WHO report that is most often trotted out as the source of infant mortality rates world wide, is ridiculously compromised in it's methodology. That being said, the OP's latent intent to indict UK's healthcare system, not that it bears any resemblance whatsoever to what is proposed thus far in America, was a very intellectually dishonest move.

ChumpDumper
08-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Because a government run ration conscience system is what we will end up with.Prove it.

Wild Cobra
08-26-2009, 02:15 PM
Prove it.
Read HR 3200 and connect the dots. It's there. None of it is worded to say that, but the only logical conclusion will lead to it.

ChumpDumper
08-26-2009, 02:19 PM
You didn't prove it.

Wild Cobra
08-26-2009, 02:23 PM
You didn't prove it.
I've already connected the dots in other threads. Besides, I can never prove it to an insolent chump. Be happy I have you that much for your quest.

ChumpDumper
08-26-2009, 02:25 PM
I've already connected the dots in other threads.Link it.

101A
08-26-2009, 02:27 PM
Thousands of women are having to give birth outside maternity wards because of a lack of midwives and hospital beds.

All of my children were born at my house, in my bed; delivered by midwives. However, that doesn't change the fact that a "shortage of midwives" never is an issue in this country; hell if we ever ended up in a position where even a reasonable percentage of babies were born w/o an OB present, people would freak.

Glaringly obvious point: Midwives are cheaper than Doctors; people don't choose them to deliver their babies; apparently in Britain, they don't have that choice, and even at that, the number of midwives is MORE limited than the number of actual OB's here.

Wild Cobra
08-26-2009, 02:32 PM
Link it.
I'm too lazy to do your homework. I don't remember which thread or two, and I'm not doing your homework.

Small degree of recall has it that only government approved plans can be entered into at year +3. Existing plans are grandfathered, but cannot take in new people. Once you leave a plan (employer) you can only enter government approved plans. Existing plans will wither away as employers will no longer be able to insure new people under them. Government approved plans virtually mandate full coverage of everything. They will be so expensive, employers and common individuals will not be able to pay for them. Nearly all health insurance will turn to the government option. Only the filthy rich will be able to buy the government approved plans.

This is done by connecting three or four parts of HB3200. Don't know the sections right now, but it is there.

ChumpDumper
08-26-2009, 02:36 PM
Government approved plans virtually mandate full coverage of everything. They will be so expensive, employers and common individuals will not be able to pay for them.Prove it.

Anecdotes don't count.

There must have been some real independent study done for this.

hater
08-26-2009, 02:36 PM
In other news people die in Africa

Wild Cobra
08-26-2009, 02:37 PM
Prove it.

Anecdotes don't count.

There must have been some real independent study done for this.

Nothing is ever good enough for you. I'm done with your stupidity. It doesn't matter why I say, you'll just continue to play the childish "why game."

ChumpDumper
08-26-2009, 02:40 PM
Nothing is ever good enough for you.Your made up bullshit is not good enough for me.
I'm done with your stupidity.Alas, I know we're not done with yours.
It doesn't matter why I say, you'll just continue to play the childish "why game."No, it's the "prove that what you post isn't made up bullshit game."

And you lost.

Again.

jack sommerset
08-26-2009, 04:25 PM
No doubt in my mind this would happen in America. Unless there 50,000,000 more hospital beds hidden somewhere I don't know about.

ChumpDumper
08-26-2009, 04:28 PM
You're saying there would be 50 million more people in hospitals at the same time if this bill is passed.

jack sommerset
08-26-2009, 04:31 PM
You're saying there would be 50 million more people in hospitals at the same time if this bill is passed.

You never know. When people get something for free they come a running. I guess we will have to wait and see.

ChumpDumper
08-26-2009, 04:32 PM
How could they all have conditions that would require their being admitted all at once?

And isn't one of the arguments that these people already get free health care and hospitalizations?

DarrinS
08-26-2009, 04:34 PM
You never know. When people get something for free they come a running. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Announce free oil changes and see how many people show up at Jiffy Lube.

ChumpDumper
08-26-2009, 04:35 PM
But you guys say it's already free.

TeyshaBlue
08-26-2009, 04:36 PM
How could they all have conditions that would require their being admitted all at once?

Swine Flu.

TeyshaBlue
08-26-2009, 04:37 PM

Average weekend at Dallas Parkland.:wow

ChumpDumper
08-26-2009, 04:37 PM
Swine Flu.They would be admitted even without the passage of a health bill.

DarrinS
08-26-2009, 04:38 PM
Swine Flu.

It rubs the lotion on its skin. It does this when it is told.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin, or else it gets the hose again.

LOL at your avatar.

ChumpDumper
08-26-2009, 04:38 PM
Average weekend at Dallas Parkland.:wowYou're saying there are 50 million patients in Dallas Parkland on an average weekend.

TeyshaBlue
08-26-2009, 04:39 PM
You're saying there are 50 million patients in Dallas Parkland on an average weekend.

Yeah, Chump. That's what I'm saying.:lmao

TeyshaBlue
08-26-2009, 04:40 PM
It rubs the lotion on its skin. It does this when it is told.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin, or else it gets the hose again.

LOL at your avatar.

Are you a great big fat person?:rollin

ChumpDumper
08-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Yeah, Chump. That's what I'm saying.:lmaoYeah, that's what you are saying.

With all the hyperbole, exaggeration and outright lying -- it's no wonder there isn't anything here that can be called an honest debate about health care.

jack sommerset
08-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Seriously..... We don't have money and need to stop spending money we don't have.

TeyshaBlue
08-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Yeah, that's what you are saying.

With all the hyperbole, exaggeration and outright lying -- it's no wonder there isn't anything here that can be called an honest debate about health care.

Lighten up, Francis. I've been tryin to cut thru the bullshit all day. I'm just having a little fun for a bit. It'll be ok.

DarrinS
08-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Are you a great big fat person?:rollin

Put the fucking lotion in the basket!

TeyshaBlue
08-26-2009, 04:57 PM
Put the fucking lotion in the basket!

Don't you hurt my dog!:ihit