PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio Standing Strong As Western Conference Favorites

duncan228
08-26-2009, 07:53 PM
San Antonio Standing Strong as Western Conference Favorites (http://www.betus.com/sports-betting/nba-basketball/articles/san-antonio-standing-strong-as-western-conference-favorites/)
by Tim Furious
Betus.com

For ten years, no team has been more consistent than the San Antonio Spurs. The transition from David Robinson to Tim Duncan was flawlessly orchestrated, and the Spurs have been in the playoffs for the past ten straight years. They’ve even accounted for four of the last ten NBA Championships, and Gregg Popovich has become the best coach in the league outside of Phil Jackson. Consistency in a league that sees too many trades, and is crippled by free-agency and guaranteed contracts, is the unicorn of the current NBA. That’s why the Spurs are going to win the NBA Championship this year.

As the Lakers and Nuggets soared to the Western Conference Finals during the 2008-09 NBA betting season, the Spurs lost out to injury. The Big Three in San Antonio, Duncan-Parker-Ginobli, missed a total of 55 games last season. Without Ginobli, the Spurs were canon fodder in the first round against Dallas. While Tim Duncan is the game’s best power-forward of all-time, and Parker continues his ascension as an elite point-guard, Manu’s reckless lane crashing is what steadied the Spurs. Without him, and a healthy Duncan, the Spurs were helpless.

But there are two new arrivals in San Antonio that have me buzzing about this team. It’s always shard to find a chink in the armor of a team that’s won four championships in ten seasons, but injuries are a big concern for San Antonio. Yet, Duncan found a new power-forward to back him up in the NBA draft when Pittsburgh’s DeJuan Blair fell to them in the second round. And the first move of NBA free-agency may prove to be the most important. The Spurs acquired Richard “Skywalker” Jefferson from the wire, finding a replacement/backup to Manu Ginobli they so desperately needed.

Jefferson averaged 19.6 points and 4.6 rebounds as a Milwaukee Buck last season. He was a large reason the Bucks were such a spread busting favorite before Michael Redd’s knees exploded. Except for the New Jersey Nets era with Jason Kidd and Vince Carter, Jefferson has never been on a championship caliber team. The eight-year swing man has also survived the past two years without missing a single game, which is something of value to a Spurs team that is aging faster than they’d like to.

Blair is a longshot to be an NBA rookie of the year candidate, and his knees remain a question mark. But in reduced minutes, he can be damn effective. He bullied opposing power-forwards at the college level and was a force to be reckoned with in the NCAA March Madness Tournament. Tim Duncan accounts for 34 minutes a game, and McDyess and Blair will be able to pick up the slack in the rest of those other 14 minutes. Reducing Blair’s exposure to injury will be paramount to the success of the front court in San Antonio.

With a healthy Big Three, and some excellent role-players, including the sharp-shooting Roger Mason, the Spurs have plenty to be excited about. For once, this team may be about scoring, making their likelihood of busting the spread throughout the year an actual possibility.

The big buzz in Texas, however, is also swirling out of the speculation that the addition of Ron Artest to the Lakers is going to be a disaster. Artest is a me-first player, whose explosive nature has made him the most combustible player in the league. The Lakers just won an NBA Championship, and are entering the season as favorites to repeat yet again. But losing a role-player like Ariza to an attention-whore and calamity magnet like Artest could give the Spurs just the opening they want.

The clock is ticking on Duncan’s knees. The time is now for San Antonio.

honestfool84
08-26-2009, 10:03 PM
thank you, 228.

good read.

mookie2001
08-26-2009, 10:05 PM
thank you, 228.

good read.she didnt write it

WildcardManu
08-26-2009, 10:19 PM
she didnt write it

but she found it.

honestfool84
08-26-2009, 10:20 PM
because mookie2001 is a stupid ass who doesn't understand what i meant..

thank you, 288, for finding it and posting it.

BOHOLANO#21
08-27-2009, 12:08 AM

:lol

z0sa
08-27-2009, 12:09 AM

who's 288?

ducks
08-27-2009, 12:11 AM
duncan228

JWest596
08-27-2009, 12:38 AM
Still a good summertime read.

VivaPopovich
08-27-2009, 01:08 AM
i hope pop will coach the transition from duncan to the next franchise player(s)

my guess is that george hill and dejuan blair will be two of the next "Big 3"

BWS-1994
08-27-2009, 07:01 AM
Richard Jefferson as the "Skywalker"?

