PDA

View Full Version : Beno in doghouse?

Cant_Be_Faded
04-10-2005, 09:18 PM
Sorry if this has been posted already

but he played like one possession last night

and tonight mike wilks has more time logged than him

did he do something malik-esque that i did not realize?

or is he hurt

timvp
04-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Not knowing time and score.

Not rotating.

Leaving his feet to pass.

Hesitating on his shot.

He's playing like he's ready for a summer vacation, honestly.

pigknuckles
04-10-2005, 09:21 PM
I think tonight Pop wants to take advantage of bdavis and fisher with quicker guard lineup.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-10-2005, 09:21 PM
:lol

poor beno

well maybe its just a temporary wall

Spurminator
04-10-2005, 09:22 PM
Doghouse? I don't know... looks more like the Shithouse lately.

pigknuckles
04-10-2005, 09:23 PM
Whoever is going to back up TP, should at this point be logging a good chunk of minutes, imo.

T Park
04-10-2005, 09:28 PM
well maybe its just a temporary wall

hes been playing like this since February.

DOnt know WTF his deal is.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-10-2005, 09:28 PM
Rookie wall.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-10-2005, 09:34 PM
It shouldnt be much of a problem.

Both manu and barry can play and have played point guard in the NBA.

In fact, last night i was really surprised with all the fucked up lineups pop gave us that we didnt see a Barry, Manu, Robinson, and two bigs line up when we were being tentative and slow on offense

T Park
04-10-2005, 09:37 PM
with all the fucked up lineups

Pop fucked em up, or because of injuries.

I hope you answer B.

Dario
04-11-2005, 03:07 AM
Pop being a great coach and all, i respect him, but he made a mistake when he was trying to improve(correct) the lineup that owned everyone during first half of the year. If someone got games from back then i recommend watching like i did, its a big difference and shame really. I was convinced that spurs got rings this year in their pockets, now i give you guys 20%.

Kori Ellis
04-11-2005, 03:13 AM
Pop being a great coach and all, i respect him, but he made a mistake when he was trying to improve(correct) the lineup that owned everyone during first half of the year.

I know you aren't talking about the starting lineup because Pop can't control the injuries. If you are talking about the bench lineup that excelled earlier in the season, that lineup included Devin and Malik -- they aren't here.

Dario, have you seen Beno play lately? He's losing playing time because he's messing up, not for any other reason. He's regressed defensively over the last few weeks. Against the Warriors, he dribbled out the clock because he wasn't paying attention to how much time was left. He almost got a backcourt violation twice because he wasn't watching the clock. And he's missing his defensive rotations big time.

whottt
04-11-2005, 04:34 AM
Beno's playing like a rookie...most of the season he had zero pressure, zero reputation and zero expectation, and Pop had made Barry the team bitch..

When the pressure got turned up due to injury...Beno started playing like the rookie he is...this is why I defended Barry when people wanted to forget about him and make Beno and Devin the backbone of the rotation...

Barry's problem wasn't stepping up under pressure...it was not having any pressure, not being needed by his team. Giving up everything he had made for himself in Seattle, money, starting, and suddenly being less valued on a team than rookies and NBDL players...

I think Beno greatly benefits from Tim Duncan being on the floor...so I do not want him out of the rotation...especially since he has probably shot better of kickouts from Duncan that anyone on the team this season...but I am not surprised he's playing like the rookie he is...I am also still wary of totally going with Devin, he played great against LA last season..but he also had no expectation, no reputation, and no pressure to produce...I don't want to get AD'ed again...

I think the truth is Beno and Devin probably play better with Duncan than Barry does, at least during the regular parts of the game...but he doesn't seem to need Duncan and the 4 down offense seems to hurt his performance(althouth the team performs well period)...so maybe he should be the guy off the bench running the offense when Duncan isn't in the game...Let Beno be the shooter...and Barry will probably perform better during the times he is playing the inside out game with Duncan if he's getting started in other ways...

Dario
04-11-2005, 07:30 AM
Last game i saw was when duncan went out, my job takes to much of my time atm, but i was watching first spurs lakers game and first sputs boston game afterwards. You must watch it after you watch a game these days, its like looking at good old days. And i m not talking only for beno, its the whole team starters included. Spurs game against mavs will probably be painfull to watch.
PS: its like lakers, they had it all, now they have kobe (me frustrated :( )
Edit: and another indicator how low spurs have come are threads on this forum, before spurs were 10-1 and people here whined about that loss, now forum is full of threads like "we still believe in this team" etc.

bigbendbruisebrother
04-11-2005, 10:04 AM
Edit: and another indicator how low spurs have come are threads on this forum, before spurs were 10-1 and people here whined about that loss, now forum is full of threads like "we still believe in this team" etc.

