PDA

View Full Version : Some Tiago news

JiggaWhat99
08-26-2009, 01:06 PM
I read this article describing the Brazilian national team that's competing at FIBA:

"Have noticed for a few years that Tiago's footwork has been improving, and showcased a few sweet up/under step-thru moves at the Tuto Cup. Will finish with either hand, but his touch can falter sometimes. Tiago can put the ball on the deck as well, but more in a straight-line way. Basically, best all-around big not in the NBA.

Splitter & Varejao are the best defensive frontline. Both guys are comfortable moving away from the painted area, and adept at covering pick/rolls."

He will be a nice addition next year! :king

Oh by the way, you can see the Brazil vs. Dominican Republic game at 3PM central on ESPN360.com

http://thepaintedarea.blogspot.com/2009/08/2009-fiba-americas-team-capsules.html

Spursfan092120
08-26-2009, 01:07 PM
fucking better be here next year..

DPG21920
08-26-2009, 01:08 PM
That is nice to hear, and Brazil is playing today and you can watch at 4:00 EST.

I for one do not think he will ever be a Spur.

Libri
08-26-2009, 01:18 PM
The game I saw against Puerto Rico, Splitter scored easily in the paint, even though he was in foul trouble most of the game. He likes to back down his opponent and then use a hook shot. He doesn't seem to have a jumper. If he does, it seems that he rarely uses it.

DPG21920
08-26-2009, 01:20 PM
He is limited offensively, but his value lies in his length, athleticism and mobility and his ability to finish down low. He has a few good moves around the basket and good hands and can flush around the rim.

He is not freaky athletic like an Amare, but he is a nice athlete for his size.

wildbill2u
08-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Splitter may never play here. What is the attraction? Just playing in the NBA? That doesn't necessarily cut it any more if the money is good in Europe and a player feels like that is 'home'.

Muser
08-26-2009, 01:45 PM
Until he signs with us I couldn't give a fuck.

NFGIII
08-26-2009, 02:03 PM
Splitter may never play here. What is the attraction? Just playing in the NBA? That doesn't necessarily cut it any more if the money is good in Europe and a player feels like that is 'home'.

I agree.

Back in the 80's and until recently coming to the NBA was the European player's goal. After the Dream Team totally dominated the world at the Barcelona Olympics in 1992 it was apparant that the NBA was king. Who wouldn't want to come and play with the likes of those players? If you thought of yourself as any type of good to great player the NBA was where you went to prove it. I still believe that remains true but truth like beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. It seems that the lure of being in the NBA isn't as grest as it was back then.

Slumping US economy , CBA agreement on the financial limits of first round draft picks and the increasing quality of the Euroleague have had its effects on the NBA. IMHO.

Hopefully Tiago will come to the Spurs next year but until I see him in camp or hear about a verified report of a signed contract I'm not holding my breath. I remember the press conference back in '08. Him then signing with Tau really sucked.

Malice
08-26-2009, 02:04 PM
What Muser said. Plus how old is this guy right now? How old is he going to be when/if he signs here? Also, when do you stop calling a guy a developing "project" like they seem to adverstise this guy as?

robot89
08-26-2009, 02:07 PM
can someone post a link to the game?? plz! i dont have espn 360...

robot89
08-26-2009, 02:57 PM
link guys.
http://www.fromsport.com/video-63866.html

go tiago go get your ass to SA

EricB
08-26-2009, 03:07 PM
How many times doe the illegal links have to be deleted here before you morons get it?!?!??!

robot89
08-26-2009, 03:10 PM
hahahahah?!?!?!

Spurs Brazil
08-26-2009, 03:27 PM
Tiago a foul machine so far. Not playing well. 3PF already and it's only the beggining of the 2nd quarter

Libri
08-26-2009, 03:38 PM
Tiago a foul machine so far. Not playing well. 3PF already and it's only the beggining of the 2nd quarter

Was he biting on pump fakes?

Libri
08-26-2009, 03:43 PM
Splitter with 7 points at the half.

Spurs Brazil
08-26-2009, 03:45 PM
Tiago fouls were very stupid. He needs to play smarter

DPG21920
08-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Horford is struggling to guard Tiago. He is very sharp and decisive down low. 9 PTS 7 REB for Splitter.

DPG21920
08-26-2009, 04:00 PM
Charlie V seems to be struggling. Just picked up his 3rd foul on a dumb play and he only has 2 points.

DPG21920
08-26-2009, 04:03 PM
Tiago sets a good screen then rolls to the perfect spot, receives the ball, and smartly goes into Horford and draws the fourth foul on him.

DPG21920
08-26-2009, 04:05 PM
Charlie V draws the fourth foul on Splitter when he went crashing into the lane out of control. But very good hands from Charlie V.