ThePop
08-27-2009, 07:14 AM
I'm getting tired of these articles
Bring on the Season :flag:

2Cleva
08-27-2009, 07:50 AM
The big buzz in Texas, however, is also swirling out of the speculation that the addition of Ron Artest to the Lakers is going to be a disaster. Artest is a me-first player, whose explosive nature has made him the most combustible player in the league. The Lakers just won an NBA Championship, and are entering the season as favorites to repeat yet again. But losing a role-player like Ariza to an attention-whore and calamity magnet like Artest could give the Spurs just the opening they want.

The clock is ticking on Duncan’s knees. The time is now for San Antonio.

LMAO. From a betting site as well?

Maybe he's trying to drum up people to put money on SA?

lefty
08-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Yay

Jinxing :tu

hater
08-27-2009, 10:08 AM

:lol

Cry Havoc
08-27-2009, 11:16 AM
she didnt write it

Yes she did. As obvious by the

San Antonio Standing Strong as Western Conference Favorites
by Tim Furious
Betus.com

in the article header.

You're a tool.

Interrohater
08-27-2009, 11:50 AM
bwahaha! he called Artest an attention whore... I think that is probably the only context in which you can call someone a whore in a professional setting.

mookie2001
08-27-2009, 12:29 PM
Yes she did. As obvious by the

San Antonio Standing Strong as Western Conference Favorites
by Tim Furious
Betus.com

in the article header.

You're a tool.
Oh so she DID write it?

sorry Haley

2Cleva
08-27-2009, 12:37 PM
So a team can lose in the first round in 5 with HCA to a team that got killed the next round yet with a couple additions they vault to the top of the conference?

Yeah, the Spurs are contenders but you gotta be one of the biggest Homers to put a team at the top of a conference considering their last 2 seasons.

ShoogarBear
08-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Who's this 288 chick? Kinda sexy looking.

Shastafarian
08-27-2009, 12:39 PM
So a team can lose in the first round in 5 with HCA to a team that got killed the next round yet with a couple additions they vault to the top of the conference?

Yeah, the Spurs are contenders but you gotta be one of the biggest Homers to put a team at the top of a conference considering their last 2 seasons.

The 2010 Lakers probably won't be very good because they missed the playoffs in 2005. Different team. Different season.

2Cleva
08-27-2009, 01:01 PM
The 2010 Lakers probably won't be very good because they missed the playoffs in 2005. Different team. Different season.

5 seasons in difference is not the same as the following year.

People banking on SA's championship experience but only 4 guys on that team have won a ring.

Shastafarian
08-27-2009, 01:07 PM
5 seasons in difference is not the same as the following year.Oh ok so it doesn't matter what players a team adds. If they didn't do well the previous year, they're not title contenders. Gotcha.

And I'm not saying they should be above the Lakers. But Laker fans "Dallas pwned you" argument is so tired and stupid.

Showtime24 LAKERS
08-27-2009, 01:33 PM
LOL The Favorites? i dont think so :nope

exstatic
08-27-2009, 01:45 PM
5 seasons in difference is not the same as the following year.

People banking on SA's championship experience but only 4 guys on that team have won a ring.

Didn't the Lakers win it this year with only Fish and Kobe having previous rings? You guys were also pretty much also-rans a/o 2007, so it wasn't 5 years, either.

And I think you counted wrong:

TD 4
Tony 3
Manu 3
Finley 1
Bonner 1

2Cleva
08-27-2009, 01:54 PM
Shastafarian - I said they were contenders originally. I laugh at being favorites.

exstatic - the year prior, LA at least went to the Finals, losing in 6. Picking them as favorites going into last year would mean believing they could win 2 more playoff games then they did the year before - hardly a stretch.

But SA with HCA got dumped in Round 1 by a team that got stomped the next round. From that to favorites? Did they get LeBron? Kobe? A top 20 player? Hell, the only All-Star they added was McDyess and that was nearly 10 years ago.

Bonner? OK - we'll count him too. LOL.

exstatic
08-27-2009, 02:06 PM
SA added two players with Finals experience at positions of need: post and wing.

Uh, and it's about Western Conference favorites. You went from first round out to WC champs in 1 year with less overall roster improvement. Gasol was nice, but he was one player at one position.

2Cleva
08-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Gasol was a current All-Star and had led teams to the playoffs by himself.

If SA was offerred Gasol for Jefferson and Dyess they do that move faster that Pop's hair turns white.

And that was in a situation where no other WC contender significantly improved and LA wasn't fighting Father Time and injuries.

Fabbs
08-27-2009, 02:21 PM
duncan228
duncan228 is Kori?

mookie2001
08-27-2009, 02:22 PM
duncan228 is Kori?
i don't get it?

