PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Pearl Jam song?

holcs50
08-30-2009, 11:18 PM
My bro just saw Pearl Jam in San Fran, and said the most amazing song was this.....and i agree this song is amazing-listen to the lyrics-i think its PJs best song ever and may be my fav song ever.

l1wQ8cOJbtY

SequSpur
08-30-2009, 11:20 PM
Black

IronMexican
08-30-2009, 11:26 PM
Pearl Jam sucks ass

blackbucket
08-30-2009, 11:29 PM
No Way can I pick one. I'll name some of my favorites.

Yellow Ledbetter
Corduroy
Rearviewmirror
State of Love and Trust
I Got Shit
Given to Fly
In My Tree
Last Exit
Man of the Hour
Life Wasted
The Fixer
In Hiding
Love Boat Captain
Off He Goes
Smile
Sleight of Hand
........forget it. I'll type their whole friggin catalog.

Spursfan092120
08-30-2009, 11:32 PM

Yellow Ledbetter
Corduroy
Rearviewmirror
State of Love and Trust
I Got Shit
Given to Fly
In My Tree
Last Exit
Man of the Hour
Life Wasted
The Fixer
In Hiding
Love Boat Captain
Off He Goes
Smile
Sleight of Hand
you list all these and don't mention Jeremy?

eisfeld
08-30-2009, 11:39 PM
WgkkvtVuBDE

JMarkJohns
08-30-2009, 11:53 PM
black

x2

Cant_Be_Faded
08-30-2009, 11:59 PM
Porch
for the fuckin win

Vedder wails on this fucking song and the guitarist is goign at like breakneck speed throughout

holcs50
08-31-2009, 12:19 AM
no one thinks elderly is up in the top 5. wow, wtf, well as long as your a pj fan that's chill. I don't think anyone who thinks pj is bad is human. PJ, soundgarden, alice-best era and yes i purposely excluded nirvana-didn't ever do it for me

EricB
08-31-2009, 01:06 AM
no one thinks elderly is up in the top 5. wow, wtf, well as long as your a pj fan that's chill. I don't think anyone who thinks pj is bad is human. PJ, soundgarden, alice-best era and yes i purposely excluded nirvana-didn't ever do it for me

100% agree.

I miss the days of flannel, docs, semi holey jeans.

The 90s were the shiznit my man.

EricB
08-31-2009, 01:06 AM
Pearl Jam sucks ass

You bite your goddamn tongue.

holcs50
08-31-2009, 01:35 AM
100% agree.

I miss the days of flannel, docs, semi holey jeans.

The 90s were the shiznit my man.

Eric you got on me for calling bonner "Boner" once, but haha i love you man/ How great were early to mid 90s-no one trying to impress anyone-shit id go to high school dirty as hell, and people just like you for your personality-that's grunge to me...Not judging on appearence but on whats in there. And hell yea flannels plus holes in jeans equals a friend in my books! :toast

Muser
08-31-2009, 04:46 AM
Alive.

ATRAIN
08-31-2009, 08:20 AM

Yellow Ledbetter
Corduroy
Rearviewmirror
State of Love and Trust
I Got Shit
Given to Fly
In My Tree
Last Exit
Man of the Hour
Life Wasted
The Fixer
In Hiding
Love Boat Captain
Off He Goes
Smile
Sleight of Hand

This

ATRAIN
08-31-2009, 08:26 AM

Yellow Ledbetter
Corduroy
Rearviewmirror
State of Love and Trust
I Got Shit
Given to Fly
In My Tree
Last Exit
Man of the Hour
Life Wasted
The Fixer
In Hiding
Love Boat Captain
Off He Goes
Smile
Sleight of Hand

How is the Fixer already on your list?

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
08-31-2009, 08:31 AM
Crazy Mary, Immortality, Nothingman and Release are also personal faves.

Dr. Gonzo
08-31-2009, 08:41 AM
Parachutes is my favorite. Yellow Ledbetter is a close second.

ATRAIN
08-31-2009, 08:41 AM
I made a Pearl Jam playlist of my fav songs on my ipod and there are 74 so yea im not going to list em.

Bender
08-31-2009, 08:45 AM
you list all these and don't mention Jeremy?
barf city

Dr. Gonzo
08-31-2009, 08:48 AM
Yeah barf city.

