PDA

View Full Version : Well, since nobody else posted it, here's a "powerful, heartwarming story"

Summers
08-28-2009, 09:32 AM
And by that I can only assume he's referring to the ass-raping he's going to receive in prison. Man, why does this story have to break the first week of school when I'm agonizing over whether my 6-year-old is big enough to ride the bus? :(

ORANGE, California (CNN) -- He witnessed the 1991 abduction of his 11-year-old stepdaughter outside his home in California, and now Carl Probyn says he's still in shock that Jaycee Lee Dugard is alive.

Phillip Garrido is a registered sex offender, listed as having been convicted of forcible rape. But the circumstances of her captivity that police say was at the hands of a registered sex offender have left him in disbelief.

"It's kind of a shocker," Carl Probyn told CNN's "American Morning." Her "youngest child is the same age as Jaycee when she was taken." He said he is still in disbelief.

Probyn said Thursday that he had witnessed the abduction of the blond, blue-eyed girl, who was wearing a pink windbreaker and pink stretch pants as she walked to her bus stop on June 10, 1991.

"When it first happened, I was thinking, 'If I had my car keys, I would have chased him and done this and this,'" Probyn said. "But lately, toward the last few years, I just wanted an ending to this."

Dugard's abductor, Phillip Garrido, fathered two daughters with her during her 18 years in captivity, police said Thursday. The girls, now 11 and 15, had been living with their mother, now 29, isolated in sheds behind Garrido's house in Antioch, California, until they were discovered on Wednesday, according to El Dorado County Undersheriff Fred Kollar.

Police say Garrido's wife, Nancy, was with him when Dugard was snatched from the street in front of her house in South Lake Tahoe. Garrido was a registered sex offender at the time. Both are in police custody.

The compound where Garrido kept Dugard and her children was carefully screened from view. "None of the children had ever gone to school, they had never been to a doctor, they were kept in complete isolation in this compound, if you will, at the rear of the house," El Dorado County Undersheriff Fred Kollar told reporters. "They were born there."

In a rambling telephone interview from jail, Garrido told CNN affiliate KCRA of Sacramento he was relieved at being caught.

"I feel much better now," he said. "This is a process that needed to take place."

The investigation went years without apparent progress until Tuesday, when Garrido showed up on the campus of the University of California at Berkeley with his two daughters and attempted to get permission to hand out literature and speak, Kollar said.

Police officers "thought the interaction between the older male and the two young females was rather suspicious," so an officer checked his background, Kollar said.

That check revealed that Garrido was on federal parole for a 1971 conviction for rape and kidnapping, for which he had served time in the federal penitentiary at Leavenworth, Kansas.

Garrido's parole officer requested that the 58-year-old man appear Wednesday at the parole office.

Garrido did just that, accompanied by his wife, Nancy, "and a female named Allissa," Kollar said.

The presence of "Allissa" and the two children surprised the parole officer, who had never seen them during visits to Garrido's house, Kollar said.

"Ultimately, Allissa was identified as Dugard," Kollar said.

Officials are trying to confirm her identity with DNA matches, but Dugard revealed information during an interview that only she could have known, Kollar said.

Scott Kernan, undersecretary of the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, told reporters that Garrido admitted to having abducted Dugard.

El Dorado County Sheriff's Office online records showed that Phillip and Nancy Garrido were in the county jail, held on suspicion of offenses including conspiracy to commit a crime and kidnapping with the intent to commit robbery and rape.

Garrido's neighbors did not notice that Dugard and the children were living in captivity behind his house.

Kathy Russo, whose father has lived two houses away from the Garridos for 33years, said "my dad said he never saw a young woman." She added that her father, 94-year-old Dante Confetti, considered Garrido "a kind of strange, reclusive, kind of an angry kind of guy."

She said the one-story house's backyard was obscured by trees and ringed by a wooden fence.

In the interview, Garrido said he had "completely turned my life around" in the past several years. "You're going to find the most powerful story coming from the witness, from the victim," he said. "If you take this a step at a time, you're going to fall over backward and in the end you're going to find the most powerful, heartwarming story."

Kollar said a search of Garrido's property "revealed a hidden backyard within a backyard." It included several sheds no higher than 6 feet tall, two tents and outbuildings "where Jaycee and the girls spent most of their lives." One of the sheds was soundproof, he said.

