PDA

View Full Version : 15 Biggest Egos In The NBA

duncan228
08-27-2009, 03:08 PM
15 biggest egos in the NBA (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/others-best-nba-2536182-won)
Where does Kobe rank on Janis Carr's list?
By Janis Carr
The Orange County Register

They all have reason to gloat, brag and even, in some cases, brandish a No. 1 sign.

Others hype themselves on television, radio, advertisements or Twitter.

Then there are those NBA players and coaches who would rub your nose in their greatness, just to make sure you saw just how great they were. Forget the fact most haven't won anything; they think they're the best and will tell you about it.

Still others, having won one title, call themselves "the best player in the world."

Who owns the biggest ego in the NBA? We take a look.

Overall Dwight Howard is a nice guy, but anyone who calls himself "Superman" should check their ego at the door.

Ben Gordon demanded to be the highest-paid player on the Bulls a year ago, forgetting the fact he was the team's sixth man. There's no question Gordon can play, but can he do it quietly?

Zach Randolph once said he was "better than Chris Bosh" and wouldn't hesitate to tell the Toronto foward. Let's see, Bosh is a four-time All-Star and Randolph? Uh, zero all-star appearances.

Gilbert Arenas currently is not speaking to the media, but in the past he has made such outlandish claims as being able to score 50 points in a game (he actually bet some fans). He also has a book coming out that will allow readers to Talk, Think and Sleep Like Agent Zero.

Few in Detroit were sorry to see Rasheed Wallace take his big mouth and bigger ego to Boston. Imagine how crowded the Celtics locker room will be with the egos of Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Wallace.

Mark Cuban is the only NBA owner who garners more attention than his players. If there is a controversy, Cuban usually is at the center -- by his own doing.

LeBron James normally is seen as a team guy, not someone who complains. But let someone dunk on him or beat him in the playoffs, and a whole other side of James emerges. You won't see that one in any afterschool special.

Shaquille O'Neal, the Big Everything, is now taking on all-comers in all sports. Is there anything more egotisical than an athlete believing he can compete against Super Bowl champions and Olympians?

Kevin Garnett's on-court demeanor leaves a lot to be desired. His barking at opponents while on all fours puts egotism at a whole different level.

Fitting Ron Artest's larger-than-life personality into the Lakers could be a challenge for Coach Phil Jackson. He has no problem promoting himself.

It's been said that Vince Carter has a case of schizophrenia. At times, he uses his athleticism to attack the basket and rebound, and other times he sulks an and disappears. Maybe that's what his self-proclaimed nickname "Half-Man, Half-Amazing" means.

Stephon Marbury. Starbury. star tattoo on his head. Enough said.

Allen Iverson's ego has settled down somewhat in his "old" age, but he still believes he still deserves more than a spot on the bench. Wonder why no owner has signed him yet?

Anyone who calls themselves the "best player in the world" is not lacking in the ego department. Paul Pierce revealed last summer that there is an "I" in his name.

Kobe Bryant is a super star, proven winner and a four-time NBA champion, all of which gives him reason to have an inflated ego. Who wouldn't? But he also will never pass up the opportunity to remind anyone.

rjv
08-27-2009, 03:11 PM
i would have also put phil jackson on this list.

redzero
08-27-2009, 03:16 PM
In before somebody bitches about Chris Paul

IronMexican
08-27-2009, 03:18 PM
Black Jesus?

ambchang
08-27-2009, 03:23 PM
Another list with Lebron James!

Libri
08-27-2009, 03:28 PM
LeBron James normally is seen as a team guy, not someone who complains. But let someone dunk on him or beat him in the playoffs, and a whole other side of James emerges. You won't see that one in any afterschool special.He also has that tattoo on his back, "CHOSEN 1".

JamStone
08-27-2009, 03:36 PM
Missing: Larry Brown, Ricky Davis, Kenyon Martin

I'd put Paul Pierce at #1.

And, not really convinced Zach Randolph should be up there. He's an idiot and a lazy lard-ass and a selfish player. And, yes he has an ego. But, probably about as much as 95% of the players in the league. Most NBA players think they're better than they actually are. I remember when Tony Allen boasted that he was better than James Posey once Posey left for New Orleans. I hung out with Jimmy King (of Michigan Fab Five fame) a few years ago and he didn't even make it in the NBA and he was telling me stories how he was better than Kobe. All those guys have huge egos. Sure, Zach has an ego, but more than any other NBA ball player? Probably not. And, some might blast me for this, but talent wise, there's an argument he's better than Chris Bosh. Bosh is a better player because he's not an idiot and isn't lazy like Zach. But, I don't think it's ridiculous for Zach to think he's actually better than Bosh. And, since when does the popularity contest that is the all star game determine which players are better than others?

mountainballer
08-27-2009, 03:42 PM
Overall Dwight Howard is a nice guy, but anyone who calls himself "Superman" should check their ego at the door.

give me a break. the guy delivers a little show on the all star weekend and that's evidence for a super ego?
the author should check his sense of humor at the door.

anonoftheinternets
08-27-2009, 03:49 PM
author is really reaching with ben gordan and dwight howard . I mean gordan has agreed to come off the bench as 6th man on less than spectacular bulls team.

bostonguy
08-27-2009, 04:07 PM
Missing: Larry Brown, Ricky Davis, Kenyon Martin

I'd put Paul Pierce at #1.