No

Phenomanul
08-27-2009, 02:23 PM
Shastafarian - I said they were contenders originally. I laugh at being favorites.

exstatic - the year prior, LA at least went to the Finals, losing in 6. Picking them as favorites going into last year would mean believing they could win 2 more playoff games then they did the year before - hardly a stretch.

But SA with HCA got dumped in Round 1 by a team that got stomped the next round. From that to favorites? Did they get LeBron? Kobe? A top 20 player? Hell, the only All-Star they added was McDyess and that was nearly 10 years ago.

They added a top 5 shooting guard to the mix... you might remember him... a guy by the name of Emanuel "Manu" Ginobili... Wait? Wasn't this guy partly responsible for gaining them homecourt advantage in the first place..???

Your argument would be validated if Ginobili had played in that series loss against Dallas.

As for why anybody would think they were WC favorites (or at least on par with your Lakers) well.... Duncan has healed from his quad-tendonosis and will be entering the season at what used to be his playing weight (240 LBS) prior to his knee surgery in 2000.

And Parker has shown no signs of slowing down... he has statistically bettered himself every single year he's been in the league...

To top it off... the Spurs gained a top 20 wing player in RJ. A caliber veteran 4 in Dice. And a marked improvement in the backup PG position (GHill) that will allow our deadliest shooter (Mason) to play where he plays best... off the ball at the 2.

Anything Blair, Bonner, Finley, Ratliff, Mahinmi, or Haislip contribute at that point will be considered pure gravy...

2Cleva
08-27-2009, 02:24 PM
A healthy Manu? What's next, Sasquatch at the 5 next to Duncan? The Loch Ness Monster as the Kobe-stopper off the bench?

mookie2001
08-27-2009, 02:25 PM
but for the lakers time is nothing

they arent bound by polarity, time or space

exstatic
08-27-2009, 02:26 PM
If SA was offerred Gasol for Jefferson and Dyess they do that move faster that Pop's hair turns white.

Not sure about that. Dice has a better rebounding rate than Gasol, and while his scoring is not as good, RJ will more than make up for that. That hypothetical trade would also leave the cupboard bare on wing scoring for SA. I'll take the depth and extra scoring with RJ and Dice. You guys keep Gasol. You'll need him when Bynum goes down again this year.

completely deck
08-27-2009, 02:27 PM
The Laker fans are so scared they are trolling preseason threads :lmao

The_Game
08-27-2009, 02:28 PM
Nos sure about that. Dice has a better rebounding rate than Gasol, and while his scoring is not as good, RJ will more than make up for that. That hypothetical trade would also leave the cupboard bare on wing scoring for SA. I'll take the depth and extra scoring with RJ and Dice. You guys keep Gasol. You'll need him when Bynum goes down again this year.

As you will need Jefferson when Manu goes down AGAIN

To say you would turn down Gasol for Jefferson and Dice is a joke..

Demo Dick Marcinko
08-27-2009, 02:34 PM

I guess you're easily amused. You're like the typical laker lemming repeating the same old tired mantra over and over in hopes that it comes true.

1) last year we were easily bounced from our 1st round series with the ponies because Manu did not play. It's looking like we have him back and he's healthy. We now have Jefferson and a very good second year player in George Hill to spell him and we don't have to use Manu as much during the regular season. And please do yourself a favor and don't forget we still have Roger Mason who can spot up shoot with the best of 'em and can score in bunches. Last year because the ponies could play Tim one on one, Roger didn't get those looks. He will this year.

2)Duncan was 60-70% at best. There were 65 year old men lapping him out on the running track. If you took your blinders off you'd know he wasn't the Duncan of old for a legitimate reason. This year he's healthy and he's back.

3)And we had rice paper thin bench. We had no other impact players. This year we added some very nice impact and role players like Dice, Blair Beast, Theo and Haislip (who I think can make Odom work hard and will diminish his effectiveness IMO) I didn't say he was on Odoms level, but he's athletic enough to cause Odom to work on both sides of the ball.

4)You've already counted your chickens before they hatched. Classic blunder. Somehow you've predetermined that psycho, I mean Artest is going to come in and the chemistry fairy is going to sprinkle him with bubble gum and lollipops. Yeah right! We don't know for a fact that he will come in and add to team chemistry and make the lakers better, BUT NEITHER DO YOU HOMERS.

5)You blinders-aided homers just can't seem to accept that losing Arriza is in reality a down grade. He is a very good defensive player and was dependable with the long ball. You refuse to accept that Ron-Ron has lost a step; several actually on the defensive side and that he's a chucker and will take all kinds of crazy shots. Makes me think that you don't watch a lot of NBA especially other teams other then the lakers. If you had and if you had been paying attention, you'd know that Artest wasn't even close to being the best defensive player on the rockets. I think most reasonable and logical thinking people think that Arriza makes your team better rather then Ron-Ron, who happens to be getting by on his old reputation.