Low? WTF? Despite losing their starting power forward, center and arguably their best 6th man, and despite having to integrate two new players and a host of unplayed scrubs, the spurs have won 7 of their last 10, are a 1/2 game back from the top seed and one win away from clinching the southwest division. Have they been through some tough shit? Yes. Have they let it drag them down? No. They've responded, which I'll admit was something I wasn't totally confident about.

The adversity this team has faced has been tremendous, and they may just have learned something that will carry them to another championship: how to play with poise on the road (which is something they haven't been able to do consistently even in the "good old days" as you describe them).

SequSpur
04-11-2005, 06:24 PM
Man, I get executed for posting shit like this.

Is Beno in the doghouse? No, he just sucks.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-11-2005, 06:28 PM
Man, I get executed for posting shit like this.

Is Beno in the doghouse? No, he just sucks.

thats cuz you probably flat out say he sucks like u just did

RobinsontoDuncan
04-11-2005, 06:41 PM
I think Beno is going to be a stud in this league.

ducks
04-11-2005, 06:43 PM
he maybe but he is stinking up the spurs right now

slayermin
04-11-2005, 07:23 PM
Beno's confidence is at the lowest point all-season. He needs to be put in situations that can build it back up.

But also, I think Pop is giving Wilks and Marks a long look because it's probably between those two for the last spot on the playoff roster.

MannyIsGod
04-11-2005, 07:30 PM
It's kinda funny though. As much as you guys bag on Sequ because he says certain players suck, he's kind of right.

If Beno was playing for a different team, no one here would be saying he was going to be a stud. You'd be calling him a scrub. Derrick Dial anyone? Antonio Daniels anyone? Samaki Walker anyone?

All Spurs players that people thought were going to be studs, and turned out to be DUDS. (I knew I shouldn't, but I couldn't stop :lol)

But seriously, Beno has shown flashes of being a good point guard, but he's shown just as many flashes of being an NBA never was. It's not an easy leauge to excel in and I woudln't be suprised if he never develops.

That being said, I still think the Spurs should hold onto him because he has shown promise. I'm not sure how I feel about him on the playoff roster. Up untill maybe recently, I would have said he was a lock. But Wilks has played well, and Beno has just sputtered. I don't know, but at least we have 5 more games before the decision has to be made.

Kori Ellis
04-11-2005, 07:32 PM
As much as you guys bag on Sequ because he says certain players suck, he's kind of right.

So Manu is a scrub?

:)

MannyIsGod
04-11-2005, 07:36 PM
I said kinda. And I as talking about his opinion of Beno. He was wrong about Manu and he knows it.

slayermin
04-11-2005, 07:38 PM
Beno has to be a lock on that playoff roster. Wilks as the backup point? I just don't feel that at all.

I like Wilks as an extra point guard to guard guys like Nash and Boykins. But he is too small to play against most of the other points, Imo.

ducks
04-11-2005, 07:40 PM
wilks atleast plays d beno does not

MannyIsGod
04-11-2005, 07:41 PM
But you can also carry Barry who is taller and can also play the point. Beno is too slow to keep up with any point guard, so what does it matter if he has height?

Height means absolutely jack shit when you're behind the man you're supposed be in front of.

timvp
04-11-2005, 07:43 PM
Once upon a time this season, Beno was a decent defender. I just think he needs to get his head back into the game.

Pop knows this and will probably try to give him a little more time down the stretch.

slayermin
04-11-2005, 07:44 PM
wilks atleast plays d beno does not

I agree. But I still think Beno is the better overall player.

picnroll
04-11-2005, 07:44 PM
That being said, I still think the Spurs should hold onto him because he has shown promise. I'm not sure how I feel about him on the playoff roster. Up untill maybe recently, I would have said he was a lock. But Wilks has played well, and Beno has just sputtered. I don't know, but at least we have 5 more games before the decision has to be made.

Wilks has just sucked less than Beno.

Speedy > Hart > Beno to date.

So far the Spurs haven't shown they have they've solved back-up PG spot. God thing Parker's building up his endurance for the playffs in all these double OT games.

slayermin
04-11-2005, 07:47 PM
Do some of you think Beno should be or will be left off the playoff roster?

MannyIsGod
04-11-2005, 07:50 PM
I don't know who should be on the PO roster. Last night, we discussed that a possible matchup with Denver might predicate having Wilks on the roster.