And, not really convinced Zach Randolph should be up there. He's an idiot and a lazy lard-ass and a selfish player. And, yes he has an ego. But, probably about as much as 95% of the players in the league. Most NBA players think they're better than they actually are. I remember when Tony Allen boasted that he was better than James Posey once Posey left for New Orleans. I hung out with Jimmy King (of Michigan Fab Five fame) a few years ago and he didn't even make it in the NBA and he was telling me stories how he was better than Kobe. All those guys have huge egos. Sure, Zach has an ego, but more than any other NBA ball player? Probably not. And, some might blast me for this, but talent wise, there's an argument he's better than Chris Bosh. Bosh is a better player because he's not an idiot and isn't lazy like Zach. But, I don't think it's ridiculous for Zach to think he's actually better than Bosh. And, since when does the popularity contest that is the all star game determine which players are better than others?

You'd put Pierce over KG for bigger ego? Just because he called himself the best player in the world? I won't deny that Pierce has an ego and it was at an all time high after last years finals. I just can't put him over KG though.

JamStone
08-27-2009, 04:09 PM
Yes.

Muser
08-27-2009, 04:11 PM
I don't get why Dwight is up there, it was a joke.

DJB
08-27-2009, 04:12 PM
Wade is at the top, right along with James. Any clown that wears a band-aid of his name on his face should be slapped.

Agreed.

bostonguy
08-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Yes.

Nah I think it is because you despise Pierce and have always despised him. To say he has the biggest ego in the league just for that one quote doesn't sell it for me.

DPG21920
08-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Pierce, no way. Pretty much everyone has some kind of ego. When it matters is when the ego's become unmanageable and/or get in the way of winning and/or hurt the integrity of the game.

Pierce does not get anywhere close to that.

JamStone
08-27-2009, 04:29 PM
I haven't always despised Pierce. And, it's not just because of one quote.

bostonguy
08-27-2009, 04:33 PM
I haven't always despised Pierce. And, it's not just because of one quote.

But you just said above "Yes" when I asked if you chose him over KG and if it was about that one quote. :lmao:lmao

JamStone
08-27-2009, 04:46 PM
I was answering the first question in your post, not the second.

robot89
08-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Wade is at the top, right along with James. Any clown that wears a band-aid of his name on his face should be slapped.
ahahaahahh nice

iggypop123
08-27-2009, 05:30 PM
pierce is the guy that said he is the best player in the world. lol and kg is the guy that picks on 6'2 guards and has already guaranteed not only a title but the repeat

23LeBronJames23
08-27-2009, 05:34 PM
Another list with Lebron James!

kobe joined the lists startin with this 1

carrao45
08-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Tim Duncan man...That guy's ego is ridiculous

jacobdrj
08-27-2009, 06:09 PM
Yeah, as far as I can tell, the whole Superman - Dwight thing is a joke. Only if he starts believing in it... Based on what happened the last Dunk contest, he doesn't believe it. It is all in good fun. He has one of the best sports personas in all of pro sports right now.

Culburn369
08-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Honorable mention must go to The Asshole\Popovich. He's pretty smug for somebody who's never repeated & who missed nary a branch falling down the ugly tree.

timtonymanu
08-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Where's Eddie House?

Dunc n Dave
08-27-2009, 06:41 PM
Honorable mention must go to The Asshole\Popovich. He's pretty smug for somebody who's never repeated & who missed nary a branch falling down the ugly tree.

PJax taught him everything he knows about being an asshole. Oh, except the crying to the media about the refs like a little bitch part. Pop hasn't quite figured that one out yet.

Culburn369
08-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Horseshit! ESPN carries Pop's water and end of the log.

Shastafarian
08-27-2009, 09:19 PM
No Amare Stoudemire? List FAIL.

spursfan1000
08-27-2009, 10:59 PM
You gotta take Cuban off list and put DJ Mebenga

DPG21920
08-27-2009, 11:04 PM
Hamed Haddadi?

BeeGee
08-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Shaquille O'Neal, the Big Everything, is now taking on all-comers in all sports. Is there anything more egotisical than an athlete believing he can compete against Super Bowl champions and Olympians?I guess Steve Nash should be on this list then, cuz this was his brainchild. Funny how this is completely by Carr.