I personally still think that the lakers are still the team to beat, but it's not out of the realm of possibility, it's not crazy talk and shouldn't amuse you that in all actuality the Spurs are the best team. For now the lakers get the paper championship because they are the defending champions and not because you, I or anybody thinks they're the best team. We'll need to play the season out to determine that.

mookie2001
08-27-2009, 02:36 PM
2)Duncan was 60-70% at best. There were 65 year old men lapping him out on the running track. If you took your blinders off you'd know he wasn't the Duncan of old for a legitimate reason. This year he's healthy and he's back.
? youre not helping the cause man, youre just making spurs fans look like whiny twats who dont know shit

exstatic
08-27-2009, 02:39 PM

Not really. I like Gasol. I've said that. It leaves too big a hole on the wing to do that trade. Pau is essentailly an 18/9 guy. If need be, we could probably get that 18 points from RJ, and the 9 rebounds from Blair, making McDyess 10/10 just gravy.

Demo Dick Marcinko
08-27-2009, 02:40 PM
A healthy Manu? What's next, Sasquatch at the 5 next to Duncan? The Loch Ness Monster as the Kobe-stopper off the bench?

Not that Gasol is the impact player Manu is; lets say Pau goes down with injury. How far do you think you'd get. What's Phil gonna do, suit up and come in as the 6th man?

Demo Dick Marcinko
08-27-2009, 02:42 PM
? youre not helping the cause man, youre just making spurs fans look like whiny twats who dont know shit

You telling me that Duncan was healthy during the latter half of the season and the play offs. Seems to me ass wipe if you're saying that Duncan being injured didn't lead to our playoff demise then you're the one that doesn't know jack. What's your point twat?

mookie2001
08-27-2009, 02:46 PM
60%? you cant be serious sixty percent?

so i guess if he was healthy he would have averaged like 38 points and 19 rebounds for the season?

duncan was hurt not injured doctor, and he was hurt in 08, 07, 06, 05

you could make up fake percentages for every player and you just look like youre making excuses

manu was injured not tim

lennyalderette
08-27-2009, 02:47 PM

hey well if were way out of line here, why is it sports fucking illustrated put us above your crack head team im guessing all those professional nba analyst dont know what the hell theyre talking about either, you bitch
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/chris_mannix/08/25/offseason.rankings/index.html
i guess we wont be getting a reply?

exstatic
08-27-2009, 02:58 PM

Now, if you offer him to us for scraps, ending contracts and a late second rounder, I'll do that one.

I'm doubting Kupchack would have traded Odom and one of your centers for him, though. Gasol just isn't worth two starters, not even to the Lakers in 2008.

Demo Dick Marcinko
08-27-2009, 02:59 PM
60%? you cant be serious sixty percent?

so i guess if he was healthy he would have averaged like 38 points and 19 rebounds for the season?

duncan was hurt not injured doctor, and he was hurt in 08, 07, 06, 05

you could make up fake percentages for every player and you just look like youre making excuses

manu was injured not tim

If Tim wasn't freaking injured, well he wasn't completely healthy, dolt. Don't you remember that by mid season last year he was diagnosed with chronic knee tendinosis. From that point on both his performance and time on the court declined. I know he was not 100,90 or even 80%. Tim would have had an even bigger impact had he been healthy. Did you even watch the games?

Where'd you get your medical degree because you sure are trying to make it look like you know what you're talking about. Comes across like your talking out your ass as usual.

Sobe_Kucks
08-27-2009, 03:03 PM
hey well if were way out of line here, why is it sports fucking illustrated put us above your crack head team im guessing all those professional nba analyst dont know what the hell theyre talking about either, you bitch
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/chris_mannix/08/25/offseason.rankings/index.html
i guess we wont be getting a reply?

+1

SI echoes everything posted on this board so far. We looked like crap in the playoffs due to a not 100% Timmy and banged up Manu (plus our bench was shite). We filled the gaps during the offseason but ultimatley we need our boys to be healthy and we've got a @#%^ing good shot. If Crazy Ron shows up in LA instead of Well Behaved Ron... then the door is wide open. We can write the same thing over and over about 30 ways. October can't get here soon enough.

mookie2001
08-27-2009, 03:06 PM
i never said he was 100%, no center, well into his thirties with chronic ailments, after 82 games is

hey why not 50% then?

dont make excuses
its bad enough we have to apologize for manus fragile ass now we're making excuses for tim and saying he was 60%

however bad or good manu or tim plays next playoffs i guarantee you one will be less than "100%"

Demo Dick Marcinko
08-27-2009, 03:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LMwD7vddyA

This video illustrates how much Duncan has lost in his ability to jump.