Thunder Dan
08-31-2009, 09:43 AM
I just got back from seeing them twice in Chicago last week

My favorite songs are:

Black
Come Back
Off He Goes
Around the Bend
Immortality

Jeremy sucks, that is why they don't play it much anymore. Even Flow sucks more

ATRAIN
08-31-2009, 09:51 AM
I just got back from seeing them twice in Chicago last week

My favorite songs are:

Black
Come Back
Off He Goes
Around the Bend
Immortality

Jeremy sucks, that is why they don't play it much anymore. Even Flow sucks more

True PJ fans know that Ten is not their best album.

Dr. Gonzo
08-31-2009, 09:53 AM
Ten isn't even on my top 3 favorite album list.

Vitology
The avocado album
Vs.

ATRAIN
08-31-2009, 09:54 AM
OK how about this, what is your fav Album?

Its pretty Hard for me but I would have to put this one above all the rest

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41iwjq8DplL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Dr. Gonzo
Shit it isn't even my top 5. No code and Binaural are better than Ten.

ATRAIN

Vitology
The avocado album
Vs.

I agree

For me its

Yield
No Code
Vitology

ATRAIN
08-31-2009, 09:55 AM
Shit it isn't even my top 5. No code and Binaural are better than Ten.

You didnt like Yield? Yes I agree ten is at the bottom of the list right there with Riot Act

Thunder Dan
No Code and Binaural are my favorites

Chicago night 2 was funny because someone in the front row was wearing a shirt that said "No Even Flow" and Eddie gave him shit about it

Dr. Gonzo
Yield is great but I like those others better.

ATRAIN
08-31-2009, 09:57 AM
Yield is great but I like those others better.

So you put Yield 3rd to the last?

Whats your fav song on the avacado album?

Dr. Gonzo
08-31-2009, 09:57 AM
Paracutes

ATRAIN
08-31-2009, 09:59 AM
Paracutes

Nice mine is Inside Job.......This song is one hell of a way to end and album.

Come Back is hella good too.

Thunder Dan
08-31-2009, 10:02 AM
I saw them on back to back nights, they played a total of 56 songs and only repeated 5

Even Flow
Alive
Yellow Ledbetter
The Fixxer
The Real Me (a song by The Who)

that's incredible and is why they are the best live band in the world at this time

ATRAIN
08-31-2009, 10:03 AM
I saw them on back to back nights, they played a total of 56 songs and only repeated 5

Even Flow
Alive
Yellow Ledbetter
The Fixxer
The Real Me (a song by The Who)

that's incredible and is why they are the best live band in the world at this time
Man you suck, I should have made an attempt to go up there and catch one of those shows with you. I might have to pay some money to watch them at ACL this year.

Thunder Dan
08-31-2009, 10:05 AM
Man you suck, I should have made an attempt to go up there and catch one of those shows with you. I might have to pay some money to watch them at ACL this year.

I'm trying to get a picture of where I was as. I took one with my phone that I sent to my email to post, if I can figure it out I will. I was in the front row, right up against the hockey wall, of the section right next to the stage.

ATRAIN
08-31-2009, 10:06 AM
Steven and Dan,

What is your fav song thats not on a reg studio album?

I have to say "I got Id"

Yellowledbetter just was overplayed in the valley when I was in high school.

Footsteps is up there too.

ATRAIN
08-31-2009, 10:08 AM

Vitology
The avocado album
Vs.

I remember when I was working at a Sam Goody right out of high school and people used to say "Oh I didnt know Pearl Jam had another cd after 10" This was right around the time Yield was released. I was like WTF!!!

Thunder Dan
08-31-2009, 10:10 AM
Steven and Dan,

I have to say "I got Id"

that one is easy for me: State of Love and Trust and Hard to Imagine

ATRAIN
08-31-2009, 10:13 AM
that one is easy for me: State of Love and Trust and Hard to Imagine

Man I bought the singles Soundtrack for State of Love and Trust and Breathe. I think I like Breathe more.

David Bowie
08-31-2009, 01:43 PM
Not too into Pearl Jam, but I love the song "Black" .

lil_penny
08-31-2009, 01:52 PM
Black is my favorite by far

Thunder Dan
08-31-2009, 01:53 PM
here is where I sat for the Chicago shows. These seats aren't nearly as good at the ones I got in Virginia Beach (2nd row) but these were good considering how big a market Chicago is for Pearl Jam. It was taken with an Iphone so it looks like shit

http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=8ce17f6aec&view=att&th=123715a30c003b1b&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw

Dr. Gonzo
08-31-2009, 01:55 PM
Steven and Dan,

I have to say "I got Id"

Yellow Ledbetter was played a shitload but it's still a great song. That's probably my favorite that's not on a studio album.

