PDA

View Full Version : Cali fires again

holcs50
08-31-2009, 08:19 AM
It seems its like a yearly thing now. Another two firefighters have died, unreal. The true thing about socal is you have a lot of dry brush and hills which make a perfect prescription for raging fires. I live on the beach in a city north of downtown san diego (still in SD county-del mar), and the fires from a few years ago absolutely scary. Picture looking at the horizon east and seeing nothing but smoke and red...that's what it looks like, and don't forget the ashes that poor down on you. If u wear a white shirt out for 1 minute-you will walk back in with a grey shirt. People who don't know socal think oh this earthquake thing...i laugh at that...it's fires. Happens every year and sucks considering people lose homes/families and that i have many friends who are fire fighters.

spursfan09
08-31-2009, 09:12 AM
I have an urge to rewrite your post for you.

boutons_deux
08-31-2009, 09:23 AM
In Oct 07, I was sitting on the beach at The Trestles/San Onofrio with it snowing ... ash from Camp Pendleton.

Made for some very weird sunsets, too.

Trainwreck2100
08-31-2009, 09:30 AM
When a forest grows too wild a cleansing fire is needed

ploto
08-31-2009, 09:32 AM
Part of me is bothered that the firefighters continue to risk their lives to save homes that shouldn't keep being built there. Forest fires are a natural phenomena.

boutons_deux
08-31-2009, 09:53 AM
"forest grows too wild"

ain't no such thing. A forest is much smarter than humans.

btw, nearly all these fires in CA and elsewhere are started by pyromaniacs, with stupid people coming a distant second.

SonOfAGun
08-31-2009, 10:25 AM
If the forests were smarter than man they would have counteracted the axe by now.

Shelly
08-31-2009, 10:27 AM
My friend's husband is LAFD and knew the two firefighters that died. :(

baseline bum
08-31-2009, 10:34 AM
Damn, my favorite part of the LA area is going up in flames. I hope the firefighters can save Mount Wilson.

CosmicCowboy
08-31-2009, 10:37 AM
From another article:

Four firefighters have been injured and three civilians have suffered burns, including two who were badly burned on Saturday after they tried to ride out the fire by sitting in a hot tub.

uhhh...think drugs might have been involved in that one?

Extra Stout
08-31-2009, 11:07 AM
Thanks to the now-imploded real estate boom, lots of new ignition sources were introduced to an area least able to accomodate them.

So not only has the economy gone up in flames, the state literally is going up in flames.

And they're still two or three months away from the Santa Ana winds.

These days, only a madman would move to California.

baseline bum
08-31-2009, 11:10 AM
Thanks to the now-imploded real estate boom, lots of new ignition sources were introduced to an area least able to accomodate them.

So not only has the economy gone up in flames, the state literally is going up in flames.

September is usually when Santa Annas start getting bad. I hope they do wait a month or two.

CosmicCowboy
08-31-2009, 11:16 AM

I was staying in the Brentwood area a couple of weeks ago and was amazed at how high real estate prices still are...they sure don't seem to be seeing a real estate bust there...

Shelly
08-31-2009, 11:22 AM
September is usually when Santa Annas start getting bad. I hope they do wait a month or two.

And then more pyros will come out! I'm assuming these fires are from arson?

Trainwreck2100
08-31-2009, 11:34 AM
"forest grows too wild"

ain't no such thing. A forest is much smarter than humans.

btw, nearly all these fires in CA and elsewhere are started by pyromaniacs, with stupid people coming a distant second.

Yeah cause forrest fires started with humans

CubanMustGo
08-31-2009, 11:52 AM
Right now you have to hope that the hurricane that's S of Baja Cali will just travel up the coast and bring some relief to the area.

angelbelow
08-31-2009, 12:10 PM
fucking forest fires... for those who say they are natural... not a fire that big.

IronMexican
08-31-2009, 12:11 PM
We went from 75 degrees this entire summer to about 95 the last week or so. Sucks ass.