He had no spring in his knees to get up high enough around the rim. And his lateral movement was severely limited.

If that was Timmy D of 3 years ago or if he wasn't injured or hurt...that put back goes in unconstested + and 1.

If you some of you twats didn't watch the games last year, this video explains some of what I was talking about. If you don't understand it or if it's too far over your head, get your buddy to explain it to you.

mookie2001
08-27-2009, 03:13 PM
he looks more like 28-35% in that video

did i just teach you a new word "twat"?

Demo Dick Marcinko
08-27-2009, 03:17 PM
i never said he was 100%, no center, well into his thirties with chronic ailments, after 82 games is

hey why not 50% then?

dont make excuses
its bad enough we have to apologize for manus fragile ass now we're making excuses for tim and saying he was 60%

however bad or good manu or tim plays next playoffs i guarantee you one will be less than "100%"

Maybe he was 50%, unlikely but unless you talked with Tim or to the trainers you really don't know, do you? Sensitive Susy, it's no excuse, the Spurs and their track record over the last 10 years or so don't need excuses from fans the likes of me. But was a reason, factor whatever you want to call it, but don't say it was an excuse.

I don't think I've ever seen a Spurs fan apoligize for Manu being hurt. We've lamented, cursed the basketball Gods and a host of other little idiosyncrasies but to the best of my knowledge I've never seen one fan or thread to opposing teams, fans or the league in general where we apoligized for Manu being hurt. Maybe I missed.

Demo Dick Marcinko
08-27-2009, 03:21 PM
he looks more like 28-35% in that video

did i just teach you a new word "twat"?

Nah, I just figured you'd been called weeping vagina and sphincter boy once too often and I just wanted to mix it up. And to me it looks more like 42%-68% in the video but that's just me.

mookie2001
08-27-2009, 03:30 PM
apologize
1. to offer an apology
2. to make a formal defense in speech or writing.

yes you must have missed it

lennyalderette
08-27-2009, 03:57 PM
+1

SI echoes everything posted on this board so far. We looked like crap in the playoffs due to a not 100% Timmy and banged up Manu (plus our bench was shite). We filled the gaps during the offseason but ultimatley we need our boys to be healthy and we've got a @#%^ing good shot. If Crazy Ron shows up in LA instead of Well Behaved Ron... then the door is wide open. We can write the same thing over and over about 30 ways. October can't get here soon enough.
totally agree but to shut these morons up about us not even being near l.a as a rival, or champ contenders i had to throw up the link. i know we can possibly be doomed if any of our guys go down, but l.a has a shot of getting injured also they've dodged big injuries on major players for some time now. this season is taking forever to start:smchode:

TD 21
08-27-2009, 04:49 PM

Just remember, it was but 2 years ago that the Spurs were NBA champions. Last year they made the Western Conference Finals. And looking at the history of their big three, I tend to think the first round ouster is more of a blip on the radar than an indication that they're no longer relevant.

What's your point? The Celtics were absolutely terrible entering the summer of '08, made two big moves and the rest is history. They immediately were looked at as a title contender, picked by some to win it and were generally ranked amongst the East's top 3 teams entering the year.

Your very own Lakers were complete afterthoughts as contenders from '05-the very beginning of '08. Then they pulled off a heist and were instantly proclaimed co-favorites in the West. As the playoffs were set to begin, they entered as the favorites.

Nobody waited to give those two teams acclaim and to proclaim them as conference or league favorites for the championship, so why should they with the Spurs? A team and a core FAR MORE PROVEN AND SUCCESSFUL than that of the Celtics or Lakers. It's not like we don't know what their three best player are capable of, or whether their coaching is questionable. Just look at it this way: they were a contender or favorite (winning 3 championships) every year with the big three and that was with clearly inferior talent around them then compared to now.

ohmwrecker
08-27-2009, 06:59 PM
Calamity magnet is awesome.

DaBears
08-28-2009, 09:37 AM
Good read!! Might be a bit bias but non the less a good read...

Agloco
08-28-2009, 11:42 AM

The additions are Manu Ginobili, Tim Duncan (x1/2), Richard Jefferson, Antonio McDyess, and De Juan Blair

As usual you're speaking our of your ass.

Agloco
08-28-2009, 11:43 AM

Where else would a contender be? Again, speaking out of your ass.