PDA

View Full Version : Tim Won't Play Against Portland

Experiment2100
04-11-2005, 01:25 AM
Spurs notebook: Duncan won't suit up against Trail Blazers
Web Posted: 04/11/2005 12:00 AM CDT
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

OAKLAND, Calif. — Tim Duncan moved another day closer to returning to the court, but not close enough for him to play Tuesday against Portland.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said Duncan, who hasn't played since spraining his right ankle on March 20, won't be in uniform for the Spurs' next game.

Duncan had a good workout Sunday afternoon at the University of San Francisco, Popovich said.

"He's starting to get more confident on lateral movement," Popovich said. "It's still tough to change direction quickly. He had to gather himself. But all in all, he's getting close to being able to play minutes in a game."

Roster moves: The Spurs activated forward Linton Johnson III to make room for Rasho Nesterovic on the injured list.

Nesterovic will undergo an MRI on his left ankle today or Tuesday. He is expected to be sidelined at least until the start of the playoffs.

Nesterovic sprained his ankle late in Saturday's third quarter. He missed six games earlier this season after spraining the same ankle.

Nice assist: Robert Horry gave Tony Parker credit for helping him block Mikki Moore's shot in the final seconds of Saturday's victory over the Los Angeles Clippers.

After Horry hit a 3-pointer with 22.2 seconds left to give the Spurs a 125-124 lead, Clippers point guard Shaun Livingston drove into the lane and found Moore. Moore had a point-blank look at the basket, but Horry blocked him at the height of his jump.

"Tony distracted him enough that he was worried about him and he didn't see me," Horry said. "He was trying to get up quick and put it up on the glass and I was able to get there."

Horry also didn't hesitate when he shot his 3-pointer.

"With me, I can feel if I can get my feet set," Horry said. "It was perfect position to get my feet set and get it off."

Looking good: Golden State entered Sunday having won 11 of its past 12 games, including eight in a row — its longest winning streak in 11 years.

Baron Davis has had a lot to do with the Warriors' renaissance. The team acquired him from the New Orleans Hornets on Feb. 24 for Dale Davis and Speedy Claxton.

Golden State also traded veterans Clifford Robinson and Eduardo Najera in separate deals.

"I just think the strong presence of some of our older guys maybe in a way stifled some of the younger guys, who deferred to the older guys in terms of leadership," Warriors coach Mike Montgomery said. "Now it's a younger group. They're feeling more comfortable with what their roles are out there.

"The fact you're winning also takes some of that pressure away and puts some fun into it."

Since Davis' arrival, Montgomery has seen more selfless play from the Warriors.

"You can see passes being made you wouldn't have seen being made a month ago," Montgomery said. "Guys aren't as concerned about their own shots. Once one guy does it, other guys start doing it."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA041105.4D.BKNspurs.duncan.1c6d1e021.html

There goes my Vbookie money.

Kori Ellis
04-11-2005, 04:01 AM
I wonder if the Spurs would have lost all three on this road trip if he would have played.

I'm all for sitting him until he's ready, but I think he needs to get in a couple games before the end of the season.

orhe
04-11-2005, 06:18 AM
the race for HCA is so exciting
(if we win out, which we really really can)
and Sacramento/Denver beats phoenix (i doubt sacramento would)
then we have HCA!

Taco
04-11-2005, 07:43 AM
Timmy looked good hopping around during the Spurs Double OT Wins vs Cwippers and G.S.

td4mvp21
04-11-2005, 07:58 AM
I wonder if the Spurs would have lost all three on this road trip if he would have played.

I'm all for sitting him until he's ready, but I think he needs to get in a couple games before the end of the season.

Yeah we only have five left. He difinitely needs to play the next game if not Portland. He's gotta get some sorta rhythm going into the playoffs.

sa_butta
04-11-2005, 08:28 AM
How bout playing the last 3, starting Saturday 16 in Memphis.
3 good games to get into the groove for the playoffs.
2 in Memphis (A possible 1st round matchup).

Frenchise player
04-11-2005, 10:31 AM
In his last interview, Tony says that Tim will problably come back at the end of the week and play against Memphis.
He also says that Rasho will miss at least 10 days and Manu still has some pains and that's why he rested again GS (he didn't say nothing about a stomach virus).

Kori Ellis
04-11-2005, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the info, Frenchise. Was that interview today?

travis2
04-11-2005, 10:45 AM
Where's the thread where you had us guess when Tim would come back? I seem to recall the time period beginning with the 16th was my guess...:angel

Kori Ellis
04-11-2005, 10:47 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13085

Dex
04-11-2005, 10:55 AM
I want my vBucks back. :rolleyes

Jimcs50
04-11-2005, 11:15 AM
This sucks.

I had predicted this date for his return over 2 wks ago, and I was already to declare myself the winner of Prognostication of the year award and now Pop pulls this shit on me.

I think Kori told Pop to hold Timmy out one more game so I won't win the award.

:cuss

:)

Dex
04-11-2005, 11:16 AM
CIA Pop strikes again!

travis2
04-11-2005, 11:26 AM
Hmmmmm...I must be going crazy. It says I didn't bet...I could have *sworn* I did...I remember reading the dadgummed thread and thinking that! :pctoss

Frenchise player
04-11-2005, 11:31 AM
That interview was after his game, yesterday.
He said also that his matchup against Baron Davis has helped him to play like he did and that he was exhausted and will probably have to rest one week before recover completly.
Finally, He says that he was in the restaurant after the game with Pietrus, Baron and Rasho.

spursfaninsocal
04-11-2005, 12:38 PM
:hat i am flyin in friday to see the game saturday....i sure hope he gets to play....!!!!

How bout playing the last 3, starting Saturday 16 in Memphis.
3 good games to get into the groove for the playoffs.
2 in Memphis (A possible 1st round matchup).

spursfaninsocal
04-11-2005, 12:39 PM
someone please tell me if they know if tim gets to play on saturday??? i am flyin in to see the game

Rummpd
04-11-2005, 12:47 PM
I would only bring Duncan in at most the last two games unless Suns lose a game first or two. Otherwise simply not worth the downside period.

HB22inSA
04-11-2005, 03:25 PM
I would only bring Duncan in at most the last two games unless Suns lose a game first or two. Otherwise simply not worth the downside period.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Lakafan23
04-11-2005, 05:18 PM
He needs to get his wind back and brush off some rust. Otherwise there is no way that he'll be able to keep of w/ the likes of K-Mart and Pau Gasol in the 1st round. I hope he comes back soon. :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed