PDA

View Full Version : Sad news

Dre_7
04-10-2005, 11:28 PM
Not NFL related, but I was watching ESPN News to see the highlisghts of tonights game, and I just heard that an arena football player has died from a spinal injury he suffed in a game.

Very sad. :(

Thoughts and prayers are with the family.

nacho estrada
04-11-2005, 01:23 AM
Who and on what team?

Dre_7
04-11-2005, 01:29 AM
Dont remember. I think his last name was Lucas.

timvp
04-11-2005, 03:08 AM
Yeah, that's pretty horrible.

R.I.P.

Kori Ellis
04-11-2005, 03:27 AM
By ADAM RANK

The Orange County Register

LOS ANGELES - Al Lucas dedicated his life to playing football.

On Sunday afternoon, football tragically took his life.

Lucas, a lineman for the Los Angeles Avengers and a former NFL player, died Sunday from a presumed spinal cord injury that he sustained during the team's 66-35 victory over the New York Dragons at Staples Center.

Lucas, 26, suffered the injury on a kickoff return moments after the Avengers' first touchdown. Lucas lowered is head to tackle the Dragons' Corey Johnson, colliding with Johnson's leg. After the play, Lucas remained on the ground, motionless, while medical personnel treated him.

Lucas was taken to California Hospital in Los Angeles and all attempts to revive him were unsuccessful, according to team physician Luga Podesta.

Players and coaches huddled in prayer at midfield, but did not realize the seriousness of Lucas' injury. Many teammates and opponents came over to wish him well as he was wheeled off the field.

"I just wanted to get back to the game and let the doctors do their work," Avengers coach Ed Hodgkiss said. "I had every confidence that he was going to be OK."

Said lineman Sean McNamara, "It never entered my mind that this was possible."

After the game, Hodgkiss learned of Lucas' death. The club canceled the traditional postgame autograph session and Hodgkiss assembled his team to deliver the news. Hodgkiss said that it was the hardest thing he has ever had to do in his entire life.

"My prayers go out to Al's family," Hodgkiss said. "It is just devastating."

The mood was expectantly somber as players slowly trickled out of the locker room, eyes red and swollen, or hidden behind sunglasses.

Staff members hugged and counseled each other, many wept. The booming voice of AFL commissioner David Baker, which typically reverberates off the corridor walls, was hushed as he addressed the media.

"On behalf of the AFL, we are heartbroken," Baker said. "Al played with passion and integrity. The entire AFL family extends its deepest sympathies to Al's wife and family as they find a way to work through this and recover from it.

Teammates described Lucas as "happy-go-lucky" and larger than life, on the field and off. They could not believe this happened to Lucas, who stood 6-1 and weighed 300 pounds. This was a guy that bench pressed 440 pounds in high school.

"I wish this was a bad dream I could wake up from," first-year Avengers player Tony Locke said. "He was one of the most giving guys and the moral leader of the team. He was the first guy I met when I got here. I just pray for his family."

Said Lonnie Ford, "Al was a great teammate. When he was laying on the ground, I was thinking that could be any one of us out there. We need to cherish these moments."

Lucas was in his second season with the Avengers and third in the AFL. Lucas was selected to the All-Rookie team and won an ArenaBowl championship as a member of the Tampa Bay Storm in 2003. Lucas signed a free-agent contract with the Avengers before the 2004 season.

Lucas played two seasons for the Carolina Panthers (2000-01) and was a collegiate standout at Troy State in Alabama. He is survived by his wife, DeShonda, and his daughter Mariah.

Lucas is the first AFL player to die on the field and first professional football player to die in the United States since Detroit Lions wide receiver Chuck Hughes died of a heart attack during a game on Oct. 24, 1971.

In the game Sunday, John Kaleo completed 25 of 41 passes for 261 yards and five TDs as the Avengers moved into a tie for the Western Division lead with the victory.

---

Big Shot Bob
04-11-2005, 02:27 PM
Well R.I.P. And have a good after life.

ALVAREZ6
04-11-2005, 05:29 PM
That sucks... RIP.