I. Hustle
Penny Royal Tea

Thunder Dan
for those who love 'Black' this is the best version of it I've found. I have heard somewhere around 200-300 versions of it searching for the best one, and this is the only one that stands out and gives me chills. Listen to the whole thing and you will see why. The video isn't great but the audio is perfect b/c it was taken from a bootleg

iaNbXrmVWPo

ATRAIN
09-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Dan you picking up Backspacer sunday? Im gonna pick up the Vinyl sunday or maybe sat night if Waterloo is selling it.

ATRAIN
09-15-2009, 10:34 AM
I heard some of the new pearl jam songs on ESPN this weekend. I think they played 4. They all sounded bad ass

200 miles
09-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Even Flow is by far my favorite PJ song and anybody who has a problem with that, well then you can just go fuck yourself.

BTW, the TexOU-T2 sig is hilarious.

sonic21
09-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Pearl Jam sucks ass

holcs50
09-15-2009, 05:40 PM
You didnt like Yield? Yes I agree ten is at the bottom of the list right there with Riot Act

well, a few things you said are true, some false. If your a long time pj fan and see ten as their best thats completely understandable in my book. Just because it's the most known doesn't mean a long time fan can't appreciate it. I do agree with you about yield-that's a great cd, low light is such a good pj song. I disagree about no code and binaural tho-not my faves at all, especially no code-i mean i remember listening thru that and trying to like it-it's just not good. But to each their own. My faves would be Vs., Yield, ten, vitalogy in no particular order

StoneCutter
09-16-2009, 04:13 AM
I'll just mention a few more that I haven't seen mentioned...Better Man and Last Kiss.

symple19
09-16-2009, 05:45 AM
pearl jam sucks ass
+1

holcs50
09-16-2009, 06:18 AM
+1

ATRAIN
09-16-2009, 07:37 AM
well, a few things you said are true, some false. If your a long time pj fan and see ten as their best thats completely understandable in my book. Just because it's the most known doesn't mean a long time fan can't appreciate it. I do agree with you about yield-that's a great cd, low light is such a good pj song. I disagree about no code and binaural tho-not my faves at all, especially no code-i mean i remember listening thru that and trying to like it-it's just not good. But to each their own. My faves would be Vs., Yield, ten, vitalogy in no particular order

Dont get me wrong man, TEN is still a good album. It got me started on the band and its prob a bit over played. Oceans, Porch, and Why go are some of my favs (including Black of course). Its just hard for me to call it their best when they have put out some GREAT cd's. I still think Riot Act is prob the worst but still good none the less. I cant wait for Sunday and the release of Backspacer. I am being good and not downloading any leaks.

Thunder Dan
09-16-2009, 09:32 AM
Dan you picking up Backspacer sunday? Im gonna pick up the Vinyl sunday or maybe sat night if Waterloo is selling it.

I preordered it from Ten Club so I should be getting it sometime this week before Sunday. I just got it on CD

BacktoBasics
09-16-2009, 09:34 AM
No mention of Release. Most underrated song on their first album.

ATRAIN
09-16-2009, 09:36 AM
No mention of Release. Most underrated song on their first album.

I do like that song but I dont think any song on there is underrated per say. Then again for a leisure fan they prob wouldn't know anything outside of Jeremy, Alive, Black, or Even Flow.

ATRAIN
09-16-2009, 09:36 AM
I preordered it from Ten Club so I should be getting it sometime this week before Sunday. I just got it on CD

You got it on cd??? How through TEN Club?

Thunder Dan
09-16-2009, 09:40 AM
You got it on cd??? How through TEN Club?

on their website, if you preorder it they usually ship it out a couple days before and throw in some free stuff

ATRAIN
09-16-2009, 09:52 AM
on their website, if you preorder it they usually ship it out a couple days before and throw in some free stuff

Sweet man what do you think of it so far?

lefty
09-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Jeremy

Thunder Dan
09-16-2009, 10:33 AM
Sweet man what do you think of it so far?

I haven't gotten it yet. I'll probably get it on Thursday or Friday

DarkReign
09-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Oceans

Hornets1
09-16-2009, 01:16 PM
Yellow Ledbetter

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-16-2009, 10:44 PM
Alive.