At the end of the backyard is a 6-foot fence lined with shrubs, tall trees, garbage bags and a tarp, all of which obscured views of what was there, he said.

Extension cords provided electricity to the sheds and tents, and an outhouse and rudimentary shower "as if you were camping" were there, too, he said.

Dugard "was in good health, but living in a backyard for the past 18 years does take its toll," Kollar said. He described her as "relatively cooperative, relatively forthcoming" in discussions with detectives.

The mother and her two daughters are staying at a motel in the area, he said. "Family reunification has begun and will be a long and ongoing process," he said, presumably referring to Dugard's parents.

Ernie Allen, president of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, said the reappearance of Dugard is "absolutely huge."

"One of the things that we preach to searching families all the time ... is that even in these long-term cases there's hope," he said. "... it's important that we not let the world forget."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/08/28/california.missing.girl/index.html

Viva Las Espuelas
08-28-2009, 09:39 AM
whoa. these long enduring kidnappings always end up bizarre. it's mind-blowing how people can be. i'm sure it's going to get even more weird.

desflood
08-28-2009, 09:54 AM
In a long lifetime full of huge lapses (is that even a word?) in judgement - like kidnapping and rape - the most monumental has to be the mental lapse that spurs you to take the woman you kidnapped and raped to meet your parole officer.

I. Hustle
08-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Yeah I read about that this morning and saw some of it on the news. That dude is jacked up in the head. I can't even imagine what kind of life that woman or her kids could have now. I mean they were pretty much cut off from everyone how could they have any social skills?

angel_luv
08-28-2009, 10:21 AM
That poor woman and her daughters- what a trauma to go through. How sad, but thank God they are alive.
So long as there is life, there is hope for a full recovery- even from the worst of circumstances.

BacktoBasics
08-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Yeah I read about that this morning and saw some of it on the news. That dude is jacked up in the head. I can't even imagine what kind of life that woman or her kids could have now. I mean they were pretty much cut off from everyone how could they have any social skills?How they ever lived without an ipod is beyond me.

I. Hustle
08-28-2009, 10:35 AM
How they ever lived without an ipod is beyond me.

:lol

JoeChalupa
08-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Heard about it this morning and some of the interview the kidnapper did. He is nuts.

manufan10
08-28-2009, 10:39 AM
How they ever lived without an ipod is beyond me.

Or an Xbox 360/Playstation 3. :lol

Cry Havoc
08-28-2009, 10:57 AM
In a long lifetime full of huge lapses (is that even a word?) in judgement - like kidnapping and rape - the most monumental has to be the mental lapse that spurs you to take the woman you kidnapped and raped to meet your parole officer.

At that point he probably wanted to be caught.

That poor woman and her daughters- what a trauma to go through. How sad, but thank God they are alive.
So long as there is life, there is hope for a full recovery- even from the worst of circumstances.

Not necessarily. There are famous cases in Psychology where a child who is consistently exposed to this level of abuse are never able to recover. If there is not enough development during the formative years, a child may never actually mature past a certain stage of functioning. The daughters have much less of a chance to have a normal life than their mother, but all of them are going to need years and years of therapy just to begin this process.

I feel sick reading this story, and I can't imagine ever feeling a shred of sympathy for this man. He should never be given an ounce of pity or respect or decency for the rest of his life.

ploto
08-28-2009, 11:13 AM
My stomach hurts...

DarkReign
08-28-2009, 11:27 AM
So, exactly how was she restrained from ever leaving the "compund" (ie the fucking shed)?

I understand mental abuse, I understand Stockholm Syndrom...but I do not understand a 29 year old with nothing less than a 6th grade education never attempting to escape. And by attempt, I mean open the latch on the gate.

For fuck's sake....

You have 8 year olds escaping kidnappers...

Summers
08-28-2009, 11:36 AM
At that point he probably wanted to be caught.

Not necessarily. There are famous cases in Psychology where a child who is consistently exposed to this level of abuse are never able to recover. If there is not enough development during the formative years, a child may never actually mature past a certain stage of functioning. The daughters have much less of a chance to have a normal life than their mother, but all of them are going to need years and years of therapy just to begin this process.

I feel sick reading this story, and I can't imagine ever feeling a shred of sympathy for this man. He should never be given an ounce of pity or respect or decency for the rest of his life.

And, honestly, as a parent, I think I'd rather believe my child was dead than entertain the possibility that he or she was being held prisoner and tortured for 18 years.

So, exactly how was she restrained from ever leaving the "compund" (ie the fucking shed)?

I understand mental abuse, I understand Stockholm Syndrom...but I do not understand a 29 year old with nothing less than a 6th grade education never attempting to escape. And by attempt, I mean open the latch on the gate.

For fuck's sake....

You have 8 year olds escaping kidnappers...

Isn't it possible the shed doors had locks on them?

desflood
08-28-2009, 11:43 AM
And, honestly, as a parent, I think I'd rather believe my child was dead than entertain the possibility that he or she was being held prisoner and tortured for 18 years.
I agree.

Phenomanul
08-28-2009, 11:57 AM

Nothing you wrote, while maybe true, counters what angel_luv wrote. There is always HOPE... depends on the avenues that are taken in search of restoration.

CosmicCowboy
08-28-2009, 11:58 AM
I hope this guy gets life and is multiple ass raped daily.

ATRAIN
08-28-2009, 12:19 PM

So you want him to have your life?

I. Hustle
08-28-2009, 12:28 PM
lol Atrain this is neither the time nor the place but why does it say live nudes in the shower in your sig?

ATRAIN
08-28-2009, 12:40 PM
lol Atrain this is neither the time nor the place but why does it say live nudes in the shower in your sig?

Cause there are live nudes showering there every so often but you have to watch it at the right time.

manufan10
08-28-2009, 01:12 PM
So you want him to have your life?

:lol

I thought you were going to say that CosmicCowboy wanted him over every night.

angel_luv
09-02-2009, 11:57 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090902/ap_on_re_us/us_kidnapped_girl_garrido_s_wife

NEW YORK – The lawyer for the wife of accused kidnapper and rapist Phillip Garrido says his client misses the children her husband allegedly fathered with his victim, and says she saw them all as a family.

Nancy Garrido's lawyer told CBS's "The Early Show" on Wednesday that his client says she loves the girls.

Authorities say Phillip Garrido fathered Jaycee Lee Dugard's two daughters, now 11 and 15.

The Garridos were arrested last week and charged in the kidnapping, rape and imprisonment of Dugard, who was 11 years old when she was snatched outside her home in 1991.

Lawyer Gilbert Maines also appeared on ABC and NBC on Wednesday, saying Nancy Garrido seemed distraught and frightened during his first meeting with her. But he says she realizes why she is in jail.

baseline bum
09-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Fuck, I hope his death in prison is slow and extremely painful. We should all donate a carton of cigarettes to help buy this fucker's execution, American Me wavy-knife style.

sonic21
09-02-2009, 12:18 PM
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/08/28/california.missing.girl.blog/index.html

he seems to be a deeply relgious man (or crazier than a shit house rat) as some excerpts from his blog reveal.

bus driver
09-02-2009, 12:41 PM

i hope this guy and his wife get their asses beat, then get put out of their misery. :bang

ploto
09-02-2009, 12:48 PM
The kidnapped girl never told them that she was their mother. They thought she was their sister.

lebomb
09-02-2009, 12:53 PM

X3............and I hope his wife gets ass raped daily with an enormous strap on by all the hoes on the yard.

Ballcox
09-02-2009, 02:03 PM
He'll get taken care of multiple times, I can tell you that much for sure. I worked in the prison system in Texas for a little over 7 years, and one thing those guys would not tolerate was anyone who harmed children or the elderly in any way.

I remember they used to put those guys in PC, and gen pop guys would still find a way to get to them. It's going to be some long sleepless nights for that guy, and his wife for that matter.

baseline bum
09-02-2009, 02:08 PM
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/08/28/california.missing.girl.blog/index.html

he seems to be a deeply relgious man (or crazier than a shit house rat) as some excerpts from his blog reveal.

I have to say I'm EXTREMELY surprised to hear that.

Wild Cobra
09-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Well, I'm not an advocate of torture, but I would advocate such things for child molesters like him.

I sentence him to 6 hours of torture a day for the rest of his life. Let it be known, that's the penalty. Maybe we can stop child molestation in it's tracks.