PDA

View Full Version : Possible to get a copy of court records in a criminal case?

S_A_Longhorn
08-27-2009, 10:20 AM
I have a "relative" going on trial tomorrow for a horrible crime. Is it possible to get a copy of the court proceedings or records? Is that information private?

I'm assuming that if I had the time I could just go to the courtroom to see/hear it for myself, but that won't be possible.

Thanx in advance

CosmicCowboy
08-27-2009, 10:25 AM
You should be able to buy a transcript at the county courthouse after the trial is over. They charge by the page.

ashbeeigh
08-27-2009, 10:31 AM
You should be able to buy a transcript at the county courthouse after the trial is over. They charge by the page.

Yep. We send our clients down there if they say they have a sale date and don't have the paperwork to prove it.

mookie2001
08-27-2009, 10:32 AM
at your law firm Ashbeeigh and Ashbeeigh?

clambake
08-27-2009, 10:35 AM
ok i'll ask.

what was the horrible crime?

ashbeeigh
08-27-2009, 10:37 AM
at your law firm Ashbeeigh and Ashbeeigh?

indeed. But seriously. The way housing counseling works, counselors don't have time to deal with people who "think" they have a sale date. Having it in writing makes it a ton easier to deal with. People freak out about accelerations and debt collectors. The most important piece of paperwork you can have when it comes to foreclosure is the paper that says "your house will be sold at this time at this date."

S_A_Longhorn
08-27-2009, 11:41 AM

OK, thanx. Guess I'll have to wait until the trial is over, but I do want to know the details of the case especially how my "relative" attempts to defend himself. $1 a page?

Does the county courthouse prosecute the crimes even if SAPD responded? Don't know much about this process...

ok i'll ask.

what was the horrible crime?

Out of respect for the victim's family, I won't go into any details. No pun intended, but this isn't the 'forum' for my hatred for my "relative" or his actions. I haven't said a word to him during this time he has been awaiting trial (about 9 months).

But if you watch the news tomorrow (4, 12, 29), then you'll probably hear about the trial beginning since they all reported on the original incident & aftermath.

CosmicCowboy
08-27-2009, 12:37 PM
OK, thanx. Guess I'll have to wait until the trial is over, but I do want to know the details of the case especially how my "relative" attempts to defend himself. $1 a page?

Does the county courthouse prosecute the crimes even if SAPD responded? Don't know much about this process...

Out of respect for the victim's family, I won't go into any details. No pun intended, but this isn't the 'forum' for my hatred for my "relative" or his actions. I haven't said a word to him during this time he has been awaiting trial (about 9 months).

But if you watch the news tomorrow (4, 12, 29), then you'll probably hear about the trial beginning since they all reported on the original incident & aftermath.

Yes, unless it's federal it will be tried at the county courthouse.