Always was, always will be.

Like some others, I think Ten was their best album and that they got progressively worse after that.

Oh, and I love both Release and Oceans. :tu

Cant_Be_Faded
09-17-2009, 07:48 AM
vitology sounds like pip farting on a snare drum

tantamount to STP's third album.

ATRAIN
09-25-2009, 07:44 AM
So what do you guys think of Backspacer?

Thunder Dan
09-25-2009, 09:57 AM
I like it alot, much better than Riot Act and better than Pearl Jam

ATRAIN
09-25-2009, 10:02 AM
I like it alot, much better than Riot Act and better than Pearl Jam

This...

Each time I listen to it I like it more and more. Im driving to Houston this weekend so ill be listening to it a few more times.

Thunder Dan
09-25-2009, 11:07 AM
This...

Each time I listen to it I like it more and more. Im driving to Houston this weekend so ill be listening to it a few more times.

it's such a short album. I drive 35 minutes to work each morning and if I start it when I start my car it's over by the time I pull into work

ATRAIN
09-25-2009, 11:10 AM
it's such a short album. I drive 35 minutes to work each morning and if I start it when I start my car it's over by the time I pull into work

Yeah I have a similar drive and will prob listen to it on my way home today.

ATRAIN
09-25-2009, 11:12 AM
I have been meaning to put it on my ipod but my itunes was jacked.

JamStone
09-25-2009, 11:41 AM
Toss up between "Dissident" and "Porch."

"State of Love and Trust" would be high on the list too. And I like their cover version of "Crazy Mary."

1ziGoJBLnRA

I like "Yellow Ledbetter" but don't give Pearl Jam too much credit for the song since they didn't really write the song. They basically slightly changed the music and added lyrics to a great Kenny Wayne Shepherd song called "While We Cry."

zl2wQSd758k

ATRAIN
09-25-2009, 12:17 PM
Dissident is a great song

Thunder Dan
09-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Dissident is a great song

i think that is my least favorite Pearl Jam song, it's a set killer live

Thunder Dan
09-25-2009, 01:01 PM
I like "Yellow Ledbetter" but don't give Pearl Jam too much credit for the song since they didn't really write the song. They basically slightly changed the music and added lyrics to a great Kenny Wayne Shepherd song called "While We Cry."

zl2wQSd758k

considering Pearl Jam wrote Yellow Ledbetter during the original Ten sessions back in early 1990, I think Mike McCready wrote it well before Kenny Wayne. Mike has even said that the riff to YLB was written during his days in Love Chile, and he would play it on occasion just messing around during the Ten sessions. The song was all that one riff and that is why there are no official lyrics to it, because it was just Mike fucking around and Ed just made up lyrics while mike was playing

Girasuck
09-25-2009, 01:12 PM
Off He Goes is my favorite

JamStone
09-25-2009, 01:20 PM
Kenny Wayne Shepherd's song "While We Cry" is on his album "LEDBETTER Heights." He wrote the song and performed it long before the album. Ledbetter Heights is a neighborhood in Shreveport, Louisiana where Kenny grew up. Those things are not coincidence. Kenny wrote that riff long before "Yellow Ledbetter."

Thunder Dan
09-25-2009, 01:27 PM
Kenny Wayne Shepherd's song "While We Cry" is on his album "LEDBETTER Heights." He wrote the song and performed it long before the album. Ledbetter Heights is a neighborhood in Shreveport, Louisiana where Kenny grew up. Those things are not coincidence. Kenny wrote that riff long before "Yellow Ledbetter."

so you are telling me that a song that was played and record back around 1990 was stolen from a song that was recorded in 1995? It was stolen from someone who was not even famous outside of his own scene halfway across the country? That's about the biggest reach I have seen.

And the Ledbetter is named after on of their friends in Chicago

Thunder Dan
09-25-2009, 01:29 PM
oh and Kenny Wayne Shepherd was 17 in 1995, so he would have been 13 when Yellow Ledbetter was recorded...hardley long enough for him to preform it enough to get noticed to have a band steal it

JamStone
09-25-2009, 01:54 PM
If you weren't sure, Kenny Wayne was a musical prodigy who was performing very young. Yes, he was performing at the age of 13 already. And when you're that young and performing live with other blues and jazz professionals, you do get noticed.

