PDA

View Full Version : I'm starting to get very mad at my car (and myself)

Strike
08-27-2009, 05:23 PM
So....yesterday my car wouldn't start. I did some checking (and research on the interwebs) and figured out that either the fuel pump or pump relay is bad. :rolleyes

Ok, no big deal. I just needed to test the relay first to see if that's the problem. Well, I don't have a voltmeter so I had to wait until today and borrow my dad's. So I go to my dad's house after work and borrow his meter and come home to check the relay. Before I started, I decided to try to start the car on a prayer. Well, no battery power. :wow Huh. Interesting. I glanced at the headlight switch. It was turned one click so the driving lights (but not the headlights) were on.

Somehow, I must have bumped it or turned it yesterday when I was checking the fuses. Couldn't tell you how or why I did, but I must have. :bang

Just another in a line of annoying things to go wrong with my car lately. I thought the alternator was bad a couple weeks ago because my battery light lit up while I was at a stop light. Same thing happened 3 years ago and led to my car dying a few blocks later. So I replaced the alternator. Now (well, before yesterday) the battery light barely lights up when the engine is idling after warming up. Also, my brakes have been loud for months but I've been too lazy to replace them which means the rotors are probably trashed by now. On top of that, I'm way overdue for an oil change. (yes I pay a lube shop to do it.)

Much as I'd love to just scrap the damn thing and get a new car, that's just not going to happen with my lack of funds and bad credit. So, there it is. I'm on the bus for the short future.

*sigh* I need a smoke. :hat

manufan10
08-27-2009, 05:28 PM
I feel your pain. I was in a car accident a few weeks ago, which wasn't my fault. The guy's insurance has decided that the car is totaled. So they're sending my brother a check that will cover the remaining cost of the car and very little for down payment. Then, my brother has lost his job so there is no way he's going to get a new one. I already have a car payment, but my dad and mom are using my car because they're without a car. :bang So I'm in the same boat as you.. without a car, and it sucks. We all work at the same place so it's cool, but we get out at different times, and we all have things that we want to do. :(

Strike
08-27-2009, 05:32 PM
Yup. I work only about 5 miles from my home so the bus isn't a big deal, commute-wise. But outside of work? Bussing it sucks wet donkey balls.

I should have the starting problem fixed by this weekend. After that, the oil is getting changed, the brakes are getting done, and the other electrical issue is getting resolved post-haste!

Sorry to hear about your car issues, yo. You win.

PM5K
08-27-2009, 06:05 PM
When you suspect a relay you just swap it with another.

Wild Cobra
08-27-2009, 09:10 PM
If it uses a computer, just the battery being weak can be the problem. When you crank the engine to start it, the voltage drops. You need to make sure it's about 11 volts or higher when cranking the engine. If not, the car's computer may not work correctly to activate the fuel relay, ignition, etc. Naturally, the voltage varies by car, but 11 volts seems pretty standard.

P.S.

My daughters Integra recently had intermittent problems in the hot weather. Everything's fine after replacing the Main (fuel) relay.

Sense
08-27-2009, 09:17 PM
I've been having troubles with my car aswell..

My thread could've been better.

I've spent over 500 bucks on it with the help of my dad and it still has the same problem.

I know I should've gone to a mechanic.. but notice how my dad is helping. He'd feel insulted... of course he's been wrong just as I've predicted before he was and I keep throwing the money away.

I've changed about 7 parts on the car and I still can't manage to figure out what it is.

Wild Cobra
08-27-2009, 09:45 PM
I've been having troubles with my car aswell..

My thread could've been better.

I've spent over 500 bucks on it with the help of my dad and it still has the same problem.

I know I should've gone to a mechanic.. but notice how my dad is helping. He'd feel insulted... of course he's been wrong just as I've predicted before he was and I keep throwing the money away.

I've changed about 7 parts on the car and I still can't manage to figure out what it is.
What exactly is it doing, year make model also.

I. Hustle
08-28-2009, 08:11 AM
I don't get it. Why wouldn't you just scrap it and get a new Benz or Beemer? That's what I would do. 2 years and I am done with whatever car I have. What's an oil change by the way?