DPG21920
08-26-2009, 04:10 PM
Charlie V starting to assert himself offensively. Has 12 points now.

SonOfAGun
08-26-2009, 04:13 PM

Scola has left a wound that cannot be healed. :depressed

DPG21920
08-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Tiago back in and draws a nice charge on Charlie V to foul him out in the 4th quarter with 5 minutes left.

Brazil is up by 2.

rayray2k8
08-26-2009, 04:41 PM
How many times doe the illegal links have to be deleted here before you morons get it?!?!??!

Chill out man, it's not even the NBA.
There isn't a rule against posting a FIBA link on spurstalk, as far as I know.

Thanks to the one who posted the link.

DPG21920
08-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Brazil wins by 13. Tiago drawing the charge on Charlie V and fouling him out with 5 minutes left turned the game. They were up by 2 at that point, and went on to win by double digits.

Splitter had a very solid 2nd half. He rebounded pretty well, ran the floor, was aggressive in drawing fouls on the offensive end and showed some excellent passing skills to guys making sharp cuts.

He set very good screens and did well in the offensive pick and roll. It is strange how he is so good in the pick and roll, because he always goes to the basket. Normally you would think you would have to have some kind of jump shot to keep defenses honest in the pick and roll, but he does not. He is just very quick for his size and goes to his spots immediately. Given, the DR did not have very great defensive bigs, but Horford is solid and he did a lot of damage against him. His FT's sucked, but he got to the line a lot.

His defense was pretty good in the second half, especially his help defense. He did pretty well at switching off onto smaller, quicker players although he looks much more rigid on defense than on offense. He did a decent job on closing out to shooters as well and forced some missed shots that way.

Overall nice impact in the second half.

Mel_13
08-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Boxscore:
http://www.fibaamericas.com/fnabox.asp?g=B&n=2&r=7045

DPG21920
08-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Major Players Stats:

Tiago Splitter: 24 Min/ 14 PTS / 10 REB / 3 STL / 1 BLK / 1 AST / 4 FLS / 4-8 FT / 63% FG

Anderson Varejao: 39 Min / 10 PTS / 10 REB / 1 STL / 2 BLK / O AST / 1 PF / 0 FT / 45% FG

Leandro Barbosa: 33 Min / 21 PTS / 4 REB / 4 AST / 4 TO / 4-5 FT / 7-10 FG / 1-8 3PT

Al Horford: 18 Min / 5 PTS / 7 REB / 2 STL / 0 BLK / 0 AST / 5 PF / 1-2 FT / 50 FG

Charlie Villaneuva: 22 Min / 14 PTS / 5 REB / 1 STL / 0 BLK / 5 PF / 1-2 FT / 71% FG

Francisco Garcia: 39 Min / 17 PTS / 2 REB / 1 STL / 5 BLK / 3 AST / 5-10 3PT / 1-4 FG

DPG21920
08-26-2009, 06:56 PM
Did anyone else watch the game? If so, what was your opinion of Tiago?

Mel_13
08-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Damn

Argentina taking it on the chin, down more than 20 with less than 4 minutes left in the game. The link from the Brazil game still works.

Spurs Brazil
08-26-2009, 07:26 PM
Did anyone else watch the game? If so, what was your opinion of Tiago?

I saw it. I think Tiago played well in the 2nd half after a 1st half he committed 3 very stupid fouls.

Every time I see him play in Brazil NT, year after year he's better. If he really arrive in San Antonio next season he'll be ready to play some rotation minutes

mystargtr34
08-26-2009, 08:16 PM
Splitter outplaying proven NBA players, nothing new.

Danny.Zhu
08-26-2009, 09:29 PM
It's nice to hear that, until you said he is in the same level as Varejao on defense.

SpurNation
08-26-2009, 09:36 PM
I won't hold my breath regarding Splitter. His game is not ready for the NBA though he looks really good in the NT's and Euros but seriously...how much NBA level talent is in those leagues at the position he plays.

IMHO...I think he would get used and abused in the NBA at this point.

Would you consider him better for the team than Mahinmi?

DPG21920
08-26-2009, 09:43 PM
Yes, from what I have seen, Tiago seems much more ready than Ian.

Mel_13
08-26-2009, 09:47 PM
I won't hold my breath regarding Splitter. His game is not ready for the NBA though he looks really good in the NT's and Euros but seriously...how much NBA level talent is in those leagues at the position he plays.

Splitter was the best player on one of the top two teams in the Spanish League, which is one of the top 3 leagues in Europe. His team made it to the final 8 of the Euroleague playoffs, the top club level competition outside of the NBA.

Mahinmi was once the best player on a D League finalist.