How many blues riffs did Michael McCready write? Why is the song called "Yellow Ledbetter?"

Hey, I don't know for sure. I'll admit that much. But, too much coincidence for something not to be up.

ATRAIN
09-25-2009, 02:08 PM
I know its wikipedia but

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_Ledbetter

JamStone
09-25-2009, 02:22 PM
I did some other research reading as well, and I guess I'm wrong based on what I've read. So I apologize. It appears that Kenny Wayne said in some interview that it in fact is coincidence that the two songs sound the same. Further, I guess both actually wrote the riffs in honor of Jimi Hendrix' song "Little Wing" and at least Kenny also was influenced by SRV's "Lenny." All this time, I thought Pearl Jam was actually paying respects to Kenny Wayne. How weird of a coincidence though that they named the song "Yellow LEDBETTER" and Kenny's first album was "Ledbetter Heights." I thought that was the give-away that Pearl Jam was kind of saluting him with the title.

I was wrong. I apologize to Pearl Jam and to Thunder Dan.

Thunder Dan
09-25-2009, 02:27 PM
If you weren't sure, Kenny Wayne was a musical prodigy who was performing very young. Yes, he was performing at the age of 13 already. And when you're that young and performing live with other blues and jazz professionals, you do get noticed.

How many blues riffs did Michael McCready write? Why is the song called "Yellow Ledbetter?"

Hey, I don't know for sure. I'll admit that much. But, too much coincidence for something not to be up.

but you are saying that they stole the name of the song from an album that was recorded 5 years after they already recorded and named the song

Kenny Wayne writes the song and preforms is at the age of 12 (or possibly before this) writes the riff, preforms it enough to get noticed by a newly formed band in Seattle (K.W.S. resides in Louisiana as a 12 year old)

Pearl Jam steals the song written by a 12 year old in Louisiana and names it after that kid's first album which won't come out for another 5 years. At no time during the song to the words "Yellow" or "Ledbetter" appear so this is just a case of Pearl Jam really being unlucky

The stolen song reachs #21 on the Billboard charts as an unreleased song off the Jeremy single and KWS, now a 15 year old, does not even claim to have his song stolen

actually, now that I think about it, Kenny Wayne stole it from pearl Jam as the song sounds similar, and Kenny's album is named after the song.....that makes alot more sense if you ask me

Thunder Dan
I did some other research reading as well, and I guess I'm wrong based on what I've read. So I apologize. It appears that Kenny Wayne said in some interview that it in fact is coincidence that the two songs sound the same. Further, I guess both actually wrote the riffs in honor of Jimi Hendrix' song "Little Wing" and at least Kenny also was influenced by SRV's "Lenny." All this time, I thought Pearl Jam was actually paying respects to Kenny Wayne. How weird of a coincidence though that they named the song "Yellow LEDBETTER" and Kenny's first album was "Ledbetter Heights." I thought that was the give-away that Pearl Jam was kind of saluting him with the title.

I was wrong. I apologize to Pearl Jam and to Thunder Dan.

it's cool, I just like busting balls :toast

ATRAIN
LOL dan he said he was sorry

Thunder Dan
09-25-2009, 02:29 PM
LOL dan he said he was sorry

I already typed all that out and wasnt letting it go to waste. I'm not a big Yellow Ledbetter man myself so I would be all for finding out it was stolen

JamStone
09-25-2009, 02:39 PM
To be honest, I didn't know all the dates of the recordings and releases of the two songs. But I did know Kenny was a child musical prodigy performing very young and had a reason to be linked with the word Ledbetter. It was plenty of assumptions on my part, but that's what I did figure, for like the past 12 years or so. Never did research on it until today. Just figured that was what it was. So stupid me for those assumptions. I just listened to SRV's "Lenny" and yeah that has to be as big an influence as "Little Wing."

Thunder Dan
09-25-2009, 02:50 PM
To be honest, I didn't know all the dates of the recordings and releases of the two songs. But I did know Kenny was a child musical prodigy performing very young and had a reason to be linked with the word Ledbetter. It was plenty of assumptions on my part, but that's what I did figure, for like the past 12 years or so. Never did research on it until today. Just figured that was what it was. So stupid me for those assumptions. I just listened to SRV's "Lenny" and yeah that has to be as big an influence as "Little Wing."

no big deal. I didn't know charlie sheen and emilio estevez were brothers until a couple months ago