PDA

View Full Version : Gilbert Arenas or Manu Ginobili

RsxPiimp
08-27-2009, 01:26 PM
when healthy, which guard would you rather have on your team?

Muser
08-27-2009, 01:29 PM
Ginobili, what a dumbass question.

manufan10
08-27-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm not really sure.... Hmmm.. I'll have to think about this one for awhile.

:D

Hornets1
08-27-2009, 02:12 PM
Depends on the team, as for the hornets who already have someone who runs the system better than anyone else could, I'd take Manu in a heartbeat. A backcourt w/ Paul and Manu would RIP SHIT UP!!!

Note: Gilbert is my favorite player outside of the hornets

anonoftheinternets
08-27-2009, 02:13 PM
a more intersting question would be.. " who will last injury free through the rest of their career"

Red Hawk #21
08-27-2009, 02:15 PM

iggypop123
08-27-2009, 02:30 PM
i think the question should be which player do you want when they arent healthy

BlackSwordsMan
08-27-2009, 02:53 PM
I think the real question is who would help you clean up a crime scene and provide you with a good alibi if you needed to rape a bitch

exstatic
08-27-2009, 03:09 PM
Manu. Gilbert is a wonderful scorer, but when has he take a team on his back, and led them to the Conference Finals or the Finals? Gilbert is a volume shooter who's probably better suited to a 3rd or 4th banana role. He's not a leader by any stretch of the definition.

DPG21920
08-27-2009, 03:10 PM
Manu. Gilbert is a wonderful scorer, but when has he take a team on his back, and led them to the Conference Finals or the Finals? Gilbert is a volume shooter who's probably better suited to a 3rd or 4th banana role. He's not a leader by any stretch of the definition.

Question though: Do you think if you swapped Manu out for Gilbert, that Manu would have led that Wizards team any farther?

Findog
08-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Tough question. I think GA is more talented and more explosive, but Manu is less selfish and cares more about winning that shots and scoring. If it were who do you want as a second option, I'd take Manu. As a #1 option, that's tough to answer. I don't know that the Wiz would've been better off if they had Manu instead of Arenas.

Findog
08-27-2009, 03:13 PM

Get real, he's too talented to be the third or fourth option. Who knows how he'll do after all his injuries, but 06-07 was pretty close to a good #1 option. In his prime, he's definitely a great #2 option, although on the Spurs, I like Manu better.

DPG21920
08-27-2009, 03:14 PM
I actually think Manu would be a better number 1 option, at least with the Wizards. Manu can certainly score, but the defensive upgrade and unselfishness to defer to Caron and Jamison along with the ability to take over mentally would make for a nice combo.

phxspurfan
08-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Arenas on the Warriors was a #3 wasn't he?

resistanze
08-27-2009, 04:53 PM
This is a question Manu homers are allowed to vote for Manu. GA strikes me as those high-scoring, low-impact players. He's kind of like Iverson, except I don't tihnk he can be a legitimate number 1 option, even if he had a team tailor-made for him (like Iverson did in 2001). Did the Wiz miss him that much when he was gone?

BRHornet45
08-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Arenas hands down .. no competition

BlackBellamy
08-27-2009, 05:29 PM
Did the Wiz miss him that much when he was gone?
Last year, for sure.

23LeBronJames23
08-27-2009, 05:31 PM
if both healthy id take Arenas without doubt

Culburn369
08-27-2009, 06:23 PM
Manu...I'd even flirt with Manu over Kobe, with the grace of 10 prime years/all other existing & past conditions & events in place & in force. I'd give it serious consideration.

A 10 year prime & pure Manu is devastating.

anakha
08-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Given that Butler and Jamison are both very capable scorers, swapping Ginobili for Arenas on that team may actually be an upgrade for the Wizards.

With even just one of those two gone, it's a different story IMO.

Findog
08-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Last year, for sure.

The year before they played much better w/o Arenas. But I agree, last year that was not the case.

anonoftheinternets
08-27-2009, 11:30 PM
manu for sure, he can fit into any team and any role. I havnt seen any one do that like he has.

