PDA

View Full Version : Cheney: Obama Team Should Be Debriefing CIA Interrogators, Not Investigating Them

George Gervin's Afro
08-30-2009, 08:02 AM
Cheney: Obama Team Should Be Debriefing CIA Interrogators, Not Investigating Them
Former Vice President Dick Cheney said Friday the Obama administration should be debriefing CIA interrogators about keeping the country safe rather than trying to punish them for doing their jobs.

FOXNews.com

Friday, August 28, 2009

16 x
in order to recommend a story, you must login or register.
187 Comments | Add Comment
PEOPLE WHO READ THIS ALSO READ
Joint Chiefs Chairman: Quit Talking, Start Demonstrating U.S. Benevolence 27406416 ABC, NBC Won't Air Ad Critical of Obama's Health Care Plan 27386766 NEA Allegedly Calls on Artists to Focus on Health Care, Energy 27405666 Push for Kennedy Successor Stirs Political Storm 27397522 Senate Bill Would Give President Emergency Control of Internet 27405660 Former Vice President Dick Cheney on Friday said the Obama administration should be debriefing CIA interrogators about keeping the country safe rather than trying to punish them for doing their jobs.

In an exclusive interview taped to air this weekend on "FOX News Sunday," Cheney called the Justice Department probe of interrogators an "outrageous political act" that will do long-term damage to the United States' capacity to protect the country.

"We had a track record now of eight years of defending the nation against any further mass casualty attacks from al Qaeda. The approach of the Obama administration should be to come to those people who were involved in that policy and say, 'How did you do it? What were the keys to keeping this country safe over that period of time?'" Cheney said.

"Instead, they're out there now threatening to disbar the lawyers who gave us the legal opinions -- threatening contrary to what the president originally said. They're going to go out and investigate the CIA personnel who carried out those investigations," Cheney added.

Last week, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said he was appointing a special prosecutor to look at data obtained about enhanced interrogation techniques to determine whether criminal acts were committed. The data are the same previously reviewed by career prosecutors in the Eastern District of Virginia, where the CIA is headquartered. The data led to one arrest and conviction.

The former vice president for months has demanded the CIA release materials to show the effectiveness of harsh tactics in enabling interrogators to get information used to thwart planned attacks.

This week, the CIA's inspector general released a declassified report on the use of enhanced interrogation tactics. The report said that CIA agents got valuable information but critics insist the results did not justify the methods.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/08/28/cheneyobamateamdebriefcia/?test=latestnews?test=latestnews

Uh earth to dick unecessary wars cause long term harm to the country you dick!

George Gervin's Afro
08-30-2009, 08:05 AM
Before the dead enders mischaracterize Holder's stance I provide his quote:

The Office of Professional Responsibility has now submitted to me its report regarding the Office of Legal Counsel memoranda related to so-called enhanced interrogation techniques. I hope to be able to make as much of that report available as possible after it undergoes a declassification review and other steps. Among other findings, the report recommends that the Department reexamine previous decisions to decline prosecution in several cases related to the interrogation of certain detainees.

I have reviewed the OPR report in depth. Moreover, I have closely examined the full, still-classified version of the 2004 CIA Inspector General's report, as well as other relevant information available to the Department. As a result of my analysis of all of this material, I have concluded that the information known to me warrants opening a preliminary review into whether federal laws were violated in connection with the interrogation of specific detainees at overseas locations. The Department regularly uses preliminary reviews to gather information to determine whether there is sufficient predication to warrant a full investigation of a matter. I want to emphasize that neither the opening of a preliminary review nor, if evidence warrants it, the commencement of a full investigation, means that charges will necessarily follow.

boutons_deux
08-30-2009, 08:40 AM
dickhead continues his evil ways.

Just go away, asshole, you've fucked up the world more than any man in decades.