PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Jackson to Dallas?

Showtime24 LAKERS
08-30-2009, 01:06 PM
Much Ado About Stephen Jackson

Back in November, Warriors guard Stephen Jackson signed a $28 million extension to remain in Golden State through 2013. Nine months later, with his financial future pretty much solidified, he wants out. Thank you for all the money, Golden State, but now I'd like to win some games, please.

Jackson has reportedly informed his current team that he's got a five-team wish list that includes Cleveland, New York, Houston, San Antonio, and Dallas. Less than a day after this story broke, we're already hearing that the Mavericks could be the frontrunner.

According to DallasBasketball.com, Don Nelson is preparing to start swapping trade ideas with the Mavericks, who must have some assets that Golden State is interested in. Anyone who takes a long, hard look at Dallas's roster, however, would have a difficult time putting together a logical trade for the Warriors. The only player who makes even an iota of sense is Josh Howard, who the Mavericks still like and Don Nelson is reported to think is a bit soft. If not Howard, then who is supposed to be the main piece in this rumored deal?

The twist here is that Jackson might not even be the guy Nelson is hoping to cash out. One of the most effective statistical shooting guards in the league with 20.7 points, 6.5 assists, and 5.1 rebounds per game, Jackson is actually a pretty important piece for the Warriors. Why would they have paid him so much money to stay there if they didn't believe that?

No, in saying that he could be in the market to move a significant rotation player, the belief is the guy Don Nelson wants to move could be Monta Ellis, not Jackson. Ellis has spent a good deal of time in Nelson's doghouse (not a fun place to be as many of his former players could tell you), meaning Jackson could see his chance to be traded drift away pretty quickly if the Warriors choose to deal his backcourt mate instead of himself.

If the Mavericks aren't interested in absorbing Jackson's huge contract, which of the other four teams he listed are real possibilities? Certainly not Cleveland, who invested good money this offseason to shore up their depth at the swing positions and already have quite a bit of money tied up in their current roster. San Antonio also seems pretty set at shooting guard and small forward with Manu Ginobili and Richard Jefferson, leaving only New York and Houston as realistic possibilities if Dallas doesn't work out.

It would require Golden State to give up much more than Stephen Jackson, but someone like Tracy McGrady could provide them with a similar player to Jackson but whose $22 million salary comes off the books next summer. It would be hard to get salaries to match, but its that cap space the Warriors would want to return for S-Jax.

As for New York, Jackson would be reunited with his buddy Al Harrington, who he's still reportedly upset about having been traded away from him in the first place. The Knicks have a ton of expiring contracts they could offer up in a number of different combinations, but they're saving that to woo LeBron James and Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh. To sacrifice that space they'd have to return a superstar—a level of play which Jackson hasn't quite reached in his career.

None of his five destinations create an obvious trade scenario, but at some point the Warriors will have to decide if they want to spend the next four seasons listening to Jackson gripe about playing for a team that's missed the postseason 14 of the last 15 years. Dallas may be the rumored "frontrunner" for now, but that could change very quickly if Monta Ellis is the guy they're targeting instead of the player who has publicly asked to be traded.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=13706

Muser
08-30-2009, 01:20 PM
It's hoopsworld, so don't trust it.

jack sommerset
08-30-2009, 01:21 PM
Howard for Jackson would be a great deal for Mavericks and perhaps Nelson could whip that douchebag back in shape.

Kai
08-30-2009, 01:21 PM
lol poopsworld

Culburn369
08-30-2009, 01:35 PM
Six of one,,,half dozen of the other.

Bandwagon Spurs Fan
08-30-2009, 02:01 PM
No

Ghazi
08-30-2009, 02:06 PM
Howard for Jackson is.. well LATERAL and possibly a downgrade... I ain't givin up contract year Ho for Jackson unless they threw in Azabuike as well.