Chieflion
08-27-2009, 11:37 PM
Arenas on that Wizard team is a terrible fit. Jamison's defense is already crap and Arenas does not help to make it better. If Arenas was on a team like Scott Skiles', Arenas would be my pick easily.

Amaso
08-27-2009, 11:41 PM
manu for sure, he can fit into any team and any role. I havnt seen any one do that like he has.

lol

correct me if im wrong but hasn't manu only played for the spurs, at the 2guard position, as a 6th man

Don't get me wrong, manu is a great player... But Gilbert would be a better #1 option, even if he hasn't gotten as far as Manu, who is basically 3rd fiddle.

anonoftheinternets
08-27-2009, 11:57 PM
lol

correct me if im wrong but hasn't manu only played for the spurs, at the 2guard position, as a 6th man

Don't get me wrong, manu is a great player... But Gilbert would be a better #1 option, even if he hasn't gotten as far as Manu, who is basically 3rd fiddle.

ok apparently u have never watched the spurs. Basically every 4th quarter the ball goes thru manu in many situations. And in crunch time hes always on the floor. The spurs dont work as 1st, 2nd, 3rd fiddle. They have well defined roles and everyone works in a tight system.

Parker volume scoring, duncan defense and in/out game. Manu for last minute on ball creativity.

Plus we have seen manu play as first option in the olympics, and believe me its a scary sight. Which is why he is so highly regarded among coaches and and many players consider him one of the best. Whens the last time someone like kobe (alpha made, strong competitor) let compliments fly.

But if the comparison was against someone else, considering his style of play makes him injury prone, they might make a good case for number 1 option. However in this case arenas is hardly injury free himself. So manu is an easy pick.

Blackjack
08-28-2009, 12:36 AM
Fantasy basketball?

Arenas.

Anything else?

Manu.

Arenas, prior to the injuries, was a more dominant scorer, so some tend to point to that as being an indicator of being a better numero uno. But the fact of the matter is, neither is a number 1 and debating which would be better in that role, at least when it comes to actual team success at the highest of levels, doesn't make all that much of sense.

Manu, unlike Arenas, is capable of running a fluid offense, playing off the ball, defending adequately and opportunistically, and because of those attributes, his teammates actually thrive playing alongside him.

Arenas is a gunner, Iverson-esque as resistanze mentioned, but lacks AI's will to achieve the same kind of success ('01 Finals appearance) as a number one.

You're not going to win a championship with an undersized, one-dimensional gunner as your number one; especially not at the point position. So unless you're trying to sell tickets (I'd personally pay more to see Manu as a number one, but that's me.) or win a fantasy league, I can't see the logic in Arenas > Manu.

A prime Manu, lets just say '08 before the injury, would have had just as much, if not more, success as a number one if his body were capable of holding up over the entirety of a season. That's a pretty big if, so I guess you could make an argument Arenas' build and style of play might hold up as a number one over the course of a season. But you'd be making an argument on: Arenas is more likely to be healthy enough to make my team first, or if we're lucky, second-round playoff fodder as a number one.

So, if that's your argument, I guess you you could argue Arenas is the better option.

If you're asking who'd I take, Arenas or Ginobili?

Ginobili.

I like to win.

23LeBronJames23
08-28-2009, 12:41 AM

Manu only played with spurs

coyotes_geek
08-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Fantasy basketball?

Arenas.

Anything else?

Manu.

Agreed. Arenas is nothing more than a high volume chucker who scores a lot of points, but his team isn't any better off for it. He's incredibly overrated.

BeeGee
08-28-2009, 11:42 AM
I'll take Manu, easily. He doesn't dominate the ball, dribble out the shot-clock, and completely kill flow with his shot-jacking. Plus, Manu is an accomplished finisher around the rim.

Next time, at least compare similar players. This was way too easy a choice to make, unless you like self-absorbed, overpaid clowns that care more about becoming the internet's most popular NBA player than they do their careers.

angelbelow
08-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Manu because he fits our team better. I also think he would be able to help the wizards more than GA can. But GA is clearly more talented.

picc84
08-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Its been so long since we saw Arenas playing at anywhere near full health we forgot how good he was. I'd still take Gino over him for intangibles but Gilbert was incredibly good and not just a chucker.