There are too many close battles right now to call it. 5 more games left in the season, and the coaching staff are going all of them to decide who is on and who is off. I'm rooting for Beno to pull his head out of his ass, because I love his court vision. I generaly think he's capable of running the offense better than Wilks, but I'm not sure he will play to his potential.

pjjrfan
04-11-2005, 07:50 PM
He keeps throwing the ball away and has lost some confidence in his shot, and lately he has been exploited by the other teams offense. I think he will be fine, he just needs to work his way out of it, but it tough at this level when your coach decides it's one mistake and your out. I notice Pop doesn't scream at Beno like he did Tony or grab him or pull him aside like the angry dad, that tough love he gave Tony so maybe Pop doesn't think that Beno isn't as mentally strong as TP. I agree with Whott, guys have a way of excelling when no one is paying attention to them, but once they get your number in this league, you need to toughen up, and work harder cause the players and coaches won't let up, everybodys trying to survive in this league, if you falter they will keep coming at you until the coaches have no choice but to pull you out and sit you down.

pjjrfan
04-11-2005, 07:52 PM
Well, I'm thinking if Devin comes back, we will be seeing Barry play more mins. at the point behind Tony besides his other duties.

MannyIsGod
04-11-2005, 07:56 PM
Well, once teams saw what he could do, they defended it. Scouting is a bitch in the NBA.

Also, that last point you made about Devin is one I talked about a while back and I think it's really important. If Devin comes back healthy, and I think he will, in an effort to play Barry a regular amount as well I think Pop will definetly give him time at the backup 1. Honestly, I'd rather have Barry running it with Devin in the game. I think that's one of the best ways to use all of the players we have in a very effective manner.

slayermin
04-11-2005, 07:57 PM
Hopefully Beno does pull through.

Pop and the rest of the coaching staff has a lot to think about.

Nikos
04-11-2005, 08:31 PM
Antonio Daniels a DUD? Hardly.

He is one of the better backup PG's in the league and has been a valuable piece to Seattle's offense AND defense (despite being poor as a team on that end).

SequSpur
04-11-2005, 08:41 PM
So Manu is a scrub?

:)

I never said he was a scrub. I said if he can't play a full season and start then he should go back home.

I am sick and tired of the Manu bullshit excuses.

Dude can either play or he can't.

He can't more than he can.

slayermin
04-11-2005, 09:06 PM
I am sick and tired of the Manu bullshit excuses.

Dude can either play or he can't.

He can't more than he can.

I thought it was Pop that makes the excuses for Manu.

bigbendbruisebrother
04-11-2005, 10:14 PM
Do some of you think Beno should be or will be left off the playoff roster?

In a way, he is getting a similar treatment to what Parker did three years ago, except that TP responded to Pop's rage by upping his game. Beno seems to shrink at it. It's frustrating that Pop seems from a fan perspective to have one style of coaching--play them when they're on track, scream at them when they suck, and bench their asses when they don't respond.

The bizarre thing is that Beno's defense has become so sucky when earlier in the year he seemed to understand the system and was thriving. To me, everything we saw from him earlier in the season was either 1, a fluke, or 2, he's evidence that Pop's seemingly uniform way of dealing with players regardless of experience or personality is actually slowing his progress.

I don't know. Maybe that's just the way the game goes--you can't reach every guy and form him as you wish. But damn, I wish the coaching staff would have a breakthrough with Beno, because I think he really has the potential to contribute again in a huge way.

Who knows, maybe this whole phase is just Pop's CIA way of getting into Beno's head so that he'll perform as expected in the playoffs.

In the end though, if Pop is just going to keep him in the doghouse until he responds, and he's just going to be a Steve Smith at the end of the bench during the playoffs, then yes, drop him from the playoff roster so that guys who are contributing can continue to do so.

bigbendbruisebrother
04-11-2005, 10:17 PM
[QUOTE=MannyIsGod]Well, once teams saw what he could do, they defended it. Scouting is a bitch in the NBA.[QUOTE]

Good point.

Slomo
04-12-2005, 03:23 AM
Beno is a rookie.

We were discussing on this board, when he was drafted, that he landed in probably the best team to develop into a real NBA player. I still believe this to be true.

I think his early success combined with a 82 game season is catching up with him. He also had a busy summer and IIRC he was talking of being tired around the All Star weekend. I also think that the unusual rotations that Pop ran after the AS threw him out of his rythm. This I believe are the reasons for his current performance.

Now after all this is said I also think he should work through it and get back to being a contributor to this team. At this point we have no other option than to trust Pop and the coaching staff to bring him back for the Playoffs.

I still think he can be a top NBA player as long as he remains concentrated on basketball.

Phenomanul
04-12-2005, 10:19 AM
Is Beno's doghouse really so big that all 101 dalmations can fit inside????

I don't think so....

So much talk about him hitting the rookie wall, about this factor or that factor.... to me the issue it is simpler:

Beno plays well with a guy like Duncan on the floor... if he hasn't been as hot lately is because no one in the post is demanding double teams anymore.

Has he lost his confidence lately? Perhaps, but IMO Beno should still be included on the playoff roster.

Rummpd
04-12-2005, 12:24 PM
MannyisGod:

Nice post and wise beyond your 25 years IMO (most of time).