Scraps for S-Jax would be nice, but shouldn't we address the frontcourt? It ain't bad, but can it not be better?!

mavs>spurs2
08-30-2009, 02:22 PM
no way we give up da bud smokin ho for sjax. i dont like this move :td

spursfan1000
08-30-2009, 02:29 PM
it's also on realgm

23LeBronJames23
08-30-2009, 04:21 PM
that would improve mavs imo

monosylab1k
08-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Mavs aren't giving up Howard for Jackson. The only way they do this is if this is a salary dump move for GS. JJ Barea would be the only player of value leaving Dallas if this happens. Which it won't.

monosylab1k
08-30-2009, 04:23 PM
But still, Jackson for Howard is absolutely an improvement for Dallas. To call it a lateral move is stupidity at it's finest.

Findog
08-30-2009, 04:30 PM
But still, Jackson for Howard is absolutely an improvement for Dallas. To call it a lateral move is stupidity at it's finest.

It's a slight upgrade, not a huge one. Looking over what they've done recently -- Jackson is more durable and is a much better passer, but Howard shoots a much higher % from the floor. As for defense, I would think they are about the same, although I might give Howard the edge there. BBall IQ? Hmm, I really haven't watched that much of Jackson but he can't be dumber on the court than Josh. Commitment to team goals and lack of selfishness? Hmm, I think that's a wash.

Muser
08-30-2009, 04:34 PM
Howard for Jackson doesn't sort any of the problems Dallas have, Marion/Howard have most of the minutes at the 3.

That is if they make a trade for a C, which they need badly.

ChumpDumper
08-30-2009, 04:36 PM
I can see this ballooning into some huge multiteam trade if Dallas and GS are involved.

mojorizen7
08-30-2009, 04:44 PM
I can see this ballooning into some huge multiteam trade if Dallas and GS are involved.

....yeah and if it involves PHX Kerr will throw in #1 draft picks just because the other team asked.

I agree though, a 3-way deal involving say....Houston(who's looking for help)would make some sense.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Howard for Jackson doesn't sort any of the problems Dallas have, Marion/Howard have most of the minutes at the 3.

That is if they make a trade for a C, which they need badly.

I think Marion at the 3 and Jackson at the 2 >>> Marion at the 3 and Howard at 2

IMO Marion, Kidd and Howard out there doesn't provide enough spacing.....Jackson gives them some spacing.

djohn2oo8
08-30-2009, 07:02 PM
I think Marion at the 3 and Jackson at the 2 >>> Marion at the 3 and Howard at 2

IMO Marion, Kidd and Howard out there doesn't provide enough spacing.....Jackson gives them some spacing.

So do we have a deal on that bet?

VivaPopovich
08-30-2009, 07:59 PM
That'd be a good fit. They can add another player that takes too many jump shots and doesn't care about defense.

Move over Dirk!

BlackBellamy
08-30-2009, 08:44 PM
"At this point, I'm 31 years old. I have four or five years left," Jackson said on Friday. "I want to be in a situation where I can continually be in the playoffs and get another ring. So that's where my mind is at now." Jackson said that he would like to be traded to the Cavs, Spurs, Rockets or even the Knicks. Kelenna Azubuike, Anthony Morrow and Stephen Curry would most likely be the biggest beneficiaries if Jackson is moved.
The above from NBA.com. No mention of Dallas. Take from that what you will.

polysylab1k
08-30-2009, 09:27 PM

Howard for Jackson is.. well LATERAL and possibly a downgrade... I ain't givin up contract year Ho for Jackson unless they threw in Azabuike as well.

Scraps for S-Jax would be nice, but shouldn't we address the frontcourt? It ain't bad, but can it not be better?

:lmao

Amarelooms
08-30-2009, 09:50 PM
Mavs better not trade JHo or Terry for him. If they want give em Buckners contract and other trash to make the deal work. If not it's cool...we really don't need a SG/SF....already have Terry, Marion and Howard. :elephant

Dunc n Dave
08-30-2009, 10:06 PM
I wouldn't put it past Pop and RC to try to offer up Roger Mason and GS's pick of Bonner or Finley. They are all expiring contracts like GS is looking for. And I know that Mason/Bonner works in the trade machine for Jackson.