Spursone
08-26-2009, 10:35 PM
A to the AMEN! :lol

SpurNation
08-26-2009, 11:07 PM
Splitter was the best player on one of the top two teams in the Spanish League, which is one of the top 3 leagues in Europe. His team made it to the final 8 of the Euroleague playoffs, the top club level competition outside of the NBA.

Would be interesting if NBA D-league teams were allowed to play Euroleague teams.

mountainballer
08-27-2009, 03:21 AM

jesus, that's like asking if Manu would be better for the team, or Sanikidze.
between Tiago and Ian are lightyears in any aspect of the game. (except Ian's athleticism)
and even looking at Tiago's most obvious weakness (fouls), in this department Ian easily redoubles any ridiculous number from Tiago.
IMO Tiago is currently slightly better than Scola was at the same age, his size and athleticism should help him to translate his game quickly to the NBA.
his ceiling likely is starting center on a PO team, the worst case might be regular rotation player, he shouldn't have a problem to become at least the 3rd best big on any NBA team.
Ian's ceiling right now seems to be 4th big and even this I wouldn't bet on. the worst case is that he never really makes it into the league, not even as the 5th big in a rotation and will be back in Europe in 2 years.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-27-2009, 04:20 AM
Best all around big not in NBA.....:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:l mao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Bourousis and especially Pekovic are way better.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-27-2009, 04:23 AM

:blah:rollin:rolleyes

He has NEVER EVER NEVER been the best player of Baskonia.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-27-2009, 04:24 AM
Would be interesting if NBA D-league teams were allowed to play Euroleague teams.

I hope this is a joke. The best D-League players would are lucky to even make a Euroleague roster. And forget about them making a roster of a big Euroleaguie club because they could not do it.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-27-2009, 04:25 AM
Half that is because Ian has not played too much in the past year and a half. I'll be interested to see how he does in the preseason and how it carries over into the regular season.

You are a really funny guy. Splitter is far better than the POS Mahinmi.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-27-2009, 04:26 AM
jesus, that's like asking if Manu would be better for the team, or Sanikidze.
between Tiago and Ian are lightyears in any aspect of the game. (except Ian's athleticism)
and even looking at Tiago's most obvious weakness (fouls), in this department Ian easily redoubles any ridiculous number from Tiago.
IMO Tiago is currently slightly better than Scola was at the same age, his size and athleticism should help him to translate his game quickly to the NBA.
his ceiling likely is starting center on a PO team, the worst case might be regular rotation player, he shouldn't have a problem to become at least the 3rd best big on any NBA team.
Ian's ceiling right now seems to be 4th big and even this I wouldn't bet on. the worst case is that he never really makes it into the league, not even as the 5th big in a rotation and will be back in Europe in 2 years.

Do not EVER compare Splitter to Scola. Are you crazy or are you just high right now? He will NEVER be anything even close to Scola. PERIOD

mountainballer
08-27-2009, 05:01 AM
Do not EVER compare Splitter to Scola. Are you crazy or are you just high right now? He will NEVER be anything even close to Scola. PERIOD

:sleep
talking about talent level and ceiling. not player type and position. read before answer. think before talk nonsense. (ok, that's expecting to much from a retard psychopath)

hsxvvd
08-27-2009, 06:48 AM

You should be asking how much Euroleague talent is in the NBA? :stirpot:

mystargtr34
08-27-2009, 07:18 AM

24 years old, 7'0" 260 with mobility and athleticism to effectively guard the pick and roll, very solid post up game which is developed and already at NBA level, solid basketball IQ and a good passer.

Thats NBA-ready enough for me.

exstatic
08-27-2009, 07:54 AM

That.

I'm really only concerned with the players on the roster or fighting to get there. Tiago Splitter may never play one minute for the Spurs, and therefor, isn't worth getting all excited about.

Malice
08-27-2009, 08:16 AM
So glad to here this guy is doing great.

Just trade his rights to a division rival and get it over with Spurs.

Agloco
08-27-2009, 09:03 AM
What Muser said. Plus how old is this guy right now? How old is he going to be when/if he signs here? Also, when do you stop calling a guy a developing "project" like they seem to adverstise this guy as?

He turns 25 on New Years Day. I don't recall the Spurs ever labeling Splitter as a project. As I recall, most believed that he was NBA material as far back as 4 years ago.

The project you refer to is Ian Mahinmi. This year will go a long way in determining his long term role with the Spurs.

Muser
08-27-2009, 09:14 AM
This board is gonna hype Tiago up so much if he comes over.

exstatic
08-27-2009, 09:38 AM
This board is gonna hype Tiago up so much if he comes over.

Y'Know, if he signs, I'll be happy to speculate on his career, how he'll play in the NBA, what role he'll play on the team, etc. Until then, I don't GAF.