That doesn't mean the Warriors will be dumb enough to take the offer though.
JHoward for Jackson is a much better deal for GS than Mason & Bonner(or Finley) for Jackson.

If The Warriors were to bite on the expring contracts, the Spurs improve themselves AGAIN. Jackson >>>> Mason, especially in the playoffs!

BlackSwordsMan
08-30-2009, 11:57 PM
jackson knows the spurs' system and will greatly aid the mavs in defeating the spurs
good trade

Galileo
08-30-2009, 11:59 PM
It's hoopsworld, so don't trust it.

Please give the independent media some respect, rather than your corporate overlords.

Sdayi135
08-31-2009, 03:05 AM
We dont want him.

So you wouldn't want this trade?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kmph52

Chieflion
08-31-2009, 04:43 AM

Why would the Warriors do it? Sasha Vujacic is arguably a worse contract even when compared to Marcus Banks.

WildcardManu
08-31-2009, 08:11 AM
Please give the independent media some respect, rather than your corporate overlords.

lol +1

sribb43
08-31-2009, 08:23 AM
Hoopsworld = FAIL....these are the same people that said the Mavs are worse off by starting J-Ho at SG and should really consider Matt Carroll to be the Mavs SG :lmao

If you have read any past Hoopsworld articles, then you would understand why they have no credibility

DeadlyDynasty
08-31-2009, 09:30 AM

pipedream

DeadlyDynasty
08-31-2009, 09:34 AM
it would be a steal of a deal if the Mavs got Jax for Howard. Jax is more clutch, more savvy, and a very smart player who can adapt to different systems. Josh Howard once was a good player, but now he just settles for jumpers. He's also legally retarded, so this would be a great move for Dallas.

DeadlyDynasty
08-31-2009, 09:48 AM
We dont want him.

why not? Ron-Ron and Jax were great as a teammates before

_1rUqj0LypU
:toast

hater
08-31-2009, 09:50 AM
Howard rapes the Spurs everytime. Jax doesn't. I approve of this trade.

baseline bum
08-31-2009, 09:57 AM

Um, the same Hoopsworld that speculated Karl Malone was signing with the Spurs and posted it as an inside source when they heard the Spurs were calling a press conference... a press conference that ended up being about retiring Sean Elliott's jersey.

Culburn369
08-31-2009, 10:09 AM
Man...After seeing it again..I really can't blame Artest. The Detroit fans were ridiculous. They were instigating drunks

What bothers me is the fact that Artest was masking his true demeanor (until the beer was tossed), thus taking a low & deceitful tact. It not only escalated the incident but exposes Artest and his pathology.

Culburn369
08-31-2009, 10:15 AM
Man...After seeing it again

Grown men in physical altercations is just vulgar & ugly.

It's why professional rassling is so accepted & popular. It gives the populace the fantasy of the altercation with the assurance & security of civility. They know going in that its fake, and they wouldn't have it any other way.

Findog
08-31-2009, 10:49 AM
Since the Mavs are over the lux tax threshold and have been for some time and will be for the forseeable future, Cuban would essentially have to pay $72 million over the next 4 years for SJax's services. I doubt this happens. If you bring him in, one of the Jax/Marion/Josh trio is going to be sitting on the bench a lot more than they like. Chemistry problems would ensue.

Reeko_Htown
08-31-2009, 11:04 AM
the day Don Nelson helps the Mavs is the day.....

baseline bum
08-31-2009, 11:17 AM
That'd be a good fit. They can add another player that takes too many jump shots and doesn't care about defense.

Move over Dirk!

No way... didn't you see the job he did on Dirk in the 07 playoffs? Jack's pretty solid defensively.

dirk4mvp
08-31-2009, 12:28 PM
No way... didn't you see the job he did on Dirk in the 07 playoffs? Jack's pretty solid defensively.

Him and 2 other guys at all times Dirk touched the ball, I agree :tu

crc21209
08-31-2009, 10:15 PM
Not gonna happen. Nellie would deal Jax to the Spurs & Pop before he would send him to Dallas and the Devil Cuban :lol